How I Met Your Mother Season Finale Recap: And Barney's Bride Is...

WARNING: If you have yet to watch Monday’s season finale of How I Met Your Mother, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, you may proceed…

Monday’s season finale of How I Met Your Mother finally revealed the identity of the woman who got Barney to do the impossible — get married! — and the lucky lady isRobin!!!

But before we get to that, let’s — in true HIMYM fashion — rewind, so that we may recount the story of how Barney proposed to Quinn. It all started when the now-former bachelor was worried that he had lost his girlfriend forever. But she was, in fact, waiting for him back at their apartment, newly redecorated to look like the “inside of Tinkerbell’s vagina” (it was actually more Hello Kitty-ish, but let’s not split whiskers).

Whew. Crisis averted. But there was more to come…

Reunited, the two headed to the airport for their first vacation together. Unfortunately, Barney’s magic trick box caught the attention of the TSA. He even refused to open it after the guards whipped out their guns. When he finally relented and performed a bit of hocus-pocus, it featured a lot of bells and whistles, and, in the end, an engagement ring. At that point, he popped the question, and Quinn, no surprise, accepted.

Whew. Another crisis averted. But wait, there was still more…

After the couple announced their big news to the gang, Barney joked to Robin, “Last chance to run away together,” before turning serious and adding, “I hope this isn’t weird or anything.” Although seeing her ex make the ultimate commitment clearly was weird (or anything), Robin insisted, “I’m really happy for you.”

Potential crisis averted, we then flash-forwarded to Barney’s nuptials, and it wasn’t Quinn in the wedding dress but Robin! But why did the bride-to-be need to see Ted before walking down the aisle? Was she having cold feet? She did say she never wanted to get married.

Ruh-roh.

Meanwhile, Ted’s love story took a major turn as well after Robin laid into him for “always chasing the wrong women” and encouraged him to contact Victoria, his only ex who could have been The One. When the two met at MacLaren’s, Victoria showed up wearing a wedding gown! Although she was about to tie the knot, she admitted to still having feelings for Ted. However, their plan to ride off into the sunset together was cut short by Ted’s guilty conscience; he’d been left at the altar himself and couldn’t bear to do that to someone else. So he started to drive Victoria back to the church. But, as memories of their time together started flooding back to him, he bypassed the church and headed straight for the aforementioned sunset.

Last but not least, Marvin Waitforit Erikson came into the world and fittingly made his first public outing at MacLaren’s.

HIMYM fans, are you happy Robin and Barney are getting hitched, or were you rooting for Quinn? And do you think there’s any chance Victoria is the Mother?

1. SF says:

I love Victoria! she has been one of my favorites all along from Ted’s women. If Ted doesn’t marry her, send her my way! haha.

2. lily says:

Robin and barney finally get together. LOVE IT

3. Darby says:

I hate that Bareny and Robin are getting together! I hope it’s not Victoria, but I do love the middle name, Waitforit. :)

4. Johnny says:

I would love to see Victoria be the mother, but she just flat out can’t be. As mentioned in previous posts, Ted meets his bride at Barney’s wedding, and she also happened to be in that class on his first day of teaching when he was in the wrong room. In addition, his wife was the room-mate of that one girl who was a student, and at that stage, Victoria was in Europe, and couldnt have been the room-mate. Sorry folks… I too will be sad to watch that breakup, although it will probably happen in the first episode with the car breaking down while they leave, and Ted takes it as a sign that it wasn’t meant to be or something stupid, and he’ll let her go.

• Jason C says:

I really wish people would read reviews with the producers. 1) It will actually have an arc that lasts more than an episode. 2) There was a reason for this happening…

5. legacy92 says:

OK, new theory. The girl that Ted Bumps to at the St Patrick’s Day party is at Barney’s wedding for some reason, but she is the mother’s friend or something

6. asd says:

I WANT VICTORIA TO BE THE MOTHER AND NO BARNEY AND ROBIN!

7. Stef says:

i think Victoria’s gonna be the mother ;)

8. vgrandja says:

I am rooting for Barney and Robin. They are a perfect match! I am forever feeling badly for Ted who wants to find the one but it’s always something. He s with me on this. I was hoping that Victoria was the mother and there were hits in previous posts that Ted’s wife makes the best cupcakes. Victoria makes cupcakes…sooo…it must be her! But alas I was told that Victoria isn’t. But there were clues throughout the show who the wife is. Remember the episode “Wait for it”? At the end of the show there was maybe one or two minutes that showed two women: one blond and the other brunette talking and then leaving MacLaren’s. Why would the crew do that unless it was important? So, I’m thinking the brunette is the mother.

9. vgrandja says:

Now this is suiting up!

10. Shea says:

I know that Robin is not the mother but I don’t like the fact that she is marrying Barney. I wanted Robin to be the mom from the beginning and then they made up all of these clues to count her out.

They’re entitled to write what they want but it might just be me but I felt a real connection between T/R and they are friends. I feel like Barney is a settle. I guess I must move on. My opinion.

11. Luke says:

Its stupid barney and robin ended up getting married because at the end of their first relationship they both looked like crap. quinn and barney would have made a legendary couple. And Ted is flipping useless and he wont get married to victoria because when he began teaching architecture on the first day when he was in the wrong class he said she was there

• Jason C says:

So it’s impossible for a relationship to not work the first time around and work when they try for it again? It couldn’t possibly be the fact that they weren’t ready for each other the first time around? I’m glad you have a degree in psychology and can tell us that something like this would never happen at all…

• Abby says:

ya, i agree with you. Luke, its just a show, and anything can happen, and if you don’t like it then you don’t have to watch it. Just stop hating please.

12. Abby says:

Ok wait, someone please explain to me what happened between Quinn and Barney. They were going to get married but then…just just flashes to the future i guess with Robin? Was there any explanation behind Quinn and where she went?

13. I am so happy that Robin is the bride. I can see them married to each other. She’s the closest any woman can come to as the female version of Barney: commitment phobic, fun fun fun!, and they seem to have the same values.

14. vgrandja says:

I was hoping that Victoria is the mother, but I think Ted needs a woman who is as nice as Victoria but much more emotionally strong–not that Victoria isn’t. Besides, I don’t want Ted to really do what’s been done to him. He’s a nicer guy than that!

15. Brazilian Addicted says:

Victoria is not the mother. Ted met the mother when he was dating her roommate. In the same time, Victoria was in Germany.

16. Sara Grant says:

Yeah guys let’s all forget about the yellow umbrella roommate ankle girl that they literally say is the mother.

17. kiki_:D says:

Victorias the mother!! Ted said in one of the old episodes he met the mother at a wedding and it was love at first sight, exactly how it was with him and victoria!

• He meets his wife at the future wedding of Barney and Robyn. It would be so bad if he did marry her – Victoria runs away on her wedding day with Klaus. I think Victoria likes Ted more than he likes her. He would have visited her, but they broke up within days of her leaving for Germany.

No, I don’t want Victoria to be the mother. It won’t bode well for Ted’s future happiness. In the show he’s proven to be an excellent father but as a husband he still needs to work on it.

18. ST says:

the quality of this show just keeps getting worse since season 5. b&r – a completely unimaginative pairing. rings hollow and feels cheap.

19. Emyleo says:

I knew it all along since the episode about robin is pregnant, then she’s not, then she was told that she can never have kids. That was when robin is telling story to her kids. I cought it when she knew that she can’t hv kids, the doc said if theres anyone she can share with. Then she start imagining telling to ted, then lily, then marshal then she mentioned “your father”. Since then i knew it already. Hehe…So no surprise…

20. Hayley Anne says:

Hmm barney and robin getting married? I was more of a Quinn and barney fan but did expect it to be robin in the wedding dress I thought barney’s proposal to Quinn was 100% awesome.

21. sharna caslick says:

i have been watching this show on and off for so long can someone please tell me who is the mother is it robin?

22. Tim says:

didn’t ted once say he met their mother at marshall and lily’s wedding…??

23. Jimbo says:

A lot of people are criticizing the show very harshly, I know we are entitled to our own opinions , but try to understand the reasoning behind it. It makes sense for Robin to be Barney’s bride since it reinforces the beginning of the story, which is Ted meeting Robin. Lily and Marshall have been the only constant throughout the series, though they had a momentary slip-up when they broke up for a summer. At this point, if you’re not interested in watching the show anymore because of the plot, then you are taking a very petty approach. What keeps viewers tuned in are the characters, whether you agree or disagree with their development.

I knew Barney and Robin would end up together since the first episode. “Oh, yeah, you just know she likes it dirty. Go say hi.”

24. whigrose says:

I’m getting really tired of this show, and the biggest reason is the Barney/Robin angle. I’ve always wanted Robin with Ted when the show ends. They could say the kids were adopted, and this was the story of Ted telling them that–Robin is their ‘mother,’ but not biologically speaking. Whatever. But Barney and Robin together just turns my stomach. I liked him with Nora. I like him even better with Quinn. I wouldn’t even mind him ending up alone if it means he isn’t with Robin. I mean, if Robin can’t be with Ted, I’d rather see all 3 end up alone. Sadly, I’m ready for it to end anyway. It is kind of dragging.

• Why would you expect Ted and Robin to end up together?!?! He would have never said, at the end of the VERY FIRST EPISODE OF HE SERIES, “And that’s how I met your Aunt Robin,” if she was going to be their adopted mother at the end of the series!!

25. no1important says:

i’m not a fan of this show in the slightest, i watch because i have to…but i like to think that because ted is going into so much detail of his past relationships; how he met them, how much fun they were, how hard they were, then how and why they split up, that he’s going to break it to his kids that he and their mother are splitting up! that this is how he met their mother, then it’ll go into how happy they were, then how they had their first child and how happy they were, then their second and how happy they were, blah blah blah, it just seems that he’s telling them about relationships and how they are to help them understand how the relationship with their mother came to an end, i’m blatantly aware that this isn’t what’s going to happen…and just to finish, ted is an awful character and i don’t care who ends up with!

26. Season 7 took a turn for the worst. I’m sorry but halfway through S7 onwards just spiraled downwards. As soon as Ted told Robin he loved her on the roof I just knew it was going to end badly. And it did! And why the hell did Victoria come back into it? They can’t just do that. And I can’t believe Ted said it sucks to be left at the alter, then changes his mind just because some one time memories come back to him. So crap! Thumbs down. Booooooo.