Fall TV Preview

NBC Fall Schedule Revealed: Community Moving, Smash Delayed — Watch New Show Clips!

Get More: Fall TV Preview, News

Community Season 4NBC is the first broadcast network to unveil its official game plan for the 2012-13 TV season, and the biggest news regarding returning shows is that Community is relocating to Fridays at 8:30/7:30c where it will follow Whitney. Also of note: Smash is being benched until midseason and The Office has formally been renewed for a ninth season.

Among new fare, the J.J. Abrams/Eric Kripke thriller Revolution has landed Smash‘s plum Monday/10 pm time slot after The Voice, and the Matthew Perry sitcom Go On will be paired with Ryan Murphy’s comedy The New Normal on Tuesday.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

On tap for midseason, in addition to Smash: new cycles of Celebrity Apprentice, Fashion Star, Betty White’s Off Their Rockers and The Biggest Loser; new comedies Save Me, 1600 Penn and Next Caller; and new dramas Do No Harm, Infamous and Hannibal.

RELATED | Is Community Losing Showrunner Dan Harmon?

All told, the NBC schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details. Scroll down farther for clips/trailers from all of the new dramas/comedies:

MONDAY

8:15 pm NBC Sunday Night Football

SUNDAY (Post-football/Winter 2013)
7 pm Dateline NBC
8 pm Fashion Star
9 pm The Celebrity Apprentice
10 pm DO NO HARM

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Are You There, Chelsea?, Awake, Bent, Best Friends Forever, Chuck, Free Agents, Harry’s Law, The Playboy Club, Prime Suspect and The Firm.

Comments (193)

• TBS needs to save Community from a horrible time slot and put it together with Cougar Town . . .then we all win . . .COOL COOL COOL COOL

Comment by Emily – May 13, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it astonishing that they renew 30 Rock and say it’s the final season, but they don’t do the same for The Office. Most of the original cast is wanting to leave… it’s time to end it. 9 seasons of The Office is overkill, I hope they end it there and don’t try to drag it on for a tenth. We’ll see what happens in winter…

Comment by Babybop – May 13, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is their last season. I read that the cast had been quiet about it until now. I love the office but it, sadly, has ran its course. I loved Michael but became used to Andy being Mgr. I hope that their careers do well after the show.

Comment by kelly – September 4, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that Community got such a great lead-in. (Rolls eyes) Did Whitney really get a full season? If so, NBC is a bigger group of fools than I thought. Whitney a full season when great shows like 30 Rock, Up All Night, and Community get cut back? However, I am grateful that they are coming back at all. Sigh. If Community, Parks and 30 Rock are gone from NBC, I will be too. Nothing else worth watching there.

Comment by Leah – May 13, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think some people here need a dose of reality. Community is a ratings disaster with a low amount of viewers, and that number drops practically every episode. Quite frankly, it’s amazing it was renewed at all. NBC these past few years have been pretty amazing toward cult-type shows like Chuck and Community. This is their way of saying thank you for being so loyal to our shows. If Community can some how magically maintain the numbers it has currently on Friday, they’d probably keep. A 1.2-1.4 on a Friday is pretty big hit. If you love Community so much, watch it live. It’s as simple as that.

Comment by malcom1985 – May 13, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, it’s as simple as watching it live while owning a Nielsen box. Doesn’t matter if the rest of us watch it live. It counts for nothing.

Comment by tripoli – May 13, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And they actually somehow count DVR recordings in ratings now too.

Comment by Deena – May 13, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Only for Nielson families. We have three DirecTV DVRs, but we’re not a Nielsen family, so we aren’t counted.

Comment by Kathy – May 14, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This should be good news for Community fans. Whitney regularly gets 4+ million viewers a week, Community barely gets 3. Now the show gets a bigger lead in, and maybe a million more eyes on the show. The move makes sense.

Comment by Drew – May 13, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? We have to wait for Smash to return mid-season? That sucks.

Comment by Paige – May 13, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not only does it suck — it’s short-sighted on NBC’s part.

Comment by Kathy – May 14, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just can’t believe with this schedule there was no room for Awake. Dateline is on twice a week – is that really necessary? Even the Friday night 10 PM slot would be better than not having Awake at all. And then there’s the mid-season renewal of Fashion Star and Celebrity Apprentice – REALLY?

Comment by Linderella – May 13, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I love Awake. It was so refreshing to have something new and different on TV for once.

Comment by Donna – May 13, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The shows you mentioned are all cheap to produce. Awake required actual effort on someone’s part.

Comment by Kathy – May 14, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are we to assume Saturday Night Live is on the schedule? Because it’s not on there, but I doubt NBC would cancel it.

Comment by Sarah B – May 13, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SNL is not a prime time show.

Comment by TV Gord – May 13, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m ok with Community hot having to compete with Big Bang Theory.

Comment by Sg.Grant – May 13, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of these previews, sneak peeks, whatever you want to call them, look promising. The Revoltion might… but if Castle still on Mondays for ABC it won’t matter to me. I was hoping the Matthew Perry one would look funnier.

Comment by Andrea – May 13, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Fire look decent, i’m going to watch it for two reasons, 1). Lauren German, liked Agent Lori Weston & 2). Taylor Kinney is H-O-T HOT!!, hopefully he is shirtless in every scene

Comment by Martin – May 13, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC gets a lot of flack, but I’m grateful for the quality scripted shows NBC pursues. I’m a fan.

Comment by Nadine – May 13, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that Community is on Fridays, I have absolutely no reason to watch NBC on Thursday.
    Thanks NBC! :D

Comment by Juan – May 13, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get that Community is not for everyone. I think it’s amazing and wonder why non-viewers feel a need to write that “it sucks” – with no specifics. I don’t go on forums dissing Rules of Engagement, because I don’t watch it and so know nothing about it.

Comment by Nadine – May 13, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Smash til midseason – I don’t think that is going to be good for the show…:/ unfortunately because I do like that show. Chicago Fire has some nice looking guys on it… it could be interesting to tune in to…maybe. I might watch the Revolution.

Oh I too want to know about The Sing-Off…

Comment by Robin – May 13, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m mad as hell at NBC booting ‘Law & Order: SVU’ to 9/8c AGAIN! I bet NBC gonna get calls from parents whose kids are going to school yelling, “signs of penetration with a foreign object. raped, shot in the head.” Plus it’s going to be killed by ‘Idol’, ‘Modern Family’, ‘Criminal Minds’ and a few choice others! Shameful NBC. And I saw a preview of ‘Chicago Fire’, a colassal waste of time and energy; Dick Wolf ought to be ashamed!

Comment by Jason W. – May 13, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps those parents should be monitoring what their child is watching. Don’t blame that nonsense on a time slot.

Comment by tripoli – May 13, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, like I can do that when I’m busy enough as it is. Besides, after a long day, SVU at 10 is a good thing. Now I’m probably going to miss it. F**k NBC.

Comment by Jason W. – May 13, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Zero hours for NBC from these eyeballs.

Comment by Zack B – May 13, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community could do good on Friday. Whitney is a better lead in than the other Thursday shows. Besides there would be no competition for them. Only shows I’d tune In for is svu which should move back an hour and Chicago fire.

Comment by Cody – May 13, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How come Revolution was the ONLY new NBC show they released an actual trailer for? Everything else is just a single clip. Doesn’t really make me all that interested.

Comment by George – May 13, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taylor Kiney shirtless. Thank you NBC!

Comment by mandy – May 13, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I mght have missed it, but is there are any news on The Sing-Off, The Marriage Ref, Who Do You Think You Are?, Minute to Win It, or It’s Worthy What?

Comment by Nate – May 13, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I mght have missed it, but is there are any news on The Sing-Off, The Marriage Ref, Who Do You Think You Are?, Minute to Win It, or It’s Worth What?

Comment by Nate – May 13, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love at Billy Burke, being a badass. I’ll definitely give Revolution a chance, though these types of shows don’t tend to last long on NBC. Also looking forward to Go On and The New Normal. On the fence about Chicago Fire, Do No Harm, and Infamous.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – May 13, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG. Revolution looks absolutely fantastic !

Comment by Kat – May 13, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Putting 30 rock against the big bang theory since it is it’s last season….well played.

Comment by Matt – May 13, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revolution looks Awesome!!!!!

Comment by Alex – May 13, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 3 Hrs of the Voice Per Week … I preferred Biggest Loser instead of The Voice.. The Voice is very boring. Also Why is SVU going to be up against Criminal Minds that doesnt make any sense at all

Comment by Andres – May 13, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One More Thing Revolution Looks Awesome but Sigh I Give it One Season since NBC Cancels everything or Shortens everything,

Comment by Andres – May 13, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted to like this trailer for Revolution, but it’s just an inordinate amount of clichés, isn’t it? Also, where’s the fun in that New Normal show? There’s a soapy drama there (I’d not watch anyway), but absolutely no comedy in it.

On the other hand, Animal Practice and Go On seem to have potential, but I don’t know. I tend to see the bad ones more easily. May they come and we’ll watch as many as possible.

Comment by godzilla's_foil – May 13, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to hear that Smash isnt coming back in the fall. NBC isn’t cable and they will lose more viewers with this strategy! And twice a year The Voice? Big mistake. Love the show but not twice a year.

Comment by Sue – May 13, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC continue’s to Britta itself every year. Atleast i only have to tune in once a week for an hour and a half. 8:30 to 10 every Friday.

Comment by Daniel Hanna – May 13, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Save The Firm and Harry’s Law!! I’m tired on so many reality shows.

Comment by Janet Nelson – May 13, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First of all, I’m pretty pleased that all of my favorite comedies are returning next season, even though some of them may not be long for this world. It’s hard for me to see so many comments that “NBC Sucks” when they have actually been the home of my favorite comedies of the last few years! The Office, Parks & Rec, 30 Rock and Community (and to a lesser extent Up All Night and Whitney–while not being great, I do find enjoyment in watching) are among the sharpest, smartest and most well-written comedy shows on tv, yet have enough goofiness to them that shouldn’t put people off as being “too smart” for the average television viewer to enjoy.

In fact, it’s the average television viewer that I think “sucks” in this case! The Office is still a successful show with good ratings, yet I don’t understand how fans of The Office are not watching 30 Rock, Parks & Rec. or Community when they share the same comedic sensibilities, sharp writing and sense of humor!? How can some people say “Community is the only show I watch anymore”? If you like Community, you would and should like Parks & Rec! Or 30 Rock. Or The Office. Frankly, it’s not NBC who has let these shows down, it’s the American viewing public who has! I’m surprised these shows have lasted as long as they have, and realistically, how long are NBC expected to hold onto a “failing” show with low ratings before cancelling it? They stuck with these shows longer than I would have ever expected them to if they have such low ratings.

And that’s not even to say what poor taste most of America has when boring, clichéd, unoriginal dreck like “Two and a Half Men” is the number one “comedy” show and massive hit that it is…or American Idol, pumping out manufactured pop “stars” that are basically carbon copies of one another.

I look at it like this: NBC gave us the “gift” of these shows and we squandered it by not supporting them. I can only hope that in the future, shows like these can be developed and florish on smaller cable networks where the stakes aren’t so high, where they don’t need to be dumbed down for the mainstream or a massive hit to generate enough advertising dollars for their big network overlords. Places like AMC or TNT, where they’d be happy to cultivate a smaller but loyal following for critically-acclaimed shows. Take Mad Men for instance: from what I understand, Mad Men has built up to, over the course of 4+ seasons, around 3.5 million viewers per week AND IT’S ARGUABLY THE BEST SHOW ON TV! With numbers like that, Mad Men would have been cancelled a long time ago if it was on NBC, CBS or any of the big networks, regardless of the quality…yet AMC is happy as hell to have that show in their stable!

ON A SIDE NOTE: Has anyone heard whether or not Community, Parks & Rec or 30 Rock have gotten a full season next fall or (like some other articles rumored last week) are they really cancelled but given 13 “send-off” episodes to wrap up their storylines and finish up the series? 30 Rock is already syndicated on Comedy Central, but I would think that Community and Parks & Rec should be close to being eligible and maybe NBC is holding off til then to pull the plug?

Comment by NIL8R – May 13, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jesse Spencer so I want to check out Chicago Fire but if it’s on at the same time as Revenge, then Revenge will win every single time. Sorry Jesse, LOL ;) (I guess this is why recording devices were invented though so I should still be able to see it eventually, LOL)

Comment by Heather – May 13, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least that piece of garbage Chelsea Handler’s show will not be renewed.. so Yay NBC on that.. Now to just get rid of ‘Chelsea Lately’ on E! and never hear from that haggard-looking woman and life will be perfect

Comment by Tyler Jones – May 13, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood and Chicago Fire.
    Smash in 2013, however I have this feeling Chicago Fire will not last and they will bring Smash in early.

Comment by sarah – May 13, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They don’t even bother programming on Saturday?
    And networks wonder why no one watches them anylonger. Come on, most young people are out, but what about the nerds, less attractive women and older folks? Buy Walker, Texas Ranger reruns if you have to.
    Likewise, why not put Chicago Fire on Thursday night after their (relatively) high rated comedies instead of putting Brian William’s throw-away show there?
    Oh yeah, they want people to watch NBC’s less than objective news during an election year. :) :)

Comment by Captain Nice – May 13, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revolution, 1600 Penn & Infamous join Grimm & Smash on my NBC list

Comment by Nick – May 13, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always think it’s funny the way people say Friday is a death slot, just because as a kid growing up in the 80′s a lot of my favorite programs were on Friday night. I wonder why Friday became such a TV night.

Comment by John – May 13, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is sad. Am I the only one who will miss awake?

Comment by Donna – May 13, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse Spencer’s awesome (loved him in House), so I’ll give Chicago Fire a try.

Comment by Kate – May 13, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only see four shows on this entire network that I’m even interested in watching, Grimm, Parenthood, SVU and Smash and Smash is going to be held to mid season.

Comment by rycki1138 – May 13, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community just got Chuck’d. Oh nbc why do you do this to these amazing shows

Comment by Louise – May 14, 2012 02:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The networks have finally smartened up concerning the cancelling of “popular” (die-hard fan base but low ratings) shows. Instead of outright cancellation, they now give them a final season of 9 or 13 episodes. Everyone is happy and the network doesn’t end up with FB petitions, nasty emails, hacking attacks, etc.

Comment by Bob – May 14, 2012 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad about BFF.. seriously SUCH a good show. Idk what the heck they’re thinking.

Comment by K_Frem – May 14, 2012 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH is the one that got ripped off here..number one show on TV gets midseason? um, wtf on that one?…

Comment by Scott – May 14, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Harry’s Law is the highest rated show on the network at the moment and it does not rate any kind of renewal?! and why? Because the old folks are the one watching it. Hopefully someone will find a way to save it.

Comment by Wendy H – May 14, 2012 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um, Wendy? 50 isn’t exactly ‘old’….

Comment by Kathy – May 14, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares if Community is on Fridays? I will DVR it and watch it over the weekend. Thank you NBC for sparing this show!

Comment by Carl – May 14, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why renew Smash just to push it to mid-season? What a mess.

Comment by Lauren – May 14, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love The Office, but it has been declining steadily ever since Michael left. I hope/think this will be the final season. The only NBC shows I watch now are Parks and Rec., Grimm and The Office and I am going to have to see this ‘Revolution’.

Comment by Spencer – May 15, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post