Idology: Joshua's Landmark Moment! Phillip's Big Comeback! And Jessica's Underdog Status?

American Idol‘s Season 11 Top 3 is in place — thanks to Joshua speaking an alien language, Phillip stripping down (musically, not literally, of course), and Jessica demanding that you’re gonna luh-uh-uh-uhhhhhh-vvee her.

VIDEO | Idology: Elise Testone on ‘Vienna,’ ‘Whole Lotta Love’ and the Moment J.Lo ‘Crossed the Line’

On this week’s Idology, Season 6 star Melinda Doolittle and I discuss Joshua’s insanely good performance of “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” while also offering the kind of constructive criticism that the Idol judges have ceased to give him; debate whether or not Phillip deserved to outlast fourth-place finisher Hollie Cavanagh; and try to figure out why the judges’ praise for Jessica always seems so muted. Plus, there’s a little bit of Buffy, a dash of Sherlock, and Melinda’s shocking war cry on Jessica’s behalf.

So press play below for all the Idology your doctor could recommend, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. David Cook AI7 Winner… a rare and natural talent.. performed his NEW single “This Is The Last Song I’ll Write For You” and yes Michael.. we should all call our local radio statio and request it!! From past interviews, I get the vibe that you appreciate the accomplished musician songwriter platinum selling artist, David has become. Certainly Mr. Cook has raised the bar for all musicians and men alike! So from this David Cook fan.. Im saying Thank you Michael for opening this segment with praise for David Cook!

• deedee says:

OMG, NyCArole, are you paid to do PR for Cook? rofl.

I love him. LOVED him in season 7. He was everything an Idol contestant should be. But despite my eternal adoration for David Cook, I didn’t love the new single. It’s ok, but pretty lightweight and forgettable. I’d love to hear something more modern and melodic from him. But, as always, I wish him the best!

2. miranda says:

the way that jessica just stand there and sing “and i am telling you” is a message to critiques that you do not need to throw your hair back, run around the stage, dance like crazy and be like joshua to give an emotional and spectacular performance. Her perfect phrasing, how she sustained those incredible long lines, going from high to low then to high without taking a breath just says that she can deliver a first class performance all the way! She deserves to be there!

3. Shari says:

Next week song choice will be the deciding factor. Especially for P2. He has to nail it. One slip up from any of them and they could go. Thanks MIchael for the shout out for David Cook. His new song is amazing.

• Casual Fan says:

I think Jimmy will give him a good song. I do not trust the judges’ choices though. I feel like they will railroad someone. Who? Let us see.

4. givemeglenn says:

I’ve been reading these posts over the past 12 hours or so and I have to say how disappointed I am at how personal They’ve become between each of you as well as towards each of these young singers. First of all, each of them are 21 years of age or younger and have their entire careers ahead of them and I would dare any of you to put yourselves up on that stage, in front of millions of people, and attempt to do what they’ve been doing every week. Just learning so many songs in such a short amount of time is a monumental task and they should ALL be commended. Next, they are all different types of singers, drawing different audiences. Why is it does anyone have to slam a singer, or their fans? Why can’t you just appreciate, and support, your own favorite?

It’s perfectly fine if you want to explain why you think who will be in the finals and why, but you don’t have to be insulting when you do so (screeching, another white boy, etc.). Racist comments; ANY racist comments, whether it be against ANY of the THREE remaining contestants is TOTALLY uncalled for.

I personally like Phillip because I like his style and think he’s the most relevant singer left in the competition (not to mention my family knows his family). I like Gospel/R&B, and I think Joshua is AMAZING; and I think he should be in the finale with Phillip. I also think Jessica has had some AMAZING moments on Idol, HOWEVER, I personally don’t “feel” her connection most of the time and see her more as a Broadway, movie, or TV “star” rather than someone who will be an immediate musicical success. I DO think that she will blossom in a couple of years, however, and when she does, she could be the next Chistina Aguliara; she’s THAT good vocally. Jessica just needs maturity. I think she should have waited a year or two to enter AI and I have NO doubt she would have won.

As far as the finale, like I said, I personally think Joshua is an amazing singer, however, I think he is pigeon-holed into a single category and it’s one that I just can’t listen to very regularly. On the other hand, Phillip has shown he can sing Usher, Michael Jackson, Jimmy Hendrix, Dave Mathews, and a wide variety of other artists, still making them sound “contemporary”. I personally prefer his style of music and think it is one that you would hear more universally over the airwaves than the other two. But hey, that’s just my personal opinion.

Once again, however, this doesn’t discount the fact that Joshua and Jessica are also amazing singers in their own rights.

5. james allen says:

Need to comment. My wife who is a big Jessica fan was begging me to vote for her since I run a small telecommunications business. I told her I need to be convinced first because I don’t want to be wasting resources on what I thought was a “silly” exercise. After watching her sing fallin, boy was I hooked!!! The runs that she made on that song was unbelievable. Up to now, she continues to amaze me. I even told my staff to vote for her using the current facilities that we have (show and voting starts usually after office hours) and they willingly obliged (half of them are Filipinos). OUR VOTES are MASSIVE and definitely LEGIT.

• givemeglenn says:

Well, I could say that there are about 100,000 fans of Phillip in Southwest Georgia who are united and voting for him multiple times that are also legitimate. Does this mean anything?

• james allen says:

Mine is based on FACT and yours is based on ASSUMPTION. Anyway, I’m not here to argue with anybody. Just to let a lot of people know that JESSICA’s votes are quite LEGIT contrary to what others say… just sayin…

• deedee says:

Ugh, james allen, seriously: “contrary to what others say”??. The votes that are not “LEGIT” are the ones coming in *from the Philippines*, not the ones coming from Filipino Americans who are dialing *from the USA*. Come on.

• givemeglenn says:

What makes you think MY comments are based on “assumptions”? Got news for you, my friend, that, too, is a FACT.

Just another FYI, there are a couple of other pretty popular singers from the area; Ray Charles and Ray Stephens. Like I said earlier, Dave Mathew’s wife is also from the area and is supporting Phillip. Ray Knight (former third baseman for the Reds) and his wife Nancy Lopez (women’s Hall of Fame golfer) live in the area support Phillip. And do you want to know something else, they actually LIKE Phillip’s music.

• james allen says:

We actually started this after Jessica was voted off and saved. These are facts based on last week’s voting.

FACT…I have exactly 150 phone lines, 150 working computers, 68 employees who can type at an average of 75 words/min. and who can read captcha faster than a speeding bullet (lol), half of them are Filipinos voting relentlessly for 2 hours (damn!, I’ve never seen a group who are so passionately voting for their kind) plus my wife (who is a Filipina), my wife’s cousins and her friends (12 to be exact). All in all, there are 80 people voting for 2 hours online and through phone lines. FACT…All of them have cellphones (all of them bring at least 3 cellphones every thursday for text voting)…FACT…all of them are used to multi tasking because of the nature of their job. FACT…Guess how many votes we give Jessica?…do the math.

If you can give me figures which you can back up, then I will rest my case.

NOW givemeglenn, your turn!

• givemeglenn says:

I guess your message proves everyone’s point in that you read what you want to read and are combatitive from the get-go. I NEVER contradicted YOUR math, but was merely pointing out there were OTHER blocks as big as, or actually LARGER, than the one you’re claiming. Get over yourself. This isn’t a racial issue.

• james allen says:

RACIAL ISSUE?!? Who’s talking about race here? Just told you that my wife and some of my employees are Filipinos and how passionately they support their pwn (aside from the fact that undeniably this girl is the REAL DEAL!). I was never combative. I was merely basing it on the fact that jessica’s votes are quite legit. And by the way, I’M AMERICAN!!!

• givemeglenn says:

If it wasn’t a “racial” issue, why make a point of highlighting your Philipino employees and wife? Why didn’t you just say your employees and wife? No, you had to make a point of mentioning their nationality rather than leaving them neutral, therefore, it is definitely a racial issue.

• deedee says:

WTF do you mean by “jessica’s votes are quite legit”? What does that even mean? Everybody’s votes are legit. Are you somehow implying that Phil’s and Josh’s votes are not legit? I mean, what’s your argument here? What are you trying to prove by telling us that 80 people who work for you are power voting for 2 hours … as if THAT’S anything new in the Idol world.

• Marsaili says:

and it’s people like you that make the voting a joke and make for a HUGE argument as to why the voting needs to be changed. It’s not fair for anyone’s fans to vote like that.

• james allen says:

I make voting a Joke???I didn’t make the rules, AI did! Tell them to change it and stop barking at me!!!
            Initially, my wife was the only one voting with one phone. We only started this when Jessica was voted off and saved. I cannot force my staff to vote for her if they didn’t like her. It was AFTER WORK and I’m not paying them. It’s voluntary! I bet if I’m power voting for your bet you wouldn’t be reacting this way. And that goes for the rest. JUST KEEP HATIN’ AND WE’LL KEEP VOTIN’!!! And for those who want Jessica to win? Pls. vote!!!

This time I will finally rest my case…

PEACE

• deedee says:

james allen, what “case” are you resting? That you take a singing competition seriously to a ridiculous degree? That you exploit your poor employees by making them “voluntarily” vote for an American Idol contestant while their children are waiting for them to come home after work? Good lord.

• Robin says:

Talk about a voting block! And this is just ONE MORE REASON why Idol should change the voting system! Hope you get front row seats to her show! Good luck!!!

• JAMES says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I want so badly to vote but I can’t because I can’t vote during the voting hours because of work. JESSICA IS SO FANTASTIC! I she is so amazing in her ‘i am telling you I’m not going’ song! I literally can’t compose myself and was whizzing because of too much emotions and awe and amazement. THANK YOU! PLEASE DO YOUR BEST TO PUT HER IN THE FINALE :) GOD BLESS

• james allen says:

We’ll do the best we can. If she doesn’t go through the final 2, I can live with that BUT MY WIFE CAN’T!!! So how’s that for a motivation? LOL

• james allen says:

To givemeglenn…
          What’s wrong with mentioning a nationality? If anybody does that, it becomes a racial issue??? Really??? I’m a FAN, my wife is a FANATIC, and you are a ___ year old boy! Just fill in the blank kiddo, because I do not intend to insult anybody. You are WAY OUT OF LINE WITH THIS RACIAL THING!!!

• Marsaili says:

The man who power votes for a little girl because his wife is a fanatic is calling other people children? And some people had the nerve to blame the power voting on tweens and teens.

• givemeglenn says:

And so now the personal insults start to fly; it took you longer than I expected, but I knew it was coming. Once again, you’ve just proved the point of many of these people who have been criticizing Jessica’s fans. Not once have I insulted Jessica or her singing abilities. You’re the one who came onto the blog bragging and confrontational, and when I called you on it, you’re the one who reacted poorly. That doesn’t make me or any singer I support look bad. I can’t say the same for you or Jessica.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

Obnoxious much?

• Casual Fan says:

Hey James Alien, thanks for the votes. :)

• TC says:

the Idol website clearly says that it will discount any mass voting that they feel are coming from one place-regardless of whether they are from the US or elsewhere.

6. two J's all the way says:

It is so funny about the youtube comments. I “discovered” Jessica last year on youtube while listening to Jazmine Sullivan (Stuttering). Many people make their own videos covering Jazmine’s songs because they are so well written and everyone once in a while I listen to these “home studio” versions. I remember listening to Jessica and I was like wth? Then I went to her channel and saw this girl was legit and wondered why she was not on AI and then found out she was not 16 yet. I knew she was going to be a top contender this year before they even aired the auditions and if you think she was not on the AI radar for the past few years then you do not understand television. I know Simon would have loved to have had her on X Factor but AI got her first and The Voice would have just been a waste.
    Will she win, it is up in the air at this point but I would love to see Jessica and Joshua finale, I have voted for both this season; I do not want to see Phillip win but believe he will do well anyway, especially after that 3 week period where he was purposely trying to get voted off.

7. david says:

EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN FAVORITE CONTESTANT. no matter how hard you push bad comments and harsh opinions about your “unfavorite” contestant to his/her fans’ throat, the fans’ mind would just contradict and will not accept what you are saying. NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT JESSICA SANCHEZ, SHE IS THE BEST FOR ME, AND SHE DESERVES TO WIN. I DON’T LIKE JOSHUA (for so many reasons that you might just don’t get because you LOVE HIM) and I LIKE PHILLIP BECAUSE I FIND HIS MUSIC GREAT. “I bet some joshua fan out there will violently react with what I had just stated”

• deedee says:

I’m a Joshua fan and am not violently reacting, lol. And I’m positively thrilled for you that you love Jessica so much, that it moved you to type it in all-caps. As I’ve said before, I hope she wins because the show would have an easier time molding her into their vision of a pop star than Josh or Phil. Josh and Phil will be fine either way.

• Marie says:

David-typing in all caps is rude and disrespectful. I happen to love Joshua but will not break etiquette rules 101 for blogging in trying to state my case. ALthough Jessica does have a nice voice, she is not nearly as captivating on stage as Joshua-whose voice in my opinion is just as good. He’s a great performer who sings with eviciton and emotion. While at this stage, Jessica is just a great singer. Sorry but that’s how I see it.

8. Jack says:

I’m happy with the final three this year, all are talented singers. In terms of who can become the biggest “star” I think it is probably Jessica. She has the best instrument heard on Idol in many a season. Her vocal range, control, power, and tonal quality is just superb and rare. Assuming she takes good care of that voice, her potential for success is enormous. I also think she can build an international following, maybe more so than any other Idol alum. For all those reasons, I’m going to vote for her and hope she wins. (And I was always someone who thought that Idol should only admit singers over 18 years old! I didn’t count on a pre-naturally gifted vocalist like Jessica coming along.)

9. two J's all the way says:

No Phillip did not tell anyone he purposely was trying to get voted off, it just was obvious in his performance. Any honest assessment would tell you that he should have been gone the week Skylar was eliminated. Not saying he does not have talent and I support him because he is from GA, but hey the facts are facts, he was tanking it.

• deedee says:

Maybe he was tanking because he wasn’t feeling well. Or maybe he had a streak of bad luck. Maybe he built enough goodwill in previous weeks to have his fans pull him through regardless of performance quality.

I’m not particularly a fan of Phil’s, but I will defend him against outrageous claims such as this. Very few things piss me off more than people who say “facts are facts”, when all they’re doing is offering their opinions and assumptions.

• Marsaili says:

Well, you have YOUR facts wrong. He was SICK, he wasn’t purposely trying to get kicked off. The guy has kidney disease and he’s in terrible pain, he even had a shunt put in. I love how people make statements like that are fact, LOL!! Unless Phillip came out and said “I wanted to be voted off”, you have no business saying anything like that. He HAS said he wants to see this all the say to the finale, if he can get there. So your facts are wrong.

• darcy's evil twin says:

two J’s all the way – why don’t you vote yourself off of this board.

10. NedPepper says:

I’ve gone back and forth, repeatedly since the final five….but I want Joshua to win. I think, from his entire body of work on this show, that he should be rewarded for it. (I will say though…I wouldn’t buy any albums from any remaining contestants. I’ll wait for Elise’s album.)

• Chris says:

I couldn’t agree more NedPepper. If you look at the entire season and his entire body of work, Joshua deserves to win the whole enchilada.

11. Stormy says:

Don’t know if Michael will post a “What should they sing” so I’m posting my choices here.
    Joshua – Luther Vandross’ Impossible Dream
    Phil – Santana/Rob Thomas’ Smooth
    Jessica – Disney’s When You Wish Upon A Star

• john says:

How’s about:
      Philip – Lightning Crashes by Live
      Jessica – How Come You Don’t Call Me Anymore by Prince
      Joshua – Lover You Should’ve Come Over by Jeff Buckley

12. Scout says:

Love M squared. Michael and Melinda I would follow you anywhere…. You are adorable and so smart and so insightful. Critique it, heffah. um…. I think heffah might only work when Melinda says it – but you know what I mean? :)

13. HairLikeATeddyBear says:

The proof is in the pudding. It’d be cool if all 3 get to sing ONE original material as Jimmy’s choice (am sure there are heaps of material lyin’ around in interscope which could fit each singer’s style / voice). I mean, they still get to sing 2 other songs – so, can still recoup in case it’s a disaster! That’ll be so interesting and a real test who can really sing!

14. darcy's evil twin says:

Oh my. I am beyond disappointed to read so many ridiculous, personal, and juvenile comments here. How did Jessica’s Filipino heritage become an issue? If someone posts something even remotely negative about Jessica, her supporters make the leap that the person is racist. I guess it says something about how far we’ve come in this country because, in a twist of irony from The Twilight Zone, no one that criticizes Joshua is accused of being a racist.

I’m rooting for P2. Because he’s white. No other reason.
    MADE YOU LOOK. Of course that’s not true.
    Jessica has incredible talent but I’ve never been fond of the Whitney/Mariah/Celine Holy Trinity of Divadom.
    I like both P2 and Joshua. May the best man win!

• Templar says:

If you think it’s bad on this site, take a look at AInet. The rude and aggressive comments by filipinos are so bad that many regulars don’t even post any longer. They dismiss Jessica’s being American and totally discount her father’s Mexican descent. Nothing matters but her mother’s people and they expect Jessica to bring them glory. They even try to cook up ways to vote from outside the U.S..

• darcy's evil twin says:

I kind of wondered what happened to her father in this brouhaha since her last name is “Sanchez”. Kind of reminds me of our president, LOL. Black Americans claim him but his white mother and her family raised him. We get no credit for his success. Oh well.
        One would think Imelda Marcos and her fabulous shoe collection would be all the glory and validation Filipinos would need. ;-)

Jessica’s heritage is really of no concern to me. She’s an American.

15. givemeglenn says:

Supposedly Nigel’s choices for the singers are as the following:

(1) “Imagine” – John Lennon for Phillip
    (2) “Beggin'” – Madcon for Joshua
    (3) “I’ll Be There” – Jackson 5 / Mariah Carey for Jessica

• deedee says:

I was just coming here to post that. The amazing thing is that each of the 3 contestants can do any of these songs. But my best guess is:

1) “Imagine” – Jessica
      2) “Beggin;” – Phillip
      3) “I’ll Be There” – Joshua

“Beggin” is kind of a groovy retro jam with limited range, and P2 could turn it into his funky acoustic Phil thing. I suppose he can do “Imagine”, but that would be super boring.

“Imagine” can give Jessica a “moment” because it’s such a universally loved message song, and she has such pretty tone on the soft stuff. Danger: comparisons to Archie, since it’s his signature Idol song, and it’s been overdone. If she gets “Ill Be There”, then it’s yet another Diva imitation (Mariah).

“I’ll Be There” is a natural fit for Josh … which is why he’s probably not going to be singing this one, lol. If he gets “Imagine”, people will kill him for “gospelling it up”. If he gets “Beggin;” , then he’s been Happy-Feet’d, and we can expect him to be leaving us on Thurday :( .

• deedee says:

Well, I’m wrong. Someone on twitter guessed the same as me, and Nigel tweeted back:

“Nigel Lythgoe ‏ @dizzyfeet

Ha ha No-one has matched singer to the song correctly on all 3?”

So, given all the guesses that he nixed, I’m guessing Joshua’s got Imagine, Phil- Beggin’ and Jess – I’ll Be There. Or not. *sigh*, doesn’t matter. I’m not crazy about any of these, anyway. Hope their other selections are better than these.

• Chris says:

I agree. These song choices STINK. They are either way overplayed, old and too recognizable (“Imagine” and “I’ll be there”) or too obscure (“Beggin”). I think we all could have done MUCH better with song selections for the remaining 3. Here’s hoping the judges and contestants do a better job with song choices

• darcy's evil twin says:

Well, hallelujah, at least no one chose “Hallelujah”.
            And yes, those song choices stink.

• deedee says:

Speaking of “Hallelujah”, I was watching some of the behind-the-scenes stuff on the Idol website yesterday (yes, still over-invested this season *blush*), and Joshua mentioned how emotional he got during Hollywood week singing “Jar of Hearts” and … “Hallelujah”!! Gah! I can’t even imagine it. Kind of glad there’s no footage of it floating around.

• Marsaili says:

I’ve watched all the behind the scene and red carpet interviews and stuff, too, LOL! Yes, I am WAY into this season, i’ve never gone that far before! My sons want him to do Jar of Hearts again, we only got to see a snippet of it when he sang it before—but it brought ME to tears! I love that boys singin!

• givemeglenn says:

Three of Phillip’s top performances have been his renditions from Michael Jackson, Usher, and Jimmy Hendrix (from his homecoming concert) so if he’s assigned “Begging’,” my guess is that he do just fine with it as well. In fact, I think he’d actually do a tremendous job with it.

16. deedee says:

Set list spoilers are up. All I can say is I was hoping someone would sing “My All” by Mariah – and it’s there! Can’t believe it! Betting on Jessica doing it, but am hoping for Josh. It’s a beautiful song.

Here are the spoilers from Ray Chew:

“Imagine” by John Lennon –

“My All” by Mariah Carey –
      “No More Drama” by Mary J. Blige –

“We’ve Got Tonight” by Bob Seger –

“I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” by Aerosmith –

“Beggin’” by Madcon –

“I’ll Be There” by the Jackson 5

“Disease” by Matchbox Twenty –

“I’d Rather Go Blind” by Etta James -

• HairLikeATeddyBear says:

I don’t want Josh to sing another Mariah Carey song. I don’t think he did so well with the first one.
        My guesses – purely based on making things interesting and the fact that Nigel said choices are interesting this week.
        Joshua:
        – I’d Rather Go Blind
        – Imagine
        – We’ve Got Tonight
        Phillip (very obvious):
        – Disease
        – Beggin’
        – No more Drama
        Jessica:
        – My All
        – I Don’t wanna Miss a Thing
        – I’ll Be There

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh dear, “We’ve Got Tonight” is absolutely one of my favorite songs and NOBODY had better screw it up!

• googlecat says:

“Imagine” by John Lennon – Joshua (Judge JLo’s choice)
      “My All” by Mariah Carey – Jessica (Jimmy’s choice)
      “No More Drama” by Mary J. Blige – Joshua (Joshua’s choice)
      “We’ve Got Tonight” by Bob Seger – Phillip (Phillip’s choice)
      “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” by Aerosmith – Jessica (Judge Steven’s choice)
      “Beggin’” by Madcon – Jessica (Jessica’s choice)
      “I’ll Be There” by the Jackson 5 – Phillip (Judge Randy’s choice)
      “Disease” by Matchbox Twenty – Phillip (Jimmy’s choice)
      “I’d Rather Go Blind” by Etta James – Joshua (Jimmy’s choice)

I was 1 out of 4 on the California Dreamin’ songlist, so odds are I’m completely wrong. Oh well, it was fun to play the guessing game.

• RodMod says:

Joshua singing “IMAGINE”????

I could IMAGINE the looks on his father’s CONGREGATION’S FACES!!!

17. givemeglenn says:

If the following is an accurate song list, then let’s put out our best guesses:

“Imagine” – John Lennon. PHILLIP
    “My All” – Mariah Carey. JOSHUA
    “No More Drama” – Mary J. Blige. JESSICA
    “We’ve Got Tonight” – Bob Seger. PHILLIP
    “I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing” – Aerosmith JOSHUA
    “Beggin’” – Madcon. JOSHUA
    “I’ll Be There” – Jackson 5 JESSICA
    “Disease” – Matchbox 20. PHILLIP
    “I’d Rather Go Blind” – Etta James. JESSICA

18. Kitty says:

Where’s noa and MA? I need them to agree that this setlist is crap and that Elise could sing “Disease” SO much better. She could do a seriously sexy growl on that song.

*skips off to listen to “Whole Lotta Love”*

19. Jessica T. says:

I ditto the others who want More IDOLOGY!

20. deedee says:

Oh, no! Joshua is going first and someone who was at rehearsals said he’s singing Imagine tonight. Ugh, can it get any worse? Poor Josh.

• deedee says:

Yes, yes it can get worse. Joshua used an antique microphone AGAIN. Not novelty a second time. And then JLo calls him a “throwback” AGAIN – just to seal in the minds of the public that he’s not current.

We are saying goodbye to Joshua tomorrow. :(

21. FreeHaley says:

Ugh Randy is such a tool (I know shocker). I actually live Iovine’s choice for Jessica the best. And come on Randy calls Phillips last performance the best? Yeah sure it lets him sing but come on that was hardly the moment of the other. I even liked him better on his first song alone. Randy is such a joke, trying to make the pimp spot out of nothing.

• Marsaili says:

Nope, I disagree, Phillip’s last song was the song of the night for me—I thought Randy was right on the money. I love Joshua but the Mary J. song was too much—and I love when he goes off usually! Too dramatic. Jessica was great too, but it didn’t overwhelm me—neither did the Aerosmith song—I thought that was a bad song choice for her. I thought Phillip’s performances were all perfect song choices for him, even the Matchbox 20 song (I don’t know what the judges were complaining about—he did what they asked him to do!) Phillip wins the night for me.

• Amy says:

ITA. I LOVED P2 all night, all year…and that last song…to me (for you, for him, for real?…) was the exclamation point at the end of the Season he needed (and I said this to myself outloud beFORE Mr. Randy said it!..yo..)…to say “yea….I can sing the melody. Next question?” :)
        And he didn’t just sing it….he sannnnnnng it. P3 = P2 Perfection. Love him. Would love to keep seeing him next week.

• FreeHaley says:

The last Phillip song just reminded me how it’s all he can do to manage a basic melody, he pulled it off, but only just. The middle one was a little a dull. First one was pretty cool. It’s cool he has done his whole thing and all and not let the show do anything to his ways but he’s OK.

Liked Jessica’s first one, tough song, that shows some skills! Aerosmith was a little bit of a weird choice since she is just not a rock it out, yeah it was one of their ballads but I mean it was pretty good but maybe she shoulda done something like what she ended with last week there. I loved her last song. I still think Randy was well never even mind on that one. And he also made it sound like it was her fault for no moment picking that, hello didn’t freaking pick it, AND I thought it actually was a bit of moment actually. Nobody had a moment like last week level though.

Joshua was solid.

I want Elise to win! I voted for her like 39 times already. Weird thing is it keeps saying your call can not connect….

OK, OK, barring that I’m tossing my hat into the Jessica ring. Threw her 10-15 votes.

• Marsaili says:

Here’s a tweet from Elise from just a few minutes ago:

Elise Testone ‏@ETestoneAI11
          @PPhillipsAI11 was AMAZING tonight. If you talk any smack about him on my page I will block yo ass!

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Thank God we’re talking smack about him on this page.
            Really, he was okay. I don’t think any of the contestants shone particularly brightly tonight, and I certainly didn’t agree with Randy’s assertion that Phillip’s final song was his best performance to date. Why insult the kid like that? It wasn’t bad but he’s done much better. My favorite Phillip song was the first.
            Jessica was… consistent. Nothing bad, but nothing particular revelatory. I figured that in a night with three songs she could have shown us growling, funky Jessica at least once. I thought Joshua took the night by a hair. No More Drama was a good time, and I actually thought his Imagine was the best vocal of the night. Probably alone there?

• Marsaili says:

I was expecting Imagine to bring me to tears—cause Joshua does that to me a lot–it didn’t happen tonight and I’m kinda bummed about that. Phillip gave me goosies, though! ;-)

• deedee says:

You are alone, yes. I’m the biggest Josh supporter here and I HATED “Imagine”. First of all, he picked it because it was on the radio while he was trying to pick a song? Not much conviction there. Does he not have ant favourite songs he’s been itching to do on the show? Next: He’s a God fearing preacher’s kid choir boy and he’s talking about the “message” of the song? The message is to do away with religion and just be a humanity without the need for heaven or God or anything. Did he even understand that? DIDN’T RANDY? Ugh, very disappointing song for me for you for him for the show. Josh didn’t have a great night altogether, but this was just …. ugh.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I agree with you that the message was confusing and that the origin of the pick was less than inspiring, but I don’t think any of that mattered in the context of the performance. While he was singing, I bought it. I can’t retroactively not have enjoyed it.
            Although I’m sure some of his church-going fans were none too pleased with the pic. Definitely an odd choice, but I think he gave a really good performance.

• deedee says:

I thought Phillip had his best night. Jessica was lackluster all around. And Joshua was a mixed bag.

I actually though Josh’s Mary J Blige song was best of the night. He really let loose, and sounded completely capable of being current and relevant. He might have gone over the edge a bit, but he sold it for me. Hated his “Imagine” – ugh. His Etta James was part great, part not good at all.

Despite Jessica having a really lukewarm night, I think she and Phil are F2. Josh is out. I’ll be surprised if he makes it through. My Josh. I shall miss your brilliance :(

22. Templar says:

OK, I’ll put my neck under the axe, Jessica was not good on any of her three songs tonight. Joshua had two OK ones and one not good. I’m not now, nor have I ever been a fan of Phil, but scary as this is, he was the best tonight. JMO

23. Marsaili says:

LOVE IT!!!!

Elise Testone ‏@ETestoneAI11

24. Veyna Moran says:

oh, debate yourselves to death, my lovelies. where this viewer is concerned, it’s jessica and phillip for the final 2. jessica takes the crown!

25. Cheshire Cat says:

HEY MICHAEL AND MELINDA: do either of you have a theory as to why Joshua seems to never warm up to Phillip? He just always seems outwardly mad/annoyed at him. And when Ryan jokingly called them a “bromance” and “Jillip”, in the background I saw Joshua had the dirtiest look on his face. THOUGHTS ANYONE?!?!

26. Greg says:

FALSE! The Wondrous Melinda made a false statement–nothing Joshua has done is better than what she did. She’s in a class by herself.

27. ashley19 says:

Jessica has no individualism, no artistry, and no originality. She mimics other singers. She has a great voice. But if you give her original material, she sucks. Like the Finale, it was bad. The song of hers was great. She just couldn’t sing it. If you gave that song to Kelly Clarkson, it would have soared. Phillip is an artist and performer. Jessica is a mimic.

28. T_T says:

I had to correct my spelling — cello* :)

29. Suzie says:

Just got tired of this old post having the bottom spot, so I’m moving it up. LOL

30. deedee says:

Was bugging me too, so thanks!

31. givemeglenn says:

I’m now waiting for Jessica’s fans to start complaining that some other singers’ fans have started to monopolize the blog so the order is being manipulated and pointing out another conspiracy theory!

32. Veyna Moran says:

huh? me ganun??? you’ve watched too much x-files, man. this is american idol. tee hee!!! and it’s free for all. you’re welcome to join the rumble. goodbye, joshua! jacob lusk travelled back in time but we found you out, you little screamer. philip is a welcome change from all that screaming. but jessica–youthful, skilled, talented–takes the crown!!! a round of applause for the girls on this blog. rejoice, thy fairer sex!