Idology: Joshua's Landmark Moment! Phillip's Big Comeback! And Jessica's Underdog Status?

American Idol‘s Season 11 Top 3 is in place — thanks to Joshua speaking an alien language, Phillip stripping down (musically, not literally, of course), and Jessica demanding that you’re gonna luh-uh-uh-uhhhhhh-vvee her.

VIDEO | Idology: Elise Testone on ‘Vienna,’ ‘Whole Lotta Love’ and the Moment J.Lo ‘Crossed the Line’

On this week’s Idology, Season 6 star Melinda Doolittle and I discuss Joshua’s insanely good performance of “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” while also offering the kind of constructive criticism that the Idol judges have ceased to give him; debate whether or not Phillip deserved to outlast fourth-place finisher Hollie Cavanagh; and try to figure out why the judges’ praise for Jessica always seems so muted. Plus, there’s a little bit of Buffy, a dash of Sherlock, and Melinda’s shocking war cry on Jessica’s behalf.

So press play below for all the Idology your doctor could recommend, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Sonic Wave says:

I love Idology.

• How can you not love Idology when your two hosts are so in sync that they get pumped over a squeak and the word “Bay-Buh”. Bar none the best Idol coverage out there. Melinda and Michael are always right on the money.

• forrest says:

EXACTLY! idolbethejudge! I watch A.I. to anticipate the commentary here on Idology. The show is the pre-game to the event that is Idology. MD is an excellent co-host and should be a permanent part of this show. Thanks Michael for a wonderful season (even if it’s only ten minutes at a time).

• MamaLis says:

So funny! So good! So entertaining!

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

They need a fricken series on TV. And not just about Idol. These 10 minute spots are the equivalent the 90 second songs the contestants sing in the first rounds. It’s like getting two teeny hors d’ouvres on a napkin when you were gearing up for a sit-down dinner. Sigh…

• wickerpark says:

Yeah bay-buh! It’s about time we have another woman winning AI. And I’m not saying that because I’m hating on the guys (I’m a big fan of David Cook). All I’m saying is that Jessica deserves it and I just don’t understand why the judges are not giving her the praise she deserves. It’s like they’re setting us up for another male winner. Oh well, I’m not giving up without a fight. I’m voting for Jessica all the way bay-buh! Power voting here we come!!!

• Me says:

no they are setting us up for her to win. The more they do that – the more her fans vote. I hate this finale we’re getting.

• Ghost of Kelly Clarkson says:

Thanks, Melinda! I’m officially stealing your phrase, “Sing it, Heifer!”

• Mary B says:

Thank you Michael and Melinda for such a totally fair and objective idology.

• ana says:

Love Idology too. Haven’t watched the show since colton and elise left, but just can’t miss Idology.

• Jane says:

I love Idology, it has a better taste in judging of the contestant than the actual judge of American Idol itself , tnx Michael and M.D .

2. Anna says:

The Judges was correct about the top 3 that it is hard to choose who will be the winner..But what is happening right now is it became a popularity vote than the best singer of the competition…If it will be based on social network followers and fan bases and youtube views the crown will be on Jessica. I hope this year will be a girl year because I’m tired of seeing guys winning. C’mmon gurls,it’s the battle of sexes..Let’s beat the guys for now and like the song of Beyonce! RUN THE WORLD (GIRLS!)

• RodMod says:

Haha! I loooove that darned song!

• Owen says:

Simon used to hate this, because it sorta negated winning the crown, but you DO NOT HAVE TO BE THE WINNER of American Idol to become a star. Jessica may be out next week, but no one should care. That girl is going to be one of the biggest stars this show has ever produced.

• ronnel says:

correct

• Jody says:

I agree, She has a variety of skills that far surpasses Joshua. Joshua’s songs as beautifully and passionaltely as he sings them all blur to the same sound. You sometimes cvan’t differeniate between them. Jessica has skill and changes to tone and texture and mood that make her so wonderful. Menwhil Philip is sooooo unique there are no bench marks to meassure him against. The winner will be a prefference to the mass taste of the american viewers and voters.

• Marsaili says:

Can we just say—they are ALL super talented and leave it at that? they are all so unique and wonderful, I really hate to see people put down one to elevate the others. Joshua has so much talent, emotion and feeling in his singing that he makes me cry—and I don’t even cry at Hallmark commercials anymore! (but OH BOY did I ever when I was pregnant!) Jessica has made me cry a few times as well and Phillip—he doesn’t make me cry—his songs pump me up!! ALL these kids are wonderful and I’m gonna be pleased as punch to see any of them win! But I really want Joshua to win, LOL! :-D

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

I think the best person should win, not someone with particular genitals. But apparently I’m a minority here.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Nope – I’m right there with you. the best contestant should win, but as Colton said, it’s not a talent competition. It’s a TV program.

3. I kinda wish Joshua performed It’s A Man’s, Man’s, Man’s World during top3. Because that would’ve been his Heartless and would’ve propelled him into the finale.
    I can’t see how he’ll be able to top it now… So I’m kinda scared. A P2/Jessica finale would be really boring. :/

• deedee says:

Good point, but I’d argue that both P2 and Jessica will also have a hard time topping their Top 4 “moment” performances. So, maybe the playing field is kind of even because they all did such a stellar job last week.

Also agree that a P2/Jess finale will be a snoozer. Joshua is the fire this year … or the greasy paper bag dripping and messy and threatening to give me a heart attack. :D We need that in the finale!

Excellent advice from Melinda – I’ve been hoping for Joshua to repeat the India Arie tenderness all the way through a song. He’s always tempted to push it over the edge. But this week with 3 songs per contestant, he can afford one soft, quiet performance where his lovely, LOVELY tone can be showcased. His voice is so unbelievably gorgeous when it’s relaxed, I just can’t even … *sigh*

If only he had better knowledge of pop music (he’d never heard of Billy Joel! :-0) because his song selection has been so limited.

• CMC says:

I’ve been saying it for weeks. A P2/Jess finale would be a complete and utter SNOOZER. No Joshua in the finals=-no me watching…

• Marie says:

I think he has more tricks up his sleeve. I didn’t think he could top “When a Man Loves a Woman” but he did with a “A Man’s Man’s Man’s World”. Let’s hope the judge and Jimmy song picks are smart

• HairLikeATeddyBear says:

Exactly my thoughts… what CAN he do to top Man’s World?! His biggest challenge now is to top HIMSELF! I mean… I really cannot think of ANY song (granted, I admit, I’m not Josh and my music knowledge is limited and honestly I don’t have much time to think about this) with that type of soaring / pleading / emotional grip (I know his trick tho’). But then again – yea, I didn’t think he could top When A Man Loves a Woman either. So based on that – I’m sure he’s got something amazing up his groovy sleeves. Y’know what – I don’t even care. I’m just happy to see him do anything really. Any good funk by Josh, is good enough for me! Oooh I just thought of Cold Sweat! (but that doesn’t seem like the kinda songs he wanna sing – no message – damn)

Very interesting week / choices ahead… looking forwaaaaard!

4. chelle says:

Sherlock!!

Anyway, I agree with mostly everything they said. It was definitely time for Holly to go. I was not as big of a fan of Jessica’s Dream Girls song as they were. I thought she attacked it in a not good way

Joshua slayed it. Philip was outstanding. Hate to say it but I wouldn’t be mad at an all male finale.

• Dubliner says:

I totally agree.

• deedee says:

I’m with you. I’m always on the side of talent — I mean the talent that succeeds in moving me. This year it’s Joshua. And between Jessica and P2, I’d rather see P2. So, yeah, I’m ok with another all male finale if Jess is the only girl option left. Not a fanchez

I’d trade P2 for Elise or Skylar, though.

• noa says:

oh… the top 3 that could have been- Elise, Joshua, Skylar. 3 very different very talented people. that would never be boring!!

• deedee says:

Yes! That was my top 3 all season … well, until the girls were criminally kicked off. The 3 best and most interesting performers. I would have been happy with any of them winning.

• chistosa says:

None of the girl were criminally picked off. Each one in their respective week deserved to go. Joshua absolutely deserves to be there and I would have like Elise but she would have an incredible Idol moment and then choose a terrible song. The consistency just was not there although I love her perfomances.

• deedee says:

If consistency is the determining factor, then how do you account for Phil still being there. He’s been way less consistent than either Elise or Skylar. But … it’s Idol.

• MA says:

Well, chistosa, for what it’s worth, I sorta think it’s criminal, but then, I preferred Elise and Skylar to Phillip and Jessica and didn’t think either of them deserved to go. I also just don’t get how Elise was inconsistent. Because she took chances and tried different things? That’s not inconsistent, that’s ballsy. In the real world of working musicians, people do it all the time to gauge audience reaction and see what works. Plus, if she’d done the same thing week in and week out, plenty of us would be in here complaining like we do about Phillip and Jessica…they’re always doing the same thing and we think it’s getting stale. I can see liking one style over the other, but inconsistency isn’t anyone’s problem on this show. I think that they’re all doing what they’re doing on purpose. Whether it works for you or me or deedee or whoever is another story.

• noa says:

@chistosa – even if i agrees that she had any real bad nights that she deserved to go for (i don’t. i totally agree with MA, as always. even the one night she had a performance i didn’t like- Let’s Get It On, i thought she also had the best of the night with No One), i still think that on the week that she left she was the best of the night. on both I Want It All and Bold As Love she amazed me. and i thought i couldn’t love her more than i did and then she had her best night. right after that- she was voted of. so i disagree with you. as for Skylar- sure. on top 5 night she wasn’t as good as Hollie, Joshua and Jessica. or not at her best at least. she had better weeks. but even if i’m glad now that P2 stuck around just for me to discover Damien Rice (i spent the weekend listening to him. i love it!) he was the one that deserved to go. nothing Elise has done was even close to being as bad as Time Of the Season was.

• FreeHaley says:

@chritosa – it was utterly criminal when Elise got eliminated and how much of the ‘bad’ song choices and performances were really that and how much are you thinking that just because of the judges? P2 coasted by on 3-4 weeks of mostly all average performances and at least one out and out awful, etc.

• Suggestor says:

Jessica’s Dreamgirls song was incredible. It was powerful but also vulnerable. She channeled it to mean something relating to her own Idol journey. This version shows she is evolving to adapt her big voice to a song so that it complements her small size. If she had sung it powehouse big all the way through, yes it would be a great vocal performance, but you’ll get that backhanded JLO comment of how tiny she is, or Randy saying she is no bigger than life Jennifer Holliday etc. Therefore, she also included phrasing in there that was tender, even wounded. Like someone who understands they are physically small but is not going to buckle under no matter what. Best of the night for me and I liked Joshua and Phillip’s songs too.

• Name That Tune says:

I wouldn’t be mad if it’s an all-male finale; I have been anticipating it would go that way for a few weeks now. BUT, if the teen girls who vote are the least bit affected by Jessica, she might pull it off. That’s what happened the last time a girl won. Could happen again.

5. love says:

Why the judges are always praising Joshua?It’s like he is the best singer of this competition!!Jessica is amazing on her last performance!!wow!She made me cry!!They overpraised Joshua a lot. That standing ovation to Jessica really deserve it..I don’t know but what I feel right now,It will be Phillip and Jessica in the finale that’s because of overpraise performance by the judges to him.

• You really have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s one thing to say you don’t like his style of singing, that you prefer Jessica, but to say that he was overpraised is bizarro ridiculous. Bat **** cray-cray. (I don’t even know what I’m writing anymore, I’m just flabbergasted.)

• sam says:

I don’t get Joshua, his best was when a man loves a woman, and hate his standing ovations.

• Marie says:

Josh has been praised week after week because he DESERVES it. He’s a phenomenal performer (far better than the others) and I don’t even like soul, R&B music.

• chistosa says:

With all due respect, Joshua is the most talented of the three remaining. Jessica has great pipes but she lacks depth. And I am one of those who did not think that Jessica’s perfomance of And I’m Telling You was all that great.

• Layla says:

Opposite for me. I wouldn’t go so far as saying Joshua has no depth the above did to Jessica. It is obvious to many though that Jessica’s has more depth in her repertoire because she can sing the growl with swag (only Elise or Skylar matched), the powerhouse belter songs (Joshua / Hollie) as well as the fragile tender songs (which Joshua can’t match but perhaps Colton or Heejun on his best nights did).

• Ray says:

Agree with you. I did not like Jessica’s performance. I had a hard time finding the words with all of her screeching. I am rooting for Joshua in the finale, believing that Phil will be in the finale. I wanted a female to win, but the best are out, Elise and Skylar, especially Elise.

• GeorgeR says:

Jessica was voted off. I do not like the save its not fair to other performers who knows if #12 11 10 9 8 would have improved greatly as time went on (like Hollie) and they got more confident. It is great telivision but I do not believe its fair or needed. Yes Jessica is very good I personally do not like her style of music. Im a Phillip fan but will be absolutely fine with Joshua he is a great entertainer

• Suggestor says:

GeorgeR read back several weeks to get caught up on the SAVE thing. Basically, no one knows what would have happened without a save. Jessica’s fanbase may not have been so complacent since it was a fact she was never in the bottom three weeks previous. Knowing that, the save was legit since she is definitely in the top three due to votes.

• Liz says:

The “save” was gimmick. The show pegged Jessica for elimination, knowing that the “save” was still in play. And it created all kinds of drama and speculation. I doubt she was the bottom of the heap that week. I think you forget this is a TV show and the producers have the ultimate say in who wins (perhaps somewhat guided by the votes). But they decide who wears the AI crown, not the voting public. Ultimately they have to do what they think is best for the AI trademark.

6. Marsaili says:

Wow, I didn’t expect Idology so early! Great job as usual! I am rooting for a Joshua/Phillip finale—I can’t wait to see what they are gonna sing this week, I don’t really care which of the wins, they are both SO good! Jessica is awesome, too—but I think she needs a few more years to figure out who she is, otherwise she’s going to be a complete puppet for the Idol machine.

7. ashley says:

i’m so tired of Jessica!!!!! tiny confused Beyonce!!!! okay just had to get that out there. Joshua and PP for the finale, and PP for the win (joshua is “a better singer,” but i prefer the music PP will make. SORRY, I LIKE WHITE GUYS WITH GUITARS). also, PP needs to sing more Urshur because it’s damn sexy. and yes, my daddy lets me date.

• Sheri says:

I also prefer Philip. I am so sick of that growling and squalling stuff. No one is going to buy that music so AI is left with a popularity contest winner and not a true artist. This happens most of the time with these type of shows. Kinda sick of it all. This will probably be my last season to watch. JLoe and her tasteless performances and Tyler with his idiotic comments have ruined the program for me. This is prime time TV where smut and foul language really don’t belong. Sorry.

• Marie says:

Sheri- I think there are a lot of people out there (including a lot of famous soul and R&B singers) who would beg to differ with you about Josh not being a “true artist”. That statement is just proposterous on so many levels

• Adrian says:

Both of u are stupid! White stinking bad taste American. Hahaha!

• Marsaili says:

oh, another Troll. How old are you Adrian? 7? go grow up some in whatever country you are from (I’m guessing probably the Philippeans) and come back when you can have an adult conversation. NEXT TROLL………..

• beth says:

Spell it correctly. Don’t insult the people from the Philippines. They are good people. Great doctors and nurses in our hospital are from that country and I guess they are really, really great. We, Americans, should be thankful for people like them. I guess there’s nothing wrong with Jessica Sanchez. Most staff here are voting for her and I believe she will win.

• Marsaili says:

I have nothing against the people from the Philippines (I knew it was spelled wrong but my spell check wasn’t approving any of my other attempts and I gave up) I was talking about ONE person, not the whole nation. BUT, having said that, we have been just taken over by Jessica fans from the Philippines trying to smear Joshua and Phillip and their fans and I’m sick of it. I have nothing against Jessica, her regular fans or the Philippines, I am sick of the rabid fans that are trolling ALL the AI message boards and Twitter and are just flooding everything with their crap. It’s getting to be over the top.

• Suggestor says:

Marsailli, for all we know another contestant’s fan wrote this. As an adult we should not fall prey to trolling, even badly disguised ones. Lastly, you have not been overtaken by any one from the Philippines. Just look at this comment board and others we read so many imagined variables concerning Jessica. Starting with your comment that she should not win because the Idol machine will turn her into a “puppet”. Really? And how do you know she does not know herself and in that case how many honest people really know themselves?

• Adrian says:

TROLL your face! Haha! I was actually voting for Josh and Jessica is just a second choice. Going back to performances P2 do not desrve to be in Top 3. I would prefer Skylar in his place.

• Nina says:

Excuse me. You were dragging the whole Philippines in your comment by merely assuming the one who posted was from the Philippines. Why then were you assuming that? FYI, Jessica is also being maligned by other fans, calling her horse-face, domestic helper, etc. So please, don’t put down Filipinos by that offensive remark.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Excuse me, but I believe Jessica Sanchez is an American.

• Adrian says:

Prefer Philipp? It should have been titled American Idiots that P2 might win. This is a contest of voices not the looks!

• George R says:

Well Adrian, Phillip has not been in the bottom three. Both Jessica (voted off got the save) and Joshua have been. Phillip might not be the better singer, technically, but he is the one people like me and Many other American “idiots” like and would listen to. Has nothing to do with his looks (for me). Its about the sound, like David Cook (Archiletta was an incredible/better singer but I wouldnt run to a concert) Phillips has a tone like David Cook that I would recognize on the radio immediatly. If he doesnt win, so be it I will still buy his CD and catch a concert. Oh and yes its about the voice but its all about the entire package, otherwise Crystal, Archiletta, Melinda, Mcfee, Adam to name just a few would have won as they clearly were better singers but things like lifestyle, age, style/personality got in the way. The whole premis of who gets on The Voice is based on this problem and even that turns into a popularity contest btw Adrian how many Susan Boyal cds do you own she clearly is one of the greatest singers in the world today……..and even she lost to some little kid with a personality what was his name…….

• George R says:

Right,
        Kara looks great right about now!!!!!! Aside from her over use of Sweety and Artistry she knew what she was talking about.

• FreeHaley says:

Other than tending to get catty at times against attractive female contestants such as Didi et al. she one of the best judges they’ve had. If she could just tame that one flaw a little bit more, she’d be fantastic.

• Owen says:

Jessica just has to get a little life experience to back up the amazing instrument she was given. Dave Holmes’ recap from NY Mag online gives this incredibly precise assessment of Jessica: “And then in round two, she really goes for “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going,” and while it is technically flawless, you cannot escape the reality that nobody has ever asked this girl to be going. Listen: I don’t wish heartbreak on any human being, but it will visit us all, and once Jessica Sanchez gets good and dumped by someone she really loves, she will be the greatest singer of all time.”

• deedee says:

Perfectly accurate. For now, she’s a Selena Gomez type artist, and her audience should be as young and as inexperienced as she is. With Idol viewership skewing older than her target demographic, we’re gonna catch stuff like lack of emotional connection and all that blah blah blah that people keep saying about her. Once she’s signed post-Idol (whether she wins or not), she’ll hopefully be given teen-oriented music until she eventually makes her “comeback” as an “all grown up Jessica Sanchez” (you know that’s gonna happen in about 5 years).

• Marsaili says:

Exactly—she IS a Selena Gomez type–and she should get songs that kids like Selena would sing. I don’t remember which poster it is was who keeps harping on the “there are no appropriate songs for her to sing unless she sings the Mickey Mouse club theme) but that is such BS, there are plenty of teen artists (Selena Gomez, Big Time Rush, Taylor Swift, Lauren Alaina, Scotty McCreery, Victoria Justice-just to name a few—they are all singing age appropriate songs and doing very well in their age demographic—that is where Jessica is now and she shouldn’t be singing songs about being dumped or about sneaking out to have sex—come on!!! Anyone who is ok with this needs to have their head examined—I would never allow my child to sing songs they are too young for, maturity-wise.

• michael m. says:

the truth is if you really have nothing to say about how good she really is, you attack her songs, her choice, her clothing. that’s just how the world goes.

• nikkiqm says:

While I agree that Jessica could be singing way more appropriate songs the songs she has sung are far from risque especially when you consider the current POP market. And Jessica is not a Selena Gomez or Disney type artist. While those kids can sing perrfectly fine they don’t have anywhere near as much talent as her. Also even though questioning age and maturity is important let’s not forget Joshua is only 20(19 when he first started Idol), Hollie is only 18 and Skylar is also only 18. A lot of them are young and I don’t hear as much criticism when they choose more adult songs.

• HudsonRiverside says:

Just about every comment Marsaili has about Jessica on this section is trying to explain to us every which way we should dislike her. Somehow, it is doing the opposite because we see through it. So happy that Jessica and Phillip have a chance for the final! :)

• Marsaili says:

No dumbass, I wasn’t talking about JESSICA, I was talking about her rabid fans and NOT the fans that have been here week after week, either—the new trolls that have been taking over, everywhere. Wow, you people will make up any kind of lie, won’t you?

• HudsonRiverside says:

The NY Mag writer missed the obvious. Which is that a singer does not have to literally live every lyric of a song but be able to tap into something that relates to them. Which Jessica did incredibly well. She related it to her idol journey and her own personal feelings towards it. She even stated so in her interview so the writer chose to ignore her. Dave Holmes does not live Jessica’s life and saying itw as technically flawless is lazy writing, because it was far from a “technical” rendition but an emotionally nuanced one. She did not sing it as people expect the song to be sung technically which are huge powerhouse notes, she was fragile, hurt and even helpless. She pulled back on the belting, before roaring back with defiance. Torn, hurt, fragile are all universal experiences we have gone through.

• Adrian says:

U have a very wierd and bad taste of singer. U just want the looks dont u. FTR, P2 cant really sing he’s always strugglng with his song choices

• Marsaili says:

Ok, come back when you know what you are talking about—since you obviously have no idea of the song choices he makes. Oh, and the dig about just wanting a looker—old and lame, find a new lie to use against people for their music choices. I don’t even know why I give people like this the time of day—they certainly don’t deserve it.

• Suggestor says:

See? Jessica has lots of trolls.

8. ronnel says:

Jessica for the win… Joshua for the top 3 my family always mute the tv when he is the next to sing… he was annoying

• Jeff says:

Gross! Your family’s musical sensibilities are as mature as the 5 year old who refuses to eat anything but Animal Crackers.

• noa says:

hey, stop it both of you! he is very talented but there’s no way someone is liked by EVERYONE. we all need to accept the fact that not only is our favorite not everyone else’s favorite, but that others may not even think they’re very good. let’s be civil.

• Meghan says:

Noa FTW! So true.

• Marsaili says:

the boards are being taken over by rabid Jessica fans whose sole intentions are to smear Joshua and Phillip and their fans. I’ll bet Jessica would really appreciate them dissing her friends—not.

• Suggestor says:

There is no proof they are actually Jessica fans. Only proof they are trolls. This happens on youtube as well. No actual voter will change their choice because some other contestant’s has so called trolls as fans so why waste even commenting and singling out Jessica? Everyone who follows the show knows all three actually LIKE one another.

• deedee says:

The Jessica fans sure are the most annoying of any fan group in recent memory. She bores me, but I hope she wins because I fear the reaction of her fans if she doesn’t. *eyeroll*

• HudsonRiverside says:

It’s a bunch of anonymous posters. I’d ignore them. No idea if they are actually Jessica fans because they would have been on here a long, long time ago. I blame Heejun. ;)

• claire says:

i agree…i know joshua is a good singer but try as i might i cant stand listening to his performance or skylar’s…i have nothing against them tho and im fine with everyone else…so really its different strokes for different folks…the reason no one can predict the winner is because all 3 finalists are uniquely talented and deserving to win.

9. noa says:

i gotta say, i forgot how much more fun Idol (and Idology) is when i’m not invested. it took me a while to get over Elise not being there anymore, but now that i’m calm, AI is fun again. i mean, this was the top 3 from day 1, no? i could i have fooled myself to think otherwise?! so now the interesting part begins. i have no idea whose leaving this week. on one hand, we have P2, who’s never been in the bottom, who’s getting a lot of the tween votes and seems like he can’t be stopped. but a few weeks of bad performances got a lot of people mad at him. so I don’t know how safe he is going into this week. then we have Joshua (who i personally enjoy the least, but get all the praise)- he’s gotten the most superlatives, the most standing Os, everything. i mean, how could “the best singer in the last 50 years” not win american idol?? (excuse me while i barf). he’s great, and people are amazed by him but others are also kind of mad at the overpraise (me, and it’s taking me a while to gt used to people saying that man’s world is the performance of the season when i even thought Elise’s Vegas version was better vocally). so it might be him going home. and last but not least we have Jessica. there are 2 facts i still can’t put together about her (which makes me think that one of them is a LIE):
    1. she’s getting SO many views on youtube, every week about 10 times more people are watching her than some of the others. even on weeks when she wasn’t the best, she still gets aver a million hits while others maybe have 120,000. it’s crazy.
    2. she supposedly was eliminated and had to be saved.
    i don’t get it. is she more loved around the world, but less so among the voting american public? did her fans vote but not power vote until that week (much like they did with Elise i’m guessing)?
    how could both these facts be true at the same time??
    for weeks now i thought that there’s no way Phillip isn’t in the finale just because he gave bad performances and still stayed, but now i’m not sure anymore.

but the best part for me (for you?): I DON’T CARE! it feels so good to say this. this whole season was really too important to me, i should learn to deal with everything better.
    ok, now i’m going to listen to Vienna and pretend the finale was 2 and a half weeks ago. good luck to everyone who still has a favorite left! i bet it was easier to be you in the last few months :)

• wickerpark says:

Jessica is getting ridiculous views on youtube because of international fans. When she did I Will Always Love You she was all over the morning news on Australia the following day. And then there’s her fans from Asia and Latin America (because of her heritage). So I guess that about explains the million views.

• noa says:

yeah, that was one of my theories. i guess you’re right.

• Templar says:

There are 90 million people in the Philippines. #3x the population of Canada! That would explain the Youtube views.

• Robin says:

So Jessica will probably be the contestant that will give Idol a worldwide star. Phillip needs to take third place so he can be able to have the ability to make a record that will sound like him…not some pop infused CD. Joshua has amazing chops, but he also needs well written songs for him, please not so much gospel. He was awesome when he did “runaway baby”.

• tewence says:

exactly! i personally don’t care for phillip, but i think if he won it would actually not be good for him musically. it appears they don’t have any say in the type of music that is on their first album, which could (and has) sink him from the get-go.

• deedee says:

Not so much gospel — unless he wants to do gospel. That might even be his best chance at success in the music word. Although, for selfish reasons, I want him to put out at least one non-gospel album so that I can enjoy him for a bit :). (I don’t expect huge superstar-level success stories coming out of Idol anymore).

• Dino says:

That week Jessica had to be saved there’s no other explanation to that than her voters got complacent (being the frontrunner from the start) otherwise how would you explain her reaching the top 3 and the only AI contestant so far who managed to that.

• Dino says:

I meant the only AI contestant so far who managed to do that since judges save was introduced,

• Casual Fan says:

One big part of her fanbase are the Filipino-American community. After the save, they admitted that they did not vote because they thought she would be safe. Some also did not know that you can vote unlimitedly. Now they know the voting tricks so let us see if that would be enough.

I would be so pissed off with an all-male finale.

• deedee says:

The other explanation is that she wasn’t really the lowest vote-getter, and might not have even been in the bottom 3. I’m pretty sure Idol *must* kick off the person with lowest number of votes (and I think they do), but they can totally play with the people they place in the bottom 3 – as long as they don’t explicitly say the words, “these people got the 3 lowest numbers of votes”. Jessica could have been the top vote-getter, and Idol just manipulated it to look like she was in danger for drama/ratings.

Who knows who was actually supposed to get kicked off that week. Well, whoever it was, they probably wouldn’t have wanted to use the save on them, so they “saved” jessica instead. Ugh, we’ve all learned not to trust Idol’s methods over the years. Everything they do, they do it for “good television”.

• chistosa says:

Jessica was not only in the bottom three. She was announced as the one leaving. Only the save kept her in the competition. There is no way Idol would fudge those results. It would be the death knell for their program. They may try blatant manipulation to try to manage who votes for whom but last place is last place. She was in last place.

• deedee says:

Not sure. As long as she doesn’t actually go home, they’ve done nothing wrong. They’ve got their loopholes.

• beth says:

I agree with this comment.

• Marsaili says:

Nope, not even possible. They can throw out illegal votes, they can imply someone is in the bottom 3 when they aren’t—but they can’t change who is voted off. Jessica was voted off just like Daughtry, just like Adam Lambert, just like Crystal, just like Haley. No amount of speculation is going to change that fact.

• MamaLis says:

Dee – that’s EXACTLY what I was going to say, in response to Noa. I remember the night it happened, everyone was saying wth, except this one very logical poster who said: “She didn’t receive the lowest votes. It didn’t happen.” He made a good argument. #1. Jessica hadn’t even been in the bottom at that point. Do you know how many voters would have to be “complacent” for her to suddenly tumble to last place? A LOT. A statistically improbable amount. #2. Another predictor would be if she was in the Bottom 3 again in the weeks to come. If not – it also makes the whole thing improbable. Weeks have passed. She hasn’t been in the bottom. I think the whole thing was Drama.

• Bobbi says:

:) Haley Reinhart :) just did an interview and spoke about the save. She relates to Phillip, but favors Jessica for the win. Quote: Relating closest to Phillip Phillips’ outlook of staying true to who he is, Haley encourages the hopefuls to “make what you can of this platform you’ve been given. I seized the moment.” Although all of the finalists are winners at this point, Haley pinpointed the outstanding voice of Jessica Sanchez since her initial televised audition. Had the judges not used their one save of the season, Jessica would have been eliminated weeks ago. “I couldn’t agree more,” Haley approved of the panel’s decision. “I called her for the win.”

• Name That Tune says:

I believe it was contrived. They had to use the save on somebody. Why not add a little drama?

• Belle says:

Jessica’s fans in the Phillipines have figured out how their votes thru Facebook can count so she is getting a lot of illegal votes. Also, I’m sure a lot of her youtube counts are from there.

• deedee says:

Idol can throw out international votes if they want. They can throw out any votes that don’t fall under their acceptable voting rules. That includes blocks of votes that come from speed dialing machines. That’s another way the show can – to an extent – manipulate the tallies.

• TC says:

That’s not manipulating the tallies-it’s ensuring that the rules aren’t broken. It’s called AMERICAN Idol for a reason and until the rules change and international voting is allowed (not sure how that could even be done since shows aren’t broadcasted live outside of North America), AI has a right to block out “illegal” votes as it should. I certainly hope they are doing just that

• deedee says:

I know. My point was that they could manipulate tallies by “not noticing” some “illegal” votes, or letting some things slip their radar accidentally, on purpose. Idol doesn’t have to disclose anything, and with tens of millions of votes coming in, who’s to say they always “catch” everything?

Unless, of course, the vote tallying is completely out of Nigel’s control, and is managed by an outside, disinterested third party that consistently follows the rules equally for all contestants. Does anyone know if that’s the case?

• Marsaili says:

I would think that AT&T handles all that—and they are a disinterested party.

• Templar says:

How can AT&T be considered a disinterested party when they are partnered with Idol? Anyone power texting when they don’t have unlimited texting privileges make oodles of $ for Idol and AT&T.

• Marsaili says:

They are disinterested as in they don’t care who wins. Idol producers do care, AT&T doesn’t. They get their money no matter what.

• Casual Fan says:

Idol throws the votes away. And FYI, there are fans from everywhere who have been voting from overseas since 2008. Check Idol boards. The info’s been there for years.

• Nina says:

The Facebook voting does not have any access limitations. You can try opening the link outside the US and it will only ask you to give permission to access the app and then you can vote. Unlike the AI site where you get a message that says you have no access if you are outside the US. Jessica is as deserving as the other contestants to have a crack at the title and to smear that with talk about cheat votes is unfair. Who’s to say that there weren’t Hollie fans from Britain voting from there too? Since 2008, AI has also said that using netphones to vote is legit. If anyone thinks these should not be allowed, then please complain to AI instead of targetting Jessica and her fans who are behind her 100%. It is not her fault that she has ties in the Philippines and Mexico, thus widening her support base but she has proven that she deserves their support.

• Marsaili says:

Nope. It is AMERICAN Idol, not Mexican Idol or Filipino Idol or British Idol and votes coming from outside the US are ILLEGAL to the competition and should be thrown out.

• Catrina says:

Jessica was also a You Tube star before she was on Idol. I have been following her and watching her videos for almost a year and a half. She has many fans previous to Idol. I was so excited to see she had tried out this year and have supported her since auditions. I’m hoping for a Jessica/Joshua finale and I will be happy if either wins.

• Marsaili says:

One thing about Youtube views. One person can watch a video 8,000 times and get counted each time—so it isn’t an accurate gauge of how many people are really watching. I really don’t give a crap how many people watch jessica’s videos—it doesn’t dismiss—for me–for you–for me–MY favorite and who I want to win. Phillip supposedly had over 20,000 people at his hometown visit—Jessica and Joshua didn’t have that many people combined. Does it matter? no. Is it an indication of how the public is going to vote??? No. of course, Phillip doesn’t have rabid fans from the Philippeans illegally voting, either. I don’t respect Jessica’s numbers on the internet because she’s got so many fans that are cheating for her—it isn’t real. Joshua and Phillip are more the real deal as far as fans go. Jessica’s fans are getting obnoxious on the message boards, on Twitter. They are making up lies about Philip and Joshua, trying to get people not to vote for them—that’s dirty pool—I doubt that Jessica would appreciate that.

*PHILIPPINES

• Casual Fan says:

Excuse me? I am active on Twitter and the “lies” you say are not predominant. EVERY fanbase do their best to put down competition and to isolate Jessica’s fans is silly. Look at these boards. Every side has a good apple and a bad apple. You just concentrate on looking at the posts by the Jessica fans because you don’t like her.

• Marsaili says:

I have NEVER said I didn’t like jessica–who is lying now? And if you actually knew what you were talking about, you could plainly see that the boards are being over run by Jessica fans. My twitter was so full of “I love Jessica, we bluebirds have to vote, vote, vote” that I couldn’t even find posts about Joshua or Phillip.

• Casual Fan says:

Well then why take it against her fans that they tweet to vote for her? DONT FOLLOW THEM IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ THEIR TWEETS.

• Casual Fan says:

And also please when you say that her fans lie, then by all means TELL US WHAT THE LIE IS. It looks like you are just annoyed that her fans are asking people to vote for her. Now I am pissed off.

Goodbye. Good riddance.

• Casual Fan says:

And you know why I said you don’t like Jessica because I have been reading these boards and you always have backhanded comments about her. You don’t vote for her. You voted for Elise and now P2. You do not hate her but you would never buy her album. You have defended her against trolls (thank you for that) but you have been vocal that no, she is not your idol. So there you go. I did not lie.

AGAIN, GOODBYE.

• Marsaili says:

No, I have voted for her, Holly, Joshua, Phillip AND Elise. Last week, I voted for her, the week before I voted for her. I’ve also been saying for the last 3 weeks that I want JOSHUA to win—not Phillip. See, you shouldn’t make statements that you are not positive about. No, I wouldn’t buy her album—I don’t listen to music like that. I have stated that i have nothing against her fans—-just the new obnoxious ones that are flooding every message board and Twitter—lying about Phillip and Joshua. Last week, one of her fans was trying to tell people that Phillip said he wanted to go home and not to vote for him.(lie) People are saying she should win because the guys don’t do well enough after winning Idol (lie) there are all sorts of lies all over this board–and they come predominately from the Jessica fans. When people have made up lies about her–I have said something to them, too—-so don’t go off on me about how I hate Jessica, and how I don’t vote for her and all that because it’s not TRUE. I don’t know why YOU are all worked up about it in the first place!

• Layla says:

You never said you do not like Jessica, Marsailli. You just find every opportunity to smear her and her fans. It’s okay. We still love Jessica! Oh, Phillip didn’t have a battleship at his homecoming. Jessica had a battleship. :D

• deedee says:

Get over yourself. I’ve never seen Marsaili “smear” Jessica or anyone else. There is a fringe Jessica fan element that cannot tolerate even a hint of criticism of their idol. It makes you guys look insecure (not to mention immature beyond human comprehension). You do your precious idol more harm than good by turning people off with your nonsense.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

I gotta agree with that. Jessica’s fanbase tends to the obnoxious in a big way. That’s the reason I don’t bother with AI on Twitter anymore.

• Marsaili says:

No, Layla, I haven’t smeared jessica at all—just the fans like you who make it a point to smear anyone that doesn’t agree with them and then tries to make up lies to prove their point—and you are the perfect example and have been for weeks.

• Suggestor says:

Relax everyone. It is simple. People can just go over the comments section from every week and see how many different ways a select few have tried to steer people in thinking a certain way about Jessica. There’s no need to argue over this stuff if there is evidence online. If there isn’t then those comments won’t be there. We can also see how many times Layla attacked any of the other contestants, I don’t recall anything specific wherein she stated any negativity about any of the others. Now, let’s look at others, how many negative Jessica remarks have they written? Now, why the heated name calling? Chill out all.

• Templar says:

That might have something to do with the fact that Phil didn’t have an ocean in which to put a battleship. You are a nincompoop.

Hahahaha :D

• Layla says:

Templar and you lack a sense of humor. That was a reference to the “Hulk” in the Avengers. I was trying to lighten things up but you are all blinded by the smear campaign.

• givemeglenn says:

As the other person said, Phillip is land-locked, so he isn’t near a battleship. HOWEVER, he is near a hospital, and HE went to visit sick children prior to his parade and concert…

• FreeHaley says:

If one person watches her youtube video 8,000 times they probably take the time to vote 8,000 in a night too though…..
        And whatever the case with all that, Jessica does have a lot of legit fans though and some big name ones too.

• Suggestor says:

FreeHaley, it is another imagined variable by those who do not like Jessica. They make stuff up like someone watches a youtube video 8K times. :D

• Nina says:

Stop calling Filipino voters as cheaters. Excuse me but if it is open for voting, then we vote. If it is not, then we do not go out of our way to cheat. We have better things to do than find “cheats” for AI. It is Filipino culture to extend our support to any kababayan (countrymen) out there. Jessica has Filipino origins thru her mom. And the young lady is bursting with talent and potential. We do not break into systems or what-have-yous just to vote. Geez we are just simple people rooting for her. We have no high tech gadgets to break those systems of AI. thank you for overestimating our ability to break AI systems but no, we have no means to do that as plain citizens of our country. And please. Heard of reverse psychology where a fan can pose as a fan of a rival contestant just to start a fight? You can’t believe what they say about Jessica if we are to talk about insults. Calling her horse-face, maid, ugly, malnourished/asian/brown/ethnic bitch ain’t bad enough you think? Joshua and Philip do not have a monopoly on the insults. So please don’t speak as if Jessica fans are the only foul-mouthed supporters out there. Stop making us the culprit in everything. And if anyone hates the SAVE vote, then complain to AI. We all know there is a save vote so don’t pounce on the contestant who gets the honor of being saved.

• Marsaili says:

Um, I never said anything about the save, I never said anything derogatory about Jessica (in fact I pretty much always defend her if I see something nasty) and I never said ALL Filipinos cheat—but there were supposed Filipinos posting who ADMITTED to cheating the system to support Jessica–THAT is what I was talking about. If people outside of the US are voting for her in any way–THAT is cheating. Period. Take your complaints to someone else—I’m just commenting on what I saw posted and I am not a Jessica “hater” so you’re screaming at the wrong person—-it’s some of her fans that are the problem, NOT Jessica. I’m sorry you see yourself as just a “simple” person—we’re all simple people when it all boils down to it so don’t go acting like you are any different than anyone else here.

10. Josh says:

Nothing against the singers but I just don’t care who wins at this point.
    Which is odd given they are excellent singers – but they don’t interest me as new artists at all. I don’t wonder what their albums will sound like – I’m not excited about the tour. I feel like I know the kind of songs they’ll pick and there is no ‘can’t wait to see what (idol name here) will do’ factor. I actually blame the judges (and Nigel plus the god awful ‘mentors’) – if you have good singers, then you should push and prod them, not just with constructive criticism but also to take a song and really get outside the box you usually sing in (and do it successfully!) It also seems like the show is discouraging points for performance skills (moving around, dancing, working the crowd). There’s also no ‘wonder what the judges will say’ factor anymore (unless you count waiting for Randy to say something particularly incoherent) – the judges decide early on who they’ll be backing and then give the same people the same advice (or standing ovations – remember when those were rare?) more or less every week. I know people always threaten to stop watching Idol but it’s really happened with me. I made i through Season 9 on sheer will, then got really caught up in the Haley drama last year and started watching faithfully this year but now I just stick to checking out Idology and checking out vids of performances rather than bother to even dvr the show. I think Idol is losing a lot of viewers this way. And there’s no hope for new judges because this is the sweetest deal these three people are ever going to get. For me, the only reason to keep up is Idology because Michael and Melinda (and Jason) have the passion, humor, and creativity that I def don’t see on Idol.

• mick says:

Yeah, I’m with you on this. I don’t see myself buying an album from anyone in the top 3. Maybe Jessica, a few years down the line when she matures(slim possibility.) Phillip growls too much and Joshua takes it to a church I can’t stand. This has also been the worst manipulation I’ve ever seen by the show. Don’t quite agree with Jessica’s underdog status? Just because the judges jump up every time Joshua sings (absolutely ridiculous-superglue anyone?) doesn’t make Jessica the underdog. I’ve been an off and on watcher for the last couple of years but the antics this year have really turned me off.

• CandaceTX says:

I have NEVER downloaded and Idol song before… until Volcano. If that is the type of album Phillip Phillips is going to make, then I definitely will buy it.

• J. May says:

The problem is that PP sang the song exactly like Damien Rice, and he already has an album out there. Go buy his and skip the middle man.

• givemeglenn says:

Phillip’s version isn’t like the original; have you even heard it?

• givemeglenn says:

What I was trying to say is have you listened to both songs all the way through as performed live? I agree there is a similarity, but Phillip’s was so much mor “haunting” with the cello and background singer, etc…

• J. May says:

You’re right, they are different.

• J. May says:

I guess I’m just tired of WGWG. After Haley, Crystal and Adam losing, I’m a little disheartened. Just ignore me, people should like who they like.

• Marsaili says:

and Jessica sings Whitney exactly like Whitney and Beyonce’ exactly like Beyonce’–find a real reason to hate Phillip. I liked his song—just like people like Jessica’s—you are just being nasty.

• Mel says:

Me too, me too, me too, me too, me too, me too, me too, and me too.

11. ronnel says:

love this two idology host hahaha

12. Tusk says:

Michael, I always love a good Douglas Adams’ reference :D

“The Babel fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the universe. It feeds on brain wave energy, absorbing all unconscious frequencies and then excreting telepathically a matrix formed from the conscious frequencies and nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain, the practical upshot of which is that if you stick one in your ear, you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language: the speech you hear decodes the brain wave matrix.”

13. Linda says:

“Sing, heifer!” Lol. I love Melinda Doolittle.

She and Michael are the best. Idology is more fun than watching Idol itself. And thanks to Jason Averett for the hilarious editing.

14. sam says:

I really hope that Jessica makes it to the finals.

• Casual Fan says:

For all the unnecessary hate she is getting, I hope so too.

• Suggestor says:

Yea, most of it imagined variables applied to her because they can’t stand that she has such a huge fanbase. There was a time during the early rounds here on these comment sections when Jessica was just being pummeled by all sorts of uncalled for names. Just ugly stuff. Read back a few weeks. Her performances slowly gained her believers and now her fans are aware of giving her support here.

15. Akash says:

SING HEIFER! The heifer sang that song! LMAO! Oh my god I’m gonna die laughing!

16. kcostell says:

It felt sort of weird to be asking (paraphrased) “Josh is such a great singer, he gave the most amazing performances. Is there any way he’s NOT making it to the Finale?” to Melinda of all people.

17. JC says:

I don’t have a top 2 but I am rooting for Jessica all the way. Its just the matter of who will be joining her in the finale. This week blujays please vote harder for Jessica :)

• Jammie says:

Yes… I’m one of team blujays… i will vote harder for jessica this week.. please vote for her too.. Jessica for the win!

• Liz says:

I hope Jessica makes it to the finale too!

• JC says:

There is so much hate comments about Jessica in here I guess they are just threatened by her abilities. Go blujays we can do it lets get her to that finale and make her win this thing so we can break that WGWG curse :)

18. Pat says:

I wish I was enjoying this season as much as you two seem to be.

BUT I DON’T. I’ve had it to about here with the “ugly” vocals. I just do not enjoy the growling of Joshua or Jessica. Whatsoever. Maybe it’s because I dislike their vocal tones and I feel it doesn’t genuine. It’s put on. Disingenuous.

I liked it with Haley because I thought it accentuated her honey-sweet tone at certain moments. But Jessica and Joshua lack the artistry to know when to use it, Joshua moreso than Jessica. They “take it to church” with every performance. It’s complete overkill. Jessica and Joshua have such little “sweet spots” in their voice that their performances turn into nothing but unpleasant growling screechy messes.

As for Phillip, Volcano was excellent, (mostly just because Damien Rice is an amazing songwriter and Phil picked the right song) but he’s sucked all season so I really’d rather not have him win.

Hollie had a off night. She’d been charging hard but one misstep and I knew she was a goner.

I think this season died with Elise for me.

• markstudy says:

I agree 100% “ugly” vocals. Jessica sounds like my mother yelling at me when I was a little kid, and Joshua sounds like a angry Donald Duck when he over sings. Phillip brings back nightmares of season 10 and Scotty sounding exactly the same every week…regardless of what he sang.

Hollie was the last singer with a interesting and pretty voice to my ear. And I learned after last year when Haley got kicked off, once its down to the people the judges are pimping… I’m no longer interested in the show. Its done for me, looking forward to next year (could care less who wins out of these 3

• Bobbi says:

Please anyone whose mother “yells” like Jessica, rush her to the recording studio! At least Disney can hire Joshua for Donald’s voice, and Phillip can sell millions of songs just like boring ol’ Scotty! ;)

19. Evan says:

I’m sending a letter to Hollie and *seal*ing it with a kiss. ;-)

Also, I’m a little sad that there was no mention of Joshua’s hand during the “WOOOOOO!” moment at the end of “It’s a Man’s, Man’s World.” It was my favorite part of the performance. I wish I could sing well, if only so I could use that “slick your hair back” movement at some point during a song.

20. T_T says:

Slightly off topic: Did any of you notice that Jessica Sanchez and Ryan Seacrest’s girlfriend Julianne Hough wore the same pants during performance night? The only difference was Jessica’s was white with black stripe on both sides and Julianne’s was vise versa. :D

21. angelstorm says:

Nah – Josh isn’t going to be tender on anything – he did that for I am Ready (for love) as a one time thing !
    I agree about Phillip – I’m not a fan of his singing by any stretch but I think “Volcano” was actually really good and earned him that top 3 spot.
    But oh my gosh Jessica Sanchez !! lol – just . . . jaw-on-the-floor excellent !

22. Rustan says:

WE LOVE YOU JESSICA!!! =)
    Stay humble and sweet…
    GOD BLESS YOU…

23. Lea H. says:

I have a feeling that we will see Joshua in the finale, if for no other reason than being Holly’s BFF. Her votes have to go somewhere and my bet is on Joshua. Then it’s between Phillip and Jessica fans and which one has the most power voters. I truly like them all, can’t wait to see the results. Let us hope it’s a great finale! I so enjoy watching the Michael and Melinda show recaps, you guys rock!

24. noa says:

oh- Melinda! i still think some of your performances were better than Joshua’s! My Funny Valentine is still in my top 5 favorites of all time.

• deedee says:

I’ll second that! Melinda’s “MFV” >> Josh’s “You Raise Me Up”.
      Melinda’s “I’m A Woman” >> Josh’s “She’s Got A Way”.

• noa says:

yes, but my original point was this:
        Melinda’s “MFV” >> Josh’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” which is what she basically said wasn’t true.

25. iva says:

I still keep saying Idolatry at the start

26. perseverance says:

I hope Jessica Sanchez will be the next female american idol after jordin sparks…
    I will support and vote for you Jessica.
    I love you so much.
    I will vote for you till the end.
    Jessica for the win.
    San Diego loves Jessica….
    JESSICA =)

27. angelstorm says:

All male finale ? Nooooooooo – booo !
    Jessica’s “And I am telling you” was phenomenal ! She deserves to be in the finale – voting for her all the way !!

28. Eli says:

Can someone explain to me please what the hell a “heifer” is?

• wilshere says:

I think she meant that as a good expression … I don’t know what it means .. she tweeted this after Jessica’s performance “I should preface this by saying I save this comment for some of my very favorite singers…SING. ” HEFFA “. Wow…yes ma’am Jessica. Yes ma’am.”

• Eli says:

Ok, so what’s a “heffa”???

• MA says:

I think that in this sense Melinda is using it to mean someone who’s done something crazy or extraordinary. If we’re going to get technical with our slang, “heffa” is different from “heifer.” :)

• humuhumunukunukuapua'a says:

Got this from Youtube: Heffa is an African-American slang term derived from the Spanish word “Jefa” meaning Chief. The expression Go Heffa is popular among teenage girls.

• FreeHaley says:

Weird, because on Idology I could swear I heard an “r” at the end and the way Michael cracked up and Underwood reacted, hah, I think Melinda needs to do a little job of clearing it up haha, I thought she was trying to say she explained that to her she just meant “heifer” as some sort of tough term of endearment, never wildly imaging there was such a term as “Heffa” from “Jefa” hah.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh dear. A heifer is a maiden cow (never had a calf). I guess those of us here in flyover country are good for something.
          The word is also used primarily by urban women to describe other women, and it can be either a bad thing or a good thing, depending on how the word is used. In this instance it’s a good thing.

• tewence says:

literally i think it technically is a female cow?? perhaps she would be referring to the large power-diva type that would perform like jessica did that song?

• deedee says:

LOL, “heifer” (heffa!) is a female cow. I’ve heard the expression used as in a derogatory way, as well. But it’s like the word “b*tch” … you can use it for positive or negative, depending on context and intention.

• Templar says:

Actually, it’s a cow who has never had a calf. It’s a heifer until it calves and then it’s just a cow. This originated in England.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Thank goodness. Someone knows the answer to the question.
            People were asking what a heifer was and I thought they were kidding. THEY WEREN’T KIDDING! My my, how far we’ve come from the farm.
            Templar is correct.
            So is deedee. Back in the 80s I worked with some women that used the term “heifer” as one would use the word b***h when referring to another woman. It took me a while to catch on to the urban use of “heifer” since it was basically a maiden cow in my world.

It’s kind of like the term “Hoosier”. Hoosiers are people from Indiana in my world, but people in St. Louis, Missouri refer to people that are “losers” as “hoosiers”. When I was in St. Louis I kept hearing people talk about “hoosiers” in a disparaging manner and I couldn’t figure out what they had against people from Indiana.

Melinda does NOT mean it in a derogatory manner at all when referring to Jessica. Thanks for the blast from the past, Melinda, I hadn’t heard the word used in that context in 25 years or so. :-)

29. Tati83 says:

I was rather annoyed with the judges reaction towards Jessica’s last performance. The girl without a doubt deserved a S.O and they seemed hesitant to give it to her. And they can’t go one Jessica critique without mentioning Joshua??? I mean Joshua’s performance was great but so was Jessica’s. I just don’t get it. I think it’s a fabulous Top 3. P2’s Volcano performance was also great.

30. NikkiQM says:

Great ideology and I am so in agreement with everything Michael and Melinda were saying. Im not the biggest Joshua fan but he killed it with his second performance. And while I dont believe Phil deserves the win, I do think he pulled it together with a great performance and a genuine moment at exactly the right time with Volcano. But for me, even though I know how divided people are about her, I am a huge Jessica Sanchez fan. Her voice is incredible, especially when you consider her age. I am Fanchez who Youtubes her performances and listens to them with my 6 year old daughter. We love “You are so beautiful”, “I will always love you”, and “Stuttering”. This is definitely one of the best seasons of Idol Ive watched in a long while. A close second to the Adam/Kris/Alison final three a few years back :)

• chelle says:

Alison wasn’t in the top three. Danny Gokey was. I’m not surprised you forgot. I’ve tried to block that douche from my memory too.

31. tewence says:

lol “sang heffa!” too funny. i would love to see a jessica-joshua finale. ‘twould take me back to the olden days of american idol. makes for good tv, and they are the best vocalists. (if only elise were here instead of phillip!)

32. dj says:

I just love the Idology editor, whatever his name is. Is it Jason? Anyway, I cracked up when he snuck in the robot singing “lock them doors” during your discussion of how Jessica pronounced the word baby. He cracks me up every week, and I know he used to work with you on that other site because it’s obviously the same crazed personality coming up with all this stuff.

I am ok with any of the top 3 winning Idol this time, but I am rooting for Joshua because he’s my fave. He just looks so mellow all the time and then he explodes on stage.

Here we are with Idol almost over and the Voice is gone. I’ll have to figure out what’s going on in the real world soon …

• noa says:

Jason Averett- he doesn’t tweet a lot but this is him: @JasonAverett.
      he was the editor on ew.com before. to me- that site is about 50% less fun because he left… there are no good videos over there anymore. oh, the golden days of idolatry, Réalité, totally lost… i miss them all!!

• FreeHaley says:

lock them doors

33. MA says:

Melinda, I love your shirt!!!
    ***
    Now, with that out of my system, great Idology as usual! Poor, lost Newt was fantastic. It’ll be really interesting to see what happens this week. Ideally, I’d like a Joshua/Jessica finale, but can anyone take out Phillip??

34. John says:

In terms of their body of work throughout the season, all of them (yes, even Phillip) deserves to win. However, Jessica has the edge to be more successful after the show. I think it is now time for a female winner since it has been overdue for so long. If Crystal and Haley were not able to get the title from their respective seasons, I guess it is now time for Jessica to do that. People are commenting here that they don’t like Jessica to win because they’re not going to listen to her music because she’s robotic and boring. Really? Are you sure you’re not when Jessica sees herself someday as someone ‘that can belt but can sing upbeat songs’ like her influences Beyoncé and Christina Aguilera? Jordin also covered so many ballads during her run and in comparison to her, Jessica did more current songs in the show, letting people know who she wants to be as an artist. Hmm, we’ll see.
    ——————————————————————————————————————
    Female Winners:
    4 winners – 28,404,000+ albums sold
    ** All four have a debut album that went at least platinum.
    Male Winners:
    6 winners – 6,286,000+ albums sold
    ** 4 of the 6 male winners were dropped from the label while all 4 female winners are still signed.
    ——————————————————————————————————————
    Girls might be losing the title but outside in the real music world, they are winning, both in sales and longevity.

• Marko says:

Excellent point.

• Lunakit says:

Great job, John! Gotta love those statistics!

• MA says:

This is actually the most interesting thing to me about the string of male winners. It’s not just the women who’ve won either: Jennifer Hudson, Katharine McPhee, they’re doing well. So I don’t get too worked up about this WGWG stuff. It’s mildly annoying while we’re watching, I guess, mainly because I’d rather watch Elise or Skylar to the end instead of Phillip. But that’s just personal preference. In reality, so what if the guys dominate the show? They aren’t dominating the larger game, and that’s where the real money and recognition is. It’s not really all that sexist. The contestants all get major exposure pretty equally; what they do with it afterward is up to them, as it should be.

• JC says:

Thanks for pointing it out female ai winners are much more marketable :D this will shut those WGWG supporters up and if they still have doubts they can check billboard & wikipedia to compare for example Kelly Clarkson has been in the industry for 10 years now and she is still putting out no.1 singles but Scotty last year’s winner doesn’t have a single song in the top 10. Jessica’s gotta have it you go girl :D

Lies:

“American Idol” champ Scotty McCreery made a little bit of history with his debut album, “Clear As Day.”

The album will enter the Billboard 200 charts at No. 1 this week. It’s the first time an “Idol” winner has debuted in the top spot with their first post-show album since Season 2 winner Ruben Studdard released his album “Soulful” in December 2003.

“Clear As Day” sold 197,000 copies in its first week, which according to Billboard is the best mark for an “Idol” winner’s first album since David Cook’s eponymous release sold 280,000 copies in 2008 (Cook was third on the album chart then).

He’s also the first country artist to debut at No. 1 with his first solo record and the youngest male artist, at 18, to have his first release come out of the gates at No. 1.

• Casual Fan says:

The poster was talking about longevity. The winners always get decent post-AI album sales but most of them has gotten dropped from their labels.

• Marsaili says:

Uh, NO! No other Idols have debuted at #1 other than Scotty—-he broke RECORDS. And you can dismiss his records all you want to make your point, but there is no proof he is going to fail, anywhere.

• Casual Fan says:

Congrats to Scotty but I was talking about longevity which cannot be proven in a year. If he has broken records then good for him, I remember the Spice Girls broke records too.

• JC says:

Lets see if Scotty can still be relevant 10 years from now the way Kelly, Carrie & Jennifer Hudson are then you can call me a liar but facts are facts honey male ai winners pale in comparison to their female counterparts :)

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah but being country doesn’t hurt. If he sang like he sang in the pop or any other genre he’d sell 3 or 4 albums tops. And someone like Daughtry you hear any part of the country, Scotty you only here in the parts where country music is big. I haven’t heard him on the radio a single time ever where I live.

• FreeHaley says:

But then again, those numbers are those numbers, I guess he has sold well. Good for him.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Here in flyover country where we know what a heifer is we hear him all the time. :-)

• Sha says:

I agree, Jessica can be the next Jordin Sparks, but even more successful. Plus, if Lauren Alaina (who was a great albeit, safe singer but absolutely mediocre performer with equally mediocre stage presence) can make it all the way to the top two, why can’t Jessica?

• Sheena says:

Jessica has huge potential to be a superstar even if she does not win she will be signed. But she deserves to win it no doubt

35. J. May says:

If Jessica and Joshua are not in the finale, this season of Idol is it for me…I swear, really. I mean it. Ummm, I’ll just go sit in the corner.

36. Robin says:

I can’t wait for Wednesday..I hope that Jimmy and the judges make some good song picks. The song choice will make or break getting to the finale for Josh and Phil. I think Jess will definately be there. So hard to say though because I haven’t been right about anything this season so far…Colton (tears), Elise (WTF?) and Skylar (sigh). Of the 3 left, Phil is my favorite. I wouldn’t mind a Jess/Phil or a Josh/Phil finale. A contrast between singer styles would make the finale more interesting for me. Last year was boring.

37. Diana says:

I am over Jessica, I am not sure when she lost me but she did. I appreciate her talent but I simply dont enjoy her performances. I think she comes across as angry and at her young age, I find her not believable. I hate to see another male winner but with these three…its Josua and Phillip for me with Phillip winning. I am wondering who in this group has the personality to headline the tour???

• Reese says:

I agree. Jessica doesn’t do anything for me although I don’t really see her as angry. I just see her as been there done that. Nothing new there

• wilshere says:

When did that happen ??? u didn’t like her from the start … be honest …

• CAM says:

I think she has one of the most incredible voices we’ve heard on Idol, but I never feel a sincere connection to the song. I wish she’d waited a few years to compete.

• michael m. says:

maybe you mean “intense” not “angry.” the intensity, confidence and passion, you won’t see in a typical teenager. she’s mature for her age.

• michael m. says:

maybe that’s the reason why others can’t connect. and oh that argument has not been thrown at her. that’s been the argument for all young contestants, Jordin for one, and i find it very unfair.

• deedee says:

Not really. Jordin Sparks and Allison Iraheta were 2 sixteen year old contestants who managed to pull it off, in my opinion. They were my favourites during their seasons. Somehow, Jessica comes across like she’s still playing dress-up to me and to others who don’t connect with her. Not a big deal – many people do connect with her, so she has planty of support. I hope she wins because of the remaining 3, she will benefit most from the title, I think.

• Bobbi says:

To some adults they don’t want sixteen year olds to have that intensity so they tune them out. Seen but not heard. One reason Jessica is slowly winning over the teen girl votes as well. She’s a voice of her age but many adults want to see the sugar coated little girl still when in reality they are blossoming to be women. You can just read in the comments how they want her to be age appropriate, dress like this, say that, you don’t know how you feel, all very condescending but at 16 she IS acting age appropriate, that’s why they have trouble with her. :)

• Nina says:

Funny but when they made her sing an “age-appropriate song” tonight by the Jackson 5, they diss her. Hmn. Can’t figure out what they want her to do. They praise the others for staying with their style yet they want her to change hers…and then diss her in the end.

• Marsaili says:

I loved the J5 song, I thought she sang it very well—and her iTunes version is even better. It’s the same with Phillip, though—he does a slower song—like Disease—keeps to the tune and gets slammed. They just can’t win.

• Templar says:

I never liked her singing because she only mimics other singers. She completely lacks any originality. She’s just another package of Oreos on the shelf, good but nothing remarkable.

• Mimi says:

Dahling, tell me other singers who sound like beyonce, whitney, leona, jhud all at the same time? ….. You have to agree jessica has lots of supporters so much more than your bet. :)

38. bjp says:

Hands down, this was the best episode of Idology of the entire season!!

• Casual Fan says:

I have to agree. They are funny. I loved the editing! I knew new footage of JLo would make me laugh louder. Haha.

39. two J's all the way says:

All Jessica needed to do after singing I am Telling You is to drop the mic and walk off the stage.

40. Tom22 says:

I’m happy for you guys when I hear how excited you are to listen to Joshua.

I find your suggestions that he stay moreo tender throughout the song a bigger issue. As I guy that really enjoy’s the blues, I just don’t hear him using the delays in hitting a note that emphasize a swing or groove in a rhythm, adding emphasis or irony with a rest not a scream, and not so much that its the scream thats offensive but the lack of the irony that is so poignant and isn’t there.

Also, the almost angry way he finishes songs makes it very difficult for me to want to listen repeatedly…. I mean a angry complaint isn’t very soothing nor is it motivating. Worked up, doesn’t need to have an angry sense to it.. more doses of defiance and almost optomistic raputure empasizing there will be ligth after each of the litany of wrong things is extinguished.

All that matters though is that YOU like to listen to him repeatedly and find your self pushing replay etc. If you just like it as a one time shot who’s pleasure wains after the surpise of the fire crackers are gone.. or liked it but don’t find it pleasant or inspiring to listen to, I’m more bummed because that means not only a promoting a different taste but a promoting of the idea that the compeition isn’t about trying to do the best cover ever of a song that people will want to listen to far into the future on their phones etc.

• deedee says:

Not sure I understand what you mean by “adding irony” to the delivery. Irony is not always warranted in a song. Also, I don’t hear the anger that you allude to. Intensity, yes. Anger? Not really.

But you have a point that Joshua is not entirely “there” yet. He’s still a big ball of raw potential that needs to be refined – or as Melinda said: “finessed”. Still, imo, his musical instincts are remarkable. Stage presence, pitch-perfection, phrasing – all excellent. But if his tone irritates you, then there’s not much that can be done. Everybody’s taste resonates with different things.

• TopCat says:

All I know is that I must have rewinded his performance of “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” 15x over the weekend so I could rewatch it-and this is a song I really didn’t care about before. Obviously something resonated with me.

• Tom22 says:

Super. I was trying to be careful to say that my opinion isn’t any better than anyone elses but I expressed my thoughts because I was curious about how much other’s shared my thoughts or other-wise

The music moved you and that means the show and Joshua is doing right… not everyone is going to like exactly the same thing but some people should Really really like thinks and you did !

• J. May says:

Your technical analysis aside, I like all styles of music: music to chill out to and music to rock/punk out to. Joshua’s rendition of IAMW allowed me to do both. I was swaying to his voice in parts and jumping off of my couch in others, it got so ugly (in the best sense). Besides Jessica’s performance of IATYIANG, this was the best of the season

41. kcostell says:

One factor that might hurt Joshua: Song choice, and in particular rehashes. According to WNTS’s data, there have been 26 songs done five or more times on Idol. These are the songs that every time you perform one, some small fraction of the viewership is going to mentally groan, and another small fraction will be too busy remembering their favorite idol’s performance from years gone by to even pay attention to your own performance, let alone vote for it.

Of those 26 songs, a whopping 15 have been trotted out again this year, even with all the modlern themes they’ve been pushing.

Colton (Lately), Elise (Let’s Stay Together), Hallie (Feeling Good), Heejun (All In Love is Fair), Hollie (I Can’t Make You Love Me), Phillip (Superstition), Shannon (I Have Nothing), and Skylar (I Heard It Through the Grapevine) each gave one of these.

Jessica (Turn the Beat Around, and And I Am Telling You) gave two.

Joshua has given FIVE. A Change is Gonna Come, Ain’t Too Proud To Beg, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, I Believe, and When a Man Loves a Woman.

Hopefully he’ll bring out something surprising this week.

• TC says:

I hear your point but in my opinion, it doesn’t matter when the peformances of those previously done songs are stellar. And every sing of Josh’s were

• deedee says:

“I Believe” was performed 5 or more times on Idol? I haven’t heard it since Fantasia’s win. But, yeah, song choice has been his challenge all season. His knowledge of pop music is so SO limited, he has no clue what to choose. If he’s relying only on the short, tired, played-out song list that Idol gives them, then he’s doomed to pick groaners.

Amazingly talented as he is, he’s not really playing as smart an Idol game as he could. Which has been my complaint about him all along. Even his most “original” song choice (the India Arie number) had already been done by Michael Lynch a couple of seasons back! Gah! I HOPE Jimmy and the judges have some interesting picks up their sleeve. It’s his only chance.

• TopCat says:

Sometimes artists will release a song for a contestant to perform-especially if they like them and are pulling for them to win. It’s pretty obvious how much Jimmy and the judges love Joshua, so I’m banking they will choose a good song for him.

• kcostell says:

As it turned out, Joshua and Jessica each brought out (of their own volition) one of the Hackneyed 26, raising the season’s total up to 17.

Meanwhile, Phillip sang three songs that had never been heard on the Idol stage before.

42. bassistep says:

Joshua is a lock for the lock for the finale? Phillip outperformed Hollie in the early rounds of the competition? Jessica is the underpraised underdog?

Can somebody please tell Slezak that you can’t just invent random story arcs for these contestants?

43. jazzy says:

Hey Slezak and Melinda, Can you think of something to do to entertain us during the off season, pretty please? You guys are so funny. I mean, look at Fashion Police, they’ve got something to say about fashion even when it’s not award season, there’s plenty of music absurdities to review all year.

Regarding Hollie: She didn’t listen to Jimmy, plain and simple. It’s a quiet reflective song. You don’t walk up to a guy and scream “I can’t make you love me!” Oh well, it was time Hollie, good job though.

44. givemeglenn says:

First, it has been obvious for quite a while that the judges have been pushing for a Joshua/Jessica finale by giving them so many unnecessary standing ovations and constant praise while making odd comments about the rest of the contestants, including Phillip. When’s the last time he received a standing ovation? Has he ever received one? Yet we had the former lead singer of Fleetwood Mac saying she would have had him join the band…

In my humble opinion, Jessica has had some nice moments, but she reminds me of someone who I might see on Broadway, in a movie, or on TV. She seems robotic to me, not relating to people or the song per se, and my guess is the reason is she’s just so young. She has a big voice, but she just doesn’t know what to do with it yet.

Joshua has a great voice and stage presence. However, Joshua has pigeon-holed himself as a Gospel/R&B type of singer (NOT hip hop or contemporary/rock style). He doesn’t sing “mainstream” type music so the audience he would be presenting himself to is more limited.

Phillip, on the other hand, whether some of you want to admit it or not, is an “original” type of “contemporary” artist whose appeal is to more the mass market. His songs would be heard on more radio stations today than Joshua’s or Jessica’s. His concert’s would attract a more diverse audience than both Joshua and Jessica.

At Phillip’s homecoming concert, he sang songs from Michael Jackson, Jimmi Hendrix, Usher, and other contemporary artists in such a way they all sounded “fresh,” and they were uniquely Phillip Phillips.

• Chris says:

Standing ovations aren’t given to a performer because she or he is more “contemporary” or “marketable”. They are given based on the performances on the show-no matter what the genre or whatever the theme of the week happends to be. t’s really quite simple. P2 hasn’t received a standing O because he hasn’t deserved one. I’m not a Phil hater, but his performances haven’t been stellar like some of the others. I also happen to prefer P2’s type of music more than gospel and R&B. However, as a performer, I’d much rather see Joshua perform that any one else on Idol this year. He’s that good and has really opened me up to a type of music (soul and R&B) that frankly I could have cared less about a few months back. To me, that’s an American Idol

• givemeglenn says:

Joshua and Jessica HAVE NOT deserved the number of standing ovations THEY HAVE received. Not EVERY ONE of their performances is outstanding; sorry to burst your bubble. Yet the judges continually heap praise on these two like “they can sing the phone book”. Sorry; I respectfully DISAGREE. Joshua hasn’t “killed” every song and has pigeon holed his genre, and because of that genre, he has a tendency to overdo his “rifts” and slur his words so you can’t make out anything he’s even saying while he’s singing.

Jessica is singing the wrong choices night in and night out, over singing just because she has that big voice. The wardrobe staff are also not doing Jessica any favors in this competition. They don’t have to dress her up like a street walker; her voice is good enough to carry her through if she just chose the right songs. Jimmy really needs to help her out more and she can be special in a few years.

• TopCat says:

Perhaps not every one of Joshua’s performances have been outstanding, but i’d say 90% of them are. The others are “good”. Josh has NEVER had a bad performance, which is more than I can say for a lot of others on the show. And if you want to compare Jessica (who I don’t even care for) to P2, she’s also had a lot more memorable moments on the show. Sorry but that’s how I see it.

• givemeglenn says:

We can agree to disagree on this because we all have our own personal preferences. I have been listening to the exact same performances as you and don’t think 90% of Joshua’s performances as outstanding or that much better than the rest EVERY night. The same can be said for Jessica. In fact, many of those nights, I preferred PHILLIP’s performances yet those singers got the standing ovations and he didn’t. In fact, my guess is millions of other Americans felt the same way I did. The point I was trying to make is that by giving so many standing ovations, they are actually making the songs that deserve them seem less worthy. Those standing ovations should be held for truly “spectacular” performances, and I may have seen two or three in this season, and I believe Phillip’s Volcano was one of them.

• Casual Fan says:

I think Joshua has had good performances so in general I agree with the SOs save for one or two.

• Casual Fan says:

Actually I think they want P2 and Josh in the finale. I think the judges lost confidence in her after the save.

45. Frank OFile says:

AND I AM TELLING YOU may not be overdone on IDOL, but it’s certainly overdone…period.

• Casual Fan says:

The song choices this year have been uninspired. I may have liked Elise’s rock choices and Hollie’s Bleeding Love but the rest have been so-so.

46. greggers says:

i love reading all the comments on here cause i was a huge fan of american idol…my take on it is that its just not the same anymore…jessica by far is the best vocalist of the three in my opinion…BUT they are all good…the way i would vote would be whoever won would i go and buy their album….every year that a guy wins they become really nothing in the industry…not like Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood….so i think it is time for a girl to win this year and try to get american idol out of this slump and really produce good music…just something to think about….

47. IdolFan says:

How do you market Joshua? What would his album look and sound like? Is he our next Brian McKnight? He can’t be an Usher? I think Iovine is even a little stumped on what kind of album to make for Joshua because gospel is truly his wheelhouse, like it or not. He’s been a muse to the show, a power ballad singer, and steered in every direction but one that’s consistent musically (we all know what a performance looks like from him) … Talented he IS but not commercial at all, in my opinion.

Jessica will be a global sensation and she will become a legend in the many years to follow, no matter who wins this show – it’s undeniable. In my opinion for a 16 year old she’s beyond her years in a number of ways but young enough to have a vast area to grow her talent and mature in – which is a HUGE positive. She’s never taken one singing lesson in her life and that is talent because what she had done/does on that stage is NOT easy to do – any professional singer with chops can’t deny that. There will be singers at 16 who Idolize Jessica, just like she idolizes Beyonce, Jennifer Hudson, and so many other great artists.

Phillip will be successful in his genre of music but I don’t think he’ll reach global success… nationally no problem (very similar to The Dave Matthews bands success). I can imagine what an album would look at feel like from him and why someone would “Idolize” about him.

Who has the total package? There is no strategy, only votes.

• Casual Fan says:

I think it is all about the material given him. I guess he can be packaged as Bruno Mars or Cee Lo. Otherwise, he can be someone like Luther Vandross.

• Marsaili says:

Well, if he wins he’s going to have a slew of songwriters ready to go—why can’t they write songs in the same vein as the songs that he did so well on—with a touch of all those singers? I would buy an album of the songs he’s done on Idol (Well, honestly, I’ve bought all the albums since the top 13) I would buy an album of his that would showcase his voice like those songs did.

48. Alienate says:

I can’t seem to run the video this morning.
    Anyone else?

• Janet says:

I haven’t been able to play this video, or the interview with Elise either. I am using a Mac, if that makes any difference. It’s worked fine until last week. Anyone else? Idology tech folks, any ideas?

49. Sandy says:

as a mama for joshua, i went to phillip’s homecoming as a last minute why not and i have to say that he sounded great and was very captivating. I was towards the side of the stage because i got there late so i didn’t actually see him but i had a good view of his girlfriend dancing the whole time. It was sweet

• givemeglenn says:

Sorry, but Hanna (Phillip’s girlfriend), was in the tent on the left (if you were in the crowd facing the stage) with Phillip’s Mom. That was probably one of Phillip’s sisters you saw. Hanna is one of my niece’s friends (I was at the concert, too), and my sister & brother-in-law had just had lunch with Phillip’s Dad Thursday before the show so they knew all the logistics in case he made it to the top 3. And just another FYI, Dave Mathew’s wife is from Albany, GA, (this is the larger town just south of Leesburg that Phillip flew into). I understand this is how he got permission to sing the first Dave Mathews song in AI history. Also, I believe there was texting going on while we were there between Phillip’s Dad and Dave Mathew’s people so if he makes the finals, I expect they’ll be playing together in the finals…if Dave can get his schedule freed up.

• Sandy says:

oh i thought it was his girlfriend because she looked young and was holding a water bottle and singing along. she was standing on the side of the stage and i recognized her from when they showed her on tv. I was standing near the stairs that phillip came up out of to go onto to the stage. FY!, i know what albany is, i live in georgia.

• givemeglenn says:

Sorry, I don’t know where people live so I think I might need to give a geography lesson to some of those people who aren’t familiar with the term SOWEGA (Southwest Georgia). Actually people don’t know this but Phillip is really shy and his music is how he expresses himself. Hanna is is window to other people/friends and she isn’t this huge social butterfly but really down-to-earth as well (like the whole family). Here’s another small tidbit of info for everyone; Phillip’s Dad had been working 2 jobs trying to help take care of the family as he pursued his career. Everyone knows about the pawn shop, but his Dad also worked at the Marine Base in Albany for many years until he just retired a couple of months ago. This is a really hard working family and what you see is what you get with them; no big heads, no egos, just honest, good “people” that you want to know and be around.

I will also say that some people made mention of how Joshua reacted when Phillip put his arm around him after their song (they were rather upset), and Phillip and his Dad weren’t concerned at all; they really like Joshua a lot and no one knows about the kidding around everyone does outside of the show. Phillip is just more “mature” then the others, and when he started kidding around with Joshua, it caught him off guard and he didn’t know what to do! They are all joking around with each other to bide their time, and Phillip just got him on live TV…

• deedee says:

Joshua mentioned in an interview that before the duet, Phil was telling Joshua all the things he was going to do onstage to embarrass Josh, or get a laugh out of him or something. So, when Phil went to put his arm around him, he sprung back because he didn’t know what Phil was about to do. I mean, you could see he was laughing – it wasn’t a snub, or a “protesting too much” gay-phobic move. Even in their second duet this past week, Josh said Philip was making faces at him, trying to throw him off. Just playing, jeez. People get really hyper analytical over every tiny thing.

• givemeglenn says:

Agreed, especially on this song; neither Phillip nor Joshua wanted to sing it so they really didn’t take it very serious from the get-go. Phillip already had Joshua on his toes, wondering what he was going to do at the end of the song because he had tried to crack him up during the song. He knew something was coming and when Phillip put his arm around him, he wasn’t sure if that was all that was coming! It was a cat and mouse out there…

• Casual Fan says:

I like the term mama for Joshua. ;) I wonder how they all are live. Must be a different experience than on TV because I find myself disagreeing with the judges all the time.

50. Katie says:

there are a lot of rumors on twitter that p2’s dad said that if he makes the finale next week he will sing an original song. Could this be the first original song on idol? I’m kinda hoping so and then that would open up the field for future seasons to have people do original stuff also.

• deedee says:

Nice! That would be a good development.

Anyone have a guess as to why they broke with protocol this year by not revealing song picks at the homecomings?

• givemeglenn says:

Phillip has actually written about 150 original songs, so it’s entirely possible!

• MA says:

This would really impress me, honestly. I’ve long wished that Idol made people do original songs, but because most of the contestants are so young and aren’t actually musicians, I can see how that could be hard. But maybe they could let them if they want to? I’ll admit that this is one way I’m a snob; if you can’t write your own songs and play your own instruments, I’m not going to be as impressed with you as I will be with someone who can. So if Phillip actually does this, it’ll be a huge bump up of my opinion of him…unless the song sucks, but I bet it won’t. And even then, I’d still give him big props for giving it a shot because no matter how you cut it, that’s ballsy.

• ronnel says:

if that so give the crown to other contender… he has a great future in songwriting

• JAMES says:

actually a lot of contestants have done original songs, like paul mcdonald…. just sayin….

• George R says:

Crystal Bowersox did her song about Toledo. Im with Simon Cowel on this thing do a loud happy hit song everyone knows to get the votes. Unless everyone does an original I think it hurts them omn the show.