Once Upon a Time's Josh Dallas: 'Crazy-Bananas' Finale 'Is Like a Train That Won't Stop!'

Neither Prince Charming nor his Storybrooke self have been living a charmed life on ABC’s Once Upon a Time. Charming is currently held captive by the Queen, whose evil plan bore fruit when she poisoned Snow White with one rotten apple. David Nolan, meanwhile, has Regina repeatedly spelling trouble for him and Mary Margaret.

The prince, at least, is destined to soon revive and rescue his one true love — or is he? Or might a new twist rewrite even that happy ending? With Once‘s Season 1 finale arriving Sunday at 8/7c, Josh Dallas dished on the “epic” events and “crazy-bananas” surprises ahead.

RELATED | ABC Renews Once Upon a Time for Season 2

TVLINE | Charming is currently still imprisoned and trying to get to Snow White. When we next see him, will it be at her coffin-side?
It is possible…. There’s going to be a lot of pieces we hinted at and left unanswered in the pilot that will be answered in the finale, for sure.

TVLINE | So you’re saying that whether people realize it or not, there are blanks to be filled between where we left off on Sunday and the opening scene of the pilot?
Oh, absolutely. Absolutely. A lot of things are filled in, and there will be a lot of surprises coming at you. I mean, the finale is crazy-bananas. It’s like a train that keeps on going and won’t stop. And like the last episode, which was really centered around Snow’s side of the story, this one is very much Charming’s side of the story.

TVLINE | My concern, and I brought up with your bosses, is that once he arrives at Snow’s coffin we’ve come full circle. I don’t know why we would ever revisit Snow and Charming in Season 2.
That’s interesting. But we still have magic afoot, and magic can do a lot of things. And Rumplestiltskin still has an agenda, and we’re not really quite sure what it is or what it might turn into. And the Evil Queen will still have her agenda…. Anything can happen. So I think in Season 2, not only with Snow and Charming but all the characters we set up, there is still so much more that we can discover, even in flashbacks. We still don’t even know Charming’s real name!

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Bosses Tease a ‘Severely Intense’ Finale (With a Lost-Style ‘Reset’?)

TVLINE | Meanwhile in Storybrooke, is David with Mary Margaret holding vigil at Henry’s bedside?
No, he might not become aware of that. Kathryn’s back, and I think they’ve kind of made their peace about what their relationship was, because obviously that was something planted by Regina. It wasn’t real. So at the moment that we see David in the finale, he’s got a decision to make. David has had tough time with this curse.

TVLINE | Oh, it’s totally kicked his ass.
It’s totally kicked his ass! In my opinion, he’s been affected more than anybody else. I mean, he gives her the wrong [Valentine's] card…. He’s a real tool, sometimes, and I feel sorry for him. But I love the fact that I as an actor get to play the two different emotional speeds of the two guys. They’re the same character, but they have different experiences that make them inherently different people. David has all that Charming stuff inside of him trying to get out, and by the finale, hopefully, fingers crossed, Charming is going to come out.

TVLINE | Is it safe to say that even if he does once and for all smooth things over with Kathryn, that by the end of the finale yet another obstacle will be thrown in his and Mary Margaret’s way?
There are obstacles thrown in everyone’s way by the end of the finale.

PHOTOS | Once Upon a Time Finale Sneak Peek: Will [Spoiler] Save Henry?

TVLINE | How has Once Upon a Time been for you versus what you went into it expecting?
Oh, it’s gone beyond every expectation I ever had. When I first read the script during pilot season, I thought it was something so unusual and something I’d never seen on television before, and it was definitely something I wanted to be a part of because of [series creators] Eddy [Kitsis] and Adam [Horowitz]. It was a chance for us to tell these characters in a new and modern way, and in a way reinvent them. But saying that, because it was something I had never seen before on television, and because it was kind of out of the left, you didn’t know if it was going to work.

TVLINE | That’s what I said all last summer: It’d either open big, or…
Or crash and burn. For sure. So there was a lot of anxiety, because we all loved working on it so much. And when it caught on and opened in such a big way, and people stuck with us every week, it become the best time ever. It’s always great to be part of a show where people can’t wait until the next episode comes along. We can’t make this for ourselves; we’re making it for people to enjoy it.

TVLINE | Turning back to the finale, is the very final scene a case of, “Oh, so that’s what Season 2 will be about”?
No. [Laughs] You’re going to say, “What the hell is going to happen now?”

TVLINE | Oh, now you’re just quoting Adam and Eddy, word for word.
Did they say that? [Laughs] It really is true. “What the hell is going to happen now?” Something is going to happen that the fans are not going to expect. It’s big, it’s epic…. So many questions are answered and things are resolved, but that just means there’ll be a whole other load of questions!

1. jennwithapen says:

Eddy, Adam and the cast really know how to serve up tasty appetizers leading to what I know will be a very delicious finale. I seriously cannot remember when I’ve looked forward to a finale so much!

2. xav says:

I’m glad he mentioned Charming’s real name because in the last episode I was all “You’re everlasting love and killing people for him but you don’t even know his real name” to Snow.

3. James says:

I thought Charming’s name was James… Didn’t he tell Snow White that when they first met in the bridge? It happened in one of the first episodes…

• She did know. She said the whole “I prefer Charming” thing when he told her his real name.

• TVMovieLove says:

James was the name of the real Prince – the son of the King. When that one died, he had to replace him with his twin brother (Charming knew nothing about even having a twin) and Rumplestiltskin helped broker that deal.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I triple-checked with Adam Horowitz just now, and he confirmed what Josh said — “Charming is the nickname that was bestowed upon him by Snow as he was impersonating [his twin] James.” As such, we do not know Charming’s real name.

4. fan says:

actually, James is his dead brother- we don’t know his real name – maybe David?!

5. Kev says:

“James” is the real name of his (dead) twin brother.

6. Eric says:

His name is James, we never knew the dead twins (the real prince) name. Go back and watch the episode where the switch was made. The real prince was killed and replaced with the twin (James), James killed the dragon was suppose to marry “Kathryn” and then he met Snow White. Go back in watch these episodes.

7. Jacob says:

Anyone know if Josh’s commitment to Thor 2 might affect his presence at the beginning of Season 2? Asking for a friend…

• Mary says:

No it shouldn’t. From the sounds of it, Thor 2 will start in the fall. Once Upon a Time’s second season is scheduled to start filming on July 16.

8. Paige says:

It should be fun to watch Charming break out of the Queen’s castle, especially since it looks like The Huntsman will be lending a hand in that. I’ve always wanted to see a scene with those two together.

9. Jen says:

Someone should clarify from the show (or TV Line???) the whole Charming/James name thing. Because that is going to annoy the heck out of me. Hard to believe Josh Dallas is wrong, but “Charming” was so emphatic, and sweet, when he told Snow his (given?) name.

If anyone here feels they can make a definitive call here, please bring it on! :-)

• Kate says:

I’ll take a stab at it! James was the name of the twin that King George originally adopted and was set to kill the dragon for King Midas. In order to make it look legit after that prince died, he had to fool Midas by having his twin come in (our Charming, formerly just a shepherd boy) and assume that role, taking over the name of James in the process. We do NOT know Charming’s real name and that makes it all the sweeter when he tells Snow his name is James (going along with the new identity he has taken on) and she says she likes Charming better, it suits him. When he tells Snow his name is James he has no reason to blow his cover so he SAYS James but she goes with Charming. We do know that when she confronts King George about his son he says “he is not my son” but it is not clear how much else Snow does or does not know about Charming’s past, including his real name. However, James was definitely the twin and the man we know and love is simply Charming & ?? for the time being.

• Templar says:

Prince Charming took his dead twin’s name [James]when he replaced him as prince. His birth name was never stated. For all intents and purposes he is James until the writers envision another twist.

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

This has been clarified above.

10. Patti says:

So glad they are not done with Snow and Charming. It’s the season one characters I must excited to see back and at the focus of the show. I still hope to see other fairytale characters but I want more Archie/Jiminiy, Huntsman, Belle, Hatter, and the Charming family. Also the fairies. I don’t trust the blue fairy fully.

• Jo says:

I don’t trust the Blue Fair, either. I think she knows everything that’s going on and has retained her memories. Remember she told Gepetto that she had to prepare for the curse. I wonder what she did. And notice she didn’t say she’s on the side of “good” but “right”. She’s the oldest and supposedly most powerful being in FTL and I think we haven’t seen the last of her story.

O’m so excited for the finale, and also depressed…months with no OUaT. I don’t know how I’m going tostand it.

11. neto says:

Great article.
    I wanna see more Josh Dallas the next season. Snow and Charming are my favs. But please, more family scenes with emma too ;)

• Mary says:

Yeah I’ve loved the scenes of Emma and Mary Margaret, so I’d love to see some Emma scenes with her dad. Most of what she’s had with him this season have been about Kathryn’s disappearance.

12. Liz says:

I can’t imagine why anyone would think that Snow and Charming’s story would be over. There’s still seeing how they took back their kingdoms/got the Queen exiled, the marriage and the whole 8 months of pregnancy that we didn’t see. And maybe even the *cough*sex*cough*

13. etc says:

They can’t be done with Snow and Charming in Fairyback bc in the pilot we see Rumplestiltskin in prison, and we have yet to find out how they captured and put him there. There is plenty of Fairyback to still fill in.

14. Gary says:

I am guessing that in the final something happens which changes what happened in Fairyland. Therefore maybe the new reality the queen wins and its Snow and Charming who invoke the curse or something like that.

15. sweetpamy says:

Actually his name is James Charming!!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nope.

I triple-checked with Adam Horowitz, and he confirmed what Josh said — “Charming is the nickname that was bestowed upon him by Snow as he was impersonating [his twin] James.” As such, we do not know Charming’s real name.

16. Mary W says:

I wonder if we will see the real James show up in Storybrooke? The Prince and the Shepard. That would be something….