Ratings: Awake and Scandal Uptick, Secret Circle Holds Steady

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

NBC’s Awake was on the upside this Thursday — too little, too late, though? Sigh… — gaining 16 percent in audience (hitting 2.5 million viewers) and rising two tenths in the demo (to 0.9). That said, was Jason Isaacs right or was he right, about these last few episodes leaving you breathless? Wait ’til you see next week’s.

Time slot rival Scandal (6.5 mil/2.0) also ticked up, gaining a tenth in the demo while holding steady in audience.

RELATED | The CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries and 90210

But nothing much else to see here. Going hour by hour….

8 pm | American Idol (15.1 mil/3.9, flat week-to-week) was the night’s most watched program, while the Big Bang finale (13.3 mil/4.2, down 11 percent) led the demos. Missing (6.3 mil/1.1) dipped another tenth in the demo. Community was flat at 3.12 mil/1.4, while 30 Rock (3 mil/1.5) was up a tenth in the demo. The rollicking Vampire Diaries finale (2.5 mil/1.1) was down a smidgen.

RELATED | The Big Bang Theory Finale Explication (AKA ‘Burning Questions Answered’)

9 pm | Person of Interest (12.7 mil/2.6) led the hour in total viewers, while Grey’s Anatomy (9.6 mil/3.4) was up a hair and topped the demos. Fox’s newly renewed Touch was steady at 7 mil/2.0. Both The Office and Parks and Rec were flat in their finales. CW bubble drama Secret Circle (1.24 mil/0.5) showed no movement with its season-ender.

RECAP | Vampire Diaries Finale: A Night of Shocks!

10 pm | The Mentalist dipped a bit but dominated with 12.4 mil/2.4.

Comments (32)

• Honest question how come Gossip Girl which has less than a million viewers and down in the demos yet will probably get renewed were as Secret Circle is on the bubble but has more?

Comment by Sam – May 11, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would bet Secret Circle will be renewed, if it’s not I’ll be shocked. The thing about Gossip Girl is it’s had 100 episodes, and it’ll be worth more in syndication to continue it than let it go. Another bonus for The CW is a lot of their shows fair better with DVR numbers and online views/sales.

Comment by Rob – May 11, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really hope the secret circle gets renewed! i loveeee it! i’ll be so sad if it gets canceled :( GG however could get canceled and i wouldn’t care.

Comment by Elyse – May 11, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • hope it stays to from canada

Comment by kim delmotte – May 11, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hopefully they renew it. I know it could go either way right now. But I’m not giving up. This show deserves a second season.

Comment by michelle – May 11, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It didn’t Gossip girl renewed for a final season and the Secret Circle was cancelled.

Comment by Russ – May 11, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey’s was intense at the end. It could have been the season finale but it wasn’t! I can’t wait until next week.

Comment by Pam – May 11, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • next week is gonna be so crazy, i don’t want Arizona or Lexie to die :(

Comment by Russ – May 11, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MISSING IS A GONER.LAST EPISODE WAS WEAK

Comment by RENNY – May 11, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal >>>> right now!

Comment by llws88 – May 11, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scandal is great, I hope that it gets a renewal with 12 or 13 episodes instead of 7.

Comment by Russ – May 11, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BBT finale should have been titled: “The Completely Out of Ideas Dilemma.”

Comment by Mike – May 11, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn, I really like Awake. It dragged a bit in the middle, but I figured, if it was going to pick up, it’d do so a lot faster than if it were a 22 episode season (ahem, Ringer). I much prefer it over the train wreck that is Smash.

Comment by Emily – May 11, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TVD and Grey’s made me die for the next episodes of each. Can’t wait til next season!

Comment by Danielle H – May 11, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fingers crossed for Scandal renewal. Last night’s episode was the best yet. And what is up with NBC? More Parks and Rec, please!

Comment by Leah – May 11, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am shocked that TVD was down, it was a great finale. That is good news that Secret Circle held steady.
    I loved Grey’s I also love POI but I record POI as I can not watch them at the same time. POI always seems to lead that hour.
    Good and bad news for Awake, I am really enjoying the show and if it was on CBS or ABC it would last, however NBC will cancel it and bring on tons of new Dramas as it has already picked up a few pilots and they will not do well either and thus will be the rollercoaster that is NBC.

Comment by sarah – May 11, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prayer Circle for The Secret Circle. Ive seen so many of my favorite showa get canceled. I’m hoping for a renewal.

Comment by michelle – May 11, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! The Secret Circle has just got to be renewed. Last night’s season finale was EPIC!! Seriously, I’m not even sure epic is good enough of a word to use. I LOVE the set up they did for the 2nd season too! CW has got to renew this show.

Comment by Aerilyn – May 11, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • POI was so good last night. That show just keeps getting better and better.

Comment by MJ – May 11, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the ratings news, Matt. I always like to see how my favorite shows are doing from week to week. Happy to see all my favorites are all pretty solid and healthy in the ratings.
    Liked BBT last night. The wedding didn’t move me much at all but I liked the end a lot. Missed POI-didn’t have enough time to get to it so I will tonight. And as for THE MENTALIST, I thought it was a very good episode. It wasn’t quite so dark as I had feared, which is good. It had a good case. But the most interesting and poignant parts were, hands down, Jane slowly descending into the depths and Lisbon by his side, worrying and trying her best to help him all the way. Lisbon was fantastic this week. Her loyalty and compassion for Jane just made me love her even more.
    In the writing and in the acting last night the best scenes were: when Jane is asleep on the couch, Lisbon and Wainwright go in and he tells Lisbon he’s finally giving up and her reaction, when Lisbon arrives at the cemetery and Jane gives Lisbon the baby monitor-the scene was sort of surreal, creepy and well played again by the two, the brush of his lip the second time in silent taunt to Wainwright after the “mother’s milk” comment he made a bit earlier-whoever came up with that was kinda brill, and the best and most moving scene was the end scene: Lisbon running to the elevators with unshed tears in her eyes begging Jane to talk and work it out together, etc. him telling her she was sweet, and the shutting of the elevator doors. I found it very impactful and the acting was superb here.
    The promo for next week looks intense. And I’d be more nervous about Jane in Lisbon’s office with a gun but there were so many cuts and close shots in the editing, and I know to be careful of misleading promos-so I’m not sure who he shoots. I’m sure I’ll be on edge waiting to find out next week.

Comment by Madison – May 11, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really enjoying Missing, but I’m not very optimistic. I almost feel like I should stop watching now.

Comment by Dana – May 11, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC: Please renew Scandal. Last night’s episode was awesome! #scissorsintheneck

Comment by GeoDiva – May 11, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve already watched the episode 3 times and I don’t think I ever re-watch episodes!! (especially right after they’ve aired) so excited for the season finale this week!

Comment by jenna – May 11, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Secret Circle for has been up and down this first season, many episodes were boring and then they had thier episodes were it was so good like last night episodes,I hope next season if there is one, will as hype up as last night but sad to say this what I think CW will end up letting go of all three shows SC,HOD, & Ringer and Nikkita will go right with them,I think The CW want to pick up most of thier new pilots.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – May 11, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really liking Scandal – I hope it gets picked up!

Comment by KSM – May 11, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So now I guess we know it will be Lexie, Arizona or Mark that bites it next week. Grey’s will be epic next week. Scandal is so good. Can’t wait til next week for the finale.

Comment by tp – May 11, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad Secret Circle got cancelled for crap remakes likely!

Comment by davidsask – May 11, 2012 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I just say that Thursdays Community episode was the best one ever. I cried laughing multiple times and I’m so happy it’s coming back for another season!

Comment by Claire – May 11, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not that I have a problem with scandel but every week its reported that it a tenth up in demo …while the numbers given with that are always the same or down one tenth …so wht gives???

Comment by Zac – May 12, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • to bad the secret circle did not get picked up for a nother year it was a great show did not give it a chance

Comment by kim delmotte – May 12, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post