Fall TV Preview

The CW Cancels Ringer and Secret Circle, Renews Hart of Dixie For Season 2

Hart of Dixie RenewedThe CW has renewed rookie charmer Hart of Dixie while canceling The Secret Circle and Ringer.

Dixie joins fellow returning CW series Gossip Girl, Nikita, Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and 90210.

RELATED | The CW Picks Up Five New Series, Including Sex and the City Prequel and Comic Book Tale Arrow

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with all the news.

Comments (670)

• wow the Secret Circle deserved a 2nd season based on the finale alone, cant believe it got cancelled.

Comment by Jake – May 11, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sooo happy about HOD…my favorite new show this year…I have been so worried all year and finally the good news comes through

Comment by AmyLynn – May 11, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sad about the “Ringer”-cancellation & glad about the “Hart of Dixie”-renewal. More of Zoe & some Lemon-madness to come – yay ;)

Comment by M. – May 11, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Gossip Girl is finished, I won’t be watching the stupid CW anymore. You suck.

Comment by Anon – May 11, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Screw this! I can’t believer TSC was cancelled. CW sucks!

Comment by Maryam – May 11, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • REALLY I LOVE THE SECRET CIRCLE. THE finale showed how awesome it would be in 2nd season. It was finally reaching its creative stride and getting on almost vampire diaries level. smh CW you really couldn’t bring it back for 13 episodes. No instead you bring back gossip girl while even if its for a final season. gossip girl was getting the ratings the secret circle had and it got picked up last year. its barely hitting 1 million and its getting 11 episodes. Besides VD and Nikita im not watching The cw oth is gone and they just made a veronica mars/ gilmore girls like fail by not picking up the secret circle.

Comment by Adrian – May 11, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe it! This piss me off so much! Ringer was amazing! Such an incredible plot. And The secret circle was good, but I’m so shocked about Ringer! I hope they can continue it on another network!
    Gossip Girl is gonna get another season because it needs a good ending, ’cause this last season was terrible.
    An at least The Vampire Diaries will continue, I totally love it!

Comment by Denise – May 11, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ecstatic Hart of Dixie got renewed. Its probably one of my favorite shows on TV. Canceling Ringer was a no brainier, and I’m not surprised about The Secret Circle getting the hook. I tried to get into it but the horrible acting by the leads was such a turn off.

Comment by Christina – May 11, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think by horrible acting skills you meant to write Hart of Dixie.

Comment by Stranger – May 11, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im almost done with the cw they keep canceling my favorite shows first it was veronica mars then reaper then hellcats and now the secret circle im still going to watch nikita and supernatural and the vampire diaries and maybe arrow thats because im a comic book fan but when these shows end im done with the cw. i cant take anymore

Comment by Josh – May 11, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am absolutely shocked and saddened that The Secret Circle is cancelled. It was by far the best new drama series on The CW. Silver lining is that Nikita was renewed

Comment by tvaddict – May 11, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the cw is run by idiots. the cancel good shows but keep stupid ones like 90210

Comment by Josh – May 11, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg I mean cancelling Ringer I get it but also cancelling Secret Circle that goes too far. NBC already all the fun good stuff. Are we going to be left with shows like Cougar Town juck! My hope is now on a renewal for Don’t Trust The B— in App 23!

Comment by Babe – May 11, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cougar Town is a million times better than the shows you’ve mentioned.

Comment by tripoli – May 11, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RINGER was my secret campy drama passion! So sorry to see it go but not too surprised — hey, Hollywood: find something better for my girl SMG/Buffy. Love her.

Comment by paisley – May 11, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t care less about Ringer since I gave it up ages ago, bu I’m pretty bummed about The Secret Circle. Literally just finished watching the finale and then read it was canceled. I thought it improved so much. Bad move, CW!

Comment by A – May 11, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the crap show that is 90210 gets a fifth season and TSC is canceled? Yeah, that makes sense.

Comment by Alex – May 11, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow bummer about both The Secret Circle and Ringer ! Although I kind of had a feeling about Ringer . . . I didn’t see the ax coming for The Secret Circle at all !!

SUPER happy about Nikkita though !! Whoot Whoot !! That makes up for everything – Love that show !!

Comment by angelstorm – May 11, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch all of these shows, and I can’t say I’m too surprised about Ringer, but I’m so sad about TSC! I felt like the show was really coming into its own toward the end, and I loved the finale and they really set the stage for what could have been an awesome season 2 :(

Comment by Pauli – May 11, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only shows I watch on CW Nikita, Supernatural, and once and awhile Vampire Diaries. Was looking foward where Secret Circle was going but now……. oh well.

Comment by rachel – May 11, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer. I liked “Ringer”. I’m a little surprised that they actually cancelled “The Secret Circle” and renewed “Nikita”, and I can’t believe “Hart of Dixie” is the only freshman series to survive.

Comment by Carrie – May 11, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is not a good day for me. Two of my favorite shows cancelled – Ringer and Awake. Rats!

Comment by Eliza – May 11, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now I will never know what will happen to the twins.. I know ringer didnt have many viewers n it started off with a rocky start..but it got better towards the end..especially the last episode. i’m sad now :( RIP ringer

Comment by fiona – May 11, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO HART OF DIXIE RENEWED !!!! SOO HAPPY !!!!

Comment by LA – May 11, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer was such a smart and original show. So many twists! I can’t believe it wasn’t renewed for at least one more season. People don’t know a good thing if it hits them over the head. Shame.

Comment by Jo – May 11, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. It had such a great build up to better things as the season progressed. Too bad we won’t get to see a little twin on twin action.

Comment by tripoli – May 11, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I loved Ringer!!!!!!!!!
    I know it’s pretty far fetched but what about a Lifetime pick up or maybe another cable network….or DirecTV? I know it’s not the same caliber as Damages but still. Ringer even one the TV Guides Favorite Guilty Pleasure award. :-(
    Never watched The CW before Ringer……..not watching it now.

Comment by Riah0822 – May 11, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OOPS I read it wrong earlier. I swore I saw TSC renewed, now I am upset of all 3 HOD was the one I was fine losing, not the other 2.

Comment by sarah – May 11, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! Hart of Dixie and TVD!!! :) but i want the Secret Circle too!! :(

Comment by Kate – May 11, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So this two great shows get cancelled but GG gets renewed! gret job CW!

Comment by Mimi – May 11, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad for Ringer, but happy for Secret Circle because it means that Kevin W. will be back on the writing team for TVD and that is a VERY VERY good news!

Comment by Manie – May 11, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’ll probably start developing a new show instead. He seems to get bored after a few seasons. Same thing happened with Dawson’s but he’ll probably come back to write the TVD finale.

Comment by A – May 11, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • TVD needs him back on the show, this season is by far the worst and the rating are clearly talking for themselves… I mean usually a series goes up during the finale, TVD actually dropped… That says a lot about how people feels about the series… I’ve said it many times before and will says in again, if the rating keeps going down and JP is alone as lead writer for S4, TVD won’t live to see a 5th season.

Comment by Manie – May 11, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CW didn’t kill TSC – Andrew Miller & his band of crap writers did. The actors deserved so much better.

Comment by gonzosgirrl (@gonzosgirrl) – May 11, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how could they cancel the secret circle? it was such a good show.. im soo annoyed.. yet 90210 was picked up for another season?? how does that make sense

Comment by noah – May 11, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sad that TSC isn’t renewed, especially because I saw on Facebook first, that it was! I just watched the finale today and next season was gonna be soo cool!! I want like the family guy or futurama thing to happen and it get picked back up or someone else gets it. Ringer doesn’t surprise me, it just got really twisted. Lol my dad watched it and said he was gonna stop if it didn’t get better. I to wish it had done better though for Sarah Michelle Gellar. But heart of Dixie, I thought it wasn’t doing well, ratings-wise.. ugh. Poor Circle!!

Comment by Becca – May 11, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is the CW okay? I mean, they are getting rid of all the good shows. One Tree Hill was a great show: that’s over (though its time has come after 9 seasons), Smallville was awesome: that’s over (time has come too, with 10 seasons), Life Unexpected was a bad show at first then it got good: they canceled it, now Ringer and the Secret Circle?! WTF?! They should have canceled stupid Gossip Girl and Hart of Dixie. Gossip Girl just constantly redos the same storylines, and Hart of Dixie is just plain stupid. Even though I don’t watch Nikita or Supernatural, I’d be pretty sad if they got canceled. But seriously?! Canceling freaking RINGER and THE SECRET CIRCLE?! Two awesome shows over GOSSIP GIRL and HART OF DIXIE?! The CW better fix themselves and stop canceling the good shows that are like underground instead of keeping the bad shows that are becoming mainstream. If they keep this up: I’m done with the CW. I’m still watching it only for The Vampire Diaries.

Comment by CorMan – May 11, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! Why’d they have to cancel Secret Circle!!!!! Damns it to hecks i so mad i love that show not surprised by ringer though.

Comment by Staci – May 11, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely THRILLED about Hart of Dixie. That show is DELIGHTFUL and I mean that sincerely. Not surprised about Secret Circle…I watched the entire season waiting for it to get better but it just never really did. Some good talent on that show though, I hope they all go on to find better things. That does not include Natasha Henstridge.

Comment by Ruby – May 11, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Indifferent to both shows being canceled. Watched like 16 episodes of of each and wasn’t feeling the series though The Secret Circle was showing signs of good things to come but still surprised since I thought the Circle was doing “good but not great ratings” which was a lot better than most CW shows. I swear, if Britt Robertson comes back for another CW show, the CW should have a safeguard for not cancelling another show she’s in.

Tension is relieved that Nikita survives, but with Hart of Dixie being renewed again, The CW will now have two medical dramedies come this fall? Best CW is genre-fare CW.

Comment by Kalee – May 11, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooo secret circle?? Really CW??? And renew GG AND the terrible 90210?

So upset right now!

Comment by Ashley – May 11, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even thou this season

Comment by Patricia – May 11, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oops, I was saying even thou Nikita was crappy this season I am looking forward to the new season they should move it to another night.

Comment by Patricia – May 11, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Secret Circle cancelled? So SAD!!! I think the 2nd season could be much interesting with the other 4 Balcoin brothers “war”.

Comment by Dani – May 11, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!! They had a goldmine with the other balcoin kids coming in! And they could have had something with Grant.. cuz I’m sorry, I just didn’t trust him… Too good to be true. Haha

Comment by Becca – May 11, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And now the CW IS HORRIBBLE!!

Comment by Bitter – May 11, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They get rid of The Secret circle and Ringer and keep 90210 and gossip girl??? What the hell is wrong with these people??? Craziness!!!!!

Comment by DeenaG – May 11, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It makes me really reconsider watching their freshmen shows when they go through cancelling them like this. Frustrating.

Comment by Sarah – May 11, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Officially not watching anything on the CW anymore. Ringer and secret circle were way more entertaining then HOD. And they are picking up some Sex in the city prequel crap. CW has just committed suicide.

Comment by Kim – May 11, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO PISSED ABOUT SECRET CIRCLE!

Comment by Elyse – May 11, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so disappointed about Secret Circle…gave up on Ringer mid-season and have never seen Hart of Dixie (but may try to catch up)…the CW is known for heart-breaking cancellations

Comment by Laura – May 11, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can usually predict when a show is going to be cancelled and I have to say, I did not expect The Secret Circle to be one of them. Ringer, yes no surprise there. The CW’s decisions make no sense to me. Who watches Nikita? Gossip Girl, it is so time for it to go. They did this last year with Hellcats, making us all think it was ok and then nope. I like the CW because it is a network that is so removed from reality that it is a nice break from cop and Dr. dramas, yet they keep disappointing. Get better CW or your number will drop even more.

Comment by Casey Jensen – May 11, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Want To Cry

Comment by Esther – May 11, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a total outrage cancelling The Secret Cirle it was the next big thing for The CW,how could they cancel it.The fanbase was consistent and the show did better than both Hart Of Dixie and Nikita.Bring Back The Secret Circle.

Comment by Shovy – May 11, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i thing we should all ban together and only watch the shows that already have 2 or more season and not watch any of there freshman dramas on the cw next season

Comment by Josh – May 11, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • honestly so relieved about TSC. Always found that show to be so horribly overwritten, trying to explain so much so fast and none of the characters really got fleshed out. Sad about Ringer. Such a good show…

Comment by curtis – May 11, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post