Fall TV Preview

Gossip Girl Renewed For Shortened Final Season, Sara Goodman to Succeed Josh Safran as EP

Gossip Girl RenewedSpotted: The finish line.

The CW has renewed Gossip Girl for a sixth and final season of 11 episodes, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Gossip Girl Season Finale First Look — Blair Chooses… [Spoiler]

What’s more, showrunner Stephanie Savage — who developed the show with Josh Schwartz — has promoted Co-EP Sara Goodman to exec producer, replacing Smash-bound Josh Safran.

Gossip Girl joins fellow returning CW dramas Supernatural, Hart of Dixie, The Vampire Diaries, 90210 and Nikita.

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

Comments (112)

• The adventures of Blair Waldorf’s love life continue. Either way each couple has had amazing, completely different journeys. Blair just has to choose one guy for good and stop the bs.

Comment by danielle – May 12, 2012 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe this gets renewed and The Secret Circle gets the axe!! GG is a goner. TSC showed promise especially on its last episodes. So frustrating…and even 90210 doesn’t deserve to get renewal. With all this said, I am just so happy and relieved that Nikita is renewed for a 3rd season. One smart move among the many dumb moves of CW this year.

Comment by oliver – May 12, 2012 01:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Carter for Serena! :)

Comment by moe – May 12, 2012 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why all the complaining over TSC? you should have known the chances for it being renewed were very low. HOD got the best ratings out of the 3 new shows and why compare it with GG? Yeah sure GG has been getting very bad ratings but its also been on for 5 years so CW owes its fans a nice closure just as OTH got.

Comment by Samantha – May 12, 2012 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For 1st 2 season,serena and dan was a good couple,then they destroyed dan’s character by introducing this blair angle!! nate has nothing to do in this show except sleeping with every cast in the show,foe the final season i wish the following~chuck and blair,serena and nate and dan….well.. his character i hope ends up alone.he is just disgusting!! and jenny,venessa and georgina should come back for series finale.

Comment by joy – May 12, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Althought I love GG, it was good to end it this season and give a shortened season to another show such as Ringer to see if ratings improve if it doesnt then cancel it. :) dan/serena, chuck/blair, nate/jenny. I really wanted to see what happens with SMG’s characters on Ringer. :(

Comment by Jacqi – May 12, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sara goodman is awesome! She will make the ending work!

Comment by Sue – May 12, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome to hear the show will get another, albeit shortened, season. Chair has to be the end game. Come on, we’ve always known that :)

Comment by Meghan – May 12, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some tips for season 6:

1. Get rid of the awful new Charlie. She has weird eyebrows and a nasal, helium voice. She’s completely annoying.

2. Do NOT bring back Vanessa. She’s fug, obnoxious, and has nappy hair.

3. Bring back Nellyuki. She was the best one of all the gossip girls, and could be the real gossip girl as well as a love interest for Chuck. Chuki could be the endgame.

Comment by Chrispy – May 12, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like seriously…why even do a sixth season??? The show sucks!!! I wanted it to be over 2 season ago…but they keep insisting on throwing every character I used to love over a cliff!!! Face it, you have the most awful writers on TV right now…someone needs to put them out of their misery!!!

Comment by An6ra – May 13, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally will we see the GG appearance of Kristen Bell?

Comment by SAmIAm – May 13, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GG’s only chance at redemption: repair Dair

Comment by ChelC – May 24, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as there isn’t some lame a** Chair wedding finale, I can deal with whatever crap they throw at the audience for 11 more eps.

Comment by EmsRevenge – May 24, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly can’t believe how many people are saying Gossip Girl went downhill? I’d like to say that I absolutely LOVED every single one of the Gossip Girl seasons. I have watched them over and over again on Netflix, in fact I just finished Season 5, so I’m about to start over back at season one because I just can’t get enough. AND one last thing, I am absolutely PISSED that it is a shortened season I’m so angry I’m beside myself.

Comment by Sarah tay – September 28, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post