ABC Cancels GCB, Pan Am, Missing & The River

GCB CancelledABC has officially passed on ordering second seasons of GCB, Missing, The River and Pan Am.

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

Earlier this evening, ABC greenlit the new dramas Nashville (fronted by Connie Britton), Zero Hour, Red Widow, the Shawn Ryan submarine thriller Last Resort, and the supernatural spooker 666 Park Avenue (with Lost‘s Terry O’Quinn).

Current ABC dramas set to return in the fall include Castle, Grey’s Anatomy, Once Upon a Time, Revenge and the frothy freshman Scandal. Still riding the bubble are Private Practice and Body of Proof.

1. Sonji says:

ABC what’s wrong with you? MISSING is a great show try looking at its face book page. Maybe TNT or TBS will pick this show up.

• Debi says:

Fingers crossed! ABC keeps some of the dumbest shows and cancels well written, interesting ones. Hopefully one of the cable channels will be smarter and pick it up.

• Kaiser says:

I hope it gets pickd up by TNT or TBS. I heard TBS is picking up Cougar Town. Not a big fan of the show.

2. agnieszka szmeterling says:

LOVE!!! LOVE!!! LOVE GCB!!! NOOOOO!!!!

3. Dorwal says:

I love Missing!!!! Maybe another network will pick it up, or is it too intelligent for the average viewer to keep up with……….

4. Mark says:

GCB was great. Hysterical show, fantastic cast, and just very intriguing. SO UPSET!

5. Ashley says:

Noooooo! Not my GCB! :( Where do I sign a petition?

6. Brendan says:

With Desperate Housewives gone, I was really looking forward to future seasons on GCB. It was such a silly show but why can’t shows be a little silly – I agree with people about the over-saturation of cop/legal dramas around, I’m really getting sick of them. Especially multiple versions in different locations at the same time (Law & Order, CSI, NCSI) Why do we need two or three of the same exact shows at the SAME time when original and interesting shows get cut… ABC has a bad habit of cutting their most original shows though, I still miss Pushing Daises and Eli Stone. :(

7. A says:

NO MORE CRICKET?? THIS IS MADNESS. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU ABC?

8. Derek says:

I really loved The river. I thought the story was awesome!

9. Nero theTVFiddler says:

RIP GCB. RIP Pan Am. RIP Desperate Housewives. Now, what will ABC do for Sunday nights at 9 and 10pm??? They had a full year to figure this out, and here they are – no closer to an answer than a year ago. As great a success as Once Upon a Time has been for the network, it is offset by the failure to find a successor to DH during this past season.

My guess is either Nashville or 666 Park Ave will be placed in one of the two Sunday 9 &10 slots – perhaps both slots. Park Ave is probably a better companion show to OUAT at 8pm, but Nashville may be a better show overall. ABC needs to place their ‘best’ pilot at 9pm – if that is Nashville, so be it. Park Ave would then slot in at the 10pm hour. ABC needs to get this right – they need at least one of these two pilots (Nashville or Park) to be a hit and help anchor Sunday nights along with OUAT.

10. kate says:

I can’t believe they canceled GCB. Personally I didn’t think Scandal was that good, but God forbid ABC cancel a Shonda Rhimes show. Grey’s Anatomy should have been canceled 3 seasons ago. Who does she have photos of that these monstrosities of hers get to go on and on and on way after they deserve to be canceled?

11. sara says:

Why is it every good show that comes along they get rid of it and keep the crap? Every month there is a new show. What happened to the old days when you could watch a show from septemeber to may?

12. matt says:

GCB is pure fun & should have been given a little more time to grow!

13. Joseph A says:

I can understand why some shows we’re axed, but GCB actually had better ratings then many of the shows that are coming back.
    As some others have already stated GCB was a Sunday evening Guilty Pleasure !

14. Rick Katze says:

In some ways, it is good that Missing has not been renewed. We have seen a good story about a mother trying to save her son which the producers have stated will be resolved in the final episode of the show. So far it looks like the entire story will be resolved.

Where would they go from here. Another showing of a family whose parents are CIA agents assuming the husband survives and they don’t split. They wrote a story with a good beginning, middle and an end. Let’s not ruin it by regurgitating standard story lines that we have seen before.

15. Ritika says:

I might adjust with no Ringer but no GCB !
    Worst day ever !

16. Matthew Oakes says:

Renew GCB NOW! That really pisses me off. I’ve never even heard of any of the other shows, choosing to shut off my expensive cable a couple years ago, but I happened to learn of GCB via Hulu Plus and LOVE LOVE LOVE the show. Put it back on the “air”!

17. Yvonne says:

MISSING is GREAT TV.. PLEASE FIGHT to bring it back.. Maybe 9:00 would have been better than 8:00..

• Dennis Smith says:

You’re right Missing is a GREAT SHOW!!! one of the best dramas on T.V. the premise couldn’t go on for to long, but they may have been able to evolve it to where she goes back into the CIA.

18. ziggy says:

I’ll miss GCB, it was funny every week.

19. can’t believe they canceled GCB, especially because the last episode left such potential for the season to come… Worst decision so far!

20. maureen says:

You need to bring back Missing. Love the show. Think it needs to be on at a later time slot, it was competing against Big Bang Theory.

• Kaiser says:

I still can’t understand why Big Bang Theory gets so much atention. Horrible show, and not at all funny. Missing is a great show. Full of action and intrigue.

21. Tedy Blessed says:

I agree with all of you. Not only do the shows need time I grow but they need time to work in other time slots. The Exces don’t care much if they work in other time slots . Nothing really comes on Tuesday & Wednesday or Saturday. It’s Sunday, Monday, Thursday & Fridays that are flooded. I also am sic of cop,Dr,lawyer shows. Pan Am & GCB brought a different feel to. AMC & OLTL could have been given a chance on the night time basis. Once a week. Less writing but alonger outcome For those fans who loved those shows. I advice all of you to flood these networks with your 140 characters of Twitter love or 490 of Facebook devotion. Let them know how you feel about these shows. Until we are heard or read nothing will happen. We have to let them know the Neilson doesn’t sit in all out homes. Oh Neilson is the rating system they use.

22. familyoffour says:

I love GCB! No way –Attention other networks, bring GCB back!

23. Cindy says:

I DVR ALL of my shows, so I can watch them no matter what I am doing. I accidentally recorded GCB when it appeared in a Private Practice time slot under the name Private Practice. I laughed so hard because it was funny. So I got hooked from episode #1, but I figured that was only going to last a short time, because face it, Amanda has proven herself time and time again. They can only dog her but for so long.. lol Pan Am seemed like it was going to be a good show with their promo trailers, and I also watched that from episode #1. I agree with others comments about it having potential to be a really good show, but I kinda started losing interest towards the end. Never watched Missing, so I can’t comment on it, but I did happen to catch an episode of Scandal, and it appears to be a good show, although somewhat limited I think. Revenge has more twists and turns, I think it can be dragged out for a few seasons, and I absolutely love that show. I liked her on Brothers and Sisters, which was another show I really liked that just disappeared… Now.. I don’t know what is going on with Grey’s Anatomy.. this season finale is going to be interesting and I can’t wait to watch it! Somebody is going to die according to the preview, but I don’t see too many seasons in their future left.. They keep killing off the good people!!

24. Kaiser says:

Glad to see GCB get canceled. Who the hell watches this show? The state of Texas? Missing is an outstanding show and it’s not right that they canceled it. Of all the shows ABC has, Missing deserves to be brought back. PP should also get he boot. I heard they’re keeping The B in Apt.23. Are you kidding me? Scandal is also a very interesting show that I’m glad they’re keeping. Me & my wife really got into Pan Am and we were pissed that they got the boot. Body of Proof was also a really good show. Glad to see Desperate Housewives ending also.

25. Jennifer says:

Can not believe they canceled Missing! This such an awesome show and Sean Bean, Hello? Sure hope it can get picked up by another network somehow. Was really looking forward to a second season :-(

26. Dennis Smith says:

I don’t know why the canceled Missing. it was one of the best dramas they ever put on television. The acting is first rate and the story line is excellent. This fast moving sit on the edge of your seat show in my opinion was just to good to cancel and although the premise couldn’t go on long term it was possible to try to evolve it into a show where she might go back to being a CIA agent.

27. Restmom says:

Really liked “The River “.Different. Not the same old, same old.

28. Claudia says:

ABC you have really missed the mark this time. GCB is very funny and enjoyable to watch, it certainly could use another season to settle in and acquire more viewers. My biggest disappointment and your biggest error is cancelling Missing! Great show, very good writing, very good cast especially Ashley Judd, and a story line that is new, fresh and no where else on the TV schedule. I have been a fan of ABC for many years but you are making some bad decisions which I feel will cost you viewers. Too bad, I have always thought of you as the best station on TV. :(

29. How do we petition to keep GCB!!!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that show!!!!! :(

30. Steph says:

Nooooooooo!!!!!!! Not GCB!!!!!! This really sucks. This show is hilarious.

31. danalynn25 says:

SOOOO Sad to see GCB go! It was mega funny. The missing I never got to see but it was on a night I couldn’t watch my hubby says it was really good. C’mon ABC don’t you know when you have hit shows on your hand. I agree with everyone about Pan Am GREAT concept it just didn’t follow through I think it needed some FRESH writers

32. GLADYS SMITH says:

PLEASE GIVE MISSING ANOTHER CHANCE, I JUST LOVE IT

33. Rachel says:

NOOOOOOO!!! Bring back GCB, please???? It is hilarious! I even skip watching Mad Men to catch what these crazy women are up to!!!

34. jennifer says:

GCB was an awesome show ….it was funny and light hearted ….sorry ABC I had checked out on Desperate Housewives because it got boring ….but GCb was something new and fun….the stories were great, the writers were even better and the combination of actors was amazing !!!!! I looked forward to this every Sunday ….if you want to cancel something please cancel The Bachelor, haven’t we had enough of watching failed relationships already ?? BRING BACK GCB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. mark says:

i am pissed off about GCB that was a good show its like hard to watch tv anymore they always cancelled good shows now

36. Cynthia says:

Whoever made these decisions are just plain STUPID. Missing was the best show that ABC put on the air in a longggggggggg time. Missing is a great show….Period!

37. Linharv says:

Of all the networks cancelled shows, GCB and Missing are major mistakes. With the exception of the 2 noted above and Secret Circle, I would have never picked up an of the other show, well maybe Harry’s Law also.

38. Jen44 says:

GCB and Missing should not have been cancelled!! What a travesty! ABC should get rid of their really bad reality shows instead!! I know that they are probably cheaper to make but really…we deserve so much better on T.V. Why do they keep renewing the Bachelor and Bachelorette instead of keeping quality T.V. like GCB and Missing?? Glad they renewed Scandal though..that really is a superb show. As far as the Shonda Rhimes haters on here…the show that has run its course is Grey’s.

• Greg says:

I agree with you. I love Greys though but for some reason this season as bothered me. I feel like the hatred in the beginning between Mer and Derick really brought the show down. I think this season went on the wrong direction. I don’t want it to he cancelled just yet but I do think it has run its course

39. angie says:

Fyi, GCB became an expensive show because the majority of its supporters (ads and commercials played during the broadcast) were all called,phoned, and emailed by offended Christians about their subject matter and mocking of the Christian faith. Each week they lost another supporter…that’s what happens with shows like that. If ya ask me, good riddance to it–was a waste of a TV show anyway.

40. Dq18 says:

Glad Body of Proof survived, but REALLY sad about my guilty pleasure GCB. First Dirt Sexy Money now this…ABC hurts my heart!

41. samantha says:

GCB was AMAZINGGGGG i tape every freaking episode!!!ugh i am so completely disappointed with ABC for not bringing them back for a second season.

42. Trish says:

I love GCB, the river, and the missing. It seems like they hardly give a show a chance these days.

43. bad kevin says:

I knew about a few months ago that Pan Am was definitely going to get canceled and ABC deserve it just like it did with Playboy Club & Charlie’s Angels. Guess the female empowerment days are finally over for now. :-(

44. Elena says:

APNYC, the Nielsen’s rating system is antiquated and obviously, you’re out of the loop. Please explain why so many past cult shows did poorly ratings-wise? Did a dozen people pretend to be cults for dozens of shows?

Missing was not a perfect show but it was very entertaining. It had suspense, action, good actors and an interesting premise in addition to wonderful location shoots. I think it must have been too expensive to produce. But, it was a solid show that deserved a chance to prove itself. If Seinfeld debuted today with its Season 1 ratings, it would never have gotten a second season. The same goes for many of the most popular current and past shows on television.

Touch’s ratings are not great but they’re invested, much of it to Kiefer since he was heavily involved in 24’s success. They are giving it a chance.

45. Aaron says:

It is unfortunate that good TV like Missing gets canceled. Why do we need more reality TV shows? I don’t care to know what someone will or won’t do for money.

46. tahina says:

Body of Proof was renewed and announced yesterday in many other sites. Only show along with Castle that I watch in ABC. Sad for fans of the shows cancelled. They waited until the last minute before the Upfronts to announce them..bummer.

47. celianne says:

Yep, thanks NBC…and other networks. Love The River. They get us hooked on a show and pull the rug out from under us before they even end the story. They did that with The Event, too. Sure would like to know how that would have ended, also.

48. You guys need to rethink on Missing. This is a terrific show, full of suspense and intrigue. Finally there is a show that you don’t want to end, the hour goes by so quickly and I can’t wait for next week show and you guys are shutting it down. Clearly you are going to have alot of very disappointed viewers. I for one do not watch much tv because the shows suck but Missing certainly deserves a second and more seasons. One of the best shows on tv…along with Scandal and Person of Interest. Bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. Greg says:

I am so upset about Pan Am! Doesn’t ABC understand that many people DVR shows and not watch them at 10 o’clock on Sunday nights. I think Pan Am was completely robbed and that it should have been renewed despite the low ratings towards the end. I for one thought the show possessed many qualities that people enjoy. It had many directions it could go for season 2. So disappointed, please reconsider ABC or please let it move to cable TV. REALLY SUCH A SHAME!!!

50. MGL says:

I loved both GCB and Missing. I thought that one problem with Missing was scheduling. It came on mid-season and up against Idol and BBT. It never stood a chance of gaining that coveted 18-49 group. It should have been on later at night and not against Idol. What a shame.