Ratings: CSI Up in Finale, Modern Family Nips at Idol's Heels, Criminal Minds Dips

CSI closed out its 12th season with a total audience of 10.6 million viewers while winning its hour with a 2.4 demo rating, notching week-to-week increases of 9 and 4 percent. (That said, a rival network notes it was the CBS crime drama’s lowest-rated finale to date, but ‘cmon – it’s a dozen years old!)

Elsewhere in the 10 o’clock hour, Revenge‘s flashback episode held steady in viewers (with 7 mil) and gained a tenth in the demo (rising to 2.2), while the newly renewed SVU dropped double digits to 5.7 mil/1.7.

RELATED | TVLine’s Season Finale Guide: Get Exclusive Spoilers on 54 Big Finishes

A few other notes….

* American Idol dipped a few percentage points this Wednesday yet of course still led the pack with 16.1 million total viewers and a 4.4 — though Modern Family (10.4 mil/4.3, up 5 percent) came its closest ever to matching the reality juggernaut’s demo rating.

* Survivor: One World‘s penultimate night drew 9.7 mil and a 2.7, up 3 percent and a tenth from last week’s low. Leading out of that, Criminal Minds (11.5 mil/2.8) dipped two tenths in the demo to match a series low.

RELATED | TVLine’s May Season Finale Calendar: What’s Ending When?

* The Middle (6.6 mil/1.9) dipped a tenth, Suburgatory (6 mil/2.1) gained a tenth, and Apartment 23 (5.8 mil/2.3) was flat. because I was curious: Happy Endings‘ most recent numbers out of a fresh Modern Family were 5.3 mil/2.4.

1. I’m not really surprised that Criminal Minds dropped, the episode was pretty boring lol

• Paige says:

I agree completely, totally lacklustre and the students were ridiculously unbelievable. As was Rossi’s “interaction” with Zimmerman. Puke.

• Siria says:

Are you kidding me? This was the best episode of the last two seasons. Finally some real profiling, we got to know the Unsub 5 minutes before the end, no glorification of violence,…. It felt like season 1-4 again. It was a great episode.

• sofia says:

Were they solving the case instead of showing those (supposed to be) flashbacks (hideous btw, and that only showed that the hair and makeup departments are getting more incompetent by the day) it would have been a great episode. But like this? It was terrible. I was expecting it to have even less audience and lower ratings, was surprised when I saw these numbers.

• Michael says:

You are so right Siria maybe it the H/P shipper are just piss because they did not get what they wanted

• Criminal minds is a great show i csi was good years ago until they started messing with the actors. They need to put shows on at decent times to watch them.Now that csi miami is going it leaves two shows for me to watch on tv criminal minds and big bang theory rest is crap.

2. I’ve got to say, CSI has been pulling me back in consistently all season. Last night’s finale reminded me of why I can still love it. So much mind blowing stuff in the last few minutes! O-M-G.

3. MJ says:

CSI was so good last night. What a cliffhanger.

4. I am not surprised by Criminal minds dip, i thought the episode was really poor. I know it was a build up episode but i thought they could have done better

5. MJ says:

Yes, Criminal Minds was boring last night. That to me was more of a middle of the season episode.

6. bad kevin says:

CSI continues to have its share of shocking finale cliffhangers but last night truly blew me away. Kudos for Ted Danson on his first year on the show and of course Elisabeth Shue replacing the departed Marg Helenberger.

7. ChicagoDan says:

It’s ridiculous to talk about CSI finale dropping from last year -when it was in the more favorable 9/8 time slot. 10/9 ratings are already low. Isn’t CSI one of the top 10 p.m. series in demo overall (on any network)? I believe it might be neck-and-neck with H50. Not bad for a 12-year-old series that has flipped it’s lead stars. (BTW – Danson and Shue has completely given new life to the series.)

8. Justin says:

I don’t understand the CM drop. I absolutely loved that episode.

9. holly says:

CSI was great last night. Everything about the show drew me in and the hour was entirely to short. .Danson has done a terrific job bringing back the Karma of the series. Love that Fox is still there as well as Wallace Langum. It has become must see TV again

10. Dizzle says:

Not a CSI fan but can clearly see it’s still a strong show – no show gets numbers like CSI, Friends, ER, etc… got back in the day, there’s more competition from cable and online media outlets. To still be pulling in 10million eyeballs every week after 12 years… Show me a network who wouldn’t be happy with that!

11. Emily says:

I will be curious to see what ABC does on Wednesdays if they choose to renew both Apt. 23 and Happy Endings. I think it would be interesting for them to put both in the 10 o’clock slot, add another more ‘family oriented’ show in the line up at 9:30 and have an entire evening of comedy. Revenge could move to Sundays at 10 (with Once and a new show, not GCB)
    That being said, if it comes down to either Apt. 23 or Happy Endings, I’d choose Happy Endings everytime.

12. tahina says:

Great cliffhanger for CSI last night! 12 years and going strong, no wonder! :)

13. MichaelS says:

Rival networks need to quit bashing CSI. I agree with Matt’s statements in the article. CSI was amazing last night, great cliffhanger, just now started watching the series this season and am now hooked. I’ll continue to watch it until they decide to end it (Hopefully at the 15th season)….

14. Carm says:

CSI was awesome last night!

15. Dee Johns says:

Too Much Rossi on Criminal Minds!!

16. Britta Unfiltered says:

So…is this good news or bad news for Apartment 23? I am really liking that show. Krysten Ritter is fantastic at comedy.

17. I love Revenge but feel like Wed. night isnt letting it grow in viewers like it should,moving it to sunday after once could be a really good idea and could grow up to 10 million viewers and GCB should be moved to Revenge old time slot which will fit in becasue GCB is just a funny show.

18. Maybe I’m old-fashioned but I don’t care too much for most of the new shows on TV because they are either too gory, violent, or hokey. Unforgettable, Flashpoint, and Psych are perfect examples. Criminal Minds, although its been around for a while, leaves one with a bad view of humanity. The best shows that have come out in the past two years in my opinion are Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods (w/Tom Selleck & cast) and Mike & Molly. Still waiting for the new show NYPD 22 (with the Rookies) to come along. Notice they are progressing each week and doing better. Its interesting to see how these guys and gals react to situations on the street for the first time and how they handle them, often in it over their heads. I was concerned about the remake of Hawaii 50 because the old version was so refined and classic—imagine running around in the tropics, chasing criminals in the hills while wearing formal suits and ties. What a contrast with Don Johnson running around Miami in a sports jacket and t-shirt! But, despite overly antagonistic reactions between the modern Dan and Steve in Hawaii 50, I think the new series has evolved nicely and the other members of the cast, especially the Korean cousins are good.

19. Linderella says:

Criminal Minds was just too gruesome and unwatchable this week. No surprise it lost viewers.

20. Eric B. says:

CM dips: I didn’t like the film grain during the flashbacks. They probably did it to make them look younger but grainy screen got on my nerves I had to change the channel – on the bright side I still was counted as a viewer. I’m sure this ep. is not the reason for CM’s down trend this year. More likely the storytelling (pls. more entertainment & excitement during cases instead of cruel graphics paired with useless nice boring b-story plots w/guest stars overdone screen time), AI (competitor) and a market withdrawl generally for households with TV.

21. Susie says:

Wow I LOVED Criminal Minds. That was one of my very favorite episodes ever. I don’t understand people who didn’t like it *shakes head*
    The flashbacks were great. All the wigs and Reid back in his nerd glasses made me chuckle.I hope the numbers go back up for the finale I know I’ll be watching.

22. Charlotte says:

I loved seasons 1 thru 6 of CM with only 1 or 2 eps each season really bothering me. Season 7 tho … with Erica Messer at the helm has been incredibly reckless presenting storylines that are just irresponsible, cruel, insensitive and yes, too much despicable unsub screen-time. The “Profiling 101″ ep was just such an example though I liked the idea of them teaching a class on profiling but they really should have chosen a different subject matter. It was just meant to shock. And Rossi. Not convincing as the tortured soul with the grim annual birthday ritual. I know some loyal viewers who quit the show after “Proof” aired. It’s a shame since there were some really excellent eps this season like “Dorado Falls”, “Unknown Subject”, “Foundation” and “The Company” which all stood out for me. I will watch the finale but I don’t know if I’ll be back next season.

23. I think, that you are mistaken Write to me in PM, we will discuss.