Idology: Elise Testone on 'Vienna,' 'Whole Lotta Love' and the Moment J.Lo 'Crossed the Line'

To say Elise Testone‘s American Idol trajectory had its ups and downs would be like saying the 2012 presidential campaign is mildly contentious. Indeed, the Season 11 rocker chick gave us some of the choicest moments of Season 11 — think “Vienna,” “Whole Lotta Love,” and “Bold as Love” — but also struggled with what some observers felt was an unbecoming attitude when faced with trips to the Bottom 3 and tough criticism from Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson.

Now, in a two-part Idology interview, Elise addresses her fans and detractors, explaining her state of mind when she found herself repeatedly in jeopardy early in the season, the thought process behind some of her signature runs, which lyrics in particular she was excited to bring to life, how the grueling Idol process helped her learn more about herself as an artist, and which criticism from Jennifer Lopez made her brain do a CTRL+ALT+DEL.

RELATED | American Idol Top 4 Performance Recap: Lost in the Wilderness

So press play below on Parts 1 and 2 of the Elise Testone Idology Experience, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Red in Denver says:

Loved Elise from the very start — such a unique vocal tone. Of the last several shows before she was eliminated, she was the ONLY female who really sounded a lot different than the other 3 (power diva-type singers).

I would have loved for her to win; but knew she wouldn’t get that far. AI voters don’t seem to care much for females; in particular females who are much over the age of 18.

• Marsaili says:

Or females that aren’t mini-copies of already existing Divas. Not that I am dismissing the talents of Jessica—but what she does has already been done—over and over and over and over……..Elise is fresh and new and her own thing—I would have loved to see her win!!!

• Suggestor says:

Actually you did just dismiss Jessica’s talents, if what she does could be done over and over then you’d have ten million hits on hundreds of other idols. You just wrote an imaginary qualifier so you can cheaply bash Jessica while praising Elise. Listen to Nina Simone, Lauryn Hill and many other great female voices… Elise fits in that group. She has her voice and her talent but there’s no need to take cheap shots at Jessica because she’s the only female standing. You can be better than that.

• Suggestor says:

” millions of hits” (Referring to youtube hits)

• Marsaili says:

Ok, let me re-word that–because in my words I did dismiss her talents—which in my mind and my heart I would never do because she is hugely talented—I guess my point was that she hasn’t come into her own yet—she’s only 16 and at this point all she can do (with what she’s had available to her up until now) is to copy the people she admires. Elise has 13 years on her–she KNOWS who she is, as a human and as a singer and her voice IS unique—there isn’t anyone else like her. As Jessica gets older and her opportunities increase, she will be able to find her self, in her being and her music—she isn’t there yet. And maybe she’ll be able to make herself unique apart from the divas that she admires—but as of right now, the things that she does, HAVE been done before. I haven’t seen anyone like Elise. Oh, and I never made it a POINT to take a cheap shot at Jessica—that isn’t my intention or my desire—why would I do that—Oh, because I like Phillip you ASSUME that I have the need to take cheap shots at the others? WELL, if you have seen my posts, I have ALWAYS come to the defense of ALL the contestants—when these posters on this board seem to feel it is necessary to insult one contestant to elevate their favorite. I don’t do that. And I have said since the top 6 that I am happy for whomever wins because I don’t have a clear favorite—I am torn between Phillip and Joshua but I’d be happy for Jessica if she won, too. I don’t play those games.

• Marsaili says:

Oh, and when I saw what Jessica does has been done over and over again, I am not talking about other little girls imitating their idols, I’m talking about the people that she admires—the Beyonce’s, the Mariah’s, the Whitney’s—THAT is what I was talking about.

2. Follow says:

ELISE YOU’RE STILL THE BEST FOR MEE

3. Donna says:

Elise is smart, talented, mature, experienced and confident in herself. As such she probably would have been a terrible AI winner. She wouldn’t have slotted into the mushy AI pop machine very happily. She probably could do very well eventually moving into a role as a producer, and sticking with her values.

4. Amy says:

Yay…let me second the “Two Parts!”
    ok that outta the way…
    Maturity makes for a good interview too. She made some wise and self-understanding comments, that explained well to us, too, her choices and thoughts. It’s why we love these post-exit interviews, Michael…tks!

Btw re: Hendrix…I’ll repeat what I posted here after that show about knowing that song….I’m not a Hendrix fan, and unaware of most of the details of his tunes. However, I’m “from that era” and aware of his overall sound. So, while I was unfamiliar with that song it DIDN’T MATTER to me, Elise….I really just heard a great singer doing her version of a Hendrix song, where her vocals kind of WERE the guitar on this one. At least to my ear, that’s the way I heard it, and thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated it…didn’t matter that I really didn’t know the song.

It sounds basic and pedestrian to say, but “good is good”…and sometimes when you hear good (or great)….all the rest, the analysis, nitpicking the judges do etc, just doesn’t matter….it communicates something all on it’s own.