Ratings: New Girl, The Voice and Unforgettable Rise With Finales, Private Practice At New Low

Tuesday was a good night to be airing your final episode of the season, as New Girl, The Voice, Unforgettable and Last Man Standing all bowed out on the upside.

The Voice’s second coronation drew 11.6 million total viewers and a night-leading 4.3 demo rating, up 7 and 23 percent from its Season 1 capper. New Girl wrapped its freshman run with 5.53 mil/2.8, surging 26 percent, while Unforgettable (10.7 mil/2.0) rose 11 percent in the demo. Last Man Standing (6.6 mil/1.7) was up 13 percent in the demo.

RECAP | The Voice Season 2 Finale: And the Winner Is….

Tuesday’s biggest blow meanwhile was absorbed by ABC bubble show Private Practice (6.1 mil/1.5), which opposite the back half of The Voice‘s two-hour finale dropped 18 and 29 percent, hitting a new demo low. (And before you cry “foul,” note that Unforgettable was up versus that stiffer 10 o’clock competition.)

Elsewhere….

* NCIS was the night’s most-watched program with 17.8 million total viewers, yet dipped a tenth in the demo to a new season low of 3.0. A very fun NCIS: LA was steady at 14.5 mil/3.0, crushing DWTS (13.3 mil/2.3) but placing second in the hour in the demo, behind The Voice.

* Setting the table for New Girl, Glee (6.5 mil/2.6) itself saw gains of 8 percent and a tenth.

RELATED | ABC’s Cougar Town May Relocate to TBS

* Cougar Town (4.72 mil/1.5) rose 15 percent in the demo.

* Both 90210 (1.32 mil/0.6) and The L.A. Complex (678K/0.3) grabbed a few more viewers.

1. Sarah says:

I NEED a season two of Unforgettable. They can’t leave us like that!

2. Alex says:

Shame that the New Girl finale was such a giant mess when the show has been so consistently funny for the past several weeks.

• Deena says:

I loved it! very true to the show with little bit more feeling

• Alex says:

I mean, it wasn’t like TERRIBLE, but it was kind of disappointing considering how fantastic the second half of the season has been, and there were way too many stories going on at once.

• Spoiler Junkie says:

I thought I was the only one who thought that the finale of New Girl was a letdown. Did not like it at all.

• Anon says:

I wholeheartedly loved New Girl’s season finale episode last night.

3. Heather says:

Wow, that sucks for Private Practice. It was a great episode last night too. Sounds like they had way too much competition last night from the other shows’ season finales. =(

• cookie kirk says:

Hey,I love p/practice but some of there story lines have been a real turn off. I hated the episode w/Hispanic woman who wanted to have her baby before she got deported. IT was just wrong that the doctors helped this woman commit fraud. It was wrong.

4. bad kevin says:

The Voice finale was truly one of a kind and I hate to wonder if Unforgettable gets renewed ’cause the series was so lame from the beginning and as for Last Man Standing, we’ll see if ABC plans to revive the TGIF lineup.

5. Daniela says:

Sucks for PRIVATE PRACTICE. :(
    If GOSSIP GIRL still has chances of getting renewed does THE LA COMPLEX too? ;)

6. Petra says:

New Girl finale was precious. Can’t wait for season two to start!!

7. How are more people not watching New Girl? Loved the first season, and the finale. Glad Cougar Town increased!

• davey says:

I watched the first half of the season for New Girl and found I got much bigger laughs with Happy Endings – both which seem like they are going for the same audience – so I stayed with HE.
      As for Cougar Town – Love Love Love it! So much heart and humor! It would still be pulling a 2.0+ demo if it wan’t for the horrendous time slot following the horrendous Last Man Standing!

• Bethany says:

Happy Endings is not even on the same night as New Girl, why can you not watch both? Just wondering.

8. xav says:

It’s almost as if changing the day a show airs half way through a season after a long hiatus and years in the same timeslot has an effect on viewership. I am shocked by that.

• Ryan says:

Exactly. “Private Practice” belongs with “Grey’s Anatomy.” There’s a reason why PP was stable and consistent on Thursdays at 10:00. I love, love, love “Scandal” but it is nothing like GA. PP and GA fit together perfectly. Though, I’d be happy if Thursday was a Shonda-night with all three shows (“Scandal” at 8, “Grey’s” at 9, PP at 10).

9. susela says:

It’s time to end “Private Practice.” The doctors endlessly meddle in each others’ and their patients’ lives, in unhealthy and even illegal ways. Pete kills a patient despite the next-of-kin’s wishes for life support? And says he’d do it again? Sorry, but it’s not for him to decide; he should lose his license. I am so tired of these self-righteous characters. It’s time to take the show off life support and allow it a dignified death.

• Ryan says:

Did you finish the episode? Charlotte (she who I worship at all hours of the day) had Pete arrested and next week he gets denied bail. This isn’t something he’ll be let off the hook for. The only thing I’m wary about is how it’ll be resolved. Izzie cutting Denny’s LVAD wire or whatever was kind of brushed over halfway into season 3 with no real consequences but it looks like Pete might have legal ramifications to face and not just professional ones like Izzie did. I won’t lie, though: I’d be totally cool if Pete goes to jail and never comes back. Sam can go with him. But I think “Private Practice” deserves a final, 13-episode season on Thursdays at 10:00 in the fall and then “Scandal” can take the time-slot in the spring (because I’m convinced they’ll be better off with short seasons given how intense the show is). Though, I won’t lie, I mainly want a final season of PP because I can’t lose KaDee Strickland. So I’m mainly being selfish.

• cookie kirk says:

I so agree. These characters need some re-running. Violet reminds me of motor mouth “Bethany” on bravo,she never shuts up. Even when Pete tells her to sell the house,he doesn’t care,she still goes through this whole,exhausting,”I’ll ask my friends thing. I just wanted to shoot my tv. If my doctors were like this I’d have the best medical care in the world. Violet please shut up!!!

10. Pash says:

“Cougar Town rose 15% in the demo” I like those words but 15% of hardly any isn’t much. I’m still hopeful Cougar Town will get picked up somewhere.

11. Becca says:

Arg Private Practice is making me very nervous with these less than stellar ratings!

12. Velvet says:

The New Girl finale was great. Zooey Deschanel’s attempt to scare away a coyote was absolutely the most hilarious thing I have seen in a long time. I laughed so hard I made sounds I didn’t even know I could make. I watched that scene over and over and the hilarity never waned. Awesome finale. Schmidt’s ‘White Fang” scene was heart-warming.

13. Greg says:

I’ll never understand why CBS dumped the awesome Good Wife onto the Sunday schedule for Unforgettable. I tried to get into the show, but I spent most of the time eyerolling at the antics of Poppy Montgomery’s character. She is beyond annoying and no way is Poppy the ‘star’ of the show. I don’t think she is much of an actress either. It’s just my opinion – I know others will disagree.

• Sarah says:

Well, I disagree. She was FANTASTIC on the season finale! Such an underrated actress. Love her <3

14. Frank says:

A 3.0 is a season low score for NCIS, somewhere NBC execs are jealous…

15. greysfan says:

What the hell with Private Practice. That just sucks big time. The show is great. I am so surprised by this. I think this shows that Tuesdays at 10pm for ABC, whatever you try there is just going to suck. I really hope ABC doesn’t do a Brothers and Sisters on us and just cancel the show without a proper goodbye.

16. Wouter says:

I really don’t see the appeal of New Girl. I think most of the cast is so annoying.

• henry says:

Preach! I mean, Zooey Deschanel is cute and everything, but they make her so quirky and like a wannabe cool girl it just sooo over the top and annoying I just can’t bring myself to watch the show. I watched the first half of the season but then I just couldn’t take it anymore, don’t know if she still has that attitude but I just can’t bear to watch…

17. destiny says:

what about glee?

18. N. says:

Only caught “New Girl” and “NCIS” last night. They were both good, not their best, but still enjoyable and entertaining. Whoever put Ziva in that black dress last night – I’d like to thank you. Yowza. Thanks for the update, Matt.

19. Amy says:

Put Private Practice out of its misery. I used to like it, now it feels like a chore to try and watch it.

20. Les says:

The storylines on Private Practice are beyond boring. So over Addison being a weepy, pathetic woman who can’t live without a man, sleeps with every man in her office, and now has a baby. What happened to the strong super surgeon from Greys Anatomy? I gave up on the show. Deleted last weeks episode and cancelled the series off of my dvr. Amy is right, it had become such a chore to watch it.

• cookie kirk says:

Why can’t this staff of doctors react to events, car pile-ups,cop shootings,people jumping off buildings,road rage, anything!!! Please stop all this “I’m trying to be happy thing” they have everything. Money,houses,and love,cars,and great practices. Stop already. Most of my friends have been laid off from their great paying jobs and r depressed. This show does not connect w/what’s going on in real life.