Ratings: New Girl, The Voice and Unforgettable Rise With Finales, Private Practice At New Low

Tuesday was a good night to be airing your final episode of the season, as New Girl, The Voice, Unforgettable and Last Man Standing all bowed out on the upside.

The Voice’s second coronation drew 11.6 million total viewers and a night-leading 4.3 demo rating, up 7 and 23 percent from its Season 1 capper. New Girl wrapped its freshman run with 5.53 mil/2.8, surging 26 percent, while Unforgettable (10.7 mil/2.0) rose 11 percent in the demo. Last Man Standing (6.6 mil/1.7) was up 13 percent in the demo.

RECAP | The Voice Season 2 Finale: And the Winner Is….

Tuesday’s biggest blow meanwhile was absorbed by ABC bubble show Private Practice (6.1 mil/1.5), which opposite the back half of The Voice‘s two-hour finale dropped 18 and 29 percent, hitting a new demo low. (And before you cry “foul,” note that Unforgettable was up versus that stiffer 10 o’clock competition.)

Elsewhere….

* NCIS was the night’s most-watched program with 17.8 million total viewers, yet dipped a tenth in the demo to a new season low of 3.0. A very fun NCIS: LA was steady at 14.5 mil/3.0, crushing DWTS (13.3 mil/2.3) but placing second in the hour in the demo, behind The Voice.

* Setting the table for New Girl, Glee (6.5 mil/2.6) itself saw gains of 8 percent and a tenth.

RELATED | ABC’s Cougar Town May Relocate to TBS

* Cougar Town (4.72 mil/1.5) rose 15 percent in the demo.

* Both 90210 (1.32 mil/0.6) and The L.A. Complex (678K/0.3) grabbed a few more viewers.

Comments (40)

• I NEED a season two of Unforgettable. They can’t leave us like that!

Comment by Sarah – May 9, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well deserve

Comment by RENNY – May 9, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yap, second that!
      But did you notice, that when Carrie and Al kiss in the motel room, you can see the camera guy in the mirror xD

Comment by Natalie – May 9, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! Carrie and Al just got together season 2 is needed :D

Comment by Diana – May 9, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame that the New Girl finale was such a giant mess when the show has been so consistently funny for the past several weeks.

Comment by Alex – May 9, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved it! very true to the show with little bit more feeling

Comment by Deena – May 9, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I mean, it wasn’t like TERRIBLE, but it was kind of disappointing considering how fantastic the second half of the season has been, and there were way too many stories going on at once.

Comment by Alex – May 9, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought I was the only one who thought that the finale of New Girl was a letdown. Did not like it at all.

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – May 9, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wholeheartedly loved New Girl’s season finale episode last night.

Comment by Anon – May 9, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Meep-meep! I agree. Loved the solo dancing at the end and a cameo by Remy!

Comment by Bethany – May 9, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, that sucks for Private Practice. It was a great episode last night too. Sounds like they had way too much competition last night from the other shows’ season finales. =(

Comment by Heather – May 9, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey,I love p/practice but some of there story lines have been a real turn off. I hated the episode w/Hispanic woman who wanted to have her baby before she got deported. IT was just wrong that the doctors helped this woman commit fraud. It was wrong.

Comment by cookie kirk – May 9, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Voice finale was truly one of a kind and I hate to wonder if Unforgettable gets renewed ’cause the series was so lame from the beginning and as for Last Man Standing, we’ll see if ABC plans to revive the TGIF lineup.

Comment by bad kevin – May 9, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sucks for PRIVATE PRACTICE. :(
    If GOSSIP GIRL still has chances of getting renewed does THE LA COMPLEX too? ;)

Comment by Daniela – May 9, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i hope la complex doesn,t what a melrose rip off. gg sucked after s2.

Comment by lorna – May 9, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Girl finale was precious. Can’t wait for season two to start!!

Comment by Petra – May 9, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How are more people not watching New Girl? Loved the first season, and the finale. Glad Cougar Town increased!

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – May 9, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched the first half of the season for New Girl and found I got much bigger laughs with Happy Endings – both which seem like they are going for the same audience – so I stayed with HE.
      As for Cougar Town – Love Love Love it! So much heart and humor! It would still be pulling a 2.0+ demo if it wan’t for the horrendous time slot following the horrendous Last Man Standing!

Comment by davey – May 9, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Happy Endings is not even on the same night as New Girl, why can you not watch both? Just wondering.

Comment by Bethany – May 9, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s almost as if changing the day a show airs half way through a season after a long hiatus and years in the same timeslot has an effect on viewership. I am shocked by that.

Comment by xav – May 9, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. “Private Practice” belongs with “Grey’s Anatomy.” There’s a reason why PP was stable and consistent on Thursdays at 10:00. I love, love, love “Scandal” but it is nothing like GA. PP and GA fit together perfectly. Though, I’d be happy if Thursday was a Shonda-night with all three shows (“Scandal” at 8, “Grey’s” at 9, PP at 10).

Comment by Ryan – May 9, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s time to end “Private Practice.” The doctors endlessly meddle in each others’ and their patients’ lives, in unhealthy and even illegal ways. Pete kills a patient despite the next-of-kin’s wishes for life support? And says he’d do it again? Sorry, but it’s not for him to decide; he should lose his license. I am so tired of these self-righteous characters. It’s time to take the show off life support and allow it a dignified death.

Comment by susela – May 9, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you finish the episode? Charlotte (she who I worship at all hours of the day) had Pete arrested and next week he gets denied bail. This isn’t something he’ll be let off the hook for. The only thing I’m wary about is how it’ll be resolved. Izzie cutting Denny’s LVAD wire or whatever was kind of brushed over halfway into season 3 with no real consequences but it looks like Pete might have legal ramifications to face and not just professional ones like Izzie did. I won’t lie, though: I’d be totally cool if Pete goes to jail and never comes back. Sam can go with him. But I think “Private Practice” deserves a final, 13-episode season on Thursdays at 10:00 in the fall and then “Scandal” can take the time-slot in the spring (because I’m convinced they’ll be better off with short seasons given how intense the show is). Though, I won’t lie, I mainly want a final season of PP because I can’t lose KaDee Strickland. So I’m mainly being selfish.

Comment by Ryan – May 9, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree. These characters need some re-running. Violet reminds me of motor mouth “Bethany” on bravo,she never shuts up. Even when Pete tells her to sell the house,he doesn’t care,she still goes through this whole,exhausting,”I’ll ask my friends thing. I just wanted to shoot my tv. If my doctors were like this I’d have the best medical care in the world. Violet please shut up!!!

Comment by cookie kirk – May 9, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Cougar Town rose 15% in the demo” I like those words but 15% of hardly any isn’t much. I’m still hopeful Cougar Town will get picked up somewhere.

Comment by Pash – May 9, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arg Private Practice is making me very nervous with these less than stellar ratings!

Comment by Becca – May 9, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The New Girl finale was great. Zooey Deschanel’s attempt to scare away a coyote was absolutely the most hilarious thing I have seen in a long time. I laughed so hard I made sounds I didn’t even know I could make. I watched that scene over and over and the hilarity never waned. Awesome finale. Schmidt’s ‘White Fang” scene was heart-warming.

Comment by Velvet – May 9, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll never understand why CBS dumped the awesome Good Wife onto the Sunday schedule for Unforgettable. I tried to get into the show, but I spent most of the time eyerolling at the antics of Poppy Montgomery’s character. She is beyond annoying and no way is Poppy the ‘star’ of the show. I don’t think she is much of an actress either. It’s just my opinion – I know others will disagree.

Comment by Greg – May 9, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, I disagree. She was FANTASTIC on the season finale! Such an underrated actress. Love her <3

Comment by Sarah – May 9, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A 3.0 is a season low score for NCIS, somewhere NBC execs are jealous…

Comment by Frank – May 9, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell with Private Practice. That just sucks big time. The show is great. I am so surprised by this. I think this shows that Tuesdays at 10pm for ABC, whatever you try there is just going to suck. I really hope ABC doesn’t do a Brothers and Sisters on us and just cancel the show without a proper goodbye.

Comment by greysfan – May 9, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t see the appeal of New Girl. I think most of the cast is so annoying.

Comment by Wouter – May 9, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach! I mean, Zooey Deschanel is cute and everything, but they make her so quirky and like a wannabe cool girl it just sooo over the top and annoying I just can’t bring myself to watch the show. I watched the first half of the season but then I just couldn’t take it anymore, don’t know if she still has that attitude but I just can’t bear to watch…

Comment by henry – May 9, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about glee?

Comment by destiny – May 9, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nevermind, just saw it!

Comment by destiny – May 9, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only caught “New Girl” and “NCIS” last night. They were both good, not their best, but still enjoyable and entertaining. Whoever put Ziva in that black dress last night – I’d like to thank you. Yowza. Thanks for the update, Matt.

Comment by N. – May 9, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put Private Practice out of its misery. I used to like it, now it feels like a chore to try and watch it.

Comment by Amy – May 9, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The storylines on Private Practice are beyond boring. So over Addison being a weepy, pathetic woman who can’t live without a man, sleeps with every man in her office, and now has a baby. What happened to the strong super surgeon from Greys Anatomy? I gave up on the show. Deleted last weeks episode and cancelled the series off of my dvr. Amy is right, it had become such a chore to watch it.

Comment by Les – May 10, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why can’t this staff of doctors react to events, car pile-ups,cop shootings,people jumping off buildings,road rage, anything!!! Please stop all this “I’m trying to be happy thing” they have everything. Money,houses,and love,cars,and great practices. Stop already. Most of my friends have been laid off from their great paying jobs and r depressed. This show does not connect w/what’s going on in real life.

Comment by cookie kirk – May 10, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post