Report: Britney Spears Officially Signs On as X Factor Judge. Will You Watch?

All eyes on her in the center of the ring just like a circus. Yes, folks, in a case of life imitating art, Britney Spears will indeed be under intense scrutiny come this fall when she takes a seat alongside Simon Cowell, L.A. Reid, and a yet-to-be-named fourth judge on Season 2 of The X Factor.

Spears will be compensated handsomely for her troubles, of course. The Cowell-produced singing competition is reportedly paying her $15 million for a single season, according to E!

Fox had no comment on the report.

RELATED | Britney Spears Rumored as X Factor Mentor: Would Live TV Really Be a Good Fit for Her?

Spears is joining X Factor after an inaugural season that scored decent ratings that were nevertheless considered a disappointment relative to the amount of hype and press the show received. As a result, executive producer Cowell fired judges Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger, plus host Steve Jones, earlier this year.

What do you think of Britney joining X Factor? Do you think she’ll be up to the task of giving constructive, concise feedback to musical hopefuls on a live telecast? Take our poll, then sound off below!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. RLS says:

We all love Britney, but she’s been such a zombie lately I dunno. We’ll see. I think I’ll definitely be watching though

• KevyB says:

She’s never been able to string several intelligible words together, so clearly Cowell is going for the Paula Abdul factor here. But her singing is even worse than Paula’s! Is she going to make comments on how good Autotune was?

• greysfan says:

I agree. Personally I would have preferred Beyonce although that is not out of the question yet as the 4th judge is still unknown. Mind you i still can’t believe they kept LA Reid. They should have started completely fresh.

2. Steph says:

I wasn’t planning on it but since I’m a huge Britney fan I’ll watch it now. I just hope she does really well and proves the haters wrong. Go Brit!

3. martina says:

The only show she can judge is “So you think you can Lipsync?”

• Steph says:

These kind of statements bug me. Yes she lip syncs during live performances along with most of the artists out there today but at least she puts on a show. She does get in the studio and record albums and she does dance. Maybe she’s not the Britney from the 2000’s but she’s still Britney freakin Spears. She’s an icon and is the definition of the X Factor.

• Shannon says:

TOTALLY agree Steph!! I don’t remember anyone saying she is an amazing singer but she is a true entertainer and puts on a great show. Nearly every pop star out there lip syncs and I don’t get why Britney still gets flack for doing the same thing. No one goes to see Britney Spears to hear her sing live you go to hear her insanely catchy songs and watch an amazing performance.

• Spike says:

arent the judges singing with the contestants at some point tho? and how will britney be able to teach them anything about vocals …

• Steph says:

No they don’t sing with the contestants. The Voice does but not X Factor. Do you think Simon or LA Reid is going to get on stage and sing with them? no.

• S says:

“arent the judges singing with the contestants at some point tho?” Why would you post that? Think about your comment. You think Simon and LA Reid will sing with the contestants? NO.

• martina says:

Please, that’s a lame excuse! Just because “most of the artists out there today” do it she has to, too? X Factor is, supposedly a singing competition, and she cannot sing even if her life depended on it. Yes, he can put up a show and sure she could judge about that, but there’s a lot of artists who can actually sing and judge others on that.

• R says:

Keep this in mind that although winning these shows like American Idol, X-Factor is mainly about the singing talent, but Charisma and as the show goes “X factor” is needed evenly! Britney is the undisputed biggest Pop sensation in last 20 years and has maintained that status with all upheaval in her life.. and I have heard her live (WITHOUT AUTOTONE!) , she sounds pretty awesome , better than some of the current judges on other shows!

• Steph says:

The X Factor is necessarily about having the biggest voice. It’s about having the “it” factor to become a superstar. They’re are different types of singers. Not everybody needs to have a Whitney Houston type of voice. If you take away all the auto tuned crap Britney can actually sing. Just watch her when she was 10 years old on Star Search. Her voice was actually strong back then. The bottom line is that she knows what it takes to become a superstar. She’s been there and done that.

• Kat says:

Are you for real? This is the most ridiculous excuse ever. She lipsyncs every song because she dances…. You know who also dances and puts Show? Nsync, J.Timberlake, Backstreet Boys, Madonna just to name few. And they sing LIVE every song. For 2 hours concert. While Britney can’t even sing ONE song live. And this is because she can’t sing. And not because she dances. And I can’t believe how her fans can buy expensive ticket and then see her lipsync every freaking song. You SHOULD DEMAND BETTER from her.

• FreeHaley says:

Shakira can move and sing really well live. PInk too.
          But many do struggle with that. I think a few of the ones you mention actually do lip sync here and there during parts of certain songs and for certain songs. I think even Pink may have lip sync a little here whne absolutely needed, not sure. Shakira actually appears to be 100% live for it all, despite all her dancing.

But Britney actually has a much stronger voice than people give her credit for and she can sing live a lot better than the true pure auto-tuners. And I’ve seen some shows where people tried to sing her songs, and as easy as they appear at first glance, everyone pretty much bombed on their attempts.

• Actually, she sang most of her songs on her Femme Fatale tour LIVE. We love her either way :)

• Calli says:

Two words: Tina Turner. Even as a senior citizen, owns the stage with high energy and sings live. If she can do what she does at her age, there are no excuses for the younger generations.

• millie says:

I agree that most pop stars lip sync and I’m sure she’s autotuned in the studio. And if people like that, great, buy her music. But if you make your living as a singer and can’t sing live without autotune you really shouldn’t be judging a singing contest.

• Tess says:

I thought it was already well established that unlike The Voice and Idol, X-Factor is not just looking for the best voice but the total package. Britney is the epitome of having the X-Factor so I have no problem with her judging or mentoring – she’s certainly been through the highs and lows of the biz and she’s no worse a singer than JLo…who knows, she might just find a real good niche here and really surprise people. I’m not a fan of hers, but I am pulling for her to do well on the show. Fingers crossed they pick someone better than Demi Lovato or Miley Cyrus for the other spot though.

4. Rolfe says:

Great day for gays! Britney will be amazing!

5. kim delmotte says:

ithink it iwll be great for her myheart goes out to her

6. Babygate says:

I don’t like reality shows. Don’t live AI and can’t stand The Voice, particularly because of Cee Lo Green. Didn’t watch and had no intentions of watching X-Factor, but now, I have to admit I might check it out. The first time I tuned in to Glee was to check out Britney’s guest appearance and I continued to watch after that.

7. Emma says:

What a joke! A professional mimer judging real singers?!

8. Nick says:

Christina is so mad she just lost her pants.

9. E says:

Not a chance in hell

10. Stacey says:

I didn’t want to watch next year after being bored and hated how they did the process. But I am a Britney fan. So I am going have to watch to see because I am extremely curious to see how Britney does once auditions are over… Although Simon is there, and even if Britney doesn’t have anything useful to say like Paula or Nicole. Simon and LA will fight for attention. I am curious what group will she be given. The groups or the over 30’s. Since Simon will want the girls again, and LA the boys… Hmmm….

• Grace says:

It doesn’t really work like that.. they get assigned a group of acts; they don’t get to pick who they mentor.

• Stacey says:

Of course Simon does. You really think he lets them tell him the section he is going to mentor. I doubt very much they will tell him no if he says he wants Girls again. Although with the success of One Direction. Maybe Simon will want the groups…to be able to America to like them. Although having Britney as a mentor might get some attention. Whether it gets votes, who knows… Depends.

11. Aymee says:

Not gonna lie… Really not feeling X Factor after last season.. but I’ll tune in to see how this goes down.

12. R says:

I am not really big on these music relaity shows.. but bringing Britney onboard, X Factor may have earned me as a prospective viewer.. and many Brit fans like me!
    After all, IT’S BRITNEY, B****! :P

13. George says:

Nope, I don’t watch reality TV unless it’s in the True Crime/Law Enforcement Genre. I really prefer Scripted TV. Fox continues to undermind itself especially when they only 2 hour block lineup and Idiotic cancellations.(e.g. The Chicago Code)

14. writerross says:

Will not watch the show. Tried last year and it wasn’t happening for me. Has that America’s Got Talent feel — another awful show.

Whewsh. I feel better after that primal scream. :)

15. DRW says:

She may not be a great singer but you can’t deny she’s the epitome of ‘the X factor’. Hope she pulls this off and has more of the infectious personality she had _ many years ago.

16. aleks says:

Yesssss!!! As a huuuuge Britney fan, I’ll definitely tune in even though i hate these competition shows. It’s Britney, bitch! :D

17. XFACTOR says:

I am going to watch it now that I know Britney will be on the show.

18. wrstlgirl says:

How many singing reality competition shows do we need. Have I ever tuned in…No, will I tune in now…..No.

19. JD says:

Good for them I won’t watch since I don’t like singing competitions. Nothing against Britney. I just think that with the budget for American idol and x factor combined they could of given Terra Nova season 2 instead.

20. Jeremy Gable says:

I’ve honestly never been more excited to see a singing competition. :P

21. RD says:

I’ll be fine even with her if they turn the crowd noise down

22. Anonymous says:

She can’t be worse than Christina on The Voice!

23. JASon says:

WHo is Britney Spears? She seems like a pretty giel from the picture!

24. Scout says:

I think this market of singing/talent show is saturated – and quite frankly, I’m over it. It has nothing to do with Britney. She can’t be any worse than Nicole…. Congrats Britney.

25. darcy's evil twin says:

Oops, they did it again!

26. raftrap says:

Can we get Cheryl Cole back please?

27. nickp91 says:

Britney Spears is signed to be a judge on the upcoming ‘X-Factor’, getting $15 MILLION to sit with Simon Cowell

28. Leo says:

Who wants to see her heavy medicated self on tv every week? Girl is the most overcontroled popstar ever, there will be no spontaneity whatsoever with her. I feel bad for her, all the pressure from this job will not be good for her fragile mind.

29. Yawn says:

This will be cringeworthy. Girl is a dancer with a mediocre voice and great producers. The most she’ll have to offer contestants will be “That was awesome, y’all.” She’s too nice to give constructive criticism. She’s too medicated and under the thumb of her conservators to be a trainwreck (a la Paula.) This will be as exciting as watching paint dry.

30. jennifer says:

How the heck can she judge a vocal competition? This is just the stupidest thing I have ever seen

31. RM says:

For her last tour, her management required all the press to ask only prescreened questions. Carson Daly, a soft touch interviewer to begin with, balked at essentially being told what to ask and walked away from the interview. How heavily will she be dosed to put her in front of live TV cameras?

32. JC says:

She will be great I will tune in of course Britney has a huge fan base worldwide and Simon knew that. Simon is smart to get her on board I can’t wait this will be interesting to see. Huge britney fan right here :)

33. Renie says:

I thought x factor was a signing show? How is a crazy person goin to judge unless they changed it! BAHAHAHA the girl sucks! Im ashamed to even say we come from the same state. And look ok if ur in the signing business u might want to b able to sing not just be a “entertainer” if she wants to b a entertainer she needs to just go dance on the poll. The only thing she is good is goin crazy when shes not in the spot light

34. I’m only here to answer the title question…

35. “up to the task of giving concise, constructive feedback”? hell no. but, then again, neither are most singing/dancing show judges. so i’m not sure that’s the bar to set. but i, for one, can’t bear the thought of watching britney trainwreck her way through this. there’s a reason she rarely speaks (unscripted) in public these days. cowell made a huge ratings play, but at the cost of any remaining integrity for his show.

36. Marc says:

37. Bill says:

Britney Spears is super old news. No one cares about her. And her lack of talent is coming out now more than ever. Having her be a “judge” makes me sad that a washed out wench will have any say-so in someone else’s musical future

• el says:

Your wrong, I CARE!!!! I LOVE Britney and im excited to see her on this show!!! NO doubt she will shine!!! Who better then someone whos been in this industry as long as she has!!!

38. el says:

YAY!!!! Who better to judge then someone in the industry from a young age!!! Im sure Britney will be great!!! Looking foward to seeing her!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE Britney!!!