American Idol Top 4 Song Spoilers Leaked: But Who Will Cover What?

american idol top 4Thank heavens for Ray Chew and his penchant for leaking song spoilers. Earlier today, the American Idol bandleader revealed the 10 tracks that will comprise tonight’s Top 4 performance show, built around the dual themes of California Dreamin’ (Songs by Arists from the Golden State) and The Song I Wish I Wrote (er, presumably a track each contestant really, really likes?).

Below, the set list:

RELATED | American Idol: What Should the Top 4 Cover for California Dreamin’ Week?

California Dreamin’
Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”
Etta James’ “Steal Away”
Josh Groban’s “You Raise Me Up”
Journey’s “Faithfully”

RELATED | American Idol Top 5 Results Recap: She Ain’t No Fortunate One

The Song I Wish I Wrote
“And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” (from Dreamgirls)
Bonnie Raitt’s “I Can’t Make You Love Me”
Damien Rice’s “Volcano”
James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World”

Duets
Maroon 5’s “This Love”
The Bangles’ “Eternal Flame”

And now, let’s getto speculatin’ about the solos!

Phillip Phillips: Stylistically, he’s so different from his three competitors, it makes it seemingly easy to figure out what he’s gonna tackle. I mean, it’s not like he’s going to cover something from Dreamgirls, right? Right? Right. That’s why I’m predicting a one-two punch of “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” and “Volcano.”

Jessica Sanchez: Jessica was pretty tremendous in Vegas when she sang “The Prayer,” and “You Raise Me Up” has some sonic and lyrical similarities. And while I worry about Bebe Chez going MIA during a two-ballads-in-one-week mission, Jessica might get herself a moment if she goes with a quiet arrangement and lets her voice soar on “I Can’t Make You Love Me.”

Joshua Ledet: I know, I know, it’s probably a longshot, but I might have to get out the smelling salts if Joshua gets all old-school funky on “Steal Away.” It certainly would be prudent for him to differentiate himself by tackling something associated with a female artist, no? And then he can keep the old-soul holleration going with “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” — allowing us all the joy of head-to-head comparisons with The Voice‘s Juliet Simms!

Hollie Cavanagh: I’d bet a gugillion dollars that Hollie watches (or at least used to watch) Glee, which might draw her to a big, bombastic ballad that Lea Michele (and Cory Monteith) conquered back in that show’s Season 1 finale. Yes, I speak of “Faithfully”! And while some might predict Jessica and her J.Hud-ian vibrato would be likeliest to go up against “And I Am Telling You…,” it might actually serve as a strongly worded letter from Ms. Cavanagh to the unappreciative judges.

Duets: I’m guessing Jessica and Joshua on “Eternal Flame” (yay! one of my California Dreamin’ suggestions has made the cut!) then Hollie and Phillip on “This Love,” just because the Phillip-Joshua mashup last week was too awkward to be repeated.

What do you think of this week’s set list? And who do you think will sing what? Sound off below, and for all my reality TV recaps and news, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. jen says:

let’s see… Philip will sing whatever is the least vocally challenging.

and then totally not sing the melody.

• Diana says:

Lol, so true. Have You Ever Seen the Rain is one of my favorite old songs, and Philip is by far my least favorite contestant…so this will be interesting. He’d better not screw it up. (He will.)

• Hollie will pick the best song with the best glory notes once again, with You Raise Me Up. I don’t really see any of the other songs as viable closing songs that will so easily connect with the audience. Some other nice songs there but I don’t think any of them have ‘Idol Moment’ potential.

• Ellen says:

Haha! Love it.

• The Voice Inside Tarc's Head says:

You don’t hear the melody because only I can hear his melody! Phillip’s mine! MINE! Rah!!!!!

• Joe says:

Jesus, I’m a total jerk. I wish my mamma tought me better.

2. oh Hollie… I love you but if she’s the one actually singing those songs… gods help her. Those are some uninspired choices on her part if your predictions come true.

3. sidv98 says:

Sorry, but I would bet Jessica goes for “And I’m Telling You..” But Hollie singing it would be interesting, the other choices are so obvious, there’s no drama anymore.

4. Al says:

Volcano is one of my favourite songs of all time and if Philip (because it’ll undoubtedly be him) screw it up I will go cray-cray on his ass… On twitter anyway! :P

5. angelstorm says:

lol Michael you always confuse me with your song choices for them ! I come here with one idea then I leave re-thinking everything ! With regards to Jessica – I thought she might do Etta James for the California theme – but I would actually also like to hear her do “you raised me up” -and I could also see her doing “I can’t make you love me” lol so now I’m all confused about that theme but honestly if Jessica doesn’t do “And I am telling you” for the 2nd theme – then there’s something very wrong . . .

6. steveymacjr says:

I still don’t understand how something can be “leaked” if it is the official American Idol twitter account(and their Facebook account) that is doing the “leaking.” Isn’t this just an announcement?

7. George R says:

ahh, knee jerk Phillip shots, at least be critical without being snide. How do you know what he finds challenging?

8. noa says:

It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World is Elise’s song for the season as far as i’m concerned. will see if they can even come close!

• noa says:

*we’ll see…

• liz says:

My thoughts exactly. Whoever sings it will be compared to Elise!

• MA says:

True, but if the judges do the comparing, the reaction will depend on the contestant: Jessica, Joshua, and Phillip will, no doubt, be told that they made the song their own, sang it better than anyone on this show EVER, and are the best “Man’s World” singers ever to grace our TV sets in the last hundred years…better than James Brown and Joss Stone even. (And, of course, we all know that they are huge fans of Elise.) If it’s Hollie, though, the reaction will be, “Baby, you look beautiful. But you know, Elise sang that song in her final audition and proved she’s a true artist. You, dear girl, are an imposter.”

• noa says:

so true. especially if it’s Joshua. “best version ever!” they’ll say. and my lovely Elise will be watching at home thinking “FU Randy! you once called my version vocal masterclass”. i just can’t imagine any of them singing it better than her or even Juliet. i watched that today for the first time. i stopped watching the voice midway through the season because i was invested in Idol and it was too much for me, but with all the media coverage today after the finale i checked it out. it was really good, but Elise was better.

i don’t think Elise’s name will come up tonight in regards to this song. which will make me mad as well- because she deserves some credit. and if they say that Jessica is replacing Elise again i might scream. Jessica is great. not my taste but she’s fantastic. in NO way is she any kind of replacement for Elise.

• MA says:

Shhh…I thought Elise was better than Juliet too. (But I LOVED Juliet and bought her version; Juliet’s best, in my opinion, was “Roxanne.” Holy smokes!)

• MA says:

She also killed “Oh, Darling,” but that is another show. :)

• noa says:

Oh Darling i saw when i was still watching regularly. i saw Roxanne today as well, because Michael ranked it first. it was fantastic as well. yeah, she’s great. i was impressed. but not enough to watch the season…

• Eric says:

I was so mad that she didn’t choose it for “Then”. Still think it would have bought her some time on the show. Also, gotta agree that Elise owns that song this season; whoever chose it will really have to impress me

• noa says:

maybe if we ever get to see Slezak’s interview with her we’ll find out why the hell she chose Let’s Get It On. i’m sure there plenty pf other songs she could have sung for “then”. any James Brown really- she has performed so many of them before. it could have been an Elise party! but given that she didn’t leave that week, i’m not sure it would have changed anything. to me, her last week was maybe the best she had on the show, and she still got voted off. still sad.

• noa says:

so many typos! to all the editors i see here (i’m talking to you MA :)): English is not my first language, and since i’m not in charge of naming themes for Idol, i think it’s ok that i’m not proofreading, right? this IS the internet…

• MA says:

Yah…you’re doing great. :)

• deedee says:

Just a wild-ass guess at your first language: mah inyanim, noa? Hakol beseder?

[lol, please disregard if you have no f'n clue what I just wrote.]

• noa says:

ken! bediyuk. hakol sababa. veat? :)
            what gave it away? the most common name in Israel maybe?…

• Gabe says:

Yes! Elise owns “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” on Idol for me, and Allison Iraheta owns “I Can’t Make You Love Me”… No one should be touching those songs in my opinion

9. I rather hope Hollie sings “I Can’t Make You Love Me” — I think her voice would be beautiful here. Also hoping Joshua sings “It’s A Man’s World” — well, just because …… yeah, enough said.

10. murders5 says:

More important than figuring out who sings what should be figuring out what to do with the two spare hours I have now that Skylar is gone.

11. bjp says:

If Phillip really does sing ‘Volcano,’ it’ll be the first time I’m actually excited to see him perform.

12. Jay says:

Hollie specifically stated she’s doing two popular songs this week – I’d bet anything she’s doing I Can’t Make You Love Me. I think she has a better vibe for that kind of song than Jessica, anyway.

From the front end, she’ll probably either do Faithfully or You Lift Me Up.

I have no idea who is on the duets. Hollie and Josh are such good friends, I think AI would love to milk that. But, I’d rather hear her an Jessica together on Eternal Flame …

13. MA says:

Wow…with both Elise and Juliet doing “It’s a Man’s, Man’s, Man’s World” on their respective singing shows this year–and both totally owning the song–I’m intrigued to see which of these four will try to show them up. Maybe Joshua? That could be cool, but I’m kind of hoping for Hollie. I wonder is she can pull it off. Also hoping Hollie’s doing Etta James or Dreamgirls, but that seems too good to be true, and I bet she does Groban. Phillip probably got CCR. It’s weeks like this (okay, every week, but still) that I really miss Elise. She could’ve nailed so many of those.
    I don’t think I know “Volcano”…

14. Stacey says:

Except I think they still want a girl to win. And hope to get both Hollie and Jessica into the final 3. So I can see them putting Jacob and Phillip again on the duet on the Maroon 5 track (which is funny given Adam Levine’s slams at Idol) and see if they can torpedo each other yet again. Also the Bangles was a girl group. They might want to show girl power… But then doing boy girl might help the girls more than the boys. Because I am not sure Hollie and Phillip mesh. Unless she goes up with Joshua…

15. Peachhy says:

Phillip has always reminded me of someone but i could place who until now. He is exactly like matt saracan from friday night lights. Omg they are like the same person

16. Kat says:

Don’t get all the hate on Phillip. He is different from the others & that’s a good thing. I hope he wins.

• William Hung would be called different than the other three too. That is the reason for the dislike on the part of some. He is just not at the same talent level and those that don’t care about such pithy things as talent, keep voting him in the top.

• Temperence says:

That is an interesting thing to say. I vote for Phillip and Hollie based on talent, and plan on voting that way again tonight.

17. Fernando says:

“Idol” needs an editor. “Song I wish I wrote” – ugh. That’s the night’s first sour note. “Song I wish I had written” would be correct. But aside from that ode to illiteracy, the song choices are interesting if not exactly daring.

18. holliefan2325 says:

Lol Hollie singing “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going”…Not going home yet, I suppose? :P

19. CandY says:

Id love to hear PP sing Volcano. I hope he can sing this with MINOR growling, just take it slow like he did with TIme of the Season. It’d really stretch his vocals

20. J says:

I’m thinking Hollie does “Faithfully” (YES!!!) and “It’s a Man’s World.”

21. YowzaPowza says:

Jessica will be singing And I’m telling you, Hollie will be doing You Raise Me Up.

22. Petra says:

I’m just surprised anybody is actually still watching this snooze fest.

23. blingedup says:

Dangit. I’m trying so hard to stay invested, and really have just lost interest as I’ve lost my favorites now……

This is the first season that all of my favorites have been gone by this point, and I just can’t make myself care. So unlike me, since I’m such an American Idol nutjob.

This is no fun!

24. eli says:

Steal Away – age appropriate for Jessica it’s about seeing a boy surreptitiously while the parents are asleep cause it has to be kept secret cause the parents don’t approve i don’t think Joshua should sing that haha and Jessica has been vocal how much she admires Etta James will see since Hollie do also sing her music

25. TV fan. says:

I know Fox has to use the airtime but I can not handle two hrs of Idol anymore. When we get to Top 4 I just need one hour and I am happy. Duets just really annoy me. I wish they could just sing one full song and be done with it.

26. Kitty says:

“You Raise Me Up” and “Faithfully”? Really?

I’m just going to say this setlist would be SO much better if we still had Elise and Skylar. Elites and Skoutlaws unite!

• MA says:

Wonder twin powers…ACTIVATE! In the shape of…a badass girl singer!

• noa says:

YES! i’m going to wait and see what you all (and Slezak) think about the show before i actually watch it. i will only watch train-wrecks or amazing performances. i’m afraid of tonight being really boring. i don’t mind a Jessica ballad if it’s followed by Skylar running on the stage.

• Kitty says:

And an Elise scream, right? :-)

• noa says:

you know it! scream, runs, hand singing- all of it would make it worthwhile to watch the show. damn! i was trying to post something without mentioning Elise. but i just can’t. not strong enough…

27. Brigette says:

“Have You Ever Seen the Rain” & “Volcano”= P2; “I Can’t Make You Love Me” and “Faithfully”= Hollie; “You Raise Me Up” and “Man’s World”= Jessica; “Steal Away” and “I’m Telling You I’m Not Going”= Joshua. Whyyyy are they singing “This Love” for one of the duets? Hideous!!! I’m so pumped for “Eternal Flame” though.

28. davey says:

I love Damien Rice’s music but I don’t look forward to hearing P2 butcher it.

29. Lindsey says:

I’d say:

Phillip: CCR and Volcano
    Joshua: Groban and Dreamgirls
    Jessica: Etta James and James Brown
    Hollie: Journey and Bonnie Raitt

30. JD says:

Frankly, I don’t understand why people sit through 3-4 hours of this garbage every week when everyone knows from day 1 that whatever white guy with guitar who is competing is going to win.

31. Quetsal says:

Hollie only needs to beat Phillip tonight to survive to the Top 3, so she needs safe songs that people know and that can showcase her voice. So my guesses for her are “You Raise Me Up” and “I Can’t Make You Love Me”. At least those are what I hope she picked. I saw a YouTube vid of her doing “I Know You Won’t” and I hoped she would pick that as her self choice song…..oh well

32. IdolFan says:

Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” – Phillip
    Etta James’ “Steal Away” – Jessica
    Josh Groban’s “You Raise Me Up” – Joshua
    Journey’s “Faithfully” – Hollie
    “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” (from Dreamgirls) – Jessica
    Bonnie Raitt’s “I Can’t Make You Love Me” – Hollie
    Damien Rice’s “Volcano” – Phillip
    James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” – Joshua

33. Chris says:

I would be overjoyed to hear Jessica nail Etta James’ “Steal Away”

Joshua doing James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” after Juliet’s performance – wow… I dunno :)

Should be a good night!

34. Julie says:

I wish, hope, and pray that Joshua sings “You Raise Me Up.”

• Cip says:

I think he could KILL IT with Etta Jame’s “Steal Away” but somehow I see Jessica singing that : (

35. sarah says:

Etta James’ “Steal Away”: Hollie
    Josh Groban’s “You Raise Me Up”: Philip
    Journey’s “Faithfully”: Jasmine

36. TV fan. says:

Who is Jasmine? LOL

37. Sarrah says:

I not a phil fan but u guys are already all saying he is going to butcher whatever he sings before you’ve heard anything. I hope he does well just so you guys will shut up already and just comment on the people u like not the ones you dont like

38. Music Fan says:

“Have You Ever Seen the Rain” – Phillip
    “Steal Away” – Jessica
    – Toss up –
    “You Raise Me Up” – Joshua or Hollie
    “Faithfully” – Hollie or Joshua

Damien Rice’s “Volcano” – Phillip
    “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” – Jessica
    – Toss up –
    “I Can’t Make You Love Me” – Hollie or Joshua
    “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” – Joshua or Hollie

39. NikkiQM says:

I hope Jessica sings Etta James, it would be fantastic. But I can see Josh doing it too. Hollie always sings the same kinda ballads so Im guessing “Faithfully” and “I Cant Make You Love Me.” Its lucky that Phil is so easy …. “Volcano” and “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” because his singing capabilities are so limited and he can restructure those songs to suit his limitations. I also hope that Jessica sings “Its a Man’s Man’s World” but its more likely she’ll sing “And Im Telling You.”
    I would love to see Jessica and Hollie kill it tonight and I like Joshua also. It’d be great to have an all female top 2, but let’s face it … its NEVER gonna happen.

• FreeHaley says:

Jessica did sing Etta.
      IMO round 1:
      1. Jessica
      2. Hollie
      3. Joshua
      4. Phillip

I liked the girls best this round. Judges loved Joshua, although no O this time, but it was far from my favorite of his.

• FreeHaley says:

Judge’s way over-praised Phillip, especially the first half of the show where he was not so hot.

His Volcano was actually pretty good though, first time he has had a nice one like that in a while. But calling it one of the singular moments of the entire American Idol run since season 1 was over the top, so even when he did quite well, they still over-praised him.

• nikkiqm says:

You are so right. Volcano was the best I’ve heard Phil in a long while but he was over praised.

• Temperence says:

I thought the first song was one of the better of that round, and Volcano was the best of the night.

• Marie says:

I think Jessica didn’t do that Etta James song justice. It sounded nothing like the orginal. In my opinion-first round: 1) Josh 2) Hollie 3) Jess 4) P2

• FreeHaley says:

I thought Josh was pretty weak on that first song, weird stuff he did with it too. Not great.
          He did blow the doors off the place with his second song though.

• nikkiqm says:

Joshua did slay his 2nd song but I did not like his 1st performance at all. But they so over praised his 2nd song that now Jessica has to literally slay a dragon on stage to get any hype out of her pimp spot placement.

40. Jen says:

Why the #6 on Ryan and Stephen’s lapels?

41. FreeHaley says:

The reason the show scks is because Phillip had a weak first performance but they loved it to heck and maybe Hollie’s second song didn’t didn’t allow for quite as many super moments so maybe not THE best choice, so Randy was maybe correct about that, sure, but she did well, way better than they made it sound if maybe not a bring down the house, way better than Phillip on his first song, but they made him sound like the second coming even on his first song (OK Randy did at least mention a weak start but in the end he made it sound way better than Hollie’s second song and it just wasn’t).

Once again it shows Idol up for the sham it is. They never give everyone criticism on an equal basis.

Time to flip channels, catch the rest on computer.

42. Marie says:

Joshua ‘s second performance was AMAZING

43. nikkiqm says:

Jessica slayed it!!!!!!!! She’s the winner to me!

• FreeHaley says:

+1 that was just insane, i had planned to flip channels in disgust over judging and production tricks but then joshua started doing so well on second song and then holy cow jessica

44. FreeHaley says:

Well round two everyone did really well but Jessica and Joshua wow they brought the house down, wow and damn Jessica just rocked that last one like she has never before what a heck of a night for her! Wow, after Joshua it seemed it would be hard for her to finally make use of her pimp spot moment but wow did she ever.

Man Jessica took the night.

Joshua was weak on the first song, fantastic on the second song.

Hollie was great on the first song, very good on the second.

Phillip was quite weak on the first song and very good on the second.

Ridiculous that they judges dissed Hollie once again though and tossed up Phillip’s night as same class as the other two.

R1: Jessica and then Hollie and then a much lower playing field Joshua and then…. Phillip.
    R2: Jessica and then Joshua and then on a different playing field Hollie and Phillp (but still very good, it’s just the other two were lights out and a really amazing lights out).

Overall: Jessica then Joshua and Hollie and then Phillip.

But I just don’t see that being the top three, although it should be.

• Chris says:

I liked Josh’s first performance. It was just a bit subdued compared to his others. No matter what song he sings, he manages to slay it

• FreeHaley says:

I don’t mind subdued, since I think he sometimes could be a bit more subdued than he often is, but I don’t know, he just did some weird things on teh first one and it just came off weird, dry and just didn’t do it at all IMO.

45. FreeHaley says:

Still miss Elise badly but Jessica is really coming into her own wow.

And Joshua had one really good one, Hollie too. Phillip at least made a strong return on his second song but the bar the others set, especially Jessica and Joshua, as strongly as he returned on the second song, I’m just not sure he is there even with his best of the night and best in a while.

Jessica, Elise, Joshua, Hollie would been a nice top four and then the first three for the top three.

• Margeaux says:

I had to mute the TV during Jessica’s second song because her voice was so thin [no chest volume] and screechy. The acoustics in the theater must be very different from what goes out over the airwaves.

• FreeHaley says:

She does have a tiny problem in that her chest voice is a bit thin, I did notice that from the start of the competition, but it’s just enough there that it is ok IMO, it does make her no Whitney Houston though. Anyway that said, I didn’t find it screechy at all and it was hardly THAT thin.

It might be your TV speakers if you thought it was anywhere near so thin you had to mute, most TV speakers are pretty hideous, and some are beyond the pale bad and much worse than even the cheapest, crummy speakers stand alone speakers. Many TV speakers themselves have a very thin sound. I was listening on some $400 Senn headphones hooked into top flight headphone output.

They do say things sound very different in teh theater. It’s so overpowering loud for one, from what I hear.

46. lo says:

Phillip is my favorite.By far. Go Phillip Phillips!!