Fox Cancels Alcatraz and The Finder

Fox giveth and now Fox taketh away.

The network, which just got done picking up five new shows and renewing a sixth (Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch), has axed freshman dramas Alcatraz and The Finder.

The J.J. Abrams thriller and the Bones spinoff both launched at midseason with much fanfare and decent ratings. But those initial numbers didn’t hold. The Finder was eventually banished to Friday nights, which is where it will complete its run this week.

RELATED | Fall TV Scoop: Fox Orders 5 Shows Including Mindy Kaling Comedy, Kevin Bacon Thriller

Fox has also cancelled Breaking In and I Hate My Teenage Daughter.

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

1. Rich says:

Too bad…I loved Alcatraz and esp The Finder. Unique programs that held your interest. I guess I’ll be watching the Fox network less and less. Nice Job Fox!!!

• S. Amon says:

Yeah, I’m pretty fed up with FOX too. I’ll be spending more time on USA where characters (and viewers) are welcome. And TNT since they know drama. FOX just seems to know how to disappoint viewers.

2. Hugo First says:

Maybe if they brought the Neilson rating system out of the dark age and took into account DVR/PVR stats they might not cancel so many promising original shows. I mean honestly what is the point in watching any new shows when over half of them don’t even get a fair run – by the time you invest in the characters they are gone.

3. Christine Dix says:

FOX cancels good shows. Arrested Development, Anyone?

4. Makinbacon says:

Shame on Fox for cancelling this. Didn’t finish the season and the ratings dropped? of course thats a good reason to cancel. I will miss this one…

5. Batgirl1979 says:

Now that @FOXBroadcasting has ended House they should pair @BONESonFOX with @TheFinderonFOX & #SaveTheFinder from cancellation! Sign the Petition, closing in on 11,000 signatures and send a map. Head over to Save The Finder page and find out how you can let FOX know they are making a grave mistake!

6. Sarah says:

Fox is stupid then. The Finder was great! I love that show. Why would they get rid of it? Bring it back please. It was bad enough when the dropped Lie To Me. That show was awesome too. There are so many crappy shows out there, and when a few decent shows do turn up, I get hooked and then they get canceled.

• Trev says:

Exactly that. I’m 14 years old and there is something you’ve got me hooked on.. now you took it away!

7. aerocephalic says:

The Finder and Alcatraz were 2 of my favorite shows! There have got to be factors in analyzing whether a show should be renewed that are not being considered. I sincerely hope another network picks them up or Fox reconsiders it’s once again grave mistake!

8. EMMA JANE GRIST says:

Please reconsider We,r in England and theres loads of fans of Alcatraze here please please please dont take it away my Tues nites is wat i luves same as lost!!!!!!!!!!!!

• badchaka says:

FOX CAN TAKE THE WHOLE LINEUP AND SHOVE IT UP THERE CORN CRACKER. “BONES”
      BOOTH AND BRENEN SHOULD NEVER HAVE HOOKED UP!! SHOW SUCKS NOW.FRINGE JUST GOT STUPID “MUST BE RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS “SHOW HAS ALREADY RUN IT’S CORSE. ” GLEE “WELL THAT SHOW SUCKS.ANOYING PUSSY TEACHER AND LOSER KIDS THAT LIP SYNCE. “TOUCH” GOD COULDN’T HELP THIS SHOW!! MONO TONE LEAD ACTOR AND MUTE KID.”REALY WHERE IS THIS SHOW EVER GOING TO GO ????” L.O.L.

• Ken says:

It is quite obvious that you are a sad pathetic looser in life,so a word of advise,take your ignoramus,negative self and find a corner or basement and crawl into.This forum needs intelligent comments for or against a show, not idiotic,rambling like yours, especially about Fringe,a show i know is way above your rather limited intelligent.

9. Vickie says:

Well I just found out that FOX cancelled the Finder. The one show that my kids and I actually watch together. Why???? It was such a good show!! Well that just ruined my day!!

10. Velvet says:

I actually did like the Finder and am sorry to see it go. FOX SUCKS

11. michael rothgeb says:

freaking Firefly all over again.

12. Lena says:

I love alcatraz!!!! I was looking forward to season two! So sad

13. Shenise says:

Too bad Fox Broadcasting doesn’t have people on staff that actually care about the viewers. I NEVER watch reality TV and for some reason they think that is all the viewers ever watch. Since they have cancelled the Finder there is no reason for me to watch FOX TV at all. Switching back over to CBS and NBC they have less reality crap.

14. AP says:

Yea! Fox pretty much sux as keeping good shows.

15. AP says:

Hey Fox! Reality TV sux! Keep good shows like “The Finder” instead of the other crap.

16. Kim says:

I loved Alcatraz. It was really getting good and they cancel it. I guess it’s time for another “talent” show because there isn’t enough of them out there….ugh

17. Dave says:

I won’t be watching Fox anymore. They always seem to keep the crap and get rid of the good stuff. I will hide the fox channel in my cable box.

18. Dick Johnson says:

Still no excuse. Listen to the people now. It was an excellent show. As usual the brain deads cancel the good and keep the lame IE glee sucks!

19. kailanie says:

Bring back the finder that was the best show.. Come on the finder characters are funny and my whole family. Renew the show

20. Natalie says:

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

I really enjoyed this show! :(

21. katie says:

I am beyond upset about Alcatraz!!! I don’t get the chance to follow very many tv series, but huband and I tuned in every week when the kids went to bed. So interesting and fun to follow. I thought the story line was fabulous and switching back from the 60s to present day with a new inmate to understand was intreging and mysterious. I really am disappointed. Seems like they did not ask the right panel about cancelling this show. Us house moms love it!!!

22. jill says:

Love Alcatraz! Looked forward to it every week.Please reconsider.

23. Kristin says:

I am really upset they took Alcatraz off the air. Why is it when a good show comes on, they cancel it. Who are they asking.

24. Nancy says:

I can’t believe that the Finder and Alcatraz were both cancelled!! It is getting harder and harder to find good TV shows out there and I thought these two were awesome. What is it with the networks and all these reality TV shows? They Suck!! Some of us viewers do have brains and like to use them!!!!!!!! Can we petition to save any of these??????

• Tracy says:

I agree with Nancy comments. I actually like some reality shows like Survivor and Top Chef but they’re getting crazier and crazier. It’s like they’re aimed at the Jerry Springer crowd more and more. And we have shows like Alcatraz and The Finder (which was my favorite new show last season) get cancelled. The Finder was one of those rare shows the whole family watched together and enjoyed. Not much on TV for families to look forward to lately.

25. claudia says:

this is not fair,people were getting into the t.v show and fox cancells it.if you were going to cancell it you shouldnt have aired it on.i say YOU BRING IT BACK ON.if this keeps happening to other t.v shows,nobady will wach fox ever again.BRING ALCATARAZ BACK ON!!!!!!WHOS WITH ME???!!!!!!!!!

26. Holly Smith says:

I too was totally disappointed to learn of the cancellation. It was the first show I have followed in years. I believe they axe shows way too early…let the fan base build first! Shame on you Fox!!!

27. Ray from Adelaide says:

Such a shame progammes like this get canned. Kind of makes it pointless to commit to watching any series because no matter how much you like and watch it some ‘bean-counter’ will kill it the moment the numbers don’t add up.
    I know TV is a business but where is their loyalty ?
    More re-runs in the pipeline and dumbarse reality shows.

28. Jennifer M says:

So sad to see the news today that Michael Clarke Duncan died. But I’m wondering if that has something to do with Fox cancelling The Finder, because I can’t imagine anyone playing his part.

29. Melinda Martin says:

I hate that you cancelled Alcatraz. Great show! If you want to cancel a crap show, you have plenty others to choose from. Leave the good ones alone.

30. Alan mercier says:

I’ve just come to this conclussion….FOX SUCKS! To cancel a show like Alcatraz that had a big following is just wrong. Just like the show The Finder which by the way fox Rocked! just plain sucks. Now a show Like Fringe is in it’s final season, that too sucks the big one. Hey Fox your keeping all the wrong Shows and cancelling all the good ones so you suck and I’m not ganna watch you anymore. I’ll wait until fringe comes out on DVD first. I’ll never watch Fox again!!!!!!

31. Kim garrett says:

Finally a great and different show! They cancel this one, really! That’s such a mistake,our a whole family enjoys this and encourages my teenage boys to look up the history of the inmates. Its a unfortunate they too will miss it.

32. Sandra says:

disappointed that there will be no more finder, great programme

33. im mad says:

what was behind that god damn door??????

34. Rob Sherman says:

It figures..Fox loves all those gay shows like Glee (they should have titled it GAYS) and American Idol. Maybe TNT will pick up “Alcatraz.” They’re willing to gamble.

35. jon says:

please dont cancelled alcatraz i like it
    if that cancelled i and mohammad hossei are die!!!!!!!!!!

36. Sam Rowso says:

Fringe has more plots holes than Swiss cheese. I find myself constantly wondering why they can do something one episode but that tech doesn’t seem to exist later on. Very flawed storyline.

37. Wuzzywen says:

I am disappointed Alcatraz has been dropped, shame we will never find out why and how and who 😢😢😢

38. panda says:

that really pissed me off i really love that show, but then they make room for stupid shows

39. Graeme Bell says:

JUST LIKE HARSH REALM BEFORE FOX CANCEL ALCATRAZ ANOTHER TOP NOTCH SHOW SHAME ON THEM.

40. skilz says:

As it is said, “All good things must come to an End!” Pitty!

41. Lynda Durr says:

Please bring back Alcatraz, that show was Great!! Fox always canceled good shows, why is That!! :-(

42. Mark Bradshaw says:

Really is to bad, this was a great show with an original premise that was picking up steam. They should’ve given it a chance to get legs

43. i hate this… why this tv show cancelled?

44. Walterine says:

I want my finder back!!!! :-(
    It was one of the best shows ever! Even more better than bones!!!!
    Walter is such a lovely and funny guy, why did they just cancelled it????
    I guess there are quite a lot people that would really love to watch it again!!!!
    If it was just for “another Leo” (besides I’m soo sorry for Michael :-( ), there would be a way to rewrite the story. I’m sure about that.
    I know that it was because of less viewers, but I really can’t believe it.

That-alactra-thing, I didn’t even hear a single word about that show. So I can’t say.

But I was completly shocked when I read that the finder is not going to find more things….:-( I’m still pretty upset about it.

Walter was like Patrick Jane from the mentalist. You can’t just cancel him, you just can’t!

Fox, if you read this, I am desperatly begging you: I want my finder back!!!!!!
    :-(

• Lynda Durr says:

I want Alcatraz back on the air. Every episode was great. Shame on FOX!!

• you can bet, it's no crap! says:

yeah shame on fox, but they actually don’t mind if what we want. more important for them is to make more and more money, never mind how stupid the movies are that they show, never mind how great those are that they cancel.
        that really is a shame and a d… pitty!

• Don't wanna bother anyone, but... says:

yes, I guess that’s true, although it truly is a …. shame.
          Besides, it is funny somehow too.
          Because, if they don’t mind us and what we want (and they clearly don’t), I’m wondering how they want to produce or at least show shows which are sucessful.
          I always thought sucess also depends on viewers, but I know now, it doesn’t, but is just all about them. Good to know. :)