Fox Cancels Alcatraz and The Finder

Get More: Cancellations, News

Fox giveth and now Fox taketh away.

The network, which just got done picking up five new shows and renewing a sixth (Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch), has axed freshman dramas Alcatraz and The Finder.

The J.J. Abrams thriller and the Bones spinoff both launched at midseason with much fanfare and decent ratings. But those initial numbers didn’t hold. The Finder was eventually banished to Friday nights, which is where it will complete its run this week.

RELATED | Fall TV Scoop: Fox Orders 5 Shows Including Mindy Kaling Comedy, Kevin Bacon Thriller

Fox has also cancelled Breaking In and I Hate My Teenage Daughter.

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

Comments (338)

• Too bad…I loved Alcatraz and esp The Finder. Unique programs that held your interest. I guess I’ll be watching the Fox network less and less. Nice Job Fox!!!

Comment by Rich – May 21, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I’m pretty fed up with FOX too. I’ll be spending more time on USA where characters (and viewers) are welcome. And TNT since they know drama. FOX just seems to know how to disappoint viewers.

Comment by S. Amon – May 21, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I second your comments!!!

Comment by aerocephalic – June 4, 2012 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe if they brought the Neilson rating system out of the dark age and took into account DVR/PVR stats they might not cancel so many promising original shows. I mean honestly what is the point in watching any new shows when over half of them don’t even get a fair run – by the time you invest in the characters they are gone.

Comment by Hugo First – May 21, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOX cancels good shows. Arrested Development, Anyone?

Comment by Christine Dix – May 22, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame on Fox for cancelling this. Didn’t finish the season and the ratings dropped? of course thats a good reason to cancel. I will miss this one…

Comment by Makinbacon – May 22, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that @FOXBroadcasting has ended House they should pair @BONESonFOX with @TheFinderonFOX & #SaveTheFinder from cancellation! Sign the Petition, closing in on 11,000 signatures and send a map. Head over to Save The Finder page and find out how you can let FOX know they are making a grave mistake!

Comment by Batgirl1979 – May 23, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox is stupid then. The Finder was great! I love that show. Why would they get rid of it? Bring it back please. It was bad enough when the dropped Lie To Me. That show was awesome too. There are so many crappy shows out there, and when a few decent shows do turn up, I get hooked and then they get canceled.

Comment by Sarah – May 24, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly that. I’m 14 years old and there is something you’ve got me hooked on.. now you took it away!

Comment by Trev – June 5, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Finder and Alcatraz were 2 of my favorite shows! There have got to be factors in analyzing whether a show should be renewed that are not being considered. I sincerely hope another network picks them up or Fox reconsiders it’s once again grave mistake!

Comment by aerocephalic – June 4, 2012 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please reconsider We,r in England and theres loads of fans of Alcatraze here please please please dont take it away my Tues nites is wat i luves same as lost!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by EMMA JANE GRIST – June 6, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FOX CAN TAKE THE WHOLE LINEUP AND SHOVE IT UP THERE CORN CRACKER. “BONES”
      BOOTH AND BRENEN SHOULD NEVER HAVE HOOKED UP!! SHOW SUCKS NOW.FRINGE JUST GOT STUPID “MUST BE RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS “SHOW HAS ALREADY RUN IT’S CORSE. ” GLEE “WELL THAT SHOW SUCKS.ANOYING PUSSY TEACHER AND LOSER KIDS THAT LIP SYNCE. “TOUCH” GOD COULDN’T HELP THIS SHOW!! MONO TONE LEAD ACTOR AND MUTE KID.”REALY WHERE IS THIS SHOW EVER GOING TO GO ????” L.O.L.

Comment by badchaka – June 6, 2012 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It is quite obvious that you are a sad pathetic looser in life,so a word of advise,take your ignoramus,negative self and find a corner or basement and crawl into.This forum needs intelligent comments for or against a show, not idiotic,rambling like yours, especially about Fringe,a show i know is way above your rather limited intelligent.

Comment by Ken – June 7, 2012 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I just found out that FOX cancelled the Finder. The one show that my kids and I actually watch together. Why???? It was such a good show!! Well that just ruined my day!!

Comment by Vickie – June 11, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually did like the Finder and am sorry to see it go. FOX SUCKS

Comment by Velvet – June 12, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • freaking Firefly all over again.

Comment by michael rothgeb – June 14, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love alcatraz!!!! I was looking forward to season two! So sad

Comment by Lena – June 18, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad Fox Broadcasting doesn’t have people on staff that actually care about the viewers. I NEVER watch reality TV and for some reason they think that is all the viewers ever watch. Since they have cancelled the Finder there is no reason for me to watch FOX TV at all. Switching back over to CBS and NBC they have less reality crap.

Comment by Shenise – July 2, 2012 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea! Fox pretty much sux as keeping good shows.

Comment by AP – July 7, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Fox! Reality TV sux! Keep good shows like “The Finder” instead of the other crap.

Comment by AP – July 7, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Alcatraz. It was really getting good and they cancel it. I guess it’s time for another “talent” show because there isn’t enough of them out there….ugh

Comment by Kim – July 24, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t be watching Fox anymore. They always seem to keep the crap and get rid of the good stuff. I will hide the fox channel in my cable box.

Comment by Dave – July 29, 2012 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still no excuse. Listen to the people now. It was an excellent show. As usual the brain deads cancel the good and keep the lame IE glee sucks!

Comment by Dick Johnson – July 30, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back the finder that was the best show.. Come on the finder characters are funny and my whole family. Renew the show

Comment by kailanie – August 10, 2012 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

I really enjoyed this show! :(

Comment by Natalie – August 10, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am beyond upset about Alcatraz!!! I don’t get the chance to follow very many tv series, but huband and I tuned in every week when the kids went to bed. So interesting and fun to follow. I thought the story line was fabulous and switching back from the 60s to present day with a new inmate to understand was intreging and mysterious. I really am disappointed. Seems like they did not ask the right panel about cancelling this show. Us house moms love it!!!

Comment by katie – August 11, 2012 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Alcatraz! Looked forward to it every week.Please reconsider.

Comment by jill – August 20, 2012 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really upset they took Alcatraz off the air. Why is it when a good show comes on, they cancel it. Who are they asking.

Comment by Kristin – August 22, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that the Finder and Alcatraz were both cancelled!! It is getting harder and harder to find good TV shows out there and I thought these two were awesome. What is it with the networks and all these reality TV shows? They Suck!! Some of us viewers do have brains and like to use them!!!!!!!! Can we petition to save any of these??????

Comment by Nancy – August 27, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Nancy comments. I actually like some reality shows like Survivor and Top Chef but they’re getting crazier and crazier. It’s like they’re aimed at the Jerry Springer crowd more and more. And we have shows like Alcatraz and The Finder (which was my favorite new show last season) get cancelled. The Finder was one of those rare shows the whole family watched together and enjoyed. Not much on TV for families to look forward to lately.

Comment by Tracy – August 27, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is not fair,people were getting into the t.v show and fox cancells it.if you were going to cancell it you shouldnt have aired it on.i say YOU BRING IT BACK ON.if this keeps happening to other t.v shows,nobady will wach fox ever again.BRING ALCATARAZ BACK ON!!!!!!WHOS WITH ME???!!!!!!!!!

Comment by claudia – August 28, 2012 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too was totally disappointed to learn of the cancellation. It was the first show I have followed in years. I believe they axe shows way too early…let the fan base build first! Shame on you Fox!!!

Comment by Holly Smith – September 2, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a shame progammes like this get canned. Kind of makes it pointless to commit to watching any series because no matter how much you like and watch it some ‘bean-counter’ will kill it the moment the numbers don’t add up.
    I know TV is a business but where is their loyalty ?
    More re-runs in the pipeline and dumbarse reality shows.

Comment by Ray from Adelaide – September 3, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to see the news today that Michael Clarke Duncan died. But I’m wondering if that has something to do with Fox cancelling The Finder, because I can’t imagine anyone playing his part.

Comment by Jennifer M – September 3, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What, they foresaw his death?? It was cancelled in May, he had a heart attack in July…

Comment by David Adams – September 4, 2012 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That doesn’t mean he wasn’t having health problems before the heart attack that prevented him from working on the show.

Comment by Jennifer M – September 4, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate that you cancelled Alcatraz. Great show! If you want to cancel a crap show, you have plenty others to choose from. Leave the good ones alone.

Comment by Melinda Martin – September 7, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve just come to this conclussion….FOX SUCKS! To cancel a show like Alcatraz that had a big following is just wrong. Just like the show The Finder which by the way fox Rocked! just plain sucks. Now a show Like Fringe is in it’s final season, that too sucks the big one. Hey Fox your keeping all the wrong Shows and cancelling all the good ones so you suck and I’m not ganna watch you anymore. I’ll wait until fringe comes out on DVD first. I’ll never watch Fox again!!!!!!

Comment by Alan mercier – September 7, 2012 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally a great and different show! They cancel this one, really! That’s such a mistake,our a whole family enjoys this and encourages my teenage boys to look up the history of the inmates. Its a unfortunate they too will miss it.

Comment by Kim garrett – September 12, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • disappointed that there will be no more finder, great programme

Comment by Sandra – September 14, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what was behind that god damn door??????

Comment by im mad – September 16, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It figures..Fox loves all those gay shows like Glee (they should have titled it GAYS) and American Idol. Maybe TNT will pick up “Alcatraz.” They’re willing to gamble.

Comment by Rob Sherman – September 16, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please dont cancelled alcatraz i like it
    if that cancelled i and mohammad hossei are die!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by jon – September 19, 2012 01:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe has more plots holes than Swiss cheese. I find myself constantly wondering why they can do something one episode but that tech doesn’t seem to exist later on. Very flawed storyline.

Comment by Sam Rowso – October 1, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am disappointed Alcatraz has been dropped, shame we will never find out why and how and who 😢😢😢

Comment by Wuzzywen – October 4, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that really pissed me off i really love that show, but then they make room for stupid shows

Comment by panda – November 15, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JUST LIKE HARSH REALM BEFORE FOX CANCEL ALCATRAZ ANOTHER TOP NOTCH SHOW SHAME ON THEM.

Comment by Graeme Bell – November 22, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As it is said, “All good things must come to an End!” Pitty!

Comment by skilz – November 24, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring back Alcatraz, that show was Great!! Fox always canceled good shows, why is That!! :-(

Comment by Lynda Durr – November 25, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really is to bad, this was a great show with an original premise that was picking up steam. They should’ve given it a chance to get legs

Comment by Mark Bradshaw – December 14, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hate this… why this tv show cancelled?

Comment by Ibn_Fajri (@Ibn_Fajri) – January 6, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want my finder back!!!! :-(
    It was one of the best shows ever! Even more better than bones!!!!
    Walter is such a lovely and funny guy, why did they just cancelled it????
    I guess there are quite a lot people that would really love to watch it again!!!!
    If it was just for “another Leo” (besides I’m soo sorry for Michael :-( ), there would be a way to rewrite the story. I’m sure about that.
    I know that it was because of less viewers, but I really can’t believe it.

That-alactra-thing, I didn’t even hear a single word about that show. So I can’t say.

But I was completly shocked when I read that the finder is not going to find more things….:-( I’m still pretty upset about it.

Walter was like Patrick Jane from the mentalist. You can’t just cancel him, you just can’t!

Fox, if you read this, I am desperatly begging you: I want my finder back!!!!!! :-(

Comment by Walterine – February 26, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want Alcatraz back on the air. Every episode was great. Shame on FOX!!

Comment by Lynda Durr – February 26, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah shame on fox, but they actually don’t mind if what we want. more important for them is to make more and more money, never mind how stupid the movies are that they show, never mind how great those are that they cancel.
        that really is a shame and a d… pitty!

Comment by you can bet, it's no crap! – March 1, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yes, I guess that’s true, although it truly is a …. shame.
          Besides, it is funny somehow too.
          Because, if they don’t mind us and what we want (and they clearly don’t), I’m wondering how they want to produce or at least show shows which are sucessful.
          I always thought sucess also depends on viewers, but I know now, it doesn’t, but is just all about them. Good to know. :)

Comment by Don't wanna bother anyone, but... – June 1, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post