Fox Cancels Alcatraz and The Finder

Fox giveth and now Fox taketh away.

The network, which just got done picking up five new shows and renewing a sixth (Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch), has axed freshman dramas Alcatraz and The Finder.

The J.J. Abrams thriller and the Bones spinoff both launched at midseason with much fanfare and decent ratings. But those initial numbers didn’t hold. The Finder was eventually banished to Friday nights, which is where it will complete its run this week.

RELATED | Fall TV Scoop: Fox Orders 5 Shows Including Mindy Kaling Comedy, Kevin Bacon Thriller

Fox has also cancelled Breaking In and I Hate My Teenage Daughter.

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

1. Nan says:

NOOOOO, I love Alcatraz, we have it on VOD here….I knew that this won’t last as this was my favorite (well, behind Castle anyway). Watched the Finder and liked it, Cannot stand Touch – it is boring and I really tried to give it a chance, FOX sucks!

2. chris says:

This is so awful! Both shows were great! Maybe another cable network will pick up Alcatraz…like syfy..it would be better than the wrestling show they have on there!
    Warehouse 13, Haven and Alcatraz..gotta see tv!

3. Mikael says:

I agree about giving new shows something of a chance. The first half of Fringe Season 1 wasn’t nearly as strong as the 2nd half and the following seasons. Imagine if Fox had pulled the plug after 13 episodes? We’d never have gotten the greatness that is seasons 2-4 (and I’m assuming 5 will be too!) Anyway, I think with Alcatraz alot of people were hoping for the next Lost, and it wasn’t. But from what I hear, it was starting to hit its stride, so I think Fox could have given it another 13 episodes or so to prove itself. I can’t hate too much on Fox because they gave Fringe a final season and they also gave Dollhouse a 2nd season and enough notice to wrap up its complex plot.

4. alex italy says:

I don’t understand how the americans watch the stupid series as jersey shore,beverly hills 90210 etc etc…and then cancelled series as “alcatraz”,heroes,fallin skies etc etc….the americans are stupid as the series?

5. Boiler says:

Until people start watching all the reality crap, regardless of network, I would guess new shows don’t stand alot of chance if they start poorly. In todays environment Frielnds would have lasted one year. It would also help if sights like these quit writing about the reality crap. America continues to dumb down.

6. Rachel says:

Very disappointed that Alcatraz was cancelled. It was one of my favorite new shows. Very entertaining.

7. wolfenstein says:

I’m so sad about Breaking In!

8. ddrizz says:

Meh. Alcatraz had undelivered promise. This might be simplistic, but the miscast Sarah Jones probably had a lot to do with the declining ratings. It was definitely not must see TV.

9. angelstorm says:

Aww that’s sad – I really liked Alcatraz – I think it had so much further to go and the Finder was just a fun show to watch. *sigh* oh well – lol it’s a good thing I don’t bother to get too attached to shows any more !!

10. Marie says:

This really sucks because we really liked Alcatraz and the Finder….Alcatraz could’ve used a little tweeking but we still really liked it and we love watching the Finder

11. Daniel says:

Bite me fox!!!!! Alcatraz was the first drama I watch on your network since x files you have to cancel it. I’ll go back to cbs and watch my criminal minds and csi.

12. jennygirl says:

Aww I really liked The Finder! That sucks.
    I can’t stomach Bones anymore, and haven’t for the past few seasons. Never liked Alcatraz. And Touch…sorry Kiefer but I’m tired of you yelling Jake.

13. Lucy Cantor says:

FOX sucks! I’m still angry about The Chicago Code being cancelled!

14. Tracy says:

The Finder was the best new show on this season. Great family show with a quirkiness that was fun and endearing. Cast dynamics was excellent. Loved everything about the show. My family will miss watching it together. It was the only show we all liked.

• Pugs says:

Here! Here! The Finder was a much-loved quirky-but-fun show with a great cast. Our family will miss it tremendously. Maybe it will be picked up by USA or SyFy—-please!!! At least cable networks give new shows a fitting chance instead of axing them before they have a chance to develop. Note to Networks: Reality shows are yesterday’s story and we aren’t watching. How about giving quality shows that all members of a family watch a sporting chance?? I would bet that at least one member of that watching family would pay attention to your advertisers.

15. Melissa says:

Completely bummed about Alcatraz! I liked The Finder, but I’m not heartbroken over it. Sooooo peeved about Alcatraz though. The show was going towards a whole new twist and they left things on a cliff-hanger! Please J.J. Abrams – Do something to wrap this up! Another network, comic, movie, even just a run-down of what was going to come, anything to wrap up the Alcatraz mystery for us!

16. Sorry and Mad that FOX cancel Alcatraz, the show took it’s time but the last episodes were really good. I also like the fact that they took time to build the characters relationships.
    I Love the cast and Love Sarah Jones has Rebecca, and finally a female cop with the right shoes, I’m tired of seeing them running in high heels.

17. Emily says:

My husband and I liked The Finder from the very first episode. Boo, Fox!

18. Nyki says:

I can see Alcatraz continuing on TNT and The Finder continuing on USA. So let’s make it happen.

19. Gota finish the last episode of Alcatraz, can’t believe they’ve cancelled it :(

20. Ronald says:

Touch is getting boring… Kiefer Sutherland is an awful actor – just the way he talks is enough to put you off the show. I wonder if there is a drinking game where every time he says “Jake” you have a shot of something – you’d be drunk pretty quickly.

21. jimled says:

Have we’re all a chance to see second season of Alcatraz by other network company?

22. aurore says:

Didn’t really watch either, but does this mean we can have Lie to me back?
    xD

23. Annie says:

We really liked Alcatraz and were looking forward to S2 …why do they always cancel the good one and keep all the crap reality shows .

24. Pugs says:

Why do studios give us great interesting shows with great casts drawing us in and enticing us to watch each week only to cancel and not give the show a chance???? My family loved The Finder and we are all determined to cancel Fox from our TV entertainment. Since watching the cable networks is so much more rewarding than the regular networks, we can only hope that a cable picks up The Finder. Please!!!!

25. Kerry says:

I can’t believe Fox canceled The Finder… That was one of the few shows I really liked… Fox sucks… especially since they keep the stupid cartoons and cancel good shows like the Finder… I mean Bones has pretty much run its course and the finder was a great spinoff…

• Foxisthelamestsexcuseofanetworkandipittyeveryshowthatsignson says:

Agreed. Fox has it’s head so far up it’s behind that it doesn’t have the first clue of what people actually want. It clings to ratings when the Internet tells the tale of what people like on TV. FOX makes the mistake of pretending that its own lameness in programming choices and fatalistic clinging to old systems is an indicator of what is good television. ANY TV show that makes more money than it costs should keep going. But all that the short nosed, stubbed tailed FOX network sees is the rating system. Instead of embracing the Internet and allowing shows like the Finder to go on (to make them money) they get rid of it in favor of something new in an attempt to make more money.

Stupid… short sighted… silly old television network dims…

26. There is a petition to try and get Alcatraz picked up elsewhere. Please sign if so motivated.

27. Jamie says:

I am not happy with FOX for cancelling The Finder and Alcatraz. I loved them both. I just saw the last Finder last night and was sadly disappointed the way they ended it. For being a high-spirited show with all of Walt’s quirkiness, they certainly depressed the heck out of its viewers! Come to think of it, infuriated is more like it! Bad form FOX for not giving this show more of a chance and blacklisting it!

28. Scott Jeffress says:

PLEASE FOX…PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE…Bring the Finder back. I was such a good spinoff from Bones. I am such a Bones fan and The Fidner was a natural extension of Bones with great story lines and cast. I believe you are making a BIG MISTAKE and you’re making me not want to watch Bones anymore. My wife and I are very disappointed!!! Shame on you FOX ;'(

29. Kevin says:

The Finder Finale was briliant an frustrating and well paces. It was a sad ending to a show taht deserved much better than FOX putting it on friday ( which immediately halved the ratings) and Run the remaining eps out of order. SOMEBODY PLEASE PICK THIS SHOW UP.

30. Darnae Carlisel says:

I liked Alcatraz. It was one of the better shows. You left all these stupid realtie shows that suck. Missing is good. secret circle is great A gifted man was great.

31. Colleen S says:

After watching the Finder finale I am very disappointed not knowing what happens next.
    Thanks Fox for screwing this up.

32. Jesse Reid says:

please dont cancel the Finder please!

33. JBee says:

I’m done tuning into Fox. They are managed terribly. Rather than find a suitable time slot for a solid show like The Finder to thrive they sign deals for new shows that will undoubtedly be cancelled after their first seasons. I really do hope that a cable network picks this show up and gives it the long run it deserves.

34. Christian says:

With each passing episode The Finder got better and better. The finale was awesome and I am kinda crushed that there won’t be a second season to find out what happens to these characters. This show would have been a perfect fit for USA. “Characters Welcome,” Apparently not on FOX.

35. Snacklady says:

With Alcattaz gone. I have no reason to watch Fox or support their advertisers😰😰😰😰

36. David says:

The Finder had an amazing storyline and a new twist on things. It was cancelled because people fear things that are new to them. They couldn’t handle the fact that for once, things aren’t always so systematic. For once, there was a show in which the main character isn’t excessively smart or a drug addicted doctor. For once, there was a show that doesn’t revolve around singing or dancing. For once, there was a show in which the main character figured his way through problems in a weird way rather than picking the obvious trail. I’m tired of seeing shows and realizing who the bad guy is before everyone, or figuring out what’s going to happen before the twenty minute mark. The Finder produced interesting twists and surprises and was a great show loved by many people. The fact that Fox ruined yet another good thing pisses me off. I can name a few shows that they ruined. I’m sure most of you can too. But we can add The Finder on my list of shows right next to Lie to Me. I’m really hoping that Fox suffers for these cancellations and that Walter finds a new network.

• lexy says:

I so agree with you. Why ruin a awesome thing they had going on. Walter Sherman kicks butt and his mind set totally wicked in an awesome way. I’m going to miss Walter.

37. Dana says:

I loved both of them this sucks.

38. joseph says:

SYFY should pickup The Finder it’s a geeky science show

39. lexy says:

Wow really.screw that I will take watching the finder over touch anyday. Don’t get me wrong I like touch but Walter Sherman AWESOME TOTALLY AWESOME. WHY WHY WHY WHY MY DAUGHTER AND HUSBAND LOVE SITTING DOWN AND WATCHING THE FINDER. PLEASE PLEASE FOX WITH CHERRIES ON TOP BRING THE FINDER BACK. I love love love love that show. :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

40. ROWL says:

Alcatraz was horribad. The writing just plain sucked, and they really needed a police consultant on staff – some basic police procedures 101 for the actors and writers would have made the show great… like not giving up your weapon which the main char did 3 times in the first 3 episodes, or pulling your aim on a bad guy but not lowering your weapon on a kid hostage, and lets not forget the great picking up evidence without gloves and handing it to comic-book guy.

Finder suffered from the usual Fox idiocy, messed up the order of airing from the order of production. Killed the continuity.

41. Tasia says:

Alcatraz was awesome how could they just cut it off but I kind of expected the finder, breaking in, and especially I hate my teenage daughter to get canceled but not alcatraz it was freaking awesome .

42. KA says:

Ahhhhhrrrgggg
    Loved where this show was going and now I’ll never know!!!

43. Carlos says:

wth! Fox you cancel everything good!!

44. phcist says:

Well, I will not be watching Fox. For the last two years, they have pulled the plug on shows that I watched (Lie to Me, Human Target, The Chicago Code, Alcatraz, Terra Nova). Seems they do not want to invest in a show if there isn’t instant ratings. How many shows, over the years, took some time to find an audience? Fox seems to have forgotten, or does not care.

45. lou says:

Well in England alcatraz is on its 10th episode, I was gutted to read yday that its been cancelled. So in 3wks time we just get left on a cliffhanger! Touch is okish but so samey! Alcatraz had way more potential. I don’t really watch touch anymore most episodes revolve around that kid running away and dad chasing him! Its time he got tied down coz he makes me dizzy!

46. Dave says:

The Finder was great WTH are they thinking?

47. Hester Monk says:

There is a ‘Save The Finder’ campaign going on at USA Network. Go to USA Network on facebook and put in your request to help this effort.

• Evelyn says:

Thanks for the info. We were hoping for something like this and what better network than USA. They have the best shows and leave them for us to watch…even the older generation. I do not want to be mixed in with the “new normal”
      Love USA…NBC and Fox take a hike. Won’t even watch the news on these stations anymore. The weather, can get from my phone now.

48. adc says:

Disappointed, but not surprised… The Finder was just the kind of quirky fun show that never seems to get much traction. Seems like if a show doesn’t fit into a into a homogenized genre, it doesn’t pull enough ratings and it gets canned. Oh well, at least there are some good cable series.

49. Foxblows says:

Ok Fox, you suck. I stopped watching all your shows years ago till the Finder, it was a fun creative show, not a spinoff as ppl call it but it was fun. Again my dial will not turn to Fux networks. Who does the ratings because every show you keep all my friends hate. Your system of reviewing shows is antiquated and needs to be cancelled.let the viewers decide.

Keep the Finder, give it a chance, great cast and chemistry, keep bones out of it, that show is tired old and pretentious. Glee is totally a joke and immoral, Americal idol is another joke. Boycot Fox

50. Suni says:

Well Crap! I really liked The Finder! I never watched 24, Alcatraz, Fringe, or Touch. I watched ONE episode of House and hated it! I do not watch, nor do I allow my children to watch, Glee. I do watch Bones but it is becoming more soap opera and less crime drama. The Finder was one of those shows that you could watch without having to wait for the kids to go to bed! I think fox producers/writers should take lessons from NCIS, CSI, and Hawaii 5-0 because those shows are GREAT!

• Suni says:

I also quit watching American Idol two seasons ago. Same thing…different ppl! If they get new judges and revamp the show then I MIGHT watch it again, otherwise I will continue to tune in to TNT and USA…forget FOX!