The Voice Season 2 Finale Recap: And the Winner Is... [Updated]

jermaine paulSeason 2 of The Voice may have been a little coaches-centric for my taste, but Tuesday’s two-hour telecast was — and I say this with no sarcasm whatsoever — structured more perfectly than any reality-competition finale I’ve ever seen. Oh, sure, there were a few awkward moments where the Top 4 were painfully grafted onto performances by big-name artists with products or tours to promote — Juliet with Flo Rida? Tony, Jermaine, and Chris relegated to undetectable backup for Hall & Oates? — but their “victory lap” ditties allowed them to bring back fallen comrades in a celebration of the weeks and months of music that preceded the crowning of a successor to Vicci Martinez, er, Dia Frampton, er, Javier Colon. (Sorry, I always get that messed up in my fantasies. But seriously, check out Vicci’s terrific new single, “Come Along,” on iTunes!)

PHOTOS | The Voice: 13 Best Performances of Season 2!

And not only did we get to bask once more in the vocal stylings of Jamar Rogers, Katrina Parker, Lindsey Pavao,  Erin Willett, Jordis Unga, James Massone, Pip, and RaeLynn, but there was also a totally awesome bathroom break thanks to a live performance of Justin Bieber’s “Boyfriend.” (I kid! I kid! Not really.) (Also: I just typed the words “Justin Bieber’s ‘Boyfriend.'” Heh-heh.) Plus, Christina Milian brought enough (new word alert!) imbecilism from the Sprint Lounge that I was able to release every last bit of fury and stress that built up over the course of the season. (Jamie Lono, never forget!)

RELATED | The Voice Performance Finale Recap: The Agony and the Xtina [Updated]

Anyhow, before we get to the results, let’s dish the evening’s musical performances:

Jermaine Paul (with Jamar Rogers, James Massone, and Pip), the Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back” | Proof that one need not reinvent the wheel to offer up a satisfying musical performance. Still, was I the only one who thought Jamar shone brightest on this number? (Side note: Christina Milian’s post-performance quote, presented without comment: “Make sure, by the way, we want everything trending because I’m sure you guys are trending right now.”)

Flo Rida and Juliet Simms, “Whistle”/”Wild Ones” | Somehow I suspect Juliet’s post-Voice career won’t include lyrics like “if I took you home/it’d be a home run” and/or “I want to shut down the club with you.” But gamely she tried on these bouncy club jams. (Side note: Christina Milian’s ridiculousness during her Flo Rida interview, presented without comment: “We’re wearing leather together. He likes me!”)

Chris Mann (with Lindsey Pavao and Katrina Parker), the Verve’s “Bitter Sweet Symphony” | I’ve got to admit, this is the first non-classical performance by Chris that I found totally believable. Katrina matched him with power and pitch-perfection, too, and while Lindsey’s wispier tone wasn’t an obvious fit with the two power vocalists, she certainly held her own in the evening’s best musical moment. (Nope, not even those aggressive Swaybots could ruin it for me.)

Hall & Oates (with Chris Mann, Jermaine Paul, and Tony Lucca), “Rich Girl” | Was it me, or did Mr. Hall seem to lose steam/interest as the lounge-y arrangement of the song went on. Maybe if he’d let The Voice‘s three male finalists sing a lead line or two, the whole thing wouldn’t have devolved into such a drowsy, beige affair?

Kim Yarbrough, Naia Kete, Sera Hill, and Cheesa, Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” | Okay, so it wasn’t startlingly original, and there was the occasional wonky note and dropped phrase. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing these B-level contestants get one more moment in the spotlight, and that stank-face exchange between Kim and Sera was a hoot and a holler. I just wondered why Ashley de la Rosa didn’t wind up in the mix along with ‘em.

Juliet Simms (with Erin Willett, RaeLynn, and Jamar Rogers), the Beatles’/Joe Cocker’s “With a Little Help From My Friends” | That hug between Jamar and Juliet at the end was awfully sweet, no? And while the sound mix got a little wonky on Erin and RaeLynn’s verse, I have to say Juliet’s banshee wailing on the final chorus more than made up for any prior deficiencies.

Tony Lucca and Jordis Unga, Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way” | On paper, I was as excited about this duo tackling such a rousing ’70s anthem as I would be ordering a Panini for lunch. (Mmmm. Panini.) Alas, in practice, the sandwich was charred and disappointing on both sides. Not a great final impression for a pair of vocalists capable of better.

A few other thoughts on the telecast…

* Cee Lo’s t-shirt — bearing the names of all of each and every one of his team members (even Erin Martin!) — was an above-and-beyond show of affection from a coach to his contestants that’s pretty rare anywhere on reality TV. I won’t lie: I dig this very strange man, even if he needs to up his game in song selection and actionable feedback during The Voice‘s off season.

* Blake Shelton on Purrrfect the Cat: “It has pooped in my seat before. I hate it.”

And now, the results…

4th Place
Chris Mann (And I thought this was Jermaine Paul’s spot for sure!)

Side Note
Xtina, you forgot your pants! Again!

3rd Place
Tony Lucca (If TVLine had an office pool, I’d have definitely finished last)

2nd Place
Juliet Simms (Argh! Lady rockers just can’t catch a break!)

“The Voice”
Jermaine Paul (¡?!) (Yes, that’s a word now, too.)

Um, Jermaine Paul? Well, he seems like a nice guy, and his joyous, emotional breakdown made for good TV, I suppose, but I’d rank his win as perhaps the most bizarre outcome in the history of reality singing competitions. I seriously thought Alicia Keys’ former backup singer would be an automatic ouster after a deplorable cover of “Living on a Prayer” during the first live performance show, and his subsequent overwrought renditions of “Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now),” “Open Arms,” and “I Believe I Can Fly” didn’t do much to make him look like a winner in my eyes, either. As my Twitter follower @mcdeallover wondered, “I think Carson had the results card upside down.”

Ah well, maybe it was just the power of coach Blake Shelton’s quiet charisma at work. Or maybe America was hungry for a pop-R&B singer not afraid to crush whatever ballad comes his way with an anvil of melisma, vibrato, and holleration.

What did you think of The Voice season finale? Shocked as I am that Jermaine pulled off a win — even after giving us a good idea what male childbirth might sound like during “I Believe I Can Fly”? If not Jermaine, who should’ve taken the whole ball of wax in Season 2? Sound off in the comments! And for all my reality TV news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Paramour says:

Tony Lucci should have never been in the final. I guess name dropping “Mickey” gets an edge.

2. Paramour says:

Oh yeah, someone should tell Christina that sparkly diapers are not en vogue this season.

3. kris says:

I am glad that Jermaine won! I will not be watching again. I can no longer listen to Christina. Can’t stand her attitude. She is rude and mouthy!

4. YowzaPowza says:

Absurd, ridiculous, moronic, completely unexpected. He didn’t deserve the win at all. I totally thought Juliet and Tony would have been top two. But hey, if black men can’t win American Idol, maybe The Voice is their way to go. Said it.

5. MA says:

Are we really surprised Jermaine won? I haven’t watched the whole season, but started a few weeks ago. It seemed like he had it in the bag. But maybe he wasn’t as popular early on?? In any case, I was rooting for Juliet, so bummer…but yay for second place. That’s still pretty dang good!

6. kansas city says:

Seriously… I was part of team Juliet. But I have to admit that I fall more in love with Blake Shelton every episode, and I was happy for Blake that his team won. Knowing that he still works with Dia and seeing how much he genuinely cares for his team members makes him a very awesome person and for that alone Blake deserved this.

• Paramour says:

I agree…Blake is the best judge…this is why he keeps winning.

• Mary B says:

I totally agree Blake is by far the most caring coach. He was wonderful with Dia last year. iI wanted them to win so bad and they should have.

• FreeHaley says:

He does seem to really go the extra, extra mile supporting them long term, his top contestant at the least. I think Cee Lo may be pretty good that way too, if maybe not quite, quite as much, yet.

7. samantha says:

i’m just glad christina finished last…

8. V says:

I don’t watch this show but over the last few weeks I have seen pictures, articles, comments and videos of every contestant in the final 4 on various websites EXCEPT for the actual person that won. lol.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah it is true and weird. And I think he is the only one of the 4 to only have 1 song in top 200 of iTunes. Maybe the Jermaine voters were all 100% Jermaine and the other voters did a touch of vote splitting? It seemd the whole crazy thing of last night made some people say they were tossing a ‘spare’ vote or two to Chris or Tony and it seemed like not so many Jermaine fans mentioned stuff like that. In fact, I didn’t see too many posting, maybe they all vote with every phone in the house instead, the country set Blake brings in are used to mad voting on Idol.

That said Jermaine had a solid night last night and I didn’t get Slezak always giving him D or F at all. That said though Juliet just rocked the house. How does someone who does that, gets all the press, etc. STILL not win! Even with the cold she still shoulda taken it!

It just means all these shows are doomed, you’ll never get anyone but a plain sort of winner again, ever I guess.

9. FreeHaley says:

It probably is true that it will be ever harder for anyone not cookie-cutter to win, as more and more get disgruntled and stop watching or stop voting sicne they think it is all hopeless it becomes more hopeless and then that feeds back and it just spirals until no Elise, no Hayley, no Allison, no Juliet, not even an Adam, etc. can ever win.
    I know all my friends who used to vote for people like that have given up already.

• noa says:

i think they can’t win already. but i’m really afraid for the day they stop making it even a little bit far. i guess i’ll stop watching then? sad…

10. FreeHaley says:

At least he was far from my least favorite, which is a little something hah.
    He did have a nice night certainly.

11. Carly says:

Does this forshadow a P2 and Joshua finale?

Groan @ holleration :(

• Marie says:

If there is a God, it does.

• Tiff says:

THIS.

I’m a Joshua fan, and I’m not a Jermaine fan. The two of them are very different – Joshua has a spectacular, interesting voice, and he knows how to pull out the runs and the melisma to accentuate the feeling in the song. Joshua makes GOOD CHOICES.

Jermaine seems to put runs in just so he can distinguish himself. It’s a different talent. Also, his song choice is boring and his voice doesn’t feel superstar-ish to me.

• Name That Tune says:

I’m hoping we see a trend here – the passing of the WGWG fad.
      I’ve been seeing a P2/Joshua finale for about 3 weeks.

12. Belle says:

Slezak, I love you. Just thought you should know.

• Renee says:

Me too! Thanks Michael for the full Voice coverage. You’ve really hung with us Voicers the last few thankless weeks:). And hugs to your husband who seems to live with all this lunacy like a very good sport (and has some of my fav lines per your reporting) Could he be on Idology someday – or maybe sit in for Jason via screen comments at least?)

• darcy's evil twin says:

I second this post. Please thank your husband for me for sitting through this awful program so you could write your recaps.
        My own husband had quite a bit of musical training in his youth and enjoys “Idol” with me, but “The Voice” is just more than the law will allow for him, even though he’s a big Blake Shelton/country fan.

13. Ruby says:

I am really tired of deserving women never winning these things in favor of an attractive man. This was so far out of left field I felt like I was in an alternative universe when Jermaine’s name was announced. I didn’t actually expect Juliet to win, even though she deserved it, because of all the caterwalling teenies who vote for these shows, but I was pretty sure Tony Lucca in all his blandness was going to take it, since people seem to have some inexplicable hard-on for him. Looks like the petty feud lost him some votes. Also, I literally, LITERALLY did take a bathroom break during Beiber, and I’m not joking at all. :)

• Mary B says:

I really don’t believe Jermaine winning had anything to do with him being attractive. I think the emtional display he showed in the lounge may have given him a few new votes. He was so sincere and showed how much it meant to him. He just came off as such a nice sensitive guy. With all the stuff between Adam and Xtina he was a breath of fresh air plus having Bake as a coach didn’t hurt.

• FreeHaley says:

Although attractive didn’t hurt, on some other forums I see quite a few girls raving about his body etc. and then adding oh and an awesome voice too hah.

• FreeHaley says:

But he did have one of the best behind the scenes looks the other day and his most on night.

Juliet came across more loveable tonight than her edit last night, not that she came across badly then, but every bit helps and she had more pull tonight when it was too late.

When it gets down to final week or two some people tend to forget the past entirely which also hurt Juliet. (although i still thought her solo at the end was best of night and it seemed to get the most bring down the house cheers of all, although jermaine seemed to go over well on his solo and duet, if maybe a touch less so, but more for his duet than juliet)

• Tiff says:

I fastforwarded through Bieber. I tried to listen, and I couldn’t. But then, I also fastforwarded through Lady Antebellum, and practically fell asleep at Hall & Oates.

14. Jo says:

Awesome. Another Voice winner who won’t sell any albums.

15. matt says:

Jermaine won? Barf bucket please

16. chelle says:

I truly believe that Adam and Christina ruined Tony and Chris’s chances.

Oh well no one would have been a superstar anyway. It’s just not that kind of program.

17. Lois Benton says:

Jermaine was the most consistent of the singers and has the most objectively fine singing voice. His style apparently doesn’t work for you. Most of his performances have been good, but nothing to write home about. And I hate the song “I Believe I Can Fly”. But he was far and away the best last night (and “Soul Man” was the best performance of the night altogether) and I voted for him. And I’ve only voted a few times this season. Jermaine being on Team Blake was a big plus too. I thought for sure that Team Cee Lo would win, since Cee Lo had the best Team, but the songs, the songs–urgh. And Juliet was sick, which was too bad, but it led her off pitch. Can’t take first being off pitch.

• Tarc says:

I don’t agree in the slightest that Jermaine has “the most objectively fine singing voice”. He’s awful.

• Lois Benton says:

Perhaps I should have put it “the most technically proficient,” because no one disagrees with that. But music is all about what you like. Juliet was fabulous–on “Oh, Darlin'”, “Roxanne” and astounding on “It’s a Man’s World”. But the rest of the time, she was all over the place, off-pitch and just either outright bad or boring. You could say Jermaine was boring (he was consistent!), but at least he sung well. Tony was the best performer, but the show is not called “the performer” and the repeated snipes to Christina (once is enough; that’s all she lobbed at you) negated any good feeling about his performance. And 99 Problems was fun, but it was still “99 Problems” and it wasn’t original anyway. Chris Mann… Well. Boring and I, maybe he, couldn’t figure out what the heck he was doing. Classical light? Pop? A weird mixture all in the same song?

• Lois, I pretty much agree with you, especially about Juliette. My problem is not with her howling ability, but with her little wobbly-waif voice. As for Chris, they kept touting him as a classically-trained opera singer, and though he may be trained, he really didn’t use much of a real opera voice. As a fan of opera, I do know a bit of what I speak of on this one. I only heard a glimpse of a real opera voice one time in the middle of Ave Maria and then he pulled back out into his pop-voice. I think Chris will be another Josh Grobin if he takes off after the show.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah but consistently OK is actually a death spell for an artist. Amazingly awesome with a few flame outs works 10000x times better for an artist.

18. crystal says:

Who ever wrote this article can suck it ! COME ON DUDE YOUR THE ONE WHO LIKED LINDSEY and she was horrible ! Theres a reason why the guy the won did i mean he was alicia keys back up singer for a reason why because he had a VOICE ! not just taking threw a song like lindsey so ya u need better taste in music

19. RM says:

With everyone competing against a team member until the finals, no one has a clue as to who is the favorite except for the producers. Obviously, Jermaine had peeps. That means Chis Mann’s teammate Lindsey Paveo likely fared poorly in the combined vote counts. The iTunes ranking is bogus, since no one seems to actually buy music from the contestants. Javier Colon had a little bit less than 10000 units in first week sales. It does make the show interesting. With all four of last season’s signed contestants failing spectacularly in record sales, will Universal Republic be desperate enough to sign more than the winner this time? The likely candidates with record deals are Tony Lucca, Lindsay Paveo, and Raelynn.

20. Lynn says:

I think Christina was doing that commercial where they ask the celebrity to where the adult diapers “Depends” under their pants…. Xtina put on the diapers, but forgot to put her pants back on!

21. Tim says:

Jermaine now stands alongside other The Voice winners like whatshisname.

• Tarc says:

It was amusing that I couldn’t remember last yer’s winner’s name, and when he came out and sang, I knew why. Of course, I remembered Dia Frampton and Xenia – both of whom have charting singles right now.

• It seems to me that the real “winners” of these shows are actually the runners up. They are then sought after by producers and get to ink their own deals, whereas the show-winner is usually stuck dealing with show-contracts and little real control. Compare Melanie Amaro in her Elton John commercial, to runner-up Josh Krajik who is now working on his own material.

22. Finding a lot of these comments pretty funny.
    At least you’re all passionate.

Still to watch the last ep, but I gotta say that on Monday’s Christina had me almost switching off she was such a cow.

She doesn’t like Tony. We get it. What was she on about trying to say his song wasn’t appropriate when his family were there. (as Adam pointed out, it’s a metaphor!)
    He should have retorted saying that her dress sense was inappropriate for all the kids watching.

There are a lot of things to enjoy about the show, but IMO the two Christina’s need to go as they are ruining it.
    One with lack of talent and one with her “me me me” attitude & being a mean b*tch.
    You don’t see any of the other coaches being out & out mean to anyone, just her.

Personally, going by Monday alone, Tony was top banana.
    99 Problems was rocking, Yesterday was terrific & the Maroon 5 track was decent as well.
    For Jermaine, he was completely generic sounding, like too many other artists about.
    Still very talented, but not for me.
    Juliet seemed to be drowned out by the band on every one of her performances, and I don’t rate Sylar at all.

• matt says:

Disagree. This show would be unbearably boring without Christina Aguilera and her outspokenness and sometimes thoughtful comments, which is more than what the other judges contribute. Also who are we going to count on to wear sparkly diapers to the finale if she’s not there lol

• Tarc says:

I wouldn’t miss Christina’s inapproppriate comments, her trying to constantly put down contestants from other teams, and her often vulgar booby show. I mean, who designs her tops – Fredericks of Hollywood? Tacky.

• Has she ever bothered to LOOK at her own butt in those trunks she wears? It looks HUGE. I don’t care who you are, unless you’re on stage performing, you probably chose regular shorts or pants, they are much more flattering.

• matt says:

I just don’t want to look at sexy, smart looking people all the time. Sometimes I want to see ridiculous fashion disasters too, it’s more interesting

• Okay, Matt, you have an excellent point about fashion disasters being interesting. :-)

23. angelstorm says:

lol are you kidding me ? Jermaine won ? What ? *sigh* Juliet is still my winner.

24. oliver says:

Xtina had more chances of winning if she kept Jesse Campbell, who i think was the best in her team. I never liked juliet sims but i admire he vocal prowess. I never liked jermaine either, he is way too proud for me. I was routing for Katrina Parker, then Adam came and screwed her up. But anyway congrats on the winner and on the runners up.

25. Juan says:

To be honest, Blake winning is the only upside, period.
    Doesn’t he just look adorable when he’s all happy? ><
    I can watch him point at himself and make terrible jokes all day.

But yeah, Tony should have won, after Jamar got axed last week and Juliet continued her subtle downward slope.

26. Juan says:

Does anyone else think Xtina’s comments about “99 Problems” affected the Lucca vote?

27. Yo' says:

That was actually a lovely finale. I have no idea how Jermaine won, but he was so overjoyed I got goosies. Okay, I even puddled; that was a nice ending for softies; I just hope this proves to be the career boost anticipated. Nice music entertainment two hours, except for the Biebs.

28. behzad says:

I hope Christina and Adam realize that their feud hurt their contestants’ chances! They better play nice next season!

• Marie says:

You are giving Christina too much credit. I don’t think she has the insight to realize how her foolish behaviour can have a negative impact on her team members. Her ego overshadows all rational thinking. And while Adam strkes me as a bit smarter, he just lets Christina’s behaviour bring out the worst in him and ultimately, he ends up almost stooping to her level. Either way, not a good combination and not good for their team members

29. If it were possible, I’d post a video of Dr Who asking “What?” on infinite loop. This is the wrong order.

30. noa says:

i think Blake’s awesome tweets in the last few days won Jermaine the competition. seriously, take a look at the amazing pimping he did. all the other mentors should learn from him. it was HILARIOUS. hey, if this season was about the mentors and not the contestants anyway, then Blake sure is a deserving winner :)

31. Becka says:

Juliet got robbed but I take comfort in the fact that after her being on this show, there is NO way she doesn’t come away from this without a record contract. She’s too good NOT to give her one. So it may not be the one the Voice offered…it doesn’t really matter. She deserves it.

Yeah, not impressed with Jermaine.

32. darcy's evil twin says:

This program is called “The Voice”, when it should be called “Here are Four Famous People from the Music Industry acting ridiculous, saying ridiculous things, and competing for the camera – Oh, and by the way there are some folks singing over here that are trying to launch a music career”.
    I’m going to admit up front that I haven’t watched The Voice religiously. I’ve read the recaps. I enjoy the blind auditions but the battle rounds were just too painful to endure, not to mention the judges. How Blake Shelton tolerates this nonsense is beyond me – it must like being in the eye of a hurricane, where you can’t see the chaos that’s swirling around you. I can’t believe Miranda Lambert hasn’t shown up with her shotgun and taken out Xtina’s ridiculous wardrobe and snotty attitude, not to mention Cee-Lo’s cat (why is a CAT on a singing show?). I honestly don’t think they could find 12 people that would convict Lambert of any type of crime, and that includes discharging a firearm in the city limits.

Do I think Jermaine should have won? Heck, I didn’t think he would last from the first moment he landed on Blake’s team because he seemed so arrogant to me. “The Voice” doesn’t seem to give the contestants a misleading edit like “Idol”. My money would have been on Tony Lucca, even though I liked Juliet. Chris Mann is from my area so that was a huge news story. But I find it amusing that people are complaining that another bald, black guy won. And those of you that follow Idol know why. :-)

33. Greg says:

its okay, its not the like we ever hear about the winner of the voice ever again. the show is all about the judges, no one actually cares about the singers when it ends.

34. Doug says:

Utterly shocked by the result. I like Jermaine in principle, and after the blind auditions I figured he’d be a front-runner, but so many others outshined him that it seemed like he was the odd-man-in in this final four. Tony had the No. 4 iTunes song; Chris and Juliet were in the top 12. Jermaine was lagging at No. 15, and his song last week barely had an iTunes pulse. So either Alicia Keys pulled some serious strings, or Jermaine’s fanbase is great for dialing and texting, but too cheap to buy an iTunes track. I’m happy for the guy, but I’m really scratching my head, trying to figure out how this happened.

• TinyTim says:

At the results when they had Juliet and Jermaine together it looked like Juliet thought she had this won. She was more shocked than we were, lol.

35. Lola says:

I think that Chris M. and Tony D. were basically let down by their coaches. No one found the drama cute or interesting. It made everyone uncomfortable and their contestants suffered for it. Between the two left — Juliet and Jermaine, I know the interwebz loves Juliet, and she probably gets a sizeable amount of the younger vote, but anyone I’ve spoken to over the age of about 40 thinks her singing sounds like “yelling”, “screaming” or “howling” or even “screeching”. I think that’s why Jermaine won. The younger voters went toward Juliet, but lost some to Chris and Tony, and Jermaine got literally every vote from someone over 40. Also, people love Blake, so there’s that too; and Cee Lo was annoying people with his tweets. The coach’s personality really matters in all this. I still say the show has to dump Christina. She just makes the whole thing uncomfortable and the coaches can’t even work well enough together to sing together at this point. Dump her. There’s like, 80 ex-number 1 pop stars who could do her job better — Gwen Stefani, Fergie, Mandy Moore, Colbie Callait, Robyn, Leona Lewis, Dido, Natasha Bedingfield, Nelly Furtado, Amy Lee, Alicia Keyes, Alanis Morrisette, Pink — hell, at this point, bring on Miley Cyrus.

• Name That Tune says:

Ok, but would they just become Paula Abdul or JLo lookalikes. Xtina has opinions, and when she’s talking about singing, she’s spot on. But her rivalry with Adam isn’t helping her. “Course, he’s just as immature as she is, and he contributes literally nothing in his critiques. He’s just the cute white guy on the left.

• FreeHaley says:

I wonder about that though, shouldn’t people over 40 be MORE used to rock, 80s, 70s, late 60s rock and not at all be shocked by her style?

36. RD says:

I just think Blake won this-not Jermaine.He comes across as such a nice guy and I really believe this influenced the outcome.

37. Scout says:

Oh Xtina… A bedazzled diaper. Really? You are entirely to cute for that. Anyway, thanks for providing the most entertaining part of the show – and thanks to your stylist.

38. Cdc226 says:

Hey weren’t the judges supposed to perform together at the finale? I swear Carson had said something about that on Monday night…

39. Carrie says:

While idol may have a record of crowning a white guy year after year, perhaps The Voice is attempting to be counter programming and thus the bald man of color will take it. If we get a three-peat next season y’all know I’m onto something.

Christina Aguilera should never wear a bedazzled diaper again – it was awful and she really needs someone on her team to tell her the truth about her appearnace. At some point did all female pop stars receive a memo co-authored by Madonna and Gaga that outlaws pants?!?!?!?! Yet another reason to worship at the Adele altar. It’s ironic that she called out Tony Lucca for singing lyrics that were derogatory to women while she continues to perpetuate the myth that talent ia not enough for women to succeed in the entertainment business. Love her voice, hate the hypocracy!

40. LL300 says:

It’s a good thing I am no longer invested in any singing reality show so it becomes either enjoyable to watch or boring to watch and if the person who wins is not someone I would have picked…I just don’t really care. I have my opinions as you will see, but seriously…I don’t care to the point I cared that Kris Allen won S.8. That contest I was invested in and since it still seems 19 and RCA are making it a contest I still care. But as for The Voice…thus saying my mouth hung open for a while when they announced Jermaine Paul, whom I thought should definitely stay a back up singer, won. During the group number, I thought Jamar, James AND Pip were better than Jermaine. I couldn’t believe Pip’s falsetto.

I thought Chris Mann would be fourth and with apologies to Chris, I’m glad because it served nasty Xtina right. And THAT is why I had hoped Tony got to second place. And by the way, as a woman, I find Xtina’s dress or lack thereof, offensive. She herself always dressing like a woman who walks on 8th Ave, is derogatory.

I FF’d the B list singers. I thought that Darryl Hall needs to go to a vocal coach and that the three guys did admirable back up…all they did was a few do wops of a sort.

Now…I was so looking forward to Jordis and Tony went up in my book for bringing her back. I didn’t think they were bad, but there was too much musical production going on in the background drowning out both their vocals. I still haven’t forgiven Blake for what he did, but then again, IMO, Blake has terrible taste in picking people. Hated Dia. Don’t like Jermain. Erin was his best bet after Jordiss left.

So for the last two nights, Juliet Sims didn’t sound too good but I heard she was ill. Honestly, I thought she should have won, with Tony in second place, then Jermain or Chris…either way.

Last year’s Top 4, from what it looked like when they came back, all had record contracts EXCEPT 4th placer Beverly. But then again she was Xtina’s pick so maybe after The Voice, Xtina can’t be bothered. Poor Chris. Of course Chris is better looking than Beverly so maybe Xtina will help him.

41. I think Juliette could have taken the whole thing, but for me, she spent way too much time in her little wobbly-waif voice during her final songs. The girl has a voice to rival Janice Joplin, but she either hasn’t learned how to put more power behind the quieter lyrics, or she likes the wobbly-waif voice, I’m not sure which. Even though her last few songs ended in the glory of her total power-house voice, the contrast between the two styles, just doesn’t work for me. I had such hope for her…

• TinyTim says:

She said she has never had a vocal coach, that may have cost her the Voice.

• TINYTIM, I totally agree. In the end, it may have been her lack of training that kept her from taking the prize. Although, as I said in another reply, the runners-up are the ones who really end up in the best position for careers. I think Juliette has a very bright future ahead of her.

42. Rod says:

Tony was done in by the Jay-Z song and the Adam and Christina rivalry. Chris was a casualty of the rivalry as well. The public will not vote for bad behavior at the end of a competition. It’s good for the competition but at the end, the majority will go for classier acts with no drama behind the scenes.

43. Kristin says:

Jamar should have won! Juliet wasn’t great on Monday…she kind of sank in quality for me while I enjoyed the other three contestants on Monday more than I have in the past. I think Juliet just peaked too soon with Roxanne, which was her best performance.

44. bigtuna21 says:

You liked that rendition of Bittersweet Symphony? You might be deaf

45. Jamar -> Jermaine says:

Jermaine’s win is actually Jamar’s win. After Jamar went down, his voters voted Jermaine. Plus, Jermaine picked up any casual voters based on his finals performance.

• Rachel says:

I don’t think so – at least, everyone I know stuck with Team Cee Lo and went from Jamar to Juliet.

46. Alienate says:

Are you kidding me, Michael? My daughter and I thought last nite’s show was the most mind numbing crap we can remember. Not one song was “get up and holler” good.
    Bad songs, worse arrangements, craptacular guest songs. One hour in, we almost cheated and went to the web to see who won without having to bear any more torture.
    I will never sit thru 2 hours of stink like that again.

BTW… I voted for Juliette all season….. Sure hope she picks up a contract.

47. TiaGata says:

People actually still watch this show…

It was too hard to remember the contestants. Anyway, I will probably watch the auditions and battle round again next season, but I won’t watch the shows once they go “live”.

48. kevin podgorski says:

EVERYONE is going to be singing that damn I believe I can fly song! X factor Melanie won with that song, this guy won with that song. Please end the tragedy!

49. Rachel says:

¡?! – MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY. I, too, would have lost my office pool. Thank goodness we didn’t have one! I do wish Juliet had won, but I’m glad Adam and Christina’s teams lost. I loved Chris Mann, but the drama was tooooo much.

50. Nicole says:

Really? JP? WTF! Not to worry. As I have learned with singing shows, the people whio win dont actually win. It’s the runners up who actually win. On AI, there are only a slight few of the actual winners who have actually made it big…