Fall TV Scoop: NBC Picks Up Anne Heche-Fronted Comedy Save Me to Series

Anne Heche Save MeNBC is getting a jump on “upfront” week by picking up the Anne Heche-fronted comedy pilot Save Me to series.

The spiritually tinged sitcom — which received a 13-episode order — finds the former Men in Trees actress playing a woman who, after an accident, believes she is channeling God.

Heche, of course, famously recounted her history with mental illness — including having an alter ego named Celestia whom she believed was the reincarnation of God — in her 2003 memoir, Call Me Crazy.

Save Me is the second Peacock pilot to get the green light for fall. Last month, the network picked up the Matthew Perry comedy Go On.

NBC will formally unveil its fall schedule to advertisers next Monday.

1. George says:

The fact that NBC has already picked up two comedies has me a little worried for some there “bubble” comedies (Up All Night, Community, maybe even 30 Rock)

• Superhero says:

Up All Night is likely gone. Whitney as well, according to Deadline. Highly doubt the other two are; Community needs one more season to reach syndication (and the rights have already been sold to Comedy Central, which only increases its chances) and 30 Rock will likely get one final season to wrap things up.

2. kyle says:

Cue the upset religious people

• heather_kaye says:

Religious person, but not upset. Can I set for this cue?

Although I will say I’m mildly surprised that a network picked this up; based on the description (and a lack of any other knowledge), it sounds much more cable than mainstream. Also, I think it will be interesting to see how they balance religious fervency with mental illness – while it could be a great conversation starter, it could also explode very quickly.

3. Polly says:

And here’s the first canceled show of the next season.

4. So I see Anne Heche has moved on from Aliens to God…

I really hope they keep the bubble shows. I can’t believe they brought this crap on lol

5. Chris says:

She is bat crap crazy anyway…So this should be the perfect role for her…Sounds STUPID!!!

6. amy says:

God I’m really worried about Community.

7. Chris says:

Wasn’t a fan of hers when she was on Men in Trees – but there is definitely something intriguing about the storyline here. Hopefully it can be something that catches viwers attention. NBC has kinda been lacking on that ploy lately

8. Ken says:

Well Chelsea prayed to Vodka, so will “save me”really be challenged by religious groups

9. Rebecca says:

I love Anne Heche, crazy and all. So, I’ll definitely check this out, but NBC MUST renew Community. That isn’t a request. Expect locust and pestilence if it is canceled, God knows your address NBC.

10. Sg.Grant says:

Alright I’ll go ahead and set the over/under at 6 1/2 episodes. Let the betting begin.

• Superhero says:

Under. I just don’t see this being accessible enough to reach a wide audience, even if it does end up being good. This seems more like the kind of show that Greenblatt would’ve picked up at Showtime. It might’ve been successful there, but he needs to take a different approach on broadcast television. Thankfully, some of his other pilots sound decent – certainly better than this year’s crop – and there may very well be a hit (by NBC’s standards) or two among them. But I don’t think this will be one of them.

11. sarah says:

So they pick up this show but will cancel Bent which actually was funny!

12. daviduter says:

Heche is all kinds of fail. This show has no shot. Absolutely none.

13. Cana says:

All i want to know is if Parks and rec gets renewed today. That’s the one show that i really want renewed. As well as the rest of the Thursday bubble. Although if the office gets canceled i would not mind, but its Thursdays hit show. Its also the highest rated show on Thursday so they might bring it back. I just think its better for the office if they just end it. Also NBC should advertise parks and rec now. They should try to make it the new hit. Its the best show on the lineup. But if the office get canceled than 30 would be the show NBC advertise the show with the most seniority. Although NBC should put more money into parks and rec. That is also a show that more people should be watching

14. So long as Community and Parks and Rec come back, I’ll be happy. This doesn’t really sound like my cup of tea, and doesn’t exactly scream “comedy,” either. But hey, if it’s an improvement over Are You There, Chelsea…

15. Bella says:

I like Anne Heche, but don’t know about this storyline. I’m religious, but that’s not the issue for me. Johnny Lee Miller (I think that’s his name), had a similar plot a few years ago. He was a lawyer. And I liked that series a lot but I think it got canceled in its second season.

16. Joseph says:

Why do you guys feel a need to crap on everything NBC does. The reason why some of their shows aren’t doing good right out of the gate, is because some of you expect their shows to be bad (Why? I don’t know) without even watching it. Who thought Castle would do good or that Big Bang Theory would be good. Let the first impressions of these shows on air determine whether or not you want to attack it before you judge it without seeing what the show is really like?

• Annie says:

So, is the head of NBC your dad or something? Maybe the shows aren’t doing well right off the bat because they suck right off the bat

• Ben says:

I agree Joseph. NBC may be my favourite network at the moment, I think. Shows like Chuck, Parks & Recreation and Parenthood have remained among my very favourites while others beat on the network. I’m looking forward to Revolution and Matt Perry’s new show. Plus I can see why others like many of NBC’s other comedies. I’ll take the unique things NBC does over some of the cut and paste franchises you see elsewhere any day. To me, the quality of NBC is as good as it’s ever been – I sometimes wonder how Seinfeld, Friends and the West Wing would fare if they debuted today.

Having said that, this isn’t a knock on other networks, which all produce shows I really enjoy as well. ABC, CBS and Fox have all in the last few years brought me some of my favourite shows of all time. I’m just not sure why people are always putting the knock on NBC.

This is coming from the perspective, too, of someone not in America – NBC’s shows, along with other networks, all get mixed up here as every channel buys the shows it wants to from all four of the networks. So I have to go based on the quality of the how, rather than judge from the network its on (which I usually only find out later).

17. svufan says:

I hope they get rid of SVU. The show has really gone downhill this year.

18. Britta Unfiltered says:

Maybe I’m just cranky because of the news that Community and Parks and Rec might get “abbreviated” seasons, but I am getting seriously pissed looking at NBC’s new comedies that they’ve picked up and have no intention of watching any of them. Particularly this one. I do not care for Anne Heche, I have never found her to be funny. I think I could have liked Hung better if she hadn’t been in it as she annoys the crap out of me.

19. Excellent blog you have here.. It’s hard to find excellent writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate people like you! Take care!!

20. Kathleen Sharkey says:

I think SAVE ME sounds intriguing! Can’t wait to see it! Not religious here, but definitely spiritual! Come on; don’t we need something uplifting? Once we don’t believe in having a Senior Partner that we can consult with as life goes on……….what’s the point? KVS

21. This page really has all of the information I wanted about this subject
    and didn’t know who to ask.