Ratings: Housewives Up, Harry's Law Down, Amazing Race and GCB Finales Flat

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

Desperate Housewives‘ penultimate episode ever drew 9.3 million total viewers on Sunday — its second-largest audience of this goodbye season — while scoring a 2.8 demo rating. That led its hour and represented week-to-week gains of 16 and 12 percent, with the demo hitting a 17-week high.

The night’s other gainers were The Amazing Race (9.4 mil/2.6), up in the demo versus last week and flat with its year-ago finale, and lead-out NYC 22 (6.9 mil/1.3) which inched up a tenth in the demo.

Sunday’s steepest percentage drop was felt by bubble show Harry’s Law (7.5 mil/0.7), which was down 12 percent (or a tenth) in the demo.

RELATED | 2012 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

Elsewhere….

* All of Fox’s ‘toons were down a smidgen, save for American Dad (which returned up 15 percent in the demo).

* Bookending Housewives, ABC’s penultimate Once Upon a Time (9 mil/3.0) and the GCB finale (5.7 mil/1.8) were flat.

* Celeb Apprentice (6.2 mil/1.9) was down a tick.

Comments (32)

• So, what are the chances of GCB coming back?

Comment by Gerald – May 7, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping it’s possible, but it shouldn’t serve as a ‘Desperate Housewives’ replacement. It just doesn’t have the same appeal / premise. It would go great on another night though. Maybe They should move Revenge and put the funny GCB with the Wednesday comedy block. Revenge might do really well on a Sunday night

Comment by Chris – May 7, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oooh I like that plan! I feel like putting Revenge and Once Upon A Time together could be good, then GCB or maybe something else with the Wednesday comedy block.

Comment by Alex – May 7, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Doesn’t that seem like a better plan? I feel like these networks aren’t thinking through all the possible decisions they can place these shows. A lot of these shows are very creative, but fail in the ratings because they just aren’t placed properly. They should consult the viewers first =) haha

Comment by Chris – May 7, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I concur! I love GCB and hate that it is being canceled. Wednesday night would be a good slot for it. As Thursday is the medical drama night. I would really hate to see them cancel GCB, ABC bring it back!

Comment by Vee – May 12, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope good. They need to move it to Wednesday at 10pm after the Comedy Block and move Revenge into DH’s old Sunday night spot this fall

Comment by Scott – May 7, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope GCB is renewed. It’s a fun escape.

Comment by Velvet – May 7, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, I love GCB and it’s season finale was a hoot! I’ll miss Desperate Houseswives, but GCB would be a great staple for replacing it. I love it!

Comment by sgs – May 7, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Amazing Race finale continues to be nothing but “amazing” and Rachel & Dave was without a doubt the most unstoppable duo of the race since the first leg especially the one big mistake they went through that almost cost themselves to win the $1 million prize. But they rebound to the end and come out on top as winners and they broke the record for having the most first place finishes of them all: eight. The previous record on TAR was seven but I don’t remember the one team that has done that the last time around.

Comment by bad kevin – May 7, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanx for spoiling TAR’s outcome! And do NOT put Revenge on Sun @ 9, PLEASE!

Comment by brutony – May 7, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Stop whining about spoilers for competition shows!! You should have watched it when it happened or shortly thereafter. If you can’t, stay off all media until you watch it.

Comment by Amanda – May 7, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What is up with you guys. A spoiler is just a spoiler. Keep dreamin’ people.

Comment by kevin – May 7, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing Race was awesome congrats to Dave and Rachel who kicked ass i was rooting for Brenchel as well and im glad Art/JJ lost

Comment by Josh – May 7, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to miss Desperate Housewives it was such a significant show for me. This is it the finale is this sunday and also once upon a time!!! :)

Comment by JC – May 7, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man Harrys Law has been on such a strong kick over the last five weeks that its such a bummer it can’t get a higher demo number. Still praying for a third season.

Comment by jasie – May 7, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I CAN’T AGREE MORE.UNFORTUNATLY NETWORKS THESE DAYS RENEW SHOWS BASED ON RATING.I AM ALSO HOPING FOR MORE SEASONS

Comment by RENNY – May 7, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jasie, I love the show too, but “heard” although not officially that we are not getting a third season. It is too bad, because like you I feel it has really hit it’s stride this year. Moving it around to different time slots certainly hasn’t helped.

Comment by Anne – May 7, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s been horrible!!They jumped the Shark bigtime.

Comment by Shaun – May 7, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The previous record for most first place finishes on The Amazing Race was seven but I don’t remember which team has done that the last time around.

Comment by kevin – May 7, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Matt have they said how Sherlock did yet?

Comment by Renee – May 7, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cable and PBS ratings come in much, sometimes much much, later.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 7, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once was awesome and a half last night! I don’t care about the ratings I cannot wait to see what will happen next week!!!

Comment by Julie (@CDNspnFAN) – May 7, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once was amazing last night. The buildup to the finale is going to be great. Can’t wait. The same can be said for Desperate Housewives. I really can’t wait to see how it all ends. I really hope people tune in to see because the show deserves it.

GCB is gone i think. Body of Proof has a better shot at renewal i would think because it has the same demo but higher viewer numbers which doesn’t count much but when you look at it, it makes better sense.

Comment by greysfan – May 7, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s fairly pointless to compare a show that launched in the fall with a show that launches in the spring, especially when they are on two different nights, have two different lead-ins, are on different seasons, cost different amounts, are made by different production studios, etc. I don’t think total viewership matters at all at this point, much as that sucks. Some of those factors speak to keeping GCB over BoP, some vice versa. I’m not sure it matters either way — I don’t view them as direct competition. I think they are more in competition with the pilots. If I had to guess – GCB gets a 13 episode pickup for mid-season, BoP gets cancelled.

Comment by Lola – May 7, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love both shows but Body of Proof is more likey to be renew then GCB, Plus ABC arent choosing GCB faith over if they want to keep BOP.GCB is really competeing against Scandal and the new pilots for shows this fall. Also BOP fans have spoken out and have been heard,GCB fans should do the same,Email Paul.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – May 7, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • GCB was sooo funny over the top!!! It constantly made my family LOL! We all loved it and will miss it!!!

Comment by Brian Morrison – May 14, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB is the only show I watch that comes on at 9pm CST. Normally I watch the news and then syndicated stuff til bedtime. If they cancel GCB ABC will lose another viewer.

Comment by Kirk Sansom – May 7, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Harry’s Laws ratings are awful, tying with CW’s Supernatural and being beaten by the Vampire Diaries and probably every other show on ABC, CBS and FOX and NBC. Cancel it now!

Comment by crimtv – May 7, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope ABC brings back GCB and bring it back on Wed. Comedy night,I think thats where it needs to be and Revenge should move to Sundays

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – May 7, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, please-I got ENOUGH to watch on Suns @ 9-for YEARS, DH impeded on my sports viewing, Animation Domination, and any other special that the nets just HAVE to show at that time-not to mention all th cable shows that premiere then. At least with them, I can watch them during the week, but Suns @ 9 needs to be free of Revenge, or any other show I enjoy!

Comment by brutony – May 7, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think {as Lola noted}, GCB [and other bubble shows like BoP] are in competition with the ABC pilots being considered for the fall. From what I’ve read thus far (we’ll know more by early next week during Up Fronts in NY), ABC likes Devious Maids (Marc Cherry prod). My guess is DM will replace Desperate Housewives at 9pm. That leaves GCB to remain at 10 on Sunday or be canceled. I don’t believe they’ll move it – GCB would be a good companion show to Devious Maids. If ABC can find another (better?) pilot show to go on at 10pm Sunday {ie 666 Park Ave, Americana?}, then GCB is probably done. But a short-order of 13 episodes with an option for ‘a back nine’ might be in store for GCB. I hope so – I like Leslie Bibb and would like to see her weekly on network TV.

As far as the other nights at 10pm – ABC loves pilot ‘Nashville’ {for my money, the best pilot this spring}, and I suspect it will get the BoP slot following DWTS 10pm Tuesday. Revenge will stay where it is at 10pm Wednesday where it has done well. Castle on Monday/10pm. Greys’ at 9pm/Thursday, a new show needed for 8pm on Thursday {Mistresses?}, a short order (13?) for Private Practice, and potentially a renewal for Scandal [at 10pm Thurs). Good news for ABC comedies - I think. ABC apparently not overly thrilled with their comedy pilots, so perhaps just three pilots picked up next week (American Judy {Judy Greer}, Malibu Country {Reba M} and Live with Parents {Sarah Chalke}). That spells good news for Happy Endings, Apt 23, and maybe - maybe Cougar Town? [a long shot].

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – May 7, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post