Finale Post Mortem: Castle Boss Says What Comes Next Is Tough, 'But It'll Be Fun Tough'

Warning: The following contains major spoilers from the Season 4 finale of ABC’s Castle. If you have not yet watched, turn away now. All others, proceed….

On Monday night in the Season 4 finale of Castle, all secrets were shared and all cards were put out on the table, as promised. But where did it all lead?

Working the murder of an Army vet, Beckett & Co. came to discover through DNA evidence that the shooter was the same guy who put a bullet in Kate’s heart a year ago — and thus he figures into the larger, deadly conspiracy surrounding Johanna Beckett’s years-ago killing.

RELATED | May 2012 Sweeps Scorecard: Deaths, Weddings, Pregnancies, Sex, Graduations and More!

But for Kate to rattle that hornet’s nest again would certainly lead to her own demise — a fact that Rick has known but kept to himself. And in the finale, he made clear to Kate exactly why she needed to back away from this case.

Beckett was less than understanding. “I didn’t need protection; I needed a lead, and you sat on it for a year…. How the hell could you do this?!”

“Because I love you. But you already know that, don’t you,” Rick said, alluding to his Season 3 finale declaration which Kate has pretended to not remember.

They agreed to disagree, and Kate stayed on the case while Rick disclosed his intention to exit stage left, once and for all. But after a brutal rooftop throwdown with the shooter (played by Battlestar Galactica alum Tahmoh Penikett) — and backlash from Capt. Gates which led Beckett to not just turn in her badge, as Esposito did, but tender her resignation — a rain-soaked Kate showed up at Rick’s door to say three words again and again: “I’m so sorry.”

“He got away, and I didn’t care,” she explained. “I almost died, and all I could think about was you. I just want you.”

RELATED | Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 54 Big Finishes!

And like that, one of TV’s biggest Will They/Won’t They couples fell into each other’s arms, and then (from all indications) into Rick’s bed. And not a moment too soon.

“In terms of storytelling, we felt like we were dangerously close to trying the audience’s patience – and we were starting to get impatient ourselves. We want to move on to new territory,” series creator Andrew W. Marlowe tells TVLine. “We feel like we wrung everything out of them not being in a relationship, so it’s time to put them in a relationship and in more, different fun.”

Fun however does not necessarily mean easy. “Relationships are tough, especially when the two people are fundamentally different people,” the show boss notes. “But I think it’s going to be fun tough – like when Sam and Diane got together on Cheers.”

Marlowe reports that the timing of the sexy new wrinkle “felt right” to not just him and his writing team but both of Castle‘s leads, Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic. “To not have done it now would have betrayed our covenant with the audience,” he states. “We’ve asked them to invest, and we would not be good storytellers if we did not pay off that investment.”

So, Castle fans: Happy? (And did you really have any doubt?)

1. Mari says:

This is why I always said: In Marlowe we trust! He’s a great showrunner!!

2. ollie says:

all i wanted to do was jump up and down and scream yes yes finally like a school girl but my husband was asleep

• maryploppins says:

OMG I actually did that (minus the jumping, just the screaming, all by myself on the couch), and my husband told me this morning “I heard you last night out there yelling in the living room” bwahahhaha. Oops.

• Kathy A says:

My husband went to bed, too, but I stayed up with the dogs and we had a wonderful time. He still hasn’t watched it yet — I’ve had a horrible time not spoiling him (though I -did- tell him he should have stayed up with me).

• You should have thrown cold water on him.

• Kathy says:

Nah — it was easier to let him sleep (ht hasn’t been feeling well for the past few days, anyway). We’re going to watch it now, and I’ll know everything that happens long before he does. :)

• That’s the truth!!!

• maryploppins says:

Hahaha man I only wish I could get the hubs to watch it. He will sometimes sit there while I watch episodes of it if he’s bored, but he’s not into it enough to actively watch it, like, on purpose. ;-) It’s so annoying because then I have no one to talk to about it and freak out with about it except on Twitter and this TVLine thread (none of my friends watch it but I do have one coworker does, so I did talk to him about it, lol). But last night my husband actually did a surprisingly good job at acting interested when I told him a few things about what happened in the finale and why I was screaming about it the night before, LOL. He was even asking me a few specific questions and stuff, I was shocked. ;-) I couldn’t tell if he was doing that just to be nice, or because all my freaking out slightly piqued his interest for real, hahaha. Hopefully your husband enjoys it.

• Kathy says:

He loved that they got together (he’s a shipper!) but he’s tired of the Kate’s mother’s murder plot. He loves the show enough to watch the DVDs on his own if I’m busy doing something else, though.

• maryploppins says:

@Kathy – Yeah I will say that the cliffhanger (yet ANOTHER threat on Kate’s life and more continuation of the Johanna murder investigation plot) did absolutely nothing for me, but at that point I could not possibly care less because I was WAY too elated about the previous scene. ;-) I wish they could have just cut out the cliffhanger completely and made more room for Castle/Beckett goodness, hahaha. But I honestly think they will not continue that plot too much further into next season. I think at some point next season they will move on to trying to figure out what’s up with Castle’s dad.

3. kathy dooley says:

I have one major complaint with CASTLE. Why sooooooooooooooo many commercials??Seriously, the actual show is around 35 minutes.

• fan says:

Heh. I think you were too absorbed into the episode. The episode was 42:27 mins long. About the same as always. :)

4. crappidoo says:

i watched this in the middle of the night and i was like wooooo….. before i realised it was 3am and people were asleep

• Lars says:

I got up to watch at 5 a.m., i’m european, and i totally made the same mistake, i’m still wondering how much my neighbours hate me:D

5. fan says:

Now that one of the best will-they/won’t-they couples on tv finally got together, the pressure on Marlowe is even greater to kill that Moonlighting curse. In Marlowe, I trust.

• Kathy A says:

The ‘Moonlighting Curse’ is so bogus. First of all, the level of writing on that show was nowhere near what we have on Castle. Second — the leads hated each other, and it came across on screen. Castle, OTOH, is a happy set, and it shows. SK and NF have amazing chemistry, and are invested in their characters.

6. JSD says:

I gave up caring about them as a couple a while ago. THis was too prolonged and drawn out. They were not on the edge but had dropped off. Kate was dragging the guy’s heart around cruelly for some time and it made her seem like a bitch. I wanted to see him move on from her since last season even before the shot.

This last season was in total a bit of a mess and disappointment to me. The werewolves and zombies and dancing with the stars all seemed like reaching too far and coming up empty. Nathan Fillian is great and he carries the show on his back. Stanic is attractive and can be a good partner for banter, but the obsessiveness about ordering her life and that of her mother’s death while pushing away those who care and are loyal seems to strain any person’s loyalties. Sorry, but it all became heavy to carry for a lighthearted show. It stopped being fun and I had to work to suspend belief about too many things at one time. Their relationship was the first to go.

7. Castle had 12.6 mill viewers for Monday Season finale.

8. lps says:

Castle speech to Becket: I love you but you already know that… was PERFECT

9. E says:

I have been giggling and makeing wierd nocies for about 36 hours now, I’m hopeing to hold on to this feeling for a while <3

10. Nichole says:

didn’t work for me sorry, Fillion as Castle has nailed the love sick puppy stuff all season, but just don’t get the “i love you” vibe of Katic as Beckett, she comes across as awkward and unconvincing in relation to feelings for Castle. Have to say though that Fillion in the season at Becketts apartment declearing everything was fantastic acting!

11. Talea says:

I voted OK. The idea and the general plot were awesome; as was the acting. But there was too much crammed into one ep; this should have been the 2-parter so the execution was clumsy. Plus the editing of the love scene was awful; and some of the writing incredibly clunkly.

And, to be honest, I felt cheated that much of the rest of Season 4 was full of delaying tactics. It seems like way too much way too late, so this finale felt like a reprieve, not a win.

What it did do well was set up the show for a wonderful Season 5 — IF Marlowe and co. can deliver the goods. The ball’s in Marlowe’s court; I hope he hits it well.

12. lame says:

This was overdue, it should have happened at the end of January. The method of keeping them apart had become a drinking game, as one fan so eloquently labeled it ” predictus, interrupts”.
    The amazing thing is the final episode was a thing of beauty, if only that effort had been used for the dark holes that littered half the season.

13. Folks will regret this pairing coming to fruition as likely the jump the shark moment for this show. Hope I’m wrong but this stuff never works out.

14. Norma says:

Now that the “dancing” is over….where do they go from there? I can’t wait to see the character development for Castle as well as Becket. How will a relationship change them, or will it? Thank you ABC for not canceling this gem.

15. Dr. J says:

Sooo amazing! Thank God they didn’t go the Bones way n drag it out til no one cared any more! Used to watch Castle with my hostel-mates in Med School which ended 2 months ago…best way to unwind from the endless books n steths n scrubs! N it sort of keeps us together even nw…endless calls n texts after that brilliant finale!

16. Congrats to Andrew W. Marlowe and his team for putting together the best season final of the year.

17. I congratulate, the ermarkable answer…

18. Rich Abey says:

Every Castle fan’s favorite episode of all-time. Enough said! #Caskett #Always

19. caskettwriter says:

Oh I forgot: Not my article but I think it`s alright that I post the link because I`ve found it through a link on the Castle Spoiler Blog ages ago. And I`ve read it so many times. And until now Marlowe hit all the criteria to make this still an awesome, fulfilling, extraordinary, funny, … TV Show. I mean, come on guys: The guy and his awesome team of writers (and actors, and directors, and really all of the crew) has never let us down before. Especially not with this finale. So they`re gonna make Season 5 SOOOOOO good.