Finale Post Mortem: Castle Boss Says What Comes Next Is Tough, 'But It'll Be Fun Tough'

Warning: The following contains major spoilers from the Season 4 finale of ABC’s Castle. If you have not yet watched, turn away now. All others, proceed….

On Monday night in the Season 4 finale of Castle, all secrets were shared and all cards were put out on the table, as promised. But where did it all lead?

Working the murder of an Army vet, Beckett & Co. came to discover through DNA evidence that the shooter was the same guy who put a bullet in Kate’s heart a year ago — and thus he figures into the larger, deadly conspiracy surrounding Johanna Beckett’s years-ago killing.

RELATED | May 2012 Sweeps Scorecard: Deaths, Weddings, Pregnancies, Sex, Graduations and More!

But for Kate to rattle that hornet’s nest again would certainly lead to her own demise — a fact that Rick has known but kept to himself. And in the finale, he made clear to Kate exactly why she needed to back away from this case.

Beckett was less than understanding. “I didn’t need protection; I needed a lead, and you sat on it for a year…. How the hell could you do this?!”

“Because I love you. But you already know that, don’t you,” Rick said, alluding to his Season 3 finale declaration which Kate has pretended to not remember.

They agreed to disagree, and Kate stayed on the case while Rick disclosed his intention to exit stage left, once and for all. But after a brutal rooftop throwdown with the shooter (played by Battlestar Galactica alum Tahmoh Penikett) — and backlash from Capt. Gates which led Beckett to not just turn in her badge, as Esposito did, but tender her resignation — a rain-soaked Kate showed up at Rick’s door to say three words again and again: “I’m so sorry.”

“He got away, and I didn’t care,” she explained. “I almost died, and all I could think about was you. I just want you.”

RELATED | Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 54 Big Finishes!

And like that, one of TV’s biggest Will They/Won’t They couples fell into each other’s arms, and then (from all indications) into Rick’s bed. And not a moment too soon.

Fun however does not necessarily mean easy. “Relationships are tough, especially when the two people are fundamentally different people,” the show boss notes. “But I think it’s going to be fun tough – like when Sam and Diane got together on Cheers.”

Marlowe reports that the timing of the sexy new wrinkle “felt right” to not just him and his writing team but both of Castle‘s leads, Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic. “To not have done it now would have betrayed our covenant with the audience,” he states. “We’ve asked them to invest, and we would not be good storytellers if we did not pay off that investment.”

So, Castle fans: Happy? (And did you really have any doubt?)

1. Elia says:

Just loved the finale can’ t wait for season 5. What a long summer this will be.

2. melissa says:

PERFECT!!!!! :-D

3. Mishka Barnard says:

That just happen happy and I hope they can put away kate mom case for a m

4. Cindy says:

Superb. Can also see Gates calling in a badass friend … she should still have Avery Brooks number from DS9 days.

5. michellerm611 says:

That was awesome! I recorded it so I can watch it over and over again!

• Lauren says:

Yup, that episode is gonna be living on my DVR for quite some time.

• Kathy says:

I’m putting it on a DVD just in case (we had two DVRs and a DVD player fried last year in a bad T-storm) — and then I’ll buy the pro set when it’s released.

6. Emily says:

Seriously amazing!!! so glad they didn’t keep dragging it out! i’m just hoping it picks up right where it left off, or at least the morning after. An amazing finale!

7. So what is the date for the first episode of Castle on the fall schedule? I need to mark my calender now! Excellent Ep all around. (One question though… When “the shooter” was looking down on Kate on the roof, What did he say? Was it “But you already know who’s behind this”. What the heck did that mean?

8. Ashton says:

Never been so happy over a Castle episode!!

9. melissa says:

Amazing and perfect… epic is not enough… totally worth 4 years waiting for this to happen… I loved it!!!!

10. Shannon says:

I have never, ever in my 30 years of existence freaked out like this over a TV show. But this is just such an incredibly brilliant thing happening here. The cast, the writing, the direction, everyone who works on this show is incredible. Especially Nathan and Stana. I have never seen two actors with this kind of chemistry. The emotions they share, every little glance, every single movement and subtle nuance just bursts off them. They can have an entre conversation in 2 seconds just by the looks they see in each other eyes. There is something about them that is so real and honest.
    This episode was by far the most amazing one I’ve seen yet. The case was intense, from the initial relief she felt when they thought it was linked to gangs to the very end when he finds Mr. Smith and promises to keep it going. Really draws viewers and makes us care about where this thing is going to end up. I think pulling away from this particular case for the better part of the season allowed us a chance to breathe and not feel like it’s completely overdone by now. We’re still invested in it because we got a break from it.
    I loved everything they did between Castle and Beckett. The way he came out with it, her snese of betrayal, him calling her out on the fact that she’s been lying to him too. I love that when she was dangling off that building, near death, he was the only thing on her mind. I love that even after she was pulled up she still couldn’t get her mind off him. I am not the least bit surprised she resigned. I think she would have done it even if she hadn’t been put on leave. I think when she had that moment on the roof, she realized that she was holding herself back, she was too invested in the job to be able to be with him, and she knew then that being with him was more important. When she went to his apartment, you could see that she was still afraid he wouldn’t forgive her. This is what I love about her, there are always so many emotions in her eyes. Love, fear, honesty, sadness, and then relief and happiness. I knew they were going to touch on her scar. Literally. I just knew he would start to undo her shirt, and see it there, and it would make it an even more emotional moment for them.
    Everything about this episode was awesome. Even where they left Ryan and Esposito. I love that Gates actually looked a little bit shocked that her best detective just walked away. HA! It really sets it up for next season’s opener, which from what I hear, is going to be taking place immediately after this one.
    So very, VERY happy Castle fan here!!!!!!! Way to go, everyone!!!!!!

• melissa says:

I loved your review.. so well written, it brought all the feelings I had during the episode… thank you!! :-)

• Jane says:

I so agree with you. The strength of this show is how real and intricate the emotions of the character’s are, and how much they’re able to convey. I just thought everything in this episode was pitch-perfect, character-wise. And story-wise, as well. Satisfying for the audience, satisfying for the characters, and just all around entertaining in the best way- in that it actually makes your audience shriek with joy. Now that’s successful television.

• Krithika says:

Wow a truly amazing review!!! You spoke my heart out!!

• Ali,Sr. says:

DITTO – DITTO – DITTO !!!!!! Thank you Shannon – you have written from the heart and in so doing have managed to convey what we all feel & question ourselves about: “What is it about this program?” “Why are we mesmerized by Rick & Kate?” Every now & then we are given gifts by “the universe” – such is the case with the cast & crew of Castle…& the way you have expressed it all…a gift from your heart to ours. THANK YOU !!! :)

11. Briana says:

ITS FINALLY HAPPENING!!! Not only did they give us what we wanted (well most of us and Stana Katic re:little castle babies) but left a lot of things hanging in the air and just think of all the bickering and bantering they will have now that they aren’t pining/holdingback/makingeachotherjealous/etc.etc.etc Also someone tried to interupt me the last 10 minutes to move a gorram car…needless to say I got to practice my firefly swear words as well but that’s what they get.

12. Norma says:

Thank you , Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done, please start the new season where this one leaves off!!!!

13. Allison says:

Blah, I was really underwhelmed. Welcomed the kiss, of course, but it was so inevitable it was hardly a surprise. The other 90% of the episode was either cheesy (hanging off a building… really? grave looks over and over again… really?) or just took time away from the good stuff. I still feel like so much of this season was a waste – we barely got anywhere since a year ago. I know she needed time to recover, but I feel like we completely lost momentum in their relationship. I love me some Beckett and Castle, but this just wasn’t a finale to me.

• Ruby says:

There’s always gotta be one of you complainers, hasn’t there?

• Elizabeth says:

Allison, I am right there with you. Underwhelming is the perfect word to describe my feelings toward this episode. I wanted to love it; I really, really did, and while there were parts that both worked for the story and for me as a viewer, the rest of it left me asking “is that it?” aloud. It almost felt like it was trying too hard — the “symbolism” of Beckett hanging on to that ledge/Alexis’ “deep and meaningful” words that became magically applicable to everything ever was so melodramatic and overwrought I actually started laughing. (Also, seriously, Kate Beckett is many things, including a BAMF, but were we really expected to believe she could hang there that long? Or that the sniper/Duke Crocker’s father from “Haven” sustained no injuries whatsoever fighting her? Yes, yes, suspension of disbelief and all that, but that was just pushing it.)

I’ve wanted them together ever since she sauntered away in the pilot, swinging her hips in time with OneRepublic, and I was happy to see at least part of a resolution of that tension (and I do have to admit loving the fact that it was Beckett who broke the stalemate.) But as you said, “Always” mostly felt so like many of the other episodes this season: filler until we got to That Very Big Meaningful Moment Wherein [dramatic announcer voice] Everything Changes ForEVER. It was nice, yes, but it could have been so much better.

• raven says:

“Or that the sniper/Duke Crocker’s father from “Haven” sustained no injuries whatsoever fighting her?”

That’s because he’s a Familiar…yes, I just brought up Dark Angel, lol. But seriously, I said “Dude, she just punched him in the face and he barely even flinched. That’s weird.”

• Donna says:

I have to agree with Allison’s comments. I LOVE Castle! I’m a rabid fan of the show but it just didn’t live up to what I know these two actors are capable of. There have been so many episodes that I thought were done so much better that really showcased their chemistry. The recent episode of the Vampire Dairies where Elena and Damon make out now that was hot and what I honestly expected to see tonight on Castle. I mean this guy has been waiting FOREVER for this woman! And he pulls back and says “what happened?” Are you kidding me? We shouldn’t have been hearing anything except heavy breathing and clothes being ripped off. As far as the episode itself Marlowe said it wasn’t really about the murderer. In the end it was a vehicle to get us to the Castle and Beckett kissing moment. But when Marlowe said they would lay their cards on the table in the end I feel like really only Castle did that. I actually think I would have preferred to not know that it was coming so it was a surprise like the kiss they shared last season. Now that one had me jumping up out of my chair yelling..Yeah!!!! That kiss sizzled and this coming together scene should have too.

• Jessie says:

blah blah blah…some people never get tired of complaining do they?

• Georgina says:

I agree. I thought they were being melodramatic too many times in the episode so they could build up the moment leading into the kiss. I don’t understand why Castle fans can’t seem to accept other fans can have different opinions on an episode. And if it isn’t positive, you must be a bad fan or oh wait you’re not a fan at all *attack mode*.

14. Claudine says:

Would have been happier if Castle hadn’t abandoned her in order for this to happen.

• Kath says:

Yeah, that really bothered me too. Surely by now he should realize that just because Kate is mad at him in the moment, she’s going to come round in the end. That’s the pattern of her and relationships. Refusing her phone calls just made me want to smack him.

It was the only sour note in an otherwise exciting episode.

• jeni says:

yeah, but i think he did realize that she always comes around…and he was for real done. Loving someone the way he loves her is a unique thing for Castle and he wasn’t going to watch her self-destruct. Anyone who loves an addict has been there.
        And she’s a very capable adult; she doesn’t need a white knight (though I’m glad Ryan stepped up–I loooved his this episode, while loving Espisito, as well–very realistic friendship dynamic).

• maryploppins says:

I don’t think he “abandoned” her at all. He simply could not bear to watch someone he loves get herself killed. And he knew he could do nothing to stop it.

It was dumb that he didn’t answer her call in that last scene, but it was more dramatic for him to just open the door and be surprised. Though in that case I dunno why they had to have her call him beforehand at all, she shoulda just knocked at the door and surprised him. I guess that was a waste of an extra few seconds that they could have spent on making out instead!! ;-)

• fan says:

Abandoning her ironically brought them closer together than ever. They’ve been in near death situations before, dying together. He would always be there, for her. But this time, as she was hanging on the rooftop, her first instinct was that Castle would show up to, like he would normally. That’s why she was yelling out for him. That’s why she heard his voice (in her mind). When Ryan pulled her up, she was expecting Castle to be right there, but he wasn’t. It was in her imagination. At this moment, she realizes how much he means to her.

I think the best cliche saying is that you won’t be able to cherish the things you have right now, until it is gone. In her case, “who is gone”. She’s gotten used of him being right besides her, being her shadow. But this time, she was alone. It did not feel right.

15. Seaside920 says:

Happy just barely begins to scratch the surface. My toes are still curled in excitement!! Long wait, but well worth it. That kiss (and more) was just what the detective ordered! ;-)

16. N. says:

My frakkin’– THAT was one great hour of television! Andrew Marlowe wasn’t even playing in the small leagues, he brought it big time. They better renew it for season five. Seriously.

17. Beckstle says:

Brilliant! Not just because of Caskett – WHICH IS AWESOME and so right on time – but the layers of stories going on ALL make the Caskett story work. Castle is definitely the most UNDERRATED series on TV. It’s beyond the idea of dramedy. It’a an EPIC Drama which has ALL elements coursing through it. The story continues to build and develop season by season, and the love story of Castle and Beckett…just SO beautiful. These characters…the performances, SO amazing. But yeah, Castle is “just a procedural” and The Good Wife is a drama. Whatever.

Also, THANK GOD the Moonlighting curse idea will now be DEBUNKED!

18. Zed says:

Best
    Episode
    Ever

19. ArchaicSteam says:

I know that I the person everyone hates but I’m holding my breath until the new season starts.

While I’m happy that Castle and Beckett got together, I don’t want it to become all emo like other shows have done with the lead ship. It just ruins the show.

If they can have a good relationship and keep the show’s style and momentum then I’ll be happy.

20. juan says:

Yay very happy about this

21. Vanessa says:

There was a thunderstorm here and I was nervous the lightening would cause a power failure during the finale! Made it even more anticlimactic. I loved the episode, it was perfect timing I feel!!! Loved it!!!

22. Lisa says:

I…….there are……..words………..holy mother of…………..I love Marlowe and Miller. I have nothing else to say.

23. Kath says:

it was touch and go for a while there but now that Marlowe has FINALLY got them together, I’ll be back for the premier next season.

24. Wow. What an incredible episode. Nail-biting throughout and insanely breathtaking at the end. I squealed like the fangirl I am when she showed up at his place and gasped at that closing scene. Nice to see another will they/won’t they series couple taking the Bones route and actually getting their leads together. Hooking up the leads isn’t a death knell. Having them together now will get us back to the quirky cases and mystery behind Johanna Beckett’s death. Can’t wait for the premiere next year. And THANK FREAKIN’ GOD! Beckett and Castle deserve some happiness; granted they won’t get it permanently with that sword of Damocles hanging over her head, but I’ll take what I can get. And that means some Castle and Beckett sexiness! SWEET.

25. lauren says:

best. episode. ever. how will they top that!!

26. Congrats to Andrew and Terri on a superb finale. Delivered everything a shipper’s heart could hope for while also not forgetting the power of a well placed consipiracy! This shipper/consipiracy theorist will be waiting with baited breath for episode 5×01 and beyond!

27. Ruby says:

TAHMOH! I’ve been a huge fan ever since BSG and I was kind of not wanting to see him in a bad guy role because Helo was so good, but he KILLED playing a bad guy!

Oh, yeah, and Castle & BecketT, yay!!

28. Linderella says:

Great episode…actually the best ever! I’m ready for next season – bring it on!

29. Alex says:

That was a freaking great episode. I feel like 4 seasons is the right amount of time for it to take for them to get together…the scene of them together at the end was wonderful, as a Bones fan, I wish we would have gotten a scene like that from Bones. The finale was so well crafted and everything played out in a completely perfect way. Can’t wait to see how the show changes after this!

• Nicholas says:

What? You must be high. Booth/Brennan got way more than this.

• Jill says:

I think Alex means actually seeing that first scene of them together, instead of having their relationship consummated off-screen. The audience never got that sexy, passionate, big first moment like Castle and Beckett just had.

• Jillian says:

Seriously, all you want is to see two people have sex. You don’t care about actually seeing two people in love and having a relationship. That’s what we got with B&B…and it’s more than enough.

• Katherine215 says:

Actually, I wanted both. Bones felt like a cheat, especially since we found out they had sex because an intelligent, independent scientist either didn’t use birth control or it somehow failed, which to me was lazy writing.

With Castle, we’ll get both the sex and the relationship. Kudos to Marlowe and Miller.

• Nicholas says:

Yep, Booth and Bones got way more. I feel sorry for the Castle fans.

• becca says:

What a weird comment.

• maryploppins says:

FYI becca I would recommend not paying attention to anything Nicholas writes here, as he seems to have a screw loose. He has been trolling the comment sections of Castle-related articles for the past couple days now. I suspect that he does not watch the show at all.

30. jon says:

Great finale. Love the chemistry between Castle and Kate, and Esposito and Ryan, and Castle and his daughter. However… who killed Beckett’s mom is about as interesting as who killed Rosie Larsen. In other words, not very.

• It’s not about who killed Beckett’s mom. It’s about how who killed Beckett’s mom affects HER and consequently, everyone around her. Unless that person is Castle’s dad, which would be just…overkill there, then that storyline’s not very interesting except how it affects Kate. We’ve seen her go off the deep end and watching Castle pull her back is nail-biting. That’s why we still watch anything about that case.

• Lars says:

It seems like some people are forgetting this. We already know who killed her, it was that guy Koonan (not sure if that is spelled right), Beckett put a bullet in his chest way back in season 2. She is chasing after who ORDERED the hit on her mom

31. Kate says:

This is a great episode for Castle tonight!!!

32. Dmitriy says:

we are happier than you suggest!)

33. orchardist says:

Well done. Took TOO.DAMN.LONG to get her — the air was getting ripe, but at last we’ve got a working relationship (I hope).

34. Carlos Alvarez Jr says:

best episode ever…its about time and it was just so good..i cried out of joy

35. guest says:

YES YES YES! It’s about time! and thank you for not making it all mushy but keeping Beckett as a strong character.

36. Donna says:

I LOVE Castle and have from episode 1, season 1 BUT I felt let down by the scene we’ve all been waiting for. I didn’t think it was hot like the unexpected kiss from last year and she didn’t say “I love you”. AND Beckett has yet to tell Castle her feelings about him. I loved how Castle’s end was handled. I was just hoping for ALOT more from Beckett. I feel kind of cheated. Hopefully when the season picks up in the fall we’ll get to hear Beckett spewing some sonnets Castle’s way. I think he deserves them after all he’s been through with her.

• CastleBeckettAlways says:

I think her single “You” from the previous qns fr Castle’s “What do you want” means so much more than “I love you.” I think it is very well done, especially since this is Beckett we are talking about, who has always been more subtle with her feelings.

• melissa says:

I believe everything she told him describes her feelings towards Castle, I mean she told him she wanted ‘him’, and she also said ‘all I could think was you’… to me that’s more than enough to let someone know how deep my feelings are. Just sayin’… this was an amazing episode, honestly I wouldn’t change anything… and I’m so excited about it that I’ll keep watching it daily until season 5 premiere. :-D

37. Brad says:

The finale was great, and it’s nice to see that Ausiello revealed this to be the blind item which means it wasn’t a dream sequence! The only thing is I’m not getting tired of Beckett’s mom’s murder, but I do think that needs to be wrapped up soon too, because it is getting almost to a level of unbelievability. Tahmoh and all the main cast brought their A-game to this episode and it was written very well. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it’s going to be harder to wait for season five than it was last year to wait the few months between season three and four.

38. CastleBeckettAlways says:

GOOD JOB, ANDREW MARLOWE AND CAST AND CREW OF CASTLE!

I love Castle and Beckett’s final scene. Though there was no blatant sex scene, the whole kissing scene and confession just make it so much more meaningful than a simple sex scene. You can really see Kate opening herself up to Castle, and how she finally understood that Castle is worth more than losing her life over her mother’s case. That finally, her life should move on now from her mother’s case.

39. Always is always says:

Ausiello! Is there something you like to say (or confirm)? ;)

Amazing finale, I couldn’t ask for anything more. Stana and Nathan were phenomenal tonight! And yeah, they were sizzling.

40. Dk says:

I don’t think I have ever been as emotionally invested for a shows finale as I have been with tonight’s castle. Holy effing god. I was literally hyperventilating and wow.
    It was well done but I hated that cliffhanger which I guess is a good sign of great possibilities to come.
    Can’t wait for next season!

41. Castlelover says:

It was amazing but so bitter-sweet. I’m so worried about what’s going to happen at the 12th. What is the show “Castle” without detective work?! And poor Ryan, all alone. And what about Esposito? I hope they all get back together. Alexis’ speech was amazing, so fitting. And the kiss. Omgosh, I died! But I can’t believe Kate has thrown so much away. Her walls have come down but her Mother’s murder and bringing justice will always be a part of her, yet, she’s thrown it away. For now only I hope. I can’t wait whole months before season 5, I’ll die!!!!!!!!!

42. Nicole says:

I loved the episode!!! I likes how Kate was the one taking the lead in the relationship now. She went to his place, inicated the kiss and from the looks of this she took his hand and was leading him to the bedroom. I liked Alexis speech I felt like it tied in nicely with castle and Beckett relationship. It was a much better speech than what was given back in the day at my high school graduation. I wonder why Kate did not trust Ryan enough to have him came with her and Esposito.

43. Siria says:

Wouldn’t that have been a good time for Kate to start calling him Rick? I mean, they are kissing and she is still calling him ‘Castle’.

• LOL I thought that too, but it’s like Mulder and Scully. They ALWAYS called each other their last names, except for very rare occasions. Every show since then has always tried to emulate aspects of X-Files and that’s a big part.

• Bri says:

I agree. She should have called him Rick, or at least start calling him Rick starting next season.

44. E says:

I’m shakeing..l that was something else..

45. maryploppins says:

WWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWIIEEEE holy moly it’s ABOUT TIME!!!! I am so happy right now.

46. Amanda says:

thanks be to God!!!

47. davej says:

loved the sow and yes, I would have been very upst if they strung this on any longer. can’t wait for next season.

How about Beckett and Castle wroking as private detectives for awhile next year before Beckett goes back to NYPD?

48. Joy says:

After reading all the comments I guess you can’t please everyone unless your a miracle worker of course. :-) I thought the show was great. It’s on my DVR and staying there until it comes out on DVD.
    I loved Alexis speech. She certainly did not sound like a pompous ass.The scene were Kate came to his home, soaking wet, finally realising just how much she loved him. It was really well done. Looking forward to next season.

49. Natalie says:

“In terms of storytelling, we felt like we were dangerously close to trying the audience’s patience – and we were starting to get impatient ourselves. We want to move on to new territory,” series creator Andrew W. Marlowe tells TVLine. “We feel like we wrung everything out of them not being in a relationship, so it’s time to put them in a relationship and in more, different fun.”-Andrew Marlowe
    I cannot tell you how long I’ve been looking for a showboss like Marlowe. No excuses, he listens to his fans, he understands how frustrating it is from our viewpoint when you’re watching characters and couples on TV not being developed and going around in ever boring, repetitive circles just so the showboss can keep them apart till the series’ finale, or at least the final season. I’m so glad for a forward thinking, different showboss who puts realistic character development in its proper place. It makes for happier fans, a better viewing experience, and most important a better, more realistic story and series. Marlowe, you are a rare, brave and totally cool showboss. Thanks for being you.