American Idol: What Should the Top 4 Cover for California Dreamin' Week?

All the leaves are brown. And the sky is gray. And not just because Skylar Laine is no longer in the hunt to win Season 11 of American Idol.

Nope, it’s “California Dreamin'” Week on Idol, which means the Top 4 contestants will be tackling music by artists from The Golden State on Wednesday night’s performance episode.

VIDEO | Idology: Is Phillip’s Win Inevitable, or Is There a Secret Plot to Launch [Spoiler] to Victory?

What should Hollie, Jessica, Joshua, and Phillip sing? Check out my suggestions below, then hit the comments with the fruits of your own brainstorming sessions!

1. noa says:

has Eternal Flame ever been done on Idol? how could that be?…
    could work for Hollie too.

2. Donna says:

Doors, Chili Peppers, Mamas and Papas, and Beach Boys are classic California originals with distinctive sounds. Not sure how the first two will play on family-friendly AI though, although I’d love to hear them try.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I believe only one of the Mamas and Papas was actually from California (Michelle Phillips) but they are definitely a “California” group to be sure!

3. Phillip says:

PLEASE AMERICA, VOTE FOR JESSICA SANCHEZ THIS WEEK… !

4. David says:

I would love for Hollie to do “This Town” by The Go-Go’s

5. Singingal says:

If anyone is going to do the Doors it would be P2, right? But if he does “love her madly” he better not screw it up!
    Joshua could do Sly and the Family Stone if they’re keeping it old school. Sara Bareilles is from California, as are No Doubt. There is so much variety they technically have a lot of options. Unless they get a stupidly small list as we know often happens. :(

• Templar says:

P2 should do either Light My Fire by The Doors or I Put A Spell On You by CCR. And, yes, CCR is a California band despite their love of bayous.

• deedee says:

Yeah, The Doors is a natural for P2. Does “Hotel California” qualify? Because P2 can probably slay that one, too.

Wait a minute! Why am I picking songs for Phil? I don’t even like the guy! lol.

• Yes, please says:

“Hello, I Love You” from Phillip? Squeee!!!

• deedee says:

Mmmm, I was thinking “People Are Strange”, myself, but really, almost any Doors tune would work.

• darcy's evil twin says:

:-)
            I kind of like “Break on Through to the Other Side” if I were choosing.

• Templar says:

If Colton’s and Skylar’s departures have taught us anything it is that song choice is crucial. I don’t think any of them should do Hotel California, since it’s about a drug induced fantasy.

• darcy's evil twin says:

LOL. At one of my high school reunions a classmate’s husband spent a considerable amount of time explaining how “Hotel California” is about the Church of Satan (something that has since been dispelled on snopes.com, for what that’s worth). There were times when I was in California traffic and I was just sure Satan was somehow to blame, though.

• Templar says:

I don’t know about Satan, but the line “warm smell of colitas rising up in the air” is a reference to hallucinogenic incense. Everything that follows is the “trip”.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m more inclined to go with the “hallucinogenic trip” explanation than the Church of Satan.

• HairLikeATeddyBear says:

Loooove Sly & the Family Stone. Didn’t even think of them in the Californian theme (well, that’s because I had no idea they were from SF)! They’re amazing… huuuge order for Josh to do any of their songs, although I would love to see him try.

6. NedPepper says:

Crap theme week. Blech. And while Slezak found some great songs from California artists, I doubt ANY of those would clear. Except The Bangles. And No Doubt. But No Doubt is really hard to sing well. It’s a band song, and you have to be able to front a band. Especially Ex-Girlfriend.

7. wendeeloo says:

How cool would it be to hear Hollie sing “Where The Boys Are”?

• Templar says:

Connie Francis is not a California artist. Even the movie it’s a theme for is about Florida.

• wendeeloo says:

Ok – Mr.-Trolling-to-shoot-down-ideas – Then it can be ‘Song I Wish I’d Written’ – Either way she’s got the voice for it – and I wish I had written it…

• Snsetblaze says:

And the song bombed a couple of years ago with another singer during the semi-finals.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think Hollie has the perfect voice for “Where the Boys Are”. There was also a more lighthearted movie called “Palm Springs Weekend” that did take place in California. And all those “Beach Blanket” movies.

8. Nate says:

Since it’s California Dreaming week, shouldn’t somebody be required to sing the theme song from California Dreams?? “surf dudes with attitudes, kinda groovy……”

9. noa says:

the other theme this week is “song i wish i’d written”. or “inspirational lyrics”. or how i like to call it: “whatever song i wanted that got cleared and i can come up with a good explanation for picking it”.

10. Davin Peterson says:

On My California Playlist:
    California Girls
    California by Phatom Planet (O.C. Theme Song)
    Californication
    Dani California
    San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers in Your Hat)
    Calfornia Dreamin’
    Beverly Hills
    California Love
    Gone to California
    Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    All I Wanna Do
    Ocean Avenue
    Hotel Calfornia

11. Rollin'Stoned says:

P2 Should sing God Only Knows…….why he’s still in this competition.

(Personal opinion: if you are too sick to participate in degrading yourself in those Ford commercials, then you should drop out.)

12. Slezak, don’t forget the second theme “Songs I Wish I Had Written”

Hollie could do well with Teenage Dream or Firework.

13. brandy says:

Wishing so hard that this final 4 was Joshua/Jessica/Colton/Elise. Wah wah.

14. crayzforIdol says:

How ’bout some Eagles? “Best of My Love”, “Desperado”, “Heartache Tonight”, or any Don Henley or Joe Walsh, for that matter.

• deedee says:

OMG, Joshua singing Desperado! He’d slay. Too bad that’s not a good song title for a competition. :D

15. kcostell says:

Hollie doesn’t seem to be able to give her best performance unless she can put her all into it, channeling a huge amount of intensity into it even if she’s singing softly (think “Bleeding Love”). The same really applies to Joshua and Jessica.

If you give them a song from the Beach Boys, I fear it’ll collapse under the weight of all the force they bring to bear on it. Think “Honesty” and “She’s Got a Way” during Billie Joel week…both songs were just too delicate for the people singing them.

Phillip could bring the lightness needed to the Beach Boys, but he’d have his own squeaky problems with most of their songs…

• Templar says:

That’s why CCR’s I Put A Spell On You is perfect for P2. It’s a quirky, kind of psycho in love with you kind of song. Goes really well with his facial expressions.

16. takakupo says:

Hollie – “Game of Love” by Santana and Michelle Branch

Philip – “Can You Bend Your Back Like This” by Milla Jovovich and John Frusciant or “Californification” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

Joshua – Holla Back Girl by Gwen Steffani. Really, what the hell is there for him in this category?

Jessica – “Youth of the Nation” by P.O.D. (big chance to reinvent herself).

Song I Wish I’d Written:

Hollie: “Finally” by Fergie. She can’t sing anything else.

Philip: “I’ve Been Waiting for this Moment” by Silver Sun Pick Ups

Joshua: “Listen” by Beyonce. Total Acapella.

Jessica: 8 mile by “Eminem” or “Moment 4 Life” by Nikki Minaj.

• Snsetblaze says:

Good choice for Phillip with the Silversun Pickups. Also perhaps that band’s Panic Swich (or Room – I forget which) would work.

• Chris says:

Like I said in the other comment, Phillip does not have the grittiness and melodic rock power in his voice to pull off a sustainable version of Panic Switch which I had no idea other people knew existed. His grittiness would come across and screaming. And he could make it seem REALLY cheesy on the Idol stage which the song isn’t at all.

17. Kirk Sansom says:

Hollie: California Song – Eternal Flame
    what I Wish…..: – Total Eclipse of the heart
    Phillip: California Song: Cake -Short dress, long jacket
    what I wish – Stray Cat Strut – stray cats
    Jessica California song: White Rabbit – Jefferson Airplane
    what I wish: Smooth operator – sade or un-break my heart
    Josh: California Song: So very Hard to Go – Tower of Power
    What I wish: End of the Road – Boyz 2 men

18. Snsetblaze says:

Its too bad that its not songs with California in them or in the title (or featuring towns in California). Then I’d suggest Alice in Chains or Collective Soul for Hollywood.

Why California above all other states? Why not songs from artists in the states the contestants were born in (and/or that mention the state in the title, or talk about the state or a town in the state). If they were going to do this them, it would have been a better one for when more than just four idols were left.

19. Carter says:

Joshua Ledet You raise me up and Killing me softly

Jessica Sachez Believe and if i were a boy

Hollie Cavangh E.T. and Good Mother

Philip Philips She will be loved and a little less conversation

20. Carter says:

Oh Tia
    Tia, Tia, Tia

Cali Songs:
    Josh – You raise me up by Josh Groban
    Jessica Sanchez – Believe by Cher
    Hollie Cavangh – E.T. Katy Perry
    Phil – She Will be Loved Maroon 5

Round 2:

Phil – A little less conversation Elvis Presley
    Hollie – Good Mother Jann Arden
    Jessica – If I Were A Boy Beyonce
    Josh- Killing me Softly The Fugee’s

21. deedee says:

GAAH! I just realized that Journey is a California band (San Fran). That means Josh can do Foolish Heart like some brilliant person suggested a few days back!

22. kim says:

well that’s a strange theme.

23. Mary B says:

It will be fun to see what songs they come out with the theme “Wish I have written.” Should be very telling of who they are.
    Do you remember last year when Haley did “The Earth Song”. for songs that inspire you and she got her head ripped off by the judges. I got the studio of that performance and it and she did an out standing job with it.

24. HT says:

Hollie would do well with Katy Perry’s The One That Got Away as a ballad.

25. TiaGata says:

Michael – Were their NO R&B artist were born in CA???

26. Ana Muti says:

I’m finding it hard to dredge up any decent amount of energy for the final four. I didn’t like Skyler’s vocals all that much but she was, at least, entertaining. Since the two most interesting singers–Elise and Skyler–have been ex’ed, I’m just watching now out of curiosity.
    If I had to name someone I’d like to see in the final two, it would be Josh and Jessica.

27. lunaburning says:

Green Day’s “21 Guns” for Joshua.

28. Dan says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Philip pull the gender swap and do a No Doubt song. Preferably one without a rasta feel, and where he doesn’t have to growl but does anyway.

29. Tracy says:

Whio cares? By this time next year we won’t even remember these people…

Not one of them has the ability to have a music career.

• Marsaili says:

Tracy, this is the Idology message boards, for American Idol, I’m sure there are some boards for The Voice—you need to go find it because you surely aren’t talking about these Idols!

30. Henry says:

I think if Joshua turned God Only Knows into a Gospel song it could be a moment for him.

And Hollie should take advantage of the Katy Perry opportunity here.

31. Marsaili says:

I would love to see Phillip sing LA Woman by the Doors or maybe What’s My Age Again by Blink 182. For Hollie—how about Vacation by the Go Go’s, or Go Ask Alice by Jefferson Starship, for Joshua, I think God Only Knows by the Beach Boys would be awesome or For What it’s Worth by Buffalo Springfield. For Jessica—Destination Unknown by Missing Persons or In My Room, The Beach Boys. ;-)

• Kirk Sansom says:

Its White Rabbit and I think Jessica would do a good job on it since Alice in Wonderland is about a little girl

• Marsaili says:

thank you–I know I had the title wrong, I just couldn’t remember it at all!

• Mark says:

The version from Sucker Punch would be good

• Robin says:

A little girl on a very strange hallucinogenic trip!!! Are you trying to send her home?

• Miscellaneopolan says:

It would be cool to hear White Rabbit on American Idol, but I’m not sure Jessica’s the one to do it. If Elise was still around: golden. Or Haley from last year.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Or Hollie’s not the one to do it, sorry. Neither one of them, really.

• Templar says:

If Elise hadn’t been eliminated she could have done At Seventeen by Janis Ian. Pearfect.

• Marsaili says:

I agree—I was just thinking that it was something so completely off the beaten path for Jessica that she could really show us what’s she’s made of singing a song like this—and of course Elise and Haley would have totally killed it! But, DET is right, it is not appropriate for a young girl—if she would even be able to understand what it’s about.

• Marsaili says:

Woops, I don’t know how I thought I had picked it for Jessica when I had really picked it for Hollie! I picked In My Room for Jessica, LOL! But, yes—it isn’t appropriate for either of them.

32. MamaLis says:

I don’t understand the issue Idol has with clearing songs. The Voice seems to have no problem clearing current and/or relevant songs. What’s the problem?

33. Mark says:

Joshua – Give It Away Now

Jessica – LA Woman

Holly – Early Winter

P2 – Panic Switch

• Chris says:

IA with some of yours but Phillip does not have the grittiness and melodic rock power in his voice to pull off a sustainable version of Panic Switch which I had no idea other people knew existed. His grittiness would come across and screaming. And he could make it seem REALLY cheesy on the Idol stage which the song isn’t at all.

34. Josie says:

VOTE FOR HOLLIE!! PLEASE 12 YEAR OLD GIRLS, STOP VOTING FOR PHILLIP!!!

35. Chris says:

Don’t think anyone else has chosen this *hopes* but I think Hollie could really pull off Cough Syrup by Young the Giant. Not slowing it down, just singing it straight forward alternative. In many ways I’m praying my choice is true, I’m listening to it now and it almost sounds tailor-made for her pipes. I really think she could pull off the emotion and restraint and really have a moment catapulting her into the top 3. She NEEDS a Kris Allen-“Heartless” this week and I think this could be it for her.

36. Richard says:

Jessica is the best in vocals whether in vocal range, technical ability, perfect pitch and power belting. She is the “Total Package” of unbelievable raw talent, looks, style, stage presence, marketability and good wholesome personality. She can sing various styles from upbeat, r&b, pop, soul, urban, motown, dance, ballad, oldies, big band, rock and even rap…check her over 200 youtube videos. She is also current and appeals to all ages. Also, it’s about time for a female to win this year and break the “White Guy With Guitar” syndrome. Just for info, the women champions have all sold more cds and are more successful than the male counterparts even if you added all the male together. Jessica is deserving of the win and she has been perfecting her craft practicing day in and day out ever since she was 5 years old….pls. vote, vote, vote for the best and pls. make Jessica’s dream a reality.

• Marsaili says:

Ok, we’ve been hearing this blah, blah, blah crud about the WGWG and how Jessica is this and that—and it’s so overdone and ridiculous, completely. Jessica is good—so is Hollie, Joshua and Phillip. ALL of these kids have been working their butts off for years, Jessica isn’t any more hard working or special than anyone else. I don’t care about your info–I prefer the guys because they play the music I buy and listen to—i would never buy a Jessica album. And if you want to get picky about it—if ANYONE deserves to win, it should be Joshua—a black, male, R&B singer hasn’t won since season 2 so the voter’s should put him through because there are more female winners than Black male winners—-if we are using YOUR logic. I like Jessica, I think she’s hugely talented and has a great future in front of her—but I’m sick of people putting down the other contestants to try and elevate her somehow—she’s great but she’s not all that yet, if anyone should win it is Joshua, he really IS the whole package–right now. In MY opinion, Joshua is the best.

• Templar says:

ITA I’m for a Joshua/Hollie finale and I’m fine with either one winning. I feel sure Joshua has a contract in the bag. Jessica will probably do well in Asia. I doubt she will sell in North America or Europe.

• qwerty1423 says:

And and an Asian/Latina has never EVER won before. So…..

• Marsaili says:

She’s not going to win because she’s latina/asian. It’s about what they sing. More girls have won than black males who sing soul or R&B. We have Idols like Jessica–we don’t have Idols like Joshua.

37. darcy's evil twin says:

I believe Michelle Phillips was the only member of the Mamas and the Papas that was actually from California. Denny Doherty was a Canuck if I’m not mistaken.
    I guess I haven’t had enough coffee to distinguish which artists are in fact from The Golden State vs. those that aren’t, and I’m not clear on the what the criteria are (again – that’s the geek in me), but…
    P2 – Train’s “Save Me, San Francisco” (a catchy tune that might save him from last week’s performances), Dwight Yoakam’s “Fast as You” (born in Kentucky but famous for his “Bakersfield Sound”), or The Eagles’ “James Dean”.
    Hollie – since she can sing live ;-) she might as well do a Katy Perry song. Like “Firework”.
    Joshua – The Beach Boys’ “Caroline, No” (which would have been a great song for Deandre – no?). Might be a bit too obscure for many Idol viewers, though.
    Jessica – Paula Abdul’s “Straight Up” (but no hoochie-mama outfits, please – I can’t stand to listen to Jimmy whine again). or Jefferson Airplane’s “Somebody to Love”
    I don’t know where the group America was from, but if they were from California and there is a God please don’t let anyone muck up this show with America’s songs.

38. darcy's evil twin says:

I’m a big surprised that people are suggesting Jefferson Airplane’s “White Rabbit” for Jessica. I’m thinking that’s not a good idea, but I could be wrong.

• Marsaili says:

I originally suggested it because I think Grace Slicks vocals are so powerful and different in that song, I’d love to hear Jessica try it—but yeah, the lyrics, maybe not. Elise could have ROCKED it, though! Somebody to Love would be good, too!

• darcy's evil twin says:

yea, I thought “Somebody to Love” was the better choice.

• Marsaili says:

woops, I didn’t even suggest it for Jessica, I had suggested it for Hollie—but either way, they are too young and sweet to sing a song like that with conviction and knowledge of the subject manner.

39. Sandi says:

Songs I would love to see:

Back from Cali – Slash
    Under the Bridge – Chili Peppers
    Californication – Chili Peppers (although it would NEVER be allowed on Idol)
    California Love – Tupac (maybe)

My guess is that California Dreamin’ and California Girls are reserved from results show group numbers.

40. givemeglenn says:

How about an accoustic version of Sweet Child of Mine (Guns ‘ N Roses) for Phillip?

41. darcy's evil twin says:

I’m thinking P2 singing Randy Newman’s “I Love LA” might be kind of fun.

Or Short People, LOL!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Nah – Jessica or Hollie should sing “Short People”, LOL.
        Just kidding.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Nah, Hollie or Jessica should sing Short People.
        Just kidding.

• darcy's evil twin says:

no clue why that came up twice. Sorry!

• Marsaili says:

LOL, I don’t think the two teeniest people on the show want to be singing “short people got, no reason to live” :-)

• deedee says:

It would make a cute duet with Hollie and Jessica – snarking on the whole heels theme.

• Marsaili says:

LOL, now that WOULD be fun—but the lyrics to that song are so awful (-ly funny!) there would be too many people who wouldn’t get the joke and it would cause a whole controversy! I can see the headlines—American Idol: hating on short people and probably racist, too! :-)

• deedee says:

“Haters ‘n Racists” – the new country single by Skylar Laine.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Okay, Love the idea of Hollie and Jessica doing “Short People” in the skyscraper heels, and “Haters and Racists” is a great country song for Skylar! how funny.

• Marsaili says:

LOL, we crack me up! ;-D

42. Carey says:

Chris Isaak is a native of California. I would love to hear any of his songs. I suppose X and Rancid are out though.

• Marsaili says:

Hmmmm, picturing Phil singing The Wicked Game. Hmmmmm.

• Templar says:

He already did it during Hollywood week.

• Marsaili says:

OMG, that’s right! I completely forgot about that. I honestly had no idea what he was singing at the time, but when I figured it out I really liked it!

• darcy's evil twin says:

You do remember P2 already sang Wicked Game, don’t you? It was either in Vegas or Hollywood Week. I had no clue what he sang until Mr. Slezak wrote about it in his column. The song was unrecognizable.

43. Jane says:

I would hope that one of them would pick from the greatest band of all time, the Grateful Dead. But, I don’t see that happening. Even though I’m not a PP fan, he could do an nice cover of ” Touch of Grey” or “Sugar Magnolia.” But, I have a feeling we will here Jefferson Airplane’s “Somebody to Love,” the Doors, “Light My Fire,” and some terrible Black Eye Peas or No Doubt song. Hollie should do the Mamas and the Papas “Dedicated to the One I Love.” PP should do “LA Woman” if he’s going to tackle a Doors song or maybe cover Santana’s “Smooth.”. I wonder if they’s let Joshua sing “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay” since Otis Redding wrote it in California or he could go for Simon Cowell’s favorite song, “Desperado.” Jessica could sing a Stevie Nicks song, but those have been done on idol a lot this year.

• deedee says:

Yes, “Desperado” was one of my California picks for Joshua, as well (it’s Simon’s favourite song??). “Dock of the Bay” is a great classic, but yeesh, overdone. Besides, didn’t Michael Bolton cover that one? Joshua’s already been accused of looking for MB covers to cover. I’m hoping Josh goes for something less obvious – like a Journey song or a power ballad by a metal band – and gives it the Josh treatment.

For ‘songs I wish I’d written’, (besides my greatest wish, “Sara Smile”) I like what someone suggested on another board: “Purple Rain” by Prince. I mean … I would just … argh, can you imagine the gloriousness? I don’t think Prince clears for the show, though.

Also a good choice for Josh: “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera.

Dammit. I’ve become overly invested again. Almost David Cook-level invested. How did Joshua do this to me? When he got into the top 24, I was all, “he’s not gonna last more than 3 rounds”. But, dang, the boy surprised me each week until I could no longer deny it. He’s just that good.

When do the spoilers come out for tonight’s show?

• Margeaux says:

Uh, no, Simon’s favourite song is Unchained Melody. he’s said it on air half a dozen times.

• TC says:

I totally understand the Josh love Deedee!! I heard he’s singing something completely different from his style this week which I think will be a good thing

• deedee says:

Glad you get it, TC!
          Yeah, he said it’s “very very very different” for him – not much of a big ballad. I imagine that means “Faithfully” by Journey. Can’t see him doing CCR’s “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”, which has P2 written all over it.

Too bad I don’t think he’s got “I Can’t Make You Love Me” – which would be just *stunning* if he sang it all mellow and melancholy. I get the feeling that one belongs to Hollie, and Joshua will tackle James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s World”. *sigh*, he can kill it, sure, but it’s kind of too much in his wheelhouse, and Elise already did that song in Vegas.

For anyone interested, here are the spoilers:
          California Dreamin

“Have You Ever Seen the Rain” by Creedence Clearwater Revival
          “Steal Away” by Etta James
          “You Raise Me Up” by Josh Groban
          “Faithfully” by Journey

Songs You Wish You Wrote

“And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” by Jennifer Holiday
          “I Can’t Make You Love Me” by Bonnie Raitt
          “Volcano” by Damien Rice
          “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” by James Brown

Duets:

“This Love” by Maroon 5
          “Eternal Flame” by The Bangles

44. givemeglenn says:

Phillip Phillips’ Facebook seems to hint he’ll be singing “Monday Monday” from the Mommas and the Papas.

45. givemeglenn says:

At least it did yesterday.

46. carter says:

well at least i got josh singing you raise me up right

• deedee says:

carter, you have spoilers?

• deedee says:

never mind. Found them. OMG, the ‘wish you wrote’ category has 3 songs that suit Josh, but I REALLY hope it’s Bonnie Raitt’s “I Can’t Make You Love Me” rather than the James Brown or Jennifer Holiday songs. Also, I hope for California, Josh has Journey’s “Faithfully” and NOT that Josh Groban “inspirational” mess.

• Cip says:

I’d bet my car that Joshua will sing Josh Groban’s “You Raise Me Up”. Since it’s such a stripped down song, he might really show a different side of him and slay it.

• deedee says:

But You Raise Me Up has a choir at the end, and it’s an inspirational song. That’s right up his alley. Apparently, he didn’t know the song before, so the Journey song seems like it fits the bill.

47. db says:

chris issaak : J or P2…….Doors definitely

48. aravis says:

No recap from Slezak to comment in so I’ll just say it here: I wish Jessica had sung something more contemporary in her first song.

Aargh, I’m not loving Hollie today. I like her voice better than Jess’ but she was outperformed tonight IMO. I like that she’s not wearing so much sparkle for once.

I want Philip to go already.

49. givemeglenn says:

Phillip’s version of “Volcano” was one of the best performances I’ve heard on AI, and the first song I’ve ever downloaded. I will agree the others have great “voices,” and in particular, Joshua is a great singer and entertainer, but Joshua is pigeon-holed into a Gospel/R&B category which just isn’t my bag. Jessica and Hollie normally pick songs that are either too old, unrecognizable, or just not so etching that I think people would want to hear on the radio. To make matters worse, they often-times try to select songs that allow them to over-sing; show off what they consider to be their “big” voices. Often times, however, this locks them into slow songs; songs that the audience just doesn’t get into or get excited about; isn’t memorable. Whether some of you like it or not, Phillip is the only singer left who is a contemporary to today’s Idol market, and whil some of you may not like his voice or his sound, he seems to choose music that suits him best most of the time, like “Volcano” did last evening. In fact, looking back at the duets last evening, the one with Phillip and Joshua was hands down so much better than the one with Jessica and Hollie that it wasn’t even funny. These two are just better at their trade and better performers. They should be in the finals together, and if they are, it will be unbelievable.