Idology: Is Phillip's Win Inevitable, or Is There a Secret Plot to Launch [Spoiler] to Victory?

With three weeks to go in American Idol‘s 11th season, plenty of fans and pundits have already conceded the race to guitar-slingin’ Georgia peach Phillip Phillips. But let’s not forget: It’s not over till Ryan Seacrest has turned a 5-second announcement into two hours of agony, Kieran’s dimmed the lights, and a lifetime’s supply of glittering confetti is choking out some talented vocalist trying to work his (or her) way through another sappy Idol victory anthem.

On this week’s Idology, Season 6 standout Melinda Doolittle and I try to make sense of Phillip’s success after a subpar Top 5 week, discuss Jessica Sanchez’s “DressGate,” and debate whether or not late-surging Hollie Cavanagh could be a worthy winner. Plus, one of us dons a Skylar Laine-themed t-shirt (spoiler alert: it’s me!), one of us offers practical advice on the dangers of performing in death-courting heels (spoiler alert: it’s Melinda!), and I offer up my latest conspiracy theory involving Nigel Lythgoe, The X Factor, and Lauren Alaina.

VIDEO | Colton Dixon on How He’ll Handle the ‘Christian Artist’ Label and Why Idol Is ‘Fishy’

So press play below for all that Idol-y goodness, and then hit the comments with your thoughts. And for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Jon says:

Again, I am completely sickened by the blatent manipulation from the producers and judges to get their way. And AGAIN, I wonder if the voting public even has any say as to who the winner really is. This is not a ‘contest’ where Amererica gets to ‘choose’ with their votes. The producers clearly have an agenda, and it does not include the most talented and/or marketable artist(s). I’m OVER this crap, and I honestly coulnd’t care less who wins now. Adios American Idol, for GOOD this time!!

2. katie says:

Phillip has had 3 out of 4 bad performance weeks. He has his style, he is really cute, but winning Idol, seriously, no. the other 3 are more worthy winners.

3. Slezak, I think you are really holding Hollie’s 3 bad weeks way harshly against her. Yes, Honesty, What a Feeling, and Jesus Take the Wheel are not the stuff Idol legends are made of, but even Perfect was a step in the right direction. Then she came back with Rolling in the Deep, The Climb, Bleeding Love, etc; even her second rated performances like Son of a Preacher Man and River Deep Mountain High have ben rated higher than most of her competitior’s other songs on WNTS. Carrie had a couple of weeks where she was really meh-to-bad; Hello Young Lovers, Love is a Battlefield, MacArthur Park, When God Fearin Women Get the Blues, etc. She’s leading the pack in 5 star performances; All the Man That I Need, Power of Love, Rolling in the Deep, and Bleeding Love, and have several that are on the cusp, like River Deep and the Climb.

Her arc is so reminscent of Haley’s last year it’s really remarkable that you haven’t jumped on board. Haley had a couple of trainwrecks/mehhhh performances early on – I’m Your Baby Tonight, Call Me, Blue etc – but she was still worthy of winning in your opinion. A lot of Idol champison start out strongly and have their ratings depreciate over time and sort of coast on their way to the finale; Hollie is have an inverse arc, with her approval ratings and performances getting better every week. In my opinion she’s the best choice for the franchise as a winner; Jessica still needs a couple of more years in the oven to cook, while Hollie only needs a few more upgrades. Joshua just isn’t the kind of marketable winner AI so desperately needs at the moment. They need to produce a star.

• noa says:

you might be right. you can kind of tell already what a Hollie album sounds like- well sung, well produced pop. something we’ve been missing for a while. most of the pop artists in the late 90’s early 2000’s sang really well compared to what we have now. frankly, i would rather listen to Hollie on the radio than Katy Perry.

and i really like that you mentioned Haley here. i recently watched Idoloonies again and the things Michael was saying about Haley earlier in the season were even worse that what he said about Hollie. i mean- he compared Haley to KLC. if Hollie is the best in the next 2-3 weeks, i won’t mind if she wins.
      you know, since my top 2 were voted off in the last 2 weeks. (in the voice of GOB/Will Arnett: “COME ON”).

• Templar says:

Feel free to jump all over me for this. I think Hollie has a purity of tone that reminds me of songs by Roxette or Expose. I’d totally buy her CD if she sang those types of songs. To paraphrase Adam Lambert, she makes me want to listen to music again.

• deedee says:

Hollie does have an excellent voice, but I’m not sure she can revive that sort of music again. And she can’t compete with the awful (in my opinion) Katie Perry, or the likes of Lady Gaga, Rhianna, Beyonce, etc. There is something almost too sweet/meek about her personality- that she doesn’t exude star power. Skylar didn’t have as great a voice as Hollie, but she had an intensity, a stage presence and a confidence that stood out. If Hollie had that, she’d be a lock for the win.

• Layla says:

Since we’re mentioning Adam Lambert and Haley Reinhart, both of them have picked Jessica as their fave! :)

• yeah says:

And with good reason; Jessica is the best singer this year. Best since Carrie Underwood, imo.

• Lalaland says:

i strongly agree with you.. a best singer knows if a person can really sing well.. and i totally agree with ADAM LAMBERT and HALEY REINHART.. Both of them are rooting for JESSICA… in my own opinon, JESSICA should win AMERICAN IDOL SEASON 11! by the way, even Jesse Mc Cartney, Kim Kardashian, Pia Toscano and Akon also wants Jessica to win…

• Marsaili says:

Kim Kardashian? Seriously??? LOL! Well, you just blew all of Jessica’s chances with that recommendation! Jesse McCartney? A has-been boy bander from the 80’s-90’s??? Pia Toscano? Well, to be honest–Pia is rooting for Phillip, too. And Hollie. And Joshua. She has no favorite, she loves them all.

Stevie Nicks—who is more famous than any of these people—has said that Phillip would have been asked to join Fleetwood Mac had he been born and old enough back in the 70’s. Now THAT is an endorsement!

Kim Kardashian. ROFLMAO!!!

• Tarc says:

I don’t see the parallel to Haley at all. The judges have been incredibly supportive of Hollie, guiding her along. Last year, Haley turned in stunning performance after stunning performance, and the judges just *hated* on her week after week. There is no parallel there at all.

• noa says:

you’re totally right about the judges, but there is something similar in the way that they both improved along the season, and in the way Michael was describing them on Idology (Idoloonies) for the first few weeks of the finales.

• Tarc says:

I’ll happily agree that Hollie has improved dramatically. I posted a short list that said she was improving and described a couple things she simply had to do to win. Last week, she addressed all of them, and she had the song of the night with Bleeding Love.

• Marsaili says:

Oh, no, no,no,no—Blue was WONDERFUL—her yodeling on that, her phrasing and the runs—I think she did it better than Leanne Rimes! I agree with the rest! ;-)
      The only song I didn’t like of Hollie’s was the Flashdance song—I’ve really liked everything else and all her studio versions are excellent. I do believe she is on the Haley train, I just hope she isn’t left off at gate 3! I do believe that Joshua has want it takes to be the Idol, however. I think R&B needs a comeback and he could be just the person to jump-start it!

• Mary B says:

I really love Hollie’s voice and next to Phillip she is my favorite. I just don’t see her winning. Nobody has ever one Idol who has been in the bottom three as much as she has. I am hoping for a change in the trend. I actually would prefer her winning over Phillip because she would benefit from better than him. I think he is better coming in second or third and not be so tied to the idol contract. I think it would be a struggle for him to fit the mold but I think Hollie would blossom.

• Tarc says:

I’m with you, Mary. I’d be fine with Hollie winning, and I’m pretty sure that Phillip winning would be good for him. The guy will get a contracts no matter what, and doing his own thing is clearly what he wants.

• darcy's evil twin says:

@Landon- thanks for reminding everyone that Carrie had some so-so performances. “MacArthur Park”? Yikes. Even Carrie couldn’t pull off that turkey. And “When God Fearin’ Women Get the Blues” is a kick-a** song but it’s one of those that suffers from the ninety-second edit.

• Yeah, I have always felt Carrie pretty much coasted to victory after Alone. Though I was on the Vonzell Solomon express that year so I’m pretty biased. I myself liked the side of her we saw in Love is a Battlefield, but the Idolsphere was less forviging. Even towards the end of her run she was still turning in some eggs, like If You Don’t Know Me By Now – which Anthony Federov outperformed her on the same night – the Air Supply and Shania Twain songs exposed some of her more obvious weaknesses as well; lack of emotion and robotic like steps. She was actually the lowest rated winner ever until Scotty came along on WNTS; yes, even lower than Lee, though just barely.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Hey, I was the person that said Carrie was talented, but “nothing special” and would probably have a decent country career, LOL. I actually liked Kellie Pickler when she was on Idol better than I liked Carrie – Kellie had more personality and spunk, IMO.

4. Sara says:

I honestly don’t understand the big deal with Joshua. I don’t like him, I don’t like his voice, I think he’s as irritating as Fantasia and it drives me nuts. I will be really upset if he wins; I can’t see him doing anything after Idol.

• muzakality says:

I totally agree, just posted below about it! What would he do? and he has no personality. Maybe he can be a gospel singer, then I don’t have to worry about ever hearing him again.

• deedee says:

Listen to his studio version of “Ready to Love”. It’s very, very beautiful. You may still not enjoy his tone, but that song does show that he can sing with feeling and subtlety, without resorting to the hysterics of gospel.

I always say this, but if Joshua can manage to unlearn his go-to histrionics, he has potential to fit into the current music scene. He has very serious musicality, which is quite rare. I can only hope he doesn’t disappear after Idol.

• deedee says:

Ooops, it’s “Ready FOR Love”

• Mary B says:

I agree Ready for Love was sung beautiful by Josuha. I only wish he would do more of this type of singing instead ending his songs with such loud screeching.

• deedee says:

I wish he would do more subtle singing, too, only because I love it so much. But – despite not being a huge fan of the OTT gospel “screaming”, I still think Joshua’s vocals are always on point. He simply knows how to sing, whether it’s my preferred style or not. He also knows how to infuse a song with total emotional involvement. This is why I think he’s the best singer to hit AI since Adam Lambert.

• Tarc says:

I think that with the right material (like song written by Bruno Mars), he could manage the screeching and be successful. Otherwise, I’d not look forward to hearing him – and gospel is certainly one of those places I’d not hear him.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I never cared for Fantasia – still don’t, but I’m happy for her success. I love Joshua, but a lot of the reasons I like him are the very reasons that other people don’t and they’re also things that won’t make him marketable in today’s world – I love the old school R&B and I love his over-the-top performances. I agree that he’ll need to tone it down to have a career in today’s market. He has a lovely voice – that’s for sure.
      But I think he can still do a couple of old-school, take-it-to-church-baby numbers at his concerts for those of us with fond memories of James Brown and the Ike and Tina Turner Revue. He has amazing showmanship and it would be a shame to waste that entirely. :-)

• deedee says:

I wouldn’t worry, darcy’s evil twin. Joshua doesn’t seem like he’s capable of giving up the Church within. Which is fine by me, too, because he does old school OTT R&B so, so well. Even if he learns restraint for the current itunes market, no doubt his live concerts will include plenty of gospel hands and “can I get an AMEN”s. Funny, I never cared for Fantasia either, so why do I love Joshua so much?

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t know. A lot of people here say P2 is a clone of Dave Matthews and I like P2 but never really cared for DMB.
          Well, I say I like P2. One more week like last week and that could change, LOL.

5. Vladsik says:

Power list (top 4)
    1. Phillip
    2. Joshua
    3.jessica
    4. Hollie -eliminated

Next week (top 3)
    1. Joshua
    2.jessica
    3.phillip – eliminated

Final
    1. Jessica – winner
    2. Joshua

6. Missing me some Elise and Skylar — sigh. It was Hollie’s week. Bleeding love was soooo nice. She just keeps getting better. As for Jessica — it wasn’t just the dress, but a combination of that, the maturity of the song and the awkward dancing. It was hard to focus on the singing. Too sexy for 16. But “You are so Beautiful” was breathtaking. And Phillip’s Time of the Season (not hitting the high notes) shouldn’t have been excused like it was by the judges. They would have certainly called Hollie out on that.

• CAM says:

I agree – already missing Skylar and missed Elise last week. I find Jessica’s voice to be incredible, but the dancing and everything else are always a miss for me. And the fact that the judges failed to to say anything about Phillip’s performance of Time of the Season was ridiculous. If it had been Hollie, they’d have skewered her! Same with Elise. How many times was it pointed out when they were off key?

7. Jessica says:

I like Phillip. Even bad/rough notes I really like his style. I don’t think he will win though. It’s funny b/c it’s still anyone’s game. Hollie could even win. If she has another great week it can boost up her fan base. I still want a Joshua and Phillip final two but not counting on it as long as Jessica is in the picture.

8. muzakality says:

While I agree that Phillip is by far the worst singer in this group and should likely go, I also cannot stand the overpimping of Joshua because he is not that good! His sound is annoying, there is no connection of his “person” to the songs, he is just caterwauling. Then again I also absolutely hated Fantasia, so it makes sense I don’t like Mantasia. I am no fan of Clay Aiken, but he sang To Love Somebody in season 2 and IMO, it was 1000 times better than “Best Singer in 50 Years” Joshua. WTF is JLo thinking? Joshua is not even the best singer on this years Idol, let alone 50 years! I don’t know who should win. I am not really a country fan but I’d have been ok with Skylar winning because I think she is special in that genre. I think Jessica has star potential, she just needs some personality maturity to match her singing. I love little Hollie, but can’t see her winning. It’s funny but it’s like it’s all a big FAIL even though there are some good singers left. As for Phillip, maybe with some lessons of how to actually sing he would actually be able to sing better, but he really shouldn’t win. If he wins, it’s a bit of a joke. Take probably the best guitarist to be on this show, Casey James, and Casey is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better singer than Phillip.

• Tarc says:

He wasn’t when he was on idol.

• muzakality says:

I don’t think Phillip has shown himself to be a great singer. Casey wasn’t “great” either, but he showed more depth and range, IMO. He did make it to what, 3rd or 4th? That said, I really like Phillip! I loved Dave Matthews Band, I love Phillip’s vibe, I’d likely buy and listen to his music. But as a singing competition, I just don’t think he should win. As for Casey, I was just saying that not all WGWG win, and he was by far the best guitarist this show has seen, period. Not bad to look at either!

• Chris says:

If you don’t think Joshua isn’t connecting to the songs he sings, then you are downright in denial. That’s why he is so great-because, like Kris Allen, he connects emotionally to every song he performs. He’s fantastic

• Tarc says:

I’m neither a fan of Joshua’s over-connecting (screeching) or Kris Allen. One is too far, the other too little.

• Tarc says:

Sorry, that should finish with ‘for my tatse.” The cat ran across my keyboard. :P

• Chris says:

Connecting has nothing to do with “screeching”. It has to do with moving listeners-which clearly Josh and Kris Allen can do. I know your obsessive love for p2 (aka Dave Matthews) is tainting your objectivity Tarc, but c’mon…..

• Tarc says:

Oh blah blah blah. Connecting has nothing to do with screeching – unless it makes you screech. which it does. I’m not saying that either Joshua or Kris sucks – I’m merely saying that I don’t like Kris’ music, or Joshua’s singing when he screeches. Read much?

• muzakality says:

Ha, denial? The reason I see no connection is he doesn’t have a clue what he’s singing about, he’s putting on a performance, being what he thinks he should be. He hasn’t even known half these songs. I don’t see screeching and caterwauling as connecting to a song. He makes my ears hurt. Ironically, I liked his first performance the other night because it was more subdued for him, and the judges didn’t like it really.

• NedPepper says:

Phillip needs a band. He needs to be part of a big jam band that have more than one singer. I DO think the kid has talent, but not as a solo act. Way too many glaring weaknesses. But the Phillilp Phillips Band, with a lot talented musicians around him…(you know, like Dave Matthews…), he’d have a great career, could play Bonnaroo and go down that jam band touring route. Winning Idol? Serioiusly? No. Because no one will take him seriously as a musician in his genre as American Idol winner Phillip Phillips! This will be Lee Dewyze all over again. He’s got exposure. He can get his career going. But winning? It will be a curse for him. Mark my words.

• darcy's evil twin says:

You know, that’s one of the better ideas I’ve read here. I kind of agree.

• deedee says:

But doesn’t simply appearing on Idol ruin cred regardless of win? He’s always going to be “American Idol’s Philip Phillips”. P2’s type of “indie-flavoured” vibe is in direct opposition to the slickness of Idol. Fans of that type of music (who aren’t into the show) don’t dig the quick route to success that Idol dishes, and he’ll have a hard time cracking that demographic. He will end up with an audience of Idol fans. It’s happened many times before.

9. db says:

I don’t think it is P2 can’t sing. He should let someone else pick his songs…..two duds lasst week….he should sing Taj Mahal …… fishing blues….. or B/E ST…… born to run…………… something with some bite to it…..then we would see if he has it or not….. I do like the girls…but they are kind of vanilla wafer…. josh has good potential but haven’t seen it except on the bruno mar song……Mike get after him…..

• Tarc says:

The songs Idol can clear are extremely limited most weeks. They’ve said a number of times that they had to pick from a list as small as 14 songs.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I still remember the interview with Aaron Kelly from Season 9 when he told Mr. Slezak they only had a list of ten or 12 songs from which to choose (he’d been criticized by the judges for his song choice and it was one of those weeks when one of the judges said, “There are THOUSANDS of songs out there”).

• Tarc says:

Yeah, it’s hysterical that the judges don’t know the process on their own show. Of course, the list may vary to something bigger on some week, but they’ve said twice this season that the list was tiny – after the judges said the same thing.

10. Templar says:

I’m so crossing my fingers that the bulk of Skylar’s fans switch over to Hollie.

11. Ange says:

“My baby said Happy Birthday to ya” — I almost spit coffee across my keyboard.

12. Amy says:

Another thoroughly enjoyable episode of Idology, tks MS.

One quick note on underdogs….Uncle Nigel and co. may have a Jessica agenda. However, I’m feeling like the America, that seems to like taking ownership of who wins Idol, producer games be damned, may be more invested in Hollie as the authentic underdog. In fact she is the real underdog. And the fact that we’ve never seen someone’s trajectory on Idol like this, also makes her unique and appealing. She’s been a real dark horse surprise, but yet shouldn’t have been.
    To me, the reason for the “quick, late rise” with her is, the same as the reason I’ve been saying I’m rooting for her to “show up”… she’s got clear vocal skills, but just needed improvement with emoting, and performing more authentically. It kind of clicked & kicked in as she went along, while trying to take in all the judges’ & mentors’ (sometimes clear as mud) advice. Once it did kick in it seemed to go into overdrive because her skills were big to begin with. I know I, and i suspect others in the audience, started out thinking she was a frontrunner that could win it all…this late game changer is a real “unlikely” underdog story. She’s too talented to be the underdog, yet somehow she wound up so. I’d think the “Americans that love an underdog” would really love that. JMO. …I also see from posts here for some, she still isn’t doing it…but…that’s Idol every year too.

…that said, Go Hollie! :)

ps. and that’s coming from someone who loves P2, Joshua (and Skylar!), and thinks Jessica deserves a confetti shower too. It’d be fun to see Hollie come from behind and really keeping peaking to the end. …Jess will make a record either way, and a GIRL would finally win!

13. Amy says:

ps. Oops, tks to Melinda too for Idology!

14. Ta1981 says:

I am a huge Phillip fan! Have been following his journey on Idol since we saw his audition from Savannah. I love his style, his vibe, his vocals. I love his rough edgy, haunting melodies. The only time Phillip had hit a bad note all season was in the chorus of Time of the Season & that was because he lost inner hearing in his ear, thus the earpeice came out. His studio of the song is flawless. If you would close your eyes and not look at him , you will hear how amazing he sounds. Anyways, I admire Phillip’s determination – and the fact that he is hanging in there despite his health issues. I’m not into the WGWG – I just love Phillip, on previous seasons I voted for & supported: Lauren Alaina, Paul McDonald, Casey James, Crystal Bowersox, Matt Giraud, Adam Lambert, David Cook, Diana DiGarmo, Chris Daughtry, Latoya London & Clay Aiken – so Phillip really has little in common with my previous favorites. Phillips is nothing like Lee Dewyze & Kris Allen – he’s a lot more edgier and unique than they were/are….

I hope Phillip makes it to the finale – I’d like a Joshua/Phillip finale or a Hollie/Phillip finale…but it’s obvious to me the Judges would like a Joshua/Jessica finale. So if AI is rigged – or fixed – or whatever, TPTB will make it happen…if it’s based on Ameirca’s vote – then Phillip & Hollie will be in finale – unless something drastic happens.

Totally agree.

• Heaven says:

Well said. Phillip has just as much talent as the rest of them and his looks & personality make the package that much sweeter.

• macy says:

Yes, well said and I agree as well! If you listen also, for instance, to the studio recording that Phillip did of “The Stone”, his singing is beautiful.

• Mary B says:

I love “The Stone”. The more I listen to it the more I love it. That and “Still Raining” are my favorites. I play all his studio’s but I always hit repeat on these two songs.

• Sandi says:

So, if it’s based on America’s vote, Hollie will be in the finale. But if it’s rigged or fixed, Joshua and Jessica will be there instead. However, Hollie has been in the bottom 2 for the past 3 weeks, based on America’s vote. Doesn’t make sense to me (unless you think every show is rigged.)

• Jake says:

^^ This^ That is exactly right. That post was just another case of double standards. If my favorite gets eliminated, then the show’s rigged. If the one I hate gets eliminated, then the show is completely fair.

• Bonnie A. says:

Agree with all these posts! Love “Superstition” too!

• Bonnie A. says:

The Studio Version of “Time of the Season” is great! He hit all the notes and love the instrumentation, too.

• Flippy from Happy Tree Friends says:

Maybe that’s because it was AutoTuned?

• Marsaili says:

I hardly think that they would autotune someone on Idol—having said that, you can TELL when someone is autotuned and Phillip wasn’t at all. Geezus, I know you don’t like him but let’s not make crap up about him—that’s just uncalled for.

• Robin says:

I think it will be a Hollie and Phillip finale too…based on the way America votes…just sayin’!

15. Kate says:

Go Jessica!

16. Virginia Brandon says:

For some reason they want Phillip to win. So my suggestion is to resign yourself. If they want him to achieve success at the risk of bussing some of the others, then that’s what they’ll do. They’ve done it and still continue to do it with Season’s past before Idol and even after Idol was done. The season will bring about obsessive fans for Phillip just as they have made obsessive fans for other seasons.

I am very thankful that I found my Idol a few years back and I have not cared who won Idol since Season 9.

17. dipz0r says:

If you think Phillip is being pimped what can you say about the most pimped contestant in idol history?
    I just want Joshua gone. That’s it.
    Tired of his screeching and screaming.

18. Heaven says:

I like Joshua but there’s something off about him. When he’s not singing he is so flat and uninteresting. His crazy stage persona doesn’t match up with his personality. He wouldn’t let Phil hug him in their duet. He stands there awkwardly beside Ryan during his numbers time. He… looks weird. They tried to give him a personality pushing his “bromance” with little Hollie but to no avail. I’m worried about the kid. Does he have some sort of condition we should know about? Not once has he made me smile outside of a well-sung note. I feel like I’m missing something. I wanna like Joshua but he’s got as much personality as a ball of lint. Not everyone has to be ~entertaining but if you’re gonna be a singer there should be something there on and off stage.

• deedee says:

LOL, I kind of find Joshua’s shy offstage personality sorta smoldering and sexy – especially when contrasted to his explosive onstage persona. Michael Jackson was shy, quiet, and introverted offstage, too, and that didn’t interfere with his success.

• Mary B says:

I truly think that that is a good part of his charm. He is so much his own person and refuses to be molded into something he is not. Music is important to him but he will not allow his love for music or desire to win make him a puppet. When it was brought up in an interview that acknowledging his girlfriend could possibly hurt him, he stated that he did not think it was so because he is about the music and if having a girlfriend would keep people from voting for him than they did not care about his music and that would be fine with him. He wants to be voted for because you appreciate what he does not because of what he looks like or how he dresses, I believe that is why he dresses so understated. The music is to be first. He loves what he does and that is to be admired. I truly believe that is why he has so many male friends.

• deedee says:

Mary B, Heaven is talking about Joshua, not Phil.

• Mary B says:

Opps, sorry about that. I was responding to an email but I still believe in what I said about Phillip

• Mary B says:

This was the post I thought I was responding too. Sorry.

Actually, I think that sticking to his guns has been a genious move on his part, whether or not it was intentional. The other contestants often took criticism and suggestions like mindless sponges. Phil blew it off without coming across as a dick. I’m not a fan of his singing but I like him.

• Mary B says:

I truly think that that is a good part of his charm. He is so much his own person and refuses to be molded into something he is not. Music is important to him but he will not allow his love for music or desire to win make him a puppet. When it was brought up in an interview that acknowledging his girlfriend could possibly hurt him, he stated that he did not think it was so because he is about the music and if having a girlfriend would keep people from voting for him than they did not care about his music and that would be fine with him. He wants to be voted for because you appreciate what he does not because of what he looks like or how he dresses, I believe that is why he dresses so understated. The music is to be first. He loves what he does and that is to be admired. I truly believe that is why he has so many male fans.

• CIp says:

The only personality that I care about is Joshua’s personality on stage and it’s FAR SUPERIOR to any of the remaining contestants. This shy kid just turned 20 and went from singing at his father’s church to being viewed by millions of people every week on Idol. To top it off, he has to deal with rude comments and over analyzing of his personality by his viewers. No wonder why he’s afraid to open his mouth. Geeze, let’s just focus on the performances and not the behind the scenes crap, shall we??

19. Jenna says:

As a Phillip fan I will continue to vote for him. If he makes it to finale then great…if not well that’ll suck but I will still support him no matter what.

20. Sorry but Phillip Phillips is awful! He’s a good looking young man but his singing makes me want to cringe. It seems that it makes him want to cringe all the time as well. No way he should still be in the competition. He also needs to take his hands out of his pockets.

Jessica and Hollie are tied with each other as far as I am concerned but I like Hollie’s personality better. I like both of them but neither of them are even close to being in the same league as Joshua Ledet. Randy and Jennifer nailed it when they said Joshua is one of the best singers ever on Idol (sorry Melinda but you are a very close second!). I think Joshua has only had three songs where the pros (Randy, Jennifer and Steven) haven’t given him a standing ovation. Like Randy said, no matter what comes down Joshua is one of the best singers on Idol ever!

21. Sandi says:

My take…

The judges – I’m sick to death of them and their hyperbole, nonsensical comments, and ubiquitous standing ovations. Just sit down already. I can remember one time in 9 seasons of Idol where Simon stood up for a contestant – Adam L’s Mad World (You can correct me if I’m wrong on this but I’m pretty confident I’m right) – and it meant something. They come off like politicians this year – calculating, inconsistent, and self-absorbed.

Phil Phil is an interesting performer with immense natural talent. For whatever reason – health or otherwise – I feel like he’s been stagnant or gotten worse – performance wise – while the rest of them have risen. I definitely think he’s outclassed by the rest of them in terms of vocals and performance and I really want this week to be his last.

Josh Ledet is, without question, an extremely talented singer. For whatever reason, though, he has yet to captivate me. Everything about him reads to me as affected. That terrible Billy Joel rendition said it all to me. The guy look at a song and sees where he can add runs and show off his range. That’s not what I want in a singer. I’d rather see a less talented singer who speaks to my heart the way that Joshua has yet to do.

I guess Hollie and Jessica are similar in the way that they are both young, female, power vocalists that would fit neatly in the pop genre. But, Jessica moves me when she sings and Hollie does not. Hollie comes off as very “middle of the road” for me. I guess it’s something I just can’t put my finger on but I strongly favor Jessica.

I hope Jessica can win this year!

• deedee says:

Sandi, I pretty much agree with your assessment on everything here – with the exception of Jessica. She’s a fantastic singer, but she doesn’t move me. Kind of like you admit that Joshua is a great singer, but he doesn’t move you. (side note: The studio version of Joshua’s “ready for love” actually brings me to tears every time I listen. His voice is sublime in that recording.)

Also totally agree with you on the judges’ standing Os. Enough already! It’s totally meaningless when they do it all the fricking time! Why don’t they realize that – gah!

• CAM says:

Agreed. Jessica’s voice is amazing, but she doesn’t really have a grasp of the story behind what she’s singing. I just feel no connection whatsoever. I’ve said before that I almost feel as if she simply makes certain face for whatever emotion she thinks she’s supposed to feel. I wish she’d waited a few years to audition. I wasn’t feeling much with Hollie either until the last 2 weeks. Now that Skylar and Elise are gone, I’m rooting more for Hollie, Joshua and Phillip. (My choice would have been a Sklar, Elise and Colton top 3)

• NR says:

I am feeling Jessica since the beginning. I love her studio version of sweet dreams and I am a big Beyonce fan. Her rendition of dance with my father & you are so beautiful are just out of this world fantastic. Her I will always love you performance still gives me goosebumps everytime I watch it! go Jessica if I’m allowed to bet I’ll be betting on you

• Liz says:

I am totally behind Jessica. I don’t think of her as a 16 year old because she sings way beyond her years. I have all of her music on my iPod and she’s just great! I don’t care about personality outside of her singing and performance. There are so many artists who have blah personalities but are great in their craft. I look forward to her performance every week because I know she is always above par. So I totally hope she is in the finale.

22. Shay says:

Why was Skylar’s exit sad and shocking? I know that she is a dynamo of talent. She gives each performance 110% and she’s fantastic. But personally, her kind of music is NOT my taste at all. Most of the time, I didn’t even enjoy watching her. I’m not a country fan and she’s a proud country singer. There are a lot of people who just don’t dig that kind of music. And she was a bit TOO high energy for me; just not my taste. And people DO vote based on their personal taste, don’t they? I don’t want to dis Skylar at all; she’s terrific.

Last year everyone was shocked by Pia Toscano’s exit. OMG, I couldn’t STAND that woman. Nobody else I knew who watched could stand her. She did NOT connect with the audience and had no warmth. Oh, yeah, but America got that wrong. How awful. No, America got that one WAY right.

I certainly don’t think Philip Phillips deserves to win. Personally, I’d love to see Joshua win.

• Amy says:

Shay, I couldn’t agree more regarding Pia last year…didn’t do a THING for me and I wasn’t surprised at all that apparently lots of America felt the same. …and I’ve loved “big ballad singers” other years on Idol, but something was just empty about her singing to me.
      While I don’t feel as empty about Hollie or Jessica…I still admit, neither are doing for me what some in the past have done, emotionally, with those big voices. But I favor Hollie’s voice over Jessica’s for some reason, and I’m not into the type performer Jessica would be. I can say she has amazing vocal talent, especially for her age, yet she still has bored me at some level…so it must be her style and genre. I have no interest in buying Jessica records. I could see me possibly buying music by P2, Elise, and Skylar.
      I don’t have one personal favorite this year, which is the first time ever for me with Idol. But it’s been great television this year…best competition and least predictable of all 11 seasons!
      I’ve enjoyed all top 10 and it was hard to select even just 3 favorites. But I have to say P2’s been up there…have really loved him and his style, and it’s not even the type music I’d normally like…but have loved him doing it. I know it all sounds similar, yet it’s never been boring to me…and it’s the kind of music that could usually bore me! So..go figure…kid must be doing something right, cuz as adorable as he is, I’m beyond rooting for him just for that! But I enjoyed Skylar too, thought Elise had the most unique voice, and have enjoyed many of Josh’s performances. Hollie, I just wanted to stay in and improve and show us more. So this year, I’m not voting just watching and commenting on all of them…haven’t a clue for the first time who may win! …though….somehow I HAVE guessed who’d get voted off for the past 4 weeks!

• deedee says:

Hey, my cousin’s name is Shay! But that’s not why I’m responding.

I’m totally with you on Skylar. Her music is not my taste, but I liked her energy a whole lot, and would not have minded if she stayed — or even won the title. She may not have the greatest vocal talent, but she’s an excellent performer, and has a ton of stage presence.

Pia Toscano: exactly right on. No connection; no warmth. She was absolutely not a shock elimination for me, either. Good voice, pretty girl – but that’s about it, imo.

I also don’t think Philip deserves to win because — for all his “indie artistry” — he’s actually not that good. Yes, he’s cute, yes, he’s charming, yes, he’s “different” (for Idol), but in the real world … meh.

I’d love to see Joshua win, too. His R&B/Gospel style is not my type of music at all. I don’t listen to it, and I don’t buy it. BUT I do recognize talent when I see it. And he’s got it this year. His vocal control and musical instincts blow me the f*** away! I don’t say that lightly.

23. why are a lot of you hating on jessica?! what about phillip?! he hasnt been delivering the last two weeks :(

24. Lynn says:

I think the judges are really trying to be careful with Phillip. We know what “bashing” a contestant can do. Usually, if they still give compliments and the contestant continues to be bad (James, from last season) the contestant will be eliminated. Whereas when a contestant has a poor performance and the judges bash..people support that person. (Hollie and Elise beating DeAndre, and Hollie being safe after Perfect)

25. YouConfuseMe says:

If I don’t like Phillips performances that doesn’t mean I hate him,so please don’t call me a hater. Its very immature for one thing and extremely one for another. I think he’s a very nice and typical 21 year old male from Georgia from what I’ve seen. Honestly don’t know him from a hole in the wall but enough of his performances to know I don’t like them. However, good for him and two rocking fist pumps for pursuing his dream. Well played thus far young man.

Most importantly this not your Idology or your column, so please don’t criticize Michael. This space is a gift to you to express your opinion, not to out right be cruel. If you don’t like it, move on. If you can comment objectively then please do so. I can assure you that your outrage won’t change anything in the video or in his columns. “don’t slap a gift horse….”

Jessica and Hollie in my opinion your performances would be so much better if you wore heels you can handle (not the ones wearing you). When you are moving performing up tempo songs they only prohibit you do to fear of tripping, loosing balance, etc. I know you think you can but really as a woman watching I know what its like to wear those 4 inch fashion statements. It’s pretty, in style, etc but really its not needed to win a vote. Why don’t you save those for the press tent and going out. Move on stage, get your center of balance, get it get it while you got it! Take the shoes for a spin later :)

Good luck to all of you Wed!

• Marsaili says:

Thank you for a well spoken and thoughtful post! We aren’t all going to agree on what we like, and that’s ok—but no one has to resort to nastiness!

26. brandy says:

Phillip could do nothing but pee out a kidney stone on stage and still not hit the bottom 2.

27. wordgirl says:

Here’s a theory. After Season 4 Simon said that Carrie Underwood won every single week of that competition and by quite a big margin so there was never any doubt who would win. I am not at all comparing Phillip and Carrie, completely different artists, but what if every week Phillip is winning by large margins. We don’t know the real vote counts but the judges and producers certainly do. And bottom line for Idol is who they can make the most money from. In one sense he is certainly the most unique artist left. Young divas like Jessica and Hollie are common in the biz. Joshua just doesn’t seem to connect for everyone though his vocals are amazing (except for occasinal screaming). Who knows? Phillip is obviously connecting with a lot of voters.

28. crazigrami says:

For me it always comes down to who would I buy a full CD of their music and who would I like to see in concert. Skylar and Colton I would go see. I think Skylar’s show would be really fun and I think Colton’s would be interesting. Do I think they are the best singers … Probably not. Elise’s CD I would buy because I would be interested in the songs she would pick. She had the most interesting of the female voices. Jason is a fabulous talent, but I like his lower range better than his high range. I don’t know if I would buy his CD. Jessica and Holly may hit singles, but again I don’t know if I would buy their CD or not. I can’t tell what they would record. Phillip would be good to see in a small venue over a beer. Large arenas I don’t think so. I just heard a single of Casey Abrams. Good grief bubble gum all the way. So do I have a favorite ? Probably not. The best singers technically that are still in are Jessica and Jason with Holly a close second. Would I pay to see them in a big arena ……. No.

29. crazigrami says:

BTY you don’t do Tina in a dress you can’t move in with heels you can’t walk in. Just saying.

30. NikkiQM says:

Phil is the best singer. He is the only true artist on the show. His performances can be better but his studio recordings are so Fab. Im gonna vote for him a trillion times because the other contestants dont “move” me. He only had one bum performance, “Time of the Season” and he had to sing that while his ear piece fell out. He’s sick but he is still a champ and fighting through it. He isnt a DMB mimic and doesnt look constipated when he sings. His fashion is fine he’s just being himself and admire it. Phil for the win, hes the only one Id pay to see in concert and buy a cd from. HOORAY!
    This sums up every Phil fans comments that are made on a weekly basis on this site.

• wordgirl says:

well said!

• deedee says:

I’m not a Phil fan in the least, but I agree that his studio recordings are far superior to his live performances. I don’t mind his fashion, and do think he’s awfully cute. Still, imo, he’s not that good as a “true artist”. But at some point, it simply boils down to personal taste. Phil doesn’t do it for me, artistically, but glad he’s got a whole lot of fans that will push him toward a big season 11 WIN.

My prediction if he wins: A (less than) David Cook trajectory. Good start, then … flop. (and I’m a huge David Cook fan).

• Mary B says:

I so agree with this and Phillip’s fans should not feel the need to defend themselves for liking his music. Sometimes it truly feels that way on this blog.

31. J says:

Hollie and Joshua for the finale. I can’t imagine these two not standing on stage together as our finalists. Besties FTW!

32. HairLikeATeddyBear says:

Joshua FTW! If I were a producer, I would put the best performer on the pimp slot as many times as I can get away with it! Why would I wanna waste a good creative spot on someone whose not going to do anything with it. Everyone knows that Joshua is a dream talent to work with; stage, choreography, musical arrangement, the works! Can’t wait to see what he’ll come up with this week. Just so happy he’s still around…

• deedee says:

ME TOO! I’m actually surprised he’s still around, given how many people think he’s just Jacob Lusk v. 2.0.

• HairLikeATeddyBear says:

Had no idea who this Jacob Lusk person is – just youtubed him. Totally different voice (which suits different kind of music) and skill level, I must say. Jacob’s voice has the Luther Vandross / Anita Baker velvety texture, which is very nice. While Joshua has a lot more grit + punch + versatility. Besides, Joshua’s higher range is sooo much better – screech and all – cos it fits the type of soul tracks I like! The most exciting thing for me was when Josh proved he could do up-tempo – vocals and moves – which fits funk very well – which I absolutely loooove & miss in the music of today! His “I Wish” is one of my favourite performances.

• deedee says:

Jacob Lusk has some decent Idol recordings, but his live performances were a hot mess. He rarely missed an opportunity to miss a note. Just pitchy and out of control all the time. I very much did not enjoy Jacob’s run last season, and couldn’t understand how he got all the way to top 5. Joshua is rarely off key, and is just an overall much better performer/vocalist. He makes excellent musical choices and executes them with total confidence. Jacob didn’t. (Sorry, Jacob! Yo, keepin’ it real for me for you…)

33. dennisa says:

If Phillip has health issues that prevents him for performing on par and participate in the normal Idol schedule maybe he should bow out while he is ahead. If he can’t participate in a Ford video shoot, how is his health going to hold up for the home town visit? Not that I don’t agree that he has talent, but I do hope that he doesn’t survive another week.
    I am hoping that Hollie can pick up steam and continue the run she has started and possibly pick up most of the votes that Skylar previously had. She is the only remaining contestant that has somewhat of a country flavor. As opposed to the other three remaining contestants I feel that she is the only one that would be able to improve further. Joshua needs to continue what he is doing, I don’t think Jessica knows how to do things differently than she already is, and Phillips health issues prevents him from finding that extra gear to win to competition. Should Hollie find yet another gear I think we very well could see a Joshua/Hollie finale.

• Name That Tune says:

Ok. Kidney stones cause PAIN. That is the major issue with them. He is in a lot pain until the stone passes. We heard about these stones several weeks ago. He should have passed the stone by now, and if he hasn’t then he should be receiving some other kind of treatment to break up the stones so he can pass them. And altering his eating habits so that he can prevent them from re-occurring.

• Marsaili says:

He has a chronic problem that he’s had since birth from what his father said—and he keeps making stones—he has multiple stones at times.

• Name That Tune says:

Yes, that is the cause, but the treatment remains the same. Pass the stone. If he’s had the condition since he was a child, this is not a new problem and he’s probably used to dealing with it. Also been told how to manage it. What we’re getting from Jimmy I is an EXCUSE for him to perform poorly, when it is a choice.
          “There are no conclusive data demonstrating a cause and effect relationship between alcohol consumption and kidney stones. However, some have theorized that certain behaviors associated with frequent and binge drinking can lead to systemic dehydration, which can in turn lead to the development of kidney stones.[13] The American Urological Association has projected that increasing global temperatures will lead to an increased incidence of kidney stones in the United States by expanding the “kidney stone belt” of the southern United States”

• Marsaili says:

So, basically, Global Warming is causing Phillip to have more kidney stones, which is affecting his performance and making people vote for him out of pity instead of by performance, directly affecting the career possibilities of the other contestants and generally making the whole show a farce. ;-)

• Mary B says:

Don’t forget he could also be bingeing on alcohol causing his illness.

• darcy's evil twin says:

How did we make the leap to P2 abusing alcohol?
            Oh well, that could explain that dreadful rendition of “Time of the Season”.
            Global warming, on the other hand, now THERE’S a credible explanation.

• deedee says:

A friend of mine is married to a guy who has this condition. They both have no life because he’s chronically sick and in pain. Wow. Poor Phil. I don’t like his music, but wish him well.

34. Name That Tune says:

I see a Joshua-P2 finale.

• deedee says:

You might be right – and it would be the most oddly matched finale ever.

At this point, I don’t believe P2 can LOSE, so it seems like a race for second place. I hope it’s Joshua – but I’d be happy with a Top 3 placement for him, too. I will be completely heartbroken if Josh is voted off before the hometown visits. Seems like a close enough race that anybody can be booted at any time — except Philip, of course. [The judges have tried to de-pimp Phil with shenanigans like introducing his GF; reminding us of how sick he is; not giving honest critique for “off” performances (to not rile up his voting fan base); and by giving Josh OTT pimpage. Those things obviously didn’t work last week, lol.]

35. Nodie says:

Well….I’ve never commented before, but, I just gotta lend my support to Phillip. Just a matter of taste. I like the music he picks, his musical style, the way he loses himself in his songs, his attitude, his vocals, the way he changes up song, etc. Do I think he has the most spectacular voice and range on the show? No. Does it matter to me? No. But then my favorite musician/ singers have unique, but not perfect voices (think Neil Young, Tom Petty, .Michael Stipe, and, yes, Dave Matthews). I also prefer musicians who are singer/songwriters over song stylists and Phillip is the only one left who will be that kind of artist.

36. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

This may sound totally irrelevant, but since everyone is talking about who’s album they would buy after the show, how each one is going to fare afterwards, etc., I thought it would be interesting to share this. Here is the complete list of all the American Idol finalists who have ever charted on Billboard. My challenge to you: Read the list, post your reactions (surprised to see anybody? shocked not to see someone?), and tell me how you think the Season 11 cast will fare on Billboard.

Season 1: Kelly Clarkson, Justin Guarini, Tamyra Gray, RJ Helton, Jim Verraros
    Season 2: Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken, Kimberly Locke, Josh Gracin, Kimberly Caldwell
    Season 3: Fantasia, Diana DeGarmo, Jasmine Trias, LaToya London, George Huff, John Stevens, Jennifer Hudson
    Season 4: Carrie Underwood, Bo Bice, Constantine Maroulis, Mario Vasquez *semifinalist dropout*
    Season 5: Taylor Hicks, Katharine McPhee, Elliott Yamin, Chris Daughtry (Daughtry), Paris Bennett, Kellie Pickler, Ace Young, Bucky Covington, Mandisa
    Season 6: Jordin Sparks, Blake Lewis, Melinda Doolittle, LaKisha Jones, Phil Stacey, Chris Sligh
    Season 7: David Cook, David Archuleta, Jason Castro, Brooke White, Carly Smithson (We Are the Fallen), Kristy Lee Cook, Michael Johns
    Season 8: Kris Allen, Adam Lambert, Danny Gokey, Allison Iraheta, Matt Giraud, Michael Sarver
    Season 9: Lee DeWyze, Crystal Bowersox
    Season 10: Scotty McCreery, Lauren Alaina, Paul McDonald (The Grand Magnolias)

• Sandi says:

I thought I had a pretty good Idol memory but who the heck is Phil Stacey? That one is gone from my memory bank.

CD’s I own: Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Carrie Underwood, Bo Bice, David Cook, Adam Lambert

CD’s I should own but never got around to it: Allison Iraheta, Carly Smithson, Crystal Bowersox, Casey James, Costantine Maroulis

For the future – Colton and Jessica ;)

• Sandi says:

Oh wait, my memory just kicked in. Phil Stacey was the bald guy!

And I forgot to list Daughtry among my “CDs I own”. :)

• Marsaili says:

Wasn’t Phil Stacey the dude in the Navy who took a leave to be on Idol?

• Paramour says:

I’m betting on Jessica Sanchez, Skylar, and Joshua

• Marsaili says:

That is impressive. I think everyone should read this before saying “where is so-and-so nowadays, they have done nothing since Idol.”

• deedee says:

Well, those people may have charted briefly, but only a small percentage of them actually still have a viable music career.

• Marsaili says:

No, that is not true at all–pretty much all of them are making a living with their music. They may not be at Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood level—but if they can make a good living, that is being a success. Many, many of them are on the country music circuit and all the ones that are, are very successful.

• deedee says:

Ok, I don’t know anything about the country music scene. My mistake.

I know a lot of Idols end up doing Broadway (Constantine, Diana Degarmo, Ace Young, Taylor Hicks, etc), and are having some success there. So, that’s something.

• Tarc says:

Actually a lot of the people from season 4 on down the list are making a living singing – over 75%. I think everybody listed from season 7-10 (except Michael Saver) have a current contract. The list also misses Haley Reinhard – who released her first album last month, and Casey Abrams, who was signed last month. Stefano just released a record as well.

• My Alter Ego. says:

Actually, Haley’s album hasn’t been released yet, but is coming out on the 22nd of this month. (And Casey was signed sometime last fall.).

• MA says:

I think it all depends on how we define success in music. If they’re making a living at music (and don’t have to teach or tend bar on the side…unless they want to), I consider them successful. As for owning their music, I’m really bad about that…I don’t buy a lot of music anyway. But I have most of Kelly Clarkson’s stuff, at least one Carrie Underwood and one Jordin Sparks song, a couple of Melinda Doolittle’s, Haley’s, and several of the songs Elise recorded this year. But I’d go see many of them play live. I totally forgot about Carly Smithson and Brooke White until I read this. I love Casey Abrams and am looking forward to what he does. I can usually find one person in a season that I really connect with, and one thing I like about this show is that it allows me to wade through all the ones I don’t connect with from the comfort of my living room. Otherwise, I’d have to go see a lot bad bar bands and open mic nights to find a couple of good ones, and even though I’ve done a lot of that over the years, I’m too old for it now. They often don’t start playing until midnight, and I gotta go to bed.

• MA says:

Oh! And I bought a couple of those songs Elise did with Justin Smith on itunes. I really like them, and they’re very different from how she sounded on Idol. Not gritty or growling (though I like that too); she’s got a really clear, beautiful tone on those recordings. And at least one is a rap song with her doing the…what do you call it? You know, the singing on a rap song, like the chorus? The bridge, or the…?? Anyway, they’re really nice.

• JC says:

I own all of Kelly Clarkson’s cds I love her she’s my ultimate Idol as in over all idol not just american idol idol. Allison Iraheta too her cd was just so awesome it should have gotten a gold record certification. I want to have Siobhan’s album but I just didn’t feel her record :)

• FreeHaley says:

James and Haley of Season 10 also charted (in the 30s).

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

This list was published last June, so I figured there would be more Season 10 names at some point. Thank you for the update, FreeHaley. And this news makes me happy; last year’s Top 4 kicked some serious butt :)

• Robin says:

I have most of Kelly Clarkson’s , most of Carrie, ALL of Daughtry and I have seen him 2 times, all David Cook, Kris Allen’s 1st CD…will get the 2nd being released on May 22nd and I have seen him in concert, I love Casey James’ CD, I have Allison’s CD and Carly’s (we are the fallen) CD, some from Jennifer Hudson, Elliot and Bowersox, Michael Johns and Brooke White, quite a bit from Jordan Sparks. Will they all be Kellys and Carries…I think not. But if they are making their music and living their dream…then good for them.

37. Paramour says:

Jessica sounded great but she looked like someone stuck 2 toothpicks in a twizzler and put it in platform stilettos. Yikes.

38. Paramour says:

I have watched most seasons and the only idol music I own (with my hard earned money) is Daughtry and Kelly Clarkson.

39. MA says:

Great Idology as usual. I laughed…I cried…I laughed. Hollie as Newt just slays me. “Eye-firmative!” I’m totally rooting for Hollie at this point. If she pulls off a win, I might actually stand up and cheer.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yea, I can’t help but root for Hollie. I love her voice and I’m a sucker for an underdog. Her “Bleeding Love” was just wonderful. And I personally loved the way she worked the stage on “River Deep, Mountain High”.
      At this point I’m undecided as to who should/will win. For pure vocal ability it’s Jessica, although I would never buy one of her CDs. For the old school showmanship and the “Can I get an amen, a Hell Yeah, and in the name of everything holy can I get a witness?” I love Joshua. P2 has had some good performances and I do like him despite his less than stellar performances last week. I guess I’ll just enjoy the ride.

• MA says:

Any of them could win, and it would be okay with me too. Like you say, they all bring something great to the table. But I also love an underdog, and I just really LIKE Hollie. She seems so sweet and fun and loving (the way she clung to Elise and Skylar after they were eliminated is just so…awww!), and her voice is lovely, and she’s gotten so much more relaxed and good at performing. She had real strut and swag on “River Deep,” didn’t she?! I feel like she kind of deserves to win for that, or at least come in second for “most improved.” Also, I’ve started reading her Twitter and she has a cute dog. I like pretty much anyone who loves her dog like a person.

• Marsaili says:

I so agree with you both! I’ve been rooting for her since Vegas—but she kinda got lost behind Phillip and Elise and Colton and Joshua for me. Then, as the favorites are thinning out, she explodes from the shadows, blowing me away. I know many people hated these performances, but I LOVED her Jesus Take the Wheel and Perfect—I listen to Perfect over and over again! If she were to come from behind and take this whole thing, I would be beyond thrilled—even though I am rooting for Joshua to win and have said that I’d be happy with any of the 4 remaining contestants winning.

40. darcy's evil twin says:

Just getting around to finally watching “Idology” – holy crap, The Beach Boys are on Jimmy Fallon singing “In My Room”. They look ancient. WTH did my life go? I hope I don’t look that bad. *sigh*
    LOVED Idology, as usual. thank you Mr. Slezak and Melinda (and Jason) for adding some joy to my week. Thanks for calling P2 on that very wonky performance of “Time of the Season”, thanks for giving Hollie and Jessica the credit the judges didn’t give either one of them, IMO, thanks for not saying Jessica looked like a hooker (poor kid – Jimmy Iovine should be ashamed), and thanks for being afraid for the over-praise for Joshua.
    I’m looking forward to the interviews with Elise and Skylar. The more I think about it, the more I think Skylar is one of those contestants I’ll enjoy far more post-Idol.

41. yeah says:

I”ve had my phil of Phil. Let’s pare down to the best singers left. Phil isn’t one of them.

• Dean Serra says:

If Phil can do something dramatically different other that ripping off Dave Matthews,then I would support him.However,he is still a pale imitation of the real thing.

42. You’re probally gonna hate me but I live not far from Phillip’s hometown so YES I’m a Phillip fan. GOOOOOOOOOOO Phillip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

43. Jo March says:

Phillip sucks; what is wrong with you voters?

44. Delanie says:

Joshua and Jessica are awesome singers, and if either one wins, I’m cool with that. But I won’t be buying their CD’s. I’ll be downloading and purchasing Phillip Phillips’ tunes. And I don’t agree with “heard one song, you’ve heard them all.” He’s a singer/songwriter and a really good musician to boot. I’m certain Phillip’s first CD will feature at least a few songs he’s written. Do you think Josh or Jessica’s CDs will feature music they’ve written? Nope! They’ll be interpreting or stylizing songs others have written. Not that that’s a bad thing!

45. Kacie says:

I think Phillip deserves to be in the top 2. I also somewhat like Joshua (less then I did in the beginning). Jessica is a good singer but, I just don’t care for her. I find her boring and almost seems like she is singing karaoke. she sings songs well but never makes it her own.

46. PFitzDC says:

Slezak, I adore you…but you are coming very close to a Randy Jackson level of contradiction with Phillip bashing based on his not singing the melody. Your castigating “The Letter” was the last straw for me. I mean, why is it okay for other artists to change up melody and tempo and make the song truly their own and not a karaoke version, but when Phillip does it, he’s taken to task for it? I’m not suggesting you have to like him or want him in the Top 3, but stay consistent with your own standards, will you?

47. PFitzDC says:

And, while I won’t deny that “Time of the Season” was painful, let’s all be honest–that chorus is just awful as written….it sounds crappy when the Zombies do it. Yes, Phillip should have tried manipulating it to suit his voice, but it’s just a very so-so song to begin with. The verses are sexy (what’s your name, who’s your daddy), but the chorus is bad no matter who is singing it.

48. OMG! are you people for real? This is a talent show and nothing more. Haters, racists? Just stop the bullcrap and vote based on who you feel is worthy enough to go all the way and win. For myself I cannot believe Hollie was kept and Skyler sent home. Hollie can barely hold the notes, pitch, or meaning of the songs she sings! She is BORING! as a performer. Sorry Hollie fans, just my opinion. As for the final two I’d like to hear Joshua and Jessica go head to head. Both are phenomominal talents. Good luck to whoever wins.

• Dean Serra says:

Joshua ,and Jessica should be the final two.No one really hates Phil,it is just that he sounds the same almost every week.Getting pretty old.He should have been gone weeks ago.