Report: Cougar Town May Relocate to TBS

Cougar Town is reportedly eyeing a fallback plan in the event ABC does the wrong thing and cancels it.

According to our sister site Deadline.com, TBS has been in preliminary talks with ABC Studios about picking up the wine-soaked comedy for a fourth season should ABC put a cork in it.

RELATED | Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 54 Big Finishes — Including Cougar Town!

A rep for TBS’ parent, Turner Entertainment Networks, would neither confirm nor deny the buzz, saying only, “Should the show become available, TEN looks at all opportunities presented to us that fit our brand.”

Of course, this will all be a moot point if ABC renews Cougar Town, which has managed to maintain a ratings pulse (albeit a weak one) despite a delayed third season and a less-than-compatible Last Man Standing lead-in.

1. As long as I can see it somewhere I don’t really care. I was thinking Netflix was an option as well.

2. michelle says:

I think it should move. At least TBS will treat it better than ABC.

• Tenney says:

Michelle… you posted the exact same thing I was going to post. With the way ABC has treated Cougar Town, you would think they want it not to succeed. Let it move to TBS, hopefully they will recognize what an awesome show it is.

• MIchael says:

Shows like FIrefly and Wonderfalls were mistreated. I don’t think that Cougar Town was. They were given the PIMP SLOT for a year after Modern Family and lost a huge portion of the audience and target demo. ABC needed to use that spot to jump start two new comedies. Cougar Town couldn’t hold its own, unfortunately.

I really do like the show but it wasn’t mistreated by ABC. Sorry. People just aren’t watching it.

• Kim says:

I don’t think “Modern Family” and “Cougar Town” have the same demographic. I am a 31 year old female, without kids, and I don’t really like “Modern Family” but I have played Penny Can. “Modern Family” you can watch with your family.

3. rod says:

great news !!!!. as long as Cougar Town gets another season, I dont care if its picked up by Nickelodeon

4. TV Gord says:

I’m thinking it’s a ploy to force ABC’s hand to renew it. It all depends on whether they want to lose one of its shows to another channel.

• ABC will still make money off of it. ABC Studio’s own’s it. Bill Lawerance has said that multiple time’s on his twitter. It’s the only comedy ABC own’s out right. They also own half of Happy Endings. It would just be like CBS airs Criminal Minds but ABC Studios owns it, House is shown on FOX but NBC owns it or at least half of it.

• JD says:

I love ‘Cougar Town,’ but just can’t with your grammar. I suggest whenever you think an apostrophe is necessary, do the opposite and leave it off.

5. Saint Alicia says:

This could be good for the show and it might end up with a longer life. NBC was dumb enough to let Southland go to TNT and it’s 5th season was just announced.

• Charlotte says:

Yes! This is just what I was thinking! SouthLAnd had good luck moving to TNT, hope ABC gets their act together and keeps the show or TBS shows them how to treat it right.

6. cc says:

ABC needs to renew it. They really handicapped it this season with the late start and its done pretty well considering.

7. Wade says:

Love this news! The show is way underrated and I would love to see it live on whether it be on ABC or TBS. It’s a shame how badly ABC has treated it, maybe TBS would actually appreciate this smart, funny and awesome show. Either way, I need six seasons and a movie!

8. Ana says:

As long as it gets renewed I will watch it wherever it is. ABC has not treated this show well at all. Maybe it will get some respect over at TBS.

9. theresa says:

I will follow the show wherever it ends up!!

10. Craig says:

Yeah ABC treated it so badly. Are you kidding? It had 2 seasons- 46 episodes behind their highest rated show and even then last seasons finale got a 2.0- behind a Modern Family that got over a 4.0. It was never gonna do better than that on Tue and ABC wasn’t expecting it too. But they were hoping it got more than a 1.3 and barely 4 million. I love the show but let’s be honest, it has a very niche audience. Going to a cable channel is a win for all. They don’t need to provide mega numbers and can possibly eke out enough eps for syndication which ABC profits. But let’s stop acting like ABC did it wrong. It’s called broadcasting, not niche casting. Before anyone cites Happy Endings or Apt 23 neither if those had 46 eps behind MF. When and if that happens and they get the same results you’ll see the same scenario

• Wade says:

All true, but the first three month hiatus ABC put it on really hurt the show as well. It pulled in high 2s in the demos before that break, and while I do understand that they needed to try other stuff to get better retention out of Modern Family (which didn’t work either), that break coupled with the long 9 month hiatus really hurt the show. If Happy Endings or Apt. 23 were put on a 9 month break and put elsewhere on the schedule they would have the same result as Cougar Town has now, if not worse. The fact is that the ratings for CT right now are purely circumstantial. If ABC had promoted the show this year, the ratings would be better. If ABC had given it a compatible lead-in the ratings would be better. If ABC had put it on in the fall alongside the rest of their fall offerings the ratings would indeed be better.

Happy Endings did better than Cougar Town in the fall mainly because Modern Family was stronger than ever (up at a 6.0 several times last fall). CT was horribly mismanaged, but as you said it has a niche audience, but so does Happy Endings and Apt. 23. Cougar Town did as well as Happy Endings did with a lower Modern Family (averaging a 2.7 out of Modern Family’s 4.0). ABC has to realize at some point that these shows just don’t work after the conservative, family friendly Modern Family, unless a 2 in the demos is acceptable following their only big hit.

11. Brady says:

“In the event ABC does the wrong thing…”

I love the unbiased reporting. Cougar Town is hands down one of the best shows on TV. And maybe now it will finally get that elusive title change?

• seattlemary says:

NOOOoooo, they can’t change the name…I love all the snarky comments that they insert during the opening credits. Though, I have to admit the name did turn me off of the show too, but all the buzz made me give it a chance last year and I’ve fallen in love with those crazy winos.

• tripoli says:

Agreed. I love the opening comments. Kind it so silly that people want a name change now. I get that it may not draw people in, based on that title, but it’s been around long enough for people to understand that it’s not the show it was in the early days. Can’t see how a name change at this point would do anything but hurt the show.

12. DreamRose311 says:

HAH! Oddly enough I read this while watching this past weeks episode…

13. Ken D. says:

They should just cancel it.

14. Clay says:

If it does move to TBS, I just hope it’ll be as good as it has been all season. TBS sitcoms aren’t known for their quality and I hope Cougar Town doesn’t get dragged down.

15. Juan says:

I will follow Cougar Town anywhere, its the funniest show and I love it.

16. Lana says:

But Canada doesn’t get TBS…how will I watch it?? :(

17. I dream of a world where Cougar Town and Community are together in an hour of awesomeness. In an ideal situation, both shows would jump to TBS and prosper. As The Game showed us, matching with your target demographic on a cable network can be monumental.

18. JJ says:

As long as Cougar Town stays on TV, I’m happy! I’d of course love to see 22 episode long seasons and don’t know how seasons really work on TBS, but if I get more Cougar Town, I am thrilled! Penny Can!

19. mandy says:

HECK YESSSS! If TBS picks up Cougar Town I will start to watch the other shows on that network just to show my love! ABC treated Cougar Town so horrible!

20. Ainav says:

Even if this doesn’t happen, I think it’s a good thing that a story like this is even out.
    I reckon it can give CT some buzz (it’s all over the TV cites) and maybe even push at least one of these networks to make the right decision and keep those grapes pounding.

21. matthew c says:

how many more episodes do they need to have enough for syndication?

• ChicagoDan says:

CT will have 61 episodes after this season (S1: 24, S2: 22 and S3: 15), so it needs a minimum of 19 to get to 80, though 88 is the generally accepted benchmark for comedy syndication. ABC Studios would be happy to get CT higher whether it’s on ABC or another network, then they can sell it elsewhere. The can’t do anything with it at 61, except for a low deal on cable.

22. bad kevin says:

Hope this isn’t the end for Cougar Town if ABC renews it for another season and not be moving to TBS.

23. George says:

TBS should try and pick up NBC Bent.

24. TRICIA says:

Can TBS afford Courtney Cox?

25. Blahblahforjj says:

I love this show!!! I’m having a marathon right now and this show should NEVER end :)

26. Steve Horvath says:

Blast all of you people! I came here to say how much I looove “Cougar Town” and all of you expressed it better than I could – I LOVE YOU COUGAR TOWN!

27. WeLovePennyCan says:

End Cougar Town and have a F.R.I.E.N.D.S Reunion Season 11 ;) lol

Joking if cougar town gets picked up for 4th season i will watch whatever channel it is on

PENNY CAN!!!!

28. militantgod says:

Every decent comedy since My Name is Earl that has been canceled has been “in talks” with TBS, only to never get picked up. I have zero optimism for this show going to TBS.

29. Abed says:

I hope this is true. I am stll devistated that the British version Cougarton Abbey was canceled too soon.

30. Tay says:

I don’t care where it goes either. I just wanna watch it.

31. paisley says:

I will DVR this show, no matter the channel, but it is more convenient for me to watch it in “real time” on ABC before DWTS. This show is so damn clever and sometimes catches me off guard with its sentimentality. Despite her heavily-botoxed face, Courteney Cox is a delight to watch as the insecure, but well-meaning, hip mom/Realtor Jules. Love Christa Miller and Busy Phillips and really all of the cast. Penny can!!!!!

32. Jamison says:

YES!!! I love Cougar Town! I would be thrilled to see at least 2 more seasons out of this show! It is so funny!

33. Shona says:

Great news, but haven’t the actors playing Grayson and Travis already booked new roles?
    Will they stay on the show or get written out? I would miss Trav and Laurie interactions a lot.

• TV Gord says:

They have committed to pilots, but it’s not a sure thing that those pilots will be picked up as series. If they are, and Cougar Town is renewed, they’ll have to decide which show to do.

• Juan says:

they are second position, so if cougar town gets picked up then, the pilots have to recast those rolls

Anyway as long as it gets renewed will def. watch

34. JAmandaFan says:

Yay! If it’s on TV–it gets my ratings! It is easily one of the best shows on TV!

35. shuayb says:

Bill lawrence could have avoided all this nonsense by doing two things:
    Sticking to the original premise of the show. It’s called Cougar Town but she is already in a relationship.
    They could have also had more guest stars from Friends. That would have boosted ratings dramatically.

36. alikatster says:

i would watch no matter what channel. LOVE IT!

37. tglass1976 says:

Does this mean the show might finally get that new title? “Tyler Perry Present’s Cougar Town!” :)

38. Mikael says:

I too will follow CT wherever it goes, as long as it keeps going! ABC doesn’t seem to treat that Wednesday night 9:30 slot right no matter what’s in it! I love Happy Endings too and its ratings slowly went down this season, probably because they put everything else on a major hiatus but kept showing new HE episodes. Then they push up the finale, again during a night of repeats, so they can force Apt. 23 on us. There’s still an episode of HE that hasn’t aired yet! I bet CT would do fine on Tuesday nights, if they moved Happy Endings and Apt. 23 over there. They go well together. Last Man Standing should go to Wednesdays. I’m sure TBS will treat CT well.

39. Velvet says:

I am so done with Cougar Town. If TBS picks it up it will tank even worse.