True Blood Season 5 Photopalooza: Chris Meloni, Cougar Town's Barb, a Super-Glam Pam & More

Get More: First Look

Det. Stabler is back, and he’s out for blood.

HBO has released a slew of fresh images from True Blood‘s upcoming fifth season, and included in the batch is a first look at Chris Meloni’s ancient/powerful vampire.

RELATED | What’s [Spoiler]‘s Top-Secret True Blood Mission?

Other new arrivals featured in the following photo gallery include  Cougar Town‘s Carolyn Hennesy, Spartacus‘ Peter Mensah and Italian actress Valentina Cervi.

True Blood‘s 12-episode run kicks off Sunday, June 10 at 9/8c.

Scroll through the pics and then hit the comments with your thoughts/theories.

Comments (55)

• I didn’t realize Carolyn Hennessy was going to be on this season!

Comment by melissa miller (@Serrae) – May 4, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Barb from Cougartown on True Blood is awesome. I can’t wait.

Comment by dan – May 5, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alistair! Wow!

Comment by ninamags – May 4, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, Christ, a kid vampire ancient? LOVE IT!

Comment by rednihilist – May 4, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was even better the first time… When Buffy the Vampire Slayer did it.

Comment by Nicotine – May 4, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except, as I said further down thread, Joss wasn’t the first guy to come up with the idea of a child vampire. If you’re going to accuse True Blood of not being original then you’ll have to accuse Joss of the same. Just ask Kirsten Dunst!

Comment by Vampire Facts R Us – May 4, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have you ever heard about a little book called “Interview with the Vampire”. There’s a child vampire: Claudia. In 1993, they made a film and Kirsten Dunst was Claudia.

Comment by Marina Sabino – May 5, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly!

Comment by Delece – May 5, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Being Human also did it last year. Aiden turned a kid that was about to die.

Comment by TheBeach – May 6, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Actually, “Being Human” UK, the original and very british series, did it 2 years before the american-canadian version. Mitchell, played by Aidan Turner(the Syfy vampire’s name is not a coincidence), reluctantly turned a teenager into a vampire in order to save his life…sort of.

Comment by lau – May 6, 2012 03:03 PM PDT
    • Really, I just hope the found a kid who can pull it off. I’ve seen too many “ancients” played by kids and teens who just don’t have the gravitas to sell that they’re as old and wise as they’re supposed to be.

Comment by wordsmith – May 5, 2012 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope it’s going to be Alexi from the Romanov ‘s that was a storyline from the books I thought had been abandoned .If so that kid has a lot to live up to! I HOPE it’s him! !!!

Comment by lil9th – May 5, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • coul the kid be a romanov? =P

Comment by fiona – May 8, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Meloni + Alexander Skarsgard = *swoon*

Comment by Lauren – May 4, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch this show but I would actually consider starting watching it just to see Chris Meloni.

I’ve missed him on my tv screen :(

Comment by Anna – May 4, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should because there is a good chance he might be a little naked too.

Comment by Russ – May 6, 2012 01:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Be careful coming in after so much has already happened in previous seasons you might get confused, LOL

Comment by Hyde – May 8, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SHIVA KAMINI SOMA KANDARKRAM!

Comment by Emma – May 4, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you just Shiva Blast in here?

Comment by Tom – May 6, 2012 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not realize Peter Mensah was in the upcoming season. Awesome!

Comment by Dave (@BCsDave) – May 4, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MELONI !!!

Comment by Wrstlgirl – May 4, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris. Mel. O. Ni.
    SWOON…
    and wtf is up w/ Lala’s hair. Damn boy, fix that weave.

Comment by Danielle H – May 4, 2012 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just said something similar! LOL

Comment by Hyde – May 8, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t know Christopher Heyerdahl was gonna be in this season

Comment by Isaac – May 4, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG thats who he is! I kept looking at the picture, trying to figure out where I know him from. Sanctuary!

Comment by Sloan – May 5, 2012 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kid vampire, slight Buffy Season1/Season2 ripoff, no??

Comment by Martin – May 4, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as I love all of Whedon’s work, giving Joss credit for coming up with the idea of a child vampire isn’t all that fair. It’s an idea that has been used multiple times in fiction over the years, including the movie Interview With The Vampire, from back in 1994. So if True Blood is ripping off Joss then Joss ripped off Anne Rice, no?

Comment by Vampire Facts R Us – May 4, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, Interview with the Vampire (the novel) came out in the 70s.

Comment by aleksa – May 4, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I know. I have a copy that dates back almost that far. But as we were talking about television I thought it best to limit the conversation to live action examples. Hence why I used the movie as an example, rather than the book.

Comment by Vampire Facts R Us – May 4, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know the focus is going to be on Meloni, but let’s just say it….

Peter Mensah: giggity.

Comment by aleksa – May 4, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DOCTORE!!!

Comment by espy88 – May 4, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No pictures of Tara. She must survive, because on IMDB the actress is shown working in episodes for this season.

Comment by tvdiva – May 4, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ghost or Flashback can also be credit worthy

Comment by Shaun – May 4, 2012 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dam does Christopher Heyerdahl look good

Comment by tlbrownlie – May 4, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m most excited about him being in this.

Comment by Sara – May 8, 2012 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lafayette looks upset :( awe I just want to give him a big hug. Poor guy lost his man now possibly his cousin. WTH… ahh I can’t wait is it June yet? …lol

Comment by S – May 4, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law & Order: Special Vampires Unit.

Comment by Michael Sacal – May 4, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see Chris Meloni on True Blood! I can’t even watch SVU w/o him, he is wonderful!

Comment by matt – May 4, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m always mad at the show about one thing or all of them but without fail I can’t wait for June!

Comment by Isabelle – May 4, 2012 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forever Knight had a story about a kid turned vampire back in the early ’90s – before Buffy/Angel was a glint. But I think Anne Rice even beat FK.

Comment by Wendy – May 4, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Technically not the same thing I suppose but Highlander the Series used a similar idea as well. An Immortal child, hundreds of years older than he appeared to be and ten times as dangerous. It’s definitely not an underused concept.

Comment by Vampire Facts R Us – May 5, 2012 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After all the fawning over the guys (not that I can blame you, ladies and gents) – can I just say that Lucy Griffiths looks pretty amazing, and Deborah Ann Woll looks even more adorable than usual.

Comment by wordsmith – May 5, 2012 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are child Vampire characters in the series of Sookie Stackhouse Books that the TV show is based on. Check it out!

Comment by Delece – May 5, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know he’s not pictured but I’m looking forward to Denis O’Hare coming back this season too.
    He is always a hot mess !

Comment by Lisa – May 5, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show & was happy about Chris being on it but so excited about Carolyn! Love her on GH & Cougartown. I would love to see her & Pam going at it, lol.

Comment by theresa – May 5, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris looks just like he did in SVU Guess being a vampre isn’t that far from his detective role LOL

Comment by pat ptacek – May 5, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares that there is a child vamp all shows/movies copy each other on things all the time. get over it. just hope its written well @@

Comment by Samantha – May 5, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like the first picture is Sookie driving Lafayette home after burying Tara and he is freak cause he knows that she hates vamps and doesn’t know how she will react to her being turned into one.

Comment by Russ – May 6, 2012 01:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was that Tony Todd (The Candyman), I saw in there? I love him! Can not wait for June 10th!!! Should be another fun year!!

Comment by KateDFW – May 6, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Lord wont the stylists of the show do something with Lafayette’s hair?! He’s supposed to be a young feisty gay man with style… not the little girl from The Crow. I seriously hate his hair last season and apparently this one too.

Comment by Hyde – May 8, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is the sharon Osbourne lookalike going to be?

Comment by Ciara – May 11, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season is gonna be interesting coz after book 4 I lost interest/read them so quickly they all melded together so I have NO idea what’s gonna happen.

Also, looks like they are *barely* following the books anymore anyway.

Comment by Tallulah Alice Mae (@Luvagoo) – May 13, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post