The CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries and 90210

Vampire Diaries RenewedThe CW has made its first scripted pick-ups for the 2012-13 TV season, granting early renewals to Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and 90210.

The Vampire Diaries will head into its fourth season, 90210 will return for its fifth and Supernatural will be entering its eighth. TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated.

Still awaiting official word on their fates at The CW are Gossip Girl, Nikita, The Secret Circle, Ringer and Hart of Dixie.

PHOTOS | Supernatural‘s Castiel Is Back… Again!

The Supernatural announcement doesn’t come as a huge surprise. Last month, it was reported that showrunner Sera Gamble would be stepping down to focus on development. Although the show had not yet been renewed for Season 8 at that time, a replacement — former co-producer Jeremy Carver — was already named, a good sign that the series would be back. Producer Todd Aronauer added fuel to the fire this Thursday morning by tweeting, then deleting, word of the show’s renewal.

VIDEO | Vampire Diaries: Klaus Plots His Mystic Falls Departure — But Not Without [Spoiler]

Supernatural‘s current season wraps up on May 18 and features a cliffhanger ending that leaves two fan faves in a very unexpected place. As for what the future holds, Misha Collins shared with TVLine that he’d like to return as angel Castiel.

“I have told [executive producer] Sera [Gamble] that I would love to come back next season if that is something that works out for everybody’s schedule,” he said. “If it’s in the cards, it would be great. I don’t know yet how things are going to play out.”

The CW also has several pilots under consideration for next season’s schedule, including Arrow, Beauty and the Beast (with Smallville’s Kristin Kreuk), First Cut (with The Good Wife‘s Mamie Gummer and Smallville‘s Justin Hartley), The Carrie Diaries and the Hunger Games-esque The Selection.

1. angelstorm says:

Come on CW, renew Nikita !!

2. Kristina says:

Good news about Supernatural. Surprising about 90210, not so much about TVD. Hoping for a final GG season and HoD pickup; don’t care about the rest.

• sarah says:

TVD is the top rated show on the CW so it is not a surprise at all! I am not surprised at 90210 either.

3. I really hope they renew Nikita, by far their best show.

Nikita fans, please sign the petition to save the show & tweet it to the network and studio: http://www.change.org/petitions/the-cw-television-network-renew-the-show-nikita-for-a-third-season

4. Beth Ann says:

Yay for 90210! I knew Vampire Diaries was going to get renewed but wasn’t sure about 90210.

5. Velvet says:

I want Misha back any which way.

6. Supernatural, ten seasons and a movie!

7. Velvet says:

Everyday I get my fix of Sam and Dean on TNT.

8. Velvet says:

I absolutely love the chemistry between Sam & Dean. It’s just so natural with a deep connection. I swear, I want to watch Supernatural forever.

9. Velvet says:

Last weeks Supernatural with Felicia Day was so fun. I haven’t had so much high anxiety in a long time. At every turn I thought Dick was going to chomp her.

10. ollie says:

yeah so happy about tvd and supernatural now if only ringer and nikita get renewed too

11. Fernanda says:

Why… Why 90210 gets more audience than Gossip Girl. The Gossip Girl characters are iconic but 90210’s are so boring, and predictable. Naomi’s character is the only reason that 90210 still exists, the rest sucks. Gossip have many lovers and haters but truly fans of Serena, Dan, Nate, Chuck and Blair.

12. Gerald says:

Great news on Vampire Diaries and Supernatural renewals. But looking for renewals of Nikita, Hart of Dixie and Secret Circle. But also looking forward to some of the pilots. CW really should go to 3 original hours a night. The “Older” demo they are chasing can have the 10pm hour shows :)

13. SarahW says:

So happy about early renewal for SPN. Although the last two seasons definitely haven’t been the best, I have hope for next season with Carver as showrunner. Now, fingers crossed for Cas coming back as a regular. One thing the last season have sorely been missing imo is other regulars for the boys to interact with, instead of just non-important secondary characters that we never see again. I love Sam and Dean, but they need others to bounce off on to grow as characters and I love Misha in all his incarnations. Oh, and bring back baby, too, please.

14. Ali says:

I have heard the cw may start doing 13 episode seasons like on cable so they can pick up more shows so maybe a lot more shows will get picked up

15. Adam says:

Since The CW have so many great new pilots maybe the clean house and does not renew any of the remaining shows? That would be a bold move! I am so freaking excited about 90210, it’s become so great!! And to all of you who says 90210 sucks, how do yo know the show sucks? Are you watching it any way? ;)

• guest says:

Ha Adam! I agree if people say a show sucks then do not watch it and do not comment on it. I do not watch Supernatural so I am not commenting on it! I am happy about TVD and 90210 and personally I want HOD, Ringer and TSC renewed too but I have a feeling that HOD will be cancelled and form what others have said on here in the past and other sites maybe Nikita. The CW has 6 pilots so I think they will bring in 3 of them and then only cancel 2 shows as OTH has already been cancelled. If GG gets a shortened last season then it can be split with ANTM. So then the would either cancel just 1 show or add another pilot. Last fall we just got 3 of the new shows (HOD, Ringer and TSC)so I think they will do the same this fall.

16. sarah says:

I am happy about 90210 and TVD!
    Well then next season should be the last for Supernatural too then!
    CW has 10 slots available, it has renewed 3 shows.
    I think they have 6 pilots: Carrie Diaries, Arrow, the Hunger Games one, First Cut, Beauty and the Beast, Cult.
    So I really do not see them picking up all 6 as they just picked up 3 last year. So with OTH having ended and Gossip Girl getting a shorter season like OTH did. The I think they will just cancel 1 or 2 shows.
    I predict they will be Nikita and Hart of Dixie.
    My prediction for next year:
    Monday Carrie Diaries (new) & First Cut(new)
    Tuesday 90210 and Ringer
    Wens Arrow (new)& ANTM (then in the new year they will air GG in ANTM’s place)
    Thur TVD and Secret Circle
    Fri: Cult (new)& Supernatural
    I do not think they will pick up Beauty and the Beast or the show that is supposed to be like the Hunger Games.

I watch HOD, 90210, Ringer, TVD and TSC and while in a perfect world they would all be renewed a couple shows will be cancelled so I think it will be HOD and Nikita.

• Xtine says:

I think that GG will get at least 13 episodes and Carrie Diaries will replace it after that, I honestly dont think Ringer will be back

17. M@ says:

I have come to the conclusion that those Nikita haters are just people who feel threaten by the greatness of this show. The show does get low ratings, but the writing and acting is outstanding, it could take out any of the shows in that network if it gets the proper promotion. So Nikita haters suck it the show is the BEST

18. Hannah says:

90210? I stopped watching it but I’m really glad about TVD and I hope Ringer gets renewed!!

19. Sam says:

I don’t understand why people watch 90210… It surely can’t be the writing or the acting.

20. Mh says:

“Nikita is a big international seller for the CW’s sister studio Warner Bros TV.”

per deadline, so this gives me hope!!

21. Out of the 3 new shows, Hart of Dixie deserve to be renew it was the only show that started with 1.80 million viewers and held it steady for more then half of the season. since its long break it has come back to less viewers but overrall it still doing way better then the Secret Circle which made making just 1 million for a month now and Ringer also started with 2 million but drop to 1 million and lower demos then HOD. so I believe HOD should be the only new show to be renewed and I watched all 3 shows but the most deserving of a season 2 has to be Hart of Dixie.

BTW I barely could stand this season of 90210 but I am happy it got renew and hope maybe this could be the final season

Gossip Girl should get a final season as well, i stopped like in season 3 but I think it should get a final season

22. Giovanni says:

I have watched 90210 several times to give it a chance and seriously, it sucks. And for all the fans offended by this comment… it’s my opinion, deal with it.
    And I heard that The CW does want more adult audience so I think that the will cancel a lot of shows this season. Opposite of an earlier comment, I think that the shows that will get renewed will be Hart Of Dixie or/and Nikita (The Secret Circle is also a posibility). On the other hand, agreeing with the same comment I also heard that they will do 13-episode seasons so I think (AND HOPE) that Gossip Girl will be one, I loved GG, but it has gotten so crappy, even fans of the show know it, so it will be good if they wrap up with a 13 episode season, but if it gets cancelled like officially, I will be glad. I feel like it’s just a waste of space.
    Also, I heard that the pilot that already got picked up is The Selection. (The Carrie Diaries is also a pretty sure thing), i’m rooting for those 2 and also for Cult, I don’t give a sh*t about Arrow, or Beauty and the Beast. Shelter might be cool, but who knows…

23. Sam says:

Did you hear that? That was the entire 90210 cast crying. Poor souls, they’re trying to get off the show so bad.

24. bad kevin says:

Hope Season Eight of Supernatural may end up being its last.

25. buffy says:

Im totally pyched about supernatural & tvd, but 90210?? Really?! I think id rather suffer thru the secret circle than 90210!

26. haley says:

90210? SERIOUSLY? who watches this crap?

27. David says:

RENEW Nikita!

28. David says:

90210 WTF

29. connie says:

Please Please Please bring back Misha as Cas! I dont whether it every show or not! Please bring him back!

30. Fred says:

Extremely glad for Supernatural, I just really hope it does’nt end on season 8, now that they got a new staff, they should be around for two more seasons, I mean, you’re not hiring a new staff for just one season, that would be ridiculous. I want Cass and Bobby on season 8, and the Impala of course. I can’t to see how Jeremy will handle season 8, I got my faith on him to make it a GREAT season.

31. caro says:

c´mon people, 90210 is cheap…ringer with sarah, ioan and all cast is expensive…=/ I like both shows but ringer should be on cbs, like how were to be, sorry for the bad english

32. CJ says:

Nikitaaaaaaaaaa

33. Question says:

Has anyone else been wondering what effect, if any, Sarah Michelle Gellar’s pregnancy may have on Ringer’s (slim) renewal chances?

34. portiaslegacy says:

Two things :
    Is Cult no longer an option as a new series? I was really looking forward to it.
    Second I suspect Gossip Girldelay is about the change in show runners

35. Brandy says:

Nikii, Nikita has had four 0.4s with the likleyhood of a total of seven 0.4 at seasons end Skye’s, the 0.4 is now Nikita’s average and now an accurate description of Nikita’s average ratings.

• Brandy says:

The word Skyes isnt supposed to be there,darn tablet.

• Yeah... says:

It’s really not though, because of how the CW evaluates their programming. They take into consideration the total (live) viewers, online viewing, website traffic, DVR viewing, and overseas sales – a category in which Nikita is very strong. Combine that with low Ringer ratings and a Sarah Michelle Gellar pregnancy, and Nikita most certainly has a leg up over it.

36. Cee says:

Yay TVD and 90210!

37. Fabe says:

Come on! Mention that Joey Dakota is under consideration. If you create buzz, it gives the show a better chance!

38. Liz says:

I really hope Hart of Dixie gets a 2nd season. It’s my favorite show on The CW.

39. Jones says:

HART OF DIXIE! PLEASE!

40. Ella says:

Yay for Supernatural!!! I hope it gets 10 seasons and a movie and that Misha/Castiel comes back on a regular basis :) 90210 was good in season 2 when the show was rebooted but has steadily been going downhill since the break-up of Liam and Naomi and absolutely no decent storylines aside from Naomi’s rape at the beginning of season 3. Since it’s renewed, I really hope the showrunners sort out the kinks and take a page from the original renaissance of the show, bringing back core couples and deeper storylines. I am fed up of Naomi, the only good thing about the show, being paired up with ridiculous guest stars. Liam has no chemistry with anyone else and I’m not sure why they keep forcing him with Annie and Silver. Liomi FTW!

41. TheLonelyPlace says:

Hart of Dixie, Nikita and Gossip Girl better be renewed. It wouldn’t hurt if they do renew TSC too.

42. Jenny says:

Cant believe they picks up 90210, that is pure bs

43. BL says:

So these three combined with ANTM they have six slots. I can almost guarantee that GG will get a shortened final season (possible mid season replacment or even summer). I bet HoD will get picked up and they’ll have room for 3 of the new shows (Please pick Cult and Arrow- they do star CW vets after all).

44. Mai says:

Very happy about Supernatural, I love Sera but I am looking forward to seeing what Jeremy Carver does with the show. I’m not at all interested in seeing Castiel again but I hope Bobby is back next year. And Sheriff Mills also. Also chuffed to bits about TVD and I’d like to echo the comment earlier about having Elijah back as a regular next year. This season with Elijah, Klaus, Rebekah etc has been fantastic. The whole Damon, Elena, Stefan love triangle stuff has been getting tedious and soap opera-y but The Originals storylines have been fabulous.

45. Amy says:

I watch TSC and HOD, so I’d like them renewed. Though I’m always saddened when fans lose their favourite show so I can’t wish for something else on the bubble to go. However it would be nice if they canned ANTM to save one of these shows – reality might be cheap but Tyra and her cray-cray just aint what it used to be.

46. RENNY says:

new info,first heard it from here.GG is coming back for the final season,HOD is renewed for second season and all Ringer fans start biddin farewell and as for TSC its still in the air….

47. Lynn says:

90210????? Seriously???? Ringer BETTER return for season 2 or I am COMPLETELY done with the CW………..PERIOD!

48. Emily says:

Happy to hear that Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries both got renewed.
    If Gossip Girl gets another season (let’s face it, it probably will), I’m hoping it will be the last. The show is just plain ridiculous now.

49. Jake says:

I bet Ringer gets canned as well as Heart of Dixie and GG..They probably will keep Nikita.

50. Kakan says: