The Vampire Diaries Finale First Look: What's Alaric Hiding?

Alaric’s reign of terror will continue into next Thursday’s season finale of The Vampire Diaries, and we’ve got a sneak peek at the scary conclusion.

VIDEO | Vampire Diaries: Klaus Plots Mystic Falls Departure — But Not Without [Spoiler]

After checking out the following photos from the May 10 episode (The CW, 8/7c), titled “The Departed,” we have three questions:

1) What’s in the storage locker, Alaric?
2) Is that Stefan and Elena scene in flashback or present time?
3) Who’s on the phone with Damon?

Check out the gallery, then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. lei says:

Am I the only one who thinks Elena will choose not Stefan or Damon but Matt instead? We already had him saying basically that he will always be in love with her, Caroline telling him to stay away from her, and now in the season finale, we get a flashback to see how they were together? Really hope I’m wrong.

In other relater comments.. Alaric is preety much a goner this season right?

• I don’t know if she would choose Matt (or at least I hope not) What I really see her doing is choosing to focus on herself instead of choosing either Damon or Stefan. Yeah it’s kind of a cop-out but it would make sense considering she is looking at what her life has become and may feel that she needs to be by herself without having to worry about her feelings for Damon/Stefan.

• Josh says:

Ditto! Let’s have next season(or at least half it) of Elena by herself, not being torn between one or the other. Mighty just being friends with both, going on a date or two herself just for fun. Just living life.

• Russ says:

I would like Elena to be by herself and then possible date someone who isn’t a “tortured” vampire.

• MusicGrrrl says:

Why can’t she be with Damon for at least one season! The one kiss a couple of episodes doesn’t equal them being together. Stefan just bores me to death. And I wish Caroline would wake up and choose Klaus.

• rachelleet says:

Klaus? Ewww

• lila says:

I agree :) damon and elena r meant for each other!

• jag says:

Amen to that… Damon has more flare and excitement than Stefan. Elena’s character is becoming more interesting and compelling with Damon than with Stefan.

• Alex says:

Klaus and Caroline. Could not agree more.

• tamiko flowers says:

exactly.. good to see that someone agrees with me. Yeah a few episodes by herself might be ok. but she gotta be with damon a while. but if she can be with damon…. i would rather be alone for a while. stephan is a bore… even when he was bad…. i didnt want him for elena. and yess Caroline… give klaus a chance.

• dude says:

I’m going to say no only because Julie Plec said that if both Matt and Rebekah survive the finale (which I’m pretty sure they will) their relationship will be explored.

• Russ says:

I hope Rebekah survives but I read (possible on this site) that Alaric runs into Rebekah and Caroline while they clean up the gym from the dance, if she doesn’t die then then I think (and pray) that she possible be safe.

• Spoiler Junkie says:

I really hope Rebekkah survives the finale. I love her character. She’s both evil and vulnerable.

• rachel says:

i agree… in the long run if she wants to be an ordinary girl in the end she is best choosing Matt… because she couldnt have a real relationship with either one of them unless she was a vampire..if not now then definitly in the end….

• Mandy says:

In the promos that i have seen it shows Matt going over the edge of a car with Elana in it. I think what happens is Elena chooses Matt over the hotties but he ends up getting killed in a car crash…hence why the beginning of the next series (I have read somewhere) is back to basics or something. It is like the beginning when Stefan saves her from the car with her parents but this time it is with Matt in the car instead of her parents.

• Mandy says:

sorry I am tired lol…that was meant to read In the promos that I have seen it shows Matt and Elena going over the edge of the bridge in a car (the same bridge that Elenas mum and dad went over).

2. Sally says:

I think her with stefan is like a flashback after he saved her because in the pics for the next episode you see her with her mum and dad and she’s wearing the same outfit also the synopsis says both the brothers leave and Elena calls one of them Damon is on the phone

• Ari says:

I think this is a possibility. Maybe it’s Stefan after he saved her and he’s compelling her to forget him. It looks like he’s compelling her the way he’s holding eye contact like that.

• Pam says:

The color of the wall of the room behind them looks like the color of the paint Elena and Jeremy were painting with on last night’s show. Also, I didn’t think Elena could be compelled?

3. Michelle says:

I actually think the last photo might be her and matt. the clothes look similar to the ones theyre wearing in the photgraphs before.

4. About the Stefan & Elena picture: It’s definitely PRESENT DAY, because they are inside her house, where Stefan couldn’t enter in the pilot until Elena invited him (last scene of the episode)! ;)

• Marie says:

Well, if it were after the death of Elena’s parents, the owners of the house would be dead and therefore he would have been able to enter.. In the pilot, the house should have been in Jenna’s name as a tutor requiring Elena to invite him in so he can enter again..

• Russ says:

Well if it is in the past he could compel someone to let him and and then erase there memory. because he is either going to kiss her or compel her and she isn’t wearing her necklace in the cheerleader photo.

5. tanner15 says:

STELENA!!!!!!!! I hope to God it is PRESENT DAY!!!!
    :))))

6. Josh says:

Ergh fears realized. Alaric is the Big Bad and we’re stuck with Klaus after year.

7. She will choose no of them. She’ll realised how much simpler her life was before the Salvatores Bros. came in, and will choose that path again. Of course in season 4 she’ll realised she nedds, and everything will start again…

PS: sorry for my english

8. lorna says:

Do not like what they did to my Alaric :( They always eff over my faves….Vicki, Lexi, Mason…Jenna/Ric were my fave couple.

9. Mars says:

The picture with Elena and Stefan: it may be during the same day her parents died and he saved her life–she invited him in her house and then he made her forget something. In the pic it looks like he’s doing his “brain control” on her to help her forget something…something we won’t know until we watch!

10. Interesting to see flashbacks to Matt and Elena’s dating. I doubt she’d “choose” him right now, but again, I see that as an endgame possibility. I also don’t feel like Elena’s going to “choose” to be with anyone right now. Stefan has done too much damage lately, and she keeps going back and forth on her feelings for Damon. As for Alaric, I don’t like evil!vampire version. :( I want normal Alaric back.

• casey says:

What real damage has stefan done? He was compelled to do most of the stuff that was wrong towards elena the bridge thing was the inbound thing really wrong that he has done to anyone! Whereas Damon has killed her brother, killed alaric twice, killed Lexi, almost killed bonnie, turned bonnie’s mom, effs whoever is around and/or drinks and pouts when he doesn’t get his way, and the list goes on….after all that how could anyone want her to be with Damon? I get ppl think he will be better man with her but if that is true why can’t he be that way all the time…plus how boring would he be?

11. X2 says:

I don’t want Damon and Elena together, Damon deserves someone that will ONLY love him.

• I’m so with you on that point! Damon needs someone who will only love HIM! Perhaps the new blood will do that? Or maybe Meredith? I think I read somewhere they might become drinking buddies. That has me thinking Elena would not choose him, cause why would he drink again so much if he’s got the girl?
      As for Elena turning into a vampire… I don’t know. I don’t think it will happen soon, but I do think that since she’s a supernatural being in the end (the doppelganger and all), she might eventually realize turning would be better, but not yet. She’s lost enough. In the end though… I think she’ll turn, but not like in the books.
      I’m rooting for Elena and Stefan. I’ve always liked them as a couple and I still think they can make it work. As for the photo, I’m convinced that’s Elena and Stefan in the present day. Looking at Stefan’s back, I think I saw it exactly that way in an older episode, different setting. Not sure which episode, though, but it’s definitely Stefan and Elena. I think Present day, a little after the decade dance. Perhaps Stefan’s assuring her she’s still got something to live for and she’s got someone she can depend upon and take care of her and Jeremy, like he did at the end of decade dance episode. I’m guessing it could be part of a growing to a more adult life (university and such?)
      I do NOT think that it’s after her parents died. True, the original owners of the house might be dead, but in the episode where Stefan was trapped in the vampire house, Damon asked the human house owner if she had any remaining relatives left before he killed her, otherwise he couldn’t come in. To me that means that although a will might not have been executed yet, the protection remains as long as there are family members left.
      Then again…. Why did the protection from the Boarding House go away while Jeremy was still alive? That would contradict the above… Hmmm…..
      Elena and Matt is something tested and gone. Elena said it herself in episode 1 or 2 (I think) of season 1, explaining her relationship with Matt to Stefan (something about two friends from the beginning just having to test it, but it didn’t work out. Don’t remember the exact words she used). I CAN however, see Matt and Rebekah together. They make a cute couple. Now let’s hope Vampiric Alaric isn’t going to kill her.
      Speaking of Vampiric Aleric…. I’m interested to see how everything turns out with him. Two baddies on opposing sides…… That could be fun!
      @minxie18 Elena saying she’s chosen but getting to see the choice in season 4 could be a great cliffhanger. At the same time… there’s the whole Klaus/Alaric that has to be dealt with. I can imagine that Elena making her choice AND voicing it BEFORE the whole deal goes down.

Well, that’s it….

12. Kathleen says:

Am I the only one that thinks it’s Klaus in that last picture? Compulsion/Present Day, yes, but I don’t think it’s Stefan…

13. Erin says:

Maybe she’s saying goodbye to Stefan because she’s chosen Damon! One can hope…

14. Shuayb says:

I think that Elena will end up with Matt too. Elena will never choose vampirism and unless the writers decide that they will use the story in the book where Damon eats something that makes him human then Matt is her only chance at happiness. Damon and Stefan will live forever and Elena will die.

15. Molly Brown says:

Firstly. If Elena chooses neither brother, I’ll be so disappointed in the writers. Its such a cop out, and doesn’t move the show anywhere, because she wasn’t really “involved” with anyone this season. Second. I don’t think she’ll choose Matt, because Julie plec has said that Elena will remember that while life was supernaturally simpler back then, she and Matt were not the perfect couple, and she had drama of her own to deal with. Thirdly, Elena is wearing her necklace in the photo with Stefan, so it is present day. I think the fact that she is not hugging him, or looking lovey-dovey means she is not choosing him (yay! Sorry I’m a delena fan.) the fact that Damon is on the phone made me excited at first, but then he didn’t look like he was in any hurry to go off and save Elena. So, I think it’s all up in the air at this point. Here is my hypothesis which I have no evidence for, and which would be extremely cool if it actually happened. I think Elena will call Stefan, he’ll come help her out, while Damon finishes up whatever they were doing. But she realizes at the end she can’t be with him because at this point in her life she needs to be with Damon. Then Stefan says its ok, and he’ll wait for her. I imagine this is what is being said in the picture with her and Stefan. In any case I really don’t think the brother she calls will be the one she chooses. That seems like something that will happen in the last 2 minutes of the show. Wow. That was a loing comment…

16. Maryam says:

Can Elena please choose Stefan and sail off to denial land with him. I just want Damon to move on and be happy with someone who only loves him!

17. rachel says:

i reckon she will choose to go with klaus… to save everyone… and in doing so, itl save both salvatore brothers… i reckon damon is on the phone to Alaric or he is talking about Alaric, because they were so close and now thats all down the drain… and the photo of Stefan and Elena definitly looks like he is compelling her… it does sort of make me think he is compelling her to choose Damon… or begging her not to go with Klaus??… i also agree with the comment that Damon deserves to be with someone that loves only him!!

18. Lana says:

Jenna!!!!!! <3

19. minxie18 says:

Since I’m 90% sure that Elena is going to be turned in the finale… I think she will indeed make a choice between the brothers, finally. But, she’ll be turned quickly after in whatever way (unwillingly), and so her romantic life will go on the back burner (which will carry over into season 4). It essentially won’t matter if she makes a choice between them because ‘everything will have changed’, ‘all bets will be off’, etc.

Also, has anyone considered the possibility that JP saying Elena will ‘choose’ could be misleading? We might get something where Elena does in fact make her choice like JP says, but we as the audience don’t find out who until season 4. We might get a scene with her saying she’s made her choice,only for something to happen that interrupts her (like, say, getting turned unexpectedly, or just any kind of catastrophic event happening that distracts Elena).

20. wanda says:

Elena will choice Stefan and of course long to be with Demon. I think that’s Matt in the last photo.

21. alllovenoh8 says:

@minxie18 Julie Plec clearly stated the season finale will not end with Elena turning into a vampire and Team Stelena there obviously the better choice because Elena and Stefan are more compatible in many ways where as Damon is just causing more turmoil in her life and I believe the only reason Elena wants him is because of her pity for him and some of the good things hes done but I think we’re all forgetting key events that Damons done he KILLED her brother Jeremy, Alaric (god knows how many times?) Uncle John, Vicki, Lexi turned Isobel and Abbey Bennet….He’s RECKLESS to me he doesn’t think of any of the consequences of his events.

To be honest I don’t think she’ll choose either of them I know I wouldn’t

22. Cemre says:

2) Absolutely flashback.
    Elena never looks that dazed normally, Stefan is tempering with Elena’s memory, probably erasing himself

23. i just wanna know when elana will finally become a vampire

24. Kate says:

Ok… I just have a question, please don’t attack me… All you Delena fans… Do you all truly want Elena to be with Damon because he’s the better choice or because Damon is played by Ian Somerhalder?

• tamiko flowers says:

well. a little bit of both. mostly because damon spices up her life. almost like giving it purpose. but being that the handsome Ian is playing Damon is a plus….. a BIG plus.

25. Pam says:

I’m drawn to Damon’s “bad boy” personality, his wit, sense of adventure and the fact that he’ll grab the bull by the horns and do what has to be done because it has to be done. It most certainly doesn’t hurt that Ian Somerhalder plays Damon – and he sure looks good in that leather jacket . . . .

26. Alex says:

So… does anyone know if Klaus will be back in the finale? I SO want him to be a regular. It would just great if he could still be a baddie, but a settled baddie – and perhaps they could bring in someone worse than Klaus for Stefan/Damon/Elena to battle in season 3.

27. Samantha says:

No, I don’t want Delena because of Ian or even because he’s with Nina in real life. I don’t care about any of that. I think both Ian and Paul are both attractive hot men and I also like both characters. I just think Damon has more chemistry with Elena and Stefan has more with Katherine if that makes any sense. Damon is also one of my favorite characters because he’s fun and the bad boy vamp and the one liners as well :)

28. Samantha says:

I hope Klaus returns as well Alex. I want him to be a regular as well as Rebekah love those two characters. I also hope to see more of Jeremy next season because while I love the main 3 I just hate that the others aren’t on every ep and you go eps before seeing them

29. Bridie says:

with regards to the photo of elena looking dazed at stefan, look at her clothes she is wearing what she wore in 3×21 the purple cardi etc. as well there is a page on FB called tvd addictions – elena chooses a slavatore 100% not matt :D

30. Kaeleen says:

ELENA NEEDS TO BE WITH DAMON. I could write an entire novel on all the reasons why they are supposed to be together. <3

31. Kate says:

I think Matt is gonna die because I read everywhere that its gonna be shocking and Alaric dying is too predictable. Tyler and Caroline will stay on the show because they both signed on for another season both I don’t think they are gonna stay together :( Elena I think is gonna pick Damon for a shock factor. Klaus will definitely be back and I think he is gonna save Elena from the river and leave with her thats where the “departed” come in