Exclusive

Shocker: HBO Passes on The Corrections

In a surprising move, HBO has decided not to move forward with its starry series adaptation of The Corrections.

The cabler made the decision after viewing the pilot, which boasted an enviable cast including Ewan McGregor, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Chris Cooper and Dianne Wiest.

Based on the acclaimed Jonathan Franzen novel, The Corrections centers on an elderly Midwest couple (Cooper and Wiest) and their three children who look back on their lives together from the mid-20th century to their final Christmas.

Noah Baumbach (The Squid and the Whale) directed the pilot and co-wrote the script with Franzen.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News

1. PhillyWings says:

Bummer — I only have HBO.
    Now watch it land on Showtime.

2. kavyn says:

I guess there wasn’t enough boobs in the pilot :P

3. Susan V says:

Boo, HBO! I loved that book and I love Ewan McGregor and that would have been great!

4. Velvet says:

Well, it sounds boring.

5. Leah says:

They passed on Ewan McGregor? Fools! Will it end up somewhere else now?

6. Danielle H says:

Well… maybe it sucked? Just because there’s a couple big names in something doesn’t mean it is going to be great. I only get HBO right now for True Blood during the summer anyway.. and if this season isn’t better I’m stopping that too!

7. Ahs says:

Smart move. “The Corrections” was a depressing version of “All in the Family.” I can’t imagine people wanting to see a depressing soap opera about a bitter, mean old man and his screwed up family.

8. John Berggren says:

This isn’t the first time. I’m still surprised they didn’t give “12 Miles of Bad Road” a shot – especially since they had a bunch of episodes in the can.

9. Minnie says:

I wanted Ewan on my television. Potentially naked. This sucks.

10. Nicole says:

Franzen is wildly overrated, HBO made a good call.

11. Harper says:

That’s too bad; I was really looking forward to that. Incredible cast.

12. ilny83 says:

HBO also passed up on a Sarah Michelle Gellar series a few years back called The Wonderful Maladys.

13. Anna says:

Maybe it was really bad?
    Otherwise it could be another “Mad Men” for HBO.

14. Martim says:

Will it go to another channel? With a cast like that I’m sure there are lots of channels into it..

• John Berggren says:

That is unless members of the cast won’t work the project on another channel. HBO still has more cachet for big Hollywood stars than *any* other network.

15. Superhero says:

On the one hand, it IS very surprising to see them reject a show with that kind of cast. Still, it would’ve been a very difficult adaption to do properly, and I’m not sure four seasons of ten hourlong episodes of television were the proper way to do it. If anything, I think it would’ve worked better as a miniseries. So it’s a bit of a disappointment that we won’t get to see what those actors could’ve done with those characters, but ultimately I don’t think it’s a devastating loss. And they have that new cop show to take Luck’s place come January, so schedule-wise they’re fine.

I do hope that HBO can get McGreggor to work with them again, though. I’d love to see him in one of their drama series.

16. withoutacape says:

Yeah, HBO aren’t stupid. If they saw a hit it would have been picked up. Obviously something didn’t click.

• Tania says:

Really withoutacape? FYI: HBO turned down Mad Men. AMC picked it up. The rest as the saying goes is history. HBO is not perfect . Here’s hoping that Showtime picks it up.

17. Hershon says:

But they green lighted and renewed “Girls” the worst TV Series ever with the ugliest female cast ever. Executives should be drug tested!

• Tania says:

There are all kinds of wrong with your comment. In fact, it speaks negatively about you.

• YowzaPowza says:

Drug tested? Really? Girls is a fantastic show. Clearly you watched about three and half minutes and turned it off because you didn’t have any masturbation material. Which is actually strange considering two out of the four leads are quite stereotypically very pretty, while the other two are just fine very realistic portrayals of all different types of, ahem, girls. Fool.

18. Kristin S. says:

I like the show, “Girls”!

19. susela says:

Good! Here’s hoping it’s picked up by a non-premium cable channel.

20. JJ says:

It’s amazing that they renew Girls which is without question the worst show in cable television history and pass in this.

21. S says:

I guess there weren’t enough children of semi-famous people featured in it.

22. Behzad says:

Meanwhile, they picked up a show with the unwatchably bad Matthew McConaughey in the lead.

23. YowzaPowza says:

Very interesting that they passed on this but decided to move forward with that horrible sounding Matthew McConaughey show. This seems to have a much longer life to it than a single stand alone mystery a la The Killing. But who really knows? It all looked great on paper. Maybe the end result just wasn’t that good. Either way, I’d love to be able to find this online at some point.

• Tony H. says:

I’ll be honest…Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson in an HBO series playing cops sounds far more interesting than the show they just canned.

24. They should just bring back Oz. That’s what I want to see

25. coord38n27w says:

HBO targets the hipsters and the wannabe hipsters (all 850 000 of you that watch Girls). Would the hipsters and wannabes watch a show about a old couple in the Midwest? Not even if Maggie Gyllenhaal was in all the scenes it could get all the 850 000 wannabe hipsters to watch.

26. Sam says:

I’m really shocked they’d pass on a show with a cast like this but the premise sounds mindnumbingly boring so that might be why. I think “True Detectives” with McConaughey and Harrelson sounds fantastic though!

27. zakspeak says:

It could also be $$. McGregor + Gylenhall + Cooper + Weist + Franzen = big money. Add potentially low ratings due to the subject matter into the equation and their decision makes more sense.

28. Mike says:

Stellar cast except for Maggie gaggenhaal – ms plastic surgery victim