Idology: Hollie Rising, Elise Exiting, Phillip Coasting, and Skylar...Conquering Outer Space?

We’re down to just five contestants on Season 11 of American Idol, and even though one of ‘em isn’t Elise Testone, the show must go on*. On this week’s Idology, Season 6 standout Melinda Doolittle and I discuss the surprising rise of Hollie Cavanagh and what that means for her female competitors Jessica Sanchez and Skylar Laine; the Terminator-like march of Phillip Phillips; the nonstop standing ovations for Joshua Ledet (and why they make us nervous); and the fact that the judges are now advancing their collective agenda not with their words, but with the tones of their voices. (* Trademark: Skylar Laine)

Plus, we’ve got cameo clips from Community, Aliens, Buffy, and Twin Peaks, as well as what has to be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever said in front of a video camera (even if it’s totally true). Watch for Melinda’s “????” facial expression after you press play below, and enjoy! And for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Lois Benton says:

Hollie is still around because her voice is just as good as Jessica’s, she’s cute, Joshua’s and Skylar’s friend, and, perhaps most importantly, she has announced no alter ego. Jessica will still probably outlast her, particularly if she finds that get-down attitude she had in Las Vegas. And, while I like Skylar well enough, Michael, Michael. “The Show Must Go On” is the performance of the season? Because you’re so impressed she hit the high notes? When Jessica, Hollie and Joshua could have hit those notes with more ease? That song wasn’t even the song of the night. Middle of the pack, I’d say.

• MamaLis says:

When I was watching those “Still Rolling” videos it occurred to me… hasn’t Hollie been in the Bottom 3 like, every week of the Top 10??

• FreeHaley says:

no the week after she got slammed thw rose she evaded the bottom three and it was joshua, elise, jessica i think??

2. noa says:

oh no! i have to share this with you all:

Elise hates having the words behind her… don’t tell Jason!

• noa says:

it’s in the very end of this (really great and over 10 minutes) interview.

• MamaLis says:

Oh that’s too funny!!! Cool interview though. Thanks for the tip!
      (of course, not nearly as cool as Michael’s will be, right? ;)
      (oh – and did they ever say she had a DEGREE in music on idol??? Cause I missed that…..??!)

• MA says:

Aw, noa…I love this!!!! There are so many reasons, but I’m going to lead with this: My god…she is SO SMART. You know, I’ve read a lot about how people who really love music and are good at music actually have their brains wired differently than the rest of us and what/how they hear is processed totally differently. You can actually see that in this interview when she’s listening to herself. It’s like you can see her thinking. Very, very cool. And on a totally shallow note, she really looks beautiful. What is that shirt she’s wearing and where can I get one??

• noa says:

she really did look great in this one. the makeup was flawless. i think it’s the shirt she wore on the results show for top 7 redux night. so i guess it came from the Idol stylist. you can ask her on twitter! i loved the whole “i’m in love with music” part. it’s like it takes so much space in her life and in who she is, there’s no room for anything else. i believe that about her. still can’t get over that last part about the words on the screen. made me laugh :)

• MA says:

Oh yeah! It is that shirt! I really liked it then too. The color and fit are just perfect.
          ***
          Anyone who loves music and her dog more than guys is okay by me.

• noa says:

i guess orange is her color! oh, MA, did you watch the top 6 style video on americanidol.com? she ended it with “and no, Elise’s dress doesn’t come with a wind machine”….
            i tried to find out if other people tweeted her about that- but i’m pretty sure she was answering me :)

• MA says:

Ha! I didn’t see that, but Yay! And bummer. It should, since a wind machine is THE go-to accessory.

• MA says:

And yes, the bit about the words was very funny. I love how she was like, “Listen, I just need to get this off my chest…”

• FreeHaley says:

• FreeHaley says:

Had she seen more of Idol in the past she might not have been so confused by the judges and powers that be random comments each week hah. Sadly, it’s par for the show, most especially of all for the last two seasons.
        It’s got to be galling at times to have such a solid musical mind and to have hear random nonsense at times on the show.

• Robin says:

Thanks for sharing that information with us. Great interview. I wish she was still on the show. Elise, Colton and Phillip were my pics for top 3…boy was I wrong.

3. Idol watcher says:

YES!! Finally they bring up the constant standing ovations! I’m sorry, but I honestly don’t think that any contestants have had an “Idol moment” that was worthy of a standing ovation. There were some mini-moments (whole lotta love, I’m ready for love, I will always love you) but NONE were in the same caliber as the performances that got standing ovations last season or seasons prior. I mean, for god’s sake, BENNIE AND THE JETS DIDN’T EVEN GET A STANDING O!!

Joshua getting 12 standing o’s, maybe one of which was earned, WILL backfire soon.

And sorry, but am I the only one who thinks that “Didnt you know how much I loved you” was skylar’s best performance? “The show must go on” and “born this way” were oversang to death for me.

This season will go down as the over singing year for me (Jessica, Joshua, Skylar, and even Elise and Phillip sometimes are screamers.) They should take notes from Haley and Pia on how to sing a song just right, not oversang or underwelming.

• Marsaili says:

Well, come on, Idol Watcher—the judges didn’t give Haley her props most of the season last year–don’t be so surprised that Benny and the Jets didn’t get a standing O! I think When a Man Loves a Woman deserved a Standing O. I think Whole Lotta Love deserved a standing O. I really, really liked a lot of other performances, but I don’t think they were standing O worthy. And I wouldn’t have anyone take notes from Pia—she has a beautiful voice—but she was voted off at #9 because she was boring as all get-out.

• Idol watcher says:

Yes maybe those two performances deserve one, but I hesitate to say so because IMO they are in the same caliber as Haley or Pia, or even lauren, Jacob and James when they’re at their best. While Elise is good, and I loved some interpretations of songs, her “whole lotta love” was not as good as Haley’s “what is and what should never be”, and that’s not even Haley’s best.

I never said Pia didn’t deserve to be voted off. She definitely did. But I appreciated that she never oversang. She usually hit the perfect medium between oversinging and undersinging.

• ejones says:

The reduction in standard of the standing ‘O’s was amply demonstrated on top 24 night when one of the recipients did not get voted in by the public and neither did the judges include him in their wild card sing off. Is it their way of justifying their OTT critiques of Haley, by reducing the value of hers?

• ashley says:

Idol watcher, thank you for mentioning this! i can’t lie, but i didn’t start watching this season until top 7 (the first time) and skylar’s “didn’t you know how much i loved you” FLOORED me. and then colton right after?! it was heavenly.
      i’m not a country fan at all, actually i mostly hate it, but skylar has an amazing voice and that song was perfect for her. now i listen to it allll the time.

4. Tahoe Mike says:

Arya makes it to Idology!! I can just see her chanting herself to sleep,”Joffery, Cercsi, Randy, JLo, Nigel…”
    ~
    Go Team Deer Hunter!!

• Marsaili says:

OMG Mike, you made me spray my drink on my screen (even out my nose, ick!)—that’s gotta be the best thing I’ve seen on these message boards all season, LOL! I love Game of Thrones, LOL!

• ashley says:

omg i laughed so hard at that.

5. MA says:

I think it’s interesting how often people compare Haley and Elise. I mean…they’re both blond, spunky gals, so okay. But I find them TOTALLY different, personality and music-wise. Haley is very jazzy and smooth. Elise is all power and a rock star, even when she’s doing a ballad. To me, there’s room for both, but if I’m picking (and I’m someone who really, really enjoys Haley), I’m going with Elise. She has skill, talent, and a level of bada**ery and maturity I’ve not seen on Idol in awhile. Yes, I admit that I am old (ish), but Haley’s still a kid to me. I kinda want to squeeze her face. Elise I want to go to a bar and do shots with.

• Marsaili says:

I agree, but at the same time I think (in my mind) the comparison is more about the abuse they both took all season when they are clearly the most talented contestants of their season. I can’t pick one or the other—they are both my absolute favorite Idols—although I’ll join ya at the bar with Elise—that would be fun! I don’t understand how people compare Haley and Jessica—that comparison is just ridiculous—because Jessica has gotten nothing but love from the judges and the voters all season (except that one week) Haley had to battle the judges and the voters each week—and their styles are so different—with Haley I felt every single note in my bones. Jessica has done that to me twice, but she’s got a lot of growing to do yet!

• MA says:

Hmmm…I see what you mean. They did both bear the brunt of the judges wrath, and undeservedly so. That’s a legitimate comparison.
        ***
        Jessica, yeah, it does seem like the praise is overkill. I don’t get the comparison to Haley there at all. I also found it interesting that Haley was rooting for Jessica. Not bad, just…odd. But I live in SD and have her in the office pool, so at times like this, I always feel obligated to say, “Woot! Let’s go Jessica!”
        ***
        In other news, I saw a funny clip with Elise where she said something like, “I really enjoyed hanging out with the k-…the other contestants.” Then she laughed and said, “I almost just called them the kids.” Haha! Oh my…I call them “the kids” all the time!

• Marsaili says:

LOL, I do too—of course my oldest (out of 6) just turned 24 so to me they are all kids, with the exception of Elise—she’s more like a little sister to me ;-)

• Kitty says:

That’s one of the (many) reasons I love Elise. She’s a grownup. That’s not meant as a diss to the other contestants. 80s babies have to stick together! Okay, I was born in 1988, but still….

I totally want to do shots with Elise. Thank you for putting this awesome fantasy in my head.

Awww, you are my daughter’s age, she just turned 24! 1988 was a good year ;-D

• MA says:

Aw, my baby sister was born in 1988! It WAS a good year! I’ve got 15 years on that kid, but so long as you appreciate us old folks (as does she!), you’re more than welcome at our shot party!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Elise is just the right age to be my daughter, LOL. If I had a daughter I would want her to be just like Elise.

• Tommyo2000 says:

Haley and Elise hanging out in a bar … who you buying a drink for? … sorry Elise hope you brought your cash …

• darcy's evil twin says:

Tightwad! I’d buy drinks for both of them!

• MA says:

Hmmm…you act like that’s a bad thing. Buy your own drinks, Elise! Cheers!

• MA says:

Oops…hit the wrong button. That’s for Tommy, not darcy. (I don’t know if I could do shots with Haley. I know she’s 21, but I might feel kind of icky about that.)

6. Davey says:

Oh, Michael what psychedelic mushrooms are you eating to call Skylar’s The Show Must Go On the best of the season. Thankfully, your editor doesn’t agree. I don’t know what games the producers are playing but I’m sensing a big moment from Jessica and maybe a pimp spot since she hasn’t had one since singing Whitney ages ago.

7. PFitzDC says:

Oh, how I adore Jason Averett’s video editing…if only they weren’t limited to 10 minutes; the old days, Idology would be at 15-20 in multiple segments if necessary. Reading the comments, I think Michael undercounted the votes–there’s a very small minority that thinks The Show Must Go On was the performance of the season.

Not that I’m knocking Skylar. She did it very well–even if she didn’t fully connect to the lyrics.

Adding to the “whose-obscure-song-hurt-them-worst” commentary….while I love Elise and will be very, very, very sad not to hear her the next couple of weeks, she didn’t help herself by defending her choice by saying “I thought everyone knew that song.” Really? I’m fairly musically-versed (not as good as Slezak), and grew up listening to Classic Rock from the 60s and 70s, and I didn’t know that Hendrix piece. And if Elise truly thinks that that the IDOL VIEWING PUBLIC would know it, it just shows how wildly out of touch she was with the fan base she needed to nurture.

Anyway, I’ll be waiting and waiting for her to release an album of her own!

• Noa says:

John Mayer just released it, which is the version a lot of younger people know. So I think that’s why she assumed (correctly) that most people would know it. But a lot of the time people sing songs I had never heard of and I never assume it’s because they’re obscure… It’s usually cause I just didn’t know the song. Happens! Oh- and that Hendrix album is Named after that song, so it should be kind of well known at least if you know a little Hendrix.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’d never heard the John Mayer cover but I’ve sure heard the Hendrix original and I grew up listening to 60s/70s rock. The FM “album rock” stations used to play that song. Those stations played lesser-known songs made songs popular that weren’t top 40 hits (like “Bad to the Bone” by George Thorogood and the Destroyers). One thing I’ve noticed when I travel is I hear different songs when I am in different areas of the country, so maybe that Hendrix song just got more airplay where I live.
        I agree, Noa, I’m sure Elise was thinking of the John Mayer version.

8. PFitzDC says:

It’s so depressing that the “girls” have outnumbered the “boys” for several weeks (currently 3 to 2), and yet, I’ll put money on the final 2 being Phillip & Joshua.

Hope I’m wrong….

• JC says:

Me too I have a bad feeling about that because Phillip looks like a lock based on what history suggest and Joshua is the judges’ favorite. I want Jessica to be in the finale and win it :)

9. michael m. says:

you think HOLLIE is rising but she is NOT. you think she is getting better, but she ISN’T. she is singing songs lately that she already knew, that she perfected already that’s why you think she is improving. but actually when she sings something that she only learned recently she will have a difficulty singing it. for skylar, i totally totally disagree that’s the performance of the season. duh! she had a hard time with that song, SO MUCH! she doesn’t connect with the material. read the lyrics and see how she portrayed it. she is very NASAL. i’m not surprised why she ended up in the bottom three. and i will not be surprised if she is the next one to be eliminated.

• Jeffrey Jewell says:

What a crock!!! You think these other contestants don’t know the songs they are singing?? Phillip sang dave matthews for god sakes!!! I”m sure Hollie is at home in texas blasting queen save me on her boom box!!!

• Marsaili says:

LOL, I have to wonder if Hollie is even old enough to know what a boom box it these days! I agree that she is improving, I’ve been quietly hoping that she comes from behind—and she’s really doing it. She’s got a wonderful voice, she is learning more and more how to instill emotion into her songs and her stage presence is improving. I don’t see how anyone can’t see it!

• MA says:

Amen to that. I actually really like Hollie. She kind of reminds me of Carrie Underwood, who always seemed like a lovely, sweet girl who was just really stiff during a lot of her Idol run. Here’s the thing about Hollie: She’s nice, she’s funny, she’s cute as a button, she’s totally non-offensive, and you just can’t help but love her. No, she’s not the best performer on the show, but she’s got a fantastic voice and tons of personality. Plus, it would really annoy the judges if she won. So Hollie as the last one standing sounds like a fine idea to me. Hmmm…I might just vote for her this week.

• Marsaili says:

I would love to see Hollie and Joshua as the top 2–can you imagine, besties battling it out? I totally agree with you on her personality—she is just the cutest thing—her personality shines and I hate how the judges just bash her week after week. Maybe she’s Haley2?

• MA says:

Sounds great to me! Plus, besties battling it out is good drama, so that should be something the show can get behind!

• melinda s. says:

hollie just talks and talks but no substance. she doesn’t make sense. in one of her interviews, top 6 or 7 diary i think, she even contradicted herself. she may seem funny but she’s kind of stupid like phillip. colton and elise are witty, articulate and full of personality in their interviews.

• MA says:

I find it remarkable that anyone would come in, not use proper capitalization or punctuation, and deign to call anyone “stupid.” Good luck to ya.

• jga94 says:

Amen to this.

• michael m. says:

see that’s why “save me” was horrible cause she only learned it there

• idolfanatic says:

hollie is a good performer but not as good as joshua, skylar, jessica and pp. she should have gone home last week instead of elise.

10. Jeffrey Jewell says:

He meant Hollie was rising in the sense she’s finally getting the good feek back she deserves, she has to be rising because she was in the bottom 2 like 3 or 4 times now, if she wasn’t rising Elise and Colton would have outlasted her, she’s keeping herself from getting the lowest number of votes each week because her fan base is growing. Besides how is she supposed to compete with Joshua when the judges are pimping him so much and Phillip who is the worst singer left but the judges and girls love. final two should have been Colton and Hollie.

11. joseph says:

MY TOP 5 PERFORMANCES THIS SEASON SO FAR…

1. EVERYBODY HAS A DREAM – JESSICA
    2. STUTTERING – JESSICA
    3. WIND BENEATH MY WINGS – SKYLAR
    4. YOU AND I – ELISE
    DANCE WITH MY FATHER – JESSICA
    5. RUNAWAY BABY – JOSHUA
    THE CLIMB – HOLLIE

ALTHOUGH I DIDN’T HAVE ANY OF P2′s PERFORMANCES ON MY LIST, I’D STILL HOPE TO SEE HIM IN THE FINALE WITH JESSICA….

• honey says:

I have to agree with you… But here’s my own list…

1. Everybody has a dream- Jessica
      2. When A Man Loves A Woman- Joshua
      3. Wind Beneath my wings- Skylar
      4. I will always love you- Jessica
      5. Love You I Do- Jessica

12. Jason says:

One of the Reasons “Show Must go On” can not be Performance of THe Season is because it has been sung too many times on Idol/X Factor type shows. Paris Bennett, Carly Smitson. Amelia Lily. Performance of the season needs to be somewhat original song choice. (Mad World, Benny and The Jets, Billie Jean, etc). Tell you the truth I 100% prefer Skylar’s Stay With Me to the safe Show Must Go On!!!

13. Jason says:

Top 10 Performances of the Season:

10 – Time After Time – Colton Dixon

9. Moving Out – Phili Philips

8. Stay With Me – Skylar LAine

7. Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Joshua Ledet

6. Bruno MArs Song – Joshua Ledet

5. Piano Man – Colton Dixon

4. Bold As Love – Elise Testone

3. Vienna – Elise Testone

2 When a MAn Loves A Woman – Joshua Ledet

1. Whole Lot Of Love Elise Testone

14. Aiyana says:

My predictions for the rest of the season. Going home next will be Hollie, Jessica, then Joshua. Top two – Skylar and Phillip. For the win, I’m going to go with Skylar because (1) she has a really great voice, (2) I think the country voting bloc is bigger than the rock voting bloc.

15. idolfanatic says:

my top 10 performances for this season (solo, group, duets)
    1. jessica sanchez – stuttering
    2. joshua ledet – when man loves a woman
    3. pp and elise – somebody that i used to know
    4. jessica and joshua – i knew you were waiting
    5. elise – whole lotta love
    6. skylar – wind beneath my wings
    7. jessica sanchez- how will i know
    8. jessica, deandre candace – it doesn’t matter anymore
    9. jessica – love you i do
    10. hollie – rolling in the deep

16. Chris says:

Joshua’s “I Wish” during Stevie Wonder week was an AMAZING performance that made me open my eyes to his awesome talent and showmanship on stage. That performance might be just as good as some of his others referenced on this page.

17. GeorgeR says:

I love how Phillip has become the punching bag of all the “I know better than all you folks” commenters but the fact is those who like him really like him. 50% of Slezak followers polled like him and Skyler better than the rest and I do not believe Slezak with all his NYC sarcasm and humor has a big Dave Mathews or country following, So as funny as we find Slezak in a secret ballott we do not agree about Phillip or Skyler I’ve said it here before, are they the best? no, Im not tone deaf but I enjoy both a lot better than the rest, they are entertaining.(Elise was my 3rd if not 2nd) This is a strange year though because each is so talented vocally I would be as happy for any of them to win. As far as anyone who stops watching; please, have some sportsmanship I suffered through the last two years of painful endings last year probably being the most boring. Its an investment of time and I recomend seing it through,otherwise you wont get the Idolology jokes.

18. ashley says:

I always wanted to like Elise, because she was the cool rock chick, but I really just never connected with her voice, and she was kindy b***hy (and you know it!) Let’s face it, she’s just no Haley Reinhart. BUT she somehow killed “Whole Lotta Love”. I have no idea why I like this. I don’t like her voice and Robert Plant has one of my favorite voices of all time. Maybe it was just how someone else said, she showed such maturity and knowledge of the song, that it worked.
    I don’t know why people are smack-talking Phillip Phillips. Yes, I had a hard time accepting him at first because of all of the Dave Matthews comparisons and the fact that his name is the same name, but twice in a row with an S at the end. But I liked him all along, and then LOVED him with Usher’s “U Got It Bad.” Like, jaw dropped, oh-my-goodness, I listen to that every day style. (I gues this is a good time to mention that I’m a 24-year-old female.) And I thought “The Stone” was beautiful, but I already knew and loved that song, so that helped. And I love how his version is so different from Dave’s! It is really special. Also, in retrospect, I’ve fallen in love with “Hard to Handle.” I love his leg shaky thing that everyone makes fun of. It shows how into it the music he really is.
    “The Show Must Go On” was vocally impressive, but nothing compares to her version of “Didn’t You Know How Much I Loved You.” I call that “the one time my jaw dropped and I liked a country song.”
    Besides these, other favorites of the top 7 are Colton’s “Love the Way You Lie,” Joshua’s “Ready for Love,” (and can I say – I’m so glad he sang that song!), PP’s “Fat-Bottomed Girls” (probably because I am one), Joshua’s “When a Man Loves a Woman,” and… Haley’s guest performance of “Free.” (Bonus!)
    Hollie is average and I don’t know why she’s on the show. Like someone else said, maybe she’ll be amazing at 22, but she sure isn’t amazing now. And Jessica, I just can’t connect! Yes, she sounds like Beyonce/Whitney Houston, but I’m not sure I like that. One of my friends calls her SnoozeFest2k12. I think that’s a pretty accurate assessment.
    Can you imagine… a PP/Joshua finale?!

• ashley says:

oh also – Slezak – how sad was the departure of Lindsey Pavao on “The Voice?,” but mostly, that Arya moment could not have been done better. Good work.

• noa says:

no, i don’t “know it”. Elise always seemed incredibly fun and intelligent to me. have you heard any of her post idol interviews?? how can you say she seems bitchy?

• MA says:

Yeah, I don’t “know” it either. I strive to always be as b***chy as Elise.

• Marsaili says:

I don’t get the “bitchy” remarks—where the heck is that coming from—because a woman can express her feelings and ideas and is able to verbalize her intentions–that makes her a bitch?Then I hope I’m as bitchy as Elise! I’m with you MA!

• noa says:

exactly! Phillip disagrees with the judges and Jimmy all the time and he’s “just being Phillip”. Elise is confident and intellegent and isn’t afraid to speak her mind, but she’s a woman so she’s called bitchy. may every woman you know behave the same as Elise- just so you can get to know smart, mature women.

• MA says:

That’s because Phillip is a man. This is not unique to American Idol; it’s the real world.
            ***
            I think we should all get t-shirts that say “B*tchy as Elise,” with maybe a picture of her face and that Idol bleep oval over her mouth.

• Tarc says:

Ha! It’s the Katerine Heigl Effect: cool, awesome, smart, talented, interesting, loyal, well-spoken = “b*tchy” to some. Personally, the griping reads of jealousy to me… or perhaps some social cue-interpretation deficiency.

• MA says:

Don’t forget “pretty,” Tarc. Pretty is key. If they’re not attractive, they get the “angry lesbian” slam.

• Tarc says:

@noa – For Phillip, I think he listens, but he’s adamant about the Idol experience not changing him in ways he’s not interested in changing. Depending on the area, that might be good or not, but it’s pretty admirable to me. I think Elise was more open to change, but the judges are always more critical of the women than the men on Idol, and she took things more personally. I’m not one to ‘just take it’ either, so I’d be more Elise in that situation (so I have to admire her).

• noa says:

MA- i’d buy that T-shirt and wear it to her concert!
            i’m not against the way Phillip is behaving. i’m just not on board with how he keeps getting the opposite response to what Elise is getting. as usual, my problem isn’t with any of the contestants, it’s with the producers and judges.

i hate society. we’re all just sexist pigs.

• C says:

A PP/Joshua finale is my worst nightmare. I’d either have to skip it, or have my finger on the mute button the entire time.

19. michael says:

milinda is ugly!

20. mona says:

“The show must go on” wasn’t even in Skylar’s own top 3, in my opinion. To be honest, I was actually pretty bored (!) with it, as it felt/sounded like a summary of several other performances she had done before that. I’m really confused as to what it is I’m missing here…

21. robbie says:

1. Everybody has a dream- jessica sanchez
    2. Doesn’t matter anymore- jessica, deandre and (forgot the other girl)
    3. In the midnight hour- Philip Philips
    4. Didn’t you know how much I love you- Skylar
    5. All the man i need-hollie
    6. When a man loves a woman- Joshua
    7. Stuttering- Jessica
    8. I knew you were waiting- Jessica and joshua
    9. VIENNA-elise
    10. Sweet Dreams- jessica

22. ck says:

Michael, I don’t agree with your selection of the best song of the season. For me, that honor goes to Elise doing “Whole Lotta Love”. Also, your comment about screaming done well and screaming done poorly gave me a terrible flashback of Gokey doing “Dream On” back on AI 8. Please don’t take me there again ;-)

23. dj says:

“There’s screaming done well, and there’s screaming done poorly, and I feel like Joshua is screaming done well.”

I agree, Slezak! Takes me back to the aftermath of Danny Gokey’s attempt at Dream On, and the horror movie-worthy scream at the end. Suddenly the people taking issue with Adam’s screaming were shutting up. I didn’t start out the season being a Joshua fan, but he has been winning me over. His performances have been so great, from the Bruno Mars thing, to Crazy Little Thing Called Love, to Ready for Love. I thought Ready for Love was gorgeous. How does a kid that age put that kind of feeling into a song? Wow. ButOI do agree about the standing O’s. At this point they are hurting him more than helping him.

I love watching you and Melinda dish about Idol, and I love the editor-dude putting in his two cents to such great effect. I so agreed with everything you said about J-Lo. She is so transparent with all her little facial expressions and tones of voice.

I was sorry to see Elise go home, but I like everyone who’s left in it, so every Thursday night is going to be tough. I am really rooting for Joshua, and I like how well Hollie is doing, too. She is improving every week, and she has an adorable personality, and I like her friendship with Joshua.

• darcy's evil twin says:

A Joshua/Hollie finale would be fine with me. I’m one of those people Slezak talked about that just loves an underdog. And I do love Hollie’s voice.

24. darcy's evil twin says:

First of all, I love you Jason Averett. While Mr. Slezak is taking a temporary leave of absence in the Twilight Zone, Jason is right on the money!
    This is quite a confusing season for me. I’m very disappointed Elise left but we all knew it was coming. the fact she made the Top 12 and the tour is a miracle in itself.

Right now my favorite contestant is Phillip Phillips. Everyone keeps saying he reminds them of Dave Matthews. What’s odd is I don’t care for Dave Matthews, and if that DMB song Phillip sang is any indication of what we can look forward to after Idol this will be a short-term love affair. I’m reminding myself of my neighbors, who all rushed to see David Cook in concert, only to be disappointed because he sang rock music, LOL. Did they really expect him to sing “Phantom of the Opera” music?
    I loved Skylar’s “Stay With Me” because it was so unexpected and energetic, but for some reason I’m not feeling the love for her. I like country, I love Reba McEntire, but for whatever reason I’m not crazy about Skylar, while so many people here that don’t care for country DO like her. didn’t really care for Carrie, either, and at the time I remember thinking Carrie was “nothing special” so Skylar will undoubtedly go on to superstardom, LOL, despite singing that turkey, “Wind Beneath My Wings”.
    I absolutely love Joshua’s old-school performances. Melinda is correct in comparing him to Jackie Wilson. He’s amazing and a true performer. Hollie is definitely improved and I liked her “Save Me” more than the judges. I love her clear-as-a-crystal-bell voice. Jessica has tons of talent but she’s just not my type of performer. IMO she should have gone home when she was voted off the island. Everyone is so crazy about her and I’m trying really, really hard to like her choices but I just can’t go there.

• darcy's evil twin says:

And here I am again, replying to my own post.
      Going back and reading what I’ve written, and looking back on past performances, I believe I’m rooting for a P2/Joshua finale.

• Jessica says:

I also want a P2 and Joshua finale. That would be perfect.No not a teenage voter for “cute boys” I just am not impressed with the girls to win it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh, Skylar and Jessica are enormously talented. I completely understand why I don’t care for Jessica – one Celine Dion is one too many for me. that just isn’t my style but I can’t take anything away from her talent and vocals. Jessica sounds a bit like Beyonce, whom I really like, but her song choices are more like Whitney/Mariah/Celine.
          For the life of me I don’t understand why I’m not more thrilled with Skylar. “Stay With Me” was the top of her mountain.
          I LOVE Hollie’s vocals. I haven’t always been thrilled with her choice of songs but I do love her voice.
          I’m sure not a teenage voter for cute boys either. Elise could easily be my daughter. I wish she were!

• Jessica says:

Yeah I’m not getting why I’m not interested in Skylar? Maybe want someone who isn’t country genre in the finale due to last year???

• Tarc says:

LOL! Yes, we still have a perfectly good Celine Dion… and her younger Aussie replacement, the gorgeous Delta Goodrem. Honestly, I hope Jessica moves to dance or electronic music – big ballads are out (unless you are Adele, but we already have one of those, too).

• Me says:

@Tarc, love how you mentioned Delta Goodrem. Jessica said in an interview that she doesn’t want to be the next Celine. I see her as being like a female NeYo or even like Beyonce.

25. darcy's evil twin says:

did anyone happen to catch Javier Colon last night on “The Voice”? He reminded me a lot of Colton, who I picked to win this whole ball of wax early on. I guess it’s a good thing I never got a job with Miss Cleo’s Psychic Hotline.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Sorry, that should have read “*whom* I picked to win this whole ball of wax early on”.

• Blade says:

Good grief! DET are you so hungry for a spotlight that you need to have a multiple post conversation with yourself on line. Dominating the board to see yourself in print is obnoxious and boring. STFU!

• Marsaili says:

Wow, what is the matter with you??? Are you so hard up for attention that you have to go and find people to pick on—for no reason? Grow up—there are tons of regulars here posting tons of posts—DET is more intelligent and personable in one post than you are in all your posts and I’d happily read anything she had to say rather than your hateful diatribes!

• marie says:

“STFU”? Right back at ya!

What?? Go away, Blade.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, now my feeling are hurt. ;-)
          Well, thanks to Marsaili for thinking my posts are intelligent.

• noa says:

what’s wrong with you??
          1. i really enjoy DET’s posts here. there are a few of us here who post a lot and we like reading what everyone else is thinking. that’s the POINT of message boards.
          2. one mean spirited stupid comment from you has pissed me off more than a 1000 (intelligent, witty and perfectly lovely) comments from 1 person could ever do. your kind is what makes everything here worse.

use the internet for good, not evil!
          Blade, you should just leave us civil people alone.
          plus- your name is Blade and it just makes me laugh thinking about Community. i’d suggest that you watch that show, but i think most of it will go over your head.

26. Jessica says:

I agree with Melinda about Jessica and Skylar. I have never really liked them. Jessica sounds like a copy cat to me. Skylar? I don’t know just not thrilling to me. I really like Phillip and Joshua. I honestly don’t know who I like more. I think Joshua might be a lead just a bit

• Jessica says:

Oh waiting for the hundredth comment about Phillip sounding like Dave Matthews. I checked it out and yes similar mannerisms but I see differences. From listening to P2 and then DM “Stone” I like P2 just as much as DM. I also see P2 as more mature than Jessica. She just seems like a teenage girl taking videos singing like Beyonce since she’s been a little girl-which felt like yesterday. It’s hard for me to take her serious.

• jga94 says:

The reason why you think Jessica seems like a teenage girl taking videos singing like Beyonce since she was a little girl is because…..she actually is…And P2 and DM…..there may be differences but these are so subtle they seem like twins or something….eerie…

• Tarc says:

They really don’t sound anything alike. Check out the studio versions of the songs, where this is really clear. I think the seeming similarity comes out more strongly in live performance choices, rather than what you’d hear on an album.

• Marsaili says:

Yeah, there are still a few of the die-hard PHILLIP IS A CLONE OF DAVE MATTHEWS comments flying around here–whatever! The people that enjoy his music know differently and it really doesn’t matter what anyone else says. As for Jessica, that’s what she truly was—and she’d be the first to admit that (and she’s got the hundreds of videos on Youtube to prove it) but in her defense, she may have started out being a kid singing like Beyonce, but she’s developed a talent that is rare and out of this world. Once she discovers herself, she will be unstoppable!

27. marie says:

Quite the Elise love-fest we have here in the Comments! :) Count me in. Surprised that Michael hasn’t been more enthusiastic about her this season, but of course taste is subjective and can’t be explained easily (if at all). I’ll miss being able to hear Elise for the remaining few weeks of the season, but I’ll still watch, because Idol has been so entertaining this season overall. I even like the remaining contestants that I don’t particularly like!

28. Marsaili says:

You are so Beautiful—Joe Cocker
    You Don’t Have to Love Me—Dusty Springfield

Duets/Groups

You’ve Lost that Lovin’ Feeling—Righteous Brothers
    Higher and Higher—Jackie Wilson

Guesses:
      Ain’t to proud to beg: Joshua
      The Letter: Philip
      Proud Mary: Hollie
      Fortunate Son: Skylar
      River Deep—Jessica

To Love Somebody–Joshua
      Time of the Season–Skylar
      BLeeding Love–Jessica
      You are so Beautiful–Phillip
      You don’t have to Love me–Hollie

• Templar says:

I’m hoping Hollie sings “You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me”. And I hope Skylar does “To Love Somebody” because that song is on the set list of all of the country bands that play here locally, so its’ right in her wheelhouse. I’m guessing Joshua will do the Temptations song, P2 will do Joe Cocker’s song and Jessica will do Bleeding Love [she has before] and Proud Mary.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Didn’t “River Deep, Mountain High” get Pia Tuscano sent home?

29. Kitty says:

I just remembered I won’t be watching Elise on TV tonight and almost started crying (again). Is that happening to anyone else? Oh well, at least I have her on my iPod…..

P.S. That setlist would be way better if it had Elise. I’m just sayin’.

• dave says:

Pity Pot, table for one!

• noa says:

the “almost crying” is coming back every few hours for me for 2 days now. my ipod will cry tomorrow: “where are my new Elise tracks?!!!” he’s been spoiled for a while now…

• Tarc says:

It’s a good thing I’m virtually certain that your iPod will end up getting a whole album injection in about a year. :)

30. P3A says:

I just haven’t liked Jessica’s voice, ever. I’m not a musical expert so I can’t say much about singing in tune, but I trust when people say she sings the right key every time.
    I guess for the same reason I love Hollie’s voice. It’s so clear and beautiful. Even I have noticed that she sometimes has missed some notes, but I think it is more due to lack of practise time rather than abilities. Though its a competition and everyone has the same time to practise, so. I loved Hollies Cristina song, Power of Love and perfect. Only critique I have is boring or song choises or that she doesn’t seem to understand what she’s singing.
    Skyler is definately the best performer of the bunch. Joshua is talented, but I don’t like his style of music. P2 is just another WGWG, boring as hell, but hey – why should cute guys be interesting, when they can just smile their way to the finale?

• Tarc says:

That’s a smiling, vote-getting, current record-selling, WGWG to you! LOL! I love my WGWG – I spend money on them – and the iTunes Top 200 says a lot of people do.

31. Marsaili says:

Damn, Hollie killed that! And I hate that song!

• Templar says:

I don’t like that song either, but Hollie seemed so much more professional tonight. Go Hollie! I’m not sure what I thought of P2s song. I’ll have to re-watch it later.

32. Templar says:

Didn’t care for Skylar’s performance. Shrill and screechy, although quite energetic.

33. Templar says:

The duet by Joshua and P2 was pure MAGIC!!!!

34. Marsaili says:

I tell ya, I’m LOVIN’ this Joshua and Phillip duet!!! That was AWESOME!!!

35. MK says:

I think JLo and Xtina are one and the same. You have to read between their lines and they both give back handed compliments. They give subtle digs and one has to have only half a brain to figure out their baloney. Skylar…good but why do she and Joshua always have to end big. Not every song needs to end big. It’s called song interpretation and I feel, especially with Skylar, she plans on ending big without any comprehension whatsoever about what the song is about.

• Marsaili says:

I totally disagree with you, I think she got the song, she felt the feeling of the song—I don’t give a crud what note she ends on—they have to end the song quickly and in the middle of the song—so giving it a glory note at the end works to end the song abruptly. they don’t get to fade it out, they don’t have the time to build it up and slow it down.

36. Marsaili says:

JESSICA!!!! YES!!!! That’s how you do it!!!!

37. Templar says:

OMG! Joshua just blended Smokey Robinson, Sam Cooke and James Brown. Ah-Mazing Best of the night.

• Marsaili says:

He was HOT! I’m happy with all the performances tonight—they are all doing really, really great! I was so sad that Elise wasn’t going to be here–but I’m not missing her as badly as I thought I would—well, now I am, now that I am thinking about it ;-P

38. Marsaili says:

I love seeing Phillip stretch himself to hit those high notes—he’s really working out of his comfort zone and it’s cool to see him grow.

39. Templar says:

If all of the planets are spinning right, and tonight having the brightest moon of the year, Joshua will top the voting and Skylar will go home. Fingers crossed.

• Marsaili says:

I agree about Joshua—he brought me to tears with his rendition of To Love Somebody! I remember being in 5th grade, back in 1976 and going to the library to take out albums and getting tons of Bee Gee’s records—I loved that song as a 10 year old girl, I LOVE it now–and Joshua made me love it EVEN more! WOW!!!! I have to say, Jessica brought me to tears with You are SO Beautiful as well—that was simply beautiful! I still don’t want Skylar to go home, though!

40. jiji33 says:

michael, where is idology with elise??

41. I and my pals have already been reviewing the excellent guides on your web page and so all of a sudden I had a horrible feeling I never expressed respect to the website owner for those secrets. All of the boys appeared to be consequently joyful to see all of them and have in effect absolutely been having fun with those things. I appreciate you for indeed being considerably kind and then for making a choice on this sort of ideal subjects millions of individuals are really desperate to discover. My sincere apologies for not expressing appreciation to earlier.