Dancing With the Stars Week 7 Results Recap: A Matter of Taste

william levy dwtsNow that the two-left-feeters are long gone, deciding which Dancing With the Stars Bottom 2 couple hits the road “really is a matter of taste,” Bruno pointed out during this week’s results show. So what taste did the judges prefer: mature and pithy or youthful yet petulant? Let’s review how things shook out:

Bottom Two Couples
Roshon Fagan & Chelsie Hightower
Jaleel White & Kym Johnson

Putting Things Into Perspective
Richard “Steele” Vazquez and his hip-hop troupe, Groovaloo, rocked the room a year after a brain aneurysm nearly killed him. So when Brooke asked Maria how her gimpy foot was holding up immediately following Vazquez’s appearance, the Extra host’s partner deftly stepped in. “That was one of the most inspiring things I’ve seen on this show,” Derek said, neatly directing the attention back to the AT&T Spotlight performer. (And don’t worry, Menounos minions: She’s doing okay.)

Back for More
Week 5 castoff Gavin DeGraw returned to perform “Sweeter” with his band while former partner Karina Smirnoff (paired this time with Louis Van Amstel) tore up the floor.

Rumba Dance Off!
Jaleel & Kym: Jaleel said Monday night’s low scores mad him eat cheesecake “like a divorced mother of three,” but it didn’t show during his buff, bare-chested rumba. Highlights: close holds, elegant spins (made even cooler by Kym’s fringe-y ensemble), and a strong connection. Prior to the rumba rumble, Jaleel teased Len about his crotchety nature, saying, “Len is the old guy outside of a grocery store who won’t give a kid any money for candy.” Tom shot back, “That old guy outside the grocery store is about to judge you. Good luck with that.”

Roshon & Chelsie: A tiff between the star and pro that morning, show during their practice montage, made Roshon look like a brat. But the pair apparently patched things up; their rumba was less nuanced but a lot sexier than Jaleel and Kym’s. (You know it’s a good go when accessories, like Chelsea’s earring, go flying.) Bruno noted the Disney Channel darling’s improvement. “You carried your movements so much better than the first time around.”

When the cruel duel was done, the judges’ unanimous vote saved Roshon and Chelsie.

A beaming Jaleel said he originally thought he wouldn’t last past week three. He shouted out his love for his new friends, his fans, and the youthful Roshon, adding, “He’s the little kid outside the grocery store.”

What do you think? Did the judges save the right couple? Did you tear up when Steelo appeared with his crew? And what’s your guess for the word ABC bleeped when Tom was urging the judges to announce the amateur winners? (My money’s on “bitch.”) Sound off in the comments!

1. Bob Lozano says:

Talented dancer or not, I have no love for this season’s mandatory Disney implant. And my aversion to any “House of the Mouse” contestant isn’t new; it goes all the way back to Season 5, and the larceny perpetuated on another Disney darling, Sabrina Bryan. Ms. Bryan was robbed! Fan base size notwithstanding, it’s only a matter of time when Roshon will go home.

2. Mark says:

I’m glad Roshon stayed in. I really really enjoy his dancing.

3. Ginger Shows says:

I was watching because of Jaleel. I found him much more appealing than the brash cocky Roshon, I like his style. I am certain that either Katherine or William will win. How long will Roshon last?

4. X2 says:

Am i the only one who doesn’t care much about Jaleel being eliminated? He didn’t looks so happy when he was eliminated, Kym on the other hand seems like a sweet person, but her partner not so much

• chistosa says:

I was not displeased that Jaleel was eliminated once it was down to the bottom two. However, based on dancing, Melissa was the one who should have left the competition last night.

5. R. Duncan says:

I think the producers finally got tired of Jaleel’s shenanigans. As a celebrity, one of the things you DO NOT do is diss or go off on your pro and he did it multiple times. The lack of chemistry between him and Kym was so obvious by the end of week 4 it was sad. It even seemed that the other pros were staying away from him and his tantrums.

Of course I disliked him the moment that he stated his most memorable year was centered around a TV character he played on TV…I mean this trumped oh I don’t know the birth of his daughter?? The crocodile tears from that night just about made me vomit.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, as Len would say.

• nancytodd says:

Plus his comment about eating cheesecake like a divorced mother of 3 while standing next to Melissa was really stupid. And groping Kym’s chest. He was a sleaze.

6. Is it too much to ask that these articles at least be proofread before they are posted? The spelling and grammatical errors are distracting.

• chistosa says:

I agree. Where is Slezak? His writing is quite good and he usually does the recap for the elimination show.

7. S says:

What was with these dance duels. They came after a few weeks into the show, then are around for a few weeks,and now are gone? Either have them all the way to Top 4 or 5, or don’t have them at all. It’s just another unnecessary part of the show.

8. Angela says:

The right two were in the bottom this week, and overall I think the right person went home. About as simple as that.
    And that story about Vazquez was indeed quite inspiring. I’m glad he’s doing well and can return to what he loves.

• chistosa says:

Melissa really deserved to be in the bottom two. She consistently gives the weakest performance.

9. m2 says:

Can someone please tell Mark and Derek to stop taking their shirts off? Ever since William did it everyone wants to do it. Maks does it but I don’t mind it as much as he does got some abs that are worth seen. Now Im glad William is safe, he is the only reason I keep watching..

• chistosa says:

Why would you ask someone else to tell them? If it is your wish, you ask. You can contact them directly and ask. Use Twitter, Facebook, the ABC site. Don’t ask others to do what you can do yourself.

• I really think that William is the best reason to watch the show . he is good looking , he is hot , he is nice , sweet and humble . I enjoy watching him dancing and talking , I really love him very much , and I’m very happy that he is safe .

10. jaime says:

Ya. I think he said “life’s a B, now who’s in 3rd place”

11. Kim R says:

I could be wrong but when the last set of couples were waiting to hear who was safe and who was is the bottom 2, I thought I saw Chelsie shrug Roshon’s hands off her shoulders when they were announced as one of the pairs. She looked annoyed. Did anyone else see that or was I imagining it?? :)

12. Britta Unfiltered says:

Umm…”gimpy”? That’s a no-no word.

I really don’t like seeing Louis being part of the supporting cast, I want him back as one of the full-time pros! Is he off because he made Kendra cry? Because personally I really enjoyed that.

• Iván says:

He said on Twitter that he was off this season because all the female celebs are taller than him. So, I’m hoping next season he we’ll comeback :D!