Supernatural Hot Shots: Castiel Is Back... Again!

After a selfless sacrifice left him tormented and seemingly comatose, Castiel once again returns to Supernatural this Friday (The CW, 9/8c) — and we’ve got a first look at his… reawakening of sorts.

RELATED | Season Finale Guide: Get Exclusive Spoilers on 54 Big Finishes — Including Supernatural!

Per the official “Reading Is Fundamental” synopsis, “Meg calls Dean and Sam and tells them Castiel is awake and talking. Meanwhile, a teenager named Kevin gets hit by a bolt of lightning and is turned into a reluctant prophet. Sam and Dean believe Kevin holds the key to defeating the Leviathans but must fight off two Archangels who want him for their own purposes.”

Peruse the pics below, and then hit the comments with your thoughts on yet another of Castiel’s revivals.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Photo Gallery

1. Lisa says:

Excited to have Castiel back, but my heart hurts to see him in such a state. Fingers crossed he survives the season and goes on to be back on Team Free Will next year.

2. Any episode with Castiel in it is a bonus!!

3. jasmine says:

Castiel! Woot! As much as I adore Sam and Dean, the other characters like Castiel add some much needed variety and interest to the show. Kudos to Kripke for coming up with such a intriguing, rich character. I look forward to seeing the nerd angel in the upcoming episodes and hopefully, next season too!

• Maria says:

This! I’m so excited, and it’ll be fantastic to see Cas back in Team Free Will. I think it’s looking good for season 8 too. ;-)

4. Madeline says:

Does Cas look more like Misha to anyone else? The facial expressions scream Misha to me. Not Cas.

I hope Cas remains Cas and doesn’t turn into a more human-esque character.

• rowan77 says:

Cas is a little insane at the moment, so he’s not going to be the same stoic angel we are used to – at least not for now. I know Sera Gamble and Robert Singer had a conversation with Misha about the possibility of returning as a regular next season but I won’t know who initiated the conversation (if it was his idea or theirs), and now that Sera Gamble is out and Jeremy Carver is in, if Jeremy wants to being Castiel back as a regular again. I hope so.

5. Isla says:

‘selfless sacrifice’ my a** he was the one who put Sam in there it was the very least he could do after ripping his wall down and leaving him to suffer for months with hellucinations. I’m not happy about his return and sincerely hope they stick to the few episode rule with his character.

• Clare says:

Obtuse, much? If he hadn’t come back Sam would still have his hellucinations wouldn’t he? You’re just pissed you aren’t getting your woobie drooling Sam and that Dean has someone else he cares about. LOL!

• daisy says:

Well jeezie peasie, and just WHO started the whole damn apocalypse anyway? WHO treated Cas like their own personal flunkie all the time? WHO took great delight in telling Cas nobody cares about his problems? WHO is Cas’ role model when it comes to humanity? “You should have come to us for help Cas, even though we never really cared to offer any, and you shouldn’t lie, even though we lie on a daily basis to ourselves, each other, and everyone else!” That’s how that dialogue SHOULD have read.

• Wendy says:

A++

I agree with every part of this. All Cas did was fix the mess he created. There’s nothing selfless about fixing your own damn mistake. And really, his story line is long since played out. Every episode he’s in from here on out is unnecessary shoehorning. I would love to see the character of Castiel gone for good. Bleh.

• Cody says:

“There’s nothing selfless about fixing your own damn mistake.”

I take it this also applies to Sam falling into the Pit to stop the Apocalypse?

• ninamags says:

How was that a Sam mistake? DEAN started the apocalypse while HE was in hell.

• Tracy says:

Sam could have listened to his brother instead of choosing Ruby. Just sayin’.

• mudd says:

No Dean started the breaking of the seals while being tortured. Sam started the Apocalypse by breaking the last seal and releasing Lucifer because he was power hungry and stuck on revenge.

• Linda says:

You seem to have entirely missed Sam breaking the last seal. It was a joint effort.

• RJ says:

Cas is great–want to see much more him as part of the team. Haters will always be haters.

6. Frances says:

This looks like such an epic episode! And it was written by Ben Edlund, who I swear can do no wrong. I’m glad to see more of the angel mythology back in the story, I always really enjoy it.

7. Rachel says:

haha, looks like Cas will spend most of the episode pointing?

8. bev says:

I was heartbroken at Cas’ death and I’m thrilled that the creative team decided to bring him back (hopefully, to keep him around his time for good!) Cas’ relationship with the Dean has been one of the highlights of the show for me and I’m sure we’ll see some terrific drama coming up. Can’t wait!

9. Eagel says:

I will be glad to have Cas back. I would love to see a resurgence of the relationship between Dean and Cas. Please Carver, in season 8, let the profound bond flourish!

10. red says:

Why does it seem like choosing plot points in the writers’ room for the recent seasons has been the creative equivalent to throwing spaghetti on the wall and seeing what sticks? Why are we back to angels again? Sam and Dean haven’t been relevant to that arc for seasons now, and it’s coming back out of absolutely nowhere. Everything that happens on this show these days is so incomprehensible and random to the point of frustration.

• Restless says:

Fair enough. I like the angels, I can’t be mad. :P
      But this does seem to be the season of retreading old ground. “We’re going back to old school Supernatural, season 1-3 yadda yadda yadda.”
      “We’re going back to mid school Supernatural, season 4-5 yadda yadda yadda.” (Well, haven’t said that, but obviously implied.)
      Like I said, I’m happy to have angels again, so… I’ll reserve further judgement until I actually see the episode! ^^

11. Maria says:

Thrilled to have Cas back! I cannot wait to see Team Free Will reunited and see the profound bond on screen again. At last this show will be worth watching again. :D

12. lola says:

Yay Cas is back. Show hasn’t been the same without him. Looking forward to the return of the epic Dean/Cas friendship.

13. Josh says:

After all that crap about “killing demons cause they’re demons” they NEED to kill Meg. They can’t just play snark feast with her. They need to kill her.

14. starshelle says:

Very excited to see Castiel back again. :) He looks so sweet and vulnerable in those pictures. I hope Sam and Dean can help him regain his sanity so he can help them take down leviathans in the finale. I’m so excited to see Team Free Will back together again!

15. mikeguest says:

ha even Demons read tabloids in hospitals.

16. Castiel’s return has finally kicked season 7 into high gear! Misha Collins has been sorely missed and having Cas back alongside Sam and Dean makes SPN feels all kinds of right again. Throw in Bobby and a few more gone but not forgotten faces for a S8 and it’ll be must viewing for me once more. TFW ride again!

17. Seth says:

So happy to have Cas back. Hope the rumors of him/Misha returning for S8 (if there is one) are true. It would be nice to have Team Free Will and Carver back.

18. Amelie says:

Woohoo! So excited! The Dean/Cas friendship has been one of the sweetest surprises over the last few years, and I’ve missed it a lot in the last 2. I really hope we get more in S8.

19. Carrie says:

I’d be happy if they got rid of him for good. Castiel serves no purpose now on the show, he’s just there for fan service. Which is the problem–even fans who are neutral on the character end up disliking him because his fans are so loud and obnoxious.

• rowan77 says:

Ah, so be so lacking in creativity. How boring it must be. Castiel absolutely serves a purpose on the show, or they wouldn’t have brought him back for the end of the season Leviathan show-down. The fact that he has so many fans shows that his character is well-received and enjoyed, so getting rid of him for good would be counter-productive. There are several different ways they could go with Castiel next season what would be smart, fresh and still fit in the scheme of the series. Just because you don’t like him (for whatever reason) does not mean everyone else agrees with you.

• pook says:

i would say its 50/50 maybe 60/40 on not to bring cas back. 50% or maybe 60% say don’t bring him back while 50% to 40% say do. or don’t care. i for one-could do without the cas character. his time is long gone. don’t need an angel anymore. get back to the bros, the impala, the necklace, and hunting mythological creatures. and make the show scary again with the hip music. they would see the ratings go thru the roof-unlike now-they are low but steady because they can’t pic up the old fans that left because of the cas thing or pick up new fans because of the cas thing. but season 8 is a given imo. hopefully better things next season.

• ninamags says:

Completely agree with you, Carrie. Fan service, exactly.

Angels should not even be part of the story line anymore. They didn’t get their way so they should have slinked away into the sunset.

Unfortunately, from what I’ve read in a rumour mill, the show will not be allowed to be Sam and Dean only and they will shoe-horn this milquetoast character into next season as well.

• Kate says:

I have trouble comprehending exactly what you people mean when you throw the term “fanservice” about. Having Jared on the show is fanservice to Jared’s fans. Having Jensen on the show is fanservice to Jensen’s fans. Why then shouldn’t Cas fans get some fanservice? We matter too. We help boost the ratings, we helped vote for the show to get its TV Guide cover and we helped the show win its PCA Awards.

Writing Cas out was fanservice to you haters. But let me guess: that kind of fan service doesn’t irk you quite as much?

• ninamags says:

“We help boost the ratings”, except when you don’t. The last episode Castiel was in was in the toilet ratings wise (even more so than usual). Where were all the Castiel fans?

The show was first about 2 brothers and they ARE the show. Everything and everybody is extra.

• Tracy says:

And of course the fourth-biggest opening in celluloid history had nothing to do with those ratings, did they?

• Laura says:

LOL whut, you Wincest tinhatters aren’t exactly boosting the ratings this season either.

• Linda says:

Like the person further up I’m just reminding you that The Hunger Games premier had the fourth-biggest box office return in movie history. If the ratings had dropped for Supernatural alone that Friday you might have a case – but ratings were down across the boards. Therefore, your point is invalid.

• Linda says:

Also adding here that The Avengers will likely eat into ratings this coming Friday.

• pook says:

that would be true if the ratings since cas came on went up-but they didn’t-they went down. sorry but true.

• pook says:

and i mean that since season 4 when he first showed up. the story was good thru 5 so viewership stayed because the brothers were front and center. starting with season 6 and the whole angel/demon thing still out there ratings went south. and has never got back its audience because of the cas thing.

• Carrie says:

I’ve heard those same unfortunate rumblings. It’s a shame it will likely play out that way.

• Kate says:

“his fans are so loud and obnoxious.”
      Most of the comments here are perfectly reasonable, polite comments from Cas fans celebrating the return of their favorite. And then there are the comments from Cas-haters like you. Sorry m’dear, but I think it’s you and your fellow haters who are loud and obnoxious. You appear at every single remotely positive online article about Cas/Misha and dogpile it with your spite. You people are the worst example of this fandom.

• Cody says:

Eh? Why shouldn’t we get fan service as well as you? We’re fans of the show too.

• RJ says:

You just want the show to pander to your minority Cas hate. Cas is part of the team with Bobby–that is his purpose.

20. Kalie says:

Love it!

21. Nat says:

I ‘m waiting for the day where there Will be supernatural without castiel. the show should be about Sam and Dean like it used to be.

• alex says:

it is about sam and dean, castiel has only shown twice this season so far.

• Cody says:

It has been about Sam and Dean all season. One of the main TV critics has dropped it because it’s so abysmal, the lack of direction has been roundly derided, and fans are leaving in droves.

• pook says:

actually this season hasn’t been about sam and dean-it has been about bobby, cas and every other tom dick and harry guest star they had this season. sera screwed up big time. bringing cas back was the final straw with most viewers. there was no reason for him to come back. and his coming back was a bigger hit because most spn fans know the show is about the brothers not the brothers, an angel, and a demon and bobby and a computer geek and a little girl hunter and —–well you get my drift.

• Maria says:

You might want to keep in mind that the show’s lack of brotherly moments this season, and the focus on guest stars has happened in lieu of Castiel. The show needs other cast members to take some of the load. Better for it to be someone who is loved by a lot of fans than stunt casting. I’d rather see some Dean-Cas sparks than some guest star I’ve never heard of and have no interest in.

• Linda says:

It never ceases to amaze me how many ECHs show up to complain that Cas has ruined the show when he hasn’t even been in it this season.

• Tania says:

It is too late! If they do the show as it used to be, then it will lose a half of its fans.

22. Candi Fraley says:

23. Glad to see the trenchcoat back, but is it just me or does Misha not fit in it like he once did? Either they’ve made him a new one, or Misha lost weight!
    I hope that through this whole commotion (not sure what to make up of this just yet) Castiel and Bobby will get some talking time together. Those two should have some sort of a spin-off in Heaven or something!

24. James says:

Sounds like a good ep, although they are just recycling ideas now. Castiel? Check. Reluctant prophet? check. Archangels trying to use said prophet? check.
    Sounds like the entire plot of season 5 in one episode. Are they going to leave it on the cliffhanger that ‘Chuck’/God implanted himself into this new prophet to help sam and dean out again?

25. Mikael says:

I wish they could’ve found a way to use the original Meg. She had much better chemistry with Sam and Dean.

26. Sandy says:

Cas excellent character and Misha (excellent actor and person), Bobby excellent character and Jim (excellent actor and person) because they can’t go back to supernatural? For me they come back and stay in supernatural until the end of the series. Fan of the fantastic four of Supernatural. xD

27. Restless says:

Yay happy happy joy joy!
    Though not gonna lie, seeing Cas like this kinda breaks my heart. ;_; Castiel is such a diverse and interesting character. I never expected him to develop like he has.

28. Tracy says:

I have been a fan of Supernatural since the first episode and I have to say that while I do like Castiel, I don’t even think his return can salvage this season. Some of the past few episodes have been pretty good but overall it’s been a rough season to enjoy. All of the heaven and hell stuff has been played out for too long. I would like for them to get back to just Sam and Dean (and the Impala) fighting the monster of the week.

29. Ella says:

Aww, Cas you cutie! I really hope Dean stops being such an ass and forgives Castiel – the good he has done for the brothers far outweighs the bad.

30. Tania says:

They got bored with the sorry game and they invented a new one “castiel’s finger pulling” :D

31. genny schunk says:

I love the show, but this season we lost so much, Bobby Singer, the cool 67 Chevy, and Cas. I’d love to see Bobby and Cas back on as semi-regulars.

32. Morfie says:

I’m glad Cas is back, but I wish we had the old Cas back. The very first version, the proper Cas. He doesn’t serve much purpose in the state he’s in now. :( Also, ghost Bobby is great. :D