HBO Renews Girls and Veep for Second Seasons

Get More: News, Renewals

HBO is investing in Girls power and sent Veep a vote of confidence by renewing both freshman comedies for second seasons, just weeks after their respective debuts.

Girls, which offers a serio-comic look at the humiliations and triumphs of a group of girls in their early 20s, to date is grossing 3.8 million total weekly viewers. Veep stars Emmy winner Julia Louis-Dreyfus as a disenfranchised vice president of the United States, and thus far is averaging 3.7 million weekly viewers.

RELATED | HBO’s Girls and Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ Veep Get Free Showcases to Non-Subscribers

Both shows received 10-episode orders for their sophomore runs.

Which of these HBO newbies are you a bigger fan?

Tags: , ,

Comments (23)

• Great news! Veep was fantastic last night! It’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed a comedy on HBO. Girls is even better. Fine television.

Comment by Rolfe – April 30, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both are great shows. So happy to hear this.

Comment by anthonynewhall – April 30, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • amazing news! I’m really enjoying Veep and Girls.

Comment by juliab – April 30, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy Veep but I wish Julia Louise Dreyfus would return to network TV so we could see 22 episodes of her comic brilliance a year instead of just 10…

Comment by Jay – April 30, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Girls is the worst show I have ever seen on HBO. Sad to see the quality of their comedies plummeting.

Comment by Sharon – April 30, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed. Unfortunately I know that because I watched the show and contributed to the ratings. I’m embarassed for Brian Williams.

Comment by bob – April 30, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. I watched it because of all the hype and gave up on it after the 2nd episode. It’s not funny at all.

Comment by William – April 30, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How it the hell do you cancel How To Make it In America and renew this abortion of a show that is Girls?

Comment by Sg.Grant – April 30, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Girls’ is heinous. Glad to see ‘Veep’ is coming back!

Comment by Cory Chapman – April 30, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I don’t get the love for Girls; it’s awfulness is just punctuated by the rather unpleasant lead character. Veep, on the other hand, is very funny and proves yet again that Julia Louis-Dreyfus is one of the greatest comedic actresses of the last quarter century.

Comment by ChrisGa – April 30, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Girls is funny and I think all the lead actresses are great. But, it’s definitely an acquired taste. (Loved the ‘Sex and the City’ poster in the apartment.) I’m not crazy about Veep, but I still tend to watch it since it is paired with Girls. It’s HBO all Sunday nite for me with GoT at the helm.

Comment by jess – April 30, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Veep! Only one problem: with 10 episodes seasons, this show shou have about 20 seasons

Comment by Sammy – April 30, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It took three episodes but Girls finally made me laugh. So good news!

Comment by Mick – April 30, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is with these short seasons HBO is giving their comedy series lately? Remember when SATC had a few 18 episode seasons in there? Ten episodes is fine but come one, give us more. Thirteen at least. That’s the standard it seems.

Comment by YowzaPowza – April 30, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 10 is hbo’s new standard unfortunately… “true blood” and “boardwalk empire” are the exception with 12 episodes a year.

Comment by Tommy – April 30, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t like either shows. Hung was much better than either of these two.

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – April 30, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Girls please continue it !!!

Comment by lilbitcarriedaway – April 30, 2012 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Veep – I must confess I turned Girls off midway through the first episode. Just didn’t think it was funny at all…. sick of these “cutting edge dark quirky pieces of crap” that critics fawn over…

Comment by xwiseguyx – May 1, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Girls is absolute trash. Lena Dunham is just awful.

But YAY Veep.

Comment by Chance – May 1, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t care for “Girls”, but “Veep” is hysterical.

Comment by aleksa – May 1, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so happy Julia Louis-Dreyfus is back <3 <3

Comment by lipsticksocialism – May 1, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Girls so I am really glad to hear this! Although I wasn’t sold on the show until episode 3. Didn’t actually care much for the first two episodes… am just really glad I stuck with it. Yaaay for a second season!!

Comment by Alex – May 2, 2012 03:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Girls is ridiculously awful. VEEP ALL THE WAY. One of the funniest shows ever.

Comment by Nick – October 30, 2012 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post