Idol Leaderboard: Who Is Your Favorite from the Top 5? (Take Our Poll!)

Attention, Idoloonies! There are only 24 days till the American Idol Season 11 finale, but still plenty of opportunities to pull ahead (or fall to pieces) in your office Idol pool. Indeed, there’s not much separating first from last place as the Top 5  vocalists head into British Music Week, but that won’t stop me from trying to rank ‘em.

So check out my weekly countdown of who’s got momentum heading into the live show, and who’s already shopping for a steel-collared shirt to wear on Thursday Night Guillotining with Ryan Seacrest. Then, take our poll and vote for your own favorite!

American Idol: What Should the Top 5 Cover for ‘British Music’ Week?

5. Hollie Cavanagh (Last Week No. 6) | Previous Bottom 3 staples like Syesha Mercado and Haley Reinhart managed to eventually crack the Top 3, so don’t count out this big-voiced, Texas-by-way-of-Liverpool diva just yet. Her last two weeks have been her strongest to date, and inscrutable criticism from the judges and Jimmy only serves to rally her fan base. That said, still needs to up her game in terms of song selection and stage presence.

Idology: Colton Dixon on How He’ll Handle the ‘Christian Artist’ Label and Why Idol Is ‘Fishy’

4. Jessica Sanchez (Last Week No. 4) | Biggest voice in the Season 11 lineup needed the Judges’ Save to survive a seventh-place shock boot, but that scare put her core fans on speed-dialing alert for the rest of the season. In nine weeks of live performances, she’s barely missed a note, but the judges continue to ask for more energy and excitement, while Jimmy has noted her penchant for choosing songs that are too old for her tender age (i.e. “Try a Little Tenderness,” “Bohemian Rhapsody”). Success or failure may hinge on whether she can showcase her radio-readiness via hip, soulful numbers like “Fallin’” and “Sweet Dreams” to an audience hungry for another mainstream Idol breakout.

3. Joshua Ledet (Last Week No. 3) | Brilliantly stripped down “Ready for Love” in Top 6 week — a nice reminder that he doesn’t need a Gospel chorus or frenetic funk to connect with the audience — and he’s been perhaps the most consistent contestant this entire season. (Even his detractors can only criticize his outré vocal style, not his grasp of pitch or emotional connectedness.) Biggest hindrance now might be that the judges’ kneejerk standing ovations for every one of his performance could turn off an audience sensitive to overpimping.

American Idol: 10 Dream Theme Nights!

2. Skylar Laine (Last Week No. 1) | Country has become a key component of the Idol landscape, and but this party-startin’ Mississippi firecracker has a monster-truck voice to match her personality and saucy persona. “The Show Must Go On” was absolutely stunning, but couldn’t keep her out of the Bottom 3 amid very tight competition — possibly the result of her second performance, a low-key Jason Aldean hit that may not have spoken to the larger Idol audience. Still, her ability to bend songs to fit her country style should/may be enough to carry her to hometown visits.

1. Phillip Phillips (Last Week No. 2) | Avoided the Bottom 3 despite a good-not-great “Fat Bottomed Girls” and a truncated Dave Matthews Band cover that polarized the judges and the audience, too. May be benefitting from a backlash to the “white guys with guitars” backlash — it seems a little uncouth to judge a contestant based on his gender and skin color, even if it’s in relation to the last four Idol winners — but mark my words: Phillip will not make the finale if he’s not careful with pitch and if he fails to show creativity in his song choices/arrangements over the next three weeks. Really, it’s up to him!

Okay, now it’s your turn. Who is your Season 11 favorite? Vote in the poll below, then explain your picks in the comments!

Comments (176)

• Jessica or Skylar ftw!

Comment by Bonnie – April 30, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same, Jessica and Skylar!

Comment by T_T – April 30, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessica FTW :)

Comment by JC – April 30, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jessica! I love me my swaggernaut!

Comment by Kate – May 2, 2012 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CONTESTANTS RANKED IN TERMS OF WHO HAVE THE STRONGEST FAN BASE

1. Phillip – OBVIOUS LARGE DEDICATED FAN BASE, TOWN SUPPORT, YOUNG AND SCREAMING GIRLS, VOTE FOR FULL 2 HOURS, HIGHEST CHANCE OF WINNING AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH ME YOU KNOW THE TRUTH HOWEVER HOPING FOR A SHOCK BOOT ANYTIME SOON IF HE STILL DID NOT UP HIS GAME
      2. Jessica – LARGE DEDICATED ALERT FAN BASE SINCE SHE GOT ALMOST CUT, TOWN SUPPORT, INTERNATIONAL SUPPORT, VOTE FOR FULL 2 HOURS, CAN GO TO TOP 3 OR WIN
      3. Skylar – LARGE COUNTRY DEDICATED FAN BASE NOT AS LARGE AS THE FAN BASE OF SCOTTY, TOWN SUPPORT, VOTE FOR FULL 2 HOURS, CAN BE A PART OF TOP 3 OR WIN
      4. Joshua – SOMEWHAT SMALL DEDICATED GOSPEL FAN BASE, TOWN SUPPORT, VOTE FOR FULL 2 HOURS WHICH ARE MAINLY THROUGH PHONE, THE CONTESTANT THAT IF HE MAINTAIN HIS CONSISTENCY HE WILL WIN OR BE A PART OF TOP 3 OR IF HE WILL HAVE A NOT-SO-GREAT-OR-BAD WEEK HE WILL GO HOME EASILY
      5. Hollie – SMALL DEDICATED FAN BASE, TEEN GIRL ALTERNATIVE TO JESSICA, TOWN SUPPORT, VOTE FOR FULL 2 HOURS, CAN GO UP TO TOP 3 SINCE HER BOTTOM 3 RECORDS ARE SAYING THAT SHE HAS THE MOST BLURRIEST CHANCE OF WINNING

AS FOR MYSELF I AM ROOTING FOR JESSICA SANCHEZ TO WIN!!!

Comment by ANALYST – May 1, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My overall favorite was Elise, so my vote was my second favorite.

Comment by TrulyRoxie – April 30, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to pick nits, but shouldn’t your Hollie paragraph say Liverpool by way of Texas instead of the other way round?

Comment by Branch – April 30, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No. She came to Texas after first living in (by way of) Liverpool.

Comment by Terri – April 30, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • same here.

Comment by noa – April 30, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Random PSA for Elise fans: she is featured on two tracks on iTunes, check them out!
      “All for You (feat. Elise Testone)” by E-Motive
      “Take My Love & Run (feat. Elise Testone)” by Justin Smith
      Both songs are pretty singer-songwriter/folky and she sounds absolutely stunning on both of them! She needs a record deal ASAP!

Comment by Gabe – April 30, 2012 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Random follow-up to this post… Elise is actually featured on 6 songs on Justin Smith’s album “Sinner’s Prayer”!! It was released back in ’06!

Comment by Gabe – April 30, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phillip!!

Comment by Jennifer – April 30, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With you, Jennifer.

Comment by karenb – April 30, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Phillip all the way!

Comment by wordgirl – April 30, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blast from the past….Syesha! Still wondering how she beat Jason Castro outta 3rd place that season. lol

Comment by gailer – April 30, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show absolutely threw Jason under the bus (and I hate that saying, but it was never more true of poor JAson, especially when Paula reading producer notes accidentally judged a song Jason had not even performed yet!!!)

Comment by Jason – April 30, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It still seems like it happened yesterday. lol

Comment by Castrofreak – April 30, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Syesha had better singing ability than Jason but she was almost too serious he was fun funny and had a great personality. His facial expressions were priceless he could sing but not like the others.

Comment by George R – April 30, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • JAson actually won because he got a record deal and I don’t remember seeing a Syesha album. Of course the record didn’t sell anything but he probably got a little coin out of it!!!

Comment by Jason – April 30, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Syesha was always more broadway in style. After Idol, in like 2009 or 2010, she landed a top role in the national touring company of Dreamgirls. Not sure if that is still going or what she is doing now.

Comment by pmet – April 30, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I read somewhere that she was scheduled to perform in a play in New Jersey but I can’t recall the details.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 30, 2012 06:42 PM PDT
        • i’ve read that he’s done well in the Christian market.

Comment by flutiefan – April 30, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Jason’s album is one of the best ever put out by an Idol.

Comment by Krista – April 30, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And Syesha did release an album, I believe.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 30, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked Jason but he was somewhat responsible for his own ouster. He didn’t give his best effort on top four night and was actually relieved when he was eliminated. Simon’s especially vicious comments to him that night didn’t help either…
      Syesha was the consummate fighter, that’s how she got to third place.

Comment by Sha – April 30, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is why I think P2 won’t win , eventually him not getting out of his box will hurt him

Comment by Ramification – April 30, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually wanted a Jason to be in the finale with David Cook but I think that while Jason lost some steam around the Andrew Lloyd Weber week, Syesha managed to turn a few heads and garner some more votes after One Rock N’ Roll Too Many. It’s still one of my favorite songs to put on replay after all these years. And yeah, Jason was definitely thrown under the bus, but I just wanted to defend Syesha because I think she was very underrated in a very good season.

Comment by em – April 30, 2012 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, if anyone but Phillip wins, I will be happy.

Comment by Noel – April 30, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. I’d also add, I’ll be so disappointed if there’s only one girl in the top three this year. The girls are so strong!

Comment by Tracy – April 30, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wholeheartedly endorse this comment.

Comment by ben – April 30, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hear, hear!!

Comment by Rollin'Stoned – April 30, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It just doesn’t matter to Phillip fans if he wins or not. We’re ready for his concert and new album. So we’ve already won!!!

Comment by shelbybb – April 30, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He will win. It’s a lock. After covering DMB exactly arranged like DMB and told he was an artist 8 times in response, I’m pretty sure he could burp out his name as a performance and still walk away with it all.

Comment by Erin – April 30, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Made Me Laugh. :-)

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 30, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica, Hollie, or Joshua for the win! Love Skylar and like Phillip, but I really want a Jess/Hollie/Josh Top 3.

Comment by Annie – April 30, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, am I crazy to believe that Phillip might not make Top 3? His Idol run reminds me more of Jason Castro than Kris/Lee/Scotty.

Comment by Annie – April 30, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes you are crazy..since he did “the Stone” last week we now have the entire DMB fanbase voting for him via several fan sites.

Comment by krysten – April 30, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was last week though… who know what will happen next? I do think that Phillip has to step it up in terms of his performances if he wants to reach Top 3.

Comment by Annie – April 30, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • how many are the DMB fanbase?

Comment by cR!s_BarreDo (@roveris21) – April 30, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the dmb fanbase likes dave, not phillip. we already have dave. we don’t need another one.

Comment by cori – April 30, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Love this post – great point! lol

Comment by Shel – May 1, 2012 12:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica and Joshua for the finale! Woot!

Comment by MusicFan – April 30, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Comment by Lunakit – April 30, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessica and Joshua (was Jessica and Colton)

Comment by Layla – April 30, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Phillip, Skylar finale..

Comment by krysten – April 30, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i don’t like skylar because she always sings the tunes of country songs. she doesn’t know how to sing jazz music and mellows and ballads but not thye tune of country music. but phillip is better her a big difference. and skylar better sing country to their place

Comment by inday – May 3, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first ever all-soul finale would be awesome! unfortunately unlikely though.

Comment by Sha – April 30, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is my ideal too, but Skylar wouldn’t be too disappointing.

Comment by Ben – April 30, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that would be the finale of my nightmares.

Comment by flutiefan – April 30, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This! Snoozeworthy at best…

Comment by Ryan – April 30, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t want Joshua to be in the finale with Jessica he’s the judges pet they’ll give him undeserved standing o’s in the finale so that will just make me gag but it may help Jessica win because everyone loves an underdog :)

Comment by JC – April 30, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seeing online that Jessica may do a Jessie J cover and Philip is doing a Mumford and Sons cover. If true, then they are both defining a post Idol artist that has me really excited in seeing those two in the final. This means they are the two who are left that look for new ways and songs to inject life into Idol.

Comment by HudsonRiverside – May 1, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elise. Oh wait….

#stillbitter

Comment by Kitty – April 30, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree!!!!!

Comment by Sawyer – April 30, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here.

Comment by Zoey – April 30, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too.

Comment by MA – April 30, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it will take a while before i’m over this. bitter indeed.

Comment by noa – April 30, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still haven’t gotten over Alexis Grace not making the tour, and Lauren Turner/Kaetlyn Epperle/Lily Scott not making the Top 12 or 13 (whatever it was the years they were on Idol). Elise’s ouster doesn’t help.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 30, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, I forgot about Katelyn Epperly and Lilly Scott!

WOMEN ARE TALENTED MUSICIANS TOO.

Comment by Kitty – April 30, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • don’t forget “artists”

Comment by noa – April 30, 2012 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want a Joshua and Skylar/Jessica finale.

I’ve been a fan of P2′s since his audition, but he has been boring as hell these last few weeks.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – April 30, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no, i think the last performance of DMB’s “the Stone” was the best performance all season of anyone.

Comment by krysten – April 30, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You mean that mumbled, garbled dreck of a performance wherein the best thing about that performance was the instrumentalist ladies flanking him?

Comment by Flippy from Happy Tree Friends – April 30, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get Phillip. At all. Please, anyone BUT him. Although I voted for Jessica, I’d be fine with Skyler or Joshua as well. I like Hollie too, but don’t think she has a chance.

Comment by MikeH – April 30, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Phillip has the most potential of any of the contestants as far as having a music career. I hope he makes the finale.. then maybe dave matthews band could appear on the finale too..

Comment by krysten – April 30, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Someone is already having PP’s music career. His name is Dave Matthews.

Comment by Scott – April 30, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah well someone is also having Carrie Underwood’s career, and Beyonce’s, and Kelly Clarkson’s, and…..get the point?

Comment by Kirstin E. Jewell – April 30, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • exactly are you saying there can’t be another artist like dave matthews. There are a million carrie’s, miranda’s, soul singer but there can’t be 2 dave matthew’s. that doesnt seem fair.

Comment by Kelly – April 30, 2012 02:53 PM PDT
        • funny, Scott!!!!

Comment by Lunakit – April 30, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Preach!

Comment by cori – April 30, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want the three amigos in the final three: Hollie, Skylar, and Joshua.

Comment by J – April 30, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i don’t like them specially Skylar. and Joshua because he always shouts when he sing.

Comment by inday – May 3, 2012 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know lots of people dislike p2 but i cant help it i like him the best, but i do vote for josh because i think he deserves it. He has proven that he is versitile and a great performer.

Comment by Sam – April 30, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know, I just think that Phil is one of those contestants. Early in the season I compared him to Picasso – clearly talented but I don’t get him. I think for some reason there are a lot of people in the same boat as me. To be honest, the main reason I don’t want Phil to win from this point is the concern that idol is broken, and I want it proved that it isn’t. Phil going out at 4 or 5 would prove that.

Comment by Ben – April 30, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ben – I’m in that boat with you, which started to look like The Titanic when Elise went home. I like P2 the best but for the life of me I don’t know why. I don’t think Idol is broken at all – the Top 10 this year were all good; however, I do think the voting system might deserve some scrutiny.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 30, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skylar for the win! Country with a rock edge is so current. I can see her being ready right now. I don’t know what would happen. Sometimes people vote for different reasons. But I would enjoy the Idol tour much more if Skylar was the winner. Great stage presence

Comment by Natou – April 30, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no it cannot be even country is in today i doesn’t mean that she is the right singer no way this is a contest for any kind of song not only for a country song.

Comment by inday – May 3, 2012 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • still haley reinhart was the best last season, since elise is gone which is theres some similarities with Haley I go to Jessica

Comment by JustMe – April 30, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with this one.. I’m a fan of Haley Reinhart… Haley Reinhart loves Jessica Sanchez thats why my votes will go for Jessica… Haley said that Jessica is “the one”.. so my choice, Jessica for the win..=)

Comment by haley fan – April 30, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skyler and Joshua for the finale!

Comment by Sherry (@fourrats) – April 30, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think so one screeches instead of singing and the other has a nasal problem. Both soooo forgettable. Jessica and Holly with Jessica winning it all !!!!!!

Comment by Ernie Burke – May 3, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phillip and Elise were my faves from the start. Elise is now gone. Phillip gets my vote. But, I agree with Slezak that he better be more careful with his song selections and arrangements. I’m afraid that with all the contestants he really got along with now ousted, he might not be care.

Comment by connerc – April 30, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that Elise has gone home, my favorite Idol is Skylar. She has great stage presence, a lot of personality, has generally picked good songs, and has an amazing and powerful voice.

Comment by Meghan – April 30, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JOSHUA!!!!!! JOSHUA!!!!!! JESSICA!!!!! JOSHUA!!!!!!!

Comment by Lunakit – April 30, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cover up the left side of the article photo above with 2 fingers….that’s my top 3!

Comment by Lunakit – April 30, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My fave Elise went home last week (boo!!!!!!!!) but my 2nd fave Skylar is still there so she got my vote :)

Comment by Michelle – April 30, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holly’s rack is my favorite!!

Comment by Jason – April 30, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello, this is IdolFlash, and welcome to “Predictions Gone Wild!”
    Here’s the thing: ever since DeAndre got voted off, there have been no weak singers in the competition. So now because the contestants are so evenly matched, they have been eliminated in the only order America can think of: alphabetical order by first name.
    Colton was the first victim of this classification, and Elise followed immediately behind. So next to go will be Hollie (she’s been in the Bottom 3 so many times it has to catch up to her now), then Jessica (sorry, people, men will dominate the Top 3; besides, all the cool people go out in 4th), then Joshua, and the finale will come down to Phillip and Skylar, with the cowgirl lassoing herself the prize.
    Questions? Comments? Compliments? Complaints? Words of wisdom? Sound off!

Comment by IdolFlash-7-9-35 – April 30, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Disagree, Haley Reinhart left in Top 3 so technically the cool people do not go out in 4th :P

Also Mindy Doo left in Top 3 ;)

Comment by Sawyer – April 30, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Daughtry and Allison Iraheta went out in 4th and they are way cooler but Jessica will finish at least in 3rd if she messes up which is unlikely :)

Comment by JC – April 30, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This anaylsis could look brilliant in a few weeks lol.

Comment by Ben – April 30, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very cool!

Comment by Libby – April 30, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excellent analysis. If Hollie announces tomorrow that she’s legally changed her name to Zsa Zsa, then we know she’s lurking here!

Comment by Scott – April 30, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Philip and Jessica! Their idol “after the show” favorite theme video Q and A was hilarious! Philip seems to have gotten Jessica to be more comfortable around him than the other male idols in terms of joking around. She hits him with the “Dave Matthews” theme and he fires right back with “Beyonce”. :D

Comment by HudsonRiverside – April 30, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that video was hilarious. Phillip bringing out the goofy side in Jessica

Comment by Sha – April 30, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i didn’t think it was goofy. he really seemed annoyed by her comment.

Comment by noa – April 30, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You gotta be kidding me, Philip was definitely joking around.

Comment by Layla – May 1, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll go out on a limb and predict that Jessica and Hollie’s fan bases will fatally wound each other to the point where they won’t make it to the end. It will end up being Skylar representing country, Phillip representing Rock and Joshua representing soul/r&b. Joshua will get eliminated 1st because that style is weakest among the Idol demographic. The final 2 will be Skylar and Phillip with Skylar winning.

Comment by J. May – April 30, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Elise voters might go to Phillip if they are inclined to keep voting so he might get a new set of voters (?) I still can’t get too excited like I did for Haley last season. But if you’ve listened to the studio versions of these tunes, Phillip sounds the best to me.

Comment by wendeeloo – April 30, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Weirdly enough, after Elise I would be inclined to move to Skylar’s camp. Phillip bores me.

Comment by J. May – April 30, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      ***
      Oh, and I have Jessica in the office pool, so you know…I’ll root for her too. Go, Jessica!!

Comment by MA – April 30, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’m going with Skylar. she’s one of the most impressive 18 year olds this show has ever seen. i’m not a country fan, but she seems to really love music and she knows exactly what she wants to do and i admire that. she’s a great performer and a better singer than Phillip. i’m still not sure if i’ll tune in this week or not. i’ll probably just read the recap and then only watch what Michael says is really good or really bad…

Comment by noa – April 30, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • no she is not a good singer and she over sing and she is OA in singing

Comment by inday – May 3, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eh, Elise should still be in the race. :(

Comment by Zoey – April 30, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone but Jessica will be fine with me.

Comment by RC – April 30, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “mark my words: Phillip will not make the finale if he’s not careful with pitch and if he fails to show creativity in his song choices/arrangements over the next three weeks”

Pretty much every Idol recapper says something like this. Can we stop pretending his victory isn’t inevitable? Were similar things not said about Scotty last year? Who’s going to have a successful career is up in the air, but PP definitely has the season on lock.

Comment by Ken – April 30, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m half expecting a medical disqualification from Philip!!!f Nigel wants Jessica and Joshua to win bad enough he may just pay Philip off, give him a record deal and say he is too sick to perform!!! Other than that Philip is a shoe-in. Wonder what the pay out is if you bet in Vegas!!!

Comment by Jason – April 30, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jason, I had a similar thought. I was thinking that Phillip would forfeit so that he could go have his surgery and recover before the tour. If that happened, Idol (and Phillip) would get a top of press, which is always good. I can see it now: WGWG Dethroned!

Then, with my crystal ball, combined with Uncle Nigel’s wringing of his hands, I can see the theme for next season:

Will this season be the Season of Revenge for WGWG? Will WGWG reclaim the crown?

Love conspiracy theories–even if they’re my own. lol

Comment by karenb – April 30, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think top3 will be Skylar, Phillip, and Joshua. All three have the ability to interpret a song, make you feel it, and tell a story. Jessica and Hollie are beautiful singers, but lack the ability to connect to a song, consistently. But, you know what, no matter who wins, they all deserve it! This has been a great year, contestant wise, on idol. I’ ll hate to see it end.

Comment by Lea H. – April 30, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love for Joshua to win this all, to me he has the whole package. He brings, charisma, talent, and vocal ability, and a sexiness that this old woman shouldn’t even be commenting on. Plus him winning would change the winning ratio. So far out of 10 seasons there have only been 2 Black/AA winners.

Comment by TiaGata – April 30, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i like Joshua as a person.. and he has a powerful voice, but just not my style,..

Comment by krysten – April 30, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Joshua has really grown on me these last few weeks.

Comment by Jules – April 30, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because the population of America is only 12.7% African American it makes statistical sense that there would be more white contestants that make the finals and win because three times more try out. I’m rooting for Joshua to win though!!!

Comment by Jason – April 30, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh and there have been three AA winners!! Ruben, Fantasia, and Jordan!!! That’s 33%! So African American’s are actually beating the Statistics!!!

Comment by Jason – April 30, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh well, as long as they get their statistically filled quota of wins, then I guess we should just accept the stream of boring vanilla winners…

Comment by Brendan – April 30, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That’s a bit of a leap from what my post said. I’m just saying the reason African American’s don’t win every year is because the odds are that it won’t happen. That being said the White Guy With GUitar thing is a stupid thing made up by Vote For The Worst. The last four winners have been completely different genres of music. Summing them up because they are white is riddiculous(Over 60% of the populartion is white. Summing them up because they play guitar is riddiculou, Most musicians play guitar and scotty only played guitar like once..) Just because they are white does not mean they are vanilla. The whole American Idol process means they are vanilla.

Comment by Jason – April 30, 2012 04:14 PM PDT
        • OMG – I forgot about Jordan, and I voted for her!!! LOL!!! Thanks for that.

Comment by TiaGata – May 2, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mmm mm! I agree with everything you say, except maybe the ratio thing. Win or not, more of his style of music/ amazing perf could only be good for the music industry. There’s plenty of room for good ol soul & its time to bring back the funk! Too bad I won’t get to see him anymore once the show is over. Joshua – set yourself up with a great band and go crazy!

Comment by HairLikeATeddyBear – April 30, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah but going by percentage of the population 3 out of 11 would actually be well above so I don’t really see that there is any ratio to complain about.
      I’m not really crazy about his style myself, but I do admit he does have some of the best talent left. I might rank it Jessica and then Joshua, at this point. Honestly I’d have ranked Elise over either though. Philip has sort of started to anti-grow on me. I like Skylar’s style the least of all and she doesn’t seem to bring anything as special as the rest other than her energy, which for whatever reason, doesn’t particular excite me either. Hollie has a nice voice but she’s been quite uneven to say the least, although she has been given a confusing beat down. The only one I might place her ahead of is Skylar.
      At this point I guess I would hope for a Jessica+Joshua final two, although I think I may tune out.

Comment by FreeHaley – April 30, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops as pointed out above, if he wins it would be 4 out of 11 which is wayy higher than percentage that African Americans make up of the US population so there really, really is nothing to complain about there. In fact no other group has been winning at a rate greater than their percent of population. Of course 11 seasons is a crazy small sample so it’s hard to say a lot from it anyway so there would be nothing really out of place if only 1 had one so far or if Joshua wins and makes it 4 out of 11.

Comment by FreeHaley – April 30, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Jessica and Joshua go home next.. final 3 – Skylar, Hollie, Phillip.. – hoping the final 2 are Skylar and Phillip..

Comment by krysten – April 30, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phillip is my favorite, followed by Jessica and Skylar.

Comment by Niki – April 30, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joshua is my favorite, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Skylar win. Phillip is a distant third.

Comment by em – April 30, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phillip IS the white guy with Guitar so if people were voting against The WGWG he would be gone He sucks anyway

Comment by Josh – April 30, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Jessica has the best chance of ending the WGWG curse. I’ve seen her cover songs on youtube and all I can say is WOW! We all know that ballad is her forte but she can also sing R&B/hiphop really good. And she raps too! How cool is that?

Comment by west – April 30, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure how Jessica could have done a ‘young’ Queen or Motown song, hopefully she will pick wisely this week. As for P2 I really can’t see him winning as popular as he is the minute we get down to top 3/ top 2 fans will actively vote against the WGWG

Comment by Ramification – April 30, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skyler tries too much to be like Carrie Underwood. It bugs me. Jessica/Joshua/Hollie are my top 3.

Comment by Steph – April 30, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i thought she was trying to be Miranda Lambert, but i get what you’re saying.

Comment by flutiefan – April 30, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • After having TWO Country singers crammed down our throat last year, no matter what their performances were like – sucked – if everyone is crying WGWG – I think Country has already had its day (and I am a country western fan) I think Skylar is very talented, she really can light up the stage – but she so sounds like Reba McIntyre – there are millions of good country singers. I think Joshua is an overall great choice – he is a throw back to the great singers of the past – but he puts on a wonderful performance – Jessica’s voice is fantastic, but she is a stand still sing only performer. – PP sounds good but its so funny to watch him screw up his face – I remember them trying to get Kris Allen to quit making faces and he was not half as bad as PP – yet the judges never seem to comment – All are talented – All have done great in the past – I hope that the judges keep their comments non biased and the contestants can be judged on how they perform on Wednesday’s – may the one who gets the most people to vote for them be the winner!!!!

Comment by Boots – April 30, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carrie is way too Barbie doll for Skylar to emulate. Reba, yes. Miranda, sure. Not Carrie.

Comment by Suzie – April 30, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How come idology is top 7 and not top 6??

Comment by Tommyo2000 – April 30, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the new one hasn’t been posted yet.

Comment by noa – April 30, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? We have an article talking about the top 5.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 30, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t seen any of the show. Too many contest shows & ABC is starting another.

Comment by Pat – April 30, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phillip(Scotty) and Skylar(Lauren) will be in the finale setting us up for another predictable win by the WGWG. And after this season, the show is officially dead. I’m watching less of this show. Even though X-Factor and The Voice still aren’t perfect, they are ending with MUCH better winners so I think they are gonna take over soon.

Comment by Brendan – April 30, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • every contestant in the top 10 is far more interesting and marketable than anyone on the voice. The contestants on the voice aren’t interesting. Love or hate an idol contestant, you can spend hours analyzing and talking about them…couldn’t say the same thing about the voice.

Comment by Kelly – April 30, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But these shows are getting old. Next up ”Duets”. Idol, The X Factor, The Voice are all becoming old, old, old – mainly because they encourage so much oversinging.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 30, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And they encourage oversinging of the same songs. I’m always surprised when I attempt to stomach an episode of “The Voice” and they’re singing the same stuff that they’re singing on Idol.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 30, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elise was on “Live! With Kelly” this morning. Just watched DVR of it and she had a beautiful performance and got tons of props from Kelly who just couldn’t believe she could’ve been eliminated, said she was totally shocked. Anyway, as Kelly said wow “I just don’t know what America wants but you are the real deal, you sound amazing.”

Comment by FreeHaley – April 30, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What did you expect her to say? God, you suck?

Comment by Suzie – April 30, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        ***
        I saw that FreeHaley. It was great! Elise sounded fantastic.

Comment by MA – April 30, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, but they don’t always carry their enthusiasm nearly so far. It was well more than just being polite.

Comment by FreeHaley – April 30, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • jessica and joshua! skylar doesnt stand a chance.

Comment by michael m. – April 30, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still bummed about Elise leaving. Of the five left standing my favorites are, in a particular order, Phillip, Joshua/Hollie/Skylar (depending on my mood and their performance), and Jessica. I’m not sure I’m all that wild about Phillip but if I’m honest with myself I like him the best.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 30, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Idology video was posted on Monday. Today’s Monday, 8:00 CST and still no video?

Comment by Jo March – April 30, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After all the hoorays from the judges, this is actually quite a disappointing top 5, none of them stand out as potential super stars. I suppose the strength of the competition is that there is no stand out even if P2 doesn’t need to perform all that well to survive the public vote, too much like Scottie last season.

Comment by ejones – April 30, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping for a top three of Joshua, Jessica and Phillip.

Comment by Davey – April 30, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1 although i’m still hoping Elise will somehow make it haha

Comment by FreeHaley – April 30, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you agree with this?
    Philip (Scotty)
    Skylar (Lauren)
    Jessica (Haley)

Philip never lands in the bottom three… same case with Scotty.

Skylar is similar to Lauren… They’re both country singers… and I think he will be in the finale with Philip.

Jessica is similar to Haley because both of them have a Huge Fan Base… And I also remember Haley saying that “Jessica is the one”… Haley is rooting for Jessica..

Let’s see guys…

Comment by james – April 30, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, Philip doesn’t even wildly, remotely remind me of Scotty at all.
      Joshua = Jacob (only much more controlled)
      Skylar = Lauren (only a lot more twangy and less pop and really only because both are female and sing some country)
      Jessica+Elise = Haley (Haley had the kinda old school and artistry and interesting vibe and rockin it out and rockish vocal tricks and some of the same troubles with what people say of Elise mixed with some of the range and somewhat purer voice and more classic vocal tricks of Jessica, she just reminds me sort of a mix of two)
      Not that philip is really like casey at all either but i’d out him there sooner than with scotty.
      Jessica+Hollie = maybe sort of Pia

Comment by FreeHaley – April 30, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jessica has bits of Haley and Jennifer Hudson which is probably why both idols like her.

Comment by Layla – May 1, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jacob=Joshua
      Haley=ELISE
      Pia=Hollie
      Thia=Jessica
      Casey=Phillip
      Lauren=Skylar
      Scotty= NO ONE THANK GOODNESS

Comment by callum – May 22, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Based on performances to date, consistency and overall talent-it should be Josh in the final. The other? Anyone but Phillip

Comment by Top Cat – April 30, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • P2 is winning the whole thing. I don’t think there’s any doubt. But I love all the other contestants as strong runners up.

Comment by Henry – April 30, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post