Idol Leaderboard: Who Is Your Favorite from the Top 5? (Take Our Poll!)

Attention, Idoloonies! There are only 24 days till the American Idol Season 11 finale, but still plenty of opportunities to pull ahead (or fall to pieces) in your office Idol pool. Indeed, there’s not much separating first from last place as the Top 5  vocalists head into British Music Week, but that won’t stop me from trying to rank ‘em.

So check out my weekly countdown of who’s got momentum heading into the live show, and who’s already shopping for a steel-collared shirt to wear on Thursday Night Guillotining with Ryan Seacrest. Then, take our poll and vote for your own favorite!

American Idol: What Should the Top 5 Cover for ‘British Music’ Week?

5. Hollie Cavanagh (Last Week No. 6) | Previous Bottom 3 staples like Syesha Mercado and Haley Reinhart managed to eventually crack the Top 3, so don’t count out this big-voiced, Texas-by-way-of-Liverpool diva just yet. Her last two weeks have been her strongest to date, and inscrutable criticism from the judges and Jimmy only serves to rally her fan base. That said, still needs to up her game in terms of song selection and stage presence.

Idology: Colton Dixon on How He’ll Handle the ‘Christian Artist’ Label and Why Idol Is ‘Fishy’

4. Jessica Sanchez (Last Week No. 4) | Biggest voice in the Season 11 lineup needed the Judges’ Save to survive a seventh-place shock boot, but that scare put her core fans on speed-dialing alert for the rest of the season. In nine weeks of live performances, she’s barely missed a note, but the judges continue to ask for more energy and excitement, while Jimmy has noted her penchant for choosing songs that are too old for her tender age (i.e. “Try a Little Tenderness,” “Bohemian Rhapsody”). Success or failure may hinge on whether she can showcase her radio-readiness via hip, soulful numbers like “Fallin'” and “Sweet Dreams” to an audience hungry for another mainstream Idol breakout.

3. Joshua Ledet (Last Week No. 3) | Brilliantly stripped down “Ready for Love” in Top 6 week — a nice reminder that he doesn’t need a Gospel chorus or frenetic funk to connect with the audience — and he’s been perhaps the most consistent contestant this entire season. (Even his detractors can only criticize his outré vocal style, not his grasp of pitch or emotional connectedness.) Biggest hindrance now might be that the judges’ kneejerk standing ovations for every one of his performance could turn off an audience sensitive to overpimping.

American Idol: 10 Dream Theme Nights!

2. Skylar Laine (Last Week No. 1) | Country has become a key component of the Idol landscape, and but this party-startin’ Mississippi firecracker has a monster-truck voice to match her personality and saucy persona. “The Show Must Go On” was absolutely stunning, but couldn’t keep her out of the Bottom 3 amid very tight competition — possibly the result of her second performance, a low-key Jason Aldean hit that may not have spoken to the larger Idol audience. Still, her ability to bend songs to fit her country style should/may be enough to carry her to hometown visits.

1. Phillip Phillips (Last Week No. 2) | Avoided the Bottom 3 despite a good-not-great “Fat Bottomed Girls” and a truncated Dave Matthews Band cover that polarized the judges and the audience, too. May be benefitting from a backlash to the “white guys with guitars” backlash — it seems a little uncouth to judge a contestant based on his gender and skin color, even if it’s in relation to the last four Idol winners — but mark my words: Phillip will not make the finale if he’s not careful with pitch and if he fails to show creativity in his song choices/arrangements over the next three weeks. Really, it’s up to him!

Okay, now it’s your turn. Who is your Season 11 favorite? Vote in the poll below, then explain your picks in the comments!

1. Bonnie says:

Jessica or Skylar ftw!

• T_T says:

Same, Jessica and Skylar!

• JC says:

Jessica FTW :)

• ANALYST says:

CONTESTANTS RANKED IN TERMS OF WHO HAVE THE STRONGEST FAN BASE

1. Phillip – OBVIOUS LARGE DEDICATED FAN BASE, TOWN SUPPORT, YOUNG AND SCREAMING GIRLS, VOTE FOR FULL 2 HOURS, HIGHEST CHANCE OF WINNING AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH ME YOU KNOW THE TRUTH HOWEVER HOPING FOR A SHOCK BOOT ANYTIME SOON IF HE STILL DID NOT UP HIS GAME
      2. Jessica – LARGE DEDICATED ALERT FAN BASE SINCE SHE GOT ALMOST CUT, TOWN SUPPORT, INTERNATIONAL SUPPORT, VOTE FOR FULL 2 HOURS, CAN GO TO TOP 3 OR WIN
      3. Skylar – LARGE COUNTRY DEDICATED FAN BASE NOT AS LARGE AS THE FAN BASE OF SCOTTY, TOWN SUPPORT, VOTE FOR FULL 2 HOURS, CAN BE A PART OF TOP 3 OR WIN
      4. Joshua – SOMEWHAT SMALL DEDICATED GOSPEL FAN BASE, TOWN SUPPORT, VOTE FOR FULL 2 HOURS WHICH ARE MAINLY THROUGH PHONE, THE CONTESTANT THAT IF HE MAINTAIN HIS CONSISTENCY HE WILL WIN OR BE A PART OF TOP 3 OR IF HE WILL HAVE A NOT-SO-GREAT-OR-BAD WEEK HE WILL GO HOME EASILY
      5. Hollie – SMALL DEDICATED FAN BASE, TEEN GIRL ALTERNATIVE TO JESSICA, TOWN SUPPORT, VOTE FOR FULL 2 HOURS, CAN GO UP TO TOP 3 SINCE HER BOTTOM 3 RECORDS ARE SAYING THAT SHE HAS THE MOST BLURRIEST CHANCE OF WINNING

AS FOR MYSELF I AM ROOTING FOR JESSICA SANCHEZ TO WIN!!!

2. TrulyRoxie says:

My overall favorite was Elise, so my vote was my second favorite.

3. Jennifer says:

Phillip!!

4. gailer says:

Blast from the past….Syesha! Still wondering how she beat Jason Castro outta 3rd place that season. lol

• Jason says:

The show absolutely threw Jason under the bus (and I hate that saying, but it was never more true of poor JAson, especially when Paula reading producer notes accidentally judged a song Jason had not even performed yet!!!)

• George R says:

Syesha had better singing ability than Jason but she was almost too serious he was fun funny and had a great personality. His facial expressions were priceless he could sing but not like the others.

• Jason says:

JAson actually won because he got a record deal and I don’t remember seeing a Syesha album. Of course the record didn’t sell anything but he probably got a little coin out of it!!!

• Sha says:

I liked Jason but he was somewhat responsible for his own ouster. He didn’t give his best effort on top four night and was actually relieved when he was eliminated. Simon’s especially vicious comments to him that night didn’t help either…
      Syesha was the consummate fighter, that’s how she got to third place.

• em says:

I actually wanted a Jason to be in the finale with David Cook but I think that while Jason lost some steam around the Andrew Lloyd Weber week, Syesha managed to turn a few heads and garner some more votes after One Rock N’ Roll Too Many. It’s still one of my favorite songs to put on replay after all these years. And yeah, Jason was definitely thrown under the bus, but I just wanted to defend Syesha because I think she was very underrated in a very good season.

5. Noel says:

Honestly, if anyone but Phillip wins, I will be happy.

6. Annie says:

Jessica, Hollie, or Joshua for the win! Love Skylar and like Phillip, but I really want a Jess/Hollie/Josh Top 3.

7. Annie says:

Also, am I crazy to believe that Phillip might not make Top 3? His Idol run reminds me more of Jason Castro than Kris/Lee/Scotty.

8. MusicFan says:

Jessica and Joshua for the finale! Woot!

• Lunakit says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

• Layla says:

Jessica and Joshua (was Jessica and Colton)

• krysten says:

Phillip, Skylar finale..

• inday says:

i don’t like skylar because she always sings the tunes of country songs. she doesn’t know how to sing jazz music and mellows and ballads but not thye tune of country music. but phillip is better her a big difference. and skylar better sing country to their place

• Sha says:

The first ever all-soul finale would be awesome! unfortunately unlikely though.

• Ben says:

This is my ideal too, but Skylar wouldn’t be too disappointing.

• flutiefan says:

that would be the finale of my nightmares.

• JC says:

I don’t want Joshua to be in the finale with Jessica he’s the judges pet they’ll give him undeserved standing o’s in the finale so that will just make me gag but it may help Jessica win because everyone loves an underdog :)

• HudsonRiverside says:

Seeing online that Jessica may do a Jessie J cover and Philip is doing a Mumford and Sons cover. If true, then they are both defining a post Idol artist that has me really excited in seeing those two in the final. This means they are the two who are left that look for new ways and songs to inject life into Idol.

9. Kitty says:

Elise. Oh wait….

#stillbitter

10. I really want a Joshua and Skylar/Jessica finale.

I’ve been a fan of P2’s since his audition, but he has been boring as hell these last few weeks.

11. MikeH says:

I don’t get Phillip. At all. Please, anyone BUT him. Although I voted for Jessica, I’d be fine with Skyler or Joshua as well. I like Hollie too, but don’t think she has a chance.

12. J says:

I want the three amigos in the final three: Hollie, Skylar, and Joshua.

13. Sam says:

I know lots of people dislike p2 but i cant help it i like him the best, but i do vote for josh because i think he deserves it. He has proven that he is versitile and a great performer.

• Ben says:

You know, I just think that Phil is one of those contestants. Early in the season I compared him to Picasso – clearly talented but I don’t get him. I think for some reason there are a lot of people in the same boat as me. To be honest, the main reason I don’t want Phil to win from this point is the concern that idol is broken, and I want it proved that it isn’t. Phil going out at 4 or 5 would prove that.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Ben – I’m in that boat with you, which started to look like The Titanic when Elise went home. I like P2 the best but for the life of me I don’t know why. I don’t think Idol is broken at all – the Top 10 this year were all good; however, I do think the voting system might deserve some scrutiny.

14. Natou says:

Skylar for the win! Country with a rock edge is so current. I can see her being ready right now. I don’t know what would happen. Sometimes people vote for different reasons. But I would enjoy the Idol tour much more if Skylar was the winner. Great stage presence

• inday says:

no it cannot be even country is in today i doesn’t mean that she is the right singer no way this is a contest for any kind of song not only for a country song.

15. JustMe says:

still haley reinhart was the best last season, since elise is gone which is theres some similarities with Haley I go to Jessica

• haley fan says:

I have to agree with this one.. I’m a fan of Haley Reinhart… Haley Reinhart loves Jessica Sanchez thats why my votes will go for Jessica… Haley said that Jessica is “the one”.. so my choice, Jessica for the win..=)

16. Skyler and Joshua for the finale!

• Ernie Burke says:

I don’t think so one screeches instead of singing and the other has a nasal problem. Both soooo forgettable. Jessica and Holly with Jessica winning it all !!!!!!

17. connerc says:

Phillip and Elise were my faves from the start. Elise is now gone. Phillip gets my vote. But, I agree with Slezak that he better be more careful with his song selections and arrangements. I’m afraid that with all the contestants he really got along with now ousted, he might not be care.

18. Meghan says:

Now that Elise has gone home, my favorite Idol is Skylar. She has great stage presence, a lot of personality, has generally picked good songs, and has an amazing and powerful voice.

19. Lunakit says:

JOSHUA!!!!!! JOSHUA!!!!!! JESSICA!!!!! JOSHUA!!!!!!!

20. Lunakit says:

Cover up the left side of the article photo above with 2 fingers….that’s my top 3!

21. Michelle says:

My fave Elise went home last week (boo!!!!!!!!) but my 2nd fave Skylar is still there so she got my vote :)

22. Jason says:

Holly’s rack is my favorite!!

23. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Hello, this is IdolFlash, and welcome to “Predictions Gone Wild!”
    Here’s the thing: ever since DeAndre got voted off, there have been no weak singers in the competition. So now because the contestants are so evenly matched, they have been eliminated in the only order America can think of: alphabetical order by first name.
    Colton was the first victim of this classification, and Elise followed immediately behind. So next to go will be Hollie (she’s been in the Bottom 3 so many times it has to catch up to her now), then Jessica (sorry, people, men will dominate the Top 3; besides, all the cool people go out in 4th), then Joshua, and the finale will come down to Phillip and Skylar, with the cowgirl lassoing herself the prize.
    Questions? Comments? Compliments? Complaints? Words of wisdom? Sound off!

24. HudsonRiverside says:

Philip and Jessica! Their idol “after the show” favorite theme video Q and A was hilarious! Philip seems to have gotten Jessica to be more comfortable around him than the other male idols in terms of joking around. She hits him with the “Dave Matthews” theme and he fires right back with “Beyonce”. :D

25. J. May says:

I’ll go out on a limb and predict that Jessica and Hollie’s fan bases will fatally wound each other to the point where they won’t make it to the end. It will end up being Skylar representing country, Phillip representing Rock and Joshua representing soul/r&b. Joshua will get eliminated 1st because that style is weakest among the Idol demographic. The final 2 will be Skylar and Phillip with Skylar winning.

26. wendeeloo says:

I think Elise voters might go to Phillip if they are inclined to keep voting so he might get a new set of voters (?) I still can’t get too excited like I did for Haley last season. But if you’ve listened to the studio versions of these tunes, Phillip sounds the best to me.

• J. May says:

Weirdly enough, after Elise I would be inclined to move to Skylar’s camp. Phillip bores me.

• MA says:

At the beginning, Phillip and Elise were my favorites. I saw them both on the same audition show (I think the only one I watched) and was completely taken with them both. They struck me as unique (I don’t really know DMB) and real musicians. But over the course of the season, Sklyar has crept up on me. I don’t know how it happened, but with Elise now gone, (Boo! Hiss!), I’m rooting for Skylar. I also really like Hollie, but that’s nearly all personality and charm. Of the five left, she’s the most novice performer. I’d like to see her pay some dues, get some real confidence, and then emerge to knock everyone out.
      ***
      Oh, and I have Jessica in the office pool, so you know…I’ll root for her too. Go, Jessica!!

• noa says:

i’m going with Skylar. she’s one of the most impressive 18 year olds this show has ever seen. i’m not a country fan, but she seems to really love music and she knows exactly what she wants to do and i admire that. she’s a great performer and a better singer than Phillip. i’m still not sure if i’ll tune in this week or not. i’ll probably just read the recap and then only watch what Michael says is really good or really bad…

27. Zoey says:

Eh, Elise should still be in the race. :(

28. RC says:

Anyone but Jessica will be fine with me.

29. Ken says:

“mark my words: Phillip will not make the finale if he’s not careful with pitch and if he fails to show creativity in his song choices/arrangements over the next three weeks”

Pretty much every Idol recapper says something like this. Can we stop pretending his victory isn’t inevitable? Were similar things not said about Scotty last year? Who’s going to have a successful career is up in the air, but PP definitely has the season on lock.

• Jason says:

I’m half expecting a medical disqualification from Philip!!!f Nigel wants Jessica and Joshua to win bad enough he may just pay Philip off, give him a record deal and say he is too sick to perform!!! Other than that Philip is a shoe-in. Wonder what the pay out is if you bet in Vegas!!!

• karenb says:

Jason, I had a similar thought. I was thinking that Phillip would forfeit so that he could go have his surgery and recover before the tour. If that happened, Idol (and Phillip) would get a top of press, which is always good. I can see it now: WGWG Dethroned!

Then, with my crystal ball, combined with Uncle Nigel’s wringing of his hands, I can see the theme for next season:

Will this season be the Season of Revenge for WGWG? Will WGWG reclaim the crown?

Love conspiracy theories–even if they’re my own. lol

30. Lea H. says:

I think top3 will be Skylar, Phillip, and Joshua. All three have the ability to interpret a song, make you feel it, and tell a story. Jessica and Hollie are beautiful singers, but lack the ability to connect to a song, consistently. But, you know what, no matter who wins, they all deserve it! This has been a great year, contestant wise, on idol. I’ ll hate to see it end.

31. TiaGata says:

I would love for Joshua to win this all, to me he has the whole package. He brings, charisma, talent, and vocal ability, and a sexiness that this old woman shouldn’t even be commenting on. Plus him winning would change the winning ratio. So far out of 10 seasons there have only been 2 Black/AA winners.

• krysten says:

i like Joshua as a person.. and he has a powerful voice, but just not my style,..

• Jason says:

Because the population of America is only 12.7% African American it makes statistical sense that there would be more white contestants that make the finals and win because three times more try out. I’m rooting for Joshua to win though!!!

• Jason says:

Oh and there have been three AA winners!! Ruben, Fantasia, and Jordan!!! That’s 33%! So African American’s are actually beating the Statistics!!!

• Brendan says:

Oh well, as long as they get their statistically filled quota of wins, then I guess we should just accept the stream of boring vanilla winners…

• Jason says:

That’s a bit of a leap from what my post said. I’m just saying the reason African American’s don’t win every year is because the odds are that it won’t happen. That being said the White Guy With GUitar thing is a stupid thing made up by Vote For The Worst. The last four winners have been completely different genres of music. Summing them up because they are white is riddiculous(Over 60% of the populartion is white. Summing them up because they play guitar is riddiculou, Most musicians play guitar and scotty only played guitar like once..) Just because they are white does not mean they are vanilla. The whole American Idol process means they are vanilla.

• TiaGata says:

OMG – I forgot about Jordan, and I voted for her!!! LOL!!! Thanks for that.

• HairLikeATeddyBear says:

Mmm mm! I agree with everything you say, except maybe the ratio thing. Win or not, more of his style of music/ amazing perf could only be good for the music industry. There’s plenty of room for good ol soul & its time to bring back the funk! Too bad I won’t get to see him anymore once the show is over. Joshua – set yourself up with a great band and go crazy!

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah but going by percentage of the population 3 out of 11 would actually be well above so I don’t really see that there is any ratio to complain about.
      I’m not really crazy about his style myself, but I do admit he does have some of the best talent left. I might rank it Jessica and then Joshua, at this point. Honestly I’d have ranked Elise over either though. Philip has sort of started to anti-grow on me. I like Skylar’s style the least of all and she doesn’t seem to bring anything as special as the rest other than her energy, which for whatever reason, doesn’t particular excite me either. Hollie has a nice voice but she’s been quite uneven to say the least, although she has been given a confusing beat down. The only one I might place her ahead of is Skylar.
      At this point I guess I would hope for a Jessica+Joshua final two, although I think I may tune out.

• FreeHaley says:

Oops as pointed out above, if he wins it would be 4 out of 11 which is wayy higher than percentage that African Americans make up of the US population so there really, really is nothing to complain about there. In fact no other group has been winning at a rate greater than their percent of population. Of course 11 seasons is a crazy small sample so it’s hard to say a lot from it anyway so there would be nothing really out of place if only 1 had one so far or if Joshua wins and makes it 4 out of 11.

32. krysten says:

I hope Jessica and Joshua go home next.. final 3 – Skylar, Hollie, Phillip.. – hoping the final 2 are Skylar and Phillip..

33. Niki says:

Phillip is my favorite, followed by Jessica and Skylar.

34. em says:

Joshua is my favorite, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Skylar win. Phillip is a distant third.

35. Josh says:

Phillip IS the white guy with Guitar so if people were voting against The WGWG he would be gone He sucks anyway

36. west says:

I think Jessica has the best chance of ending the WGWG curse. I’ve seen her cover songs on youtube and all I can say is WOW! We all know that ballad is her forte but she can also sing R&B/hiphop really good. And she raps too! How cool is that?

37. Ramification says:

Not sure how Jessica could have done a ‘young’ Queen or Motown song, hopefully she will pick wisely this week. As for P2 I really can’t see him winning as popular as he is the minute we get down to top 3/ top 2 fans will actively vote against the WGWG

38. Steph says:

Skyler tries too much to be like Carrie Underwood. It bugs me. Jessica/Joshua/Hollie are my top 3.

• flutiefan says:

i thought she was trying to be Miranda Lambert, but i get what you’re saying.

• Boots says:

After having TWO Country singers crammed down our throat last year, no matter what their performances were like – sucked – if everyone is crying WGWG – I think Country has already had its day (and I am a country western fan) I think Skylar is very talented, she really can light up the stage – but she so sounds like Reba McIntyre – there are millions of good country singers. I think Joshua is an overall great choice – he is a throw back to the great singers of the past – but he puts on a wonderful performance – Jessica’s voice is fantastic, but she is a stand still sing only performer. – PP sounds good but its so funny to watch him screw up his face – I remember them trying to get Kris Allen to quit making faces and he was not half as bad as PP – yet the judges never seem to comment – All are talented – All have done great in the past – I hope that the judges keep their comments non biased and the contestants can be judged on how they perform on Wednesday’s – may the one who gets the most people to vote for them be the winner!!!!

• Suzie says:

Carrie is way too Barbie doll for Skylar to emulate. Reba, yes. Miranda, sure. Not Carrie.

39. Tommyo2000 says:

How come idology is top 7 and not top 6??

40. Pat says:

Haven’t seen any of the show. Too many contest shows & ABC is starting another.

41. Brendan says:

Phillip(Scotty) and Skylar(Lauren) will be in the finale setting us up for another predictable win by the WGWG. And after this season, the show is officially dead. I’m watching less of this show. Even though X-Factor and The Voice still aren’t perfect, they are ending with MUCH better winners so I think they are gonna take over soon.

• Kelly says:

every contestant in the top 10 is far more interesting and marketable than anyone on the voice. The contestants on the voice aren’t interesting. Love or hate an idol contestant, you can spend hours analyzing and talking about them…couldn’t say the same thing about the voice.

• Name That Tune says:

But these shows are getting old. Next up ”Duets”. Idol, The X Factor, The Voice are all becoming old, old, old – mainly because they encourage so much oversinging.

• darcy's evil twin says:

And they encourage oversinging of the same songs. I’m always surprised when I attempt to stomach an episode of “The Voice” and they’re singing the same stuff that they’re singing on Idol.

42. FreeHaley says:

Elise was on “Live! With Kelly” this morning. Just watched DVR of it and she had a beautiful performance and got tons of props from Kelly who just couldn’t believe she could’ve been eliminated, said she was totally shocked. Anyway, as Kelly said wow “I just don’t know what America wants but you are the real deal, you sound amazing.”

43. michael m. says:

jessica and joshua! skylar doesnt stand a chance.

44. darcy's evil twin says:

Still bummed about Elise leaving. Of the five left standing my favorites are, in a particular order, Phillip, Joshua/Hollie/Skylar (depending on my mood and their performance), and Jessica. I’m not sure I’m all that wild about Phillip but if I’m honest with myself I like him the best.

45. Jo March says:

I thought Idology video was posted on Monday. Today’s Monday, 8:00 CST and still no video?

46. ejones says:

After all the hoorays from the judges, this is actually quite a disappointing top 5, none of them stand out as potential super stars. I suppose the strength of the competition is that there is no stand out even if P2 doesn’t need to perform all that well to survive the public vote, too much like Scottie last season.

47. Davey says:

Hoping for a top three of Joshua, Jessica and Phillip.

48. james says:

Do you agree with this?
    Philip (Scotty)
    Skylar (Lauren)
    Jessica (Haley)

Philip never lands in the bottom three… same case with Scotty.

Skylar is similar to Lauren… They’re both country singers… and I think he will be in the finale with Philip.

Jessica is similar to Haley because both of them have a Huge Fan Base… And I also remember Haley saying that “Jessica is the one”… Haley is rooting for Jessica..

Let’s see guys…

• FreeHaley says:

No, Philip doesn’t even wildly, remotely remind me of Scotty at all.
      Joshua = Jacob (only much more controlled)
      Skylar = Lauren (only a lot more twangy and less pop and really only because both are female and sing some country)
      Jessica+Elise = Haley (Haley had the kinda old school and artistry and interesting vibe and rockin it out and rockish vocal tricks and some of the same troubles with what people say of Elise mixed with some of the range and somewhat purer voice and more classic vocal tricks of Jessica, she just reminds me sort of a mix of two)
      Not that philip is really like casey at all either but i’d out him there sooner than with scotty.
      Jessica+Hollie = maybe sort of Pia

• callum says:

Jacob=Joshua
      Haley=ELISE
      Pia=Hollie
      Thia=Jessica
      Casey=Phillip
      Lauren=Skylar
      Scotty= NO ONE THANK GOODNESS

49. Top Cat says:

Based on performances to date, consistency and overall talent-it should be Josh in the final. The other? Anyone but Phillip

50. Henry says:

P2 is winning the whole thing. I don’t think there’s any doubt. But I love all the other contestants as strong runners up.