Idology: Colton Dixon on How He'll Handle the 'Christian Artist' Label and Why Idol Is 'Fishy'

colton dixon idolColton Dixon doesn’t necessarily want to be saddled with a ‘Christian Artist’ label, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be talking about his faith in God when he takes the stage in his post-American Idol career. The Season 11 seventh-place finisher discusses this conundrum during a candid Idology chat, as well as his complicated relationship with Interscope honcho Jimmy Iovine, his unfulfilled desire for a standing ovation from the Idol judges, the peculiarity of being caught in a fake showmance, and the trouble with little-girl voting blocs.

American Idol: What Should the Top 5 Cover for ‘British Music’ Week? We’ve Got Suggestions!

So press play below for the full Colton expeirence, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. James says:

These need to be longer then 10 flippin minutes!

2. Mel says:

Thank you so much for this interview, Michael – you are truly one of the best interviewers I’ve ever seen. Colton, I’ve been a huge fan of yours since last season, and this season I voted for you after every single one of your performances (and I’m not a teenager). You were brilliant and engaging on the show; I couldn’t wait to see what you’d do each week, and your ability to rearrange music on the piano blew me away. In my opinion, none of the other contestants–despite their talent–have been able to create that kind of excited anticipation, nor have they been able to surprise and delight quite the way you do. I love your confidence and warmth regarding your faith, and regarding those who don’t share it (I actually do). I miss you terribly on the show, and I will absolutely buy your music. Please hurry up and make some! All the best to you.

3. Lisa says:

I love him! I really have lost interest in the show since he was eliminated. Can’t wait to buy his music

4. ingisam says:

“I look towards the red light. That’s all it is.” I think the other contestants do this too, although not too often. But there’s just really something about Colton’s deep set eyes and piercing gaze — like he’s staring right at your soul. I think that’s what it is.

“Several contestants still left, they can out-sing me, hands down… American Idol’s more about the whole package than just the best singer, I believe.” It’s nice to hear him acknowledge this. I am a huge fan of Colton, but I admit that he is not the best singer. Looking at the whole package though, I definitely think he should’ve been in the finale.

“If you don’t like it, don’t vote.” I can understand how some people may see this as a bit cocky, but it makes sense to me.

“If America sees me as constantly turning off, and just me turning off in general, I’m not gonna be able to expand and I’m not gonna be able to grow as an artist on the show.” This made me smile. It shows a lot of maturity on his part. He knows what kind of artist he is, but at the same time, he’s open to criticism and he’s willing to think outside the box and try new things.

“Really? I’m doing another cheesy country duet, like really? That fits me so well!” This is my favorite part. Hahaha

On a side note, I think it’s really cute when his face is all serious and then he suddenly breaks out a smile. :)

5. ingisam says:

I think it’s also nice how a lot of people who were not really Colton Dixon fans are now warming up to him because of this interview. It shows what a great personality he has. :)

6. NedPepper says:

I still can’t figure this guy out. Maybe that’s his mystique and charm. Religious, prickly, emo-effeminate-sensitive, a little arrogant, sort of likable, obsessed with his hair, somewhat…bitter, maybe, about his Idol experience, a little southern drawl with a lisp. Goth emo fashion obsessed.(And I’ll be honest…gay, straight, none of the above?) He’s hard to pin down, period. I wish him luck with Christian rock career, though. Not my thing, but he has a lot obsessed fans.

7. Shel says:

Just watched the Colton interview and I think I may have a clue why I didn’t really click with him at all – he was playing the game. I’m not holding it against him, per se. But I wonder if that was why I didn’t really ever feel a genuine connection with him. And, like Michael, it was his “I Love The Way You Lie” performance where he started to break through for me – and, what to you know, it was a Jimmy idea. Perhaps Colton was more interested in appearing open to all these helpers than actually BEing open…and that may have come through too. I admire his honesty about his faith, because I would never want to go to a concert where someone started preaching to me. It is good to have that out there for all to know. I wish him well.

8. Jo March says:

Yuck! I’m a Christian and I can’t stand these blah blah blah, I’m a Christian people. “Look at me, I’m Christian”. I’ve been around over 6 decades and the meanest, slimiest folks out there were those Christian types. Sure, there are nasty people of every religion, but those people who talk about their Christianity all the time you expect to be better.

• Mel says:

As Christians we are CALLED to talk about our faith! And Colton is always so genuine when he does. Here you go: “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.” (1 Peter 3:15-16)

I expect non-Christians to be put off by all this, but when people who say they are Christian are put off, then I honestly question their faith. Yes, some mean, slimy people are “Christian types.” It’s a shame; they give us a bad name. After all, the world is supposed to know us by our love. And that’s what Colton does – demonstrates his love. I’m sorry that you associate what he’s doing with the mean, slimy people you’ve known.