Idology: Colton Dixon on How He'll Handle the 'Christian Artist' Label and Why Idol Is 'Fishy'

colton dixon idolColton Dixon doesn’t necessarily want to be saddled with a ‘Christian Artist’ label, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be talking about his faith in God when he takes the stage in his post-American Idol career. The Season 11 seventh-place finisher discusses this conundrum during a candid Idology chat, as well as his complicated relationship with Interscope honcho Jimmy Iovine, his unfulfilled desire for a standing ovation from the Idol judges, the peculiarity of being caught in a fake showmance, and the trouble with little-girl voting blocs.

American Idol: What Should the Top 5 Cover for ‘British Music’ Week? We’ve Got Suggestions!

So press play below for the full Colton expeirence, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. MamaLis says:

Yea! It’s here! Sunday coffee and Idology with Colton. Can’t wait to watch!

• ana says:

I loved the interview. Just wish it was longer.

• great says:

Loved it too. It was funny what he said at the end of the video about the dating rumors–about how the show kept making him duet with Skylar and Ryan talked about them in front of everyone. LOL–loved how he said “another country duet”. I was seriously annoyed that they kept putting the poor boy in a country duet. It would have been perfect if Colton was with Elise in the duet and then boring Phil should have been with Skylar.

2. noa says:

this is getting ridiculous. Shannon and Jeremy get the same amount of time as Colton for their interview? you can’t cover everything as well when you have so little time. it doesn’t make sense to me. Michael, i still consider yours to be the best post Idol interviews, but there getting worse just because they’re too short. next week Elise will have 2 more performances to talk about, and so on… we want to here about the whole “journey”. are ENTV limiting you for some reason?

• noa says:

so many typos. sorry!

• MamaLis says:

btw. Not to be off topic – I was reading the post-Idol interviews with Elise. Wow does she sound eloquent and clear-headed and calm and just fantastic! I was a fan and I don’t think Idol did her justice! She really is a SMART likeable woman!

• noa says:

totally! she seems like an amazing person. and i love that she’s being really honest about the judges and how she sees things. and that she’s not blaming everything on her “old age” like Erika sometimes did (i love Erika- i think she’s super cool, i just don’t agree with putting it all on one thing). the only thing i don’t like as much in Elise’s answers is that she’s using a lot of clichés- “always be true to yourself” and stuff like that. just a pet peeve of mine. Colton isn’t doing that at all and i like it. but all in all- how she’s saying that she thought she should have stayed longer, but accepted that she’s leaving right away, it was honest and real, but at the same time mature and without any bitterness. LOVE HER!

• MamaLis says:

Check out the USA Today interview, if you haven’t already. And obviously we all can’t wait for Michael’s interview!

• Sawyer says:

I know this is a Colton page so I don’t wanna talk about Elise too much. But I completely agree. I hope that some people here will watch her interview and see how likable of a person she is. Definitely no attitude

• MA says:

Yeah, I’ve been incredibly impressed with her interviews too. Sassy, smart, funny, well spoken, proper grammar…she does herself really proud.

• cirob says:

I agree that the ENTV ~10-minute limit is detracting from both regular Idology (creativity-wise) and the post-elimination interviews (depth-wise). Still, as you said, it’s the best there is. Can’t blame us for wanting more.

• noa says:

indeed. i didn’t mean to sound demanding on that. it’s just that i love Idology so much, and it’s about 55% out of what i like about AI in general (except maybe for this year which is 85% Elise) and with each week that 10 minutes seem like less and less just cause there’s more to cover. just because more time has past, doesn’t mean i don’t want to know about how Hollywood week and Vegas were for Colton. not one mention of his sister or about how bad “September” was… when i think about how much time Haley’s interview was last year, i just don’t understand how we can expect the same quality in so little time. does the winner get 10 minutes as well?

• Michael says:

Do you know how many post-idol/elimination interviews that these kids have to do over the course of a week or two? That’s probably all the time that he was given for an interview.

• noa says:

this isn’t the first year that Slezak is doing this… in previous seasons the interviews got longer as the season went on.

• deedee says:

Errm, that was more than enough Colton for me.

3. kcostell says:

“Sometimes all of you’re your little girl votes go to bed”…or maybe that voting bloc’s just a myth in terms of actually having an impact on the outcome?

• Beck says:

yeah seriously. what little girls can stay up until midnight anyway?

• deedee says:

Or maybe he wasn’t as good as he thought he was, and America just didn’t vote for him.

• itsmericko says:

I think it was school vacation week for much of our area, and many (enough) of those young voters were away from their TV’s. Their phone-in the vote never got sent.

4. Beck says:

lol he seems a bit bitter. but he said “if you like it, don’t vote” and that’s exactly what happened. buh-bye

• darcy's evil twin says:

I didn’t think he appeared bitter at all. He was merely being honest in his opinion.

• Andrea says:

Same here. Bitterness is when you blame other people for something that happened to you. Colton immediately blamed himself for his elimination saying that he wasn’t exactly himself with some of his song choices and should’ve stayed more consistent in that way.

• Princess Adora says:

I agree, not bitter at all, just honest. In this interview, Colton seems like a very thoughtful person who’s willing to speak his mind and understands that others may not agree. I wasn’t the biggest fan of his musical stylings on the show, but I like him more as a person now. Great interview Michael! And I agree with the people above, I would love Idology to last a little longer than 10 minutes, pretty please :D
        “I guess we’re breaking up!” – too funny!

• kcostell says:

I think this ties into his comment earlier about how he felt that there was a big danger in appearing one way on the show then coming out with an album going in a completely different direction.

I guess he feels that since he’s planning on going in a Christian artist direction after the show, it’s better to start going in that direction while he’s on the show, even if it means some people who might otherwise have voted for him are turned off.

• shelbybb says:

Man, such a big ego for someone with no real talent to back it up! If I thought I didn’t get his appeal before, I REALLY don’t now. He’s got a lot of maturing to do and by the way Colt, your not a true artist so get over yourself!
        (geez, didn’t know I could go to such a negative place so fast!)

• Suzie says:

Wow! i couldn’t disagree with you more. Colton may not have the best voice, but he has charisma coming out of his ears, his eyes, his body language and his smile. He’s Hollywood material!

• IdolFan says:

Not to mention has some great original material already written.

• Carly says:

I totally agree with you…the hair is the star, not the voice.

• Joy says:

Wow, you’re right, that was pretty negative. :-) Colton was definitely not my favorite performer, but I do think he’s got a lot going for him in terms of creativity and intelligence, a very pragmatic attitude, and a knack for working with what he’s got vocally. He also seems like a genuinely cool guy — I didn’t get ego, just honesty about both his strengths and his weaknesses. It’s very unlikely that I’ll buy an album from him, but I can understand why many people would enjoy the music he makes, and I hope for both his sake and his fans’ that he’ll have a successful career.

• Marsaili says:

No talent? Well, I guess you are entitled to your opinion–but your snarkiness is just so wrong because Colton is not anything like you seem to think he is–talent wise or personality wise. He is a true artist and seems like a great guy–and he wasn’t even my favorite.

• COLTONFAN says:

I think you’re confusing arrogance with confidence – which is something that is refreshing to see in a twenty year old man!! This coming from the mother of an eighteen year-old and a twenty-one year-old that are still trying to figure it out. He loves music, he’s a good role model and probably, most importantly, he’s opening the doors to his future himself…I love it!!

5. darcy's evil twin says:

Mr. Slezak, as usual, you bring out the very best in Idol contestants. They always seem so relaxed and honest in your interviews. I wasn’t always a big fan of Colton’s voice or his musical choices, but wow – he strikes me as such a nice guy. I wish him well in the future. It was also funny to hear him say “it’s a TV show”. He seems to have his feet firmly on the ground and I wish him well.

6. MamaLis says:

Okay. That was interesting. I think you’re gonna do great, Colton. All the luck. :)

7. mick says:

Colton gives an impressive interview(very thoughtful, humorous & well-spoken.) I’m now a sporadic Idol watcher but really enjoyed this.

8. Teresa says:

Loved, loved, loved! this interview!

I wasn’t a Colton fan on the show, but I’m ready to be one now. He comes off so smart and funny! But honestly, that’s true for almost everyone you interview, Michael. I’m with everyone else who thinks it wasn’t long enough.

Is there some way that you can get more time for the videos? I’m worried that Skylar (or Elise) won’t get the traditional long interview you give your favorite. Also kind of curious as to who gets the bouquet this year.

If I were Jimmy Iovine, I’d get you to interview every finalist and put them up on the Idol website, or on the show, because you always manage to bring out the best parts of their personality — an integral part to marketing the artist.

9. Laquisha says:

When are these people gonna get that American Idol is no longer a search for talent or a career starter? It is merely entertainment for the viewers. Once you’re voted off, you’re done.

• noa says:

tell that to last season’s top 10. i think 7 of them got signed. not bad for a show that isn’t a career starter at all. sure, not all of them will succeed, but if they take advantage of what they got from the show (fans, connections, exposure, experience)- i still think it can be a beginning of a long career.

• IdolFan says:

That is an ignorant statement. So many Idols (winners and runner ups) have done exceptionally well with their singing careers.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Very true. They aren’t all “superstars” but so many have gone on to earn a very good living in the music business. Crystal Bowersox may not be a household name but she’s sure doing better than she would have without Idol.

• shelbybb says:

@Laquisha – so true! Outta sight, outta mind.

• Marsaili says:

So, you obviously don’t watch the show or pay attention to what happens to the contestants after, do you? Wow, the things people say, LOL!

• Bobbi says:

There’s many samples of reality tv show stars getting a career post show, and MUCH more when they are part of a talent competition like Idol. It all has to do with the crucial first stages of their post Idol career. How they package their stage persona for the buying public after the show. The ones who understand the difference between who they really are and the stage persona do much better. This is one reason I found Colton’s interview very interesting. He touches on how the show steers and presents the contestants interests and personalities regardless whether it does not exactly match who they truly are. Which explains why pairs of contestants are presented as polar opposites. It is the simplest way to get voting camps started. Since that is all the info we get, we buy into it. Makes me appreciate the contestants who can separate their real personalities with the stage persona. They will have a better buffer from having their identity swallowed up by the Idol and fame machine post show.

10. Davey says:

I really think Colton was voted off just when I was beginning to become more interested in him as a musician. A shame really. And those cheesy country duets probably helped Skylar more than him. I see him finding a niche somewhere in the music world.

11. Chris says:

I’m sure the interview footage recorded is longer than 10 minutes but it’s edited to bring forth certain points. In my opinion it covered all the ‘controversial’ things brought up in many conversations, regarding Colton and other contestants. With respect to the contestant, TVLine, and American Idol you can only put so much out there without causing a stir that is unnecessary and border line just not right, on so many fronts.

Michael, thank you for these excellent interviews! I am looking forward to the remaining contestants time with you.

Colton – I like the direction you are headed in with music. Switchfoot, Needtobreathe, Daughtry (even U2) so many great bands (endless really) out there that can fit into Christian rock genre/syndication without being dominated or labeled as just “Christian Rock”! Best of luck to you.

12. JJ says:

An adult who believes a magical ghost and his zombie son lives in the sky granting people’s wishes belongs in a mental institution, not on television.

• IdolFan says:

Now, now JJ …. Religion has had and will continue to have its place in world history. If you’re not a believer that is perfectly ok, but don’t make such statements against someones choice to believe in a higher power. That is just bad karma.

• Marko says:

I’m an atheist and I do not approve this message.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Thank you. Just because you don’t believe in Christianity doesn’t mean you should knock someone else. I am a Christian, I think atheists are entitled to their beliefs, and I watch Idol for the singing. When contestants choose to share their religious beliefs, that’s fine, but it doesn’t affect my opinion of them as a singer one way or the other.

• marie says:

Perhaps a little off-topic, but I want to comment here that we atheists are more accurately described as sharing an ABSENCE of belief – in this case, in a god or gods – than as sharing “[our] beliefs” in anything. The lack of a belief in a god or gods may be the ONLY think I have in common with any other randomly-chosen atheist. This differs, of course, from the expectation that adherents of a given religion will have in common one or more beliefs; in this case, it is reasonable to expect that all Christians share in common a belief in the divinity of Christ. Sorry, DET, we atheists are widely misunderstood in this country, and it’s just a pet peeve of mine when people allude to our “beliefs,” because what we actually have is NO belief when it comes to a divinity figure. Similarly, I have had people tell me, Well, your religion is “atheist,” when nothing could be further from the truth: atheism is not a religion; it makes no positive claims, promotes no religious rituals, professes no common beliefs. All atheism means is an absence of belief in a god or gods.
          (Climbs down off soapbox.) Ok, that said, I’m offended by JJ’s comment as well: believe or not believe what you like – that much is written into the Constitution! – but tolerate and respect others, too, because that’s the only reason you can expect to be tolerated and respected in turn. And I too watch Idol for the entertainment; a contestant’s religious beliefs or lack of same – or their political leanings or region of residence or marital status or anything else personal to them – is irrelevant to my enjoyment of the show.

• MA says:

I’m not an atheist or a Christian, but I totally agree. That’s just nasty. Leave people alone. Let them believe what they believe. The minute you say crap like that, you out yourself as nothing more than an ignorant bigot. Please.

• Medic says:

Atheist or agnostic? One’s a bigger believer than any religious person on this planet (everything came into being from nothing without the assistance of a higher power, and oh by the way, everything from people to cars, trees and rocks is made of the same simple building blocks called protons neutrons and electrons. if you showed this same individual a Renoire would like to have you committed to an institution if you informed them that it all happened from a giant paint spill.) and the other is a healthy skeptic.

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Darn it; this comment section doesn’t come with a flag button. If it did, I would so totally report this disgusting disrespect. Shame on you.

• Mara says:

Haha. This made me laugh, thank you ;)
      It’s funny how touchy the religious are. They can damn everyone who disagrees with them to hell and harass people in their personal lives with their public religious poo on birth control/anti gay/arrogant agendas…. all by listing it under ‘freedom’ of speech/religion. Yet, when someone is a jerk or insults them back, suddenly freedom of speech needs to be regulated :'(

When I see an annoying Christian post “God hatz gayz/sluts/other religion” I don’t take it personally. It’s the internet. Non-Christians can be stupid and insulting too btw. One or two obnoxious atheists are not a bad trade off considering everything we have to put up with.

13. Mary says:

Flock of Seagulls called, they don’t want that hairstyle back.

14. A says:

There’s no comparison between Same Sames and Colton. SS sings the same way/song every week while Colton actually had some variety. It seems like Colton is intelligent and will do well.

15. Annie says:

I’ve never been a Colton fan, and I’m not sad to see him go, but this is a great interview. He said some very intelligent things. I thought he was too much of a student of the show, and didn’t do a lot to put his own stamp on things. It’s great to know what works, but it’s those things have to be implemented in a way that lets people know who you are, and that you actually have talent, and aren’t just copying other people.

He does seem like he knows what he wants to do with this opportunity, so best of luck t him.

16. gailer says:

great he admitted that this is a tv show, not a talent competition

17. aquayers says:

I agree with some commenters above me that wanted Idology to be more than 10 minutes. Yes,Slezak. Give us more Idology. If 10 minutes youtube video constraint you,then put two video with 10 minutes each.

18. MK says:

Colton has a good head on his shoulders and I like that he “gets” Idol and all their shenanigans. Personally, I think he was the official Top 7 Sacrificial Lamb. He probably wasn’t playing the game the way they wanted. I’m kind of surprised they’re still keeping Phillip, considering he doesn’t seem to be playing at all. That’s usually a no no for the Bobsey Twins Nigel and Ken. But then again…there’s Jimmy. One has to probably dance to his tune as well. Maybe they’ll start throwing Phillip under the bus too in favor of Skylar and Joshua…unless of course one of the has a back bone too.

Anyway…as Richard Rushfield tweets EVERY Thursday night…”Congratulations to Phillip Phillips, the American Idol of Season 11″. He pegged it from the getgo. Personally, I think it should be someone else.

But as I always say…I’ve got my Idol (Season 8) and I’m happy with him. I don’t need another one.

19. ingisam says:

Your interviews are always the best, Michael! And Colton seems like the kind of guy you’d want to talk to even if you’re not a fan. He’s just really nice and engaging, and he gives very smart and eloquent answers. I like his humor too. He’s very firm on who he is and the kind of artist he wants to be, and I hope that really helps his career. I wish him great success. Already looking forward to his first album!

20. JK says:

Great interview with Colton. I’m convinced now he was too smart for the show. He knew exactly what was going on. It’s a shame, he would have been a great winner and ambassador for the show. But maybe now he’ll know how to use the best parts of his experience and know how to and have the chance to avoid the bs.

I think Jimmy was setting up the Colton vs Phillip thing to make the voters choose between them. He didn’t want both in the finale. Everyone I know was splitting votes between them anyhow. If it was a true rivalry Colton’s fans would have been more motivated.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to more from Colton in the future.

21. imho says:

Such a great guy! I think I’ll just keep voting for him anyway :)

22. Scott says:

The lighting of Colton v. Slezak made me think they weren’t in the room at the same time.

• Jurybox says:

Interesting post. Made me go back and look carefully. The only way the two men were in the same room (given the shape of the table, where they were sitting, and where their eyes were directed) is if they were sitting at the end of an “L” shaped table (where the “L” is reversed). So, which was it Michael?

• Michael Slezak says:

I can confirm we were absolutely 100% in the same room at the same time, at the end of a long conference table.

• Scott says:

(laugh) Okay, maybe I believe you, Mr. Slezak — same chair, same formica top to the table — but I think you should insist on better lighting next time. :)

• noa says:

nice to know that you read the comments :) can you address the video length issue as well?

• Marsaili says:

Personally, with all the conspiracy theories thrown around this message board, I find it amusingly sad that Mr. Slezak has to even comment on whether he was in the same room or not! I never even would have thought or considered that he wouldn’t be in the same room!?!

• Scott says:

Oh pooh, you just have no imagination. OBVIOUSLY, the delay in getting the excellent Colton video occurred because the producers realized there was a huge booger hanging from Mr. Slezak’s nose, or his shirt revealed too many nipple rings. And they had to re-shoot Slezak’s part and cut it in. But now that Slezak himself has said they were in the same room, I’m gonna believe him because if he’s lying, I know Melinda Doolittle will do the fingerwag at him.

• Marsaili says:

Thanks Scott. You just made me spray my honey and strawberry Greek yogurt all over my computer screen. How could I have not seen that—you are absolutely right! ;-)

• Volcfom says:

The lighting looks different because Michael is getting hit from the sunlight coming through the windows, which gives a blue hue. Colton is lit by production/indoor lights, which are warmer/yellow.

23. Jessica says:

Great interview! Always enjoyed Colton’s personality. He was honest but respectful and I appreciate that. Very true that it is a TV show. About the country songs I have to say even with it not being his genre i thought he did a much better job than Skylar (which is her genre) That taught me that he’s pretty talented to sing anything and make it believable.

• Tuzo says:

I think you’re right. And notice how Colton’s hair goes back and to the left. Again. Back and to the left.

24. Jessica says:

@ Idology Wish this interview was longer. I really don’t like this new format. I’ve watched Michael’s Idolatry, Idoloonies, and Idology and it is way too condensed this year. Even though it may be going out to bigger audience I don’t like the change and lowering of amazing standards.Love Melinda-just want 3 parts. *so sorry Michael* I will still come and read/watch of course.

25. lynn says:

He came across very genuine and likeable! wish I had voted for him!

26. Loni says:

Colton, you sure seem like a great guy. I wish you the best!

27. lauren says:

Same people complaining about video length are probably same people who complain about the ads on the video, and don’t understand the economics of web series.

28. Yo' says:

Smart guy. And he looked right at your camera (which actually may be why he seems a little distant, or aloof). He’s gonna go places.

29. Candy says:

Colton won me over as the show went on, and I’m glad to hear him say he wants to do something like Switchfoot because I would totally buy that record. I’m so pleased for him being who he is, standing up for what he believes, regardless. It drives me crazy that because you profess your beliefs, whatever they may be, there are always some who act like you’re shoving it down their throats. He’s got his head on straight and that’s all that matters.

30. kvwicks says:

Colton has a good head on his shoulders……..this interview was great; he was very upfront and honest!

31. Can’t wait for that album. Colton is seriously cool and I like that he’s aware of his mistakes. Very humble, very musically “smart”. One of my favourite contestants in the last while.

32. You didn’t even talk about the lady blouses!!! :(

33. Jeffrey Jewell says:

He needs to give himself more credit!!! He has a really good voice, I would have put he and Hollie & Skyler in my top 3!!!

34. Sandi says:

Great interview Slezak. I loved Colton on the show and I think he came off very honest and straight-forward in the interview. Buying a Christian album would definitely be a first for me but I’m looking forward to buying his music.

I think he answered those that are put off by his beliefs pretty well. “If you don’t approve, don’t support me.” (I’m paraphrasing.) Quite obviously, he was raised in a deeply religious household and it shaped who he was. I saw him on Ellen a few days ago and Colton’s sister was in the audience. Ellen addressed his sister very briefly and, in the space of one or two sentences, his sister managed to infuse god into the conversation at least once.

So, he is who he is. I don’t AT ALL get that he used his religion to pander for votes and I think it’s disgustingly cynical that so many of the comments I saw about him while he was on the show said that this was so. He’s genuinely a deeply religious person and was raised to express his faith openly. That’s pretty much the opposite of who I am and it doesn’t bother me at all.

By the way, I think he’s too humble about his voice. While there are certainly technically better voices in the top 10, I think he has a unique, radio-friendly sound that shows great talent.

• Marsaili says:

It’s funny—because I wouldn’t run out and buy a Christian album—but I wouldn’t not buy an album because it’s Christian, either. All that matters to me is the music—and I think I’ll probably buy what Colton is going to release. I have all the iTunes albums from the top 13 down—and I really enjoy hearing Colton when his songs come on—I wasn’t a huge fan while he was on the show but he’s grown on me.

35. MA says:

Wow…okay. I never got into Colton on the show, but he comes across as really smart, level-headed, and thoughtful here, very much a thinking-man’s musician. And he’s so young. Good for him. He’ll do some really cool things, I’m sure!

36. MA says:

Just to add, you know, watching this interview (which is the only one I’ve seen with Colton, but still) and having read/watched Elise’s exit interviews, I’m really wishing American Idol would let these contestants talk more during their time on the show. Rather than creating “types” for them (the Christian rocker, the spunky country girl, the old lady, etc.), just let them be who they are because if Colton and Elise are at all representative of the contestants as a group, these are some smart, well spoken, bold, musically skilled people. Why does the show want us to have such shallow views of them?? It seems like letting them represent themselves accurately could only make them more interesting as artists.

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

It’s like this every season; we don’t really know who these people are or what they’re like until after they’re off the show. The producers are so bent on creating caricatures and upholding stereotypes and classifications for the sake of ratings and story arcs. I find it very annoying, and I don;t think the contestants like being divided that way. To me they come across as the opposite: working to disprove the images they have been assigned by the TV people. The biggest example I can think of is the “guy-next-door vs. guy-liner” Season 8 finale. Kris and Adam were set up as utter foils, but in reality they love each other like brothers. Why do the producers feel the need to write fake scripts for these kids’ lives? Why can’t they just celebrate the creative thinking and beautiful bonds they all have to offer?

• Marsaili says:

I totally agree—I’ve learned more about how these contestants really are in real life from their Idology interviews than I ever really saw on the show. That’s why I get upset when people judge these kids based on the show—like saying Elise has a bad attitude or Colton was full of himself or Phillip is boring. We don’t know anything about these kids (which is what I usually say every week when people start their personal attacks on the contestants) and it’s so nasty and inappropriate to say such things based on a snippet here and there. But, some people just gotta be mean.

• MA says:

I feel like I comment on this every year, but it’s really nasty, isn’t it? I mean…sure, they sign up for a reality show and so on some level “they know what they’re getting,” but these are real people, and the show is messing with their real personalities and reputations. Sure it’ll all pass by next year when there are new contestants to trash, but it’s kind of like middle school, with the Idol producers being the bully ringleaders and (some of) the public falling into line. Elise made a great comment in one of her exit interviews about hoping the public would remember to judge based on what they actually see and know, rather than what they’re told or just because a bunch of other people start saying something. I thought that was really telling…she sees pretty clearly what’s going on. And based on this interview, Colton does too. Of course, on the one hand, I find myself being horrified by how these people are manipulated, but on the other, I can’t help but be impressed by the fact that they’re so savvy and smart about it. They do a lot better than I would. Good on them!

• FreeHaley says:

+1 and it’s always those who dare point it out or expect it to be fully real or fair who get trashed and not the fact that it’s not real and that it may be manipulated, etc. hate the whistleblower syndrome.

• FreeHaley says:

+1 as COlton even said here “no, it’s a TV show” not a talent competition. Reality TV is ‘reality’ tv.

37. Colton Fan says:

So nice to see and hear from Colton again :) I can’t wait to hear from him again soon. Idol just isn’t the same without him imo.

38. dilia says:

Of course Ive been a Colton fan since season 10 so Ive known how smart, and well spoken he was since then, but i love your interviews! They really do bring out the best in people. I didnt get bitter at all from this. He clearly isnt blaming anybody but himself and he seems very level headed. Im a huge fan, probably one of my favorite conestants in a while for a few reasons (intelligence,creativity,current song choices among others) and Im jewish and religious. His religion never bothered me, because it always seemed genuine. Anyways Im glad to see that even people who wernt a fan on the show (and i can fully understand that hes not everyones style) can still be objective and see what i nice guy he is.
    Thanks Slezak! fabulous job as always!

39. asherlev1 says:

This interview made me really like Colton. I love that he has a sense of humor about himself and is self-aware, in that he knows that when he throws out there that he has a strong sense of religion, he knows part of the internet is going to be turned off. Really made me appreciate him more.

I’m kinda bummed I got into him just as he was eliminated. DDDD:

40. Evan says:

He seemed pretty smug to me, but he’s definitely one of the smartest contestants I’ve seen from Idol and not just in how he played the Idol game. He’s articulate and seems to get how others (like the producers or Jimmy or the public) operate.

41. Mara says:

Still too much god stuff. I understand being Christian is part of his life, but if god existed he wouldn’t need people constantly wearing out his name. He can read thoughts right? silently love him. I don’t care how much you love Jesus, (and for other singers) drugs, alcohol or women/men. Those are boring personal subjects. Music should appeal to any entity who likes good music–satanists, Christians, atheists, junkies. Every type of person listens and likes good music regardless of external labels. IF the beat/lyrics are good nothing else matters, no matter what the subject (unless its about something like child rape, obviously).

They were never going to let someone who wanted to be a Christian popstar win anyway. Def not profitable enough.
    Having said that, Colton was one of my favs. He really tried to put on a good entertaining show. I prefer a thoughtful, diverse, entertaining Colton concert than a Phillip concert…. where he’d wear the same grey T-shirt through every set…. and then all the songs blend into inseparable growling messes.

Good luck Colton! You are talented and will go far.

• Medic says:

Great music is about passion. If one can articulate their feelings in song it can move a heartless bastard. If a singer wishes to penetrate your heart they must sing about what they are passionate about. (See David Cook “Permanent” et all)

• Marsaili says:

Excellent response! I’m not a Christian, but I don’t get why all these people have to be so up in arms about someone expressing their faith. I think it shows a level of self confidence in Colton that the people who are complaining him about must lack in themselves—that it makes them so uncomfortable. Too bad, I think it’s great to have something to believe in!

• Marsaili says:

ugh, sorry about the typos, I was on my Nook and sometimes it gets wonky!

• Mara says:

Because, it isn’t equal opportunity. You can have a sermon and a religious seizure on the American Idol stage and be patted on the back. I’d like to see someone win who went on about Allah, or Dawkins, after each inspired song. They would be out the door as soon as it ended.

The christian god thing is annoying because it’s so one-sided. Other faiths are seen as a liability. if anyone said they were an atheist after a passionate song, they would probably be escorted off the stage.
          Going on about Christianity is just an unfair tool to use against the other contestants who can’t use the same card.

42. sam says:

ughhh, america, whoever didn’t vote for Colton, ughhhhh, he should have been in the finals!

43. megs says:

His genuineness is so refreshing! No one this season has really hooked me, but I always liked Colton, just because he seems like such a good guy without being cheesy or fakey.
    Love the straightforward, honest talk about the machine that is American Idol.

44. Was not a Colton fan but I love this interview! love his honesty!

45. blingedup says:

Colton was never one of my favorites, but I”m going to say this about him: He knows who he is, and he has the confidence it takes to succeed. I predict success for him.

46. MusicFan says:

It’s surprising to me what people take as Christian music. Sure, there are some artists who do sing about God (as in the name is literally in they lyrics) but then there are artists like Lifehouse, Switchfoot, Needtobreathe, U2, etc etc who aren’t labeled or limited to just being Christian music writers. Essentially its just music written the same way other music is written. I mean check out the song “Something Beautiful”, “The Outsiders”, or “Girl Named Tennessee” as examples of many from Needtobreathe. It’s played on Christian rock stations and widespread syndicated radio as well as U2… I can’t believe some ‘music fans’ can be so short sided and fixated on one word…. Weird.

Also I don’t think I heard or have ever heard Colton criticize others for their belief. People are seriously over opinionated and way out of place.

I say go for it Colton – do it your way and the very best to you. I look for you at the Dove Awards, Grammy’s, etc one day :)

47. flutiefan says:

i’m an atheist country music fan, and i was Colton all the way. i was so pissed off when he was cut last year, and thrilled when they convinced him to come back for S11.
    how in the world was this kid eliminated? something “fishy”, indeed…

48. paisley says:

Another great interview, Michael! I like how Colton handled the Christian and Skylar and Jimmy questions, especially. I like how you admitted you were not an early Colton fan but warmed up to him later. Looking forward to more Idology…..

49. Meghan says:

Great interview. I loved how honest and forthright he was with his answers and opinions. I only wish this could have been longer! Is there a 10 minute limit for all interviews? Glad it’s on YouTube this season though, last season I had a lot of trouble playing the videos.

50. FreeHaley says:

Smart guy. Quite telling was his comment about no matter how much the contestants, god bless their hearts, want it to be a talent competition…. NO. It’s a TV show. (i.e. a ‘reality’ TV show, make sure to note the single quotes and the word show)

As others here said above, I think Elise saw that and Haley too and certainly plenty of others. I forget, but it may have been Didi Benami saying how eventually in her season (and in her season it hadn’t even yet gotten to utterly over the top as it did starting last season) they all realized how it worked and they all just have to laugh about it together behind the scenes like about how someone could sing it half off-key and have a bad night and they’d get the best praise since they were a favored one from day 1 and someone might slam it and yet get a feeble clap at best and how they would try to present people this way or that.

But while you see tons of comments agreeing and getting that you also see tons of people parroting exactly back what the show wants you to believe, so and so is inconsistent (most telling of all for Haley, having the best performance practically ever one of the last few weeks is inconsistent??! just because your second performance isn’t to that level but still was often middle of the pack at the absolute worst and often only just slightly worst?? What!?!) or so and so is this type of a person (not always a positive light, which honestly isn’t fair and it’s a shame some of the contestants are the ones who get the ire instead of the powers that be who really deserve it), etc. You could even see footage of the home town visits on youtube from local stations and see how, for Idol, they sometimes, would re-stage events to portray contestants in a certain light, etc. and sometimes totally made up re-shoot footage would be shown on the show itself. And you’ll see people saying but a industry pro, the show, said this or that so it must be true, they know best. A bit of a shame.