American Idol: What Should the Top 5 Cover for 'British Music' Week?

Blimey! Uncle Nigel’s done it again!

The American Idol Season 11 Top 5 will tackle a “British Music” theme next Wednesday, and unless there’s some unfortunate sub-theme percolating (British Music That Was Covered by a Season 10 Finalist? British Music of Lulu and Nigel’s Other All-Time Favorites/Good Buddies?), then the remaining finalists have a pretty wide swath of songs from which to choose.

American Idol Top 6 Results Recap: Any Way the Wind Blows, Doesn’t Really Matter

Check out my suggestions below, then hit the comments with the fruits of your own brainstorming sessions!

American Idol Announces Tour Dates and Places

1. karenb says:

“Freedom 90″ for Phillip—YES, please.

2. Sean D says:

LOVE the idea of Sade for Jessica! I like how quickly you released this Mike, time for the contestants to read it! Nothing would please more than to see some direct Idology influence on the Top 5.

• TheBeach says:

But Jessica singing Gimme Shelter?…NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

• darcy's evil twin says:

Sweet Baby Jesus, how much wine have you had, Mr. Slezak? I am right there with TheBeach on this one. I just can’t picture Jessica singing my favorite Stones song and arguably one of the greatest rock songs of all time. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! indeed.

• cruzendefr says:

NOOOOO for ” gimme shelter ” NOOOO for “your not alone “…..” pearls” ahh its ok jst too slow !!
          Perfect songs for Jessica are: ” mamma knows best” and ” who you are ” by Jessie j !!!

• Anna Trodat says:

I doubt Jessica will choose that song. Don’t flatter yourself lol

• Louie says:

I love the idea of Pearls for Jessica but I think it’d be a terrible idea to do it on Idol. Much like Earth Song last season, the song needs time to build beyong the 1:30 – 2:00 alotted for each performance.

• Noelbelle says:

Michael has been hoping for someone to sing Pearls on Idol for ages (I remember him saying that about Michael Johns way back when) and with good reason. It is an UNBELIEVABLY beautiful song. I’m not much of a Jessica fan, but I think he’s right that that could win her the competition. You can’t sing it without having an emotional connection to it. You can’t even listen to it without having an emotional connection. If I were an Idol contestant, it would definitely be on my song list. Unfortunately, now I think all these idols were probably born after it came out and are less likely to know of it.

• Bobbi says:

As much as I’d like Jessica to sing Sade’s ‘PEARLS’, I think she’ll do a powerhouse type song this week to balance out last week’s. Be great if she did do a Jessie J song. My pick would be “MAMMA KNOWS BEST’ it’s got a lot of places for power, vocal dynamics but also an uptempo beat. ‘ GIMME SHELTER’ ??? She can do the backup vocals well, but see no advantage in singing the rest.

• cruzendefr says:

absolutely agree.. Jessie J’s songs..i’ll pick “who you are”..doesn’t matter really jst any songs of Jessie J is fine.. go jessica !!

• Anna Trodat says:

“Pearls” for Jessica? Lol she will lose the competition for sure. I’m a SADE fan but I doubt that song will win Jessica Gold

• Andy says:

Luv for Jessica take on Leona Lewis “TAKE A VOW”

3. Alan says:

My Suggestions:
    Jessica: Jessie J – Who You Are
    Philip: Mumford & Sons – White Blank Page
    Hollie: Florence & the Machine – You Got The Love (kinda cheating but oh well!)
    Joshua: Leona Lewis – Bleeding Love
    Skylar: Joss Stone – You Had Me

• IdolFan says:

YES! to all the above. Fantastic list!

• Rolfe says:

You Got The Love would be great for Hollie!

• Tarc says:

I like a lot of those, but other than Bleeding Love, they’re all too obscure (for Idol’d very. very Top20 US taste).

• TC says:

Bleeding Love for Josh is an awesome choice!

• Parker says:

Michael is really trying to sink Hollie. Crap suggestions.

• takakupo says:

Seriously, lol.

• darcy's evil twin says:

No joke. Hollie should sing something by Petula Clark. or even, dare I say it, Lulu’s “To Sir With Love”. She’s probably gone this week anyway and she might as well go out singing something that will showcase her lovely voice.

• Fernando says:

How about “You Are My World” by Helen Reddy? That’s another old one, but what a killer chorus that would make a great showcase for Hollie.

• Tess says:

Elise was asked in her post-elim press what she had planned to sing and she said either Jessie J’s Who You Are or Joe Cocker’s With A Little Help From My Friends (sad we’re not going to get to hear her do either of them because that would’ve been something)…I guess that means Jessica could poach Who You Are now knowing it’s on the list and available again, but I think she might be better off tackling Emeli Sande’s Next To Me…if she shows some emotion in it along with her usual stellar vocals, she could actually win me over for once.

• sphagetti says:

Yes I think this is a perfect song for JESSICA too! Luv Jessie J

• sphagetti says:

YES, i think this is a perfect song for JESSICA too! luv Jessie J.

4. Stacy says:

is this going to be 2 songs each of british music or one song british and one song contestant’s choice?
    already calling jessica doing bleeding love. predictable smh.

5. Chris says:

Yes, yes, yessss! “Pearls” or “Gimme Shelter” = awesome for Jessica! Pleeeassse Nigel???

“Missing” would be a good choice for Skylar – I could listen to that.
    “Sour Times” and “Heartbreak (Make Me A Dancer)” would be good for Hollie – but she’d HAVE to bring the stage presence with it to pull it off.
    “Situation” of “Why” for Joshua – yes please!
    “Lola” for Phillip would be nice and he could probably pull off “Freedom”

6. Nate says:

I feel very confident that Joshua will do Feelin’ Good to great acclaim. Philip should definitely do London Calling (or really anything by The Clash, or even The Sex Pistols). The women are harder to predict (although I suspect Elise would have done I Who Have Nothing), but I am just going to guess that Jessica does Mercy, Skylar does Tobacco Road, and Hollie does some song she likes but is overmatched for and still hangs on to sing another week….how about To Sir With Love?

• IdolFan says:

Woot! If Joshua pulls off “Feeling Good” (suspense would kill on which arrangement he’d take) I’d vote a 100% for him the rest of the season! That would be so awesome. Love Nina, Muse, and Bubble’s versions!

• Cip says:

ditto! “Feeling Good” for Joshua could capult him to the finals! he would soooo slay that one

• HairLikeATeddyBear says:

Oh my, Joshua & Feeling Good… mm mmm. I didn’t know it’s English! It would be unreal. Noone can top Nina’s tho’… I Put A Spell on you! Love me some Nina!

• kcostell says:

Feeling Good’s sort of a cursed song on Idol — even if you pull it off people don’t vote for it.

As far as I know, it’s the only song ever to send two different people home the same week (Top 20 week of season 6, AJ and Leslie both got kicked out while Sanjaya and Haley Scarnato sailed through with much worse performances). It sent Adam to the bottom 3, and was Hallie’s downfall this year.

• mary jane belmonte says:

i cant believe all these people like teenagers they should have their own idol. our musicians get screwed when they should be in school. i dont like listening to teenagers. philllip is the most talented and humble. he deserves to win i love your suggests for him. i never thought of them theyre a friend in englands fav bands. i thought come together by the beatles

7. Forwarddad says:

They need to sing songs that people have heard. Some of these are great but so obscure. Would be good to know if they are singing one of their own choice as well.

8. Tarc says:

Phillip doing Amy Winehouse’s “I’m No Good”? Genius. Jessica doing Sade, also genius.

• shelbybb says:

LOVE that idea for P2!

• Noelbelle says:

Ditto. Plays right into his sexy image.

• PhillipRocks says:

I’m definitely down with that lol

I would love for our resident “artist” to think out side the box and do either Amy or Freedom ’90.

But who am I kidding anyway? I’m going to love what ever he does,

• margaux says:

The one who should do Amy’s “You Know I’m No Good” is Skylar. Wanda Jackson, the rockabilly queen of the 50s, did a cover of it with Jack White a couple years ago, and Skylar reminds me so much of Wanda Jackson.

9. ds says:

Joshua would KILL with Mika’s “Happy Ending.” It’s perfect for him!

10. Josh says:

How are Dog days are over For Hollie? Horrifed for the song Phill is gonna butcher

11. PFitzDC says:

Great suggestions for Phillip!

Just, please, please, please NO ADELE. All the covers (and repetitive radio play) are ruining her for the rest of us.

And Slezak—how about some Alison Moyet, since you mentioned Yaz?

• Tarc says:

P2 doing Situation might be interesting. :D

• Tarc says:

Egads, never watch the blind auditions for the Voice UK or Aussie this year then. Every other audition (it seemed) was an Adele cover, and even if it was decent…. just no. No, no, no. I was having nightmarish flashbacks of judging auditions just after Irene Cara’ run of songs (What A Feeling, On My Own), and after Whitney’s I Will Always Love You. *shudders*

12. Josh says:

Can we fastfoward to the crowing of another overrated piece of crap like Phil winning already it is not fun when the winner is crowned on Top 12 or 13. PHIL sucks and shouldn’t win but he will

13. Krista says:

I’m beginning to think that the Colton Files have been misplaced with the Casey Files.??

• duranmom says:

Oh, please NO!

• Tarc says:

It will be interesting to see if Colton does do an interview. Slezak hasn’t exactly been kind to Colton or his buddy Phillip.

• Krista says:

Slezak tweeted about interviewing Colton soon after his vote off. I thought that the interview would be posted by now.

And, no, he hasn’t been too nice to Phillip. But I am hopeful that he will see the light soon!

• Lunakit says:

yeah, I keep checking for the interview as well…. hmm… there seems to be one ‘misplaced’ interview per season

14. dan says:

No Adele, please no Adele.

15. Then stop watching, Josh. Some of us like Phil. For the life of me I can’t imagine why someone would continue to subject themselves to something they hate so much. Unless of course the need to b*tch on a website fills some attention needing void.

• shelbybb says:

Well said Kirstin!

• J. May says:

I love this show, but hate that the contestants always get such a limited range of songs. Yes, I know it’s a competition and they are supposed to do what they can with what they have, but there are so many songs out there and Idol is such a monster. Surely, they can spread some cash around. As for Phil, he’s fine, I like him too, but he has no range. He’s no Adam Lambert or Crystal Bowersox, for that matter.

16. jaime says:

Good week for hollie?

17. China in Your Hand by T’Pau for Hollie. Or The Promise by When In Rome

18. Wild Horses by the Rolling Stones for Skylar would be awesome!!! what do you think??

19. katrilotta says:

Phillip should sing Seether’s version of Careless Whisper. That would blow everyone’s minds. Listen to it, it would be PERFECT for him.

20. Derek says:

Philip should do Wonderwall By Oasis, just him and his guitar

21. Phillip doing “I’m No Good” is so Matt Cardle channeling Amy Winehouse. I would love to hear “You’ve Got the Love” by Florence & the Machine, “Broken Strings” by James Morrison, “Valerie” by Mark Ronson/Amy Winehouse, “Patience” by Take That, “Let Me Entertain You” by Robbie Williams, “Mercy” by Duffy, “The A Team” by Ed Sheeran, “Somewhere Only We Know” by Keane, “Sing” by Travis, “Personal Jesus” by Depeche Mode and “Thank You” by Dido….

I hope I don’t hear any Beatles song or Bee Gees :)

• Tarc says:

*blinks* “You’ve Got The Love’ would be crazy interesting for P2. I’m not sure he has the energy to do “Let Me Entertain You” because he’s pretty unwell, but that could be cool, too.

• Princess Adora says:

Tasteless joke, but I have to make it: it would give new meaning to the lyric “I’m a burning effigy of everything I used to be”!
        But seriously, poor Phillip, I really think he’s made enough of an impact by now, maybe he should just get whatever procedure he needs done already :S Alas, he probably won’t, so if he (or any of the contestants) sang anything (other than Angels) by Robbie Williams it would make my day! <3 Either way I'm SO excited for British Week!!

• Bob says:

The A Team would be great

• Emily says:

YES. Someone needs to do an Ed Sheeran song, preferably Phillip.

• darcy's evil twin says:

The Bee Gees are Australian, aren’t they? Or were they born in the UK and their parents moved to Australia – or vice versa? I can’t remember.

22. hrfe says:

Skylar doing an acoustic cover of Wonderwall needs. to. happen. It would just be everything. Damn you Michael, now I’ll be thinking about this till Wednesday!

23. Renda says:

I just want to cry thinking about Elise doing “Back to Black”…sigh

24. angelstorm says:

British music week ??? Ummm – I feel like this is a terrible idea for a theme !! But hey I’m always happy for them to prove me wrong !

25. P2 singing Amy is an inspired choice!

26. shizzle says:

Phillip: Creep by Radiohead

27. xerxia says:

OMG P-squared doing Lola could be hilarious and amazing…

28. Andy says:

Jessica: Take a vow or Broken by Leona Lewis

29. AndyDandy says:

BB Chez: songs by Leona Lewis should be perfect 4 u:
    1. Take a vow
    2. Broken

• MamaLis says:

Okay, can we collectively agree to refer to Jessica as Jessica? Just because a 17 year old gives herself a ‘rockin alter-ego’, doesn’t mean (the public) should start referring to it by name.

• Marsaili says:

ugh, no kidding.

• Layla says:

I agree, but technically Jessica did not come up with that nickname. A friend of hers did and then Idol caught wind of it and asked her on the interview vids. (she even says so in the interview). It was more of a joke between girls, that even she laughs about. When Jennifer brought it up last week, Jessica was kinda just laughing it off. It seems the producers want her to run with it.

• Marie says:

A fan can call her idol any way she wants. What’s up with getting annoyed with that?

30. J. May says:

It’s all gonna be lame. You know it. I know it. Let’s stop kidding ourselves. The producers aren’t buying the rights to good songs. They are buying the protection of huge bodyguards.

31. Tv fan says:

Hopefully it is “British Music” other then Adele. She has been done to death on Idol this season.

32. Mitch Ramos says:

my suggestions for Jessica Sanchez for British theme week
    Jessie J’s Nobody’s Perfect or Domino – good edgy uptempo rock anthems
    Sade’s Smooth Operator – sensual and sexy
    Natalia Kills’ Free – fun and carefree popsong
    Julia Fordham’s Love Moves in Mysterious Ways – perfect ballad for Bebe Chez
    Gabriell’s Out of Reach – emotionally charged song choice
    Amy Winehouse’s Rehab – off the wall and out of the box

• Marsaili says:

Jessica should not be singing any song that is sensual and sexy—I’m sorry-=she’s a little girl, literally and figuratively. I don’t think she should do Rehab, either. What the heck does a little 16 year old angel know about addiction???

• Tarc says:

If this season of Idol has shown anything, it’s that the under 18’s cannot dress too old, and they need to pick younger material that they can emotinally connect to (rather than just mimicking song that are too mature for where they are in life).

• Layla says:

Agree above. Jessica isn’t going to be singing Rehab and if she did then Jimmy should be fired for not doing his job right. Why have a mentor then?

33. angelstorm says:

I’d like to hear Jessica do “Dog Days are Over” or “You’ve got the love” (Florence + the Machine) or One of Amy Winehouse’s slower songs . . .

34. Tim Wilson says:

Do they have to be current? If not I’d like Skylar to do “Downtown” or “To Sir With Love.”

35. Bob says:

Roll Away your Stone – Mumford and Sons
    Cosmic Love – Florence and the Machine

36. wishing says:

Skunk anansie’s Secretly for Jessica!

37. wendeeloo says:

I know it’s been done but I’d love to hear Skylar do “To Sir With Love” – Hollie could do “Colour My World”or “Downtown” by Petula Clark – Phillip – since he’s not feeling well – should do something requiring less energy like “Well Respected Man” by the Kinks. Joshua could try “Holding Back the Years” by Simply Red – Jessica could do any number of Dusty Springfield songs like “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me” Nice big song for her.

• Suzie says:

Skylar would screech “To Sir With Love”, but since I’d like her gone, that’s a great idea.

• gregk says:

I also had thought Hollie would do well with Petula Clark (and commented this yesterday). Interestingly, for me, Color My World also was the first song I thought she should sing! I was a big fan of Petula, who had fabulous orchestration and lyrics to enhance her vocals. To Sir With Love was another of my all time favorites from the 60’s and would love to see someone do it.

• gregk says:

I would like to add for all the LOST fans that we should recall that season three opened with Juliet listening to Downtown, a Tony HATCH song.

• Marsaili says:

And she burnt herself real bad making muffins for her reading group. Maybe the girls should stay away from that song!

38. Marie says:

Tarc-I think you meant to say Phil is unamazing and overrated

39. Top Cat says:

I think One Eskimo’s “Amazing” would be an awesome choice for Joshua.

• MamaLis says:

I just went and watched that (I know..) , and while the dude has a cool voice there’s hardly any lyrics as it’s mostly about being ‘born again.” Hardly an Idol choice.

• Top Cat says:

Who cares if it’s about being “born again” (which incidentally l could mean 1000 different things to a 1000 different people). It’s an awesome song that Josh would do some serious justice to

40. Lo says:

Hollie: Somewhere Only We Know (Keane) / You Know I’m No Good (Amy Winehouse)
    Jessica: The Scientist (Coldplay) / Yesterday (Beatles)
    Joshua: The Night Before or Come Together (Beatles)
    P2: Wonderful World (James Morrison) / Roxanne (The Police)
    Skylar: I Want to Hold Your Hand (Beatles) / A Hard Day’s Night (Beatles)

I’m obviously hoping for some Beatles tunes haha

• darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, I have to say, I love the idea of “Roxanne” for P2, although I always think of Eddie Murphy screeching that song in the movie “48 Hours”. “Come Together” has really been done way too much on Idol, IMO and it doesn’t even approach being one of the best Beatles songs. I do like the idea of “I Want to Hold Your Hand” for Skylar, though, and it might erase my memory of that Haeley chick with the guitar that massacred that song a few years ago (Season 9?)

But please, no Coldplay. By anyone. Ever again.

41. Josie says:

I think hollie should do “the show” by lenka cause the lyrics really suit her well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elsh3J5lJ6g&ob=av2e

• MamaLis says:

Okay, that was a cute song and video, but I don’t know…. Song choice is a HUGE deal right now for these kids and the songs have to be more than cute or fun and probably not obscure. Like would this song create a good ‘moment’ or one of those awkward moments where the room is quiet and everyone kind of looks at each other? I don’t know the answer, I’m just saying that in choosing, they really need to think about what the song can potentially do for them as the vocalist and artist and what it can potentially do for the audience. Every song is generating votes right now so.. whew! Pressure’s on.

42. Ringo says:

Joshua: “Valerie” by Amy W.
    Jessica: “American Boy” by Estelle
    Skyler: “Holding Back the Years” by Simply Red
    Hollie: “River Man” by Nick Drake (ala Patricia Callahan)
    P2: “Mercy” by Duffy

43. Davey says:

If Jessica did Fields of Gold by Sting, the Eva Cassidy version, she would have a HUGE moment.

44. I say Mamma Knows Best by Jessie J would be AMAZING for Jessica!!!

• T_T says:

I’m sure Jessica can pull this one off. The problem though is… she will most probably be accused of mimicking again. Because this is another song you can’t do any better than how Jessie J did it.

45. Hollie and her family are from Liverpool, the best prediction you cudda done was for a Liverpudlian artist say like The Beatles, the biggest band of all time!?

46. TheBeach says:

Robbie Williams has sung some pretty tuneful pop songs.

47. Tim says:

If Elise was still in it, I would have suggested Shirley Bassey’s “Ballad of the Sad Young Men”.

48. greysfan says:

Surely someone will choose Adele. She is the pinnacle of British singers right now.

49. 0101jyj says:

I want Josh to do Kiss From A Rose by Seal!! If he does this..honestly, i’ll just die from all the fangirl spazz!!^^

50. Emily says:

Someone needs to sing Jessie J…preferably Hollie singing Price Tag, or even Skylar putting a twist on one of her songs.

• Tarc says:

Ew… not Price Tag. Jessica could do Domino, but there isn’t anyone with the vocal ability to do Price Tag on the show. I’m all for more Jesse J, though.