Fox Renews Fringe For 'Exciting and Climactic' Fifth and Final Season

This is good news no matter what universe or timeline you live in: Fox has renewed Fringe for a fifth and final 13-episode season.

Back in January, Fox president Kevin Reilly conceded that Fringe‘s low ratings were negatively impacting the network’s bottom line. ”We lose a lot of money on the show,” he said. “At that rating, on [Friday] night, its impossible to make money. We’re not in the business of losing money.”

Season Finale Guide: 54 Big Finishes Spoiled — Fringe Included!

But Fringe remains a passion project for Reilly. And Warner Bros. — eager for the J.J. Abrams thriller to reach that magic, syndication-enhancing 100 episode threshold — agreed to reduce the show’s license fee (i.e. the amount the studio charges the network for each episode).

Fringe is a remarkably creative series that has set the bar as one of television’s most imaginative dramas,” Reilly said in a statement Thursday. “Bringing it back for a final 13 allows us to provide the climactic conclusion that its passionate and loyal fans deserve. The amazing work the producers, writers and the incredibly talented cast and crew have delivered the last four seasons has literally been out of this world. Although the end is bittersweet, it’s going to be a very exciting final chapter.”

Producers were prepared for either outcome. John Noble (Walter) recently told TVLine that the May 11 finale could serve as a season or series finale. “We’ve shot two [endings],” he said.

Joshua Jackson, meanwhile, hinted that “the door to the fifth season” was opened in last Friday’s episode, which took place in the year 2036 and featured a “game-changing battle” between the Fringe team and the Observers. “If you watch that, you’ll have an understanding of where they want to take the series.”

You may also find a clue or two in the following Season 5 trailer, which accompanied Thursday’s announcement.

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news!

1. Vannesa says:

WOO HOO…great news. ;) :D

2. rubytu says:

YES!!! I was going to say Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!! but, somehow, the fact that it’s only 13 episodes and the FINAL SEASON makes me too sad to do that enthusiastically. So, it’s good news and bad news

3. murley says:

so, so glad to hear this.

4. S.Cutajar says:

Thank you FOX! But I believe this storyline might not end in season 15 (13 or 22 episodes). The producers might have up something in their ‘proverbial sleeve’.

5. S.Cutajar says:

sorry… I meant season 5!! For all those posting negative remarks… sit back and enjoy the show!

6. Amy says:

Really excited to see Fringe 2036!! I was left wanting more after the future episode. So good!!

7. Joy says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much to all that made this possible.

8. John says:

Great it’s renewed, too bad it’s a shortened last season.

But on the other hand I’m dealing with some (IMHO) declining longtime favorites that I’m staying with, for the most part, even though they’ve overstayed their welcome: and if they don’t turn it around I don’t expect to bother too far into next year. Too much good alternatives on USA SyFy etc.

Fringe hadn’t threatened that yet and some don’t ever get there (NCIS, JAG). Others do all too quickly (Dark Angel).

9. me says:

Great news. As much as I love the show, I think it’s pretty awesome they decided on 13. Ending on 100 is the perfect way for this show to go. I fully expect it to be life altering.

10. Great news! Its nice to see the network listening to the fans for a change and although they are not in the business of loosing money they are in the business of entertaining. That shouldn’t be forgotten,

11. Fringer says:

I thank the Load for all the gifts I receve. To say I am happy would be an understatement, This is the best TV show ever created since the x-files. I can’t wait to find out what happens next. I urge all of you, tell everyone you know to pick up the DVD’s or watch online so they can catch up to the fifth season, so the world may watch this season together and just maybe get the ratings to go through the roof, so they extend the series even longer, now that would be epic!

• Ken says:

FRINGER, I do agree that if we all watch the show live to get those ratings as high as possible, there is the possibility that we may get an extended season.Now we all know that sponsorship is what drive these shows,so i was thinking, if we Fringies show that we were patronizing these present sponsors products,other outside sponsors may jump on board to get some of our business,hence an extended season.
      Just a thought.

12. Bob Genghis Khan says:

As a fan from day one, sad to see it go but all good things must come to an end. BUT I’ll take 13 episodes and a definitive conclusion any day of the week over a potentially mind-boggling season 4 finale that potentially could have created more questions than provide answers.

13. Grandpa Tom says:

Great News,, after season 5 comes the Movies!!!!! I will pay top dollar to continue this great series!

14. I am soooo glad. I’m as sucker for good action and romance, and I REALLY want to see the Walter/Astrid relationship come to fruition.

15. GameBoi says:

Bring back Finder and Awake please!!! And thank you for a final season of Fringe, awesome!

16. Will Speed says:

WHHHHHHAAAAA!!!! I want Stargate: Universe back. I want Terra Nova tooo, who cares if the show cost too much the ratings were great. Whhhaaaa!!!!

17. Ronald Mounts says:

It’s really depressing Fringe didn’t get enough ratings to keep it going, cause it is a fantastic show that really tugs at the imagination…but I’m glad they get a chance to close it out. I’m really going to miss this series once the story is finally over.

18. Susan Howe says:

Wa-hoo…I am overjoyed at the news that Fringe will continue with a 5th season. Hats off to all supporters…the show is fantastic!

19. Red says:

YAY but only one season left…come on!

20. Aurawave is one of many TENS units price more than
    than $200 some are even $400 or more than, but component of what initially set it apart from the galvanising pulses that the Aurawave delivers.

21. gas says:

plz START FRINGE AGAIN Y HAVE TO MAKE MORE SERIES IT DOSENT END

22. Brian Tilaro says:

Fringe was the most imaginative, innovative shows on television. Now is the time for Netflix to pick up the Fringe series and make more episodes, as they have done with other cancelled shows. Netflix’ business model is not based upon advertising, but on the number of subscribers they can sign-up (and keep).The fan base is hyper-loyal and large enough to continue to grow with good writing. It would be a win-win for the show, all those employed on the show, all the fan, and most important, Netflix’ bottom line.

Are you listening, Netflix?

23. face says:

Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with?

I’m looking to start my own blog soon but I’m having
    a tough time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and
    I’m looking for something unique. P.S Apologies
    for being off-topic but I had to ask!

24. Wilhelmina says:

I like what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work
    and exposure! Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve included you guys to my own blogroll.