Fox Renews Fringe For 'Exciting and Climactic' Fifth and Final Season

Get More: News, Renewals

This is good news no matter what universe or timeline you live in: Fox has renewed Fringe for a fifth and final 13-episode season.

Back in January, Fox president Kevin Reilly conceded that Fringe‘s low ratings were negatively impacting the network’s bottom line. ”We lose a lot of money on the show,” he said. “At that rating, on [Friday] night, its impossible to make money. We’re not in the business of losing money.”

Season Finale Guide: 54 Big Finishes Spoiled — Fringe Included!

But Fringe remains a passion project for Reilly. And Warner Bros. — eager for the J.J. Abrams thriller to reach that magic, syndication-enhancing 100 episode threshold — agreed to reduce the show’s license fee (i.e. the amount the studio charges the network for each episode).

Fringe is a remarkably creative series that has set the bar as one of television’s most imaginative dramas,” Reilly said in a statement Thursday. “Bringing it back for a final 13 allows us to provide the climactic conclusion that its passionate and loyal fans deserve. The amazing work the producers, writers and the incredibly talented cast and crew have delivered the last four seasons has literally been out of this world. Although the end is bittersweet, it’s going to be a very exciting final chapter.”

Producers were prepared for either outcome. John Noble (Walter) recently told TVLine that the May 11 finale could serve as a season or series finale. “We’ve shot two [endings],” he said.

Joshua Jackson, meanwhile, hinted that “the door to the fifth season” was opened in last Friday’s episode, which took place in the year 2036 and featured a “game-changing battle” between the Fringe team and the Observers. “If you watch that, you’ll have an understanding of where they want to take the series.”

You may also find a clue or two in the following Season 5 trailer, which accompanied Thursday’s announcement.

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news!

Tags: ,

Comments (198)

• Totally cool. I love that this show will get a proper send off!

Comment by Christina – April 26, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God! Now if only Fox would let all 13 episodes air without interruption. I doubt they will though since the World Series usually gets in the way of Fringe airing uninterrupted in the Fall. I would be for Fox starting Season 5 after the World Series so that we could get all 13 eps back to back, although I doubt that would happen because it would be too logical. Yes I am grateful to Fox for renewing Fringe, but I also think they share some of the blame for Fringe’s low ratings since they chose to move the show around a lot and have caused it to lose momentum by not airing episodes consecutively.

Comment by girlsinthegarage – April 26, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope for a November-February airing. It would work well for Fox because then they could put a mid-season show on after Fringe ends. And they could also hype the end of Fringe because it wouldn’t get lost amidst all the May finales.

Comment by Laura E. – April 26, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed! I feel like friday night is the kiss of death for any show, especially when there are 2-3 weeks between each new episode! I can understand a re-run for a week or 2 but shows need consistency to build a better following

Comment by misha – April 26, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! There is a God–or at least a Prime Observer.

Comment by pavanne – April 26, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • September has something to do with it.

Comment by Jane – April 26, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it seems 5 seasons is the magic number for shows like this, these days.

Comment by Jerri – April 26, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing News!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment by rost10 – April 26, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Y-E-S! I am doing my happy dance! :-)

Comment by kirads09 – April 26, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news but I’m still bitter that they left it to die on Fridays. It was doing well before then, was it not? Put Idol on Fridays and see how well it does, you jerks.

Comment by TigerNightmare – April 26, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!! Made my day! Wait, make that my year!!!

Comment by Mike – April 26, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suh-weet!!!

Comment by Lorie – April 26, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch fringe but I got so say Congrats.

Comment by V – April 26, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So there is a god….

But this should have been a no-brainer. So should season 6, 7, 8 ,9 & 10 ;)

Comment by BonesFringeFan – April 26, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has there ever been a show with this many changes in the Renewel Scorecard? I hadn’t noticed that it was recently went from ‘A Sure Thing’ to ‘A Safe Bet.’

Comment by Ryan – April 26, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! YES! YES! So happy to see FRINGE returning for a fifth and final season. Eat your heart out, CHUCK. :-)

Comment by bad kevin – April 26, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um, what does Chuck have to do with anything?

Comment by raven – April 26, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not sure what “Eat your heart out, Chuck” really has to do with anything, but it’s the exact situation with Fringe as was with Chuck last year, where Warner Brothers reduced the licensing fee on a low rated show, and allowed it to return for a fifth and final 13 episode season

Comment by Alex – April 26, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I know, and as a fan of Chuck myself I was extremely grateful they got to wrap it up and end it the way they wanted (even if it wasn’t quite what I had in mind, lol). I’m just confused as to why ‘bad kevin’ would bring Chuck up in that context.

Comment by raven – April 26, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can die happy now!… Or wait, after those 13 episodes have aired, then I could happily have died :)

Comment by Martyna – April 26, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Horrid Photoshop. But yes, that is Anna.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 27, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad Fringe is renewed!!!! Now can ABC renew Once Upon A Time and Revenge already?

Comment by Kissan – April 26, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • people who think abc won’t renew once upon and revenge are idiots.

Comment by Nina – April 26, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Today is a great day! Hugs to all Fringe fans out there, except for that psycho Josh fan and Anna fan because you guys annoy the hell out of me! Season 5!!!!

Comment by polerus – April 26, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A televised to-the-death cage battle between those two would make some Fringies really happy.

Comment by Aimee – April 26, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • actually I’m starting to think these are the same person, oddly enough.

Comment by Kaa – April 26, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Believe me Kaa you are not the only one.

Comment by panda – April 26, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yessss! Tv By the Numbers was wrong again! HAHAHA!

Comment by Jason A – April 26, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news! I’m glad the writers will have a chance to wrap up the story in an amazing manner!

Comment by Mena – April 26, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch fringe, but Im truly happy for all the fans. Congratulations!!!

Comment by Mh – April 26, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed-it’s always nice to see such passionate fanbases getting what they want :).
      Plus, all the “Fringe” talk around here has made me intrigued enough to want to go back and check out the show from the start at some point. So there’s that, too.

Comment by Angela – April 27, 2012 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!!!! Such great news!!!!!!!!!!! One my favourite shows, looking forward to see how they will wrap it up.

Comment by Lauren – April 26, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never been so excited by the announcement of a final season. I am so happy that Fringe will have a chance to wrap up its universe properly–that is all we could ask.

Comment by Laura E. – April 26, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is AWESOME!!! :D

Now if Fox could somehow do something to fix the mess that Glee has become… maybe with these two things in minds I will be able to forgive them about Dollhouse lol.

Comment by Jane – April 26, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO DAMN HAPPY!

Comment by Kirstin E. Jewell – April 26, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • deja vu…. first chuck for 13 and everyones saying it’s the best news ever and now this…

Comment by alpine – April 26, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mahalo Fox!

Comment by GeoDiva – April 26, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. (TV) News. This. Year. Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Thanks, Fox! This is most definitely a win for all of us Fringe and cult show fans! Now if we can just get Community renewed.

Comment by Amy – April 26, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could not have happened to a better show or nicer people.

Comment by Kaa – April 26, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! YES! YES!!! wooooohooo! ok now bring on a Ringer renewal and I’ll be really happy!! :)

Comment by Robin – April 26, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um i have one question. will Fringe have enough episodes to go into syndication? I am so happy that Fringe is renewed. 13 episodes is good enough for me.

Comment by Taryn – April 26, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes they will.the additional 13 episodes will bring them to the 100 episodes mark,this is the minimum requirement of episodes for syndication.

Comment by Ken – April 29, 2012 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I’m good now. Later…

Comment by sladewilson – April 26, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing news, great move by FOX, couldn’t be happier.

Comment by raftrap – April 26, 2012 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Literally just gasped out loud when I saw this headline.

Comment by YowzaPowza – April 26, 2012 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy to hear this awesome news! I was hoping for 22 episodes, but 13 is better than nothing! :)

Comment by Joe – April 26, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice one Fox, now renew Alcatraz and I’ll be a very happy bunny!

Comment by nellywelly – April 26, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am elated that they are letting the writers end it properly. And do justice to the stories they have unraveled over the seasons. At least we’ll get a chance to say goodbye! :)

Comment by Singingal – April 26, 2012 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for this, Fox. You won’t read this, but I pledge to buy all 5 season of Fringe on BluRay when it is available as a boxed set. You could have left all of us fans hanging, but you didn’t, and I will show you my appreciation for that in the way that you really want me to. With money.

Also, if you want to bring back Firefly now and do that show some justice, I Would be fine with that also.

Comment by Nick – April 26, 2012 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Comment by Polly – April 26, 2012 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeeeesssss! Thank goodness! I’m so freakin happy!

Comment by Justin – April 27, 2012 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For viewers to understand TV, this renewal has more to do about having enough episodes for syndication. This is similar to shows that reached a point that it’s better to keep going for the bigger pot of afterlife gold. Shows like “Drew Carey Show,” “Scrubs,” “‘Till Death,” “Chuck,” “According to Jim,” and “Cougar Town” (if this show gets renewed next month) are the recent examples.

Comment by BuddyG – April 27, 2012 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy that FOX has finally managed to keep a good sci-fi show running this long for a change. This is the first sci-fi show they have let run more than 2 seasons after putting it in the Friday night DEATH SLOT since The X Files. Fringe is such an amazing show, and I wish they would give it more time. They talk about the ratings killing the show, but I wonder if they count people who record the show on DVR or TIVO, or watch it OnDemand or on their website as ratings? Not all of us are home at that time on Friday night and cannot watch it live. In fact, I haven’t watched live TV in years. All of my TV is DVR’d of OnDemand. If they are counting those viewings as ratings, they really should. It’s also very disappointing that they continue to place great sci-fi shows in the same time slot every season, then kill it off while whining that the ratings are low. Clearly this slot doesn’t give you the live viewers that you craze for a genre that could make you rich with ratings by continuing to place them on Friday night death. Pull your heads out FOX and realize the mistake!

But again, thank you for allowing Fringe to run this long instead of killing it after season 2 like you did to Dark Angel, Firefly, Terminator: TSCC and others. Learn from your mistakes and stop repeating them. Fringe’s steam only started to slow down when you moved it, thinking that it was popular enough that if you placed it in the death slot it would be unaffected. Clearly you were wrong. Again.

Comment by Sean Wald – April 27, 2012 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES,the most wonderful news ever!!!

Comment by EE – April 27, 2012 04:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thanks god

Comment by sadasdf – April 27, 2012 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Fringe! I’m so happy and sad. I am thrilled this awesome show will be back but it’s so good it should be for more than 13 episodes (maybe they can do a movie one day). I do love and respect when networks recognize good shows and give the show (and fans) to get a proper ending and not abruptly cancelling shows.

Comment by JoshJacksononOnceuponatimefan – April 27, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank You so much Mr. Reilly and Warner Bros.! This is what it’s about, giving us (loyal viewers) the much deserved opportunity for a real ending. Thanks so much!

Comment by David – April 27, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes Yes!!! I’m so thrilled!!!

Comment by Mamoru – April 27, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it airs after the World Series is over so it can air uninterrupted. I am so happy Fringe is getting the chance to end properly! Fox earned some credit back! I gave them a tiny bit when they allowed Dollhouse to rush an ending to what was supposed to be a 5-year plot, but still, it got a proper ending (unlike Tru Calling which ended right when it was getting good, plus countless other shows!)

Comment by Mikael – April 27, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW should renew Supernatural for one last season, just saying… The show has such a large fan-base that not-renewing it would be a crime! Oh, and I’m very happy that Fringe got renewed, but only so that it can run in syndication?

Comment by Ely – April 27, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gene the cow will be happy to hear this!

Comment by mike19702 – April 27, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy the writers will have a chance for an “ending”.

NOT HAPPY that there will only be one more season of Fringe.

Comment by djrogue – April 27, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post