American Idol Top 6 Results Recap: Any Way the Wind Blows, Doesn't Really Matter [Updated]

jessica sanchez elise testoneWe’ve reached the point in the American Idol season when results nights get truly, madly, deeply depressing — and not just because voting off Katy Perry in place of one of the stupendous Top 6 contestants is inexplicably not an option.

But seeing how it was Queen week on Idol, it seems appropriate to find some solace in the words of the late, great Freddie Mercury:

I’ll face it with a grin.
I’m never giving in.
On with the show.
The show must go on.

Yes indeed, no matter how you feel about this week’s elimination — and to be honest, I’m feeling a little like someone grabbed the two-thirds full bottle of sauvignon blanc out of my fridge and poured it down the drain (emotional distress level: horrified) — there was no way I was going to bed tonight without feeling a little disconcerted about someone getting a farewell montage set to Scotty McCreery’s “Pleeeeuhhhzzz remayyyymmmber maaaayyy.”

American Idol Top 6 Performance Recap: They’ll Keep on Fighting Till the End

Because ultimately, although I (and most of you) have spent the last four months nitpicking, kvetching, scrutinizing, and backseat driving over the “journeys” of the Season 11 wannabes, the earnest part of my heart (all 96 percent of it) has to give it up to the last six contestants standing. They’re really good. Good in a way that chart-toppers like Rihanna and Katy Perry and LMFAO and Justin Bieber could only fantasize about if they took the stage without the benefit of a backing track and/or an army of highly skilled backup singers.

So on with the show. The show must go on.

Before we dish this week’s results, though, a few thoughts on the telecast:

* I generally don’t give a flying fig about how many votes are cast each week, but I thought Ryan’s note that this week’s 58 million tally was 10 million more than the corresponding week in Season 10 just proves how evenly matched the current field is, and what a motivator that has to be to the various contestants’ fan bases.

* Yo. Yo. Check it out. The Queen Extravaganza was just a’aight for me, for you. Discuss!

* What I don’t want to discuss? The Top 6’s trip to TMZ. Why not just roll the contestants through a pile of dung, force them to wade through a stream of toxic sludge, then douse them with anthrax powder? The end result would be just as humiliating and equally foul, without giving any unnecessary publicity to Harvey Levin and his creepy empire. (Side note: I can’t imagine any scenario where J.Lo would’ve found funny that joke about hot young guys — including current beau Casper Smart — who’ve advanced their careers by romancing the “On the Floor” singer. And I’m a little bit surprised Uncle Nigel would allow her to be ridiculed like that in her own backyard, even if she can dry her tears with $100 bills.)

* Listening to Jimmy Iovine complain about Jessica’s choice of “Bohemian Rhapsody” — just a week after declaring he’d make sure she chose more age-appropriate material for the remainder of the competition — I couldn’t help but wonder: Why didn’t the Top 6 get their usual mentoring session with the Interscope chairman this week?

* As Elise took her spot at the Silver Stools of Doom (TM), my husband turned to me and asked, “Is she on her cell phone?” Obviously, she wasn’t, but wouldn’t that have been the most jaw-dropping response to a Bottom 3 placement in American Idol history? (Think about it for next week, Hollie!)

* Oh how I want to go down with Casey Abrams to the barber shop.

* My non-Idol-watching friend Drew, visiting for dinner tonight, summed up Stefano Langone’s guest performance pretty succinctly: “He’s like the Scott Baio version of the Black Eyed Peas.” I have to give Stefano 10 points for enthusiasm and a reasonably catchy chorus, but those lyrics (“my ex wants sex tonight”?), those wack backup dancers, and even the song title (“I’m on a Roll”? Like a ham and cheese sammich?) are all Rated SMDH.

* Talk about damning praise: Jimmy Iovine describing Hollie’s cover of “The Climb” as “as well as [she] could do.”

* Congrats to Randy for maintaining his cycle of ostentatiously stupid accessories this season with that “Yo Yo Yo” necklace. As fellow Idoloonie @AdamBaranker pointed out on Twitter this week, all of the Dawg’s “YO” paraphernalia should be secretly flipped backstage and turned into “OY.” (I would also accept “NO.”)

Anyway, on with results…

Sent Directly to Safety (In No Particular Chronological Order)
Jessica Sanchez
Joshua Ledet
Phillip “Does your daddy let you date?” Phillips

Sent to the Bottom 3
Elise Testone
Hollie Cavanagh
Skylar Laine

First One Sent Back to Safety
Skylar Laine

Eliminated
Elise Testone

Ugh. I’ve got nothing. Well, except for the fact that I’m bummed the cameras cut away at the exact moment Elise dropped to her knees and began to bring her exit performance of”Whole Lotta Love” to a raucous, Middle Eastern-inspired conclusion. This is how her Idol runs ends — not with a bang, but with the cold open of Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch.

I’ll be back overnight to update this post with more details — including a discussion of Jimmy Iovine’s “totally” “spontaneous” “responses” to Wednesday’s performances — but until then, I turn things over to you.

What did you think of Top 6 results? Did Elise deserve to get booted? If not, who should’ve been sent home? Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Kirk Sansom says:

I will truly miss Elise. She has the whole package ~ singer, songwriter, musician and she is entertaining to watch perform. I have never liked Joshua or Jessica, their upper registers sound like they’re screaming and it just doesn’t sound appealing to me. Don’t hate me for my opinion. Skyler and Phillip are the only true artists left ~ not only do they play/sing/write but they put on a show too. Even if they get voted off they will get signed. From last season Scotty, Lauren, Haley, James, Casey, Stefano AND Pia all got recording contracts. Whether they can do something with the chance they’ve been given will be another story. I actually think Stefano’s song/performance was very current and I enjoyed listening to it.

• Erin says:

Stefano’s song was great. So happy for that guy! And c’mon. Slezak -admit that you are, too!

• TC says:

Why do you call Skylar and Phillip artists? Because they can play the guitar?? If you want to talk about screechy, then let’s talk Skylar who always sounds like she’s screaming and not singing. And P2 has about has much singing ability in his whole being as Josh has in his pinky finger. I’m not sure how P2 “puts on a show” when he barely moves on stage, and looks as if he’s about blow an artery every time he opens his mouth. Josh can at least sing like crazy, dance and he shows an incredible amount of charisma on stage. I’m all for the “artist” on AI (I loved Kris Allen) and usually don’t pander to the showmanship stuff (i.e.-Lady Gaga), but Josh is the whole package in my opinion.

2. Annie says:

I had low expectations for the season when the top 24 was announced, but I have to admit that this group has grown on me, and that this is one of the most talented groups that the show has ever seen.

Elise leaving isn’t a surprise. Deep down, she probably wanted it to happen, and expected it to happen over the last few weeks. She’s talented, but was very inconsistent.

3. Jane says:

Boo, hiss! I’m sad Elise got voted off, but I kind of knew it was her time to go. She was the only contestant left whose performance surprised me every week. The others kind of “do what they do” to paraphrase the dog. Welcome again to teen idol, part 2. Hollie sings pretty sometimes and she is very beautiful, but there is zero personality in her singing. When she sang “The Climb,” it wasn’t her voice that bothered me. She’s actually has a stronger voice than Miley, but her version paled in comparison to the original. Miley is all about personality and feeling and when she sings you feel the struggles she been though, (i.e. the climb) to get to where she is. I don’t feel anything when Holly sings. And it has nothing to do with her age. She’s only a few years younger than Miley Cyrus. I think Jessica is very talented and I disagree with people who think she doesn’t sing with feeling. I’m glad the judges saved her. I’m on the fence with Skylar. A lot of times she just screams the song which doesn’t equal feeling in my book. I like Joshua, I’m just not sure I like his singing. I a big DMB fan, so I’ve never really liked Phillip. Dave Mathews is cool b/c he doesn’t sound like anyone else. Phillip needs to find his own sound and stop ripping off Dave. So, who do I have left to root for now? I’m going with Jessica.

4. PatD says:

Just wanted to add that I loved, loved, loved that Elise didn’t cry when she got auf’d. Way to go out like the strong woman that you are, Elise.

5. imho says:

voting Katy Perry off – funny. Saw that around twitter as well hee hee. She was really not that good tonight. Mr. S – AmericanIdol.com has the “after the elimination while the camera’s were still rolling” video’s – found out last week when they cut off Colton. Mosey over there tomorrow to see how Elise finished, the lame judges comments (ah – dude, I mean it, you are really a star! Seriously! Dude! )

6. Elena says:

I tend to root for contestants who are a little different from the norm or who inspire me to feel SOMETHING, so while Erika, Deandre and now Elise have been voted off, my one hope, Skylar, remains. I was hoping for an Elise/Skylar finale, but now I’m going to hope for Skylar and anyone but Phillip Phillips. At least all other remaining contestants can truly sing and not just make pained expressions week after week. ;-)

7. Kitty says:

At least Elise did “Whole Lotta Love” as her sing-out, because maybe then the people who voted for–I’m determined to not bash any of the other contestants just because I’m angry about Elise. But maybe they’ll see that and wonder, “what the *&^@%! were we thinking?!”

Yeah, she had some issues with consistency, but when she’s on, her voice is magic.

8. Sharon says:

All I have to say is that America is a bunch of dumb assess!

9. NedPepper says:

Well, I’m super bummed. Not “quit watching like last year” bummed, but whenever your favorite is picked off (and certain less talented folk remain) I can’t help but feel that same frustrating feeling I get every year watching this show. It feels like an eternity since someone I actually liked won the show….(it was Kris Allen..not that long ago, but it sure feels that way). Phillip is going to win this. And I got to be honest: I have no ill feelings toward the guy, but the truth is that I don’t think he’s earned it for the right reasons. And that’s SINGING. So with Elise gone….my votes go to Joshua. I’d probably never buy his album (or any other contestants left for that matter…just being honest), but he DESERVES the win.

• elisefan44 says:

word to your whole post, ned!

• Kay says:

Screechy church guy? No way.

• NedPepper says:

I’ll take him over Country Girl and White, Male Cute Guitar Player From South. Hell, I’ll take the two teenage robots (Pearfict and Miss Youtube) over either one of them. Just for a change of pace.

• Tarc says:

I’m with you on this, Kay. Everybody left beats screaching and screaming most of the time. Hopefully, Joshua will make the rest of the show more pleasant and pick songs where that is downplayed.

• Joy says:

It’s interesting seeing how fragmented Elise’s fan base now is in terms of who to support next — I’ve seen (here and elsenet) former Elise voters announce their support for Joshua, for Skylar, for Jessica, for Hollie, for Phillip…and I guess that’s all of them, isn’t it? Makes me happy — she pulled together a fan base that appreciates a lot of different kinds of music, and a lot of different qualities in a singer. I think that speaks well of her own multi-faceted talent, and hope it’s also a good sign for her future career. It also says to me that, as others (including Michael, many times) have pointed out, she was competing in a genuinely strong field — even while I would have liked her to go farther, there’s no shame at all in a sixth-place finish this season…

10. Phillip Phillips as it is – is getting by simply because this season does not have any standout wow idol performance yet. I don’t necessarily buy the WGWG thing. Kris Allen and David Cook were outstanding in their seasons and had their idol moments with Heartless/Falling Slowly and Hello/Billy Jean. Unless any contestant does a truly memorable performance in the next few weeks, expect P2 to take all the way like Scotty did last season.

11. Lea H. says:

Sorry to see Elise go. She’s so talented and her fans have the right to be upset. If it had been Holly to go, her fans would have been sad, also, or any one of the remaining contestants. Each elimination night is going to be rough. I feel bad for Phillip, trying to make it through the competition with kidney stones. It is one of the most painful things a person can go through. How long do they allow him to stay on the show, as sick as he is, if people keep voting him through. It’s obviously effecting his performances now, but he has such a huge fan base and they will continue to carry him through. His health should be first priority. Let’s hope his doctors can do something to get him through this.

12. justin says:

the show would have been a lot better if stefano took his shirt off.

13. afghan says:

I have one plea America. Can we make Idol an equal opportunity employer again. Please! Picture it please. Think Joshua/Jessica or Hollie/ Skylar or Skylar/Joshua or Jessica/Hollie final. Think of the performance you will get from those 4. If Philip makes it to the finals, the dynamics of a real fight would not exist, cause anyone against him would know they will lose. So everyone writing on this blog. Even if you love Philip, but he will be ok. He has a record deal guarantee. For the name of a great show, let’s have Jessica, Skylar, Joshua, Hollie top 4. Girls and minorities only you can bring that change. Please!! My dream is a Skylar win. But, I will take anyone but Philip.

14. paisley says:

Elise has a powerful and unique voice but I never felt connected to her and, like Haley, I believe she was unfairly portrayed on the show. At the very least, jLo praised Elise’s hendrix cover and told randy he was wrong. Haley didn’t get that much love from the judges. But now here is Jimmy Iovine to give his armchair “analysis” with 20/20 hindsight (and probably knowledge of the results) to knock our idols down. I am so sick of him popping up on my screen on results night! Why don’t they just make him a judge? Get rid of Randy. Anyway, Katy Perry’s “performance” on the results show was a cruel juxtaposition of sorts, as one of the most talented vocalists on Idol exists the show.

15. NedPepper says:

I should also say that was quickest American Idol I’ve ever watched. Results and done. I tried watching the Queen cover band until I realized…I’m listening to a Queen cover band. Then came Stefano. Fast forward quickly. Then Katy Perry’s whatever the hell that was…fast forward, stat!. Idol was like 15 minutes tonight.

16. Joe says:

Can’t say I’m surprised Phillip has it in the bag. You’d have to be a moron to forget which show you’re watching and why people vote the way they do. It’s not a singing competition anymore. It hasn’t been for years. And don’t give me you have some special ear for music and he is amazing. He’s not. Phillip won’t survive in a market trying to do Dave Matthews music. No one does his music. The reason it didn’t work on Idol was because it never should’ve been on there in the first place. DMB is about the moment. It’s about the give and take between Dave, the band and the fans. It’s about Boyd stepping up one night or Carter going off. It was about Leroi (RIP) breaking into glimpses of Gershiwn or Somewhere Over the Rainbow in the middle of a killer solo. It was about Two Step in the rain. It was about maybe hearing Halloween. Phillip will never experience that for real since he’s chasing the real thing. Dave’s fans aren’t going to stop going to Dave and start following Phillip and all the little girls & big boys (you know who you are fellas) who think Phillip is so cute will be listening to Dave freshman year in college and using Phillip’s CD as a coaster. I don’t hate the kid, but he is doing nothing original. I know you gooey eyed fans can’t admit that and I don’t expect you to. You’re voting for a personality. You’re not voting because you love Dave and jam band music. You wouldn’t know moe from Umphreys. You have no idea who Warren Haynes is. You’re voting for the aw shucks grin and you know it. And that’s your right. It’s an open competition, but you’ll all abandon him when the next crop of aw shucks grins get cast a year from now. Elise was an artist. Josh is an artist. Skylar is most definitely an artist. Phillip should go to sleep every night thanking his lucky stars that Dave Matthews was born and God gave him the ability to ape him.

• Jane says:

I love all things jam band related, but I love American Idol too. Let’s hope Phillip can write his own songs, meet some great musicians and form a cool band that maybe plays a few festivals, and gives up on his pale imitation of Dave. Remember, there would be no Dave Mathews without the Grateful Dead, and there would be no Grateful Dead without Chuck Berry and Bill Monroe. All musicians borrow from each other. Some of my favorite Dave songs are covers like Long Black Veil, All Along the Watchtower. At least we know Phillip has good taste in music. I agree though, he really should stop trying to sound exactly like Dave Mathews. I will miss Elise. And I just saw Warren Haynes last week. I hope all those youngsters find out about him. He was awesome!

• Joe says:

Jane – Great post. You clearly get what I’m saying. It’s difficult to watch, for me, as DMB holds a special place in my heart. I feel like this guy is cheating and stealing Dave’s mojo that Dave worked hard on and created himself. When I saw the Queen cover band on Idol last night all I was thinking was there is Phillip’s future, front lining the DMB experience when Dave and the guys are too old to want to tour as aggressively as they always do. I’ll be surprised if Phillip is accepted on the jam band scene. He’s going to have to write incredible music to even approach the kind of image he’s putting out on TV. If he can’t write his own songs, that’ll be that. I think one of the first thing he should do is maybe not have a band/sound identical to Dave and ditch the horns and violin and do something more Allman Bros than DMB.

• Tarc says:

Blah bah blah (again). Phil doesn’t sound much like DM, and he’ll not likely do songs that close to DM, and the whole ramble is nonsense. Phillip writes his own music, so he’ll sound perfectly like himself when the album comes out.

• Joe says:

Yet, you keep reading everything I write. Obsessively. You can’t help yourself. I own you.

• connerc says:

I like Phillip. But, still, made me laugh.

• Tarc says:

LOL! Of course, this tread is all about *you*!

• MamaLis says:

Sorry to burst your bubble, Joe, but Tarc reads everything here. And if you comment about P2, he’s likely to comment back. I guess that means you’re just another blogger after all. (reh, reh, reh)

• Tarc says:

If people are rational and reasonable and just state their opinion as opinion, I rarely reply no matter what they say. If they don’t do that, then it’s fair game. Since nothing that Joe says is terribly reasonable, I reply. :D

• TheBeach says:

I have the latest Warren Haynes CD and it’s killer!

17. FreeHaley says:

Praise Hollie just enough and a last second Randy knock on Elise to put Hollie above Elise, Hollie being the lesser threat to Skylar between the two and then next week they can dump hard on Hollie to get rid of her and then they have Skylar safe to top four at least. Diabolical more subtle Nigel this season. Don’t quite give Elise the Haley lest she pick up too many sympathy votes and accidentally go a bit farther than intended but don’t praise her quite as much as deserved either of course, and make sure Randy always says she is one of the only two with no shot on the show and on the talk show rounds, lest she be thought of having a shot and taking off. Diabolical.

Or the show has turned me into a paranoid.

Either way it’s a sad state of affairs haha.

• FreeHaley says:

It was a bit curious the sudden standing O for Hollie at the end considering what they said about Elise and Jessica at earlier times in the night and yet gave neither of them a standing O, but I suppose you could read two different plans into that, who knows.

• Lea H. says:

I’m sorry, but you give Randy too much credit. I don’t think he has the power to influence anyone’s thinking. I think Hollie has a lot of power voting fans and Elise doesn’t. Some of her fans on this blog have commented that they’re not power voters. They voted a few times, but that was it. That’s why Hollie and Phillip, and to an extent, Jessica ( remember she is here only because of the save ) are still in the competition. They have crazy fervent fans who will vote all night long or until the polls close.

18. Alice says:

I have no idea how Hollie is still there. No. Idea. Shaking my head over America’s poor, poor judgment. Elise, I will miss you terribly. You deserved to go much further.

19. blingedup says:

Sad.

Elise has been my favorite from the start. I’d be much more likely to buy her music over anyone else left — except for Skylar — I’ll buy hers too. Elise and Skylar would (will?) be my only future purchaes from this stellar Season 11 group.

I’m going to miss Elise these next several weeks.

• FreeHaley says:

Indeed, I wasn’t even going to watch but tuned in right at the start of the voted rounds and heard her sing.

20. T_T says:

So sad to see Elise go. She had the best and most unique voice among the group. My dream top 2 was her and Jessica. Oh well… I already thought that dream is a long shot to the moon anyway. It looks very much like the judges are hoping for a Skylar & Joshua finals, to which I cannot argue since all are really good and deserving, imo.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah I knew it was impossible, certainly not on what Idol is now, but I had hoped Elise+Jessica finale.

Speaking of that, am I crazy or is Haley sort of a combination of Elise+Jessica?!

21. Hey says:

‘yo daddy let you date?!”
    !
    Whatever works baby. I’m right there wit cha! ;)

22. Tahoe Mike says:

It should have been P2.
    ~
    Stefanjaya still sucks.

23. Hear This says:

Ok here’s the thing.

Only one person can win. I get that. In the meantime however, I would like to enjoy my favorite every week that they are still in the competition.

Which means, yea-someone will need to go/take the dive.

24. cime says:

I was shocked, and again, not shocked that Elsie went home. I really like her voice. What I didin’t like was her personality, and that, my friends , may be just the reason she was voted off. But still, all in all, i think she should of won the whole thing,
    just on voice alone.

25. Jason says:

Damn I think you’re a little bitch sometimes SLezak! Why do you persist in cutting down Katy Perry every time you get a chance!!!! She is an amazing performer and singer and with the exception of possibly Joshua she is better then anyone on Idol!!!!! SHe has proven her worth with like nine hit singles in a row including a run of five number one songs in a row!! No one in the history of Idol has come close to that feat. I’ve seen her live show and it was spectacular. Her voice is ORIGINAL!!! It may not be Celine Dion but then again who wants to listen to eleven boring ballads in a row!!! SHe is A SONGWRITER!!! She has cowritten many of her hits!!!! She has even written a song that your precious god Kelly Clarkson liked so much she made it the lead single from her last album!!!! SO let’s just let your precious top six who haven’t even been able to land a record contract (Katy had one at 17!!!!!!!) release some viable material before you start claiming you want Katy voted off the show!!!

• afghan says:

Touchy much, Jason. It’s funny you come on someone blog and call them a bitch for having an opinion. So you did the same thing that you call him a bitch for doing. But Micheal did not got to Katy Perry’s house to say that. So I think you are worst. So what Katy Perry got a contract at 17. I did not like her performance. We all know she is a big star. Congrats and all the best wishes for her. It just that during the 5 min she was on the show I would have rather see something else. So like Slezak said I wish she was the one out tonight.

• Jason says:

If it were one time maybe. But Slezak cuts her down at least three or four times a season. Many times when she is not even on the show!!! I do like his Idoloonie show (I think he is a much better broadcaster then writer) and I like to come here and read people’s opinions but he has said some downright laughable opinions over the years, The worst was when he called the King of Punk Rock Iggy Pop a lunatic and completely missed the point that the reason Iggy Pop is an Icon is the fact that he is a lunatic!!!! The man knows nothing about music! He’s a TV critic not a music critic.

• Tarc says:

Eh, Jason’s just like that. I don’t approve, but hey, it’s a blog. You go into it knowing that seven of ten people aren’t worth the time of day.

• Bobbi says:

Jessica still as a year. ;)

• Jason says:

Actually I just looked it up KAty had a record deal for a Christian LAbel at 15. Then got a deal with Island records and worked with Glen Ballard at 17. SHe paid her dues and had three failed deals before hitting big!!! She paid her dues!!!

26. leticia r. llanto says:

jessica sanchez desrve to win. hopelly all filipinos stay in USA will vote for jessica.

• Bobbi says:

Doubt you’re even Filipino. Because most Filipinos I know realize they are not a big majority in the US and have widely differing tastes. Please don’t bring that youtube trolling into these boards. You’re not doing Jessica any favors but you already knew that. Thank you.

27. Linda says:

I’m a middle aged white woman. I ADORED Crystal in Season 9 and voted my fingers off for Haley last year. At the beginning, I voted some for Elise, but her sour attitude combined with the way she slurred her words, making them difficult to understand, caused me to abandon her ship. Now, I’m 100% for Skylar. I adore Skylar’s spunk, fearlessness, genuine joy when singing and the fact that, not only is she a fabulous singer on pitch, but she doesn’t seem to take herself too seriously. Elise’s whining about the judges being unfair to her, when she got the pimp slot THREE times in 7 weeks and they’d been nailing Hollie each week, totally turned me off. Frankly, I’m extremely relieved that I don’t have to listen to her slurred singing or watch her left hand move around like she’s SO cool anymore. I’m SOOO glad she’s gone.

• FreeHaley says:

She didn’t whine she WAS ASKED about it and had to say something.

• Shel says:

Agreed. Though I have to question why Ryan chose to ask HER that question, alone. Did he see it too? Did he know Elise well enough to know he was going to get some honesty without the experience to phrase it a bit better? I can’t decide if he set her up or not – it just made me mad. Even being the oldest in the group, she is still a young woman with no experience dealing with this machine called Idol. I don’t think Ryan should ask any of them that kind of leading question, where he knows their lack of experience may just lead them to say something that backfires on them.

• FreeHaley says:

It was a bit odd, I THINK he meant well, since she said she loves him and they have a bond, but I think he repeatedly badly calculated how the miss congeniality, middle america type voter sees things and will so quickly take a spiteful view of any little thing. Not sure. I almost felt he gave her elim away at the start since he sounded kinda glum when he said something about well that is just how it has to go sometimes what can you do when you was about to send her to the stools, something like that. Who knows. I tend to think that he actually never meant to hurt her any.

Maybe Nigel fed him those things and played em all? WHo knows.

Honestly she didn’t say anything bad, but so many of the AI voters are the type to turn on anyone for any hint of anything, very preachy, jealous, judgmental.

28. Lisa says:

I can’t believe Skylar was in the bottom three! She is the only contestant left who could truly have a great career! Everyone else will go the way of Rubin, Lee, Fantasia, Taylor etc. Why do people vote so badly? And why does Idol allow it when it only undermines their credibility?

• Layla says:

Not saying Skylar won’t, but you wanna bet Jessica gets a career after this? You’re overestimating country’s appeal around the world. Jessica trends worldwide on twitter on every performance and the genre of music she excels at has one of the largest fanbases. Remember, she will only get better. The world ratings on Idol this year must be pretty high.

29. Tahoe Mike says:

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
    ~ H. L. Mencken

30. Lisa says:

I find it irritating when you talk about how this final six are so good,Colton should have been final six at the very least,if not for the stupid save. Funny how people assume Colton’s votes would go to Phillip,mine have gone to Holly. Phillip is good looking but he just doesnt make me feel anything.I loved Holly this week.

• Mel says:

My Colton votes have gone to no one, and I’m no longer watching because it makes me too sad that he’s not there. (I am, however, reading Slezak because he’s awesome even when I disagree with him). And yes, I’m upset about “the final six” comments too, because Colton definitely deserves to be in that group. Mind you, I’m not knocking the talent of the remaining contestants, but Colton deserves to be recognized among them. I know I need to get over this but I’m having a hard time. If there’s a support group for Colton fans out there, I’m all in.

• Sandi says:

Don’t be too hard on Slezak. I’m pretty sure he said last week that it wasn’t Colton’s time to go and then argued with Melinda as to who should have gone in his place.

For me, I would still rank Colton above any of them except maybe for Jessica. But I preferred Colton’s performances more than hers. She’s my new favorite, though.

• Joy says:

Hey, he talked about how it was a great final seven, too, and I’m sure that even though he’s not pleased about Elise’s departure, he’ll be saying it’s a great final five, too. That’s the whole point he’s been making — this field wound up being strong enough that even when we lose a great singer, those that remain are still an awesome group. I’m not sure I personally feel that as strongly as Michael does, but I do think he’s been very consistent in that point of view, and so I don’t think you can take it as an insult to anyone who’s already departed.

31. sajinokami says:

Well wow.. the person I liked this season, without watching, went home. If the rest of the females are picked off and P2 wins… I might actually believe the WGWG conspiracy theory. On a positive note, they play Haley on the idi station in my area. Currently only other idol’s getting play in the area, on the pop stations: Kelly and Carrie. So bravo to Haley!

32. Emma says:

I just have to LOL at the comments saying P2 should go because he sounds the same every week. Um, did ya watch last years show? LOL

33. Shel says:

Completely heart-broken about Elise going home tonight. Loved both her performances last night and while I admit to being a bit worried, as Steven was for her, that she picked a song most wouldn’t know, I also believed that she had totally nailed it, as JLo said. So, so, so sad, that an artist like Elise, after making a song COMPLETELY new and her own, ends up getting slammed by Randy for it and losing out to a little girl who finally had her own true Idol moment by singing a song she has been singing for at least two years.

34. joseph says:

At this point., it’ll be dissapointing whoever goes home because all of them are extremely talented and deserving to be the next AI but someone must go home every week and that’s how the show goes so there’s no point of arguing who should or not leave and bashing the contestant you don’t like., instead support the one you like and keep voting for him or her… as for myself., I’m voting for JESSICA SANCHEZ all the way to the finale simply because i like her the most and i believe in her talent..

35. darcy's evil twin says:

This program makes me completely crazy! I guess we all knew Elise wasn’t long for this program. Is it my imagination or did Jennifer appear upset about Elise leaving?
    First, Mr. Slezak, I love you but the Queen Experience was pretty darned good IMO, but they needed flames shooting out of the stage.
    Second, I was so disappointed in Stephano. I was remembering his soaring tenor on “Lately” from last season, so how did the TPTB manage to turn him into a Jason Derulo soundalike? Stephano didn’t sound bad, he just sounded like so much of the other crap on current radio. Honestly, it was like “Stepford Stephano”.
    Third, I do not know WHAT people are using for criteria when they vote. As they say in Germany, Elise, “auf viedersehen” (until we meet again), and promise me you won’t let them do to you what they did to Stephano. What a sing-out! Just wish we could have seen the whole thing.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah JLo actually did seem a little bit upset, some of her old self from the first couple weeks of last season seemed to seep back into her this week.

But yeah sadly Elise/Haley/etc. type are just not long for Idol and each year it’ll be ever less a chance. Between that and the judging that drives me mad and whatever or not Nigel seems to do at times I think this time I am done for good. I went down to skipping the first half this season. Next season won’t bother unless they make clear changes (like maybe replacing Randy at the absolute, absolute least, apparently the guy was going around this week naming everyone but hollie and elise as deserving to win again or some such garbage).

• Marie says:

Even though JLo is biased (as I am) it is always sad to see one of them go. I am really trying to endure Idol because of Jessica. I hope I can stay 5 more weeks.

• Parker says:

@DET First don’t blame the program for your mental state. LOL Second it’s The Queen Extravaganza not Experience. The Lead singer sounds like Freddie and mimics some of his gestures but looks more like he belongs in a southern rock band.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Fair enough re: my mental state. HA! I stand corrected on The Queen Extravaganza, but even if the lead singer looked like Charlie Manson it’s still better than sitting through Katy Perry.
        And I think I spelled Stefano’s name wrong – someone corrected me on that once before. (Stefano with an “f”).
        One other thing – re: Casey Abrams. When they first showed him sitting there with Ryan I swear I thought it was Rob Reiner and I wondered, what the heck is HE doing there? Good grief.

36. Bonnie A. says:

Sigh. The contestant I anticipated listening to each week is voted off. I did a lot of voting for Elise this week. Now I understand how the Colton fans felt last week.

I thought Phillip didn’t look well tonight–needed to lean against something, etc. And he wasn’t in the FORD commercial either.

37. FreeHaley says:

Anyway once again I just gotta say way to go Elise!! What an exit!!! Way to leave everyone desperate for more. THAT is the very definition of how to go and the very definition of taking control of the stage and the audience and just ruling it and rocking it. Wow! Thanks for the great run!

38. A says:

I wish Elise would’ve only sung Led Zeppelin lol. I think she sang too many ballads.

39. Ash Q says:

Can we stop with all this ‘a girls not gunna win because theyre a girl’ kinda talk. Maybe a girl will win, maybe a guy will win. But I mean, in the top 6, there are two guys left and four girls. Doesnt that say something?

And Im sad about Elise, she was in my top 3. But I get it, personality matters more than it really should. I remember in season 7, my dad wrote David Cook off earlier in the season because he was ‘cocky’ and held it against him for the entire season. It happens.

• Static says:

The thing is, I don’t think Elise had an attitude. She went out there, honestly stated her opinions and got judged for it. I think Idol’s voting demographic perceived her honesty as cockiness, and that’s the one thing I regret about Season 11. Would she have gotten further if she acted like a mindless puppet and just did what the producers told her to do? Masked all her feelings with a pasted smile and nodded to every single ridiculous critique the judges threw at her? If the answer is yes, what a sad state AI–and the entire music industry for that matter–is now.

• Mel says:

But David Cook actually won.

40. Leila says:

I ask this every week since DeAndre was kicked off. How is Skylar STILL there?!

41. AJ says:

The saddest part about Stefano’s atrocity of a “song” is that it stands a very good shot at becoming a hit while a gem like Haley’s “Free” (and dozens of other great forgotten Idol alumni singles) languish in obscurity. What a sad state the music climate is in.

42. Jason says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t get the WGWG thing? You should just say white guy! Most musicians play guitar! All the winners were pretty different! And Scotty barely played guitar on the show so that one is a bit of a stretch!!

43. Static says:

Honestly, while I was a total lunatic for Elise, I’m happy for the other five. I don’t particularly dislike any of them, and I’d be happy no matter who wins. They’re all talented in their own right. Now that Elise is gone I’m bound to change my favorites week-to-week, but I think I’m now firmly in Jessica’s camp after Dance With My Father, which I felt wasn’t credited enough by Slezak.

44. Jeff says:

The first round of songs never seems to matter! Elise and Skylar had the two best loved Queen performances; however, their second round songs failed to connect. Both landed in the bottom 3. Elise’s “I Want it All” rocked so hard that she should not have been eliminated, but the first round just doesn’t count.

This reminds me so much of when Haley killed the Zeppelin song, kicked butt on the Mac song, and kind of stunk on the Alanis song she was forced to sing and for which the production spared every expense. She was eliminated because of the last clunker. If the song order had been reversed, she would have been in the final. If you want to find Idol conspiracy theories, song order seems to be as important as the pimp slot for creating certain “desirable” outcomes.

45. Yo' says:

Dear Elise:

I love you and am profoundly sad that you will not again be on Idol. As you go forth into the world and scale the heights of success, I have one tiny piece of advice (Your welcome):

Never ever wear wedges on your feet when singing a rock song; it’s like a steel worker wearing Pappagallo flats.

It undercuts your message.

• Mel says:

Spot on, Yo’! Love it! You should have Tommy Hilfiger’s job.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Agreed. I wasn’t always crazy about her wardrobe choices. loved the blingy bell-bottoms she wore on Leno Friday night (she and Steven Tyler both wore them one night on Idol!).

46. Loved Elise!! At least the rest of her song (unfortunately still skipped the “down on her knees” part. http://www.americanidol.com/videos/season_11/still_rolling/still_rolling_elise_testone/

• FreeHaley says:

Wow, just tragic she goes home. How can you send that home?!??? How America? How?
      And it’s interesting to see how Randy sounded so much more up on her and her future than he did on the judge’s stand or when he talked on talk shows. Is that because he was free to speak his mind there without Nigel over him? Anyway too bad he didn’t say a little more of that on his talk show rounds and on Idol when it might’ve helped. Oh well.

47. Li-Li says:

I have been watching intermittently this year, and leaving the room when the judges start talking for the most part. But I listened enough to know they still have nothing constructive to offer, but still may have power to sway votes, which is sickening. While I thought Elise had the most unique style and pipes just as powerful as any of the other contestants, she just didn’t seem like her heart was in it the last few weeks. Who knows – maybe the producers warned her about choosing songs that weren’t recognizable to the masses, and she felt like she was doomed. Seems like there is no room in this competition for anyone unique. Gone are the days when people like Adam Lambert, David Cook, and Kris Allen took a song and made it their own – not just scream the heck out of it. (there are more that were clever with song arrangements – those are the first that came to mind) I do think all of the top 6 vocalists are excellent – I just don’t find any of them particularly interesting. There’s no curiosity to see what they will sing – it’s all very predictable.

• Mel says:

Thank you for saying this! The final six are without question very talented, but I’m not excited to see what they’ll do every week (with the possible exception of Elise). I WAS, however, excited to see what Colton would do every week! He kept things interesting and unique. He is so David Cook-esque in that regard, and he really didn’t get the recognition he deserved for it. In my opinion, that’s because this season is all about, as you put it, “screaming the heck out of it.” I’m so sorry Colton is gone. And where is his interview with Michael??

• Li-Li says:

While I wasn’t blown away by Colton, now that you mention it, he DID always try to do something unique and at least made the competition more interesting in that way. He seemed confident in his choices, too, which is refreshing. Instead of having to watch singers like Hollie and Jessica – excellent singers both – look so terrified of the judges after they perform, as if the judges will have anything valuable to offer. It’s so ridiculous. Aren’t there any musical coaches with the show that can help them learn how to do something unique with these songs? Throwing a bari sax player and a violinist on the stage with them does not make the arrangement unique. (especially when you can barely hear the instruments) They certainly have the vocal capability – but maybe it’s just not safe enough for this type of competition – or there isn’t enough time to rehearse anything other than a safe, predictable, LOUD version.

48. Sean says:

Elise had run her course and it was going to be either her or Hollie tonight, and hopefully the other next week. That leaves Jessica, Joshua, Skylar, and Phillip; talk about a clash of styles! Honestly, I think this is the best possible final four (you could have switch Phillip with Colton) because this will come down to style and preference of music of the voters. I see Jessica/Joshua vs Phillip/Skylar in the final which would leave a total polarizing vote. Imagine:
    Jessica vs Skylar – all female finale with two opposite styles
    Jessica vs Phillip – you can’t get any more different than that
    Joshua vs Phillip – all male finale with two opposite styles
    Joshua vs Skylar – this would be a close one
    At the end of the day, any of the four above could win it all and no one could really be upset (unless it is Phillip because I think he is a one trick pony).

49. Lisak says:

I look forward to the chance to buy something from Elise … she’s original and very talented … Philip is cute but has about a 4 note range – i don’t get the “musicicality” fawning at all. Joshua was fabulous this week … Holly would do very well in a high school musical – don’t see anything original and other than that she’s a cute blond I don’t get why she’s still here.

Sylar is fabulous and being realistic I think is the one with the most chance at a big career because tho jessica’s voice is great she doesn’t bring anyy emotional reality to anything she sings.

50. Tiff says:

Man. All I wanted was for Phil to be in the bottom three. I just wanted a level playing field. And instead, Skylar, who had two much more brilliant performances, gets sent there?!

And Slezak, please tell me that you didn’t also laugh when Stefano went down to the judges’ table, took J.Lo’s hand, and totally ignored Randy’s outstretched one for the better part of the song. Best moment of the night for me.