Exclusive First Look: Aunt Jenna Makes Her Return to Vampire Diaries

Elena could probably use some adult guidance these days on The Vampire Diaries, so what better time for a visit from Aunt Jenna? We’ve got your exclusive first look at the fan favorite’s return in the Season 3 finale (airing May 10 at 9/8c on The CW.)

But if you recall, Elena’s former guardian is dead — RIP — so her portrayer Sara Canning will appear in flashbacks as “Elena, going through a particularly rough time, reflects back on a [period] in her life when things were much more simple,” describes executive producer Julie Plec. That means we’ll also see the young Gilbert bonding with her mom, Miranda (guest star Erin Beute, center), in the episode.

Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 52 Big Finishes — Including Vampire Diaries!

Check out the preview below and then hit the comments with your thoughts on the family reunion.

Vampire Diaries Sara Canning

Comments (37)

• I knew we hadn’t seen the last of Jenna. Love that she is coming back, even if it is just flashbacks!

Comment by Z. – April 25, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BLAH BLAH BLAH..I wish someone would pour gasoline on all of them and light a match.

Comment by Aaron – April 25, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show is deeply disappointing, a last minute flashback of characters that shouldn’thave been killed isn’t going to change that

Comment by TV fan – April 25, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess I never understand when people complain about stand storytelling techniques.

Comment by Tarc – April 26, 2012 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • if it is so disappointing.. why are you reading the spoilers of the same show you’re complaining about??

Comment by Snuggies – April 29, 2012 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Can we please remember that Jenna is just a side character and though much loved, isn’t a core part of the show…

Comment by Carolyn – April 29, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And one more thing… I can’t imagine they’d be flashing back without a reason. There’s a reason that will relate to the rest of the show…. that’s why we’re going back.

Comment by Carolyn – April 29, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s no need to be rude! It’s just a tv show. If you don’t like it, then don’t watch it and don’t comment on it!

Comment by Carolyn – April 26, 2012 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow

Comment by nathali_berrios (@nathaliberrios) – April 25, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they’re bring back Jenna in a flashback and not as some ghost for the sake of ships. I was really disappointed that they brought back Rose just so she could pimp Delena and lightly diss Stelena, especially since Rose didn’t know a thing about Stefan and Elena’s relationship. That whole moment was so contrived. If they can bring back Jenna in a way that actually makes sense and contribute to Elena as a singular character (and not Elena-in-a-relationship) and her journey, then bring it on.

Comment by A – April 25, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The moment was odd, but not completely out of the blue. Rose did know that Damon liked Elena, and since she liked Damon, it’s natural to want him to be happy.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – April 25, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. Damon made Rose’s last day on earth beautiful. I think she’d be on his side. I didn’t see it as some kind of stunt, it was important to the story. She sired Katherine who sired the Salvatores. They need to find out which Original bloodline they belong to. How else are they going to get there?

Comment by Ari – April 25, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not true. Rose was alive when Stefan and Elena were together and was around them and then watched over both couples and all 3 people after her death early season 2. She made her statements because she sees what everyone can’t. She liked Stefan too, it wasn’t a diss, but it was about a character in the show finally addressing the good of DE.

Comment by Kristen – April 25, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But it was contrived. One Tree Hill use to do the same thing to sway Brooke/Lucas fans to Peyton/Lucas by having Brooke say things like “you guys are meant to be together, that’s the way it’s suppose ot be.” It doesn’t feel natural, it feels like we’re being told how to feel and if a couple is truly epic, they shouldn’t need the writers telling the audience they’re epic.

Comment by dude – April 25, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally agree on that comment. Smallville has done the same thing with Clark/Lois.

Comment by LLL – April 25, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, Rose sees what everyone else can’t. On last night episode Caroline told Elena that Stefan is her “epic love” and they are “meant to be”. The difference between Rose and Caroline’s statements are that Rose sees the good and bad in each Stefan and Damon and Caroline only sees the good in Stefan and bad in Damon. All the characters in the show don’t even try to see the good in Damon. Only Elena does and even though she gets mad at him at times she ultimately sees the real Damon and that is what I love about Damon and Elena.

I do believe Elena will choose Stefan though, all the signs are there. Its very disappointing that Delena won’t even get a chance.

Comment by Nicole – April 27, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It seems to be that shipping one couple is pretty deleterious to enjoying the show, and its’ pretty goofy. Personally, I couldn’t care less who Elena is sleeping with (or googling eyes at); they’re all just characters to play with in executing the storyline. If I had to vote, I’d make Elena a vampire, and carry on long term with both brothers (simultaneously). Of course, that would cut into the drama…

Comment by Tarc – April 26, 2012 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to see Jenna back, she was one of my faves, I was so shocked when they killed her off! Sara Canning was grossly underused on the show!

Comment by katy917 – April 25, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is it me or is elena dress more sexier here and she can cook

Comment by dan (@rocketmen77) – April 25, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to this!

Comment by sarah – April 25, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like that we get to see Jenna again, but I’m not sure I’m a fan of the whole “flashback to simpler times” plot device. It seems like something that’s more fun for the writers and cast than it will be for us. Hopefully they’ll prove me wrong.

Comment by wordsmith – April 25, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait they remember Jenna? I thought with all Klaus love the show tries to force that they’d try to make people forget about the main character he killed.

Comment by Josh – April 25, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I feel like they are trying to save Klaus, but he killed Aunt Jenna. :( I’m so glad that they are bringing her back though.

Comment by Garnet_and_Gold47 – April 25, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She wasn’t exactly a main character Josh. More a secondary character, like the Major and Sherrif. She always hung about on the fringes [most of the time]. And the show isn’t about Jenna, it’s about the 3 leads, Damon, Stefan and Elena.

Comment by Carolyn – April 29, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jenna! We love/miss you!!! Best wishes Sarah!

Comment by David – April 25, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Jenna more than any other character that we’ve lost in 3 seasons…glad we’re seeing her again at all.

Comment by shan – April 25, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to see Aunt Jenna back, still miss her… :(

Comment by Kristen – April 25, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be glad to see Jenna back, but not as one of the Undead. Since the nfirst episode I have wanted to see Damon and Elena together. I like Stefan but you can see the chemistry between D&E. Hopefully Jenna can help Elena see that even if it only lasts a short time.

Comment by Jennifer Cochran – April 25, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally elated that Aunt Jenna is coming back. I hope they find a way for Sara Canning to come back to the show. :D Can’t wait to see this episode. :D

Comment by Vannesa – April 26, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOOOVVE JENNA!!! <3

Comment by Klaroline – April 26, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok the person commenting about the gasoline is insane! love the show no matter what happens, its good writing, shippers are weird! Love flashbacks, it shows us the story of why things are the way they are today! And agree with “..if you dont like it, dont watch it”!

Comment by Amanda – April 26, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aunt Jenna was a “fan favourite”? In what universe have I been living? Everyone I know who loves the show was more than excited to see her go, self included. I don’t mind the flashback, but if there’s one thing I love about TVD, it’s its ability to find ways to make boring characters interesting (e.g. Jeremy) or, if that’s not possible, get rid of them instead of allowing them to drag the show down (e.g. Jenna).

Comment by Noel – April 26, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grace a dieu one of the elderly & sexy character is back .But it is to mysterious…

Comment by Masood quraishi – May 1, 2012 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GRACE A DIEU an elderly & sexy character is back. But its too mysterious…

Comment by Masood quraishi – May 1, 2012 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Masood… “elderly” really? Jenna is probably only in her late 20′s/maybe early 30′s if that. Elderly is a term used for those in their 70′s+ *grins*

Comment by Carolyn – May 1, 2012 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post