Idol Leaderboard: Who Is Your Favorite from the Top 6? (Take Our Poll!)

The American Idol Season 11 Top 6 hit the stage tonight with two numbers — one from the Queen songbook, another filed under “contestant’s choice — and I’d argue it’s the most evenly matched half-dozen vocalists in Idol history.

Yet while that means each week’s performances count more than ever in determining who stays and who goes home — the vocalist I ranked at No. 1 last week just got eliminated, for Pete’s sake! — it’s still fun to look in at who’s got momentum heading into the live show, and who’s already shopping for a lifejacket to wear for a special editing of Thursday Night Plank-Walking with Ryan Seacrest.

Check out my contestant rankings below, then take our poll and vote for your own favorite!

American Idol: 10 Dream Theme Nights!

6. Hollie Cavanagh (Last Week No. 7) | Landed in the Bottom 2 last week despite the fact that “Rolling in the Deep” marked her best-ever performance. One of the judges’ favorite punching bags is definitely stepping up her game, but is it a case of too little, too late? Definitely needs more careful song selection if she wants a Top 5 finish.

5. Elise Testone (Last Week No. 6) | Awesome one-two punch of “Vienna” and “Whole Lotta Love” seems like a distant memory in the wake of a strained “I Want to Know What Love Is” and awkward “Let’s Get It On.” Not entirely unjustified complaints about judges’ tough critiques might have played better had her vocals been spot on in both performances last week, but “No One” was nevertheless a pretty fabulous vocal. That said, Elise seems to have fared better — artistically and with voters — when she’s leaned toward rock/soul moreso than pop/R&B. (A good harbinger for Queen week?)

Idology: Heejun Han on Asian Clichés, Cowboy Drama, Hilfiger-Gate and His One Idol Regret

4. Jessica Sanchez (Last Week No. 3) | The Judges’ Save certainly gave her some added exposure and momentum, and put her fan base on high alert. Plus she’s hit so few bum notes this season that even Randy Jackson would be able to keep count. Yet while “Fallin'” was perhaps her personal best since Top 13 night, J.Lo has a point that Jessica needs to become a more dynamic stage performer — and avoid any missteps in song selection (i.e. “Try a Little Tenderness,” “Turn the Beat Around”) — if she wants to pull a Jordin Sparks and have her “This Is My Now” moment.

3. Joshua Ledet (Last Week No. 4) | “Runaway Baby” may have landed him in the Bottom 3 two weeks back, but it proved he can handle contemporary uptempo material with style and sex appeal to spare. Hopefully, that brush with elimination didn’t scare him into spending the rest of the season solely on soulful ballads backed by Gospel choirs, as “I Believe” and “A Change Is Gonna Come” were a little samey-samey. Perhaps a stripped down, intimate performance — think Fantasia’s “Summertime,” or Bo Bice’s “In a Dream” — would solidify his position as the season heads toward hometown visits?

2. Phillip Phillips (Last Week No. 5) | Only contestant this season to never land in the Bottom 3 — not that it did Colton Dixon much good — and he’s been very consistent at delivering growly, guitar-driven twists on a variety of artists’ tunes. Would be nice to see Phillip stretch his range a little — maybe something sparse and deeply romantic, or upbeat and bursting with good vibrations — but then the question becomes: Is it smarter strategy to remain rigidly in one’s wheelhouse and play to one’s base, or does an Idol winner need to spread his wings and make certain his fan base doesn’t get bored or apathetic?

1. Skylar Laine (Last Week No. 2) | Country has become a key component of the Idol landscape, and not even prior winners Carrie Underwood or Scotty McCreery could’ve matched this Mississippi firecracker’s stage presence and/or party-startin’ skills during their respective Season 4 and Season 10 runs. Skylar needs to be extra careful about maintaining vocal control — “Heard It Through the Grapevine” was right on the edge of disaster — but she’s wisely mixed up tempo and lyrical content over the last nine weeks without ever losing her sense of authenticity.

Who is your Season 11 favorite? Vote in the poll below, then explain your picks in the comments!

1. noa says:

i hope next weeks list looks very different. not only because i want Elise higher, but because i’m loving the unpredictability this season. you know, like how the person in the no.1 spot last week was voted out the day after? it’s just compelling television. i still can’t get over the fact that idology isn’t behind Elise (except for Jason). this is the first time we haven’t agreed Slezak.

2. fullyCOOKed says:

The poll is looking very good for my wgwg since my wgwp got sent home last week. Please say no to another country idol.

3. Jason says:

Wow. THis doesn’t look good for Joshua – the most consistent and believable artist all season!!!

4. Princess Adora says:

I love Phillip, but I think it would be bad for the show if he won. Too repetitive in the wgwg winners. I hope he makes it to the top 3. I’d like 2 girls to be in the final 2. Skylar and another girl – I really don’t care who. This season is so evenly matched it’s hard to choose a consistent favorite.

• Nikki says:

I think the people with highest amount of votes should be in the final…whether it’s a guy or girl.

• sneakin says:

Can you please explain the Phillip love to me? I liked him the first time I heard him, now I find his yelling through songs and Dave Matthews-body movements irritating.

• Princess Adora says:

Hmm…explain the Phillip love? Well I’ve never actually listened to Dave Matthews, so that might help lol I’ve read that he had a very painful stent put in for the kidney stones, so I’m pretty impressed that he’s literally still standing. And more importantly, I just really like his shouty voice, awkward movements/facial expressions and what he does with the songs he performs. It’s obvious that he has a lot of love and passion for music when he sings.

I didn’t say he’s my favorite however. I keep voting for Skylar, so she must be my fav (and I don’t even like country!), she’s just an amazing performer and has a great voice.

Like I said, it’s too hard to choose a fav this season, they are all pretty fantastic!

5. april says:

Elise and Holly for the win! Philip in the top 3.

6. MamaLis says:

Where is the Colton interview, btw???

7. Sara says:

There is absolutely no way to predict how this will turn out, like Michael said it’s probably the most evenly-matched top 6 we’ve seen. I loved Hollie last week but her sudden rise to kick-ass-dom may have come too little too late for her – and I fear that if she does manage to keep up her momentum from last week it may be at the expense of her BFF Joshua (heaven forbid!).
    Also, from an international standpoint (I speak to you from Scandinavia) I kinda hope Skylar doesn’t win – if only because country music is impossible to promote outside the US. Scotty McCreery’s album isn’t even available on iTunes anywhere in Europe. The show is called American Idol and the American people rightly decide, and obviously Scotty’s done very well for himself in America, but the show has a lot of international fans like me who’d like to see a winner that can cross the continents the way Kelly Clarkson, Chris Daughtry and Adam Lambert have done. I love Skylar’s personality but I’d like to see someone with a little more international appeal to get the confetti shower in the end.

• IdolFan says:

You are absolutely right Sara. Country music rarely makes it internationally (but there is some recognition just not enough to warrant a tour).

• rd1991 says:

Just in response to country not being international. I’m from England and I love country music and there is an increasing interest in it over here. For example Carrie Underwood is set to play her first date here in the summer and Lady Antebellum are coming back for their 2nd tour (which I have tickets for, very excited!). I think the problem is people have a perception of what country is, only relate able if you come from America and in particular the south, whereas a lot of modern day country isn’t so boxed in. So saying all that I hope Skylar does win as it will only increase the interest in an overlooked genre of music in Europe! Also loving this season all the singers are exceptionally good!

• JC says:

Me too I think out of the top 6 Hollie, Elise and Jessica has international appeal. Jessica already has a big following in the Philippines while Hollie is british who doesn’t love Adele? and Elise can be like the girl who sang bubbly like a singer/songwriter type :)

8. gary says:

Elise is a sneaky top three in your poll. Just like the silent minority keeping her from getting eliminated or even the bottom two last week. Disagreeing with Slestack. Yea for Jason!

• noa says:

@gary- another pro-Elise thread today? i’m all for it!

• april says:

Go for it. I’m in!

• noa says:

i’m just getting excited for the show… everyone’s talking about the Queen part of the evening, but i’m really curious to see what she does for the “any song” part. don’t get me wrong- i love queen, and i’m confident she can do well with that, but i read that they got a really short list and that they all wanted the same song (hopefully it’s NOT somebody to love), so there might be trouble there. with the other song- she could be doing something great. can it start already please??
          oh- was has no one ever sung “Save Me”? that’s a great powerful Queen song for Idol. maybe i’m forgetting and someone has chosen it before.

• FreeHaley says:

how could there not be?!?

Elise!

• laurirose says:

Add me to #TheElites – seriously pro-Elise..

the “judges” and almost everyone else don’t get her..
      Getting ready to do a 2-hour straight voting marathon for her tonite

(even tho I also really appreciate Joshua, I’m going nonstop for the brilliant Ms. Testone…)

Mr. Slezak, a quick question for you & others:

else besides me wonder why P2 – Phillip has not yet done a Ray LaMontagne tune? I’ve expected him to do that every week…

He could win me over big time (and probably get me to buy it on iTunes) if he did any RL song…

9. Sam says:

WHY?! Why is Philip the favorite of the poll? What about him inspires his fans, the growling, the sameness? I think I finally understand America.

10. Name That Tune says:

“Would be nice to see Phillip stretch his range a little — maybe something sparse and deeply romantic, or upbeat and bursting with good vibrations”

Oh, I think that P2 can’t pull that sort of thing off. He’s not Bo Dice and it would only remind us of his limitations. If he did it, it would B3 and possibly goodbye for him. I’d love to see him take the risk, ‘cuz I’m ready to say goodbye to this cat.

• Tarc says:

We heard his chest voice the other day – he could absolutely do something sparse and deeply romantic. I’m sure he could also do something very upbeat – but the song list is short. Remember all these kids have a lot of limitations on their material (and it’s not terribly fair – the countyr folks are hightly supportive, but other types of music are not necessarily).

• zaza says:

Phil actually has a nice soft tone and could do a good job with a tender song, as long as he didn’t shout at the end. He has a lot of passion for music, but it would be nice if he pulled back once in awhile.

11. MA says:

I read on Twitter that Phillip is sick and in a lot of pain today. #1) Feel better, Phillip! And hang in there! #2) It’ll be interesting to see if the judges try to make him cry about it…him being the only true artist on the show and all.
    Have to say, I think Elise is the shiz, but I dig Skylar too. She’s just so fun!

12. david7118 says:

I do not get the love for Philip. A guy that moves like Joe Cocker, tries to imitate John Mayer with his weird facial expressions, and has the charisma of RedFoo of LMFAO (none) is not who I see winning. At least I hope not!

13. J says:

I have so many favorites this year. All these contestants are winners in my book. I really wanted a Colton, Skylar, Hollie, and Joshua final four, but last week ruined that for me.

I guess the one that’s been up there is Skylar. Girl is so mega confident and spunky. She has a great voice.

I hope Phillip feels better. The poor guy seems to be in a lot of pain. I can’t imagine.

14. Static says:

Queen is right up Elise’s alley. I’m 99% sure she’ll do well, if not completely blowing us away. Given the fact that she was probably the only one who was alive during the ’80s and the rather poor performance she gave that week, though, I’m forced to allocate the other 1% to another I Wanna Know What Love Is performance. :/

Obviously, my favorite is Elise. If it were up to me, top 3 would be Elise, Joshua and Skylar, with Jessica a very very close fourth. I used to adore Phillip after he did Movin’ Out, but now I’m kinda sorta over his growly, gritty voice. I thought You Got It Bad was amazing, and if he does more of that kind of songs I’m sure he’s a mortal lock for the finale, if not the winner altogether. Though he’s kind of already there anyways. With back-to-back Jessica and Colton eliminations (or pseudo-elimination, in the former’s case), I think he’s in some danger anyways if the voters get too comfortable.

I loved Hollie after Rolling in the Deep, but I agree with you, Michael; I’d make her walk the plank next. I love her Celine Dion-esque voice, but she’s just too inconsistent. Flashes of brilliance here and there (Reflection, RITD, All the Man That I Need) but it was still dotted by lackluster ones (Son of a Preacher Man, Perfect (or, as Idology reiterated, “Pah-Fec”, Honesty). Before I replayed most of her performances on Youtube I was ready to jump aboard her bandwagon should Elise leave; however, this doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. :/

• zaza says:

Lol, Elise may have been alive in the 80’s but she would have been a small child…probably listening to Seseme Street more than Queen! However, she does seem to be (musically) an old soul, so she probably will do well with Queen. At least, I hope so.

15. Chris says:

I pick Jessica, Elise, and Joshua for the top three. I like Hollie, Phillip and Skylar (I’ve liked all of Season 11) but would be overjoyed to see someone from my top three win.

Tonight will be either extremely fun to hear or a bad cover waiting to happen (Queen songs). The ‘one other song’ will probably be the save of some of them. I hope they do the Queen covers first. I am looking forward to the show tonight either way!

• Lunakit says:

^THIS!^ great top 3…

• Suggestor says:

Jessica and Joshua are both very nervous about the Queen theme as stated in their AI interviews. They only had 13 songs to pick from and Hollie (as well as Elise) have said they’ll all end up going for that ONE song. Plus, that telephone book singing Randy keeps talking about is bogus, he discounts why people buy music and why it’s rare to have every song on a album become a mega hit. If this was true then ANY Queen song would be fine with the Idols. Certainly was not the fault of Freddie Mercury’s vocals.

• Jason says:

WOnder which song everyone fought for. Figure Holly or Jessica will do Show Must Go On(Most likely Jessica) Elise will probably do Bohemian Rhapsody, Joshua will get stuck with Somebody To Love, Philip will do a werird song choice no one’s ever heard of and Skylar will country up Crazy Little Thing Called Love. That will leave Holly with We Are The Champions.

16. wtalexander says:

Am I the only one who hasn’t jumped on the Philip bandwagon. I really don’t get the hype.

• Leila says:

He seems to be very polarizing. I don’t get him either.

• Suggestor says:

I don’t not like him, just not a commanding presence on stage. He’s interesting in a quirky way but I think his interviews are funny. The recent one concerning Katy Perry’s appearance is P2 at his best. As long as he doesn’t tire out the marginal voters he won’t be in trouble.

• Name That Tune says:

Of all the recent WGWGs who’ve made it to the finals, only Lee DeWyze was worse. You can make a case for Kris Allen, David Cook and Scotty Mc as being the best in their seasons, but P2 is 4th on my list this year.

• karenb says:

Isn’t it great that we all have our own opinions? The world would be crazy boring if we all had the same taste. I, for one, have jumped on the Phillip bandwagon. I think he’s great, and I have only purchased his songs on iTunes.

Phil Phil for the Win Win. lol

• Marsaili says:

I think being 4th on your list is still pretty darn good! ;-)

• Jb says:

4th is way too high. The guy is dreadful.

17. Bonnie A. says:

“that even Randy Jackson would be able to keep count. ” LOL!

18. Holly says:

I sat and stared at the poll for a long time before finally clicking an option. I really do not have a favorite this year. It seems that evenly matched makes for wishy-washy voters. There are favorite performances, but not really a favorite artist. (Look Randy, I used artist when referring to all of them!) Today, I picked one, but tomorrow, it may be another. I have to say this is the first time that has happened to me in Idol history.

• Marsaili says:

I had a hard time picking because I like Elise, Joshua, Skylar and Phillip all the same, I can’t really pick ONE.

19. Scott says:

The person who sings “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” will go home. My ears still bleed from Tim Urban’s performance. Love of My Life would be a great song for Elise to sing.

20. Baby C says:

Phillip Phillips 27.56%??? What is the world coming to? I assumed people on here would be more discerning.

• noa says:

i’m afraid he’s getting Colton’s votes.

• IdolFan says:

The herd is coming over to vote.

• Name That Tune says:

Well, where are all those White Teenage Girls gonna fling their text votes at without Colton?

• TopCat says:

Fortunately, this poll is “non-scientific” and is not powered enough to mean squat. To think Josh is at the bottom is proposterous given he’s by far the most well rounded of all the contestants. Take this poll with a grain of salt as it’s isn’t indicative of greater America.

21. Is there any truth in the story that chicks vote, guys don’t? That would be the reason why white guitar-playing hearthrobs have won these past few seasons. No, Lee DeWyze doesn’t count.

• IdolFan says:

I would say yes. If your general male music fan watches I doubt he votes and his girlfriend might.

• Name That Tune says:

Among my acquaintances, most men don’t even WATCH idol, but a lot of females do. Hard to vote, if you don’t watch.

• MA says:

I agree with this. I don’t know any men who watch American Idol, much less vote, unless they’re doing it with girlfriend/wife or daughter.

22. MamaLis says:

I’m just gonna say it. I don’t think Holly is in the same caliber as the other remaining contestants. I mean, if we’re really having to make the tough choices now. She’s sweet as candy but…. just my opinion :o

• MA says:

I agree with this completely. I adore Hollie, but if we’re going on skill, talent, and performance ability alone, she should go next. On the other hand, if we’re going on “who do you think is the most darling and want to put in your pocket and carry around,” she should win the whole thing.

• Name That Tune says:

Sandy Duncan, if you ask me. Which means her wheelhouse is Musical Theatre. Would be nice for Idology to pull some old Sandy Duncan tapes for us.

• Brynn says:

Seriously? She’s prettier than Miley Cyrus, she sings better, has a better figure and is much classier. There’s room for her in show business,

23. GeorgeR says:

We like him deal with it. He is different than all the rest. Is he the best? no, I am not deaf but he has a lot of the all around qualities I like in an Idol same with several of the others.
    Just like America..

24. J. May says:

I’d like to hear Skylar sing something straight ahead rock like she did in week 1 with the Faces song. She proved she could rock without the country twist. I’d also like to hear Jessica sing Who Wants to to Live Forever.

• IdolFan says:

I would be surprised but really don’t think Skylar is going to veer away from country. She has a twang and slang in that voice permanently (cute but country).

25. noa says:

ok! they posted the list. it’s tiny, so i can’t really read the contestant’s choice songs but here is the Queen list. let the guessing begin:

1. The Show Must Go On
    2. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (of course)
    3. Fat Bottomed Girls
    4. Bohemian Rhapsody
    5. I Want It All
    6. Save Me (yay!! great choice for Idol IMO)

• noa says:

and now they posted a bigger picture, so here are the other songs:
      1. dance with my father (hey, as long as Jermaine isn’t coming back…)
      2. the climb (Hollie? first audition song from season 10)
      3. ready for love by India Arie
      4. Bold as Love by Jimmy Hendrix
      5. something i don’t quite understand- any help guys?
      6. tattoos on this town

• IdolFan says:

Would laugh (and secretly adore it) if Joshua did Fat Bottomed Girls and rocked it out. Something tells me Skylar may go after that one though.

• Name That Tune says:

Bohemiam Rhapsody. Elise?

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I hope Elise sings “The Show Must Go On”. Melody that have a lot to work w/, like that one, are the type of songs that show of her greatest strength, which is her phrasing. Plus, like Haley, songs that are at least partially in a minor key work better for her.

26. noa says:

so the second list is pretty obvious:
    1. Joshua
    2. Hollie
    3. Jessica
    4. Elise
    5. Phillip
    6. Skylar.

how about the Queen songs? i’m having a hard time guessing…

• Marie says:

Now why would Josh sing “Dance with my Father”?

• Name That Tune says:

I don’t know. Does it make sense that Jessica will sing Fat-Bottom Girls & Ready for Love? That sounds like something Skylar would try.

1. Joshua – The Show Must Go On/Dance With My Father
      2. Jessica – Crazy Little Thing Called Love/The Climb (Jimmy wants her to go younger)
      3. Skylar – Fat Bottomed Girls/Ready For Love
      4. Elise – Bohemian Rhapsody/Bold As Love
      5. Phil – I Want It All/ ————–
      6. Hollie – Save Me/Tattoos On Town

• noa says:

oh, the numbers i wrote were only for the second list. i still think Hollie is doing the climb, but i could be wrong.
        i’m not sure about the Queen songs. can’t decide.

• MA says:

I learned last week that the songs are not necessarily in order of appearance. So just because someone gets the first song on one list doesn’t mean he/she also gets the first song on the next list.

• Name That Tune says:

But that’s a photo of a list on the web. My guess is jotted down in order of appearance. Elise is so perfect for Rhapsody, and she’s doing Jimmy. Skylar needs to change it up this week and do something slow like Ready For Love. And only Hollie would be dumb enough to tackle Save Me.

• noa says:

it’s never in the order of appearance. they post it every week. they wouldn’t give away that much before the show.

• MA says:

It was the same last week. It’s not in order of appearance. I believe they write down the songs and take the photo specifically to “leak” it to the web.

• Name That Tune says:

I’ll go with Aldean’s song for Skylar, but Fat-Bottom Girls is in her lane. So that would make Hollie doing Save Me and Ready for Love.

• Jason says:

No way anybody but Philip is doing Fat Bottomed Girls. I Want It All is probably Skylar. Would love if Joshua did Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Show must go on is the big diva ballad so will probably be Hollie. Elise will definitely do Bohemian Rhapsody. JEssica will get Save ME (I’ve never heard this song though.)

• Name That Tune says:

Just listen to it on YouTube. it’s not the type of thing Jessica needs to do right now. She needs to go light and Crazy could work for her, but Hollie could take it on. But I agree that Joshua needs to balance Dance With Your Father with something light.

My guess is that whoever takes on Save Me better blow it out the box, or they are goin’ home.

27. Tahoe Mike says:

The Climb-Miley Cyrus
    Ready for Love- India Arie
    Bold as Love-Jimi Hendrix
    Tattoos on this Town-Jason Aldean
    The ______ – _____ ______ Band

29. Alli says:

The list is up and here are my prediction:

The Show Must Go On – Joshua
    Fat Bottomed Girls – Phillip
    Bohemian Rhapsody – Hollie (start off a capella like last week)
    Save Me – Jessica
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Elise
    I Want It All – Skylar

Dance with My Father – Joshua (the luther comparison has been there all season)
    The Climb – Jessica (age appropriate like Jimmy mentioned for her)
    Ready for Love – Hollie
    Bold as Love – Elise
    Dave Matthews Band (assumption) – Phillip
    Tattoos on this Town – Skylar

• Jason says:

Wow a Jimi Hendrix song. The guy sang like two notes his entire career. That has to be Philip’s song right? If it’s Elise unless she totally reinvents the song she is going home for sure!! Could be epic rearrange or epic failure.

• MA says:

Seriously?? Jimi Hendrix is fantastic! I wish she’d gone for something more rocking, but I think this is a good choice.

• Jason says:

Not saying Jimi Hendrix is not incredible. As a guitar player. As a singer? Come on!!! Not so much. Especially in the American Idol need a power vocal moment category. Plus Bold As lOve is a known song but not too the American Idol viewers. Love Hendrix but it may go down as well as Jason Castro doing Bob Marley.

• Jason says:

Then again that may be why it could just work. She can totally make it her own if she sings the hell out of it!!!!!! But she may be taking their advice to choose something like Zeppelin too literal.

• MA says:

Yeah, I think she’s better off doing something that isn’t super common because then viewers don’t have anything to compare it to. She also may play this song with her band (they do some Hendrix covers, though I don’t know about this one for sure). If she knows the song and already likes it, that’ll go a long way too. Part of the problem on Idol, I think, is that the singers often only get a short time to learn the songs, and practice really does help make things better. All that side, I don’t know…I think Jimi is one sexy dude, and sure, the guitar playing is the main reason, but the voice is pretty good too.

• MA says:

Bob Marley, on the other hand, puts me to sleep. Jimi couldn’t put me to sleep if he sang lullabies.

• Jason says:

SUpposedly even Hendrix himself never thought he was a good vocalist. They had to talk him into doing it I believe. He definitely has a cool style and vibe to his vocals just not a whole lot of range like say Robert Plant.

• MA says:

Fair enough. We shall see! (Fingers crossed!)

• C says:

What a shame that no one is doing “Who Wants to Live Forever”. That has to be Queen’s most beautiful haunting melody ever and I’d love to hear Hollie or Skylar do it. Joshua or Jessica would put too many runs and junk into it and Elise’s voice would make it sound awful (like most of the non-rock things she sings).

30. Marsaili says:

Maybe the mystery song is the Joker by the Steve Miller Band? That would be cool!

31. bwatt27 says:

I love your reviews Michael, but I think your love for Skylar is showing a bias in this list.

32. c freddy says:

Of all The DMB songs The Stone seems to be a very odd choice

33. Stephen S. says:

My rankings of the top 6:

1. Elise
    2. Phillip
    3. Skylar
    4. Joshua
    5. Hollie
    6. Jessica

Eh, Hollie and Jessica are pretty much tied. The rest of them are in the correct order. Elise is definitely my favorite this season. But Phillip and Skylar are awesome too. It’s a testament to how talented Skylar is that I like her a lot even though I’m not a fan of country.

34. Okay, guys, we can all agree Uncle Nigel is One Very Lucky Bastard. American Idol is whipping the crap out of The Voice in ratings and the the talent this year is unbelievable. Less talent and an 11-years-old show could go down on ratings very fast. You rock, Nige!

• Marsaili says:

I have to admit, I like the changes he’s made this year–but there are still many improvements that need to be done—like the voting system. and the judges idiocy. and the song choices—they need to open them up more. and the voting. and the fact that the judges have to do a “Haley treatment” to someone every season. and the voting…….

35. Michal says:

completly agree with your list this week. This season= season 4

36. Sean D says:

More people like Hollie than Joshua here? The Idology viewership? Geeez, I’m surprised! I may have to do some power-voting tonight.

I’m hoping for a Joshua victory, very different for me cause I’ve wanted a female winner for the past few seasons (Save the Rocker! Bowersox! HALEY!)

• Marsaili says:

I could deal with a Joshua win—honestly, I’d be happy if Elise, Phillip, Joshua or Skylar win. I can’t pick one favorite out of the 4 of them, which is strange for me because I usually have my one picked during auditions! (Haley, Adam, David Cook, Chris Daughtry—obviously I don’t have much luck with my picks as far as winning goes—but they are mostly all more successful than the winners)

37. Tom22 says:

I didn’t vote because, I’m sort of “meh” about all the contestants. I’m not crticizing their talent so much as saying they just don’t do it for me.

As a long time viewer though, I think Hollie is actually in a position to win it all.

Her singing will have something to do with it of course and she’d need to put her best performances in from this point out as the ones behind wouldn’t justify her winning

But looking at her past performances, her styling improves each week correcting a previous weekness, and her stage nerves kept her from being 100% relaxed, which is also on an upward trajectory.

She has been fairly chaming all along, and I think its very easy for a great percentage of the viewers (even if that isn’t you, think of an average viewer) to really hope the best for the young girl.

There is no question she has a very strong voice even if she needs improvement here and there as a singer in a greater “musician” sense.

Its easy for me to see where she might improve… its easy for me to remember contestants that improved or became more confident as the season went on. … IF she puts in a very good performance tonight and again next week, she stands a huge chance of winning it all as in terms of relation to the greater audience on a charm level, at least a few are struggling.

• Marsaili says:

LOL, as much as I love my 4 contestants, I think it would be awesome if Hollie just came up and took it all. I really like her, even if I don’t think she’s ready for it!

38. FreeHaley says:

Wow, Jessica really came alive tonight with her first performance!

• Marsaili says:

She did do a great job, although I am with J-Lo as I wish she would have played the rocker part since she did do a rocker song—but I liked how she sang the song, however butchered as it was–it seemed she should have had enough time to sing the second verse and then just do a “nothing really matters” at the end—then the song wouldn’t have seem so cut up. I hate how Idol arranges songs sometimes.

39. FreeHaley says:

Wow so they are praising a very average Skylar performance like mad even though Jessica was way better. They love to support their country middle america voting core.

Wow they are so over the top for Skylar good grief.

Good grief.

Jessica was so much better!!

YOu knew they were just setting her up for the finale. Just like last year they want their Nashville Idol.

• Marsaili says:

I disagree—-Skylar ruled that song, I felt every bit of the song, every bit of emotion, Jessica was great but Skylar was even better—to me. I agree with the judges. Since Jessica is their obvious favorite, I doubt they are trying to set up Skylar over Jessica—and I sincerely doubt if the “plan” is to have another country singer.

• FreeHaley says:

What? Her voice was so plain on it, it was boring too. Jessica did a million more things with her voice, crazy things, and was actually the more dramatic and exciting one this time.

• Marsaili says:

I don’t really care about runs—I care about how the song is translated and felt and conveyed. Although, Jessica’s runs were HOT, I will admit that—but the emotion that Skylar put through with that song trumped any vocal acrobatics for me.

• FreeHaley says:

I don’t know I just didn’t feel the emotion from Skylar on this, all three others so far I felt it more from. We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Marsaili says:

Yeah, that’s cool! We all have different ears and different musical ideals :-)

• FreeHaley says:

I mean Skylar wsn’t bad but it was whatever where the others all had some degree of special.

• Marsaili says:

Honestly, they ALL sound at their very best tonight, I am so impressed—I hope Phillip and Hollie can keep it going!

• FreeHaley says:

I think they might want Skylar vs Joshua finale and then Skylar easily winning.
        Of course who really knows.

• Kate says:

Are you kidding me? Jessica the judges favorite? The judges have thrown Jessica under the bus, and are all Team Joshua and Skylar!

40. FreeHaley says:

Yeah. Elise rocked it out!
    Judges gave praise too.

41. FreeHaley says:

It’s funny how everyone’s guesses have been way wrong as to who sings what Queen so far (from what I recall skimming through the posts above).

42. FreeHaley says:

Not my favorite Philip performance. (Side note: Poor dude can barely move and when he had to dance in intro looked to be in bad pain. Hate to see that.)

• FreeHaley says:

JLo did have a point though, didn’t sound like Dave Matthews at all. Randy had a point too! that is was solid but not at all his best.

• Marsaili says:

Yeah, I hope he’s not in trouble. I could tell he’s in pain—it is obvious. It was good, and it was great to see him do something upbeat and totally different, but he was flat in areas and he did have a hard time moving. UGH!!!! I hope he’s ok!

43. FreeHaley says:

I’d say Elise did the best and Jessica and Joshua also in top three group. Then Hollie/Sklar/Phillip.

44. FreeHaley says:

Other than over praising Skylar I actually couldn’t really disagree with anything the judges said.

• Marsaili says:

Poor Hollie, after that from the judges either she’s gonna be saved by her fans and someone else is going home or she’s gonna go home. I thought it was good, I liked it.

• FreeHaley says:

Still think it’s insanity for JLo to declar Skylar winner of that one. Come on. You can at least admit it the one time it’s in Elise’s wheel house. And Joshua seemed better to me and Jessica to, although I guess some (you at least hah) disagree on the latter.

45. Marsaili says:

Ok, she just started singing and I’m already crying. Damn. This is the best song she has sang on Idol–I believe her on this one!

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah Jessica did great on this one (and, IMO, really well on the first, second to only Elise or maybe, maybe Joshua).

• Marsaili says:

Wow, Jessica finally blew me away! That was beyond awesome (and she just blew Jacob Lusk so far out of the water with that) Wow.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah she has really come into her own this week, just totally!
        I’d love an Elise/Jessica finale, although we know that won’t ever happen on Idol. :(

46. FreeHaley says:

Liked this Skylar less than the first one. Twangy and screamy.

• Marsaili says:

Yeah, it wasn’t as good as her first song–I love Tattoos on this Town—I love Jason Aldean, I think she did a good version of it but it didn’t blow me away.

47. Dave says:

I think I’m done with idol after last week’s “predictable” exit. I told my wife that was going to happen before the show even started. After reading about the “problem” the producers had with Colton’s frequent references to God, and their pleading for him to tone it down, it was no surprise to me that he was voted off! (or was he VOTED off?)
    I personally believe that America did not vote Colton off!
    Just my personal opinion, but I know a lot of people who had their own doubts before talking to me!

• Marsaili says:

Where did you read about the problem the producers had with his God love? Just curious, I hadn’t heard anything. Unfortunately, I do think he was voted off—many of his Christian followers took a personal offense to him singing Gaga, i saw some of it on Facebook, it’s ridiculous. It’s shame, I think he would have killed during Queen week!

48. marie says:

Jessica should win AI Season 11. This girl has the whole package- beautiful voice, exotic looks, youth, charisma and a good fashion sense. Go, go Jessica!

49. Marsaili says:

So, I would say that the judges are looking to push Joshua into the finish line—double standing O’s for how many weeks now? Having said that WOW I LOVE Joshua!

• FreeHaley says:

yeah as I said i think, a guess obviously but…., TPTB want Skylar+Joshua finale and then an easy Skylar win.

50. Marsaili says:

Randy shut up. Elise ROCKED that song—that is the best for me so far!

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah he’s just lost it I just do not get the man at all. He’s been the worst judge for sure the past two seasons.

JLo actually seems to have gone back to her original self of the very first couple weeks of last season though, which is good, for the most part.