American Idol Top 6 Cover 'Contestant's Choice' & Queen: Who Were Your Faves?

skylar laineAmerican Idol was so stellar this evening, I can’t even find something sarcastic to say about the fact that the proceedings kicked off with the Season 11 Top 6 passing the mic for a medley of Queen’s greatest hits. (Come on, we can all admit that group performances and medleys are two of Satan’s most effective instruments of evil.)

American Idol: 10 Dream Theme Nights!

And, yeah, while I could certainly ridicule Randy Jackson for existing suggesting that viewers pick up their phones and vote for everyone, there’s a part of me that understands where the Dawg (another of Satan’s most effective instruments of evil) is coming from.

Indeed, whoever goes home on Thursday night’s results-show telecast, it’s going to sting like a Catholic schoolboy’s knuckles after Sister Mary Claire catches him playing with his mittens during Holy Thursday mass. (That metaphor courtesy of me, circa 1979.)

Anyhow, I’ve got a full recap to crank out — look for it on Thursday at TVLine.com — but before I do, allow me to offer some pithy first impressions on the night’s set list:

QUEEN SONGS
Jessica Sanchez: “Bohemian Rhapsody” I’m not sure why J.Lo demanded more hair-ography: Girlfriend rocked harder than a quarry hit with a blast of dynamite. Also: Was the trio of black-and-white Jessica heads the best backdrop of Season 11 or what?

Skylar Laine: “The Show Must Go On” I’ll leave this one to my incredibly patient husband: “Why am I rewinding this for the third time when you’re going to be playing it on repeat all week long?” I dunno, hon. But watch me go out on a limb and declare this THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SEASON!

Joshua Ledet: “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” I’m worried my face might be stuck in permanent stank mode after hollerating, testifying, and couch-dancing my way through this legendary performance. Dude actually out-Tasia’d ‘Tasia (who sang this back in Season 3)!

Elise Testone: “I Want It All” If you’re not excited about a future Elise Testone record after this performance, then dial 9-1-1, because you officially have no pulse. (Uh-huh, I said it!)

Phillip Phillips: “Fat Bottomed Girls” Basically this was “Does Your Daddy Let You Date: Part 2.” Not the stuff of Idol legend, exactly, but a whole lot of naughty fun.

Hollie Cavanagh: “Save Me” I don’t care that she was dressed like a 40-year-old office receptionist at a holiday cocktail party, Hollie found a mood and a melody here worthy of her bell-clear voice.

Contestant’s Choice
Jessica Sanchez: Luther Vandross’ “Dance With My Father” No doubt she sang this well, but is there a more painful slice of pablum than this ballad (which already was sung by Jermaine Jones earlier in Season 11)? Song choice alone might put Jessica at risk of elimination for the second time in three weeks.

Skylar Laine: Jason Aldean’s “Tattoos on This Town” The vocal got a little nasal in places, I can’t lie, but when Skylar opened up on those booming closing notes, she recaptured her standard-operating magic. Plus, this kid knows how to embody every word of every song she tackles.

Joshua Ledet: India.Arie’s “Ready for Love” I worry the judges’ standing ovations will eventually do more harm than good, but this stripped-down, from-the-gut vocal had me rolling in the deep. Dude really deserves to make it to hometown visits.

Elise Testone: Jimi Hendrix’s “Bold as Love” Steven might be right that the song was too obscure to capture the speed-dialing hearts of the Idoloonie nation, but I wouldn’t disagree with J.Lo that Elise slaughtered it so thoroughly that maybe it didn’t, or at least shouldn’t, matter.

Phillip Phillips: Dave Matthews Band’s “The Stone” I completely respect that Phillip boldly went in the musical direction he’ll probably pursue post-Idol, but as someone who’s never actually been stoned (I kid you not), I have to ask: Would you have to be stoned to enjoy that unmelodic slice of jam-band ridiculata?

Hollie Cavanagh: Miley Cyrus’ “The Climb” That was like the first dandelion peeping up in your front yard after a long, cold winter: Really, really pretty, even if I’m not sure we’ll still remember it come summertime.

What did you think of Top 6 week? Sound off below, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. John says:

Did anyone else see Elise take her mike out of her ear during “I Want it All”. I must say I’m impressed that she delivered that performance w/ mike issues.

Ironically, as much as I hate to draw comparisons, Haley did have ear issues during Top 6, XD, just saying…

2. Ron says:

To anyone who hasn’t heard “The Stone” by DMB, do yourself a favor and listen to it. Amazing song. Too bad Phillip, who I actually like, ruined it.

Oh, and why do people like Skylar so much? She seems average at best to me.

• SallyinChicago says:

I don’t get PP, but the girls like him. He can’t perform, he doesn’t move on the stage and his voice is average. Skylar’s personality and true-to self is what is carrying her. She needs to get over the nasal sound, but she’s a joy to watch on stage.
      Jessica is going down a notch and Joshua moved up a notch. I love Elise, I hope she finds her niche songs in the recording business.

• Robin says:

But his studio version of “The Stone” is stellar. I like DMB but I confess that I like the more pop radio ones like…you and me, what would you say… So when I watched Phillips live performance last night, I was kinda like…Huh? Now I can’t get the song out of my head!

3. joseph says:

Rock is definitely not JESSICA’s genre, but still she made a decent job with bohemian rhapsodi… what made her stand out tonight is her second song., i really think she deserves a stand O there.. but who cares!? with or without SO she is still one of the best IDOL contestant so far.. I’m voting for her all the way to the finale… Go JESSICA!!!!!

4. Malcolm says:

I’m sorry, but Skylar’s performance best of the season? I’ll have to mightily disagree with you, Michael! It was pretty nice but far from the best of the season or night even. LOVED Joshua and Jessica as usual!

5. Billy Jean says:

Phillip needs to go. The guy can’t carry a tune for nothing. He was awful last week and worst this week. As for Skylar…yes she can sing but does she have to build to a loud finish every week? This season, like The Voice, has gotten so boring. I could really care less who wins, but the pimping of Skylar and Phillip is obvious and annoying. And Jessica…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Hollie…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Joshua is the best and even he is starting to bore me. Elise…whatever.

6. Cathy says:

I thought that the three floating Jessica heads were just creepy — wonder if she had veto power ’cause I would have just said “hell to the NO.”

7. SallyinChicago says:

Let me say this about Joshua. Last year we had Jacob, who was a pretender, and Joshua is the real deal. He’s grown, he’s confident, he takes the stage. Like Randy said, he’s the reincarnated Sam Cook. Would today’s young audience know this? I doubt it. He will have a hard time finding someone who can write for him. Maybe Raphael Saddiq or Bruno Mars, but he’s definitely an R&B/soul/neo soul singer and entertainer. He could easily step into a Broadway production of Memphis or something like that.

• Joe says:

Sally – Agreed. He makes Jacob look like a amateur and I was willing to root and be patient with Jacob last season because Idol didn’t usually put men of color with this kind of style through in recent years. Joshua is now the gold standard. He is, without a doubt, one of the best to ever appear on this show. He may not win, but he will have a long successful career if he wants it. It may be in the gospel realm or he may try to go pop like Bruno Mars (which he could do), but whatever he does the man can sing like no other on the scene today. He makes Taylor Hicks Soul Patrol look like elementary school safety monitors.

• Templar says:

I love Joshua, but if I could change one thing, I’d ask him to go up one size in his jackets. He always looks like he’s outgrown it and can’t afford a new one.

8. Mary says:

I thought they all did really well last night, even the ones I do not care for. it is tough picking the bottom three. It is going to come down to what fan base voted their as..s off.
    My bottom three if I had to choose is P2, always sound the same, Elsie second song didn’t thrill me and then Skylar. Top was Joshua second song and Hollie second song, which surprise me because I absolutely hate the climb, then Jessica second song. Whoever leaves tonite will definitely leave on a good note. I think maybe Elsie but you never know.

9. C says:

Jessica: Vocally excellent in both songs, but I thought “Bohemian Rhapsody” was not a good song choice for a 16 year old (I thought Jimmy said she should try younger type songs), and I had trouble understanding some of the words in “Dance with my Father”.
    Skylar: Again, vocally very good in both songs. “The Show Must Go On” was emotionally wrenching in a way that Jessica has never approached, and I loved her showing her range with that last note in “Tattoos”.
    Joshua: Is there some sort of law now that the judges must stand everytime he sings? “Crazy Little Thing” was not intended to be screeched at the end. “Ready for Love” had a GORGEOUS arrangement, and he refrained from his over the top screaming at the end, but the judges stood for both. If you really liked the one, you probably would not have thought the other was terrific–so why stand for both?
    Elise: I’m never going to like the qualities of her voice, but “I Want it All” was really good for her. I thought “Bold as Love” was a little flat here and there and the last chorus became non-musical.
    Phillip: I thought he was flat for the first few lines of “Fat Bottomed Girls”. Couldn’t judge his pitch on the second song because I couldn’t grasp the melody–it sounded more like a chant. Is there another law that he can’t sing a song that has more than a 4 note range? Time for you to go home, guy! And take all your nasty comments about your fellow contestants with you. It didn’t even seem like you were saying them jokingly or in good humor. Just to rid the other contestants of your presence, you should go home. Your voice is so ugly that I don’t know how you ever got to this point.
    Hollie: “The Climb”, for me, was the performance of the night. And “Save Me” was so convincing. What was idiot JLo talking about saying that she should be seeming to “enjoy” a song that talks about facing life alone, naked and far from home. She should, according to JLo, “SMILE” when she’s singing a song like that? What a joke!

Just one little general fashion note: I am sick to death of watching these young ladies teetering around on their ridiculous foot destroying heels, and the moronic skirts that are short in the front and long in the back. I’d rather have Lauren Alaina back in her cowboy boots and puffy dresses. I think this year has been the absolute worst as far as how the contestants have been dressed.

• jaxguy says:

Jessica definitely has the best voice for Bohemian Rhapsody. So in that regard it fit her better. I love Queen, but most of their songs sound anthemy for me. BR is very challenging and she met the challenge head on.

• Joe says:

C -I bash Phillip for being a DMB clone every week on here, but I don’t think his comments in the interview segments were mean spirited. I think they were his attempts at sarcastic humor. I’m sure the Producers pushed him to act like that so they had something to cut to there. It’s reality TV. You have no idea how much of this is scripted and prodded by the production team.

• C says:

I considered that he was trying to be humorous, but his face certainly didn’t give any hint of that. I realize there’s an AWFUL lot to the way it’s edited, but I’ve never heard so much negativity about the other contestants from anyone in this interview segment in previous years.

10. junebug says:

Does anyone seriously think 16-year old Jessica Sanchez “just killed a man”? Me either. Talk about a song disconnect. I don’t believe she’s had “her share of sand kicked in her face” either. Skylar’s performances are so much better and way more believable.

• Name That Tune says:

I think BR wasn’t a good sing choice for her. It was way too fragmented & disjointed in its stripped down version & I don’t think she was believable. Can’t fault her vocals though. She delivered every note perfectly. Dance With My Father was gorgeous & more than surpassed the flaws of BR.
      OTH, there were problems with both of Skylar’s songs. I don’t think she was the worst performer last night, but we aren’ t gonna see P2 make that walk to tge B3.

• imho says:

She could’ve done The Muppets version, LOL! They just keep singing “Momma!” over and over, cuz Muppets could never really KILL a man!

• darcy's evil twin says:

I found that amusing – especially after Jimmy said “Jessica needs to sing younger music” she sings “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “Dance with my Father” (it’s not unlikely, but less likely a 16 year old would have lost her father. Plus, that song needs to be retired from this show, like yesterday). I can’t argue with Jessica’s vocals and when she sang Bohemian Rhapsody I felt as though I was hearing HER voice for the first time, not Beyonce or Whitney’s.

• junebug says:

I agree. Having lost my father 3 years ago, I know that pain. Only people who have been in that position can sing that song with true conviction.

• HudsonRiverside says:

Any child who sees their father go off to war faces that uncertainty and feeling that he may never come back. That time spent away from home is time that the song adresses and connects with many who has lived that experience. Not only has it hapoened once to Jessica, it happened twice and going on three. Not sure what world you all live in but thousands of young kids know EXACTLY what it is like to lose their father and lose the precious time they could have spent at home with the family.

• darcy's evil twin says:

My dad went to Vietnam when he was fairly old (“One, two, three, what are we fighting for?”). Ooopsie, I digress. That’s why I wrote “not unlikely”). She did a lovely job on the song. I’m just kind of tired of it but if I were a judge I would do my level best not to hold it against her.

• cccloc says:

I would put PP and Jessica in the bottom 3. Jessica is choosing songs that are too old for her, I don’t know how many times I have to write this. She’s not choosing good songs! Period.

• jaxguy says:

Truthfully, most contemporary songs are such crap who with a great voice would want to sing them? I’m serious. Most NEW stuff would not showcase her amazing range. Very often when an Idol contestant gets a contract they burden them with crapola songs. Often they bury a great singers voice. So I completely disagree.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Jaxguy – Jessica could choose older tunes that were “young”. That’s kind of counterintuitive, now isn’t it?

• Sandi says:

No offense but I’m kind of tired of this comment: “It’s not the right song choice for Jessica because she’s 16.” It’s pretty much said here about every song she sings. The girl can’t help being 16 and she’s not going to sing “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” every week. Popular songs usually deal with mature content. It’s ridiculously unfair to expect her to limit herself to the maybe 1% of songs that are “age appropriate.”

• C says:

That’s why I think they should raise the minimum age requirement to at least 18.

• Tarc says:

Back to 18, you mean. And I agree completely, Jessica could just slay everyone if she’d waited until she was 18 (well if she lived a little and mnocked the coupe kincks out of her vocal performance). Hollie was not helped by her age either.

• HudsonRiverside says:

+ Infinity on ^ this^ She’s relating a story not writing in her journal. The only songs that would be inappropriate overtly sexually aggressive ones. As per the Queen song, it’s about someone who did not want to shoot a person and is wishing they could talk to their MAMA about it. Not like she’s Rambo. A kid using a gun happens in the real world and the song is expressing extreme regret at their actions. It’s about how those decisions come with consequences that they could not quite grasp on their own. Seems the kid knows the song better than some others here.

• Name That Tune says:

I don’t think BR was the wrong choice for her because of her age. It was the wrong choice because it doesn’t suit her. You are never ever gonna believe her when she says she killed a man. Unless she can evoke some sort anger because he mistreated her. But we still aren’t gonna believe it.
        Last week, Joshua did 2 songs that were pretty much the same. WYB was the better performance. No where for him to go with Change, so it came across as more muted. This week he chose a fast song and a slow song. Much smarter, because we saw the full range of his talent. Jessica basically did 2 of songs with the same intent. BR came across as wierd. She would have done better to do something fast and let DWMF shine.

• Tarc says:

And until she has more life experience, she’ll have the same, very real trouble that every young singer has – not really being able to connect with a song to make it unique to them. They cam mimick, like Jessica does well, but there is still that hollowness that’s evident.

11. RD says:

All I can say is if I was in that audience i’d give Joshua a standing O every week too. He’s just a class act a step above the rest as far as i’m concerned.

• darcy's evil twin says:

LOVED Joshua last night on the “Queen” song. He was a true performer, something that’s missing in today’s music (oh, there are performers, but they can’t SING). Nothing gets me going more than Tina Turner and the Ike and Tina revue doing “Nutbush City Limits”. I like to see this “old school” stuff that requires singing AND entertaining.

• TC says:

I couldn’t agree more. Josh is by far, the most well rounded performer in this competition. He sings incredibly well, he dances, he feels his performances more than any other contestant. For just turning 20 years old, he’s scary good and well beyond his years. In my opinion, he is by far, the best hands down.

• jaxguy says:

I like Josh second to Jessica, but I think she is a step up from everyone. Her vocals are brilliant.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I do not disagree that her vocals are brilliant. She’s not my kind of singer but I sure can’t dismiss her talent.

12. darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, what a show! I even enjoyed the Queen medley. When Brian May and Roger Taylor met with the kids my husband said, “Cool! Old People!”. My goodness, Brian May can still play that guitar, and that’s what’s missing from today’s music – killer electric guitar. It’s one of the reasons I loved Casey James so much. Phillip Phillips, take note!
    Which brings me to…oh, Phillip, Phillip, Phillip. Your “Fat Bottomed Girls” was so much fun but in the name of everything holy why did you sing that dreadful DMB song with no melody? You just went and did a Paul McDonald on me! So many great songs out there…so little time. I really like you better singing songs like “Midnight Hour” and “Hard to Handle” but I guess you are what you are. See you on Jay Leno this Friday night. ;-)

13. George R says:

So Dial Idol has Hollie getting the most votes followed by Phillip with Elise going home should be an interesting evening. I doubted them last week and Colton did indeed go home

• FreeHaley says:

dang what an utter crime. I hope you looked at their main score though since that one has been wrong a lot, one of their raw scores has been right for the last few weeks though.
      A total travesty if Elise goes home tonight after taking the night.

As of 11:30PM last night Dial Idol had Skylar going home, she was clearly trailing, darn middle america, the results must’ve shifter as later time zones voted. :(

Travesty!

14. tewence says:

yes, skylar did well last night. but to say that “the show must go on” was the performance of the season would be an injustice to other, WAY more powerful performances (a la “jar of hearts” in hollywood week from joshua, for example)

15. darcy's evil twin says:

My favorite performances of the night – Elise (both songs!), Joshua on “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”, and Hollie’s “The Climb”. I’m not even a fan of “The Climb” but honestly, I truly enjoyed Hollie’s performance and for the first time I felt as though she wasn’t at her junior high music recital, concentrating on every note and beat. “Save Me” was much better than the judges gave her credit for, IMO. I do love her voice and I hope she does something in the industry.

16. soarin829 says:

I guess I might be in the minority, but I LOVED Phillip’s performance of Dave Matthews. And too have never been stoned, Slezak! I thought it was really sexy and I loved hearing him toned down like that.

17. James says:

WHERE THE HELL IS THE COLTON INTERVIEW SLEZAK!!!!

18. Karen says:

I’m beginning to hope that on the finale night, as Skylar waits to find out if she is the next Idol, they bring out Dolly Parton to sing a duet with her. I am not a country fan at all but I love her. She is the best country singer they’ve had on the show since Carrie Underwood (sorry Scotty).

Also, don’t care what Randy and Steven said, Elise’s Hendrix covered was sublime. JLo got it right

19. DCTodd says:

I have no pulse.

20. Kate says:

The judges have thrown Jessica under the bus, and are over pimping Joshua. Standing ovations for Joshua but Skylar was the best of the night? And what about Jessica? I loved it when she sang dance with my father. And another thing, was Hollie’s the climb really worthy of a standing o? It was good, but it wasn’t that good!

• jaxguy says:

Agree. I don’t care for Dance with my Father, but her version was gorgeous and for the 1st time I loved it. My least favorite Luther song, but Jessica was wonderful. THAT was the best vocal of the night.

• Name That Tune says:

Hollie’s version of The Climb was forgettable. A word we haven’t heard much since Simon, but very appropriate for the song and her choice to sing it.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah I don’t know how Jessica and Elise didn’t get a standing o (well I do know how elise didn’t because randy for sure and TPTB don’t want her to win i bet, although they are not quite as ganging up on her as on Haley). And maybe they ultimately want Skylar over Jessica. I sure as heck don’t agree with that though.

21. gary says:

Doubt anyone will notice this thread on the third page but must put in my 2 cents. Hearing Elise hold and roll that one note on “Bold as Love” (“They’re AAAAAAA–AAAAA-AAAALL bold as love”) is what excites me about a future Elise Testone record, Slezak. I had not heard of any version of this song prior to last night. As far as I’m concerned it is an Elise Testone song. The studio version is equally outstanding and allows me to close my eyes and immerse myself in the multiple nuances and shades of Elise’s voice. What character in her voice. This is an “artist”. Kudos to J-Lo this time. So frustrated , on so many levels, with Steven to allow his unmerited disappointment that Elise didn’t pander to affect the praise the performance deserved. Reminded me of Randy last year with Haley’s “you and I”. How doesn’t P2 get the same rebuke (Personally I hadn’t heard of “The Stone” and really doubt I would listen to a P2 version of it again or send me off to buy it. He Phillip Phillips’ed boredom into the song. If it’s about great singing voices, P-2 is last among the remaining six. If it’s about the ability to “perform” the song, P-2 is obviously last in flash and charisma (from the same grey clothes to his Herman Munster dance moves to his being lost and not filling the stage without his guitar to his defecation grimace to his arrogance about his own “artistry”). It all feels like the “Emporer’s New Clothes” to me. J-Lo was right again. Randy is another one. This is why it’s not cool for Randy to go on talk shows and predict who his final three are. His negativity towards Elise (his non-favorite) is not credible, Elise is not “boxing” the lyrics (of this so-called obscure song”) she’s “defining” it …as her own. Isn’t that what Randy and Steven are always saying this competition is about. J-Lo is right. It doesn’t matter that the song was too obscure for this stage of the competition or that it wasn’t familiar enough to get votes or that there are other versions of this song with less gymnastics. Because Elise slayed it, made it hers, and gave us a glimpse of what to expect from her post-idol. Hope and expect Jimmy Iovine (who in the past has said he would love to hear Elise do her own material) to take positive notice of this performance.

• John says:

This. I feel like Elise is not getting near enough respect around the boards. Personally, I feel that she truely knows herself as an artist.

• noa says:

i noticed your comment and it made me really happy :)
      o agree with everything you wrote. the studio version is amazing! Elise is spectacular.

and i do know The Stone (it’s even one of my favorite songs), and you should listen to the original. P2′s version was just an OK copycat rendition.

• darcy's evil twin says:

gary – read your comment and I agree 1000%.

• FreeHaley says:

+1000000000000000000

22. DCwriter says:

Slezak, your recaps have turned into ridiculata. Any true DMB fan, which you are not, knows that the Stone is a hugely popular song among those who really get him. Sorry that Dave isn’t a diva ballad singer.

23. desifish2011 says:

Joshua’s second song choice for the first time made me think that he could make a record outside Idol and succeed. Clay made a career out of singing covers of standards and similar sounding music. I’d never heard Joshua’s second song before but if I heard it on the radio I would definately want to know who did it. Best of the night. CLTCL was good in his throwback style but lacked nuance.

Elise did very well with I Want It All. Randy was right that the melody was simple enough to allow her to do the runs without crowding the song. I also agree that her second song was a little too obscure and she didn’t kill it enough for me to care.

Skylar is ready, y’all. Those were not her best performances but not every song on her upcoming album is going to be single worthy either. Those were solid efforts and would be fun at a concert while you wait for the big guns to come out.

Jessica…oy I know Bohemian Rhapsody is a fan favorite but it’s really not Queen’s best. She should have gone with Who Wants To Live Forever and showed off those vocals. Dance With My Father was a good vocal, nothing stellar, but will bring in the tenderheart votes.

Hollie will never get a break with the judges. Someone (maybe Jimmy) behind the scenes is trying to orchestrate her staying. She admitted to not knowing Queen at all so someone must have showed that to her. I thought she did well but wasn’t blown away. The Climb was her best of the season, imho, but its just not enough to topple Skylar.

Oh Phillip, you are so outclassed now. I think he knows it, too. He will probably stick around another week though. Fat Bottomed Girls was fun but it would never make an album. (Shame he doesn’t know what to do with himself without the guitar.) His Dave Matthews cover was good (I’d never heard it before) but wouldn’t make me buy the song.

Bottom 2 Jessica and Phillip with Jessica going home.

24. jaxguy says:

Here is my 2 cents worth. IF A CONTESTANT BEAUTIFULLY SINGS A SONG, I don’t care if it’s a week or 200 years old. That whole relating to the lyrics for me is meaningless. Some of the greatest stars in music have been doing great albums of the standards and if they do them well, who cares how old they are. I admit I hate most modern songs. Not enough melody, too much gimmick. So last night I give the top award to:
    Jessica. Her BR was terrific and DWMF sublime.
    Joshua. Really did a great job on both songs, but sorry not worthy of standing O’s.
    Hollie. Completely gave solid and with TC a stunning vocal. Way to go Hollie.
    Elise. Loved both songs. Loved the Hendrix. But hey nobody is complaining about her singing a song over 40 years old. (So leave Jessica alone!)
    Skylar. Good job. Didn’t love her Queen so much. I like Skylar but forgive me for saying this she is overrated. Like Joshua she often comes close to “punching” the song too hard
    Phillip. All of you who love him, great. Go buy his record when it comes out, but he has every quirk that drives me crazy. Hate the facial expressions and way he squeezes his voice. It completely turns me off. I hope he’s not in pain, but it looks that way. His two vocals were weak, and that’s being kind.

• junebug says:

Relating to the lyrics has nothing to do with how old a song is. Our national anthem has been around for several years, but I’ve heard it song with lots of heartfelt passion. I know people feel differently and certainly you are entitled to your opinion, but to me, music and lyrics mean something. If I can’t relate to the artist and their emotions, than I’m not gonna give the song more than a couple of listens.

• jaxguy says:

By the way I was not referring to music and lyrics not meaning something, to me or the artist. We don’t know when we buy records what their emotional state was when they were recorded. They could have had gas, a toothache or acid reflux. How would you know? I’m saying when I listen to Jessica I hear emotion and feeling. Maybe it’s because I’m significantly older than you that I appreciate a great voice more. Kanye West is a “great” (I’m holding my nose as I write this,” performer but I can’t listen to his crap.

• Tarc says:

Hey, there is at least on thing we agree on: the only thing you need to deal with Kanye West is a toilet brush and some potent cleaner.

25. gregk says:

Loved the way Hollie jumped up and down at the end of her last song. Reminded me of the way Jackie Evancho expresses the same child-like joy after her performances (and they are basically still kids!). Hollie also reminds me of a young Petula Clark, especially her (milder) Brit accent. She would absolutely slay one of her songs, although not sure if contestants are allowed to sing them on Idol (have not heard any covers yet).

26. bigtuna21 says:

Jessica is going to go home not for voice, but because she’s boring. Elise may be rough around the edges on stage, but Jessica lacks any personality when she performs. All I can remember is her singing a ballad (beautifully), looking like she’s about to cry. It doesn’t inspire me to want to watch her. I’d rather just listen to her voice on my iPod.

Also, this Joshua thing is a bit ridiculous. Four standing ovations in a row? Give me a break. He’s good, but there was nothing modern about that first performance. How about some criticism that sometimes he doesn’t have to “take a song to church.” That’s why I loved the beginning of his second song, because it wasn’t affected and it was simple…until the end when it got guttural all over again.

• sally says:

I’m sick of the jessica is boring crap, SHE IS FAR FROM BORING. Carrie underwood was completely boring during the competition yet she won and now her personality is coming out.

• Suggestor says:

THANK YOU sally. I love reading how Jessica’s critics have tried every which way to spin her, but to say she is boring is ridiculous. If she was boring she would never generate this much passion and discussion. What she is a MAJOR obstacle to their fave contestant and regardless of who wins this show, she’s going to be doing some amazing things from here on out!

• jaxguy says:

Thank you Sally. I hate the boring criticism for any contestant. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? If you buy their record you can’t see them perform. Does that mean an artists’ record is boring. It has no personality. You can’t see them. So you can’t prove they have a personality. Come on, Please

27. kelly says:

I cannot wait to see skylar go home tonight and go off to be a huge country star. Of all the remaining, she is the one who doesn’t need to win the title to be successful. I’m getting sick of the joshua standing ovations, he wasn’t “when a man loves a woman” good for at least two weeks running. It’s insane dawg.

• Name That Tune says:

Don’t fret too much about it. Joshua is just another Melinda Doolittle waiting to happen. He won’t make it to the final 2, although he should.

28. ashley says:

1- Skylar
    2- Phillip
    3- Elise
    Bottom 3 Josh, Jessica & Hollie

Those 3 are BORING to watch!! Nothing but ballads and high notes. Yeah high notes are great and all but not allll the time, same as ballads. Those 3 have nothing special about their voices where skylar phillip and elise do! If Josh Jessica or Hollie win I wouldn’t buy any of their albums. I find all the standing o’s for josh getting a little outta hand. Standing O’s are for that amazing moment like Skylar had w/ her Queen song or Elise doing Zepplin. Josh gets em every show and I don’t think he “nails” it every time in the way of getting standing o’s. As far as I’m concerened hollie josh and jessica are just like any pop singer out there they sing the song like its to be sang, Phillip puts is own twist one them, Skylar makes em country and elise has a voice unlike anyone on the show and colton, colton should still be there and jessica and hollie shouldn’t be. I don’t believe hollie got more votes then colton. I’m ready for jessica josh and hollie to pack their bags and go one after the other!! And see Phillip Skylar&Elise as the final 3 like it should be!

29. Templar says:

I’m probably going to get hyper criticized for this, but I wish they’d have a Disney week. Seriously. Songs from Disney movies are part of all of us and I’d bet the viewers would love it. There’s enough diversity to accommodate any style singer. I’d love to hear Jessica sing When You Wish Upon a Star [Pinocchio], Hollie sing Once Upon a Dream [Sleeping Beauty], Elise sing He’s a Tramp [Lady and the Tramp], P2 sing Bare Necessities [Jungle Book], and Joshua sing Circle of Life [Lion King].

30. justafan says:

idol history buffs… has anyone ever done hendrix befoe on a live show?

31. Sue says:

I think skylar Phillip and Hollie did the best
    Bottom 3- elyse Jessica Joshua

• FreeHaley says:

??? Elise, Jessica and Joshua did the best, they separated themselves from the crowd last night!

• Sue says:

I was stating my opinion if u don’t like it don’t read it good lord as for elyse I love her voice I really want her to win but in my OPINION she week after week has chosen wrong songs last night I just thought it was ok
        Joshua had 1 good one
        Jessica I didn’t like anything she did

32. C.D. says:

Did anyone notice the failed attempts at swaybotting during Hollie’s The Climb? Tsk, tsk. I was not impressed by that effort, audience. If you’re going to go swaybot, you gotta go full swaybot. Study your season 8 or 9 tapes. Now there’s swaybotting! With conviction!

On a more serious note, I’ve always loved Joshua, but tonight was the first night I saw he could be a mainstream artist (with Ready For Love). Which is fantastic.

33. gregk says:

My wife and I noticed the left side of Ryan’s face sagged a bit. Wonder if he had Botox, and used the flu story to help cover this up.

34. Lois Benton says:

The final six are all good, no question. But, as funny , musically talented and charming as he is, Phillip’s voice isn’t great and he hides behind his bluesy style to veer off pitch at will, or probably unintentionally most of the time. In short, he seems like a lazy singer, if an interesting one. If this show were called “The Voice,” he would have been gone a long time ago. Ditto for Skylar, who shows a lot of spunk and personality, but whose nasal delivery is unpleasant to listen to. She also has yet to deliver a subtle, quiet performance that moved me. I’d HATE to see any of the other four go, but one probably will. I LOVE Joshua–his musical and emotional shadings are genius– and Elise, Jessica and Hollie aren’t really very far behind.

• Name That Tune says:

Here’s what I would like to do. Replace JLo with Xtina as a judge on Idol. She may be a bit direct, but I never disagree with her.
      I don’t think even Adam, CeeLo or Blake would save P2.

35. lbw says:

I can’t decide if P2 is oblivious or a genius. Was “Fat Bottomed Girls” a poor song choice or was he monopolizing on his interaction with Jlo last week. Was doing the Dave Matthew’s song a colossal mistake or a gutsy way to poke fun at his critics for the constant comparisons. I guess we’ll know tonight at the results show how it came across.

• Name That Tune says:

The critique that he is a lazy singer is pretty accurate. He doesn’t have to do anything else, ‘cuz the votes will follow him regardless. So it doesn’t really matter what his reason was. He’s been told how great he is since day one so he can pretty much do whatever he wants.

• Tarc says:

Top 3. :D

36. FreeHaley says:

UGh! It was Skylar going home on dial idol as of around 11-11:30ish PM but I look at it this morning and she sunk way down and Skylar looks safe now. Dang. Maybe they should only count votes from the eastern seaboard….

Looks like Middle America punished the heck out of Elise. What a travesty if this holds up.

Going by the particular set of RAW numbers that worked the last few weeks though it would be Skylar or more likely Joshua going home though.

37. Webpage says:

With havin so much content do you ever run
    into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?

My site has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any techniques to help stop content from being stolen? I’d really
    appreciate it.