American Idol Top 6 Cover 'Contestant's Choice' & Queen: Who Were Your Faves?

skylar laineAmerican Idol was so stellar this evening, I can’t even find something sarcastic to say about the fact that the proceedings kicked off with the Season 11 Top 6 passing the mic for a medley of Queen’s greatest hits. (Come on, we can all admit that group performances and medleys are two of Satan’s most effective instruments of evil.)

American Idol: 10 Dream Theme Nights!

And, yeah, while I could certainly ridicule Randy Jackson for existing suggesting that viewers pick up their phones and vote for everyone, there’s a part of me that understands where the Dawg (another of Satan’s most effective instruments of evil) is coming from.

Indeed, whoever goes home on Thursday night’s results-show telecast, it’s going to sting like a Catholic schoolboy’s knuckles after Sister Mary Claire catches him playing with his mittens during Holy Thursday mass. (That metaphor courtesy of me, circa 1979.)

Anyhow, I’ve got a full recap to crank out — look for it on Thursday at — but before I do, allow me to offer some pithy first impressions on the night’s set list:

Jessica Sanchez: “Bohemian Rhapsody” I’m not sure why J.Lo demanded more hair-ography: Girlfriend rocked harder than a quarry hit with a blast of dynamite. Also: Was the trio of black-and-white Jessica heads the best backdrop of Season 11 or what?

Joshua Ledet: “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” I’m worried my face might be stuck in permanent stank mode after hollerating, testifying, and couch-dancing my way through this legendary performance. Dude actually out-Tasia’d ‘Tasia (who sang this back in Season 3)!

Elise Testone: “I Want It All” If you’re not excited about a future Elise Testone record after this performance, then dial 9-1-1, because you officially have no pulse. (Uh-huh, I said it!)

Phillip Phillips: “Fat Bottomed Girls” Basically this was “Does Your Daddy Let You Date: Part 2.” Not the stuff of Idol legend, exactly, but a whole lot of naughty fun.

Hollie Cavanagh: “Save Me” I don’t care that she was dressed like a 40-year-old office receptionist at a holiday cocktail party, Hollie found a mood and a melody here worthy of her bell-clear voice.

Contestant’s Choice

Skylar Laine: Jason Aldean’s “Tattoos on This Town” The vocal got a little nasal in places, I can’t lie, but when Skylar opened up on those booming closing notes, she recaptured her standard-operating magic. Plus, this kid knows how to embody every word of every song she tackles.

Joshua Ledet: India.Arie’s “Ready for Love” I worry the judges’ standing ovations will eventually do more harm than good, but this stripped-down, from-the-gut vocal had me rolling in the deep. Dude really deserves to make it to hometown visits.

Elise Testone: Jimi Hendrix’s “Bold as Love” Steven might be right that the song was too obscure to capture the speed-dialing hearts of the Idoloonie nation, but I wouldn’t disagree with J.Lo that Elise slaughtered it so thoroughly that maybe it didn’t, or at least shouldn’t, matter.

Phillip Phillips: Dave Matthews Band’s “The Stone” I completely respect that Phillip boldly went in the musical direction he’ll probably pursue post-Idol, but as someone who’s never actually been stoned (I kid you not), I have to ask: Would you have to be stoned to enjoy that unmelodic slice of jam-band ridiculata?

Hollie Cavanagh: Miley Cyrus’ “The Climb” That was like the first dandelion peeping up in your front yard after a long, cold winter: Really, really pretty, even if I’m not sure we’ll still remember it come summertime.

What did you think of Top 6 week? Sound off below, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. giggles says:

Goodbye Phil. You just cheated. Can’t believe you actually did Daves song.

• I gotta say, though, the most interesting thing about the performance were the two instrumentalist ladies. They sure knew how to bring it! Plus I wondered if he was just talking during the performance.

• Phil is sticking around, but Bottom 3 might be happening for him. This is such a tough week to figure out who’s going home. I would say Hollie but they gave her the pimp slot and she got a standing ovation. It might still be Jessica, maybe even Elise. This is a tough call.

• Phil will never bottom three. It surprises me that anyone who has watched the last few seasons would think so.

• rod says:

I agree, this seems to be anoter season oF WGWG winning

• Lana says:

This Guy, Girl thing is a cop out, people. Stop whining about it, this is the first season that everybody deserves the win. I haven’t enjoyed a season this much since season 8 and that was only because of Adam, this time I love watching everyone!!. While my favorite has become Joshua, he gives me goosies and makes me cry and stand up and cheer, I will not be bitter no matter who wins. These voices are a joy to listen to and I will cry no matter who goes home cause I don’t want any of them to go. I want to hear the same group over and over. I sort of missed Jimmy’s opinions so I hope he has some for tomorrow. Basically I will be crying every week, but when Joshua goes I’m going to have to go to the emergency room. Yeah I pretty much know that Joshua has a snowball in hell chance of winning. but I will keep hoping. I do want an album done with him no matter how he does in the show, hint hint Jimmy or even Randy

• Lee says:

Phillip is gonna get Colton’s votes so I’d be surprised if he’s even in the Bottom 3. I didn’t care for either songs by Hollie or Skylar. They just didn’t grab me. I felt Jessica rocked on both songs. Right now my faves are Jessica and Joshua.

• chistosa says:

@Lee I am not so certain that Phillip will have received Colton’s votes. Colton’s Christian voters would more naturally turn to Skylar.

• MA says:

I like Phillip, and I think he’s a really talented musician, and I think he was feeling really bad tonight, but boy…he was bad tonight. I don’t know that he deserves to go home, but he should be in the bottom. Will he? Probably not.

• MA says:

*feeling really sick, I mean

• Tarc says:

Really? I thought he killed both songs. He wasn’t the best of the night, for sure, but middle of the pack. The tweeners will probably keep him just in the Top 3.

• MA says:

Yeah, it was painful for me to watch, and it looked incredibly painful for him to do…and not in that good “I’m a rock star and so I shall bleed for you” way.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t think anyone could sing that awful DMB song and make it sound like something remotely entertaining – with or without kidney stones, a gospel choir, a marching band, flashing lights, or the June Taylor Dancers. That’s just an awful song.

• Tarc says:

I agree. Plus, between the two songs, Phil handed a giant ‘bite me’ to the remaining criticisms anyone’s managed to come up with. Both songs were terrific. (And yes, the DMB song was obscure and slightly odd in the first place, but Phil *killed* it.) With Joshua’s ‘worst song of the season’ queen number, I think he’ll be at the bottom and Elise just above.

• crayzforIdol says:

I’d agree, but I never thought Colton would bottom 3 (let alone be sent home), either. Poor song choice/arrangement could be trouble for him.

• Layla says:

Jessica’s Luther cover, it was = sublime. Tearing up all over again. Wow.

• HudsonRiverside says:

“Hey @JSanchezAI11 Just watched you sing “Dance With My Father” online. Killer job! You did Luther and me proud. Good luck!” Richard Marx tweeted tonight. He & Luther won Song of the Year Grammy 2004 for that song.

• jaxguy says:

I loved Luther Vandross. I never liked that song, but for the first time I liked it. Jessica’s version was gorgeous. Jessica is THE best vocalist on the show. I will buy her record. But alas, the best singer WILL NOT WIN. It seems that the judges are pushing for a Skylar/Josh/Phillip finale. The judges are ruining another season of idol. And it will be my last.

• Tarc says:

As i’ve said before, Jessica isn’t the best singer of the bunch (yet), and she isn’t terribly marketable (right now). I’m sure the producers would like someone more current – so they’ll most likely push Skylar, then Phillip. I think Colton would have been a fave, but he wants to keep doing the (small market) Christian music thing – which is a shame.

• Marko says:

Jessica was amazing.

• Suggestor says:

Jessica CONNECTED and it was one of her most touching performances to date. It erased all the other versions after Luther. She seemed less distracted, perhaps at peace with what she’s been able to accomplish thus far. Many just assume she has no fears, no fragility but watching her last night gave me a better perspective of what she’s going thru. The producers finally let us see a bit into her world. Always wondered if they protected her from the cameras because of her age, but it seems she’s just really busy with school and the contest demands. Makes her performances even more incredible.

• Christina says:

I think if Simon Cowell was still around he would’ve called Philips performance self indulgent

• shelbybb says:

Don’t forget to add “rubbish” – “Self indulgent rubbish” and Simon could have been right this time But I do love my Phil :)

• Tarc says:

LOL! Nonsense. But Simon always did like his Whitney clones that never went on to anything remarkable. I’d say Phil gave a giant finger to his critics. :D

• Ladyguard says:

If I remember correctly he pinpointed Kelly Clarkson to win Season 1 and said that Carrie Underwood would be bigger than Kelly. She may not be bigger than Kellly but she sure is even with Kelly.

• JC says:

Philip is a Dave Matthews band clone I would rather have a Whitney clone at least Whitney is considered a legend I don’t know about Dave Matthews band if anyone considers them to be legends :)

• Tarc says:

Simon said a lot of things about a lot of ladies that went nowhere (LaToya, for example), and constantly dissed several girls that did (JHud, for example). In fact, if you remember, Simon had to be convinced on Carrie. Cowell’s talent selection had a not to be disired in retrospect.
            @JC – We really don’t need a Whitney clone either – we’ve got Adele, Celine is still kicking, and Aussie Delta Goodrem’s already in the wings as her replacement. With Adele being the exception to literally *everything*, big voices are out. WGWG are in. And P2’s hardly a DMB clone – not a bit.

• JC says:

@Tarc everyone is a clone of someone in this show and that’s a given because their singing songs from other artists duh!!! but a Whitney clone as you call it is so much better than what Phillip is aspiring to be :)

• Chrissie Kirk says:

I liked ’em all last night…nothing at all was cringe-worthy and how about that!! Carrie Underwood IS bigger than Kelly in that she has sold over 2,000,000 more records!

• pmet says:

Simon predicted early on that Carrie Underwood would not only win, but sell more records than any other winner. He was, and still is, correct

• Kyle says:

Kelly has sold more albums than Carrie and more singles than Carrie. No competition.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Simon also voted against David Cook and Chris Daughtry going to Hollywood, if I’m not mistaken. But I would agree with him that P2’s DMB song was “self-indulgent”.

• pmet says:

@Kyle: According to Billboard, as of May 2011, Carrie Underwood surpassed Kelly Clarkson as the top earning contestant to come out of American Idol selling, as of that time, 12 million albums and 18 million digital tracks, compared to Kelly’s 10 million albums and 16 million digital tracks. Clearly they are both highly successful, but Carrie continues to hold the edge. It’s hard to beat the country music industry.

• shelbybb says:

Michael, to answer your question – yes.

• Joe says:

It just cracks me up all the wasted breath by his insane supporters who shout us down in here week after week that he doesn’t copy Dave Matthews only to have him do a note for note, moment for moment, cover of Dave Matthews and have a fiddle and sax player flanking him. The only thing missing was Phil screaming “Carter Beaufort on the drums!” at the end of the performance. He didn’t do Dave justice. He did Dave. Period. What an artist.

• sneakin says:

Thank you Joe. I personally found the whole thing painful.

• Tarc says:

He did an amazing job – just like Jessica did a great job with I Will Always Love You.

• NedPepper says:

Tarc, I know Phillips is your boy, but all year the comments have been he’s too much like Dave Matthews. A lot of us defended him against it…until he sings a Dave Matthews song EXACTLY THE SAME AS DAVE MATTHEWS. Can’t really defend him anymore. Hard to take you seriously. He was bad tonight. Period.

• Tarc says:

Again, he did a great job on the DMB song – just like Jessica cloned I Will Always Love You and Beautiful Nightmare. And his Queen song was the farthest from DM that he’s ever been. I’m not sure what your point here is – I’ve never said he’s not a blues man.

• Suggestor says:

The big difference is that Jessica sang a Whitney classic that would have gotten her tossed out on the curb if she even hit one sour note. The Beyonce song was another that could have taken her right out of the running. BOTH songs were challenging on so many levels. IWALY and Whitney iare so well loved at this time by the masses that Jessica being able to sing it GREAT was a tremendous achievement not to be taken lightly. Philip took a lesser known song that really was not much of a gamble vocally. One was tightroping between skyscrapers in a storm, and the other between two trees in his backyard. :)

• Tarc says:

And Jessica mumbled entire phrases of Beautiful Nightmare… and wasn’t that the week she was at the bottom?

Well I’m glad America heard what I did. :D

• noa says:

1. that was funny.
        2. it was SUPPOSED to be note for note, except Dave is better.
        3. i wanted to love it. i really did. i love this song, and i love that finally someone sang a DMB song on AI. and i thought it was so brave of him to do it in spite of the constant comparisons. but i’ve gotta say, i wasn’t all that impressed. kept wanting to hear the original.
        4. i’m just furious at Steven right now. the hypocrisy is just unbelievable!

• PhillipRocks says:

Joe, your continuing hate campaign against Philip is so old. Seriously, why do you have it out so bad for him? Did he steal your girlfriend or something?

Philip is nothing like DM, although I thought it was hilarious that he sang a song of his to all you people comparing the two. I thought the performance actually demonstrated how different he is from DM.

Dave’s music is more pop. Yeah, I said it. Phil, to me, is a rocker. His music appeals to me way more than Dave’s.

• jaxguy says:

I can’t stand watching him make those painful faces. He’s this year’s Scotty and I WOULD NEVER BUY their records. Would stick with Dave Matthews Band.

• Joe says:

PhillipRocks – Don’t know what’s more disturbing; That you took the time to write that OR that you may actually believe what you wrote. He COPIED Dave. Period. End of story. Explain to me oh great music lover what he did musically, tempo, vocally different on the track than Dave did? If he came out and sang it acapella, I’d say at least he tried to change it. He did the same exact arrangement down to the smirk, grin and stomp that Dave does on stage. But hey, you keep selling soup over there. I’m sure someone else as deluded as you is hungry enough to buy it.

• Leila says:

Phillip will get a free pass after singing fat bottomed girls. That’s pandering to most of the AI audience.

• NedPepper says:

That made me laugh. So true. He was preaching to the choir. : )

• Lou says:

Maybe not the entire audience, but definitely his fanbase (aka “the herd”).

• Tarc says:

I think that’s the first time ever I’ve been called part of the ‘herd’. It’s absurd, but I get a little bang out of it. :P

• jaxguy says:

It was truly horrible. I was hoping if the little squealing girls kept some “cute” guy this year it would be Colton. But sadly I was wrong. At least I could stand listening and watching Colton.

• SallyinChicago says:

All the others are stepping up to the plate, but Phillip. He’s the sameo. Joshua is turning into a performer. I think the top three will be Joshua Skylar and Jessica. I love Elise. But I think Joshua is the one stepping up full time.

• Marie says:

Josh has been standout since day 1

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree, Marie. I haven’t enjoyed everything Joshua has done but he’s a true PERFORMER. I loved his “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”. It’s a darn sight better than much of the over-synthesized, non-melodic crap that passes for music on today’s radio.

• Tarc says:

Dear God, no one should give a single vote to the travesty of his Queen song. He killed his second song, but ‘Crazy…’ was the worst song of the season. *shudders*

• McFudge says:

Joshua didn’t quite get the whole “you gotta be cool, relaxed” lyric in that song, did he? That whole thing was a hot mess and you just knew – knew! – that the judges would stand afterward. Pathetic, really, that the judges feel they have to give him a gold star every time he opens his mouth. Then when he really deserves it – like after his second song – it means nothing. I got a giggle out of Skylar ribbing him about it – 12 standing ovations! 12! 12! I suspect even he gets that it doesn’t mean anything anymore.

• Kelly says:

I agree that the standing ovation thing is really weird. Have they ever NOT stood up for Joshua? Yet other contestants give amazing performances lately and they don’t stand. For example, they went on and on about how stellar Skylar’s first song was, and Jennifer even said she won the first round, but they didn’t stand for her. I don’t get it!

• LibbyD says:

“Cheated?” Whatever. I thought Philip was the best of the night.

• chistosa says:

Wow. This post and others prove why there will never be consensus about the arts. What is praised by some listeners (viewers) is anathema to others. My personal opinion is that Phillip was the worst of the night. There is room for all genres and styles. People will ultimately buy music that they like to hear and go to concerts for performers they enjoy watching. For some that will be Phillip others it will be Elyse or Joshua. Different strokes for different folks and that is how it should be.

• baimun says:

Someone please explain to me how Elise does an amazing interpretation of a Hendrix tune that might not be familiar to most of the audience and it’s “too obscure” or “too outside the box”… but Phil Matthews Matthews chooses an outside Dave choice and it makes him an “Artist”? I think Slezak nailed it when he noted that you can’t get the rearranging award without a Y chromosome.

• darcy's evil twin says:

^This^ And I like both P2 and Elise. Elise interpreted “Bold as Love” and put her own spin on it – P2 just sang the DMB song note for note.
        Best line of the night came from Elise re: the Hendrix number: “I thought everybody knew that song”. Not the people that are too busy listening to Katy Perry and Rhianna, honey, but too bad for them. You done good!

• Tarc says:

Amusingingly, singing the DMB song ‘note for note’ kind of spanls some of the P2 critics around here. I’m glad he was Top 3 this week.

• KSM says:

Totally agree. The whole time I had Simon’s voice in my head saying “that was bad karaoke.” He literally just did a copycat version of Dave singing that song.

• LibbyD says:

Both of Phillip’s performances were awesome. He is going no where but to the finale.

2. Lo says:

Skylar!!! Oh my god her first song was so so good.

• Kelly1 says:

Am i the only one whos noticed skylars first performance was exactly the same as carly smithsons?!?

• takakupo says:

I thought I was the only one @____@ Yet somehow Carly wasn’t praised profusely for a much darker and more haunting take. She did the exact same run after one of the “The show must go on’s”. It was that huffy, deep breathed “Hey” just like Carly.

• jen says:

oh good lord no. I am sorry but that girl clearly had no idea what that song is about and it showed. It is a song about a man dying from aids, it should be drenched in pain and anguish and she clearly had no grasp of that. More than that her voice was thin and mediocre at best. I have no doubt that the 12 year olds on this board don’t get that but Michael you are old enough to have a clue.

• Lou says:

Absolutely jen. I love how Slezak calls out Deandre and Hollie for not understand a song meaning yet heaps the praise on Skylar when she does the EXACT SAME THING. It was clear she had no clue what the song was about.

• Syl says:

I agree. I love that song and I thought she ruined it. I don’t get the praise she got for it at all.

• ard22 says:

THANK YOU! I can’t believe all the praise Skylar was getting for that song. The emotions were totally lacking and that was all I could comment on after watching it. I found it so distracting that I didn’t even notice if the vocals were good.

• jaxguy says:

Skylar is adorable, she can sing and she is appealing, but she I don’t get how much praise she gets for what I consider good performances. When Steven and Jennifer practically crown her the winner after last night, I just don’ get it. They are desperate for a girl winner, even if it’s a repeat with a country girl. I think, they think she has the best chance of winning. I do like her but I don’t want her to win unless it’s against, the male, that for now shall remain nameless (and it’s not Josh.)

• McFudge says:

J-Lo flat out said last night that Joshua is her favorite. Something tells me that means she hopes he wins.

3. Pat says:

If you think the Stone is about being stone you need to listen to the full song. what an idiot.

• Brigette says:

I don’t know if I’d call Michael and idiot, but I do think he’s crazy for calling that amazing song “ridiculata.” Seriously? I loathe how much P2 mimics DM, yet I loved that performance. I don’t get it.

• Brigette says:

OH and I’ve never been stoned either, so yes, it is possible to enjoy that song without drugs.

• Rollin'Stoned says:

I HAVE been stoned and I thought it was God-Awful.

• Leila says:

Thanks, for the first time I’m having fun on this board on season 11.

• Tarc says:

@Leila – That’s because some more pHil haters hsowed up. Doesn’t change that he gave you comments last week a big raspberry. Plus, both songs were great. (Not that a lot of the song tonight weren’t great – they were.)

• darcy's evil twin says:

Rollin’Stoned – you get a Made Me Laugh. :-)
            I agree – I thought it was awful and I like P2.

• jaxguy says:

I swear I couldn’t watch that. His faces are irritating. It was ok. that’s it ok. HOW can people love his stuff so much. It’s very niche. He will have a very narrow audience. I will confess here and now, I didn’t care for Phillip in the auditions. He has done nothing for me to change that.

• cutiemirandy says:

If you think that’s what Michael was saying, you need to read the full paragraph. what an idiot. :)

4. Kitty says:

Phillip does the person he’s been compared to whole season (i.e. the same thing he’s been doing all season), he’s an artist. Elise rocks “Bold As Love”, Randy and Steven say it’s too obscure. I hate to use the word artistry, but the girls NEVER get credit for artistry the way the guys do. UGH. I’d be mad even if Elise wasn’t my favorite. SHE was the artist tonight!

• Marilyn says:

Agree. I couldn’t believe they gave Elise the obscure comment with a Jimi Hendrix song, and Phillip does the Dave Matthews song and it’s Phillip being Phillip. Why wasn’t it Elise being Elise?

• Tarc says:

They did dock Phillip for the odd, obscure song. It’s certianly not fair – I’d be all for more odd, obscure songs if delivered like Phil and Elise did tonight.

• Christina says:

I love how Steven contradicted his comments regarding song choice to Elise and Philip back-to-back. He gave Phillip the artistry description but threw Elise under the bus for obscurity.

• Brigette says:

Amen, you guys. Elise deserved a standing O for the Hendrix song, and she deserved a lot of praise. I was captivated. Such a performer and a pro– no one holds a candle this season as far as I’m concerned.

• Gracie Bean says:

I would like to second that “Amen”…Elise killed it tonight…have no idea what the hell Randy was talking about “attacking” the song…I listened to Jimi’s version and John Mayer’s version…the greatest difference was some vocals over the guitar solos and perhaps it was more uptempo than the original…nevertheless, I thought it was the most interesting and exciting performance of the night…on another note, loved the three-headed Jessica on the background display…had me rolling in the deep!

• Yursare says:

I don’t think you understand what rolling in the deep means. Neither does Michael, for all his Randy jokes.

• jaxguy says:

I know what “rolling in the deep” means and it was the perfect choice of words.. I loved it too!

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Wait a minute? “Rolling in the deep” actually MEANS something? I thought it was just dada-esque non-speak.

• MA says:

Third the Amen. A-MEN.

• Fan of Haley Rhinehart says:

I agree Bridgette

Elise was stellar I love the honey toned raspiness of her voice. Just incredible. My favorite of the night

• kcostell says:

If it makes you feel any better, J. Lo. did **exactly** the same thing, only in reverse.

Steven on Elise’s song choice: “You’ve got to do songs that people know. … But I loved it.”
        J.Lo on Phillip’s song choice: “A little bit too obscure, and too artsy”

Steven on Phillip’s song choice: “I love that you take chances like that”
        J. Lo on Elise’s song choice: [Steven’s comments don’t matter because] “I just think you slayed that”

• noa says:

it’s not exactly the same- because Elise did an amazing job and Phillip didn’t. and she said she agrees with Steven about “obscure” songs, but that Elise was so good that it doesn’t matter. maybe if Phillip was as good it wouldn’t matter to her either… JLo was the only one commenting on the SINGING.

• jaxguy says:

I really like Jennifer and Steven but they are so hypocritical. They double talk all the time. Jennifer critiques Jessica for not flipping her hair yet praises Skylar although she didn’t even move an inch during her Queen song. They really are bad judges.

• idolmama says:

Add to the hypocrisy of JLo…She comments how she noticed how emotional Elise became half way through the first song and then goes into a LONG lecture on how Elise needs to connect to the song. Did anyone else pick up on that?

Stephen of Jessica… Rock isn’t your style but I loved it. How can you acknowledge someone didn’t do well and then say their performance was beautiful?

• Marsaili says:

They were RIDICULOUS to tell Elise off for singing and so-called “obscure” song–and then Phillip does one and it’s great???!!! that really pissed me off, especially since Elise KILLED that song, she was so good!

• FreeHaley says:

it’s like they know she was great but they jsut can’t dare let her have a shot to make top two and heaven forbid potentially rise above their Skylar pet

at leat they gave her credit for first song and JLo actually for once again acted real and stood up for Elise second song too. Randy has just become far, far worse than useless. He was already all last season.

• TheBeach says:

I think you’re right that the judges recognize (or should) that Elise is the most fully-realized artist in the competition but they (read:Uncle Nigel) don’t think she “fits the mold” and don’t want her to win.
          And a +1000 about the useless Randy comment.

• Ladyguard says:

You have to remember. Nigel has already picked his final two out and the judges have to play along. Next year let’s get rid of Nigel, Randy, J-Lo and Randy.

• M says:

If you’re a guy on idol tackling an obscure song you get praised for it almost 100% of the time.

If you’re a girl on idol tackling an obscure song you are guaranteed to get thrown under the bus, it does not matter if you KILLED the song and just made it people love it. (Flashback to Haley’s You and I performance)

• Tarc says:

I agree that it was completely unfair to treat Phillip and Elise differently. They are always unequal in their critiques between the men and the women.

• FreeHaley says:

+infinity! and Randy said it ONE SONG later! wow. wow

• syb says:

Maddening. These judges abandoned any shred of credibility with their comments last night both positive and negative.

Elise took a huge risk with the song, made it a true original arrangement, and sang the bejeesus out of it. Golf clap from the judges. Why do they hate females who do anything but Celine? I don’t get it.

5. Jeremy says:

I thought Elise was just superb on BOTH performances; so much artistry, vocal skills and interperative ability on display that it’s insane! Skylar did quite a terrific job on “The Show Must Go On” but I didn’t like her second choice at all. On the flipside, Joshua’s second performance was wonderful, though I didn’t care for the first. Hollie turned in two solid vocals. I actually thought Jessica and Phillip were overall the weakest!

• FreeHaley says:

exactly so how on earth do they give Skylar the night with a perfect good but forgettable first song and a somewhat twangy screamy second song? Elise and Jessica did so many complex things. Joshua did better too.

and the things that really got to me was Randy dogging Elise for her artistry but praising Philip one song later for that! what??

and how do they say that everyone only had one good song when Elise had two great, Joshua certainly had two good (And they even said so), Jessica it could be argued had one great and one very good.

• TheBeach says:

Another eye roll to Randy (Mr. Give Me More Runs) for calling out Elise for over-embellishing the Hendrix song…and btw Randy, you didn’t invent the word “ginormous”.

• Jeremy says:

Yes, that was the ultimate in blatant hypocrisy. Elise’s take on Hendrix was much more daring and interesting than Phillip’s straight karaoke cover for sure. The best part of Phillip’s were the two female musicians to his left and right. I also noticed he couldn’t do his Queen performance without SIX background singers carrying him through it. Artist indeed.

• Tarc says:

That’s a bizarre statement. I agree that they were wrong with their comments to Elise, but the rest? I think it’s odd to criticise someone that’s advanced enough to actually stage an actual concerrt number…

• Ladyguard says:

and what a boring concert… hour of songs that sound the same

• Tarc says:

I guess that’s your opinion. My ears would be bleeding sixty seconds into a Joshua Ledet concert (from all the forced screeching) and I’d be dead of boredom from either of the power balladeers. While I can appreciate a good singer, a concert of those folks? Nope. I’d happy take a quite interesting Colton, Phillip, Skylar, or Elise concert anytime.

• Karen Todd says:

Skylar is the best one on the show this year…… I’m sick of the judges praising Josh And Jessica they should have sent her home when America said a Big NO to her..

• jaxguy says:

Jessica is not even in the same class vocally as the rest. You should be happy that she won’t win, but the others should take lessons from her. SHE IS FAR AND AWAY THE BEST SINGER ON THIS SHOW. So of course she won’t win. And they may praise Josh and give him standing O’s, but their praise of Jessica is so reserved that it comes across as faint. I’m watching my last few episodes of Idol. I can’t take the terrible voting that skews the winner. The crown usually goes to inferior contestants giving the top prize to mediocrity. Every season since Carrie Underwood the winner was someone else. I can name at least 5 winners who shouldn’t have won. The runner up or even 3rd and 4th place contestants were better. Taylor Hicks anyone? No less than 3 people were WAY better than him. I should have stopped watching after that debacle. I didn’t even watch the entire Lee Dywze year. It was way too painful and crappy. I think it is too late for Idol. They should have changed the voting rules years ago. But if they had, they would have lost their idiotic bragging rights that “50 Million people voted.” The truth is 5000 people voted 1000 times. And it’s mostly teenage girls. This ain’t American Idol, it’s teenage girl Idol who can power text. In such a great year it’s a shame it will have similar results.

• chistosa says:

Sorry Jaxguy but your ignorance is running rampant. First, check your math, your figures only account for 5 million votes. Secondly, who are you to declare that past winners are mediocre or should not have won? Maybe some are not to your liking but obviously they were more popular with the voting public. Which brings me to number 3. Teenage girls are not voting. They are not even watching. I teach high school and they don’t watch American Idol and they certainly don’t vote. And lastly. Your are correct that Jessica won’t win. And it is not because she is “far and away the best singer on this show.” I will concede that she is. She will not win because she is not the best performer, by a long shot. Dance with my Father was probably the first performance that she really connected with the audience. If you look up the definition of idol, it does not say “best” anything. Those performers who burn up the charts are not the best singers always. (Adele is an exception). Nicki Minaj, Keisha, Rihanna? But they put on a show. Personally I can’t tolerate of these performers but they are certainly popular and what one could call an idol. Life is not fair nor has it ever been. What sells is not always what is best. And you might consider that your opinion is only that, one opinion and worthy of respect as are all the others. So you might think about being less insulting and more respectful of individual, differing tastes in music.

• FreeHaley says:

For me it should be Elise and Jessica top two 100% for sure.

• mercedes says:

Please, these so-called “judges” are useless and are actually ruining this show. For the Queen songs Joshua got the only standing ovation (deserved or not). But when asked who was the best on Queen, Randy said Skylar. If Skylar was better, why no standing o? And the comments to Hollie, whew! JLo started talking and I went and loaded the dinner dishes into the dishwasher, stopped in the bathroom, went and poured a glass of wine and when I returned JLo was still talking to Hollie. Can someone shut her up already. I don’t get it – I don’t think there’s anyone watching who thinks these judges are worth crap, yet they brought them back, and probably will again next season.

• Leila says:

Sorry I have to agree with Randy that she kinda murdered the Hendrix song. She did great on I Want It All though, and the judges liked it.

• Static says:

I didn’t really like The Show Must Go On as much as I’d expect to when Seacrest said Skylar was going to sing it. I can’t quite pinpoint what I don’t like about it, but I do remember Amelia Lily killing that song on the UK X Factor last year and Skylar’s version paled in comparison. I’m having deja vu of Elise vs. Haley on You and I all over again. :/

• McFudge says:

I was pleasantly surprised at just the fact that Skylar’s version wasn’t a train wreck – and I love Skylar. I’d give it an A-, or maybe a B+. I disagree with what someone said upthread; I thought she was very believable and understood the song. However, the arrangement had some dead spots in it at the end of some of her phrases, and I wish she had held on to the final note longer.

6. Lunakit says:

• Frank O'File says:

• TheBeach says:

I wax hot and cold with Joshua week-to-week and have criticized his over-singing and grating “hollerating” (Slezak) and the automatic standing “O”s after every performance is ridiculous but I really enjoyed both of his performances tonight. I think PLTCL is my favorite of his whole season and I appreciated the restraint he showed on the second song.

• john says:

It’s funny how Joshua got two standing O’s yet when the judges were asked who won the first round, it was Skylar, and when asked who won the second, uh Skylar again. Nigel must have the judges’ feet wired with an electric shocker.

• Kate says:

^ That was funny. Lol

• FreeHaley says:

It’s also of note that sometimes they look so into a performance and then they go to talk and bash it and other times they seem to be barely moved while it’s going on and then praise it to all heck. A bit odd shall we say.

• Leila says:

I’m in CA just waiting for the voting time to start dialing for Joshua. I don’t usually vote, but don’t want him to risk losing for mediocre overrated Phillip.

7. 1. Jessica
    2. Phillip
    3. Joshua
    4. Elise
    5. Hollie
    6. Skylar

B3 – Jessica (will she ever get the pimp spot?), Elise, Hollie. Gone – Elise.

• JC says:

Its getting a little bit frustrating! the producers must hate her. Jessica’s “I will always love you” performance felt like a pimp slot moment but they didn’t give it to her. What does a girl have to do to get that slot? Jessica may automatically be in the bottom three because of the kiss of death slot please vote for her she was fantastic tonight :)

• Chris says:

1. Elise
      2. Hollie
      3. Joshua
      4. Skylar
      5. Phillip
      6. Jessica

• FreeHaley says:

1. Elise!!!!!
      2. Jessica!!
      3. Joshua!
      4. the rest

• SallyinChicago says:

I think Skylar is the dark horse. Joshua needs to be in the top 3. He’s a performer coming alive. I think the weakest is PP but he’s got the girl vote.

• tim says:

i felt the same way == she sings first? She almost got eliminated two weeks ago, they must really want to get rid of her. And she was so underrated today and joshua was so overrated.

• Suggestor says:

Jessica really stepped up tonight on her personal song. She interpreted a song and really connected. Completely captivated me. The Queen songs were all okay, it really doesn’t help any of the contestants because it will be by how much they do not meet the ridiculously high Freddie standard. It maybe how Producers eliminate the tighter vote getters. No one really lost mileage on these, which indicates how strong the six are this season. Nothing cringe inducing. The judges are on a mission though. Wondering if the powers that be told them not to stand for Jessica anymore because that ‘Dance With My Father’ she sang was about as good as can be. I think it got misty in this old household as well. Liked it even better than her Whitney anthem, more fragile, it’s scary what she’ll do now that she’s hitting on several cylinders.

• McFudge says:

I agree she sounded great on the song (and it was miles better than her terrible first round), but I wish Jessica had been a little more wistful on the beginning of the song, as if she was smiling at a memory. She looked like she was about to cry/was in pain from the first note. It would have been more effective to give it an emotional progression……sort of like what happens at funerals when you sit around and reminisce and tell stories about the deceased…..and then lose it when the casket closes. That would be my only critique of her.

• Suggestor says:

I thought that on the presong interview Ryan almost made her tear up and then she had to perform. I can see if she was wistful, but I think she was so emotionally attached to it that I would not trade that off.

8. Best:

• jaxguy says:

I agree with you exactly. MY exact order. And I have to give props to Hollie she was superb on both songs, but Jessica was brilliant. She has the best female voice I have heard in ages. A wonderful, beautiful singer.

9. music says:

I want Elise’s album record NOW!!!

• Lauren says:

Elise was awesome. And I did not understand Steven’s critique at all. Who the crape doesn’t know “Bold as Love”? That is one of the best Hendrix songs!

• Lauren says:

Hays definitely meant crap. Stupid auto correct.

• Static says:

I just wished they brought out an incredible guitar player because on Bold as Love the guitar play is every bit as important as the vocal performance. Still think Elise slayed the hell outta that song, though.

• TheBeach says:

I would buy Elise’s record in a heartbeat. I just hope the producer lets it be “her” CD and not some idolized version of what they think it should be.

10. shelbybb says:

If you want to see an amazing Idol doing a Queen song, go to YouTube and watch Adam Lambert singing with Queen at the EMA’s last fall….. EPIC is all I can say!

** I’ll talk about this seasons Idols and Queen later :)

11. After reading this, I find it hard to believe you’ve never been stoned, cause I would swear you were while watching this show. I never heard any performances on Idol that sounded more like actual amateur karaoke than these kids trying to sing Queen. Two or three of the other songs were just OK. Very disappointed in you, Michael.

12. Name That Tune says:

Can’t decide who goes Hollie (boring safe & predictable) or P2. It wasn’t a stellar night for.Skylar either but I think she is safe.

13. Kyle says:

Loved every performance! I just have to say skylar completely stole her arrangement of “th show must go on” from carly smithson season 7. Note for note, even though carly didn’t hit all hers haha. GOOO HOLLIIEEE!

• IdolFan says:

That would be Michael Orland’s arrangement, recycled.

• Kyle says:

Yeahh i know.. i just remember michael pointing out that heejun used the same exact arrangement as elliot yamin in a song for you, which was alot less similar to skylar and carlys, but never mentioned it tonight.

14. gailer says:

Funny blog, Michael. More enjoyable than the show! I have no favorite.

Jessica still bores me. Joshua is overrated. I think Skylar sings off key. I think the best singer is actually Hollie. I think Elise will go home, just because someone has to.

15. Art says:

I enjoy P2’s “The Stone”. It’s not what everyone would listen to, but it was very well done and the kind of eclectic stuff I really enjoy. I also loved Joshua’s “Ready for Love” although I don’t think I’d every buy an album by him. Holly did “The Climb” beautifully. I am actually worried a bit about Jessica. She has so much talent but today I didn’t ‘get’ her for the second week. Her first song had no enunciation and the words should be beautiful.

• TheBeach says:

I wondered if P2 doing a DMB song was his way of flipping his middle finger at all the Dave Matthews clone criticism. He’s got his lovers and his haters but I’ve got to admit I think his sly sense of humor is hilarious.

• Tarc says:

I think both songs kinda were. In the first, he did a song that was *nothing* like DMB, used his straight chest voice, but upped it an octive (like DM). Then he followed it up with a stright up clone of DM. It was kinda brilliant.

16. Carmen says:

Michael, you slobbering all over Skylar is getting vomit inducing. Her Queen performance was indeed good but it was not even the best performance of the night, let alone the season. You latch onto someone early on and then completely lack objectivity from there on out.

• Sandi says:

If he sickens you so much, go read elsewhere. I don’t agree with him all that much either but it’s called an opinion. Try not to vomit when someone doesn’t share yours.
      By the way, most of us pick a favorite early on. And I believe last year he went from strongly disliking Haley to effusively praising her so your theory doesn’t hold water.

• Nedsdag says:

Not as vomit inducing as his Elise love. As usual, she sings a great first song, but tanks the second song. I don’t know if she’s going home tomorrow, but it’s only a matter of time (two week max) before she finally goes home.

• Paul says:

He has Elise ranked #5 on his list out of 6 singers. I’d hardly call that “Elise love.” He also barely has mentioned her on Idology for several weeks. The editor Jason has had to wedge her in. Just saying.

• HaleyWasRobbed says:

If it makes you feel any better his favorites never win.

17. Karen O says:

Can they 6-way tie?!?! I don’t even like all of them but I liked all of them. Queen songs have a high level of difficulty but this season’s contestants pulled them off beautifully. What a night.

• dan says:

I agree with you, the top six are all pretty good. I could see any of them making it to the top three, I have no idea who the winner will be. I don’t love any of them, but I think they’re all great. I guess Idol did a good job this year of finding talent.

• Jaime says:

I agree with you. This is the most even season of Idol ever. They are all pretty darn good. I guess I have locked on a favorite, but I can’t really hate on any of them.

• T_T says:

I agree on every word you guys said. :) I have my dream top 2 (not gonna say because I might jinx it) but I won’t be disappointed at all if they don’t land in the finals because all 6 deserve to be on top.

18. rod says:

Amazing show today. Hollie, Skylar and Joshua were my favs tonight, i dont think AI should allow doing the same song twice in the competition also Dance with my father is not really that good of a song, and P2 doing what he always does, a cover of Dave Matthews band

• TheBeach says:

Yeah, I put “Dance with my Father” in the same maudlin category as “Wind Beneath My Wings”…and twice in one season is twice too many.

• Suggestor says:

How about P2 singing a song that was IN the medley!? Jessica’s song choice didn’t bother me the least bit, several of them have sung other’s songs and this one sounded really personal to her. Jermaine who? :(

19. Sandi says:

I’m just pondering whether there’s absolutely anything Josh could do to not get a standing ovation. What if he passed out? My guess is that they’d still get up for him.
    They can tell Jessica that she’s just sang a song better than the original artist but they’ll do it in an even-toned, semi-bored tone that will garner no enthusiasm and most likely convince her fans that there’s no reason to worry about her. I call Jessica going home although I sure hope I’m wrong. If she does go, I really don’t know if I can watch anymore.

• FreeHaley says:

How do Joshua (he did well though) and Hollie, especially, get a standing O and Elise and Jessica don’t? Madness!

• Layla says:

Can’t even figure that out myself. The judges basically told Jessica she KILLED that Luther song and then sat there. She did everything people have been asking of her. PURE emotion and straight from the heart. “Another GREAT performance, but wonder what Joshua’s doing?”

• Sandi says:

Because the rule is Joshua must always get a standing ovation. He could get on stage, scratch himself and pass gas and they simply must stand up for him.
        No disrespect intended towards Joshua. He’s not my cup of tea but he’s undeniably talented. The level of praise they give him, though, compared to what they give someone like Jessica who is phenomenal makes no sense to me. No way this guy becomes a pop star. I can’t see it at all.

• RodMod says:

“[Joshua] could get on stage, scratch himself and pass gas and they simply must stand up for him.”
          LMAO!!!! HAhaha!!

• Sookie says:

I agree with you Sandi. Joshua is undeniably talented but unless someone does a miraculous makeover I cannot picture him as a pop star either.

Also agree with the over praising. LOL

• TheBeach says:

I think the judges’ chairs are electrified and at the end of every Joshua song, Nigel pull the switch.

• FreeHaley says:

After Jessica did crazy things with her voice and Elise rocked it out and did tricky stuff to they give it played it safe and wasn’t even her best night at all Skylar?

• TC says:

Did you ever think Josh keeps getting the standing ovations because he deserves them? Simply, he’s amazing on all levels

• Lunakit says:

• Sandi says:

Well, no actually, I don’t think he’s amazing on all levels. But you’re welcome to your opinion. Actually, what bothers me is the fact that they sit and look bored for other performances (JESSICA) that I think are at least as good.

• Tom says:

No he is good but not that amazing … Its that people dont hear the gospel singers all the time and get a rise when they do because its so refreshing and different from 90% of the crap we hear today… if this were gospel Idol he would be fighting for his life ..

• rd1991 says:

YES TO THIS! I think hes a great singer with a fantastic career ahead of him but, correct me if im wrong, 6+ times in a row is just ridiculous for anyone. They sing praises for Jessica and Skylar but no standing Os? And Elise, although she is my least favorite, absolutely nailed her Queen song so if any should of got a standing O it was her. So fed up of it now, they should enforce a standing ovation ban asap!

• TheBeach says:

I remember Simon very rarely standing up an entire season and the few times he did meant something. Now it’s just another standing “o”.

• Tarc says:

Joshua’s Queen number was the worst of the season. It was horrible and screamy – totally unlistenable. I throw him to the bottom just for that.

• Karen Todd says:

Jessica is way overrated She did an awful job on the Queen song tonight….. She Looks like a 12 year old trying to act 21….. past time for her to go home…. The judges should have kept their save for someone alot better…

• Suggestor says:

Karen you should just read previous weeks comment sections on all the SAVE stuff, it has been addressed quite well. Jessica took on one of the toughest Queen songs that the producers put thru the editing cuisinart and still made a pleasurable go at it. Imagine anyone else but possibly Elise singing this and it would be much much worse. Thought she rocked it at the end, quite spunky actually. I don’t believe Queen ages well with the Idols, as each year passes the audience and singers are too young for the most part to relate to the time Queen broke in. The context of the music industry of that period made Queen stand out. You had a true vocalist that could rise above guitar gods. Any idol this time would be in over their heads but Jessica god bless her, she’s got such talent that she made sense of the patchwork Frankenstein arrangement given to her.

20. Ladyguard says:

I do not get Skylar at all. I think she yells most of the time and turns everything into a really bad country song.

• gailer says:

Agreed. I think the judges are so afraid of the dropping ratings that they are ignoring what is really going on that stage. If she wins, just change the name of the show to Nashville Idol already.

• William Watkins says:

Both of you obviously know nothing about music AND need to get your ears cleaned out.

• Tina says:

I guess I need my ears cleaned too cause I cannot stand her. She is by far the worst singer there. She should have left instead of Colton.

• Name That Tune says:

I totally agree about the shouting from Skylar. Tattoo was just.bad country. Might bethe end of her Idol run

21. J says:

SKYLAR AND ELISE!!! These two ladies are beyond amazing tonight!!! Not only did they dominate in both of their respective performances, they were front and center during the Queen medley.

Hollie, girl keep it up!

This is the best season of Idol. I just love everyone. Even Phillip grew on me.

• Kitty says:

I’m with you. I’m hoping for an Elise-Skylar top 2. There hasn’t been an all-girl top 2 since season 3. Let’s make it happen!

• MA says:

That would be AWESOME!

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I loved, loved, loved both Skyler & Elise’s Queen performances tonight…& the medley!! Those were a couple of my top 5 or 10 favorites from the whole season. There were a lot of other strong performances tonight that I’m going to go back & listen to again (Josh’s “Ready for Love” was great… Jess’s Bohemian Rhapsody), but I’m stuck on those two tonight though.

22. JVC says:

Please, please, please. Don’t let it be jessica who goes home. I would pick hollie or phil to go, but it not might happen. Then again, I didn’t Colton was going home and he was sent packing, this is most unpredictable season yet.

• Sandi says:

My two favorites from the start were Colton and Jessica. I had a bad feeling for him last week and he ended up going home. This week I have a bad feeling for Jessica. :(. There’s no one left for me to champion once she goes. I guess I’m going to have force myself to like Skylar and Phil Phil more cause there’s sure as heck no way I’m ever going get into Elise or Josh.

• Leo says:

Are you my long-lost twin? I’ve been in Jessica’s and Colton’s train since the start of the show and I’m really sad that Colton got home last week. And now, the judges are giving Jessica, “Hey, you’re great but we don’ t care” treatment and I’m sad for her.

• Suggestor says:

Jessica really shared a moment and a personal message via song to her father. Judges were complimentary but looks like they are duct taped to their seats when she sings from now on. Maybe once judges rush the stage you lose the Standing O reward. For me, it was insulting after the kid sang her heart out for them to just sit there waiting for Joshua to show up.

• sam says:

Same here, i dreamed of a colton/jessica finale, now i hope for a philip/jessica finale.

23. Amely says:

Am I the only one who think that Jessica murdered Bohemian Rhapsody and not in a good way? I know that there’s no way someone could do that song justice in what little time they have to sing but I thought she was off-pitch sometimes and her vibrato was not appropriate. But I agree with Michael that she did good on the rock part of the song. A little too much vibrato for my taste but still did good.

• Owen says:

Jessica is very rarely off-pitch (the only other Idol who is so very constant with pitch is Joshua). The way they cut up that song there’s really no way for anyone to murder it, its already murdered by the time it starts being rehearsed. I’m just mad at her for choosing it. Stupid, stupid stupid.

• Marsaili says:

they cut up that song so badly—why didn’t they have her do the first 2 verses and then end with “Nothing really matters…….to me” That would have been much better for her and she wouldn’t have had to go into the “rock” part==which she isn’t a rock singer—but I thought she did it well. I blame the song arrangement. I thought Elise was going to do this—however I LOVED the song Elise picked!

• TheBeach says:

What is BoRap, like 15 minutes long? You can NOT cut that song down to 90 seconds. That’s a travesty and it shouldn’t have even been on their list of available songs.

• banana says:

That arrangement was just horrid. Bohemian Medley! Ugh. The second transition in particular was just awkward and nearly stalled the song. I had the impression the band weren’t feelin’ the love for the arrangement either. Jessica did the best she could with it.

• ejones says:

The ultimate BoRhap performance in a reality show was by Rockstar’s Suzie McNeil and she was given 3′ 30″. Jessica’s performance was so disjointed and her voice was too thin and soprano, listen to Suzie’s much deeper stronger voice which is what the song needs

• Layla says:

Jessica focused on the softer harmonies and lyrical qualities as much as the heavy rock part which is how Queen stood out for me when I first heard this song. During that time, the rock gods were at full force and Queen showed they could lay in some beauty. I think if Jessica went to heavy it would not be in her wheelhouse nor would do the song justice. She more than made up for it with her “Dance With My Father”, WOW! that song will only keep getting better the more I listen to it. She layered it with such nuance and it never felt overdone.

• Chris says:

No you aren’t. She absolutely butchered the song. Everything about that sucked.

• Suggestor says:

I liked every second of it. The problem lies with producers putting that up amongst a limited number of Queen songs. They should have opened it up to more choices, but was pleasantly surprised that even cut up, she kept it moving, added her touch to it. That song has so many transitions that I was smiling she made it look so easy going from to the other.

24. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Maybe this is what happens when everyone is so consistently good for so long, or maybe the obsession I’ve been feeding since 6th grade is finally starting to wear off (I’m 18 now), but I have to admit, the flame is shrinking. I can’t make up my mind about anything anymore; if it weren’t for all the blogs I follow I would have no opinion about this show whatsoever. I’m voting long and hard for Jessica, Skylar, Elise and Hollie tonight, but ultimately, I couldn’t care less about how this season plays out. Just get to the finale already, declare a winner, let me indulge in the over 100 iTunes recordings I’ll have by the end of the season, and let me graduate and move on with my life (while trying to follow Season 12 during my first spring semester. Wish me luck.)

25. Jessica says:

I vote based on whose album I would buy. Elise got all my votes tonight. I love DMB and The Stone is one of my fav’s of theirs, but it’s just not the kind of song you can cut up into a minute and a half and Phil really didn’t bring anything new to it. I love that he chose that song, but it just paled in comparison to the original. I’ve been on the fence with P2, mostly because I love DMB and he is so much like Dave, but he didn’t impress me tonight. I’m curious what his original stuff would sound like.

• noa says:

agree 100%. The Stone is one of my favorite DMB songs (and they’re probably me favorite band), but he didn’t do anything to it except make it shorter- which hurt the song. Elise was amazing. what she did to Bold As Love was amazing. i can’t stop listening to it.

26. Donna says:

I’m appalled to find myself agreeing with Randy – Elise’s Axis Bold As Love was almost unrecognizable, and I’m old enough to know all of Hendrix albums. I came in late and I had zero idea what she was singing. As he said, too much information. Yes she did a great job, but the tiny teen texters aren’t going to care about that. Joshua’s Ready for Love was breath-taking. Not sure the tiny teen texters are ready for that either. It’s getting go be a real toss up.

• HudsonRiverside says:

I was actually looking forward to Elise’ Hendrix cover thinking she’d do a John Mayer take on it but better. She didn’t, it sounded disjointed and uninspired.

• J. May says:

“I thought everybody knew this song.” This kind of Idol naivete will get her booted. I chalk it up to her being 7 years older than the next oldest contestant, P2, as well as being less able/willing to adapt to Idol’s key demographic demands.

27. Debbie M says:

I am so ready for Philip to go home. The world already has a Dave Matthews but thanks anyway.

28. idol2012 says:

Anyone else get the feeling during the video packages that the contestants don’t like each other? Besides a few exceptions the way the were making fun of each other just didn’t seem as light hearted as it has in past years.

29. HudsonRiverside says:

JLo wanted Jessica to swing her head around, but she forgets this is one of the hardest songs to sing in Queens catalog! Jessica took on the song others would have had a tough time on. Really NO ONE ran around the stage, because Freddie Mercury mostly did that in between phrases, he would actually set his feet and belt out the tough notes taking on that classic FM posture. JLo doesn’t know how that feels.
    Jessica’s second song was one of her most heart felt performances this season, because it was so personal. Barely even remember Jermaine’s Vandross-Lite cover. Jessica made this her own and I watched alongside several people who were wiping away tears. Military families will be downloading this one. She hit it out of the ballpark. Glad that they did a segment on Jessica having to go to school as well. Michael I also agree, what’s with all the Joshua standing O’s? Great that Skylar pointed out he’s had 12. I’m glad Hollie got one. Really enjoyed how the Idols know one another so well and it was great that P2 goofed on all the SAVE whiners. He’s one of my faves and he has a healthy perspective. :)

30. Pat says:

Elise killed it tonight!!!

31. FreeHaley says:

As I said on the other thread, Elise rocked the s out of it!!!! yeah
    Jessica did really well too, really came alive this week! A strong second.
    Joshua did very well too. A nice third.

Those three really separated themselves from the rest this week.

32. FreeHaley says:

But man Elise is gonna need us to vote, dial like mad non-stop. Doesn’t matter she rocked the night I fear she could easily go home anyway with how it goes. Vote like mad.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I put in about 220 for her tonight. Earlier in the season, I wouldn’t be worried after something as strong as “I Want It All” especially, but there were a lot of really good performances tonight.

33. Davey says:

I have to disagree with Michael about Skylar’s first song which was totally forgettable and Jessica’s second song which was just right. I think Michael needs to be sent to the doctor for his Skylar craziness. Her second song sounded exactly the same as she sound in week 13.

• FreeHaley says:

+1 her first song wsa not bad, but totally whatever while everyone else but the in pain Philip brought it and Hollie utterly brought it.

Jessica ran rings around her with the stuff she did vocally, it’s not even funny and Elise man Elise she just rocked that! Insanity to claim an average Skylar there was best even of the first set nevermind the night never mind the season????

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I’m going to have to disagree w/ you about Skyler’s 1st performance, Davey. I’m an Elise fan, and IMO Skylers “The Show Must Go On” was pretty bad a$$…. my 2nd fave of the night after Elise’s “I Want It All”.

34. FreeHaley says:

“Skylar Laine: “The Show Must Go On” I’ll leave this one to my incredibly patient husband: “Why am I rewinding this for the third time when you’re going to be playing it on repeat all week long?” I dunno, hon. But watch me go out on a limb and declare this THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SEASON!”

Of the season?? It wasn’t even her best and her best hasn’t been the magic of say Jessica’s best tonight or Elise’s best tonight alone!

Wow I think Nigel got plastic surgery to look like Slezak hah.

35. Renda says:

I thought everyone was great tonight. If I had to pick the weakest person, I’d say P2. Am I the only one who wished he would’ve done The Space Between? It would’ve shown a softer more melodic side of him. I honestly don’t know if I should vote at all because I want to vote for 5/6 of them.

• J says:

Phillip was the least impressive. He was not horrible, but not on par with the others. “The Space Between” would have been a perfect song. Ugh, too bad he didn’t grab the opportunity.

36. Bryce says:

Skylar is getting better and better every week, I really underestimated her. Elise, Jessica, and Hollie did really good tonight too, hopefully America gets it right this week.

37. Kate says:

Jessica was awesome tonight. It’s so unfair that not only has she never been given the pimp spot, she was also placed in the kiss of death spot tonight! I hope she doesn’t go home!

38. FreeHaley says:

“Jessica Sanchez: Luther Vandross’ “Dance With My Father” No doubt she sang this well, but is there a more painful slice of pablum than this ballad (which already was sung by Jermaine Jones earlier in Season 11)? Song choice alone might put Jessica at risk of elimination for the second time in three weeks.”

??? This might have been her most felt and perfect performance of the season!

• Owen says:

I don’t even have to make with my own Slezak hate this year, y’all are doing it for me!! I’m almost sorta feeling sorry for him…

• NedPepper says:

I like Slezak. I’ve followed his Idol recap for years. He picks his favorites. The problem is he usually has better taste…I don’t get his Skylar infatuation at all….I think she’s middle of the pack, to be honest. I could live with an Elise, Josuha, and Skylar final three, though. But you could probably replace Skylar with Jessica and I’d be fine with that too. She’s just run of the mill country. Only time Skylar comes alive is when she doesn’t scream twang out a lame country song. When they make her sing a melody, she has a great voice. But winner of the show? No way.

• Tarc says:

I’m not a real country fan, but Skylar was best of the night tonight. Joshua put out a total travesty, and the the best song he’s done so far. Elise was… decent, but had an oddball song (I had to go play the original and then listen to the Idol playback to even get what Elise was doing with the song – which I hated at first, but liked after a few listens). Phil and Elise are miles more ready to record than the others.

• HudsonRiverside says:

Jessica’s second song was one of her most emotionally connected one. Probably one of the top three songs she’s sung this season.

• em says:

I have to agree with Slezak on this. I do not like Luther’s Dance With My Father and I’ve never enjoyed any cover (on Idol or elsewhere) of it. I can admit when something is a great performance, but the songs themselves often do affect my judgement. Same thing happened with The Climb tonight.

39. Marilyn says:

Most seasons I pick one I love, like last year it was Haley, and I find reasons to not like the rest, but these are all so likable. Of course, Elise did the best tonight, but they are all really good singers. Didn’t like the Phillip’s take on DMB, but he was great on the Queen song. Only one, I thought the judges overrated tonight was Joshua. Maybe, he really shines life, but I didn’t like the second song. So

Jessica ( and that’s probably because she is always so good and clear; amybe she peaked a little too early)

40. FreeHaley says:

How was it that JLo largely returned to her sensible self from the first week or two of last season for the most part (other than a bit crazy with overpraise for Skylar and how did the judges stand for Joshua and Hollie and yet not for Elise and Jessica?!?!???!)?

41. FreeHaley says:

Wow Randy man. WTH? You dog Elise for an obscure song and blah blah blah and then ONE SONG LATER you praise the heck out of Philip for being all obscure and how that makes him such an artist!
    Wow man wow.

It seems maybe they want Skylar their for the audience base and then against Joshua and then an easy win for Skylar. Feels like they are trying to set that up. oh well

42. justin says:

best top six ever. time for phillip to move on. he’s great on his own but he makes the competition boring.

43. Ashly says:

Why did Skylar not get a standing ovation? The Show Must Go On was the best performance of the night and she got nothing (insert sad face).

Overall, I felt the first half of the show was much stronger than the second half with the exception of Hollie. Sadly, I feel like Phillip is slipping for me. I really enjoyed his performances at the start, but now I don’t feel like there’s enough variety. I still enjoy watching him talk, but his song choices have left much to be desired. I’d like to hear him do a Johnny Cash song.

Elise did great on I Want It All, but I felt the Hendrix song was like that boat ride on the old school Willy Wonka movie, a little scary and trippy. All said and done, Elise is amazing and I want her in the bottom two.

• KeeponChooglin says:

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ashly says:

Correction – not bottom two, final two

• FreeHaley says:

“like that boat ride on the old school Willy Wonka movie, a little scary and trippy.”

yeah, kinda like Hendrix though

• Davey says:

Skylar didn’t get a SO because she didn’t deserve it, just like Joshua didn’t deserve two.

• TheBeach says:

To tell ya the truth, I’ve enjoyed Skylar’s performances on non-country songs but that on the country ones….weird.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

That was funny. Yeah, when I heard she was doing that song, I was excited she was doing Hendrix, but wished she’d have picked one that was more bluesy less trippy (or maybe somewhere in between like Are You Experienced or Little Wing), and wondered how she was going to pull it off w/o taking Alice to Wonderland.

44. Sarah says:

6. Jessica
    5. Hollie
    4. Joshua
    3. Phillip
    2. Skylar
    1. Elise

• takakupo says:

To have Philip anywhere near the #2 spot let alone the top 3 is a travesty and completely annihilates all credibility.

• Tarc says:

Well, being a Phil hater every week eliminates your credibility. There are multiple lists on the blog that has Phil in the top half. And you gotta know he’ll never go home tomorrow.

• takakupo says:

Honestly, I don’t have to listen to his performances because I don’t watch the live shows. I take it upon myself to put his videos on every week so I can have some sort of objective opinion and he is just the same, no-note hitting, no-melody following Phil week after week. We all have our favorites but Philip is only coasting on his looks at this point. Not one of his songs last night was in tune or stylistically interesting. Not to mention the fact that he looked pained in the first performance and sounded like he was doing a lullaby in the second. He’s just in a bracket far below the rest of the top 6. He’s not a singer.

45. MA says:

My god…Elise is absolutely spectacular. Randy can eat my dirty gym socks.

46. KeeponChooglin says:

Nice assessment tonight, Michael. Thought you were spot on.

47. Joe says:

Skylar won the night. I believe everything that girl sings. Her performances are some of the best on Idol I can remember. She’s consistently great week after week and her voice goes places I didn’t think it could go.
    Josh is also one of the best Idol contestants ever on the show. I didn’t love the 2nd song he sang mostly because I couldn’t figure out what song it was. That said, he is the male Fantasia. If we get a Josh/Skylar finale, it will blow the roof off the place.
    Jessica sang great tonight, but it’s still not clicking for me.
    Elise also had a great night. The Hendrix cover was a little tough but she sang the snot out of it. She killed the Queen song too. She was in a great place tonight.
    Hollie should’ve had a moment on Queen’s Save Me but the arrangement was not as guitar heavy as it needed to be in the chorus. That said, she was a completely different performer on The Climb. I believed her there and I was really moved by it.
    That said, I’m rooting for a Skylar/Josh finale with a Skylar/Josh/Elise final 3. Those 2 weeks back to back would be legendary.

• KeeponChooglin says:

Agreed, Joe!!!!!!!!!

• Marsaili says:

I totally agree, I think Skylar and Elise were the tops and Joshua in a very close third. Jessica made me cry with her second song, it was awesome but I didn’t like Bohemian Rhapsody—but it wasn’t her fault, the arrangement SUCKED! Phillip didn’t do it for me tonight, I’m scared for him. I liked both of Hollie’s songs–but I don’t know if she’s gonna stay around.

48. Christina says:

I like Joshua but I feel that standing ovation’s are going to hurt more than help in the end, however I do think he will be standing at the top three because he deserves it. However on the other end Jessica is still being boring and is not doing anything to excite the audience. She could possibly be the one going tomorrow night.

Skylar’s first performance was great but her second performance was just another generic country song. She shouldn’t be singing songs like this. She should sing songs that show off her voice and her energy level. This wa just boring.

Elise killed the first song and while the second song was obscure she did slay it however I do think it’s obscurity will do her in and she is the most at risk this week.

Hollys first song didn’t hit the mark but my the second song was right inher wheelhouse and probably was enough to save her for another week.

And finally Phillip. For someone who has been compared to Dave Matthews all season why would you go there. He needs stray as far away as he can from Dave Matthews as possible however he went there tonight and in my mind he deserves the boot but of course he won’t get it

• Yo' says:

I can’t get over how good a singer Elise is. What a voice; she had a stellar night and she knew it, she radiated it.

• Tarc says:

I guess it’s my thought that he was screwing with his detractors. She has that sly sense of humor that would have him do a ‘as far from DMB’ Queen song (straight up, no growl), and then a DMB clone. If I had to bet I’d say that was quite deliberate.

49. Yo' says:

MIchael Slezak. Hon. We knew the Sister Marie Claire reference had to be personal.

50. Vic says:

How many contestant will be eliminated ?

• Frank O'File says:

I think only one…despite the “save”, they’re ahead of the game because of that guy who got booted for his criminal record at the beginning of the season.

• Name That Tune says:

One. Finale is May 22 & 23. SYTYCD starts May 24. Do the math – that’s one per weekto go home.