Idology: Who Should've Paid to Save Colton? And Is Phillip Season 11's Only True 'Artist'?

With no Judges’ Save in the mix, someone had to walk the plank on last week’s American Idol results show. But if it wasn’t Colton Dixon’s time for an exit — as Season 6 standout Melinda Doolittle and I argue on this week’s Idology — then which of his six rivals should’ve wound up dead in the water?

Press play below as Melinda and I tackle this tough question, and take umbrage with Randy Jackson’s argument that Phillip Phillips is Season 11’s one true artist. Plus, we dish the non-musical moment that may have secured P2 a spot in the finale, catch a Joshua Ledet snafu that went unnoticed by the judges, and (in subtitle form) debate whether or not Elise Testone is a “real person.”

So do enjoy this week’s Idology, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Jeff says:

Man oh man slezak. We are usually on the same page as far as favorites go (Haley) but this season we are not even close. Honestly if I were Phil I wouldn’t even want to do the interview with you. He’s called the only real artist because he’s the only one that knows how to change a song and make it his own. Everyone always says his performances sound the same but doesn’t every artists songs sound similar because of the genre? Anyways I also loved Jessica in try a little tenderness. I though it was fiery and pitch perfect. Phil and Jessica in the finale mark it down idc who wins as long as those 2 are in the finale.

• jessica says:

i completely agree. He has played original songs on his news station in georgia so hes all ready to go with his own songs.

• jake says:

I think his songs sound the same, until last week. Colton was called a real artist as well, the only reason that Randy brings it up is because he is so overt about not conforming or taking advice from anyone.

• C says:

Not every artists’ songs sound similar–not by a long shot. Just as an example, look at Queen, this week’s theme. What is Queen’s sound–“Somebody to Love” or “Another One Bites the Dust”? “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” or “Bohemian Rhapsody”? “Who Wants to Live Forever” or “We Will Rock You”? Were the Beatles “Yesterday” or “Helter Skelter”? Think about it.

• Tarc says:

And these example songs are from multiple albums done over decades. They aren’t all cover songs done from a VERY limited selection list in the span of 13 (or whatever), when they are given less than three days from song selection to performance. The Idol kids are extremely hampered – especially the ones that write their own material.

• Tarc says:

I agree – If I were Phil, I’d not do an interview with Slezak either. He hasn’t been even remotely fair, and there are plenty of other press opportunites.

2. jessica says:

We all have are favorites but I cant stand to bash a fellow contestant that i dont like. all they did was try out, made it through hollywood and las vegas, until they got to americas vote. its not there fault they are still there. they all practice extremely hard every week. good luck to all six of them. whoever wins, whether they have the best voice or not, congrats. you deserved it.

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Thank you! Finally, someone willing to break through this mold of hate. I don’t think the Idols ever appreciate someone talking trash about their castmates.

• Marsaili says:

I second that—I was just pointing out to sk8rboi (Or however he spells it) that it’s not about hating. You can dislike a contestant, dislike their look or their sound—but the sit at the computer and rip them to shreds and go about making up completely untrue stuff about them is just wrong–and I have a habit of pointing that out (and not just for people who “hate” Phillip). I don’t like the music Jessica sings, it’s not my thing, so I won’t be buying any Jessica albums. I don’t think she’s ready to win. But I don’t HATE her, I don’t think that there is anything WRONG with her, I don’t think she’s some of the things that people have accused her of being—she’s a 16 year old girl, she doesn’t even know herself yet! I just can’t stand how mean some of the people here are when speaking of these contestants! It’s really disheartening to hear how mean people can be.

3. Lee says:

Didn’t want to read all of these to see if this was said already, so forgive the repetition if it was…

The problem isn’t the save, it is the mode of voting. Eliminate America’s Vote determining the winner/loser. Make it one of 5 votes, with best of 5 winning/losing.

Give a vote each to Randy, JLo, Steven and Jimmy and give America’s vote 1/5th of the power.

What does it mean? It means that America’s Teenage Girls don’t call the shots and that the judges get the credit/blame for – GASP – doing their jobs. If the judges are involved in the decision, there is no need for a save and America’s Teenage Girls don’t get so much power. They still get to vote and be an important part of the process they just aren’t driving the process.

Imagine the drama when Ryan announces the vote and says “and going home this week, with the tie-breaking vote cast by YOU, America, is…”

Just a modest proposal…

• Alexandra says:

Except that I think Randy et al act more like teenagers than I think many of the voters do. If you get decent judges, then I think the idea has merit.

• Templar says:

The judges would not vote their preference, they would vote Nigel’s preference as they are contractually obligated to do. The only way to make things fair is to limit the number of votes per electronic device [phone, text, computer]. Teen girls will still vote for WGWG, but the rest of us could vote just as much for the talented singers.

• Marsaili says:

Which means I’ll be voting for the WGWG. Not a teen, haven’t been one in 30 years and I know music. Phillip has it all—-and he plays the music I prefer and he does a damn good job of it! The fact that he is a WGWG has nothing to do with it. That’s YOUR bag.

• Joe says:

FYI to anyone reading; Marsaili = Marshall to anyone who follows these boards. They’re the same person. They even posted the same exact post in the last go round under 2 different user names. They stalk and troll these boards to protect Phillip and bash anyone who criticizes him. Don’t waste your time responding to anything either of them write.

• Marsaili says:

No, dumbbutt, you are the only person who calls me Marshall—there hasn’t been a Marshall on the boards. And you stalk me constantly–trying to make it look the opposite, but whatever–everyone has your number, I really don’t give a crud what you say about me, you aren’t anyone important to me—just a troll on a message board who has been called out by many people, many times—and for some reason you’ve decided to target me. Whatever. When you grow up, you will (hopefully) see the error of your ways. Oh, and this is rich coming from the person that attacks anyone who doesn’t think like you do, LOL! I just have to laugh—and move on…… I have more decent conversations on this board in one hour than you do all week—so troll on, Joeyboy.

• FreeHaley says:

maybe they posted the same thing…. because that was the SAME post!

maybe a bit less grog will keep the double vision away ;)

• Joe says:

Oh Marsala, you little scamp…what am I going to do with you?

• Marsaili says:

I have to admit, I like it better when you call me Marsala, rather than Marshall. At least Marsala is yummy. Marshall is so—male! And I am clearly a female.

• Tarc says:

Hey, isn’t that what I posted to you a few weeks back on several boards? Joe/ joe/ jospehp… / cup of joe ?

• Templar says:

@Marsaili With all due respect, how does that invalidate my stand on limiting the voting policy?

• Marsaili says:

Templar, I don’t think I was responding to your post. But since I haven’t yet found the original post or my reply, I’m not exactly sure—one I hit post comment, it’ll go there and THEN I will give you are reply ;-)

• Marsaili says:

Woops, I was responding to you! It doesn’t invalidate your stand on voting policy, as a matter of fact, now that I have read your post again, what I responded with indicates that I didn’t read your post thoroughly. I agree with you on the limiting voting policy—but as I am not a teen, I would still vote for WGWG if I thought he was the best because that is the music I prefer. sorry for the confusion!

• Tarc says:

And teen girls buy a lot of the music, so why shouldn’t they vote predominantly? They vote for their favorites are are inclinded to buy the artists when the music comes out.

• FreeHaley says:

One interesting thing is that on The Voice, the ranking in which contestants scored for iTunes votes didn’t always match the overall voting results. Last week, for one team, the order was flipped 1,2,3 to 3,2,1. So power voting may not match actual real world purchasing.

• FreeHaley says:

Ugh. You do realize Haley would’ve been gone like top 12 with that system? And Elise like too. Randy and JLo (Nigel) voting would be worse than infinite power text voting to the public.

• Sandi says:

This might be an interesting proposal if there were better judges. Also, I think that this format would hand the crown to Joshua right now. I’m not okay with that..

4. Breanna says:

It’s too bad Colton got kicked off last week’s… He would have done better than anyone else this week singing anything Queen. I could see him playing piano and doing a beautiful cover of “Who Wants To Live Forever”. It’s too bad he’s not here anymore :(

• Angela says:

I know. I would’ve loved to see him do, well, pretty much any Queen song, but I think “Don’t Stop Me Now” would’ve been amazing. Joshua was the only person this week who I really thought did well, but Colton would’ve blown the others away with a Queen cover.

5. ck says:

Michael,

Like you, I was vacillating between Phil and Colton as far my favorite WGWG this season and had recently turned the corner is Colton’s favor. However, I don’t agree with your analysis on why Colton was eliminated. His mistake was taking on “Bad Romance” from Gaga as he’s mentioned this in post elimination interviews.

Even though he changed up the song to avoid some of the controversial lyrics, 460 + million Youtube hits suggests most people know what it’s about. Colton presented himself as a Christian musician so taking on this song did little to ingratiate him to his core fan base. Plus, fans of Gaga, and they are many, probably didn’t appreciate him neutering her song.

I very much enjoy your Idology segments with Melinda and look forward to following the rest of the season with you two. BTW, love your t-shirt!

6. Davey says:

Skylar barely strummed the guitar. Her head is getting so big with self-satisfaction it’s sickening. Can’t wait till she is eliminated–maybe next week. We all know she’s getting a record deal and an appearance on all the Country Music Award shows next season. I’ll never buy her music.

7. Davey says:

I really think the reason Phillip is making those weird faces when he sings is because he’s still suffering from some illness.

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

The kidney stones are still plaguing him. Earlier this week his mother sent out a request for prayers for him to help him get through the pain. Poor guy…I can’t imagine how that must hurt. I hope it doesn’t start to hinder his chances; I would hate to lose him for a reason other than voting.

• Marsaili says:

Wow, I had no idea–but I suspected something–he doesn’t move very smoothly, it seems like he’s in pain and he always has his left arm against his side! Poor guy! The Idol run is grueling as it is without adding severe pain to the mix! Casey had issues last year, too! It seems a lot more people have had problems this year, especially during Hollywood and Vegas. Where did you see the message from his mother?

• HudsonRiverside says:

As much as I have enjoyed Philip on Idol, his health is not worth sacrificing for a singing show. Although it is respectable that he hasn’t used it to get sympathy votes. Jessica losing her grandmother the night before the show last week was thankfully not brought up by Ryan.

• Marsaili says:

I never even heard about that—Wow, the poor girl! I have a lot of respect for how well she held it together—and they were going on about Elise’s poor dog—what the heck? That’s like digging at a sore for Jessica, talking about something dying! Well, it wasn’t very considerate to Elise, either.

8. wordgirl says:

I love Idology but please lay off Phillip. I have watched every season since #2 and he is the biggest breath of fresh air I have seen in a long time, the reason I look forward to the show every Wednesday. All the girls and Joshua are very good but none would make it into my music collection only becasue they are not my taste, nothing to do with anything else. I have a sneaky feeling that phillip is running away with the votes and thus the judges’ sudden support. Do you really think the voters are so naive that they are being swayed by the manipulations of the show? I don’t. Not after all these years. We vote for who we like. i really wanted Colton, Elise and Phillip for top 3 but I’m sorry to say I thought Colton was terrible and somehow let the praise get to him, thinking he could do anything.I will definitely pay money to go see Phillip!

• Flippy from Happy Tree Friends says:

If Phillip was a breath of fresh air, I’m thinking you haven’t seen the likes of Cook, Allen, DeWyze and McCreery, all of who can wipe the floor with Phillip.

And let’s get real: a vaguely competent version of the winners before him does NOT appeal.

• Marsaili says:

In YOUR opinion—I liked all those guys and I think Phillip is just as good as they were when they were on Idol. We get it—you don’t like Phillip—but your grand, sweeping statements are your opinion, not reality.

• Sk8er Boi says:

B*tch please! Like what YOU think is reality. Maybe a lot of people agree with you, but that alone does not make it so.

And by the way, put down that chip on your shoulder for any P2 hater, because seriosuly, that is NOT a good look on you.

• Marsaili says:

I don’t have a chip for any P2 hater, just the ones that make stuff up—most just dislike his singing or his style, and they say so—and they are certainly entitled to their opinions. People like you make crap up that’s been disproven already by the producers and celebrities who see his talent and his worth. I understand not everyone likes him—I don’t like Jessica’s music–but I’m not gonna sit here and say horrible things about her, I respect her talent. I don’t HATE, I just won’t listen to it–that’s the difference between you and me–the HATE part.

• Bobbi says:

However, you do NOT use the same validation for Jessica as you do for Philip. Jessica has received much more adoration and kudos from Idol alums and music industry pros, but you keep saying she’s not ready whch is opposite from their view. If you really respected her talent it woudn’t sound like faint praise by trying to diminish her with the following sentence. You may not HATE her, but you do have a double standard.

• Marsaili says:

the industry pros on the show, including some of the mentors have all said that Jessica needs to learn to sing with emotion—J-Lo says it EVERY WEEK. Gwen Stefani said it and told her she needs to learn to move on stage—not be so stiff. Jimmy has said it repeatedly as well. THAT is what I am going on—so no, I do not have a double standard. Phillip has been doing this for many years now, he’s older than Jessica and has more experience playing out. He has a band, he’s played all over in his home town from fairs to bars to restaurants—he’s a seasoned musician—so he DOES have more experience than Jessica. I am just stating the facts, I’m not clouding it with emotion—even if I do like Phillip better—but that is ONLY because I like the type of music he does—I have never cared for most of the music Jessica sings—-if I had one complaint about her—that is it, I don’t like R&B. Anything else I have said has been just about what she needs to do to get where she’s obviously going–with or without Idol.

• reddirtblues says:

DeWyze –really??? really??? you just invalidated your entire comment by including him (and McCreery, for that matter).

9. Lisa says:

I really don’t think Colton leaving was because he “pissed off” his fan base. I think he didn’t get as many votes because people didn’t think he needed the votes. He had never been in the bottom,people assumed he was gonna make it to the end. Maybe they should tell America how many votes each contestant got weekly, I know I would have voted if I thought he was in danger!

• Sandi says:

I agree with this. I really doubt that Colton was being carried by a devout fan base. I live in liberaltown, Agnosticland USA and most of the people the Idol watchers I know here have said that Colton is their favorite. I think it’s a close competition, he had a mediocre night and it didn’t motivate people to vote for him. Plus, as you said, fans got complacent and thought he was safe since he’s never been in the bottom 3.

Maybe the whole Lady Gage innuendo song thing played a role but I doubt that it was the deciding factor. If he had gotten 2nd to last, fans would have woken up and voted for him in droves going forward.

• jake says:

that’s what i was hoping for. But even on the day after he sang, people on his Facebook were saying that they were not gonna vote for him because of lady gaga. I’m like, are you serious? Do you know that lady gaga is catholic? I’m sure it was those two factors, plus a lackluster night and just people over voting for Elise, hollie, joshua and jessica since they were at the bottom the week before. It’s just frustrating, he would have killed it if Elise or hollie had gone home and he was this close to elimination and I would have loved to have seen that.

10. marie says:

I don’t usually speak this bluntly here, but you, PleaseGoHomeElise, are a bigot – and an idiot. Intolerant morons like you are what is changing the free America I grew up in into a place whose future looks frightening. Get lost, creep.

11. Lois Benton says:

Colton was the one who should have gone home. We can all thank Jesus that he did. He voice was okay. His performances were okay. He was personally was obnoxious and all the others can sing much better, or, in the case of Phillip, more entertainingly.

• Sandi says:

I’m not sure what “He was personally was obnoxious” means. Do you mean he was an obnoxious person? When did you meet him? What obnoxious thing did he do to you?

Or are you inventing a personality for someone you’ve never met?

• HudsonRiverside says:

Colton’s biggest mistake was that face he made singingn that Gaga song. The one with the open mouth sheep’s bahhhhhd romance. ;)

12. Lois Benton says:

Colton was the correct one to go home.His voice was okay, his performances were okay, but he was personally obnoxious. And why settle for okay, when all the others have been stellar as singers and/or as performers? I will not miss Colton’s faux catches in his voice (although he must have been reading the boards and have seen how much people hated it, because he toned that down), his flirting with the camera, or his pandering to religious viewers. Although, now that he’s gone and what seemed to be an attempt to gain an unfair advantage by parading his religious views on the show has failed, I can say, more generously, that maybe he was just trying to solidify his audience for a post-idol career in Christian music. Still: Yuck. You think the other men in the Top 10, Joshua, son of a preacher man, Heejun and DeAndre (openly religious OFF the show) and Phillip don’t share his religious fervor? Please.

• Sandi says:

It couldn’t possibly be that religion was a vital component in his life and he felt compelled to spread his faith like Christians are taught to do? (I think that’s true but I’m not a Christian). You simply must think cynically and determine that his faith is not genuine and he was pandering. That’s kind of sad.

• Lois Benton says:

Part of being Christian and spreading the word is that it’s not about YOU. You aren’t using God to get what you want, God is using you. It’s also about being appropriate so that the message is received. The only message I got was that Colton loves Jesus, not what Jesus could do in anyone’s life. In short, it was all about Colton. I’ve seen people use God and Jesus in marketing and I’ve heard beauty pageant losers complain that God abandoned them because they lost the bathing suit competition. But if love is patient, piety is humble. The Colton on my TV screen didn’t appear very humble at all. Arrogant, with a sense of entitlement, I would say. Or, in his own words, cocky.

• Marsaili says:

Well, that’s where you are wrong—Colton has stated over and over again that he is where he is because of God and he feels God has some plan for him—which is why God gave him the talent he has—he credits it all to God. I do think Colton is humble–you can be humble and acknowledge you have talent—if you didn’t then why would you even try to be better? he admitted that he let down his fans AND God—how can he get more humble than that?

• Lois Benton says:

Well, plenty of entertainers and sports figures are openly religious and that’s cool. There’s nothing wrong with dedicating a performance to God, although the traditional, mainline American Christian view is that that’s between you and God and it is presumptuous to announce it to the audience. (Just one example of this attitude is the character Atticus Finch in “To Kill a Mockingbird”.) One reason for discretion is that religious charlatans have been around as long as religion; proselytizing has a place in modern America, but it’s downright rude to use someone else’s event to expound on your religious views. Few people would appreciate someone commanding the stage at, say, a birthday party, to give a speech about their religion. And American Idol is not Colton’s party. One of the time-honored tests to separate the sincere from the opportunists is to consider whether a person is trying to sell you something or get something from you. If someone is talking God at me or pushing his piety like he’s selling drugs, I consider: Is this a con artist selling snake oil? Does this person want my vote in an election or a reality TV show? I am sure that Colton is, like many people who have been on this show, very sincere his beliefs. But, at the least, I think it is tacky to roll that out on the show. Of course, how people seem on TV and how they are in real life could be completely different, but basically, what I’m saying is that Colton didn’t present himself very well on the show. the most effective proselytizers are like therapists, LISTENING to individual people and trying to help them. They know that it’s not about them, or even that God is working through them to help them fulfill their dreams, or whatever.

• NedPepper says:

This is why I’m glad Colton is gone. Just shut up about God and Jesus. I’m so tired of it. For anyone who is not a Southern Evangelical, it’s maddening to hear this superstitious nonsense being beaten over our heads watching American Idol. Every single year. You want a good Christian who doesn’t need to TALK constantly about it, but let’s his actions show his faith? Kris Allen. He didn’t need to use his faith as a marketing tool. Colton, on the other hand, completely did. It’s kind of disgusting, to be honest. Gokey level vomit-inducing. When’s the last time you saw a Muslim or Jewish contestant use their faith to get votes. Oh, that’s right, NEVER It’s so pandering and soulless. Using your “faith” to win a recording contract….enough already.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Or, sometimes a horse is just a horse. Perhaps Colton got the least number of votes because his final two performances were less than stellar. I’m a Christian and I don’t have a problem with contestants mentioning their Christianity and thanking God, but I think it should be done in moderation, just as contestants should bring up sob stories in moderation (dead spouses, “I’m doing this for my son/daughter”, “my grandma has cancer and she always told me to follow my dreams” – whatever). I’m with nedpepper on this one – it all grates on my nerves after a while. I can go to church for affirmation of my faith. When you’re on Idol, just sing. Thanks.

• Marsaili says:

LOL, I think it’s funny that I’m not a Christian at all (by choice) and I’m probably the least bothered by anything Colton did. I’m used to (some) Christians “forcing” their religion down my throat—just the fact that I am not makes them feel that they must do that to show what a “heathen” I am and I just let them do their thing and move on—it isn’t hurting me any. So when Colton praised Jesus and talked about God having a plan for him—it didn’t bother me—that’s how he feels and heck, it’s great to see a kid feel anything GOOD these days (not saying all kids are bad) I don’t feel he was proselytizing, I think he’s just letting us know where his heart is and I was ok with that.

• Sandi says:

To Nedpepper and DET – If there was a single instance that I could recall where Colton evangelized in some way and I could possibly construe something he said to mean “Everyone watching Idol should go to church right now and believe what I believe” than I would be with you. But he didn’t. He mentioned God a lot because – most likely – he was brought up to do so. He’s a 20 year old kid who has probably been taught to discuss his faith openly.

I think we forget that these are not seasoned celebrities. These are nervous kids that were plucked from obscurity and fail to recognize that every word and facial expression will be analyzed for hidden meaning and assessment of personal characteristics.

• Mary says:

Well said. Thank you!!

• Marsaili says:

Actually, since I have all the studio recordings since the top 13, I would say the “faux” (not) catches in his voice were nerves, not faking. He doesn’t do that in any of his studio recordings–which would lead me to believe that he’s just nervous on stage rather than he’s doing it purposely. I don’t think he’s pandering—I’m NOT a religious person and his faith didn’t bother me—I was impressed that a guy his age is so solid in his faith and confident that he’s not afraid to proclaim it, that’s something to be admired, not made fun of or something to be put down. DeAndre also showed his faith ON the show, as well a Joshua—everyone is different, you can’t lump them all together and expect them all to react exactly the same—that’s not even real or fair.

• StereotypicalSuzie says:

The only way one could be sure that Colton is “solid in his faith” as you so eloquently put it, is if he is a virgin and saving himself for marriage.

If he is not a virgin and is engaging in premarital sex, then there is no way that he could be “solid in his faith”.

BTW, I was being half-facetious and half-serious.

• Marsaili says:

LOL! I don’t care either way but that’s funny—-somehow I think he probably is a virgin, he seems to be too busy with God to have time for girls!

• paul says:

Well a lot of people disagree with you that colton should not have gone home — seriously how many bad nights has elise and hollie and even philip had?? They were all given a second chance, multiple chances for elise. I’ve never felt that Colton was a religious singer — just a great singer, with multiple talents and he was my american idol this year. It’s sad that the same people who supported him left him out to dry because he sang catholic singer Lady Gaga.

But look at this statistic, hours after his elimination and now days — he has gained over 25 thousand new likes on Facebook. Which is the real puzzler to me, he had the most twitter followers and Facebook followers (2nd to jessica at the time) and yet he still got eliminated.

13. ana says:

Michael and Melinda, you guys are the best. Now that Colton is gone, I’m done watching Idol, but I’m not missing a single episode of Idology! That’s how good you are!

14. ejones says:

I have this theory that history plays a part in Randy’s comments. When Haley was rejected in season 9, I suspect Randy voted against and then tried to justify that by being a sh** to her in season 10. I suspect he was outvoted in season 11 and didn’t want Elsie/Hollie to get through to the top 24, again he is trying to justify. The problem this season is that they are all of similar standard and that usually means there is no one outstanding performer, statistically, its impossible for there to be 6 or 7 outstanding performers in one season.

15. Princess Adora says:

WILLOW!!! <3 Thank you Jason!

16. Michael C. says:

OK, I am done here. Slezak, have enjoyed you lots, but this constant, unrelenting reverse discrimination against the white male contestants is appalling. And your blind adoration of Skylar, who is campy to the point of ridiculousness, has vanquished your credibility.

17. Kitty says:

Am I the only one who loved Elise’s version of “Let’s Get It On”? She did oversing a little bit, but I think it just kind of happened that way because how the song was chopped up. Like she said, she only had 90 seconds. The 5:10 studio version is sublime. I’m grooving to it right now. I would say this even if I wasn’t fangirling over Elise.

P.S. Averett, glad to see you and I are on the same page. Keep it up. *fist-bump*

• Marsaili says:

I liked it, I didn’t understand why the judges didn’t like it. I do think the studio version is better, though!

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah I don’t get all the hate from some for it. Was it is as good as her first performance? No. (and who else did better on their second song anyway??) Was it bad? Not at all. And the studio version was even better.

• Marsaili says:

Yeah, I think for the most part the second part of the show was a slight bomb—but I did like Phillip and I loved skylar and Joshua and I grew to love Colton’s September. Hmmm. Ok, I don’t think it was a bomb at all!!! ;-)

• FreeHaley says:

Actually you just reminded me that I actually liked Colton’s second song more than his first. Although it got much hated on.

• Tahoe Mike says:

I liked it too. My only criticism would be that she kind of danced around and sang it like it was a party song or something. Since she is the oldest, and most mature contestant left, I wish she hadn’t shied away from the sexuality of the song and would have just stood there, looked me dead in the eye and sung “Let’s get it on.”
      ~
      Instead of letting her age and maturity be held against her, she could have used it to show off the sexuality that she possesses as a grown woman, and the other girls just don’t have yet. It is something that sets her apart. The only other person, still in the game, who could even try that song is Joshua, but I’m not sure that even he is mature/confident enough to pull that one off yet.

• Marsaili says:

Good points! I wonder if she feels compelled to try and out-perform the youngsters who are constantly criticized for not having much stage presence? I think the way you put it would have been perfect for her.

• reddirtblues says:

Agreed! It was not so much the vocals as the staging and movements which seemed awkward and insincere.

18. Christie says:

Speaking of hot fiddler guy – yes, I recognized him from Carrie Underwood concert I attended last year – one of brothers from Sons of Sylvia. They were outstanding and I am not a big country music fan, but went to concert with friend who is. How did they end up backing Skylar on her songs – is Carrie Underwood possibly a fan of Skylar’s or did Skylar maybe request them and is the fan? Any scoop there Michael?

• HudsonRiverside says:

Several of the musician are from touring acts that are affiliated with Idol in some way. Colton’s korean female guitarist tours with Jordin Sparks. Ray Chew the official AI stage musician and Michael Orland probably have them all on speed dial for the performance heavy shows. This way they stay fresh for all the idols.

19. NedPepper says:

Thankfully Jason keeps things real. Slezak has become a hypicrite. Haley? Fine to say whatever she wanted. Why? Because he’s obsessed with her. Elise does it and it’s tacky? Come on!!! I’m pretty sure if Skylar or Joshua got a little snappy with the judges, Slezak wouldn’t a say a word…once again, I say, quit being a Randy, Slezak! I expect better from you.

20. paul says:

Let me say that i’m a fan of Philip, but a bigger fan of colton, but it does make me mad about Randy’s comments regarding philip because it kinda condones his holier than thou attitude — that’s it’s okay to not take advice from others and to be who you are — my opinion has changed a bit, especially when i saw how broken hearted he was about colton’s exit but Randy is just cultivating a jerk by his comments. Not to say that Philip is a jerk — again, i’m a fan.

21. Ken says:

HAHAHAHA loved the closing about Skylar being an artist.”Too bad she’s a lady. She was just born that way.” Gold.

22. crazigrami says:

I think Jessica was in the bottom three because everyone thought everyone else would vote for her. I think that is what happened to Daughtry too. Plus Holly and Jessica are probably splitting the votes. I think Phillip and Colton split votes too. Skylar is sitting pretty with the country crowd backing her. Joshua is amazing but I get tired of the vocal acrobatics. I know he can bounce off the stratosphere but my ears don’t always want to go there. How about tone and melody? Elise is going to make a great album with the right material. Hey Adele if you aren’t touring and you’re writing I think Elise would sound great singing one of your songs. I don’t have a favorite this year.

23. crazigrami says:

BTY get Jessica off the hooker heels she is 16 not 40. Her fan base should be her age group. They buy records and fill concert halls . They have their own and their parent’s money to spend. Put her in a pair of sneakers and and age appropriate clothes and let her sing something upbeat that you would hear on the radio.

• HudsonRiverside says:

The fashion consultant has actually done in a lot of the contestants. Colton got the worst hit. I think that the idols have never had access to ths kind of stuff so they will pick outfits that may need the fashion adviser to tone down for cameras. Jessica looks good in heels for slow songs but for uptempo, the youthful look of lower profile heels, and that ponytail need to make an appearance.

24. HudsonRiverside says:

Voting for best video based on Slezak’s Jessica ponytail impression. :D

25. db says:

I am tired of the white guy with guitar comment…lol… I am white guy with guitar…. makes you sound as pouty as the pretty girl they pick on all the time. They are all talented. I would not be surprised by winner because I think they all have that chance. This is a good group. Like Colton too, but again no surprise to the ousting.

• Calli says:

They’re all very talented, true. The problem is that the Idol judges keep saving the “artist’ label for, well, white guys with guitars. Doesn’t mean they’re not, but they’re certainly not the only ones. Also… last four winners were white guys with guitars. Now, I love guys with guitars… always have, always will… but they’re not the only ones I love. :-)

26. Zoey says:

I don’t think Elise has an attitude problem, nor is she “emotionless” as the judges say. If anything, she’s the one performer this year who wears her heart on her sleeve. She’s passionate about her songs and performances (even if the song doesn’t benefit her), and has spent years trying to make a career happen for her – thus negative critique affects her more than the younger contestants. I think because of this she doesn’t know that in the game of Idol, trying to explain how hurt she is by the negative feedback to Ryan or to the judges makes her look self-righteous, ungrateful, and pissy. If she can keep her emotions from boiling over to the non-performance sector, she could make at least top 5, if not top 3.

27. Lisak says:

I agree on the voting. I don’t vote anymore because there’s no way i’m going to try to vote a jillion times so I know my vote makes no difference … Every other show seems to have figured this out – don’t know why the dummies on Idol can’t ..

28. Calli says:

The only thing that would make Idology better is if it were longer. Ten minutes is not enough! More Michael! More Melinda! More of Jason’s fun editing! I want it all, and I want it now! :-)

29. Red in Denver says:

Based on the DialIdol score, it looks like it could be either Elise or Skylar who might be going home!!! Holly has the highest score and is predicted to be safe. I can’t believe Phillip is not at the bottom of the voting. I thought both of his performances last night were mediocre.

30. I absolutely LOVED the little Community mash-up inserted when referring to the ridiculousness that is Phillip Phillips. I am SO GLAD to hear someone else say the exact same thing as me, Michael. From the start I was dead set on Phillip, thinking he was the best thing to ever come thru this competition & simply intrigued by Colton. As things have moved on I’ve grown complacent with Phillip, but fallen madly in love with Colton & have actually bought many of Colton’s covers on Itunes, vs only 1 or 2 of Phillip’s. I thought that his Bad Romance & September covers were 2 of the best of this season & I don’t think the show is much worth watching now. I was extremely bored with this weeks Queen crapfest & could only think about how badly I wished good ol’ Colt could come back & sing the hell out of “Somebody to Love” & be crowned the winner. For now, I’ll have to suffice with his re-singing Everything & Piano Man on Live with Kelly and Ellen.

31. Angela says:

Great Idology. Melinda, you’re awesome. Still missing Colton, and with Elise gone, I pretty much don’t care about this season anymore. Hollie should’ve gotten out last week instead of Colton, if I was being realistic; not being realistic, I would’ve gotten rid of Phillip Phillips.

32. Mic says:

Hilarious. And I love the video editor. <3

33. Alex says:

Slezak, I love the Natalie Dee t-shirt!

34. Sam says:

I totally called Melinda and josh being friends. She is way too nice to him in idology to not be friends with him. Plus phillip actually looks kinda hot in his pic and i bet he is a stone cold hottie in person (maybe that is why he has the judges and jimmy are kissing his ass)