TVLine Items: Big Brother's Return Date Set, Syfy Developing New Alien Family Drama and More!

CBS has unveiled its summer lineup, and Big Brother is once again dominating the schedule.

The Julie Chen-fronted competition series will premiere Thursday, July 12 at 9/8c before settling into its thrice-weekly schedule — Wednesdays at 8 pm, Thursdays at 9 pm and Sundays at 8 pm — the following week.

Meanwhile, 3, a new dating series in which three single women at different stages in life attempt to find love, will debut with a 90-minute installment on Sunday, July 22 at 9 pm.

The previously announced Dogs In the City premieres Wednesday May 30 at 8 pm.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

TVLine as learned exclusively that Syfy is developing The Family, a new drama from exec producers Mark Verheiden (Falling Skies), Neal Moritz (21 Jump Street) and Dan Harris (Superman Returns). The project centers on an alien family who, for generations, has hid in plain sight amongst humans using their advanced intellect to carve out a life for themselves. But when their patriarch dies, a war begins to brew as some members of the clan believe it’s time to reveal themselves, and their superior power, to the human race.

Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 52 Big Finishes!

Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter is launching a docu-series on Discovery Channel that examines the world’s most notorious crime families. Titled Kurt Sutter’s Outlaw Empires, the show will feature the showrunner’s insights on the gangs, as well as interviews with current and former members of the following organizations: Crips, Outlaw Bikers, Irish Mob, Nuestra Familia, Italian Mafia and Aryan Brotherhood. The six-part series premieres Monday, May 14 at 10 pm.

• HBO has renewed Real Time With Bill Maher for two more seasons, taking the program through 2014.

• Vince Vaughn and Tony Danza are developing a multi-camera comedy series for ABC, Deadline reports. The project, starring the Who’s The Boss? alum, centers on three old friends who move into a bachelor pad near their children and grandkids.

• Syfy is developing Stephen King’s 1987 fantasy novel Eyes of the Dragon into either a a miniseries or a movie, EW.com reports. Additionally, the cabler has given the green light to five new reality series, per Deadline, including two new ghost-tinged shows, Paranormal Highway and Ghost Mine. Also on the roster are Hot Set, a movie set-based offshoot of Face Off, Viral Video Showdown (which is pretty self explanatory) and Collection Intervention, which features a collectibles expert helping people decide what to do with their trinkets.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. wrstlgirl says:

No more returning house guests on Big Brother, please. They always have to pick the most annoying. Enough already, let’s just have a good new cast for a change.

• Mik says:

Hah, I was actually hoping for another all-star season, but I guess we just have to wait and see (:

• wrstlgirl says:

A complete all-star cast wouldn’t be bad. It’s just when they have repeat house guests show up and re-enter the game that bugs.

• Jason says:

I thought last year was pretty good with Jeff, Rachel and Danielle. Too bad Evil Dick bailed after one week!!! I wnated to see a Rachel vs Dick battle. In addition to the Rachel Vs. Dick she usually encounters.

• I believe last season’s BB was the highest-rated in recent years…expect them to try and keep it that way.

2. Clarissa says:

They’re doing casting for the 14th season in my city soon. Weird since I thought they had chosen the big brother group by now. They never do casting stuff here either so I’m guessing they really want a hispanic on the cast (we are 99.97% Hispanic here :D )

3. ollie says:

hope syfy does justice to eyes its one of my favorite king books. would watch outlaws

4. Jenn says:

Yes Big Brother!!

5. marcy says:

no more reality on syfy. Syfy mean science fiction.

6. This says:

So Syfy is developing this Event-like show with my least favorite writer from BSG, but not Blood and Chrome? Yay…

7. Sarah B says:

So Tony Danza and Vince Vaughn are developing a male version of The Golden Girls?

8. Olivia says:

Just bring Roswell back and we’ll call it even

9. Gilda says:

5 new reality shows? ugg. I don’t mind Syfy having a handful, I actually really enjoy Face-Off, but they’re not going to have a single *scifi* show on the network if they keep going in this direction. When eureka ends, (I think) they’ll only have seven, and that includes Merlin, which they don’t produce. I know reality shows tend to be more profitable and easy, but should scifi shows be in the majority of Syfy?

10. Jason says:

Talk about burying the lead. Eyes OF A Dragon is being madeinto a miniseries???? Hellls to the yes!!!!!!

11. theresa says:

I would be willing to watch the new Syfy show about the alien family, happy about Bil Maher being renewed!!! and the Stephen King thing on Syfy is something else I’d watch. I hope that Big Brother doesn’t bring any previous players back. Not interested in the reality shows on syfy or the Tony Danza thing. I’ve got maybe 3 reality shows I watch (Amazing Race, Survivor & Big Brother) – nothing else really interests me.

12. russell says:

I’d like to see Kaysar come back to Big Brother.Time to bring back likable people. Syfy needs to get a better balance going. The only new show they have introduced in the last few months that I watch is Lost Girl and that’s not one they even produce themselves

13. VadaLy says:

14. Assassin Kurenai says:

Big brother has always been dumb and out lived itself

15. kim says:

I am so sick of seeing repeat people on big brother, survivor and then to see rachel and brendon on amazing race was so disappointing. The do ALWAYS pick the most annoying people. These people who pick the cast act like there are no other people in this world who would be good on these shows or would bring the regular people back to watch. Give so other people a chance to win other than the same old annoying ones.

16. carolklawon says:

love to see jeff and jordan on tv again heard they might be doing something with cbs hope they will televise it