House Shocker: Thoughts on The Big Twist?

Get More: News, Recaps

WARNING: If you have yet to watch this week’s House, avert your eyes now. And we repeat: If you have yet to watch this week’s House, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, you may proceed….

It would appear House‘s top-secret series-ending arc is a secret no more: In the final moments of Monday’s episode, viewers learned that Robert Sean Leonard‘s Wilson — and not Hugh Laurie‘s titular doc, as many assumed — has cancer.

Exclusive: Look Who Else is Back For the Finale

Series creator David Shore recently told TVLine that the House-Wilson friendship will take center stage as the show nears its conclusion. “I think male friendship is something rarely explored on TV or even in the movies in much depth,” he said. “[There's] plenty of wingmen, plenty of guys trying to get other guys laid and stuff like that. But a real friendship with real depth and lasting years and going through challenges and being there for each other and confronting each other… [is unique]. The [House/Wilson] relationship is one I’m particularly proud of because it’s something you don’t see on TV very much.”

Thoughts? Did you see the twist coming? Are you holding out hope that House has one more miracle up his sleeve?

Tags: ,

Comments (99)

• I called it!!! I was hoping I was wrong but I called it (its even in the comment section on a story from earlier today!!)
    I don’t want to see Wilson die, but it will make a good episode/finale

Comment by J (@MusicandHouse) – April 23, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No n ot Wilson. House? that would be hard but I could live with it even though it would probably kill Wilson. But killing Wilson? NEVER, NOT EVAR! NO WAY! NO HOW!! That would kill me!

Comment by NotMyBabyWilson – April 25, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awwwww! :( NOT WILSON!

Comment by lola – April 23, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hands on hips…

Comment by Shepherd – April 24, 2012 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was shocked. I think most people just assumed it was House. This somehow makes it even worse just because I always thought it would be House dying near the finale. I can’t imagine House without Wilson.

Comment by houseboneslove – April 23, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO NOT WILSON :( </3</3</3 Haven't watched the episode yet and now I don't know if I wannaaaaa

Comment by Sara – April 23, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LMAO i so hope Wilson dies. He is so useless. At least his death will add some drama.

Comment by Ricard – April 23, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol So bitter.

Comment by Richard – April 23, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Drama to what? All the episodes that won’t be filmed after it happens?

Comment by KevyB – April 24, 2012 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • huddie jealous bitterness.

Comment by NotMyBabyWilson – April 25, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regret reading this before the west coast airing (an unfortunate caveat of being in LA), but I will say that Wilson dying instead of House makes no sense. Sure, it’s kind of fitting that Wilson, a man specializing in cancer, also becomes a cancer patient himself, but I don’t see this kind of show offing more than one person in its last batch of episodes, and Dr. House would definitely be the character I would go with to wrap up a series.

Comment by Shane Saunders – April 23, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remember when House said to Wilson “if you die, I’m alone”? If Wilson dies House loses everything so he will have to reevaluate his life and I see that ending only two ways: either he leaves PPTH because he couldn’t save Wilson or he OD’s on vicodin in his depressive state. Either way House has closure and Wilson’s death is the catalyst.

Comment by J (@MusicandHouse) – April 23, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s almost fitting even though it’s at the expense of a good man. House deserves to be alone.

Comment by Michael – April 24, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • if you havent noticed by now house actually helps those around him. they dont realize it but he does.

Comment by thomas – April 26, 2012 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WILSONNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Comment by dude – April 23, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^^This! Fabulous!

Comment by kansas city – April 23, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HaHa! Brilliant.

Comment by CwordisCASTAWAY – April 24, 2012 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Swan son?

Comment by anon – April 23, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s Henry!! the son of Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) from Once Upon a Time
      Maybe it’s crossover.. and Jennifer will be in the finale!

LOLOLOLOL!

Comment by HG – April 23, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t that surprised but now more than ever I realize how much I’ll miss House. It may not be as strong as it once was, but it is and always will be one hell of a show.

Comment by d4h8a15r16m23a42 – April 23, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House won’t survive Wilson dying. He really will be all alone if that happens.

Comment by Anna – April 23, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought this might be coming, but I’m still surprised they actually went there. It’ll be heartbreaking for House if Wilson dies, but as we’re coming up on the series finale, at least I won’t have to watch the show without RSL.

Comment by Paige – April 23, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH my god i haven’t watched since season 6 i was going to catch up when the show was done and now i’m afraid to. he’s my favourite character. I’m seriously crying rn.

Comment by Alfie – April 23, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE the way tonight’s medical storyline resolved itself. LOVED IT!

I’m surprised how many people think Wilson is going to die. This is House. Anything can happen.

Comment by TV Gord – April 23, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no dont kill of wilson.. please!! :(

Comment by betty – April 23, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like that house is might end alone. this was a great epi overall btw

Comment by sandy – April 23, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m almost in tears!!!!!! Just think how its feels to loose someone to cancer!!? I think that House will kill himself bcuz of Wilson dying!!!(Great story) what I’m the most upset about is that the show is ending!!!! Now I would love to see the two “students” that dreamed about each other truly “hook” up!!

Comment by BGoody – April 23, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry to see Wilson go….I was kind of hoping for maybe an occasional TV movie of HOUSE but no WIlson not really HOUSE anymore Ciao Wilson ;’(

Comment by bonnie Kinch – April 23, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Wilson dies I want his last word to be ‘…Amber?’

And please please let Chase and Park hook up for real, but their friendship is beautiful either way.

Comment by Polly – April 23, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes and yes!!!!
      I LOVE Chase and Park together.

Comment by Sara – April 23, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Chase and Park scenes were my favorite parts of this episode. More please! They HAVE to hook-up for real and love happily ever after in Weirdopolis: population THEM.

Comment by It'sAGasGasGas – April 24, 2012 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE, PLEASE, I beg you – DO.NOT.KILL. MY.BABY.WILSON. House dying would have broken Wilson’s heart, but Wilson dying breaks my heart so utterly and completely. There are no words. There are no words.

Comment by HouseObssessedAgain – April 23, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UPLIFTING???? they are killing off my baby WILSON!! How the he$$ is that uplifting? OMG!! I am devastated – totally

Comment by HouseObssessedAgain – April 23, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because Wilson dies and House’s last episode has to do with a drug addict.. enought to set house straight.. even if he ends up alone.. Their friendship sets him free.

Comment by Noey Montero – April 23, 2012 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seeing as how Wilson the Volley Ball didn’t make it….I’m saddened that Wilson won’t make it…

Comment by Sana – April 23, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish I cared more. However, the show feels like it is missing a major piece this season – which it is. Cuddy was a part of House (the character) as much as House (the series). Without her, he is incomplete. If the show still had her the ratings would not be down this season.

Comment by John – April 23, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously please move on……………

Comment by Val – April 23, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had no idea that Huddy fangirls call themselves “John” now LOL

Comment by Liz – April 24, 2012 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please, people, just stop with Cuddy already. Why the need to comment on every single House article if you don’t care anymore? Just move on, you’re ruining it for everyone else.

Comment by Jo – April 24, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because care!You know everybody lies!

Comment by Cuddy's lawyer – April 24, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAD :(

Comment by Val – April 23, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wilson dying is the BEST THING to happen in House ‘s crappy universe. Believe it not no one NOT even House dies of a broken heart.
    If House is alone he will be FORCED to move on. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS ENDING.
    This should have happened at the end of Season 4 but,since Wilson has always been a BIG FAT WUSS OF THE FIRST ORDER !!! he came crawling back. House did not die of a broken heart while Wilson was gone he put his BIG boy pants on and SURVIVED !!!!!

Hopefully this death will lead HOUSE to a better place maybe even reach out from beyond his misery and find a new LIFE. One that actually allows him to be the kind of person people want to be around and be will make him happy

Comment by erin bowers – April 23, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why the HATE towards Wilson!?!

Comment by Sana – April 23, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not “hate” toward Wilson…..it’s indifference toward Wilson and hate for House.

Comment by CJ – April 24, 2012 02:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bitter jealous huddies are attracted to all things House like flees to bats. But they are really gonna be pissed when more peeps watch the Hilson arc than watched the huddy demise.

Comment by HouseObssessedAgain – April 23, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed.

Comment by Sally – April 23, 2012 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, the Hilson arc is doing great so far. If it keeps going like this we’re gonna rage so hard!

Comment by Maria – April 24, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This right vice-versa the Hilsons too!
        And what about the Hudsons? :D (House-Cuddy-Wilson holy trinity?)

Comment by Ro – April 24, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah we see already this season’s fantastic ratings without Cuddy!
        And yes likely more peeps will watch the Hilson arc than watched the “huddy demise”,because that will the series finale too!

Comment by @HouseObssessedAgain – April 24, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This comment is so un-asked for!!!

Comment by KathleenD – April 24, 2012 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww. I haven’t watched House since they split the original team…but not WILSON!

Comment by Renee – April 23, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love House and Wilson together. If Wilson dies, House will lose his will to live. This seems like “House” is going to end the series on a sad note.

Comment by maggie – April 23, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t say I didn’t expect it, but now I’ll definitely have to tune in.

Comment by em – April 23, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well DS managed to destroy every ship including Hilson. I love Wilson but better him than House. House is going to be forced to change and will be reborn. I like this twist.

Comment by Kate – April 23, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cutthroat bitch with a top-secret cameo in the finale?

Comment by Mike – April 23, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now THAT would actually make it worth watching!

Comment by Erin – April 24, 2012 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry,your mother wasn’t invited!

Comment by @ Mike – April 24, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The storyline is genius. It can end in so many different ways, and have so many different repercussions.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY x a million hope Dominika comes back. Her and House belong together.

Comment by Sam – April 23, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree. If House loses everything, when he was finally begrudgingly accepting happiness with Dominika, this could be a tragic ending for one of the most memorable characters in television history.

But with Cuddy and Cameron gone and Wilson dying…

Unless Dominika returns: Could it end any other way?

Comment by kevin.vaughn@gmail.com – April 24, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously I found the relationship with Dominika disturbing. Aside from the fact that House could have just as well have adopted her as married her because of the age gap, the fact he was prepared to have sex with her under false pretences is pretty gross. I don’t understand how people got on board with the whole th

Comment by D – April 24, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t understand how people got on board with the whole Dominika/House thing. Not only did her character have a personality transplant, could people honestly see her sticking round until his liver packed in, or he overdosed etc? He has nothing to offer her.

Comment by D – April 24, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Oncologist gets cancer? No surprise there. Should have gone with Foreman for a surprise. Just being honest.

Comment by Dags – April 23, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wilson won’t die.

Comment by djesus – April 23, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really couldn’t get too worked up about Wilson. I was still laughing my ass off at the fart scene in the elevator just prior to his Big Reveal.

Anybody else notice that House was no longer wearing his “bracelet” at the end? Does anybody know what it signified, other than a jail house trophy?

Comment by Looking on the Bright Side – April 23, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House or Wilson or Wilson or House. I will go with Wilson every time. Sorry I couldn’t bear to lose House.

Comment by Sandy – April 23, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I personally couldn’t bear to lose Wilson. I’ve expected, or am expecting to lose House. Does that make sense?

Comment by anon – April 24, 2012 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Wilson is going to die! The episode after next is called “post-mortem”.

Comment by Babybop – April 23, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GASP
    I FEEL SOME SLASHFIC COMING ON!

Comment by Axle – April 23, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched tonight’s episode, but even though Wilson is my favorite character, if he dies it makes sense for this show. They’ve said many times that this is a Holmes/Watson tribute. The Sherlock Holmes books were always from Watson’s perspective. You can’t HAVE the House series without Wilson — he’s the true narrator.

Comment by Mimi Heart (@mimiheart9) – April 23, 2012 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Wilson will need a new heart and House will give his heart for Wilson on the last ep. when House reflect about his life and think he can’t continue without his best friend.

Comment by Greg – April 23, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry Wilson,but rather he dies than House!

Comment by Kriszta – April 23, 2012 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be honest, I expected it. House dying would have been to obvious to be a shocker. Very sad though, I don’t want anyone to die. They could have lied about “Everybody dies”, after all “Everybody lies”.

Comment by Sally – April 23, 2012 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This comment isn’t about Wilson but it is about last night’s episode. Was it ever explained how the little boy appeared to float in his bed? Must have missed that.

Comment by Michelle – April 24, 2012 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he’s the _cancer_ doctor . . . of course they’re going to give him cancer!!!

Comment by Adrienne – April 24, 2012 03:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t help but think that if Wilson dies (and he probably will), House is going to kill himself. Wilson is the ONLY person House has in the world, he won’t be strong enough to go on without him.

Comment by Ellie – April 24, 2012 03:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The diagnosis sheds ominous new light on the show’s final four episodes, beginning with next week’s Laurie-helmed hour, “The C’Word” and ending with the May 21 swan song, “Everybody Dies.”

Comment by Tatiana Gerber – April 24, 2012 04:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The lighting this season has been deplorable. I couldn’t make out what was going on, except for the audio, in the bedroom scene. (I checked other channels to make sure it wasn’t just my tv.) They have the best actor on TV and you can’t even see his face in half the scenes. And every hospital I’ve ever been in is lit up like a Christmas tree, except overnight in patients’ rooms.
    Anyway, I hope House, after reviewing all his losses, will realize his mistake and go crawling back to Dominika.

Comment by Eva – April 24, 2012 04:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The scene is extremely dark to reflect House state of spirit and make an emphasis on the fact that this scene can not have an happy ending.

Comment by François – May 8, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Wilson dies. Just a feeling.

Comment by Grace – April 24, 2012 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • obvious that Wilson will not die. all very trivial. I was hoping for a bit ‘of creativity.

Comment by LisaR – April 24, 2012 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is that there is a child in House’s future.

Comment by Eva – April 24, 2012 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I said it in another thread:

I think Wilson will die (which would explain most of the old characters coming back – for a funeral), which would be bizarre since thymomas are not aggressive (only a 10% mortality rate), but given the state of the medicine on House recently, I’m surprised someone hasn’t pooped a lung and been diagnosed with an ingrown toenail at this point.

As I’ve said here and elsewhere: this is leading up to about the only conclusion I can imagine for this series outside of the trite “House Dies” line. It will end with House’s team gathering in the conference room, House saying “good morning”, and the team beginning their next case.

In other words, “Everybody Dies”, but life goes on.

Comment by The Annoyed Elephant – April 24, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if it turns out that Wilson does not have cancer but a rare disease that only House can diagnose and there for save Wilson’s life. If Shore has killed Wilson off I may join up with the Cuddy fans and send nasty Tweets to David Shore!!!

Comment by Moochoo – April 24, 2012 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks!
      You made me laugh…..No sarcasm intended

Comment by Se8 – April 24, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. If David Shore kills Wilson, I’m gonna haunt him for the rest of his life and send nasty tweets too.

Comment by Hilson – April 24, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post