Ratings: Revenge Returns Steady, ABC's B—- Dips, SVU Hits New Low

Get More: News, Ratings

ABC’s Revenge didn’t exactly return with a white-hot vengeance on Wednesday night, but in today’s ratings climate, “holding steady” gets chalked up as a big, fat win.

The freshman sudser came back from its seven-week-slash-interminable break with 7.6 million total viewers and a 2.3 rating, dipping just a tenth in the demo.

Time slot rival Law & Order: SVU (5.7 mil/1.5) meanwhile dropped 12 percent in the demo to hit a new series low. Keep Or Cut the long-running procedural? Get your vote in now!

Elsewhere on the night….

* American Idol’s Top 7 Sing-Off Redux drew 16.5 mil and a 4.7, down just a few percentage points week-to-week.

* Survivor was flat at 9.4 mil/2.7.

* Of ABC’s sitcoms, Suburgatory (5.8 mil/2.0) and Modern Family (10.1 mil/4.0) slipped just 5 percent each, while that very entertaining B—- in Apartment 23 (6.6 mil/2.6) was down 10 percent.

* Over on NBC, Off Their Rockers (6.2 mil/1.7) saw a slight uptick, Best Friends Forever (3.2 mil/0.9) added a few viewers and Rock Center (2.9 mil/0.7) surged double digits.

* Top Model grew 20 percent, hitting 1.35 mil and a 0.6.

What were you watching this Wednesday?

Comments (34)

• ABC is just reaching new levels of stupid. They keep Cougar Town off the air for 9 months. They keep Revenge off the air for 7 weeks. How is any of that supposed to HELP ratings?

Comment by Rebecca Parker – April 19, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. Last night’s episode of Revenge might have been all right if it had followed the last episode, but after waiting for seven weeks, I wondered why I bothered.

Comment by Chester – April 19, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Every single show has to go on a break at some point. Only 22-24 episodes to air in 36 weeks.

Comment by chris – April 19, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Doesn’t matter – that much time off is too much to expect viewers will be revved to get back into it. Keep the new episodes coming one after another or risk audience members getting distracted by other programming. If the current network production schedules don’t allow that to happen, it’s the network’s problem to fix. If they can’t, numbers will eventually dip. I’m off Revenge because it was only so-so and I didn’t care to come back after all this time. Die hards will stick with it. People on the fence won’t

Comment by Turnitup – April 19, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree. But for a new show, they are really playing with fire with a six week hiatus on top of the usual two month hiatus around the holidays. Not a great plan to build up fan loyalty. I love this show and hope it gets renewed. There is so much going on, it takes a moment to catch up. Which is good. It’s entertaining and you want more after each week. I can only assume they didn’t know how the show would be received and didn’t order a full season initially. If they did, ABC programmers are idiots. There also hasn’t been a lot of promotion for it. All I see on ABC is scandal/shamda promotions.

Comment by MJ – April 19, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think of this as an ABC problem. I think of this as a network t.v. problem. All the networks are guilty of it to some extent. During the spring in particular, the schedule is literally work to follow. A show will have a new episode for one week, then two weeks of repeats, then three new shows, then four more weeks of repeats. It’s silly. Cable discovered there is a different model that works much better — the British model, if you will. Either you do 12 episode seasons and run them straight through or, even better, ten episode seasons twice a year.

Comment by Lola – April 19, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • They should split the season in half and do 11 in the fall and 11 in the spring with just one long hiatus in between, and then in the summer of course. It’s way too hard to keep track of 1 new episode followed by a month of repeats just to get a couple new ones here and there. I don’t think they should do shorter seasons like cable shows; they just need to have one big hiatus in the winter instead of like 5 spread out. Walking Dead did that this year. They aired about 6 episodes from October-November, then went on hiatus until February and came back with no repeats.

Comment by Mikael – April 20, 2012 08:40 AM PDT
      • 7 weeks is too much of a break – viewers have a short memory. They need to space it out better

Comment by Rebecca Parker – April 19, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with both posters. It felt lame. Like who cares now. And they’re introducing weird new characters? I could barely pay attention last night.

Comment by Karen B. – April 19, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since I only watch new(*) episodes of shows, as long as they AREN’T going to make ~52 new shows a year, it doesn’t matter to me if they show reruns, or take a break.

(*) or new to me. I do netflix old shows I’d never watched/finished, but relatively rarely watch a show again.

Comment by takeabreak – April 19, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep in mind that SVU tied a CSI repeat in demo and lost in viewers. Revenge and SVU get another week of CSI (R) and then they will be defeated again. NBC really should’ve moved SVU back to Tuesday at 10/9 after Parenthood was done. It would’ve eaten BoP and UnF alive.

Comment by ChicagoDan – April 19, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My friend kept teasing me about how ABC was premiering this new show called Revenge since its off the air so much haha

Comment by Marcos Rodriguez – April 19, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, well, SVU quality is slipping. I couldn’t bother to watch last night after the craptacular episode they gave last week. The show needs to go while it has a teeny, tiny bit of goodwill and dignity left.

Comment by Dee – April 19, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Given all things considered, Revenge came back stronger than I expected. It won the 10pm in the most important metric. Granted CSI will come back new and may have a larger audience, but there are more old people watching TV anyways.

Comment by mika – April 19, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • revenge was gone way too long–that’s why it didn’t move up in the ratings.

Comment by Ella – April 19, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • However, I was one who DID watch it. I mean, come on, that show is amazingly good

Comment by Ella – April 19, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As stated before cconsidering the hiatus, the 10 PM timeslot and the large declines of several other shows, Revenge did pretty decently. My only hope its that it stays steady for the next five weeks and for season 2 they air all the episodes uninterrupted then give another serial show a chance in the same manner

Comment by John – April 19, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad Revenge is back! And I am really loving Apt 23

Comment by tvaddict – April 19, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who is actually really liking Best Friends Forever?

Comment by Eli – April 19, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not at all. I like it quite a bit, it gets better with each episode. Last night’s was hilarious, and mostly in part to St Clair and Parham’s chemistry

Comment by Smigglesby – April 19, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i like it a lot as well. too bad it is certain to be cancelled.

Comment by Ashley – April 19, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like Matt says, considering it held almost steady after being off the air for SIX weeks, that’s pretty impressive. The episode itself wasn’t overly great (I would have liked to see a bigger cliffhanger and – as Karen B says above – a better introduction for complete random hook-up, Dominik), but hey…our favourite nighttime soap is back, right?

Let’s celebrate by killing Declan or Charlotte!

Comment by cinephilactic – April 19, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where are additioan Keep or Cut on the rest of the bubble shows? like the feature and interesting to hear people’s thoughts (arguements).

Comment by Jasie – April 19, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Such as….? We’ve done SVU, RINGER, GCB, WHITNEY, SECRET CIRCLE and FRINGE, and don’t plan to repeat shows we covered a year ago: http://tvline.com/category/keep-or-cut/

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 19, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most of the ‘keep’ arguments basically say

“I love the show, therefore it should be renewed”

Comment by J. Norman – April 19, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing good about this show is the fact that it has Madeleine Stowe. Not a big fan of Ms. VanCamp . This show a best is mediocre.

Comment by Jake – April 19, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge…on once or twice every few months

Comment by John – April 19, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i LOVE Revenge….but after 7 weeks of reruns if i hadn’t had my dvr remind me i would have completely forgot that it existed :/

Comment by rebecca – April 19, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still love Revenge but ABC really need to stop with giving reruns of it for so long because alot of people either get tried and not watch it or get confuse about whats going on and stop watching.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – April 19, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving the chemistry between Jeremy Sisto and Alicia Silverstone on Suburgatory. I was trying to catch the Clueless references, but I’m sure I missed a few as it’s been way too long since I’ve seen that movie. I did love that they started out with a Cranberries song though. “So does anyone have any thoughts on Cher’s oration? Elton?” “Yeah. I can’t find my Cranberries CD. I gotta go to the quad before someone snags it.”

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 19, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hated as what ratings does to tv shows. I think it is outdated due to DVRs and the Internet. I do agree they did not advertise Revenge enough. I hate also what they did to daytime. They claim soaps aren’t relevant anymore but nighttime shows almost all r some form of soaps. Even comdey shos they have continuing storylines…where did they get that idea….soaps!

Comment by Eileen Oberman – April 20, 2012 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oops first line should be I hate what ratings do to tv shows. Also I love Revenge and Ringer!!!! Please keep Ringer on. And I agree about the long hiatus. Lost did it right by puttings the whole season on one after the other, granted it was a shorter season. Bot I miss that show!!!!

Comment by Eileen Oberman – April 20, 2012 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I should re-read b4 I post!!!! Boy I miss LOST

Comment by Eileen Oberman – April 20, 2012 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What networks really need to do is stopping the constant repeats and the # of weeks before a new ep is aired, no wonder u r losing veiwers. In this fast paced society, we need to have 3 seasons: summer, fall, & spring…therefore u can consistantly air new episodes and keep viwers watching.

Comment by buffy – April 22, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post