Idol Leaderboard: Who Is Your Favorite from the Top 7? (Take Our Poll!)

idol colton skylarAfter last week’s Judges’ Save spared Jessica Sanchez, American Idol returns tonight with Top 7: Part Deux, featuring a “Then & Now” theme of contestants covering a contemporary track (2000-2010) and an old soul ditty.

Who has momentum heading into the live show, and who can already see cracks in the ice forming under their feet? Check out my contestant rankings, then take our poll and vote for your own favorite!

American Idol: 10 Dream Theme Nights!

7. Hollie Cavanagh (Previously No. 7) | Charming teenager managed to escape the Bottom 3 last week despite a slightly sleepy rendition of Pink’s “Perfect.” But while the judges’ rough comments probably earned her a one-week sympathy reprieve, she’ll need a Major Idol Moment during Top 7 Redux Week to avoid elimination.

6. Elise Testone (Previously No. 3) | Unlike some of her rivals, Elise’s voting support seems to be only as solid as her most recent performance. So while “Vienna” and “Whole Lotta Love” still rank as some of the season’s strongest performances, she’s landed in the Bottom 3 the last two weeks thanks to a strained “I Want to Know What Love Is” and a good-if-not-spectacular “You and I.” Needs to get fans on her bandwagon — and keep them there — if she wants a Top 5 finish.

Idology: Heejun Han on Asian Clichés, Cowboy Drama, Hilfiger-Gate and His One Idol Regret

5. Phillip Phillips (Previously No. 1) | One of only two contestants this season to never land in the Bottom 3, and while he fits the guitar-slingin’, song-rearrangin’ hottie profile that’s been very successful in recent Idol seasons, his last couple of efforts (“That’s All” and “Give a Little More”) have felt like watered-down renditions of his superior prior performances. Needs to embrace the idea of challenging himself (maybe reworking an R&B or country track?) and growing as an artist, or he could face a surprise early exit.

4. Joshua Ledet (Previously No. 4) | Whether or not you enjoy his over-the-top soul style, you can’t say he’s missed many notes during seven weeks of live performances. White-hot Top 7 take on “Runaway Baby” may have landed him in the Bottom 3, but it proved he can handle contemporary uptempo material with style and sex appeal to spare. Needs to consider a stripped down, intimate performance — think Fantasia’s “Summertime,” or Bo Bice’s “In a Dream” — to solidify his position as the season heads toward hometown visits.

3. Jessica Sanchez (Previously No. 2) | Scored the first “Idol Moment” of the season delivering a pitch-perfect “I Will Always Love You” on Top 13 night, but the judges now seem to hold her to a superhigh standard when it comes to doling out praise. And yet while unrealistic expectations may have led to her near-exit (stopped by the Judges’ Save) last week, there’s still a feeling that she hasn’t tapped into the gut-busting brand of soul she unleashed in her Vegas week performances. In any event, her brush with elimination should only serve to rally her fan base out of any kind of complacency. Seems like a Top 5 lock.

2. Skylar Laine (Previously No. 6) | Country firecracker has mixed uptempo rockers with big diva ballads that punctuate both her performance energy and serious pipes.Plus, she’s managed to communicate more about her persona in pre-performance clips than most of her competitors. Bringing out the guitar — and a storyteller vibe — for “Didn’t You Know How Much I Loved You” was a smart move, too. If Lauren Alaina could make it all the way to No. 2 without Skylar’s breezy confidence, then the latter gal might be able to go the distance.

1. Colton Dixon (Previously No. 5) | Aside from occasional hiccups in the pitch and pronunciation departments, Colton has marched through seven weeks of live shows without a serious misstep, and last week’s intimate, piano-driven “Love the Way You Lie” was his strongest performance yet. He’s changed up tempo, lyrical content, and gender association in his song choices — and takes the competition seriously while still exhibiting a sense of humor. Plus, he might be peaking at just the right time.

Who is your Season 11 favorite? Vote in the poll below, then explain your picks in the comments!

1. Tristan Dacayo says:

Well, actually Jessica Sanchez is the best idol in this season, far better from HOLLIE, and I thing that the final show will be a JESSICA-JOSHUA competition.

2. JensRandz says:

There’s something odd sound in Hollie’s voice. Not liking it. She does screaming and sounding nasally. Skylar’s voice was horrible! Jessica’s screaming so loud. Not my favorite performance for her. Elise, not feeling it..

Colton’s gone mad! But not in a good way. P2 not sure if he has to continue.. Just boring boring boring! Josh was ok but not really digging it.

Overall, thought my TOP 5 would be:

In random order…

Josh, Jess, Hollie, Elise and Colton

Bottom 2 would be:

Skylar and P2

3. Jennifer says:

I know Jessica can sing but I just don’t enjoy listening to her. Last night was an example………….she so over sang Otis Redding that it was annoying to me. She kind o reminds me of a pageant princess. In this sense she does remind me of Pia Toscana and I think she will be eliminated in much the same “burn out fast and fade away” manner. My favorite total package is Hollie. Natural, unassuming and largely overlooked by the judges. I think Elise is also great but unfortunately I don’t think she appeals to the mainstream……..nothing wrong with that. I just can’t think of any other reason that she would not be getting votes………..I actually liked her verson of “Let’s Get It On”.

4. Anne says:

What I want to happen:
    1. Jessica – simply talented and deserves to win. Gave the most moments this season. And I just love her.

2. Skylar/Elise/Joshua (lol I just love them all) – I’m only started listening to country because of Skylar, she’s amazing and I just love her voice and her range is so high. Elise has an amazing voice and I just love her. Joshua is very talented and is the best male singer of this batch, Joshua’s music is not really my type but I’m only putting him in this place because of this unbelievable talent.

5. Phillip – He was my favorite from the start but until the live shows because he sounded the same every week. He needs to do something new yet amazing to be on the top of my list again. But he’s still good at what he does even if he sounds the same.

6. Colton – Yeah I get it that he’s really talented but I don’t know why but I just don’t like him maybe because his music isn’t my type.

7. Hollie – I really like her and hope she could reach top 5 because she’s really talented. But even though she is really talented she still needs some more time to grow because compared to the others she isn’t up to par. She could potentially go up my list if she grows.

What I think will happen:
    1. Phillip/Colton – Really big fanbase

3. Jessica – Talented and has a big fanbase

4. Skylar – Talented but she has many haters and smaller fanbase compared to the ones above.

5. Joshua – Talented but not as big fanbase or maybe because not a lot listen to Gospel or his type of music.

6. Hollie/Elise – They’re both talented but compared to the others they don’t have a really big fanbase. Elise is always in the bottom.

Basically this season is very talented and it’s very hard to decide.

5. Rebecca says:

Elise always has been and always will be my favorite. I don’t think it’s really accurate to say that she doesn’t have a strong fanbase, because as an EliTe I can tell you that she does. It’s just that Idol demographics sadly work against her no matter how she performs and no matter how much we vote. Which believe me, is a ton.

6. alroy says:

Skylar sounds extremely and irritatingly NASAL. Josh sounds just like a male version of Fantasia or any black church singer who’s made it to AI which isn’t a good thing. Colton sounds like one of Jonas brothers – too teenybopper. Jessica is very versatile but must work hard on her charms. Philiips definitely has got all the charms but must work hard on versatility. Elise is very unique, like a rebellious sister of Mariah Carey, but only not as lovable as Mariah.

7. alroy says:

God I totally forgot about Hollie! She’s good, but she’s amateurish in comparison to the other contestants. Maybe that’s why I forgot about her.

8. dan tumesa says:

It’s Jessica and Jessica alone! She’ll WIN!

9. dan says:

My Rankings!
    1. Jessica Sanchez
    2. Hollie Cavanagh
    3. Ellise Testone
    4. P2
    5. Joshua Ledet
    6. Skylar Laine

10. dan says:

google searches for top 6 idols….

Skylar Laine 2, 910, 000