Private Practice Recap: 'Do You Want To Comb Your Hair, Or...?'

Warning: The following recap, by the very definition of the word “recap,” contains spoilers from Tuesday’s Private Practice.

Longtime viewers of ABC’s Private Practice were promised that a payoff five years in the making was coming, that “major news… happy news” (as series creator Shonda Rhimes very recently tweeted) was on the way.

And boom, at the close of the show’s spring premiere/Tuesdays-at-10 debut, there it was, thank Judi — Addison was getting a frickin’ baby.

KaDee Strickland Sounds Off on Private Practice‘s Tuesday Move and Teases ‘A Helluva Finale!’

Of course, the newborn’s arrival came swaddled in plenty of irony, seeing as Addison had decided to derail herself from the baby track. And lord knows, Addison now has plenty else on her plate, having locked lips with both Jake and Sam on the same night (with the latter privately aware that his sometime lady love had gotten baby off her brain). And all of that seemed to inform an odd look on Ad’s face as her therapist confronted her about what she must be feeling as a new mom.

Was Addison’s measured reaction and utter silence meant to say she had in fact succeeded in talking herself out of having maternal feelings? Or was she simply stunned by the turn of events? (Her expression upon meeting Henry and in the promos for next week indicate the latter, that Addison is most definitely a pleased-as-punch parent.)

Ratings: Private Practice Down in Its Tuesday Debut

Elsewhere in the hour….

• Mason held out hope that his mom would be saved/cured, but Cooper urged the lad to come to terms with the tragic truth. Charlotte meanwhile helped Erica during her final hours, ultimately convincing the dying mother to let her son see her one final time. And though Cooper — who earlier had shared his own final, touching goodbye with the mother of his son — for a moment suspected it’d be too much, Mason ultimately went up to and on Erica’s bed, and embraced her, sobbing, as she soon enough flatlined. Damn good child actor.

• Pete and Violet, fresh off her break-up with Scott, mutually recognized they still love each other. Violet, though, stopped them short of falling back into each other’s arms/bed, instead insisting that they needed to “do the work” and fix the problems that marred their marriage in the first place. And Pete agreed.

• Over in the Land of Anvils, Addison made it her mission to have Amelia make peace with her pregnant state, inviting her to witness yet another “garden-variety miracle” (meaning: childbirth, and Judi’s at that!), cooing that her child will be just as cute as Judi’s, and even clearing out her home office-slash-would-be-nursery to serve as Amelia’s own baby room. The day-long pep talk appeared to improve the mom-to-be’s disposition.

• Sheldon, who during the episode battled Jake over the case of a pregnant woman who had killed her two other children, abruptly skedaddled out of town after getting an urgent-y phone call from his ex-wife.

What did you think of this Private Practice episode five years in the making? What were your favorite moments?

1. I am so happy Addison got her baby! I don’t even care about the rest of the episode!

2. Afrouz says:

Charlott/Cooper scenes are always my favorite scenes! It was a great episode!

• marmar says:

This was one of the best storylines. The acting was wonderful.

• Lexie says:

I hope you’re happy the storyline with Manson and his dying mother killed the show. They killed the chemistry of CharCoop. Cant remember the last Charlotte and Cooper scene without Manson in it.

3. Andrea says:

Who was Jodi? Was she just in this episode? Or in a previous one too?!

• Sarah Delory says:

I was wondering the same thing, so I did a little research and couldn’t find any reference to a Judi in past episodes this season. Then I figured I would find the actress and look at her IMDB to see what other episodes she had been in. Her name is Emily Moss Wilson and she has not been on the show before, nor has she been on Grey’s. It seems like that must be one of the story lines for next week… who this lady is, how she knows Addison & why she wants to give Addison her baby.

• S says:

I completely thought I missed something. I feel better now that I know I didn’t miss something huge like that.

• Amy says:

I dug around and back in 2008 or 2009 there was a character named Judi (played by Sarah Drew) who gave up a baby for adoption who had serious health issues. Addision stepped in and helped guide the girl through the process and was her main support system. I’m pretty sure this is the character that they have in this episode (just played by a new girl since Sarah Drew is now a lead on Grey’s Anatomy).

• blairb says:

she used to teach the neighborhood girls how to touch themselves, aka a pedophile

• Natalie says:

She was in this episode. She was the mom that gave birth to the “beautiful baby boy” that Addison called Amelia in for. He’s the baby that changed Amelia’s mind about her own baby. : )

• J23D says:

Addison was delivering her baby with Amelia!! how did you not notice!!?

4. Amy says:

Addison kissing on Jake and Sam in the same episode? The more things change the more they stay the same with Addison….unfortunately. Any over/under’s on how long the drawn out, over dramatic love triangle will play out next season?

5. Chris says:

I hope Sheldon stays gone. I like the actor, but the character sucks. It’s so implausible that he would still be working with the team and friendly with all of them, especially Violet and Pete, after the whole relationship with Violet/is he her baby’s father thing. He’s never really fit well into the show.

I don’t care one bit about Addison’s baby drama.

The material with Mason, Cooper, Erica, and Charlotte was really good. It was rough that there was the hope/expectation she would survive and then she died in this episode, but it made for strong drama.

A Pete/Violet reconciliation is also a good move, though I like that it’s not being rushed.

6. Christy says:

Super happy that Addison finally got her baby. But she has GOT to stop kissing Sam. He doesn’t want a baby and it was kinda skeevy that he ran to her as soon as he found out she decided against the baby. And I hope they keep the focus on the baby for a while before they go back to the man drama (or better yet…dont).
    The Cooper/Charlotte/Mason/Erica story had me sobbing all night. Great acting from all and I am loving what they have done with the formally cold Charlotte.
    Finally can we PLEASE stop with the therapy and Addison narrating her own life!

• Margaret says:

AJ Langer (Erica) & Griffin Gluck (Mason) was sooo good in this episode!! Kudos to the writers for taking a new angle on what could have become a hated storyline (one-night stand shows up w/ a kid) & introducing to sides of Cooper & Charlotte we hadn’t seen before.

7. coord38n27w says:

This episode had the last 5 minutes pure of greatness.

Plot-device-mom too way to long to die. Like eight episodes too long… No wonder some people call plot-device-son, Manson, like the killer. The entire arc of endless boredom might have killed PP, even before the move.

• Lexie says:

I agree. Charlotte and Cooper’s chemistry was a big draw to Pp but we haven’t seen in this season since they haven’t had a scen together since the dying mother and Manson joined the show. Looks like Manson kille Private Practice. lol

8. I’m happy for Addie. Now that Addison has a baby, is it the end of Private Practice? The reason she went to Ocean Wellness was because she wanted a baby.

9. exfromtheleft says:

Sam & Addison still? really? i thought this ship had sailed and sunk a while ago, give him another love interest or some familly stuff to solve, he was really interesting as a character when his sister was around, or make him go through a phase of meaningless dates like the one he had with that blonde

10. Ivy says:

I agree! No more Addison & Sam! Please! I also agree with the above. Kinda funny he came back after knowing Addison wasn’t trying to have a child again. Don’t like it one bit! Or maybe I just love Jake aka Benjamin Bratt…yummy! Lol

11. llws says:

I guess I am the ONLY one who wants Sam and Addison to stay…but….once he finds out that Addison finally has a child…WELL…if he walks…I think Shonda should just make that for good. No point in it going back and forth. Oh and can I get a round of applause for the kid that plays Mason…phenomenal acting! That whole storyline was so gut wrenching…kudos to the actors in that storyline because they just made it seem so damn real. It’ll be interesting to see how Charlotte will be because although formally an ice queen…I don’t think itll be easy to be the automatic 24/7/365 mommy. As for Pete and Violet…I am SO OVER thier relationship….let’s just end it…I can’t stand Pete! Anyways…all in all…great episode! I really hope PP gets renewed…for at least one more season! Cmon ABC!

12. Carmen says:

I have to say that when Addie was kissing Jake, all I could think of was “My eyes, my eyes!” (Phoebe/Friends…) . I don’t like him AT ALL! He’s too pretentious & simply wrong for her. He just wants her as his trophy, he doesn’t love her.
    Addie loves Sam and Sam loves her. Simple as that. No matter what they do, an affair with Jake is just too forced and staged for me.

13. Angie says:

I can’t say I was thrilled with the episode, but it wasn’t bad either. So, here are my thoughts:
    a) I am really sad about how much Mason’s mother was suffering! What a torture :( It was good that he got to be with her in her final moments. I am glad that Charlotte helped them both and that she really loves Mason.
    b) Violet and Pete are still in love. It’s obvious and I believe that this time will make it. When they’re good together, they are really funny and nice
    c) Sheldon and Amelia…. I like them together. No idea why, to me they just fit. I know the age difference is big but I like them.
    d) Addison…. I really hope her love triangles will somehow come to an end, but the way the handled how she finally got her baby, only leaves the show again to turn around her and her love life… Kinda tired of it. I am glad she finally got a baby, she really deserved it, though the was she got it was not unique or amazing as then had promised. It was really boring to me, anyway… I hope she realizes soon that she loves Sam and no matter what she does, she won’t be able to resist him, especially since, according to the cast interviews, Sam is really bonding with her baby in the upcoming episodes and if he does bond with it and loves it, there’s no way Addison will not want to be with him.
    e) Jack is fake to me. They try to show him like “the perfect guy” but nobody’s “perfect” in Shonda’s shows, so I think when they reveal his dark side, it won’t be nice at all. One of the signs was him telling Addison in a previous episode that she should’t care for Sam, who besides her ex was also her friend for more than 20 years… That shows a person with control issues. Neither Pete nor Sam ever told Addison who she should care about or not, even at the time she was with Pete but loved Sam…

14. K says:

About time that Addie finally got her baby. About time. I’m ecstatic. I just hope Shonda doesn’t have the cruelty in her to take Henry away again. Please, give her a break. Let her have this one thing she’s wanted for years.

And Shonda should stop with the stupid love triangles. Sam needs to leave Addison alone, given how adamant he has been about not having another child. Also, he had no right to be mad at Addison or Jake for kissing, judging from the 5×19 promo, Addison is not in a relationship with him anymore, full stop.

Team Addison/Jake/baby all the way.

15. mika says:

Judi is not a character from an previous episode. She and Addison knew each other b/c Addison delivered her baby in front of Amelia earlier in the episode. That is the only connection.

16. Caitlin says:

Oh my gosh! I’m not a cryer, nor am I normally a PP fan, but that episode…

17. GS says:

Loved this episode! The Erica dying stuff had me sobbing so bad my puppy got freaked. That kid that plays Mason was superb! I am so over Sam and Addison! I want her with Jake. Sam doesn’t want a baby so let that ship stay sailed. Glad Addie got her baby and it was cool she had delivered him. I love the development in Charlotte. Kadee is a great actress! Hope it gets renewed!

• Joann says:

I was an adult when I lost my mom — that scene brought me to tears, sobbing so hard, I had to pause my TV so that I could stop crying and see what the end of the story is. I have to say — Emmy voters, give KaDee the award NOW! She has done some incredible work the last two seasons!! Can’t wait to see what the rest of the season brings us.

• tvaddict70 says:

I so agree that KaDee deserves an emmy for this year and last year – she has been phenomenol. Great storyline with her, mason, erika, and cooper.

• Krista says:

Amen! I totally second this comment. KaDee has kicked some major booty with her acting the last two seasons with her storylines and really brought about depth to her character. Honestly, Charlotte was kind of a you what in the first two seasons and KaDee (and Shonda!) have done an amazing job of making her a truly likeable character.

18. Kim says:

Loved this episode! I am so sick of the Addison wavering between like 10 different guys thing. It’s not that she hasn’t found the one, but that we go back and forth and up and down with the SAME GUYS!!! I’m so over Sam and Addison because they break up and get back together but while they are in their off times Addie goes to Jake (or some other guy) and it’s just really annoying.

Yeah, Judy was Addie’s patient. When Judy was looking at the book for potential adoptive moms she found Addie’s picture so she figured that Addison is the one she should pick.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the Cooper/Charlotte/Mason/Erica story. It’s actually a decently original plot line, has some great actors including Mason who I love as a character, it makes Charlotte even more human and likeable and she is an AMAZING stepmom/support/mom for Mason and really is there for Cooper. I have loved seeing someone I never would have thought would become a mom really do an amazing job with Mason. Sure there are going to be times where she really needs to learn how to be a mom and with a teen at that, but she’s great with the emotional and understanding side. I loved in the last episode when Mason ran to Charlotte and all. I soooo cried like all of the last couple weeks with this story.

19. Such a good episode. It was wort the wait. And really, Sheldon has an ex-wife?

Mason being with Erica during her final moments had me in tears. Cooper thanking Erica for Mason had me in tears. Charlotte standing outside the hallway, feeling so affected by everything, then Pete hugging her. More heartbreak. I can’t wait to see how Charlotte and Cooper deal with being full time parents now.

And yay for Addison getting her baby. But please, just say no to AddiSam.

20. Cher says:

I have to agree with the Addison love triangle thing!!!! Let it go for a while. Let her focus on being a Mom. I have absolutely LOVED the Charlotte transformation…..I stopped watching for a couple of seasons until this season. I’m so glad I returned for this superb season. I love seeing the softer side of Charlotte. Erica’s character and Mason’s character deserve to be nominated for an emmy for their performance!!!!

21. airhead says:

yay for Addison finally getting a baby!!! But I agree, can we just ditch all the love triangle stuff? Especially the Sam part. If she did have to end up with someone, I’d rather it was Jake

22. Carla says:

I haven’t watched PP in quite some time, but this made me so happy! Addison finally has a baby :D

23. Lori says:

I thought it was a good episode, and I agree with most who say no more Addie and Sam, please. But I don’t think Jake is that great either. Benjamin Bratt hasn’t aged well at all, he used to be so cute. Has he had botched surgery or Botox???? I also like Pete and Violet as a couple, but have no clue what Pete is really about. And yes Kadee has been amazing and should be recognized.

24. zakspeak says:

Send Addison back to Seattle/Grey’s and put Private Practice out of its misery.

25. the girl says:

Can I just say how happy I am to see Private Practice get a recap? This show is amazing and for it to finally be out of the shadow of Grey’s makes me so happy. The storylines of PP and the direction has always been more adult and more daring and this episode was no different. Love this show.

26. Alex says:

Last night’s episode was good, but this season has been boring. The only decent SL is the Cooper/Charlotte.. Don’t really care for Addison/Sam/Jake or Amelia. I used to think PP was better than Grey’s but not anymore.

27. LaLa says:

I loved this episode last night. Of course, I was wiping the tears away, too. Loved Cooper and Charlotte’s S/L. I really don’t care who Addison ends up with – I like Sam and Jake. Although, I do wonder if Sam was planning to tell Addison that he knew she wasn’t trying to have a baby anymore. That he went running to her once he heard that was very shady. I’m pulling for Amelia and Sheldon. And I’m not all that invested in Pete and Violet.
    I love this show, and I hope it gets at least one more good season in before being cancelled.

28. Becca says:

Great episode! So happy to see Addie get her baby and Violet/Pete kinda sorta get back together. And wow, everybody involved in the Erica story line did a stellar job! KaDee especially, Charlotte’s become my favorite character over the past couple seasons.

29. dave says:

I have a very strong feeling that one of the season finale cliffhangers will be that Charlotte will find out she is pregnant. She has been an amazing actress for the last 3 years

30. Julie says:

Can’t stop crying. I have an 8 year-old son. Just imagining how he would feel if that was me in the hospital bed. My heart is breaking.

31. Ilaria_26 says:

It was a very good episode, maybe one of the best this season. Charlotte/Cooper/Erica/Mason storyline was very well done. About Addisam I think it was a huge mistake since the start, and it worked very bad for Addisam’s character and even for the show that started losing a very big part of viewers in season 4. Addison has to grow up, and now that she is Henry’s mother I’m sure she will do (and please Shonda don’t do nothing bad to that poor baby!). In the other hand I think Jake can be Addison’s fresh start, he isn’t not related with her past and he is sweet and kind, so why not go for him?

32. Donna says:

Love everyone’s comments on Addison and her love triangles……. But no one has said anything about Amelia’s baby!!!!!!! Did anyone else stop the dvr and really look at that unborn child? That fetus looks to have some serious birth defects!!!!