Dancing With the Stars Week 5 Results Recap: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

jaleel white gavin degraw dwtsThis was the week when Carrie Ann, Len, and Bruno took back a little more power from the people on Dancing With the Stars. (Given what happened on The Voice this week, apparently mistrusting the will of your audience is a hot TV trend for 2012!)

Yes, instead of the couple with the lowest combined total of judges’ scores and viewer votes getting eliminated, Week 5 of DWTS‘ 14th season found the Bottom 2 couples engaged in a results-show dance-off.

Here’s how things played out:

Bottom Two Couples
Jaleel White and Kym Johnson
Gavin DeGraw and Karina Smirnoff

Cha Cha Dance-Off!
Jaleel & Kym: “There’s no way I’m going home,” said Jaleel in his pre-recorded package, and he reiterated that belief by delivering the opening line of the Dreamgirls‘ anthem “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” when asked if he’d expected to wind up in the bottom two. “And if it was a singing competition, that might help,” joshed the quick-witted Tom Bergeron. To sum up the couple’s Cha Cha in 10 words or less: Loose and limber. That “through the legs” maneuver sealed the deal.

Gavin & Karina: “Jaleel’s more talented than I am,” admitted Gavin when Tom probed the rock star’s pre-dance-off psyche. “I bet you’re wishing this was a singing competition!” said Tom, who really needs an Emmy. To sum up the couple’s Cha Cha in 10 words or less: The knee-walk was cute, but geriatric. What’s under the hat, sir? Adieu!

And then it was unanimous: The judges voted 3-0 to save Jaleel and Kym.

Gavin, for his part, never stopped smiling, praising his pro partner and noting the DWTS experience brought him closer to his family. “This gave us something to talk about,” he said with his trademark enthusiasm. You can’t say he’s not a class act.

What did you think? Did Gavin and Karina deserve to get booted? If not, who should have been eliminated? Sound off in the comments!

1. Amy says:

I knew Gavin would probably be leaving tonight, but I think he deserved to stay longer. He has such a sweet personality and was really improving as a dancer!

2. Okonkwo says:

Gavin is an incredible person and he’s a great role model for a lot of people out there. He outshines Jaleel there, who I’m not too fond of. But dancing wise, Jaleel is much better. I’m curious as to what couple actually was at the bottom and should’ve been eliminated tonight.

• Kim R says:

I really like Gavin as well. He does outshine Jaleel in all ways….but dancing. :( It was apparent who was the better dancer but I’m still sorry to see him go. And may I ask…what is with the lip licking of Jaleel? Nervous tick?

3. Zandra Pendleton says:

Gavin is leaving us now? How sad. I really enjoyed getting to know him. He did such a good job, showed improvement each week and had the best attitude.

4. Red says:

Just glad I don’t have to deal with Karina anymore. Sorry, Gavin!

5. Kaa says:

Gavin was boring.

6. tina says:

REALLY SAD GAVIN IS NOW LEAVING… I NEVER KNOWN OF HIM TILL NOW AND IN THESE WEEKS MAKES ME WANT TO KNOW MORE OF HIM AND KNOW OF HIS TALENTS…I THINK YOU ARE QUITE THE GENTLEMAN AND A WONDERFUL MAN..GOOD LUCK TO YOU IN WHATEVER YOU DO IN LIFE….

7. llws says:

Jaleel has great potential…he started off SUPER well..and has been on a slow decline…and I think that Kym needs to throw everything at Jaleel and the kitchen sink. Jaleel is a good dancer, she needs to do way more with her dances and really challenge Jaleel to some wild routines. I hope them being in the bottom 2 will help Kym and Jaleel really up their dances in terms of complex, storyline and chemistry

8. Chris says:

THANK GOD GAVIN IS GONE NOW!!!! HE’S A GREAT SINGER BUT A HORRIBLE DANCER!!!

9. Chris says:

I MISSPELLED HORRIBLE!

10. tom says:

i wish it was jaleel going home, i wonder if he really would have had it been him. But it was very clear that jaleel brought it in the duel and gavin spent most of his time on his knees. I love karina. But why is melissa still there, ugh!

• Paula says:

Exactly! Who is voting for Melissa? Gavin did need to go home, though, even though he’s a sweetheart.

• tom says:

maks fans are unfortunately voting for maks and don’t care who his partner is. makes me wish that he had sherri as a partner, at least she was fun to watch. I love watching someone who is actually excited about being there.

• TheFactsR says:

Next week is a double elimination night as far as the information I have on DWTS. So next week should take out Gladys and Melissa or Jaleel depending how the lowest scores/votes go. The first to leave next week should be the lowest overall total then the next two lowest dance off and the judges will pick one of those to leave. They are not fond of Melissa most of all then Jaleel, they sort of favor Gladys of the 3 but know she is not the best dancer. I really hope Katherine and Maria have a bad week along with Gladys and both katherine and Maria leave the same week. Would be soooooo funnnnn.

11. Even though Gavin wasn’t the best dancer it was so fun to see him every week and he was so funny! I’m really going to miss him.

12. Angela says:

Pretty much agree with everyone else. Gavin seems like a cool guy, but he was the weakest, so I figured his time was up. Shame, but eh, well.

I was slightly surprised Jaleel was his competition, though. I thought Gladys or Melissa would be facing off with him before Jaleel would.

13. spotupshooter says:

I was lucky enough to meet Gavin a few times this past fall while he was on tour with David Cook, and what you see on TV is exactly how he is in person – sweet, generous & energetic. I’m sorry his time on DWTS is up, but I’m glad more of America was able to get to know him a little bit. He’s a good dude.

14. jagprompts says:

I do think Jaleel is a better dancer than Gavin, but I hate that the judges feel they need to be in control at all times. Their scoring is so inconsistent! I would love to know with Jaleel and Gavin in the bottom 2, which would have gone home if it was solely up to the voters. The judges have their favorites and they will do whatever they can to make sure those favorites stay as long as possible!! Too bad it has to be that way.

15. Belle says:

my question is, was Gavin the lowest vote getter after the show?? not sure i like that the judges took control back from the viewers…is that where American Idol is heading to – so when America gets it wrong at least they can reverse the decision?????????????

16. Sam says:

why even have us vote, if they are going to be the final say in the end?????????? i can’t believe we are all still watching these shows (DWTS, AI, etal.) getting sick of all of them personally, ugh going to watch regular scripted shows now – bored to death with “reality”

• Jen says:

Amen, these competition reality shows have become stale and just really not as fun as they used to be! Let’s come up with something new and exciting…time to put these shows out to pasture :)

• Anna says:

Couldn’t AGREE more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have no idea why I even clicked on this story – I am not interested in it whatsoever…going cold turkey, dropping these shows from my DVR anyone with me????

17. GMom says:

I’m getting really tired of the reality shows too!! The Voice, A. I, – I don’t watch DWTS. The only one I really get excited about is So You Think You Can Dance! Such talent and choreography!! Love it! Also, The Sing-Iff!! Real talent there, too!

18. Karen says:

I really liked Gavin. He seems like such a genuinely nice guy and funny! Jaleel is not very likable…arrogant. And I SO believe the stories about his abusive behavior towards his partner. Jaleel is the better dancer, but I still wish he had been the one to go.

19. susola says:

Gavin is a terrible dancer and should’ve left last week, giving Sherri Sheppard, a superior dancer, an extra week. It’s about time they kicked him to the kerb…

20. satsuma says:

Melissa has never been in jeopardy , or the bottom two. What makes anyone think she’s going anywhere?

21. Ana says:

After what happened last week, I’m glad the judges took some of the power back. Over the seasons it has been really disheartening to see people be voted out before their time while some less talented dancers were voted to stay. This is a dancing competitition, not a popularity contest. The best dancers should stay. I loved Gavin’s personality and spirit. He’s the epitome of a good sportsman, but sadly, he was painful to watch on the dance floor.

22. Cat says:

Gavin has such a great personality, playful, and makes everyone feel special. I have been to a few of his concerts and chatted with him a few times and he is just the nicest guy, so down to earth and happy/quirky. Plus he really dances very well on stage, especially when he does the song “Sweeter”. However, he was hilariously bad on DWTS, so I guess it was time. Still, I am sure he was not the bottom vote getter. They are changing the rules! :(

23. Melissa says:

I liked Gavin more, but did kind of see this coming.
    Also, I completely agree how has Tom not won an Emmy!!! That is an outrage!!!