Dancing With the Stars Week 5 Results Recap: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

jaleel white gavin degraw dwtsThis was the week when Carrie Ann, Len, and Bruno took back a little more power from the people on Dancing With the Stars. (Given what happened on The Voice this week, apparently mistrusting the will of your audience is a hot TV trend for 2012!)

Yes, instead of the couple with the lowest combined total of judges’ scores and viewer votes getting eliminated, Week 5 of DWTS‘ 14th season found the Bottom 2 couples engaged in a results-show dance-off.

Here’s how things played out:

Bottom Two Couples
Jaleel White and Kym Johnson
Gavin DeGraw and Karina Smirnoff

Cha Cha Dance-Off!
Jaleel & Kym: “There’s no way I’m going home,” said Jaleel in his pre-recorded package, and he reiterated that belief by delivering the opening line of the Dreamgirls‘ anthem “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” when asked if he’d expected to wind up in the bottom two. “And if it was a singing competition, that might help,” joshed the quick-witted Tom Bergeron. To sum up the couple’s Cha Cha in 10 words or less: Loose and limber. That “through the legs” maneuver sealed the deal.

Gavin & Karina: “Jaleel’s more talented than I am,” admitted Gavin when Tom probed the rock star’s pre-dance-off psyche. “I bet you’re wishing this was a singing competition!” said Tom, who really needs an Emmy. To sum up the couple’s Cha Cha in 10 words or less: The knee-walk was cute, but geriatric. What’s under the hat, sir? Adieu!

And then it was unanimous: The judges voted 3-0 to save Jaleel and Kym.

Gavin, for his part, never stopped smiling, praising his pro partner and noting the DWTS experience brought him closer to his family. “This gave us something to talk about,” he said with his trademark enthusiasm. You can’t say he’s not a class act.

What did you think? Did Gavin and Karina deserve to get booted? If not, who should have been eliminated? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (38)

• I knew Gavin would probably be leaving tonight, but I think he deserved to stay longer. He has such a sweet personality and was really improving as a dancer!

Comment by Amy – April 17, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it suppose to be a personality contest or a dance contest? your comments are confusing and irrevelant to this show.

Comment by andy – April 18, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If it were a dancing contest Gladys would have been gone a long time ago. ALL these shows are popularity contest.

Comment by diego – April 19, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with you ,but its sad what they do for rankings.

Comment by andy – April 19, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gavin is an incredible person and he’s a great role model for a lot of people out there. He outshines Jaleel there, who I’m not too fond of. But dancing wise, Jaleel is much better. I’m curious as to what couple actually was at the bottom and should’ve been eliminated tonight.

Comment by Okonkwo – April 17, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like Gavin as well. He does outshine Jaleel in all ways….but dancing. :( It was apparent who was the better dancer but I’m still sorry to see him go. And may I ask…what is with the lip licking of Jaleel? Nervous tick?

Comment by Kim R – April 18, 2012 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gavin is leaving us now? How sad. I really enjoyed getting to know him. He did such a good job, showed improvement each week and had the best attitude.

Comment by Zandra Pendleton – April 17, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just glad I don’t have to deal with Karina anymore. Sorry, Gavin!

Comment by Red – April 17, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gavin was boring.

Comment by Kaa – April 17, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • REALLY SAD GAVIN IS NOW LEAVING… I NEVER KNOWN OF HIM TILL NOW AND IN THESE WEEKS MAKES ME WANT TO KNOW MORE OF HIM AND KNOW OF HIS TALENTS…I THINK YOU ARE QUITE THE GENTLEMAN AND A WONDERFUL MAN..GOOD LUCK TO YOU IN WHATEVER YOU DO IN LIFE….

Comment by tina – April 17, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jaleel has great potential…he started off SUPER well..and has been on a slow decline…and I think that Kym needs to throw everything at Jaleel and the kitchen sink. Jaleel is a good dancer, she needs to do way more with her dances and really challenge Jaleel to some wild routines. I hope them being in the bottom 2 will help Kym and Jaleel really up their dances in terms of complex, storyline and chemistry

Comment by llws – April 17, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK GOD GAVIN IS GONE NOW!!!! HE’S A GREAT SINGER BUT A HORRIBLE DANCER!!!

Comment by Chris – April 17, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I MISSPELLED HORRIBLE!

Comment by Chris – April 17, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You also jammed your Caps Lock key…

Comment by Ryana – April 17, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wish it was jaleel going home, i wonder if he really would have had it been him. But it was very clear that jaleel brought it in the duel and gavin spent most of his time on his knees. I love karina. But why is melissa still there, ugh!

Comment by tom – April 17, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! Who is voting for Melissa? Gavin did need to go home, though, even though he’s a sweetheart.

Comment by Paula – April 17, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • maks fans are unfortunately voting for maks and don’t care who his partner is. makes me wish that he had sherri as a partner, at least she was fun to watch. I love watching someone who is actually excited about being there.

Comment by tom – April 17, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes. Yes to everything you just said. Truly sad about Gavin and Sherri both gone….

Comment by Spencer – April 17, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Next week is a double elimination night as far as the information I have on DWTS. So next week should take out Gladys and Melissa or Jaleel depending how the lowest scores/votes go. The first to leave next week should be the lowest overall total then the next two lowest dance off and the judges will pick one of those to leave. They are not fond of Melissa most of all then Jaleel, they sort of favor Gladys of the 3 but know she is not the best dancer. I really hope Katherine and Maria have a bad week along with Gladys and both katherine and Maria leave the same week. Would be soooooo funnnnn.

Comment by TheFactsR – April 18, 2012 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though Gavin wasn’t the best dancer it was so fun to see him every week and he was so funny! I’m really going to miss him.

Comment by Gabrielle Chantel (@WonderlandGabby) – April 17, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty much agree with everyone else. Gavin seems like a cool guy, but he was the weakest, so I figured his time was up. Shame, but eh, well.

I was slightly surprised Jaleel was his competition, though. I thought Gladys or Melissa would be facing off with him before Jaleel would.

Comment by Angela – April 17, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was lucky enough to meet Gavin a few times this past fall while he was on tour with David Cook, and what you see on TV is exactly how he is in person – sweet, generous & energetic. I’m sorry his time on DWTS is up, but I’m glad more of America was able to get to know him a little bit. He’s a good dude.

Comment by spotupshooter – April 18, 2012 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do think Jaleel is a better dancer than Gavin, but I hate that the judges feel they need to be in control at all times. Their scoring is so inconsistent! I would love to know with Jaleel and Gavin in the bottom 2, which would have gone home if it was solely up to the voters. The judges have their favorites and they will do whatever they can to make sure those favorites stay as long as possible!! Too bad it has to be that way.

Comment by jagprompts – April 18, 2012 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my question is, was Gavin the lowest vote getter after the show?? not sure i like that the judges took control back from the viewers…is that where American Idol is heading to – so when America gets it wrong at least they can reverse the decision?????????????

Comment by Belle – April 18, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why even have us vote, if they are going to be the final say in the end?????????? i can’t believe we are all still watching these shows (DWTS, AI, etal.) getting sick of all of them personally, ugh going to watch regular scripted shows now – bored to death with “reality”

Comment by Sam – April 18, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen, these competition reality shows have become stale and just really not as fun as they used to be! Let’s come up with something new and exciting…time to put these shows out to pasture :)

Comment by Jen – April 18, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Couldn’t AGREE more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have no idea why I even clicked on this story – I am not interested in it whatsoever…going cold turkey, dropping these shows from my DVR anyone with me????

Comment by Anna – April 18, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m getting really tired of the reality shows too!! The Voice, A. I, – I don’t watch DWTS. The only one I really get excited about is So You Think You Can Dance! Such talent and choreography!! Love it! Also, The Sing-Iff!! Real talent there, too!

Comment by GMom – April 18, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Gavin. He seems like such a genuinely nice guy and funny! Jaleel is not very likable…arrogant. And I SO believe the stories about his abusive behavior towards his partner. Jaleel is the better dancer, but I still wish he had been the one to go.

Comment by Karen – April 18, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gavin is a terrible dancer and should’ve left last week, giving Sherri Sheppard, a superior dancer, an extra week. It’s about time they kicked him to the kerb…

Comment by susola – April 18, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melissa has never been in jeopardy , or the bottom two. What makes anyone think she’s going anywhere?

Comment by satsuma – April 18, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After what happened last week, I’m glad the judges took some of the power back. Over the seasons it has been really disheartening to see people be voted out before their time while some less talented dancers were voted to stay. This is a dancing competitition, not a popularity contest. The best dancers should stay. I loved Gavin’s personality and spirit. He’s the epitome of a good sportsman, but sadly, he was painful to watch on the dance floor.

Comment by Ana – April 18, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gavin has such a great personality, playful, and makes everyone feel special. I have been to a few of his concerts and chatted with him a few times and he is just the nicest guy, so down to earth and happy/quirky. Plus he really dances very well on stage, especially when he does the song “Sweeter”. However, he was hilariously bad on DWTS, so I guess it was time. Still, I am sure he was not the bottom vote getter. They are changing the rules! :(

Comment by Cat – April 19, 2012 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Gavin more, but did kind of see this coming.
    Also, I completely agree how has Tom not won an Emmy!!! That is an outrage!!!

Comment by Melissa – April 19, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post